Wynn Agrees to Terms

Veteran defensive lineman Renaldo Wynn has agreed to terms on a one-year deal according to a league source. The Redskins have been interested in him for a while, and Wynn was a team leader prior to being cut before the 2007 season. Since then he's played with the Saints and the Giants.

He provides a wealth of wisdom to a group of defensive ends that is pretty young overall, and he might end up reunited with his good friend, DE Phillip Daniels, as the Redskins hope to re-sign him to a cap friendly deal as well.

Wynn played in spot situations for the Giants, who boast the deepest line in the league, but here he joins Andre Carter as the only DE with any real NFL experience. Wynn is a run stuffer and solid technical player, but at this stage of his career is not going to provide much burst.

He is as popular as any player to come through this locker room this decade, and will be welcomed back by offensive and defensive players alike. With defensive line coach John Palermo struggling to adjust to the NFL game last year, according to numerous team sources, after a career in college, Wynn's age and expertise should be a bonus in that regard as well.

The deal may not end up becoming official until next week, according to the source, with Wynn expected to join Washington's offseason workout program at that point. He spends offseasons in Las Vegas, but also has a home in this area from his playing days here.

By Jason La Canfora  |  March 16, 2009; 8:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Assess Remaining Options
Next: Campbell Excited about "Chance to Lead"

Comments

great......

why not just can the coach and hire wynn...but to plau...utter joke.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 16, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

first!

Posted by: duncanrobee | March 16, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

When do we get Leigh Torrence back?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 16, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Jason "the 5 foot dumpy reporter" is late again. What's new?

Posted by: Lacantwrite | March 16, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Trade our 4 picks for Detroits #20 and #33.

Take Brown/Jackson/Maualuga at #20 and Britton at #33.

Two holes solved.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 16, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

ROFLMAO:

Top 10 things you didn't know about "TheCork" until now:

10. I work at Circuit City. I've been told I "have what it takes" to seriously advance my career here in the next 3-5 years.

9. Dan Snyder would not buy my girl scout cookies when I knocked on his door in 2004. I have hated him ever since.

8. I met Emilio Garcia-Ruiz at a Post Christmas party 3 years ago. After a few Appletinis and a half hour in the janitor's closet, one thing led to another. He is now my pimp.

7. J-Reid loves it when I rub his bald dome as he eats twinkies. I just love dome. Period.

6. When I married, I took my wife's last name.

5. I do have friends. Both of them are invisible, but they do exist.

4. I used to post under the ID of "Corkczar" because I think Mike Fratello is really hot.

3. I sweat a lot. A LOT.

2. I was the real photgrapher behind the Cooley picture last season.

1. I am the "source close to the team" JLC always talks about. I live 2 miles from Ashburn.

Posted by: TheCork_

Very funny post. Also it is clear the poster has seen "The Forty Year Old Virgin" - employment at an electronics retailer, "I know you're gay because" one liners, etc.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | March 16, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow, our pass rush just got extremely better. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!
However, he is a great character guy.

Posted by: joeboggs | March 16, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

When you've got so many holes to fill and not much cap room, you sign Renaldo Wynn. I figure they won't be filing anymore of the longer term holes ... except with the draft.

Top 30 Skins and will they be here beyond 2 years:

Smoot, No

OL
Jansen, No
Thomas, No
Rabach, Yes
Dockery, Yes
Samuels, Yes (borderline, age)
Heyer, No

TE
Cooley, Yes

QB
Campbell, Yes
Collins, No (age)

RB
Portis, Yes (borderline, age)
Sellers, No

WR
Moss, Yes (borderline, age)
ARE, Yes (borderline)
Thomas, Yes (borderline, hard to tell)

P No
K No

I get:
Yes: 6 (borderline)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 16, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I really like the idea of trading down to get Alex Mack, and hopefully getting a 2nd pick to get a LB. I actually think a C/G is a greater need than RT at this point. Mack can b/u and be heir apparent to rabach, and challenge Randy Thomas as a starter. mack could back up all 3 middle of the line spots. Having Thomas/Mack and Jansen as first off the bench along the line would not suck. If Samuels goes down, Heyer goes left and Jansen is in at RT.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 16, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Why the Redskins should draft an OT if one of them is there at 13:

The Eagles need two OT and have two 1Rd picks. Redskins can either trade the pick or select say Oher, and dangle him to the Eagles for both their firsts or their first 1st and a second. Eagles have 12 picks and could be looking to wheel and deal.

Of course, if I'm the Eeagles, I'm looking to ace the Redskins out of an OT by jumping ahead of us to get Smith or Oher.

I say try to get both Eagles' picks for the 13 and then grab Alex Mack and Brian Cushing. I'm not sure what the "value chart" says a 13 is worth though. Anybody got that?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 16, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

These blogs are great during the offseason...to tide us over, but no one know what the Skins will do...but here's my hunch.

1) Campbell with have a breakout year, provided he stays healthy.

2) Kelly and Thomas will emerge as weapons.

3) Heyer may start at RT.

4) Haynesworth will be a difference maker on the line.

All of this depends on health, but lets look at it. This could have been a 12-4 team with 10 more points per game on offense.

We may be pretty good shape...but if Campbell tanks, so does the team.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 16, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

OR Mack and Britton if Cushing is gone.

Why do I want Mack(or max Unger)? So we can finally quit WASTING a roster spot on Ethan Albright. With the rule that defense can't line up over snapper for place kicks, there is no reason the cneter can not practice enough to hike the damn ball 7 or 12 yards to the holder or punter. That roster spot would be much better filled by an athletic back up LB/DB special teamer.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 16, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

They aren't going to get any sort of deal with the Eagles. They are in the same division and the Eagles know that the Redskins are in more than a bit of a bind. They aren't going to help.

