Bruce Allen replaces Vinny Cerrato with Redskins (updated)

Bruce Allen, the son of former Redskins coach George Allen, will be the new executive vice president of football operations and general manager of the Washington Redskins, the team has announced.

Allen, 53, served as a senior executive with the Oakland Raiders from 1996-2003. He then was general manager of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2004-08, when he and coach Jon Gruden were ousted in a sweeping, season-ending change. The hiring was first reported by ESPN 980.

"This is an extraordinary opportunity with one of the world's most successful sports franchises," Allen said in a statement released by the team. "I love everything about this assignment; I know what it means to be dedicated to the Redskins. I can't wait to get to work."

Allen has strong ties to both the area and the Redskins. He grew up in McLean, and his father is still considered a legend in the area. George Allen coached the Redskins from 1971-77. Bruce Allen went to the University of Richmond, and his brother, George, is a former U.S. Senator from Virginia.

Hiring Allen gives Redskins owner Daniel Snyder both a tie to the franchise's more glorious path and a proven personnel man who led a team to a Super Bowl.

"Bruce Allen is the personification of an NFL winner," Snyder said in a statement released by the Redskins. "Our fans know his heritage; we know his abilities. He is the right person to lead our club."

The hiring will lead to speculation that Gruden would serve as the Redskins' next coach. Gruden is working as an analyst for ESPN's "Monday Night Football," and on Nov. 16 he agreed to a multiyear deal to remain with the program. That, it appeared, took him out of consideration to be Jim Zorn's replacement -- should the second-year coach be fired at the end of the season. But Allen's hiring will bring Gruden's name directly into the mix.

By Barry Svrluga  |  December 17, 2009; 9:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gibbs isn't likely to be in the mix
Next: Bruce Allen on board; is Jon Gruden next?

Comments

gezus my brain cant handle all this stuff today....WOWWOWOWOOWOWOWOWOWWO. I feel like im in a dream. My brain is fried and its not 10am. HOLY CRAP.

Posted by: Redskins2Win | December 17, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Go get Gruden!!!

Posted by: urblessed00 | December 17, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Dan Snyder.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wstclair | December 17, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan and Allen don't get along so scratch him off the list.

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Allen yes; Griden no.

Posted by: larrygate | December 17, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Meh.

Posted by: swowra | December 17, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

The rumors are true. Dan Snyder IS a fan!

Posted by: boothintexas | December 17, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

RIP Chris Henry. Reminds me a bit of ST - young guy who was turning around his troubles. Sad.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 17, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

You guys are right. Vinny is gone, I'll give Allen a fair shot. No two situations are identical. Let's see what this guy can do. Getting on a plane and bringing in Grimm would be a great start, IMO...

Posted by: mattylight | December 17, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Chris Henry passed.

Very sad.

I guess it's time for a Michael Wilbon column demonizing Henry...

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget the Rooney rule people

Posted by: seriesoftubescleaner | December 17, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

KEEP ZORN AND CAMPBELL!!!

Posted by: jjhare | December 17, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Meh.

Posted by: swowra | December 17, 2009 9:57 AM |

Chucky was one bad call from the SB in Oakland.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

This is fantastic!!!!!!!!

All you people questioning this are moronic.

just answer this, what's a better tandem in charge of any football team Allen/Gruden or Cerrato/Zorn?

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Keep Zorn. Keep Campbell Draft CJ Spiller and some bleeping O-linemen!!!!

Posted by: illslope | December 17, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Just announced that Chris Henry died.

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Dan takes 35 days to find a replacement for Gibbs yet takes 35 mins to find a replacement for Vinny?

Is it just me or is something a little off here?

Allen seems like a re-treat to me. I dunno...i guess im a dope. I mean he is better than Vinny of course...im a little puzzled. This happened a bit fast. I doubt other teams were clamoring over BRUCE ALLEN.

Posted by: Redskins2Win | December 17, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"Chris Henry passed.

Very sad."

Oh no. :(

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 17, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I agree, larrygate. I'm fine with BA, but let him come in and do some analysis of what is working and what isn't. Wipe the slate clean, start from scratch, do an assessment of the current coaching staff, then make decisions about next year. I'm not a believer in either Shanahan or Gruden. First, consider the current staff, then go from there.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 17, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Dan not only gave Bruce Allen Vinny's old title, but also gave him title of GM.

That is significant, and I believe it indicates a readiness on Danny's part to step back from trying to operate the football side of the Skins.

I guess that scouting trip to check out Colt McCoy with Vinny was just "one last hurrah" for old times sake...

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

So this is the first time a true GM has been in control of the skins since Danny took control yes?

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

p1, yeah, thats right...wilbon is a pos liar...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Cowher maybe...

Posted by: hbu_dog | December 17, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

While I am happy to have Bruce Allen, I am somewhat sadden, if true, that Chris HEnry has passed away.

I believe in reclaimation projects and he was one of the ultimate reclaimation projects. I even drafted him on my Fantasy Team.

Prayers go out to his family....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 10:01 AM

Well, since he fired Casserly anyway.

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

p1,

Agreed no one has had the tital of GM under Snyder until now.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

"What has Chucky done? Win a Superbowl with Dungy's defense? Lose some wildcard games?

Meh.

Posted by: swowra"

Are you really this dim? Did you start watching the NFL in 2006. Chucky was Mike Tomlin with Raiders before Tomlin. He was one horendous Ref call away from killing the Pats dynasty before it started. His Raiders teams were good...THE RAIDERS! Then the next season in the SB he coached a team (and dont give me Dungys team crappe...did dungy get there with the team?) against the team he BUILT! Not to shabby...he basically was the coach of BOTH SB TEAMS!

Wake up people....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome.

