Remembering 21: Portis Reflects

There's more from Clinton Portis, one of Sean Taylor's closest friends on the Redskins, on the death of his teammate. Jason Reid reports.

"I mean, it's tough, you know? To think ... that he's actually been gone for a year, a year ago this dark cloud came over our head. Of course he'll always be missed. Everybody's going to always - well, I'm not sure everybody - but we'll always keep him in our mind and in our prayers. And go out and let him spark us."

On wearing a tribute T-shirt under his jersey during games: "I have it on in practice sometimes, too, but really for the game."

On how Portis has changed: "It's definitely changed me, the way I handle and the way I carry myself. I don't worry about what other people think. ... He didn't like attention. He didn't do characters. But you see the effect that he left behind, [it makes] you realize, 'What's my effect on people going to be when I'm gone? How are people going to look at me?' ...I think about that the way I come out and practice, pushing myself through stuff that I would normally sit back and take a mental rep on. Just being accountable and always wanting to be giving, make sure you're giving your all. You never know. If I leave here tomorrow, they won't be complaining ... 'We were like, well, Clinton the last week of his life, he gave us what he had.'"

On whether it's any easier a year later: "I don't think time heal wounds. I really think in time, it make you miss people more. I think the idea of, the realization of, you're not going to see that person, they're not coming back. It gets tougher in time. I think early on, it's like you got memories. All of a sudden once you start repeating memories and thinking about - you can't create anymore."

On his safety: "I got security. But I don't' think I go about my life living on pins and needles. If it's my time, it don't matter what you do. If it's your time, man, God going to take you the way He wants you to go. That's how I live my life. I can't live my life scared or afraid of people, because I think for myself I go out and I respect people. And I hope that people respect me. I don't put myself in harm's way. I'm going to continue to protect myself. I'm not going to agree with everything everybody say to me, and I'm sure I'm going to exchange words with people. And if it go down, it go down."

On a lasting memory: "Just our last conversation. That Saturday, as he walked out of the locker room, I always remember just the last words and him shutting the door or him swinging the door open, that final conversation that he had with me and Santana [Moss] and [I] realized that was it.

"I remember what he said, but I mean it was just our final conversation."

By Cindy Boren  |  November 26, 2008; 2:10 PM ET
Categories:  Remembering 21
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Practice Report
Next: Remembering 21: Fletcher Looks at Game, Life Differently

Comments

dOUBLE POST BY THE POSTER, THATS A FIRST?

Posted by: Zeebs | November 26, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I miss the Portis' characters. I think that was a positive, and brought some levity. I wish he wouldn't connect that to being an "unserious" player.

But that said, CP is the man....all time skin!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 26, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Losable Type is officially on vacation!

Posted by: daggar | November 26, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Great story. FDAGGARACMJLC !!

Posted by: skinfanwhowantsequalrights | November 26, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Read through the entire post, even though it was doubled. Second half was better than the FIRST!

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | November 26, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Cindy padded this post the old fashioned way. ;-)

Posted by: freakzilla | November 26, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 26, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Cindy you posted the same content 2x there.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 26, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe I'm finally caught up on posts. Every time I thought I was down to the last one, a new one appeared.

Please please please get well, Fletch.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 26, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Cyn might be taking a little drink early. LOL
JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 26, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Portis should distinguish levity off he field vs. bringing it on the field. Portis is probably one of the toughest football players ever to don the burgandy and gold. He has my respect. I don't think he's ever cared about being a Skin or not and that has always made me a less attached to him but he brings it on Sundays.

Posted by: Gweez | November 26, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think he's ever cared about being a Skin or not "

Gweez, what does this even mean?

Posted by: chrislarry | November 26, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

CL I didn't get that one myself.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 26, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Gweez, I choked on that one, too... how would you measure such a thing? How would you have any idea what any of these dudes care about deep down?

Seemed like a stealth criticism of CP in there, I can't let it slide :)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 26, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

""Thanks 4-12. I really didn't think it was that hard to figure it out but I guess to some it was.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage "

Why does it need to be on the "anniversary" of his death?

I guess I'm in the minority here but I don't like that our fans are saying "They should be extra amped up because it's in memory of Sean Taylor." That's stupid and it cheapens it so some sort of gimmick.

so save your smart *** comments, it's my opinion

Posted by: TheTruth11"

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 26, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Living here in the SF area, got to see Ronnie Lott play. Best safety I've ever seen.

When Ronnie Lott made the hit, you knew it was Ronnie Lott without ever needing to see the jersey -- because no one else hit the way he did. It was that distinctive and that hard.

Sean Taylor was cut from the same cloth. You didn't needed to see his jersey to know he made the hit.

Would ST21 have been another Ronnie Lott? Couldn't say for sure, that's a very tall order. But very few people could even be considered as having that potential ... and ST21 was one of those.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 26, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Why does it need to be on the "anniversary" of his death?

What other time would be good? That is the time when most everyone is going to be thining of him. Why am I even responding to this. If you don't get it you just don't get it.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 26, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Sorry 'bout that...no alcohol was involved....just Loseable Type fatigue.

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 26, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

How can you tell if he cares about being a Redskin or not?

Posted by: RedDMV | November 26, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I know Cyn. I was teasing you.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 26, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep

Posted by: PBL4 | November 26, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I think Portis care's because he knows the fans love him and that he has a bunch of teammates who he seems to get along with. CP,CC & JC seem to do a bit of hanging out together, as well as CC and SM. But the guy was not a born skins fan.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 26, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

In my honest opinion, 21 paired with Landry would have exceeded even Lott's production on the field. He surely had the physical tools and the drive to be the best ever. He was starting to master the mental aspect of the game. He was already becoming a legend on the field.

Posted by: gregskins | November 26, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't trying to be negative. I never felt he really attached himself to the team, fans, community like other players have. Maybe that is the modern day player and the nature of the beast with FA. Maybe it's just his public persona and I'm misreading it.

As I said, he brings it every week and I have no complaints and certainly didn't present it as fact or educated guess. Just my opinion and an offhanded one at that.

Posted by: Gweez | November 26, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

We all knew this wouldn't be a good 'feeling' day.

Just imagine how people feel who really knows this guy in person.

To me Sean Taylor represents all DMV (DC, MD, & VA) Youth who have been slain on our streets. Since ST has been killed, there has been no slow down of murders in the District/PG County and surrounding areas. The youth are still not respecting life, and I believe this is due to the 3rd generation of living in ignorance (dating back to the 80s and the high homicide rates through the 90s).

People - none of us are Superman. BUT, if you have a chance to turn around just 1 (ONE) youth, you would have done an AMAZING job. I have tried to do my part in all of this and I am asking you to do yours.

Take a youth out to experince something different. Talk to them about life and tale them about your trials and tribulations. Let them know you've tripped up in this world and have been able to stand back up.

If we all do our part and bring back the village thaat it use to take to raise these children/youth, we may spend less time mourning over losing love ones earlier than anyone could expect.......

Ahmad