Best bet may be Detroit who also has 2 picks in the 1st round. Or New England. But they will have to surrender picks from next year. That is almost a given.

Expect it to probably happen.

Posted by: periculum | March 16, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

JC will KICK ASS given a) O Line holds up b) Kelly can get on the field and Thomas can run his GD routes properly in July and August.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 16, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

"1) Campbell with have a breakout year, provided he stays healthy.

2) Kelly and Thomas will emerge as weapons.

3) Heyer may start at RT."

Heyer has been tried. He makes a great swingman. Better if he could learn the guard position.

The rest could happen IF they fix the OL with a tackle / guard / and it would be nice to get a new center.

Posted by: periculum | March 16, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

GOOD PICK UP, SOLID. IF WE GET DANIELS TOO...HOLE FILLED

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 16, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Agree the Redskins and Eagles will nto be looking to make a deal, and both would lovoe to hurt the other while helping themselves. Eagles have to be thinking of offering picks to get into the top 5-10 to get at least one of the stud tackles.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 16, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

i think they should let the youngsters play thats why they are on your team.

Posted by: wattsicon | March 16, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I think both Alex Mack and Max Unger would be better fits for the Redskins needs along the line. Both are versatile and can play both C/G.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 16, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

"Eagles have to be thinking of offering picks to get into the top 5-10 to get at least one of the stud tackles."

They just might do that with a Detroit or New England.

Posted by: periculum | March 16, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

use the 4 picks and wait for next year and have a full draft. Do not trade any picks this yr nobody is worth your picks

Posted by: wattsicon | March 16, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

"I don't agree that Heyer has been fully vetted at RT. He won the spot, then hurt his shoulder, then they didn't want to take JJ back out, then Samuels got hurt. Heyer was never in at RT for a long stretch of games. I say start Heyer at RT and move him ONLY if Samuels gets dinged."

That's just the point. They really have banged up, aging tackles. And Heyer has his injury problems. You need at least one player like a Ray Brown to be the swingman. Brown could play tackle and guard and made a great backup at the end of his career. Its better to have a young guy who could be a spot starter backup for all those positions. Heyer seems to fit that role well.

They need a starter to replace Samuels as he seems ready to move to the right. He will have Jansen to back him up this year. Heyer would backup the draft pick if they were lucky to get someone with #13. He could compete for left or right tackle but he seems best as the swing man at this point.

As you can readily see they will soon need yet another tackle. The failure of Rhinehart to play tackle (he was drafted to play tackle and perhaps guard) has made their plight pretty desperate.

Posted by: periculum | March 16, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Wynn re-signing. Add Daniels too, then draft a DE with one of the later picks.

Posted by: psps23 | March 16, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1:
I get:
Yes: 6 (borderline)

FASCINATING. How many of the other 31 teams have you analyzed and where do we fit in?

ricyroge:
1.Yes on JC
2.one of D. Thomas, Kelly, or Davis will have great season (maybe 2 or all)
3.we can win with Jansen and/or Heyer, and Yes on Haynesworth

SkinsfaninKaneohe: I like Mack, he played every line position in college, BUT WOULDN'T IT BE NICE TO GET ANDRE SMITH

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 16, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

IF they trade the 13 and as you say they HAVE to take a tackle, they can get Britton and then Mack/Unger. Suddenly a position of need (old O Line) is a position of strength.

BUT, I figure they can MAKE DO this year with Heyer and Jansen, then dump Jansen and get another OT next year after he is not the uber cap hit he will be this year.

AND, you may as well start Heyer and let him show you if he is the answer or not.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 16, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I think we lead the league in bringing back former players...

Posted by: rachel216 | March 16, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

if ANDRE SMITH is there at 13 DRAFT HIM IMMEDIATELY in the first 10 seconds before some ass clown team tries to talk you out of it!!!

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 16, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

if they sign big phil, they could cobble together a rotation with buzbee,jackson, wilson, wynn and big phil on 1st two downs. i think they can get by with this. does anybody else think fincher could fill in for marcus

Posted by: drewkinnear | March 16, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

wynn is so done. beyond dumb.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 16, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

..i just don't think A Smith or Oher will be there adn some teams would like to jump up to 13 and we can drop back and get Mack/Unger and a LB.

Ireally wouold prefer to have the 7 or the 21 instead of the 13. I think the studs we would really want will be gone at 13, and could still get a stud LB or C/G at 21.

13 is looking like no man's land for our needs, and I worry we'll do something really, really, really smart like drafting Maclin as the "best player available".

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 16, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

SkinsfaninKaneohe: Since the Dockery pick-up Guard isn't as important as Tackle

wattsicon: I like the use our 4 picks strategy

I don't think we should cast off Chad Reinhardt just yet, give the kid a chance. Sure, he was unable to crack a veteran line up his rookie year, and Heyer was. But, he wasn't cut, and if we lose Kendall or Fabini he may get a chance to dress.

REMEMBER - We Whooped the Eagles with Heyer at LT and FABINI at RT

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 16, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 16, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

"Trade our 4 picks for Detroits #20 and #33.

Take Brown/Jackson/Maualuga at #20 and Britton at #33.

Two holes solved."

Rypien: Everette Brown will likely be gone by our 13th pick much less the 20th. Also Maualuga is a middle linebacker not an outside one and I don't even think he'd be a could 4-3 middle linebacker. Big bust potential in my opinion. Also why not just trade back in the first round say with the Pats, get the 23rd pick and either the 47th pick or the 58th pick 120th pick (4th rounder), and a 7th round pick. Either would roughly work according to the NFL trade value chart http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php That way the Skins could keep their own picks and still get two good picks.