Posted by: adrianstewart | December 17, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Tampa Bay won the SB in Jan. 2003. If Allen wasn't GM in TB til 2004 they did not win a SB together.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 17, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Sorta, Casserly was in control for one offseason then fired.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

meant to say re-tread...but then again who isnt.

Posted by: Redskins2Win | December 17, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is something a little off here?

Posted by: Redskins2Win | December 17, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Yes. You are a total dope.

Who cares if other teams weren't clamoring over him? Do we have to hire a guy just b/c someone else wants him?

Bruce Allen has a track record of success and a great reputation around the league.

Maybe this happened quickly because Danny had all his ducks lined up and is finally taking care of business with this team instead of lounging back watching Vinny C make the Skins an NFL-wide laughingstock!

Bravo, Dan Snyder!

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Post/AP now confirming that Chris Henry has passed. Very sad news.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 17, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Dan not only gave Bruce Allen Vinny's old title, but also gave him title of GM.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse
We can only hope so. But if history is any indication,...

Posted by: frediefritz | December 17, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Whoever the HC is to be it's probably already in the works.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 17, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Sorta, Casserly was in control for one offseason then fired.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I believe that Marty S was a GM/coach.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

On another topic. I am truly sadden that this occurred. RIP.

hris Henry passes away
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 17, 2009 9:56 AM ET
Charlotte police have confirmed that Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry died Thursday morning at 6:26 A.M.

Henry suffered injuries after he "came out" the back of a pickup truck following a domestic situation.

Henry was 26 years old.

We'll have more on this story shortly.

Posted by: TWISI | December 17, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Well done Snyder.

Now go get the deal done to bring Gruden into the mix.

Posted by: psps23 | December 17, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Snyder has failed as an owner. He needs to resign and since he cant, just sell the team.

Posted by: cirrus_nine | December 17, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Chucky was one bad call from the SB in Oakland.

Posted by: Flounder21

Essentially, when Gruden beat Oakland with Tampa, he beat the team that he and Bruce Allen put together.

The reason that it didn't work out for the two in Tampa from what I read, was that Tampa's owner wasn't willing to spend money to keep the team competitive.

They won't have that problem here.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 17, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I wonder is this will mean that the Redskins will be purging the team of all blacks or other players of color, since we know how much the Allens can't abide having Macacas in the "Real Virginia".

Perhaps this will mean the end of the Native American on the side of the helmet, soon to be replaced with a hangman's noose, or perhaps a confederate flag? Or maybe a hooded warrior or a burning cross?

This is certainly harkening back to the a different era, the George Preston Marshall era!!

This move stinks. What did Allen or Gruden ever do in Tampa Bay except win with something built by a Macaca?

Why not bring in Tony Dungy? That guy is 100% class and a proven winner.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | December 17, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Great. Fire an idiot and hire a conservative bigot. This is the brother of George "Macaca" Allen. I'm done with these guys.

Posted by: nadeemsx | December 17, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

yeah P1, So was Gibbs. I'm talking about a true front office guy running the Org.

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I'd have made this choice. Poppa George left a very bad taste in my mouth, and Brother George brought back the worst memories of George Preston Marshall and his overt and virulent racism.

Oh well, we'll see what happens next.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | December 17, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Here Comes Chucky!

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | December 17, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cirrus_nine | December 17, 2009 10:06 AM |

Go away jackazz he is not going to sell the team, this is a great move and shows he is trying to change.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

ChrIS LaRRy -

People think the NFL started when Joe Gibbs came back....They may not be aware that he was even here a FIRST time.....

The Raiders was a BEAST in the 90s, only to get their playoff chances doused by missed FG attempts...That's when they drafted the drunken Janokowski...ANd that took them to the next level. They drafted great players.

Tampa BAy....Not so much...terrible drafts...But I'm willing to forgive him since Tampa's Ownership is worst than Snyder's.

I don't see him bringing in Chucky....I don't see him bringing in any big names with rings, honestly....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I am no snyder luva. But the dude is young, aint selling and owns one of two of the sports franchises that is in my genetic make-up to love (other: GO CAPS!)

So today I say THANK YOU Dan Snyder...this seems like a step towards "figuring it out" which is very encouraging going forward for about the next 30-40 years of our weirdly intertwined lives.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Gruden was 45-49 (.48) after the superbowl. Lost 2 wildcards. 95-81 career wins (.540) in the regular season.

Not exactly a rising star.

Posted by: swowra | December 17, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Where's the SIGN CHRIS COOLEY guy screaming FIRE JIM ZORN!!??

Does this give more credence to the Allen/Shanahan report?

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 17, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

the MNF booth should be interesting. Do they bring it up?

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 17, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

At least now it looks like everybody is now going to be playing for their jobs! Look for the last remaining games to be exciting!

Posted by: charley42 | December 17, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Allen yes, Gruden YES!!!! That is the right guy, he worked fantastic in Tampa! DC needs CHUCKY!

Posted by: mwen001 | December 17, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I thought Shanahan was the best choice for HC, but Gruden has fire. He gets in the face of guys and there will be accountability for people not practicing or messing up. And he is respected. Gruden also knows how to manage a game. So in that respect he is better than Zorn. Maybe he keeps Campbell. I hope so cause I dont want to go through another QB project.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 17, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

You people talking about racist sh_t on here are idiots, look at Bruce Allens drafts and I think you will find more people of color then not.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

New Headline: Redskins win off-season championship at earliest point in off season history!

Posted by: alex35332 | December 17, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I am maybe the biggest pink-o commie lefty bleeding heart d-bag up here.....but even I can understand that even brothers may have different views....and to judge a man on his actions not his kins.....

c'mon people use brains, stop sitting on them.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Such sad news about Chris Henry.

Doc Walker is on 980 saying he thinks there was an argument between Vinny and Dan.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 17, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Add Jim Haslett to the list of prospective coaches. He has ties to Allen, too.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 17, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Technically speaking, Gibbs was not a GM. Never had the title. What we had was a discombobulated 3-headed GM composed of Vinny, Danny and Joe.

But yes, I suppose this is the first time under Danny that someone has been hired to be an outright GM with no other duties attached.

Again, I think this is GREAT and indicates a readiness on Danny's part to step back to a degree and let professional people run the football ops.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Gruden has a history of winning.. the Packers, The Eagles.. he was the last guy that made the Raiders mean something... and we all know he went to the Super Bowl with our QB.. a proven winning combination let loose in DC.. I WANT GRUDEN!!!

Posted by: wescaddle1 | December 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Hallelujah! A real GM!!!!!

Snyder might actually have proven that he does have a little common sense.

Posted by: jive_turkey | December 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Well...I don't need any XMAS Presents now...

WOOHOO!!

Methinks today's announcment is only for Cerrato's resignation.....

As the Rooney Rule now applies to both coach & GM/high level hires........methinks Snyder will be having another BIG Announcement next week.

Given that Holmgren just left Cleveland without a deal......STAY TUNED.

If Holmgren comes in.....that does bode the question of if ZORN would survive.

Given that the offense is clicking.....if he stays....SHERM LEWIS must be given the official OC title.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | December 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

It's awful that some people on here are against Bruce Allen just because his brother made a racist statement. As if Bruce would have any control over that. Nice.

Bruce Allen could be what this franchise needs, as long as Snyder has the sense to step back and let Allen do the job he is hired to do. My only problem with it is that it is coming so quick. Why not take a couple weeks first to interview other potential GM candidates, like Holmgren, etc.

Posted by: DCUMD | December 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

flound, I've found that when there is a big announcement, this place gets FLOODED with idiots, posting all kinds of vile crap....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I guess over the years hating on FO moves has become reflex. It's time to stop. This is a good move.

(But in case its not, I'll follow 4th's method of prognostication)

FIRE ALLEN! You heard it here first!

Posted by: mack1 | December 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Not exactly a rising star.

Posted by: swowra | December 17, 2009 10:10 AM

No, a true rising star would be Jim Zorn. What's he -- 11-18? He still hasn't won as many games with the Redskins as Steve Spurrier did.

Guy won the Super Bowl. Not exactly a loser, is he?

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

How come Cowher is not mentioned in any of the posts? Is he definitely not in the mix? I'd rather have him than any of these chumps.

Posted by: Moose33 | December 17, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nadeemsx | December 17, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Yeah because everyone in a family always believes the same things and agrees on everything.

Alex35332, I'm loling here at my desk. Just perfect.

Posted by: redskirt_ | December 17, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | December 17, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

was just thinking the same thing...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

If not Zorn, who?:

Greg Williams

Jon Gruden

Mike Shanahan

Jason Garrett

Russ Grimm

This should be the interview list.

Oh, I forgot about the Rooney Rule requiring a minority candidate:

Ron Riviera

I'd hire Riviera over all of those guys.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 17, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Chris Henry (May 17, 1983 - December 17, 2009[1]) was an American football wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Bengals in the third round of the 2005 NFL Draft. He played college football at West Virginia. He died Dec. 17, 2009 from injuries suffered after falling out of the back of a pickup truck in what police are calling a domestic dispute[2].

Henry had been involved in a string of legal troubles during his professional career, which include several arrests for such offenses as driving under the influence, marijuana possession, assault, and criminal damaging. He was suspended for the first four games of the 2008 season. He was placed on injured reserve in November 2009, after suffering a broken forearm while making a 20-yard reception against the Baltimore Ravens

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 17, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

All the haters can SHUT THE HECK UP.

I swear, if you were living in a WWII countryside-town in Germany, and you just got liberated by Allied forces, you'd be standing in the street complaining about the tread marks that a U.S. tank left in the middle of your street.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Ding dong the witch is dead...

Posted by: ITouchdownThere | December 17, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Hallejuah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: RedskinAddict | December 17, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Hallejuah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: RedskinAddict | December 17, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Didn't this guy draft a kicker in the first round?

Posted by: jsd1221 | December 17, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Lisa,

Perhaps but if so it still had to occur quite some time ago. At minimum he had to talk to Allen. Interview a minority candidate etc.

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Allen coming here would be a good indicator that Doug Williams may aslo wander over to the team to, as I recall he was a FO guy for TB for a while too.

Anyone want to get the Band back together

Posted by: alex35332 | December 17, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I like Gruden, and if he is hired I will fall in line and hope that the 'Skins do well.

Can't get much worse up here.

Posted by: swowra | December 17, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33 | December 17, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Cowher has won the same number of Superbowls that Gruden won.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

All this love for Cowher. All of this...what did Gruden do? Tell me what Cowher did besides lose what 3 or 4 AFC championship games? How many of those were in Pittsburgh too?? Over.....rated. He won one.......Super Bowl with the stars and the moon aligned for him and Bettis. Man please, he is in the same boat as Gruden rings wise. I've had enough of "the chin".

Posted by: urblessed00 | December 17, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

No question that his brother is a jerk, but it's not right to judge Bruce because of that. I guess it's right if you're an idiot, or want to show off by stating something that everyone else already knows. But in normal society, you don't judge a person by his brother's character.

Posted by: mike8 | December 17, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Holy cow, I goto to a 2 hr meeting and the earth shifts and I didn't even feel it....

Posted by: noonefromtampa | December 17, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

If not Zorn, who?:

Greg Williams-Won't happen

Jon Gruden- Probably already done.

Mike Shanahan- Allen and Shanahan don't get along.

Jason Garrett- Umm no. He has a decent qb, great o line. 3 quality RBs and good WRs and his team is often held under 17 points by good D's.

Russ Grimm- Sure why not.

This should be the interview list.