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 16, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 16, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

What do you guys think of the WR Matt Jones from the Jags?? I know hes got issues but the dude could add some value to our recieving core and we could get him really cheap all things considered..Maybe add a zero tolerance policy to his contract.. I mean im not saying we should I just want to see what you guys think

Posted by: jeffco01 | March 16, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

1 of the top 5 OT's SHOULD be there...should key word
take that guy

We have had great success selecting DB's and we lack depth since Springs left.

MOST of our lineman are from the SEC, like Smith, Oher, and Tyson Jackson

as long as we get O-line, DE, LB, or DB I'll be happy

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 16, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I like how the Skins have brought along Heyer. This kid is only 24 or 25, and he's been tested against some of the best DE's in the league. If you bring in a starting RT in the draft, then we have some instant depth...

Again, the key is Reinhart...if he can become a solid depth player or even a starter from time to time, then our O-line is starting to rebuild.

We haven't talked much about the RG position(Thomas). We need help there too.

But mark my words, the Heyer will be very good RT in this league and when he does....we'll let him go!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 16, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Lions take Stafford at number 1...that leaves them the #20, and they need an OT to watch his 6 after giving up 56 sacks last year.

Give them the 13 for their #20 and the #33??? Would love that trade.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 16, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003

None ... and I don't know enough about any other team to do it for them.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 16, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

jeffco01 - no way on Jones, might as well just let Thomas, kelly, and davis play

" Agree Keep reinhart who is a G/T. Still like getting Mack or Unger (via trade back) if A. Smith is gone at 13. They are both C/G. Somebody between 20-25 will want to come up and get "their guy" at 13." I would be happy with this scenario. Also, great analysis of the Wynn pick-up, compared to the Evans loss

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 16, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Also...

I've not been one who has agreed to bring in competition for JC but I would have liked to see what Leftwich could be for us. He's from DC, and could be a local darling. He's only 29, but has that same windup as JC.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 16, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Until SMITH is off the board I am going to believe he will be a REDSKIN

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 16, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Why do people think the Eagles are a "class" organization?

1) They have never won a SuperBowl
2) Yeah, they've been and won the NFC Championship but almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
3) They throw their QB under the bus weekly

Having said that, we got a ways to go before we are the Eagles.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 16, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

"BUT WOULDN'T IT BE NICE TO GET ANDRE SMITH

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 16, 2009"

With Smith, AND a Mack or Unger they probably would improve and be better than last year. Maybe Rhinehart listens to Bugel and finally comes around.

This would require a first and a high second.

They could use a DE/LB. That could be a Maybin, Everette, Ayers, Clay Matthews ... might be able to get this in the 3rd better chance with another 2nd.

And that could fill the rest of the holes with Chris Wilson plus Rob Jackson plus FA signings like Wynn, Philips, but most especially Washington.

Posted by: periculum | March 16, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

periculum: THAT WOULD BE BEAUTIFUL, BUT HOW DO WE GET THE HIGH 2ND ROUND PICK

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 16, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Brothers I got to get out before RFKROX shows up

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 16, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

You know what is awesome?

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | March 16, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

"periculum: THAT WOULD BE BEAUTIFUL, BUT HOW DO WE GET THE HIGH 2ND ROUND PICK

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 16, 2009"

New England has two. If there's one team that would be interested in next year's draft picks along with this year's for stock piling purposes its New England.

Not sure Detroit would go for it. They are rebuilding ...

Posted by: periculum | March 16, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jeffco01 | March 16, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

"Peppers to New England for a 2nd rounder, and we gave up our (better) 2nd and 6th rounder for Jason Taylor.

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | March 16, 2009"

So far ... (fingers crossed) Snidley Owl seems to have learned his lesson on that. Haynesworth IS YOUNG. At least he won't listen to his agent golf buddy's and trade for 35-38 year old guys from dancing with the stars. Or anyone else over the age of 28 where he would take a huge hit against the salary cap.

Be nice if he had thought of that before he resigned Clinton Portis.

Posted by: periculum | March 16, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

You know what ISN't awesome?

Springs to New England, They don't have Peppers yet and if he goes, I'm glad he's out of the conference

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 16, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

"I would love to trade down....pick up Britton and a LB/DE...the lions could be a possibility.

Posted by: jeffco01 | March 16, 2009"

Monroe is gone in the top 10 along with Jason Smith. As is Orapkho, Curry.

But if he's there I expect they will grab up Andre Smith and feed him Bugel for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Posted by: periculum | March 16, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Ayers would work in the 4-3 as would Matthews at SAM linebacker.

Posted by: periculum | March 16, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I have seen the Miami trade down scenario in a mock draft

and the Lions scenario seems to make sense

Can't wait to watch it unfold in April

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 16, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Peppers would fit in well at New England. Might be enough to get them back into the superbowl.

Posted by: periculum | March 16, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

In all honesty the skins need to go O-line or D-line we have all established that but with only 4 picks and none in the second round i would like to see them do what they did last year and trade down. Our biggest problem is lack of depth and with having a solid starting line up we all saw what happens when key players get hurt. Every year injuries hurt teams and we are no exception so i say we trade down and get more lineman on both offense and defense not to mention our need at linebacker and I would love to see a speedy little running back to help out Portis I am not so sure Betts provides a spark for us.

Posted by: LandryDirty30 | March 16, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Everyone visualize andre smith and marcus washington wearing skins unis this seeze

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 16, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

"The Patriots scenario amkes me queasy because we would be dealing next years picks

Can't wait to watch it unfold in April

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 16, 2009"

They have to fill those holes they left when they released key guys to sign Haynesworth PLUS the OL was in desperate straits by the end of last year.