Oh, I forgot about the Rooney Rule requiring a minority candidate:

Ron Riviera

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

ChRRis LaRRY -

The 'Macaca' Story was very very big in the DC Area....And Bruce Allen is the idiots brother....So, I would say he and the skins have to be prepared for some razzing....which would be acceptable in my eyes...I even made a comment a few threads ago that they would bring in George Allen now and would call some minority reporter 'MAcaca' if he gets mad.....

George Allen was playing George Preston MArshall politics in trying to secure the 'white' vote during the Senator's race.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

No kidding.

The outpouring of criticism for firing Vinny and hiring a legit GM with a track record of success in the NFL is just mind-boggling...

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Exactly. Remember when Teddy L fought the fan at the Verizon center - back when the Caps sucked?

Could we see a similar turn-around from Danny Boy?

Hope so....

Posted by: ssh1549 | December 17, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Holy Crap - I get to work, innocently turn on my computer, get on the internet to learn that not only did Chris Henry die last night, but then I look to the stories on the right and Vinny resigned?!?! What the heck happened last night?

Wait and are people upset because Bruce Allen is related to George Allen who ran for Congress - seriously?!?! Wow. Not dealing with that today - so i'll get some work done!

Posted by: suzannepdc | December 17, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Its time to shake you the underachieving millionair country club attitude the skins have embraced at start playing some football.

Posted by: DrWho2 | December 17, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33 | December 17, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Cowher has won the same number of Superbowls that Gruden won.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:18 AM

Exactly, so why wouldn't his name be mentioned as well if we're going after SB winners

Posted by: Moose33 | December 17, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Doc Walker guest on Kornheiser - thinks Gruden will be coach and does not think that Cerrato will be a part of Skins org at all going forward.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 17, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

It sounds like Allen has had more success with free agency than he has had in the draft. This might be because he never had a great scouting organization. Let's face it, in Oakland he probably just received a phone call from Al Davis and then proceeded to draft whomever Al baby wanted. In Tampa - well, they have not actually set the world on fire with their drafts before, during, or after Allen. All Allen has to do is listen to his scouts and he'll be okay. Oh, and he needs to throw out the whole "Best Player Avaiable" garbage and start getting players in positions of need.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 17, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Holmgren won't come to D.C. because of what Snyder did to Zorn (stripping away playcalling) but then again.. a lot of zero's can make you forget. Either way, Snyder is lettin' someone who knows football run the show.. all you haters can suck it!

Posted by: wescaddle1 | December 17, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Allen, Shanahan, and draft Bradford.

Posted by: bones21 | December 17, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Christmas came early this year!
There is a God!
It's been a long time coming!
My greatest wish came true!

There aren't enough cliches to experess my delight!

Posted by: manaccar1 | December 17, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

"Cowher has won the same number of Superbowls that Gruden won.

Posted by: p1funk"

Same with Tony Dungy. And Dungy couldn't do it with Gruden's team. He needed arguably the greatest QB of all-time to win one.

But how much do you want to bet people here hold Dungy in higher regard than Gruden as a HC?

Posted by: psps23 | December 17, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Doc Walker just said he thinks Gruden will be our next head coach.

Doc also said Zorn had a lot more power than people think.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 17, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

4th, I know all about George Allen. dislike him intensley. Although glad he said what he said b/c Jim Webb is a kick azz senator so alls well that ends well....

But I am a fan of judging people on there actions.

Also politics and football mix about as well as Peanut butter and motor oil.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

OH MY GOD

This will be the first honest to god GENERAL MANAGER this team has had since the Casserly era. Someone who's worked for the Raidahs, so he knows how to maneuver around meddling d-bag owners.

OH MY GOD
I never thought I would type this again after 2004, but THANK YOU DAN SNYDER

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 17, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Bottom line is he is echelon's better then Cerrato. I can't help but think there's a bit of a PR thing here picking Allen, much like Gibbs was hailed as the pick for coach.

Not knowing much about Allen, it's hard to say, but on first look it is hard to imagine him being better then Shannahan.

If Snyder becomes more "hands off" and lets the GM and Coaching staff be the experts, it is a change in the right direction. We don't need another Hainsworth, we need good young picks to grow with the organization into a system of continuity.

Posted by: boblas | December 17, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Didn't this guy draft a kicker in the first round?

Posted by: jsd1221 | December 17, 2009 10:17 AM

Yes...And it worked out well for them if consider what happened to them the previous two seasons when they were a FG kick made away from making the playoffs and the other year a FG kick made away from advancing in the playoffs.

Not to mention that same said kicker who STILL plays for the team 10+ years later just hit a 54 yarder against us this past weekend.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Why do people assume that Bruce Allen holds the same opinions on race and ethnicity as his brother? I doubt Bruce Allen would have lasted as long in the NFL as he has if he had been a racist. Give the guy a chance. At least he's got a track record. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Posted by: jaradel | December 17, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33 | December 17, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Cowher has won the same number of Superbowls that Gruden won.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:18 AM

Posted by: Moose33 | December 17, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Because what we are talking about are HC candidates with connections to Bruce Allen.

If all we are making are lists of Superbowl winners, then why aren't you pissed off that Brian Billick hasn't been mentioned??

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

If people can be deemed idiots because their siblings are then I'm thinking many of your siblings are idiots.

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

What if Allen decides to give Zorn as much time as the team has/is giving Campbell to perform?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 17, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

All the haters can SHUT THE HECK UP.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. This literally made me lol at work. People prolly think I am nuts I laughed so loud.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 17, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jaradel | December 17, 2009 10:23 AM

Cautious optimism seems a smart course - I agree.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 17, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Danny's now got pictures of vinny with the goats. He couldn't resist. blackmail standoff.