Posted by: periculum | March 16, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I would prefer to keep all of next year's picks. I think we can muddle through this year w/o getting a tackle at 13, but would not argue at all with A Smith there. I think we can get two of these three need spots at 20 and 33 (via my trade back with Lions scenario): Britton/Mack/Unger/LB and my desire would be Mack at 20 and an LB at 33.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 16, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Don't you know we can just put Haynesworth there on the line alone? That's all we need. Ten others in the D-backfield. We're done.

Signed,
Vinny and Dan

Posted by: kls1 | March 16, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

If we line-up WYNN and DANIELS, the bag-man must be counting on taking an OT or OLB with pick #13. I don't think CURRY will be around then, but logic would dictate an excellent athlete in that slot as DANIELS and WYNN are steady but too old to play full seasons at left defensive end. And who backs up CARTER when he's hurt?

I've heard the 'SKINS are negotiating with WASHINGTON as well. Now only a part-time role player due to being unable to stay off the injury list. Even if FINCHER and WASHINGTON fill the OLB position there's the back-up problem with McINTOSH. And spending a #13 on a RT is paying too much. Great players can come out of the 2-4 rounds in that position. And this draft is deep in tackles.

So are we trading down to pick up slots where the signing bonuses and contracts fit under next years cap? Only the SHADOW knows. LIGHTS OUT!

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 16, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

The reason not to trade down for more 2nd and 3rd round picks

Skins 2nd and 3rd round picks since 2000:

Lloyd Harrison, Fred Smoot, Taylor Jacobs, Cliff Russell, Rashad Bauman, LaDell Betts, Derrick Dockery, Rocky McIntosh, Chris Cooley, Reinhart, D Thomas, M Kelly and F Davis

13 picks
4 guys who did little
2 guys that are backups (Smoot, Betts)
3 guys who are starters (Cooley, Rocky, Dock)
4 guys who we drafted last year, all TBD

Contrast that to the first round picks which has 1 bust (Gardner), 1 backup (Ramsey) and 6 starters: Samuels, Arrington, C Rogers, Campbell, ST21, Landry. 3 guys have been to the Pro Bowl.

Why get more ground beef when you have a real shot a prime rib?

Don't trade down.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 16, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Here it is:

Sign Phillip Daniels to a cap friendly, vet minimum contract.

Trade down with Detroit, acquire the #20 and #33 selections.

One-up New England and trade the #33 overall selection to Carolina for Julius Peppers.

Use #20 on an OT, use the 3rd rounder on a OLB, use the 5th rounder on an OLB, use the 6th rounder on a WR/KR.

Enter the season with a lineup like this:

Rogers-Landry-Horton-Hall

DL: Carter, Golston, Monty, Wilson, Alexander, Wynn

OL: Heyer, Jansen, Rinehart
TE/FB: Davis, Yoder
WR: Thomas, ARE
RB: Betts
QB: Collins

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he...

Posted by: psps23 | March 16, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1: brilliant post!

Posted by: Alan4 | March 16, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

When do we get Leigh Torrence back?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 16, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Poopy and I agree on something

Posted by: Barno1 | March 17, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

+++ Until SMITH is off the board I am going to believe he will be a REDSKIN

Posted by: pabrian2003+++

Get the impression Andre has unscrewed the pooch. Lots of alleged draft experts have him going top ten, maybe even top five.

The other hope is a trade down and get some top interior OL, Woods, Robinson, Mack, etc.

Posted by: TheCork | March 17, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

"I have seen the Miami trade down scenario in a mock draft

and the Lions scenario seems to make sense

Can't wait to watch it unfold in April"

We should be trading down with the Pats and it actually makes some sense, they have 3 2nd round picks and may be looking to move up. I am in agreement that we shouldn't trade ANY picks from next year. I DISAGREE with the premise that we should hope, wish, pray or take Andre Smith at 13. I don't know if i'd take him at 23. I'm sorry but when we only 4 picks you don't take a high risk pick like A. Smith. He could have all the talent in the world but if he can't find the motivation to work hard when he is looking at a Top-5 signing bonus, how is he going to perform after he signs his deal?? We should stay as far away from Smith as possible. Let some other team take on the headache.

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 17, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

++ Play (Wynn) on first and second unleash the young hounds on passing downs.+++

What young hounds would that be?

Posted by: TheCork | March 17, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

In my personal opinion this isn't saying much but here it goes... Has anybody noticed that given all the criticism Cerrato has encountered, his track/draft record blows Casserly's away. Look it up. Yet I repeatedly hear folks claim that Casserly got the shaft. It makes no sense to me.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 17, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Don't trade down.

Posted by: zcezcest1

First of all a #2 overall like Arrington qualifies as a bust. Ramsey was a bust. Jury is still out on campbell. C-Rogers is a starter, not a star.

The trouble is not with the fact of having these 2nd and 3rd round picks, it's what they were turned into. The fallacy in your argument isn't that trading down is bad, it's the people making the picks aren't qualified.

Posted by: TheCork | March 17, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

"With the grand old man patrol at defensive end, and most of the top OT's likely gone by 13, I'm thinking the Brain Trust will pick an LB--Malauga, Cushing or Laurenitis. (curry will be long gone)"

Maugulua and Laurenitis are Middle linebackers, so the skins won't be too interested.

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 17, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Corky, it's gotta be the combo platter of Alex Buzbee, Rob Jackson and Chris Wilson, right? They are young, if not yet exactly hounds whose potential unleashing would strike fear in the heart of opposing teams' O linemen...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 17, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm convinced the front office will feel they've "done enough" for the O line with the Dockery signing, that they'll want to make a plash with the #13 pick to get the fan base energized, that they'll want the #13 pick to get significant playing time this season, and that therefore they'll pick either a D end or an OLB... that's my dumb theory, and I'm sticking with it until proven wrong.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 17, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

"At best, its 50/50 that any 2nd or 3rd pick becomes a useful player. Only Cooley has made it to a Pro Bowl

Don't trade down.

Posted by: zcezcest1"

2nd and 3rd round picks turn out well all the time. Just b/c Cerrato has picked some busts it means we should give up on them? Clinton Portis was a 2nd round pick, so was Randel El, both have turned out to be nice picks, esp. Portis he's one of the best backs in the game (for all the Portis haters look at his career numbers and where he ranks alltime). Plenty of great players around the league are taken every year in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 17, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Someone above asserted that Cerrato's body of work as the personnel boss has been better than Casserly's body of work. And suggested that this could be proven if we "look it up." I call BS on that.

As for whether Casserly got shafted in his separation from the Redskins... as I recall, he definitely got shafted, no question. Snyder took over the team and decided that either Norv or Cholly would have to go straightaway, house cleaning, and he picked Cholly. (Probably so he could start picking players his own self, with Pepper Rodgers' sage advice of course.) Ancient history, yeah yeah, who cares...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 17, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Cork and Steveo ... I'm pointing out the history of success and failure of picks in round 1 and comparing it to rounds 2 & 3.

You can re-interpret it anyway you want, but all the picks were made under Danny and I suspect, mostly with Vinny.

Cork, you can call Arrington a bust, but he made a couple Pro Bowls and a game changing pick in our only playoff win this millenia.

Compare what the 8 1st round picks did relative to the 13 2nd and 3rd round picks. Use any measre you want. The 8 1st round picks vastly outperform the 13 2&3 round picks. In quality AND quantity.

The message, quantity in lower rounds doesn't overcome quality in round 1. At least for the Redskins.

Which is why trading down isn't the right move.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Here's an idea -- play Wynn at RDE and Carter at SLB...

Posted by: siris | March 17, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Here's an idea -- play Wynn at RDE and Carter at SLB...

Posted by: siris

musical holes

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I thought the whole idea was that Fat Albert will occupy two or more blockers, allowing Andre to be who we thought he was. We could have a ham sandwich on patrol at SAM backer and be in good shape.

Am I getting all this right?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 17, 2009 2:06 AM | Report abuse

z, not arguing w/ your thesis, but i think we could get 2 high quality players at 20 and 33 IF we could work a trade for the 13 with Detroit. Using the pick value chart, I came up with this:

pick value pick value total
WAS 13 1150 77 205 1355

DET 20 850 33 580 1430

If Redskins traded 1st(13) and 3rd(77) for Detroit's 20 and 33, Redskins could fill two spots with high quality players without possibly reaching at 13 if their guy is already gone, while Detroit doesn't have to completely break the bank paying 3 out of the first 33 picks including the number 1 overall while they also get a franchise QB and a marketable impact player at 13 to sell tickets and get the fans that are left in Detroit through the turnstiles.

Think Martin Mayhew may want to make a move like that in Detroit?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 17, 2009 2:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm not for trading down until Vinny shows he can pick a 2nd rounder. It's what I said last year and I'm sticking to it. I'm not against trading down - it's the smart thing to do because of the bonus $ going in round 1 but the track record speaks for itself. You can't even count Smoot as he was Marty's pick.

Posted by: bangkokben | March 17, 2009 2:34 AM | Report abuse

Who picked Rocky McIntosh?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 17, 2009 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Rocky was a 2nd rounder that cost more than the 'skins initial pick. I don't remember the details but the 'skins trades picks to move up to get him.

Posted by: bangkokben | March 17, 2009 2:57 AM | Report abuse

SkinsfaninKaneohe

I'm not really familiar with the points chart, though I suspect its based largely on the type of analysis I did (at #53, what % of guys were great, good, adequate, barely there and never did anything -- etc etc). Don't know if the chart looks at the cost of the spot.

At this point, I think its more important that the Skins get 1 stud than 1 'likely' and 1 'possibly'.

Bangkok -- as for Marty picking Smoot, I didn't discern between who did the picking. Taking Smoot out of the analysis doesn't change much

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 2:59 AM | Report abuse

Both players are nearing the end of their careers, but are beloved veterans who know the system. In the absence of a youth movement, the Skins simply need bodies.

...........................

By Jason La Canfora | March 16, 2009; 7:24 PM ET

I guess you could say the same about New England who signed old a$$ Shawn Springs and Joey Galloway.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 4:15 AM | Report abuse

Who picked Rocky McIntosh?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 17, 2009 2:48 AM

Depends on who you ask.

It was either CP or Greggggg Williams..

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 4:49 AM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | March 16, 2009; 8:19 PM ET

So let me get this straight: the most critical position on defense is being coached by a guy from college who's in waaay over his head? And we're supposed to draft a young pass rusher and entrust his development to this guy? God help us all...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 17, 2009 6:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 17, 2009 1:10 AM

Snyder actually said as much when he fired Norv. Told Casserly he fired the wrong guy and I couldn't agree more. He didn't do much for the Texans overall, but taking Mario Williams over Reggie Bush has turned out to be the right call so far.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 17, 2009 6:23 AM | Report abuse

brown,

That statement about the D-Line coach is kind of funny, I have heard no other place that the D-Line coach had any problems.