Posted by: DrWho2 | December 17, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Like I thought...Vinny found out Dan had multiple GM's on the side. I expect a statement from Dan later today, apologizing for his transgressions!

Posted by: shyde13 | December 17, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Adam Schefter on ESPN now saying "It would not surprise me if, at the end of the season, the Redskins make a major run at Shanahan."

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I think the talks with Bruce Allen and others including Shanahan have been ongoing for weeks which explains the timing of Vinny's 'resignation'. I'm sure that Snyder complied with the Rooney rule if Allen was hired already.

As for head coach, Gruden has a good record and has won a Super Bowl. He's also shown that he'll get rid of big name players who don't get with the program (can you say Keyshown Johnson?). I'm not a huge fan of Shanahan who did nothing after Elway's retirement. Allen may also consider some of the other available names as well. Logic and $$'s say that Gruden is named head coach if Allen is GM.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 17, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

If not Zorn, who?:

Greg Williams-Won't happen

Jon Gruden- Probably already done.

Mike Shanahan- Allen and Shanahan don't get along.

Russ Grimm- Sure why not.

This should be the interview list.

Oh, I forgot about the Rooney Rule requiring a minority candidate:

Ron Riviera

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 10:19 AM
-----------------------------------------
Not because of the Rooney rule, but because it makes sense:

Tony Dungy
Dennis Green

Riviera had that whole head coach / defensive coordinator thing blow up in his face between Chicago and Sand Diego. There's something really iffy about the guy.

I think Gruden is most logical. He was with the Raiders and Tamp with Allen. I don't think we should rule out the fact that Zorn could be retained. Although I am opposed to the idea, there is a possibility that they could hang the whole season on Vinny and decide to give Zorn the opportunity to turn it all around - with perhaps a few changes in coaches (Sherm Lewis replaces Sherm Smith, Jerry Gray replaces Greg Blache, etc.).

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 17, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen drafts in the West Coast Off mold - I am sure of that (Tampa and Oakland both ran a version of that at the time). Could this mean that Zorn is staying now with a guy that knows the WCO? If so, does this off season (which may be uncapped) turn into a "fix up the line" instead of rebuild the team?

Posted by: ssh1549 | December 17, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez

Or what if their siblings are actually the smart ones in the family? Scary thought, but may be true based on some of these posts.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 17, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

i have been defending Gruden all morning...but I think the dude is loving his MNF gig and wont be the skins coach....

The only negative I see this AM, is the timing....as I have LOTS of work to do and can't tear myself away from RI for the first time in about a month.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Doc also said Zorn had a lot more power than people think.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 17, 2009 10:22 AM

If he was allowed to go to the toilet without asking permission, that would be more power than most people think.

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Everyone, I would like to formally apologize to everyone and anyone I have ever insulted on the blog. I have taken my frustrations out on this board and in the process have written vile, hateful comments. I felt hopeless with the situation that we were living with our hometown Redskins. I can't believe the news that has broken this morning and I say kudos to Snyder for finally putting his things in order and making the right move. From here on out let's see how this plays out and support Bruce Allen to the highest. I hope everyone can accept my apology. Thank you for your time.

Posted by: ElBigChroizo | December 17, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 17, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Rooney rule only applies to head coaching candidates, not FO positions.

But I agree wholeheartedly that a big positive about Gruden is that he holds players accountable and he's not afraid to stand up to the "stars".

If he gets hired, I'd love to see how many practices Portis gets to sit out...

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

damn.. there goes my board handle..

what cooked Vinny?
1. 4-9
2. forgot about the OLine.
3. empty seats at FedEX and/or opposing team fans filling them.
4. Marty Shottenheimer dissed him last week on a major network (see below)
5. He forgot to address Danny as "Mr. Snyder".

btw, if Gruden isnt coming on board.. Look for Marty Ball to be in the mix.. He and Dan are still close friends..
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
From 4 days ago..

The feud lingers between Marty Schottenheimer, the ex-Redskins coach, and Vinny Cerrato, the current Washington personnel chief.

Schottenheimer, on Sirius NFL Radio, had a scathing analysis of the Washington Post's report that Cerrato had joined team owner Daniel Snyder scouting Texas QB Colt McCoy recently.

"When you send Dan out along with Vinny Cerrato, Vinny's going to tell him whatever he thinks Dan wants to hear," Schottenheimer on his Sirius NFL Radio show. "Dan, God love him, I don't know that the analysis and evaluation of quarterbacks is necessarily down his alley."

Cerrato left the Redskins during Schottenheimer's one season coaching in Washington in 2001. He returned after Schottenheimer's dismissal.

The ex-coach said the Redskins, 3-9 entering Week 13, must remove Cerrato before they can get better:

"I've said for a long time, in my opinion the problem down there --obviously it starts at the top with Dan--but it is Cerrato.

"I don't particularly respect the guy. He and I had our issues when we were there. Basically what he said was, 'Marty, Dan may be listening to you during the preseason,' he says. 'But wait until I get up in the owner's box during the regular season, and then we'll see who Dan listens to.'

"Now how's that? How's that? And of course, he was gone within the week but re-hired shortly after I departed. So now, Dan, he's made his choice (some) time ago, but I'm not a big fan of Cerrato and his work."

-- Sean Leahy

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | December 17, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

RIP Chris Henry.

Posted by: Realness1 | December 17, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Are you really excited about Gruden? What did he do after they got rid of Dungy's players. I'm so sick of everyone jocking him because he won that title. Well he did not pick the players. That defense was in tact. All he did was make sure the offense did not shoot itself in the foot. He is not that great.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | December 17, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Had to weigh in and say WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO! even if that isn't something that would appropriately come from a grown man. . .

Feeling like I am 18 again this morning and the redskins best days could be ahead of them rather them behind them. . .

CL, I'm with you on the Dan thing, he's not going anywhere so might as well figure out how to deal. . .