JLC needs to provide more in way of proof, of these snyde comments he makes.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 6:39 AM | Report abuse

I know how JLC rolls Flounder, but as much as he slants stuff in a negative way I would like to think he has enough dignity to not pull stuff out of his ass. That's a pretty damning indictment against Palermo if true, but it wouldn't be the first time the Skins made a dumb move with their staff.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 17, 2009 6:45 AM | Report abuse

5 140 Mark Fischer C Purdue
6 170 Patrick Palmer -- Northwestern State-Louisiana
7 191 David Terrell CB Texas-El Paso
7 206 Antwaune Ponds LB Syracuse

1997 - Washington Redskins
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 17 Kenard Lang DE Miami (Fla.)
2 51 Greg Jones LB Colorado
3 80 Derek M. Smith OLB Arizona State
4 115 Albert Connell WR Texas A&M
5 132 Jamel Williams DB Nebraska
5 140 Keith Thibodeaux DB Northwestern State-Louisiana
5 148 Twan Russell LB Miami (Fla.)
5 162 Brad Badger G Stanford

1996 - Washington Redskins
1 30 Andre Johnson T Penn State
4 102 Stephen Davis RB Auburn
5 138 Leomont Evans DB Clemson
6 174 Kelvin Kinney DE Virginia State
7 215 Jeremy Asher -- Oregon
7 250 DeAndre Maxwell -- San Diego State

1995 - Washington Redskins
1 4 Michael Westbrook WR Colorado
2 37 Cory Raymer C Wisconsin
3 68 Darryl Pounds DB Nicholls State
4 103 Larry Jones RB Miami (Fla.)
5 137 Jamie Asher TE Louisville

7 179 Kevin Hendrix -- South Carolina
9 233 Charles Darrington -- Kentucky
10 263 Mark Schlereth G Idaho
12 316 Jimmie Johnson TE Howard
12 317 Joe Mickles RB Mississippi

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 6:48 AM | Report abuse

VC drafts remember Gibbs was in charge for 4 years, so we don't know how much say Cerrato had.

2008 - Washington Redskins

5 143 Dallas Sartz LB USC
6 179 H.B. Blades LB Pittsburgh
6 205 Jordan Palmer QB Texas-El Paso
7 216 Tyler Ecker TE Michigan

2006 - Washington Redskins
Rd Sel # Player Position School
2 35 Rocky McIntosh LB Miami (Fla.)
5 153 Anthony Montgomery DT Minnesota
6 173 Reed Doughty DB Northern Colorado
6 196 Kedric Golston DT Georgia
7 230 Kili Lefotu G Arizona
7 250 Kevin Simon LB Tennessee

2005 - Washington Redskins
1 9 Carlos Rogers DB Auburn
1 25 Jason Campbell QB Auburn
4 120 Manuel White RB UCLA
5 154 Robert McCune LB Louisville
6 183 Jared Newberry LB Stanford
7 222 Nehemiah Broughton RB The Citadel

2004 - Washington Redskins
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 5 Sean Taylor FS Miami (Fla.)
3 81 Chris Cooley TE Utah State

5 159 Andre Lott CB Tennessee
5 160 Robert Royal TE Louisiana State
6 192 Reggie Coleman T Tennessee
7 230 Jeff Grau TE UCLA
7 234 Greg Scott DE Hampton
7 257 Rock Cartwright RB Kansas State

Marty was in charge of this draft.
2001 - Washington Redskins

4 129 Mookie Moore G Troy State
5 155 Quincy Sanders -- Nevada-Las Vegas
6 202 Todd Husak QB Stanford
7 216 Delbert Cowsette DE Maryland
7 250 Ethan Howell -- Oklahoma State

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 6:51 AM | Report abuse

I posted the drafts now you guys can fight it out over who was better.

As for the Wynn deal it's OK for a 1 year Vet. min. he can help the younger players, and be a good 1st 2nd down guy.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 6:53 AM | Report abuse

I was never a big fan of Casserly. I started hating him when he gave Art Monk his walking papers and never really forgave him. Those drafts Flounder posted make me feel better about not liking him.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 17, 2009 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Casserly did get the shaft in Houston though. He got run out of town passing on Vince Young and Reggie Bush. 4 years later he looks like a genius.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 17, 2009 6:58 AM | Report abuse

RI - "Beginning his second year as a head coach, Zorn has a better understanding of everything around him, he said, and the Redskins should benefit from his experience." Although Dan and Vinnie absorb most of the venom that is drained on RI, Zorn has been targetted occasionally as well (even Christ would take his lumps on this blog - MartinMcFly: "Dude doesn't have the arm strength to go deep on the Money Changers"). If you look back at what happened during 2008 you have to give Zorn his due. When Justin Tuck grabbed JC with his meat hooks and slung him to the ground like a rag doll on the very first Skins offensive play of 2008 and Zorn's first play as HC and OC, you could see the thought bubble pop up over the Redskin Nation: "Woe is us. 4-12, here we come." But Zorn picked himself up off the turf and created some magic of his own. He knew he did not have the personnel to run a pure WCO, the OL was swiss cheese, and JC was struggling to learn the new system. So he made some adjustments, figured out how best to use the assets he had (mainly Portis, Moss and Cooley) and low and behold the team achieved a 6-2 record with road wins over the Cowboys and the Eagles. Not bad for a rookie HC. Things unraveled after that wondrous 6-2 start and I think the game with the Steelers typified how the bubble had burst. The Steelers defensed well the offensive schemes that Zorn liked to use and he had no answer for subsequent games where the opponents copied what the Steelers had done. In the off season Zorn has a chance to regroup and recharge his batteries. Also the personnel will be upgraded and hopefully there will maturation as well.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | March 17, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

I dunno I will do a more thorough breakdown later in the day but to me its about a draw. Guess it depends how much credit you give Vinny for the Gibbs drafts, I only give him 25%.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 17, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Casserly wasn't Pioli by any stretch, but he definitely was better than Vinny. I'd take Casserly every day of the week and twice on draft day.

Anton, you can sugar coat 2008 all you like, but Zorn failed to do one of the elementary and critical duties of an NFL coach: making adjustments and counter-adjustments. He had a nice run with the element of surprise on his side, but once teams got film on him he had nothing.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 17, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

OH MY GOD

THE CHARLOTTE BEASTCATS ARE ONE GAME OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS

DESTINY

YOU PUNKS

have fun cheering for the Washington Whizzers!! LMAO

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 17, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Truth...nice rich winning tradition in Charlotte if it's cause for celebration to be one game OUT of the playoffs. Pipe down until your boys do something, OK?

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 17, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

let that mark the first time in sports fan history anyone has bragged about a team almost qualifying for the final seat in the NBA playoffs.

truth no one cares....

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

NBA talk when the Tourney is about to start? Gross.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 17, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

"With defensive line coach John Palermo struggling to adjust to the NFL game last year, according to numerous team sources"

Flound, agreed. First we're hearing about this, not sure how much stock I put into it.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Well there are only a handful of people who could know that. 1 would be GregB another may be the FO.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 17, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

And Jason Taylor, Andre Carter, Cornelius Griffin, Kedrick Golston, Anthony Montgomery, Demetric Evans, etc.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | March 17, 2009 8:33 AM |

True and JLC has no relationship with either of them.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

This is not the first position coach we have had that we hear is not an NFL caliber spot coach too btw. Remember we also heard that about ?Hixon? the WR coach. Judging by the lack of progress made by KT1112 I think that is a fair complaint. One could argue that the lack of playing time by our young DE's is also an indicator of our Dline coach.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 17, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

lol @ the Whizzers fans

yall pitiful slobs

don't hate, cause you just might get DIAW'D!!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 17, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

True and JLC has no relationship with either of them.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Cept he does, more than he would with Vinny or some others. You let your hate blind you, and have been seduced by the power of the dark side.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 17, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

al, so 5 preseason games, 16 regular season games, and the 3 months since the season ended and all of a sudden the DL coach was struggling to adjust?? If this was true, why wasn't it reported before??

You can easily read between the lines on this one and see D. Evans as the "team source"....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Alex,

Blache probably thinks JLC is a little worm, he basically yelled at JLC in an interview.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

"Judging by the lack of progress made by KT1112 I think that is a fair complaint"

Except that WR is one of the toughest positions to transition to in the pro-game. Lots of rookie wideouts struggle. Not defending 11/12, just stating the truth. How long has Hixon been the WR coach??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | March 17, 2009 8:40 AM

"One could argue" anything. One could argue that the lack of playing time by Rinehart is a knock on Joe Bugel. One could argue that a Native American jinx has led to the Redskins' mediocrity. One could argue that the Charlotte Bobcats are destiny.

Personally, I prefer never to argue, only to agree, as I am agreeing here.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 17, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

flounder21

What really gets you about the drafts you listed above is that it seems the team found only 2-3 players to keep no matter the number of picks they had.

I wonder if there is some kind of league average for that: I mean, what's the average number of players an NFL team should be able to keep from a draft where they consisently have 5-7 picks.

Keeping 2-3 guys every other year has to be at the bottom end of such a record keeping system, and would be enough for anyone else to fire the guys doing the picking.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 17, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I would be sure that Evans was a possibility. Classic problem when a player/other coach is afraid to go on record but I would think If Evans was the person he would not stay anon because the team cant do anything to him, ex-player more likely to go on record than current player I am gonna guess it was a old vet linemen.

We saw a lack of production from the line for the whole season, the one weak spot on the D in terms of production, though LB was no super power house.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 17, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

According to Wikipedia Hixon has been here from 04-now

Posted by: alex35332 | March 17, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Except it's "numerous team sources", not singular.

You guys ask for "insider" information, yet shoot it down as soon as it's staring you in the face. Personally, I don't come here to find out the news of a player's signing that I can find plastered on 20 other websites. That isn't "insider" by any stretch of the imagination. You asked for it, this is what it is.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

T_E
HOW DO YOU GET THE SEMANTICS GAME DOWN BEFOR 9:00 AM???

Posted by: alex35332 | March 17, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

this signing makes me want to cry! We overpaid for Haynesworth and Hall. I like the Dockery signing. this team is going to struggle again next year. We probably won't make the playoffs, Wynn and Daniels are not solutions at all to our defenses problems with getting pressure on the QB.

This franchise is obisimal!

Looks like i'm going to just have to root for the Steelers now, a franchise coming off a Super Bowl Championship that builds the team the correct way and will be in the playoffs next year again.

Sorry Redskins, you've really lost my fanhood this offseason.

Posted by: avbanig | March 17, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

av, good, go, don't let the door hit you.

alex, so Hixon was here when Moss had his best year? And ARE has put up his best numbers since coming to the team, so I don't know if you can say Hixon is the problem.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 17, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"This franchise is obisimal!"

You're spelling skills are abysmal!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 17, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"This franchise is obisimal!"

You're spelling skills are abysmal!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 17, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Your grammar skills are abysmal.

Posted by: torqued21 | March 17, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

glawrence007 - Whose gonna get Mac's back, Blades. Since you have Finch and Wash. We also have Matt Sinclair back (he has 2 carreer tackles, but they were both solo tackles on Hester punt returns during our 2005 run to the playoffs, and Tyson Smith, and Rian Wallace. WERE VERY THIN AT END, AND OLD AT TACKLE.