Also feeling pretty good about not passing season tiks when my number came up after 20 years last year. . .

HTTR!

Just goes to show you that even a blind Macaca can find a banana tree every once in a while. . .

Posted by: skinsfan8KaboveMSL | December 17, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Dan Snyder for the early Christmas present. My wife couldn't do this good! BYE BYE VINNY YOU A$$ CLOWN!

Posted by: redryan400 | December 17, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 17, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I think a combined approach is best. Take the best player available in a position of need. Don't reach for a 2nd round left tackle with the #8 pick overall when a top 10 running back or top 5 safety is on the board.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 17, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Chucky would be crazy to leave his gig on MNF to come coach for the skins, but if he really wants to coach again, I guess you never know. Gotta think he would bring accountability, a tough work ethic, and would be a good QB coach for whoever they go with at QB. I would be pretty happy if they brought him in, but I am still on the Russ Grimm bandwagon. Unfortunately they can’t hire him until the Cards’s season is over. I like the timing of the Allen hire so he can really get a good look at existing coaches and players during live conditions and see how they prep, practice and play…..he won’t have to rely solely on film and OTA’s to figure out what the team needs.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 17, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

RIP Chris Henry. So sad. Not a good way to go either.

F you idiots talking about Bruce Allen being racist. Show me some evidence of this, please.

George, yes. Bruce, not so much.

Also, dcsween, if you're out there in blog-land. I cant get to FB from work but yes, I'm interested. If you could, send me the details.

Thanks

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 17, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Chrislarry,

Gotta love Gruden's personality as a coach and a radio announcer. Honest, funny, and tough guy. Maybe with Allen and an owner who isn't afraid to spend, some good things would happen around here.

Whatever happens, at least these moves give us hope moving forward.

Posted by: swowra | December 17, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Thank God the Hypnotoad is gone. Wonder if danny read Cerratto's comments to marty about being the wormtongue in the owners box during the season and called him out.

Posted by: Realness1 | December 17, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Come down people....No one was coming to Vinnie's defense when people were tar and feathring him.....

These are all people...people you don't know...So who are you all to pick and choose who gets villified?

While I am glad Vinnie is gone, it was all Snyder's fault in the first place. And while Bruce Allen will be getting rid of all these Joe Gibbs contract...A lot of the core will be coming from Vinnie's 2 drafts.....

But continue with your witches chants as you may.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

If in fact Zorn is out at the end of this season....

Keep in mind that both Gruden and Shanahan are West Coast Offense guys -- something that would allow the team to continue in that direction.

Whether the WCO is or is not the right answer for the Skins is a different issue.

Posted by: clchapman | December 17, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I don't care what the decision on the coach is, today the Redskins are better off then they were yesterday. Allen is soooooooooooooooo much better than Cerrato that we are a better team. Whether its Grimm, Shanny, Cowher, and or Gruden we will be better off than with Zorn. We are improved! that's what matters, everyone can quibble on one side or the other of which coach they want for which reasons and this guy did this and that one did that. But the fact remains, of personnel people out there Bruce Allen is one of the most respected and proven guys out there, and whatever name he picks to coach the team they will be a better coach than Zorn. We are better!!!!

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

something big happens and all the d bag posters show up again, awesome...

Interested to see what Bruce Allen's first move will be or statement for that matter...

The word on Cowher is that he only wants to go where he can rule all or have Colbert, Steelers GM go with him.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 17, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

wonder if this part of the quote from Marty, 4 days ago, got Vinny canned (he didnt resign)? Maybe Dan finally realized he was being manipulated by Vinny.

++++++++

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | December 17, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I think Jerry Gray will also get an interview as a minority candidate.

Would not surprise me to see Gruden HC and Gray AHC - Defense

Posted by: noonefromtampa | December 17, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Cower is going to Carolina with his guy Colbert so end of discussion on him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

On Allens idiot brother, yes its not fair to judge him by what his d0uch brother said, my brothers a d0uch and I don't get judged by his actions.

I dont see Gruden as the next head coach.A lot of other options out there from that same tree. I still would prefer a Defensive minded head coach.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 17, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to take some time out to call out some lousy performance, and it's not the Redskins.

JReid, LaCa would have been all over this story earlier and better. You need to step your game up rather than waiting for ESPN to tell you the story or watching for some other online byline to get out in front of your hometown coverage. I was disappointed to see Insider whiff on this one because I wake up and go to sleep with that bookmark.

I know it's going to be a long day, but get us the news first. Step yo game up!

Posted by: skinsmc | December 17, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"Whatever happens, at least these moves give us hope moving forward.

Posted by: swowra"

Tru dat!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUMD | December 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

It goes WAY beyond his brother George making "a racist statement," but you're right, Bruce shouldn't be judged based on his brother's actions.

Posted by: rbpalmer | December 17, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

You just wait. Cerrato will get a job with another team (receptionist, jockstrap launderer, whatever) and that team will win a championship, and then he'll have five rings. We'll rue the day we slandered his good name.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Why wouldn't Allen and Shanny get along?

They weren't in Oakland at the same time, right?

I don't see Allen going with Gruden.....But I see a WCO Coach not named Zorn and Holmgrem...

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

"I'm so sick of everyone jocking him because he won that title. Well he did not pick the players. That defense was in tact. All he did was make sure the offense did not shoot itself in the foot. He is not that great."

So he won a Super Bowl with a talented, intact defense by taking care of the offense and making sure that they didn't shoot themselves in the foot. And he didn't pick the players because he had a GM.

Obviously, there's no way that formula would work for this team. I mean, we don't have a talented top 10 defense, the defense will not be intact next year, we don't have an offense that shoots itself in the foot, and we don't have a GM who will pick his players.

You're right. Gruden is obviously not the proper guy for this job.

Posted by: psps23 | December 17, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Fellow Redskin Fans, I live down here in FL
Jon Gruden lost his team, with his mind games, humiliation and manipulation.

Ex- Intentionally Calling Mike Alstott Mark Alstott
Turning on his QBs so quickly and throwing them under the bus,
Turning on his Def C Monte Kiffin....

You don't want Gruden.
I don't either
HTTR!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | December 17, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Oh the front office has been frightful
And the fans so very spiteful
Post-season's a definite no,
Vinny goes, Vinny goes, Vinny goes.

We got a coach whose from Seattle
All hat and still no cattle
Who looks to be in the last throes
Vinny goes, Vinny goes, Vinny goes.

Merry Christmas, Skinerinos!
God bless us, everyone.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | December 17, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

What the hell does Bruce Allen's brother have to do with running a football team?

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 17, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"Posted by: SkinsneedaGM"

You can change your screen name now.

Posted by: psps23 | December 17, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

One thing you have to remember re: the fall off in Tampa after 2003. Around that time the Glazers (Tampa Owners) bought Manchester United and started spending all of their money supporting that team. The Bucs went from a team with the highest payroll to one that was consistently under the salary cap. Despite that, I think it's clear given the epic failure of the Raheem Morris season in tampa bay, Gruden/Allen were working miracles with very little.

That being said, leave politics out of a football discussion. George Allen has exactly nothing to do with Bruce Allen's talents as a general manager.

Also RIP Chris Henry

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 17, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"These are all people...people you don't know..."

Thanks for that.

Posted by: mike8 | December 17, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33 | December 17, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:23 AM

Personally, I don't care as much if the next head coach has won a SB or not, I just want someone to come in here with HCing experience and knows what he's doing. Would you really rather have Gruden over Cowher if you had a choice?

Cowher was 149-90 with the Steelers with 9 out of 15 seasons with double digit wins. Yes, he lost a bunch of playoff games but to New England a few times, to the Cowgirls, Denver, Buffalo, Tennessee etc. most of which went on to play (and some to win) the SB.

Posted by: Moose33 | December 17, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 17, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

You didn't know? If your brother says Macaka then you don't know how to run a football team. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Good golly... the biggest question in my mind is not the coach (which is important, of course, but hurts my head to think about... I'm almost positive it won't be Zorn, but I wouldn't say Gruden is better than even money at this point), it's whether Bruce Allen will keep Jason Campbell for 2010.

I can't imagine Allen would assess the situation and say that any rookie or FA QB would give us a better chance to win in 2010 than Campbell would. But he's taking over a front office that (allegedly) bent over backwards trying to get rid of Campbell just this last offseason.

Not that any of this will be settled right away, but I wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing about a contract extension for Campbell in the next few weeks... just a hunch.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Realness,
My thought exactly.. Its been only four days since Marty broke the news about what Vinny said to him.. Thats about the right amount of time for Redskins attorneys to write up a severance package for Vinny.

Realness wrote:

Posted by: Realness1 | December 17, 2009 10:33 AM
++++++++++++++

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | December 17, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

WOW. I haven't been on for a couple of days, but this is GREAT NEWS to come back to.

Wonder who the new HC will be.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 17, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I know it's going to be a long day, but get us the news first. Step yo game up!

Posted by: skinsmc | December 17, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | December 17, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

How interesting that all this breaks just as the MNF crew are getting to town for the Gints game.

To clear a couple things up: Yes, GM jobs do fall under the Rooney rule; and yes, the Redskins did comply. This has been percolating under the radar for quite some time.

Dungy recently "spoke with" a team and said he was not interested. Just saying is all. Perhaps Danny interviewed him for the GM job. Rooney: Check.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 17, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, Dan.

Posted by: DCV1 | December 17, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Redskins confirm Allen
By Ryan O'Halloran on Dec. 17, 2009 into Redskins 360

The Redskins just sent out a press release confirming Bruce Allen's appointment as executive vice president/general manager.
Just to review the time line:
Around 8 a.m.: Vinny Cerrato announces resignation.
Around 10 a.m.: Allen is hired.
"Bruce Allen is the personification of an NFL winner," owner Dan Snyder said. "Our fans know his heritage, we know his abilities. He is the right person to lead our club."
Allen, 53, is the son of the late Redskins coach George Allen. He served as senior assistant in Oakland and general manager with Tampa Bay.
Allen's hiring leads to natural speculation that Jon Gruden is in line to become the next Redskins coach. He signed a contract extension with ESPN last month but there is undoubtedly an out clause.
Allen was out of the NFL this year following his and Gruden's firing by Tampa Bay.
"This is an extraordinary opportunity with one of the world's most successful sports franchises," Allen said in a statement. "I love everything about this assignment. I know what it means to be dedicated to the Redskins. I can't wait to get to work."
The Redskins must now hire a coach with strong personnel skills. One league source said this morning that Allen had little input in Oakland (Al Davis runs the show) and in Tampa Bay, most of the pieces were in place and Gruden was largely responsible for make the offense work.
More later ...

Posted by: TWISI | December 17, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon WRONG AS USUAL. Just said on his chat the other day that Snyder wouldnt chop Cerrato. The GM tag is a sure sign Danny is ready to step back. I'm a true believer that as stubborn as he is, Snyder has also had the best interest of the team in mind. I'd be happy with Gruden, maybe happier with Grimm. Lets build up the O line, pick up a new r-back and get back to the physical, disciplined, grind it out redskin football that we saw in the glory days of the 80s.

Posted by: db73 | December 17, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

What if we did this now to let Allen get a good look at our team for 3 games and decide what he likes and what he doesn't like? Maybe hell actually decide to keep JC and JZ...