They are thinking 1. top 5 OT, if he's not there, top 4 LB, if he's not there either, trade down a few slots to get value at DE, or O-line

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 17, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steveo11

Laurinitius has the 4.6.. speed to play OLB, not sure about his football IQ

Blades played OLB last year, for all we know they love him out there, I lknow he was listed MLB, but they have film now at OLB.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 17, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Redskins, you've really lost my fanhood this offseason.

Posted by: avbanig

Bye, Good less bloggers, the people who love the game and not just winning will be over here

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 17, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I think this team is making a major mistake, not resigning D Evans, choosing a guy who is nearly 10 years older than him. How stupid can you be??

Also Mike Montgomery is out there, he played for the Packers last year and while spliting time with KGB and Aaron Kampman he still managed to get 2.5 sacks and 59 tackles. Montgomery is only 25 going on 26.

Why in the world can't we sign Montgomery??

Why must we get the has beens?

How does that make sense?

Posted by: avbanig | March 17, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

"I tend to think they sign one pricey free agent (though not a Gross or Haynesworth - not that massive)" JLC INSIDER INFO.

Let's see wrong and wrong

REMEMBER: Parcells says 50/50 when aquiring players is good.

Gibbs taught Vanny & DInny (haha) a few things, the real question is will they retain it...here is my evidence:

1. They got Gibbs
2. We made the playoffs, (now they really believe in him)
3. when Gibbs left, they resigned almost every single player, this was unheard of by this FO
4. They had 10 draft choices, also new to this FO

The FO might finally have a decent plan with the end of the CBA coming up and possibillities of a cap free year when we need to sign Campbell and Rodgers (the 2 most expensie positions

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 17, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

what do tony woods, sterling palmer,pat eilers,marvcus patton and kenard lang have in common?..........they're in Vinny's "fave 5" on his t-mobile account!stay tuned for a special report from Ashburn in the heart of loudon county, on Redskins.com TV hosted by the one and only Larry Michael

Posted by: fullonfully | March 17, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

ok i'll see ya in the super bowl rooting for my steelers....oh wait a second no i won't.

I don't see Snyder and Vinny ever getting the Redskins back to the superbowl, man I can't wait till Snyder croaks and then this team can be a winner again.

Posted by: avbanig | March 17, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"Wynn is fine. He is only marginally less than Evans, for 1/2 the money. Wynn is a run stuffing DE. Play him on first and second unleash the young hounds on passing downs. Great re-addition to the rotation. Great locker room guy. Great community guy. To me, given all factors(primarily ability/money ie cost/benefit) Wynn is much more value than Evans.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe"

keep in mind we added Haynesworth to the D-line, if we could afford Evans he would be here

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 17, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

ok i'll see ya in the super bowl rooting for my steelers

Posted by: avbanig

I said BYE, aren't there any Steelers blogs??

and the n next year you can root for someone else, and so on

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 17, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

avbanig: "Daniels and Wynn can't make it through a season because of their health, father time has caught up with them. It's what happens when you get in your mid 30's to football players.This is the dumbest signing ever, we cut Wynn 3 years ago because he was too old and unproductive and now we bring him back at 36! How does that make sense?"

Makes sense to the Skins for the same reason it makes sense to the Jints and other NFL clubs. You're getting a known quantity at an affordable price. There's no learning curve and you already know the guy will play through pain. You have another year to scout and sign a younger free agent to replace him next season. Or draft somebody, of course.

It's a gamble, but a very sensible one. Especially if they sign both those guys. Daniels is a two position player. Wynn is a proven run-stopper. And both set an example for the younger set.

Sorry we lost Evans, he came a long way. But was the long-term answer to the Skins' needs? At that price, I guess not.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

GM Snyder has reduced the Skins to beggars accepting scraps from the Giants.. Get rid of all these 40 year old burdens and rebuild through the draft. Snyder smells rotten.. Skins fans should stop bailing him out with their season ticket money.

Posted by: jercha | March 17, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Terrible signing. The Redskins are so desperate to fill holes they are willing to take any old recycled player who is willing to sign a cheap contract. They should never, ever have spent all of their cap money on one player. Now they are forced to sign guys like Wynn, who don't have much left, whereas they could have signed Canty and Olshansky both. Plus, they would have had enough money left to sign a decent linebacker.

By the way, if a player struggles, he gets cut, right? Why don't the same rules apply to coaches? If Palermo struggled last year, why would you run out and sign a blue chip defensive lineman for him to under-coach? Seems to me they should have let Palermo go with Haynesworth's arrival, and sought out a d-line coach who could figure out how to best use him. It's like giving the keys to the Ferrari to your sixteen year old. Makes no sense.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 17, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Dear The truth11 , You seem to say some nasty S### about the Redskins. I live one hour from your stadium.
I would love to meet you behind the statue of Sam Mills and discuss what you said about the REDSKINS you little punk.
I respect Sam Mills highly but no worthless trash is going to bash the greatest show on grass. I don't care if you bring a friend.

Posted by: tammanyhall2109 | March 17, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!The Signing of R. Wynn not only sent shock of fear to the NFL East, but to the rest of the league as well. Look for at least 16 sacks from him.What a signing!!Congrats skins fans!!Unfreakinbelievable...

Posted by: joe12341 | March 17, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I'll play. Why not.

"1) Campbell with have a breakout year, provided he stays healthy."

Contract year so he must play well and he must show he can play two halves of a season or he will be gone.

"2) Kelly and Thomas will emerge as weapons."

Not so sure about Kelly, but I like Thomas.

"3) Heyer may start at RT."

They are going to draft an OT with thier first pick who will start from the get go. Jansen's days as a Redskin are numbered.

"4) Haynesworth will be a difference maker on the line."

He will win 3 games for the Redskins just by himself. This one is an understatement. He IS that good.

- Ray