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 17, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I am maybe the biggest pink-o commie lefty bleeding heart d-bag up here.....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 10:12 AM

Sounds like you're spoiling for a fight with Cork. He's not going to let you claim his crown that easily.

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Is it me or is the air a little sweeter today, the sun a little brighter...?

Would rather have Cowher over Gruden but I'm just happy we finally have a real GM.

Posted by: Skeeterrific | December 17, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Allen give the Head Coaching and Off Coordinator position to Sherm Lewis (he's doing most of it now, anyway).
Jason and the overall Skin's offense have done nothing but improve since Sherm got comfortable with the playcalling.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | December 17, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33 | December 17, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Actually yes, I would prefer Gruden over Cowher, and I would prefer Shanahan over either, because IMO our problems for 15 years has been terrible offenses. I'm tired of knowing that most likely if the other team gets to 20 points we lose. I want a dynamic offensive team. The last two weeks even though they lost to the Saints has been fun to watch. I want wins, I want championships, but I also want to enjoy watching the games, I'm tired of our "identity" of crappy offense and good but still not dominant defense. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy, Allen is a major upgrade, whoever he hires as the new coach will be a major upgrade, and I'm on board no matter who they pick, but I'm hoping for a offensive minded coach with a track record of building a prolific offensive system.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Another opinion on CBS Sports:

What Skins should do
Posted on: December 17, 2009 10:08

Why do NFL teams recycle?

There are so many good football men under the publicity surface that deserve chances to lead teams.

Yet after the news Thursday that Washington Redskins executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato had resigned comes the talk that he will be replaced by Bruce Allen.

What?

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers fired Allen after the 2008 season.

So let me get this straight: Allen isn't good enough to work for the Bucs, but he's good enough for the Redskins and Dan Snyder?

What the Redskins should do is hire a young, energetic, smart personnel man to turn things around, much like the Atlanta Falcons did with Thomas Dimitroff.

Hire a football junkie, a lifer.

All those men have spent time working their way up the scouting ladder. All deserve chances to work running a team.

Recycling is good for the environment.

It's not good when it comes to running NFL teams.

Posted by: mattylight | December 17, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

To all the Gruden-haters.

I don't know why you have to pee on this wonderful day b/c you don't like Jon Gruden.

WE HAVE NOT HIRED GRUDEN!

What we've done is remove the malignant tumor from the Redskins organization, and hired a well-respected GM with a track record of success.

Instead of dumping hate on a coach that we've not hired, LET'S JUST ENJOY THE REALITY OF WHAT HAS TAKEN PLACE.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

The next three games just got a healthy jolt of juice....wow....canning vinny with games on the table was a very wise move.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I agree Nate. To be honest for me the most important "question" has already been answered.

Will we have a GM running this organization that is not Danny's boy and who is not a Coach/GM.

The answer is yes and I'm happy about it.

The next question should be the first one posed to Bruce at the press conf. Which is, "Did you and Dan have a conversation regarding his role in the Personnel Decisions and if yes what was it?"

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"Nonsense. It was Snyder's own radio station, WTEM, "ESPN 980" that broke the story, not ESPN the network. Since Vinnie's "resignation" was no doubt at Snyder's behest, who else were the Redskins going to break the story to?"

rbpalmer:
I don't want to go too hard on your man, and think it's great you're sticking up for him. But he hasn't broken a story all season, and Shefter and everyone else was way out in front on the Allen hire, Sherm Lewis and everyone else. I like JReid, but calling it for what it is.

Posted by: skinsmc | December 17, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I love this. I'm so happy today. I can appreciate some people's comments about the outright racist GEORGE Allen, but let's judge Bruce on what Bruce does. It's not necessarily irrelevant to bring it up, but it's not exactly fair to treat them like they're the same.

I can't wait to see what Allen does. A few people are dissing on Allen and Gruden for how things ended in Tampa Bay but honestly who was their talent on offense and how much was that owner willing to spend to get it?

Seems to me, Gruden got a lot out of the talent at both stops. When he had playmakers on offense, he had a great offense and almost took them to the show (Oakland); then his talent was flipped around to the defense and he won the whole thing against the team he built to run his system. That tells me that when he has talent, he knows how to play to his team's strengths. That's pretty much the most important thing in a coach

Posted by: manifested | December 17, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | December 17, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

The CBS opinion guy is a dolt.

Hiring Bruce Allen is EXCELLENT for the Skins.

Bruce Allen has the reputation and moxy to take the reins of the organization and not get pushed around by Dan Snyder.

The problem with hiring a first-time GM is the same problem we've seen with hiring a first-time coach.

They don't yet have the credibility and reputation to prevent from getting neutered by a meddling owner.

If we were to hire a first-time GM, I imagine a Cleveland Browns/George Kokinis situation developing.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse
**********************************
Or if you just carry a football with you to every.single.campaign.stop to try to trick people that you are really your father. Seriously - he even had it at his I lost rally.

Posted by: suzannepdc | December 17, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Why would they hire this conservative homo who is the brother of that racist George Allen? I already miss Cerrato.

Posted by: 9zero | December 17, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

From By Ryan O'Halloran on Dec. 17, 2009 into Redskins 360

"The next move for the Redskins is the likely ouster of Jim Zorn, who must now concentrate on the task at hand (Monday's game against the Giants) while taking at least a little bit of pleasure that he outlasted Cerrato.
More later ..."
++++++++++++++++++++++
Hey O'Halloran..
Snyder will not fire Zorn with only 3 meaningless games left and throw away 6 million dollars (Zorn's buyout amount if fired before the end of the season).

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | December 17, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2009 10:43 AM

Agreed. Easy to pin all the Campbell-hate on Cerrato at this point. "The main reason I had to fire Vinny was because he was so wrong about Jason."

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

BINGO!! Couldn't agree more, I want an offense that gets 400 yards per game EVERY WEEK. I could care less about ball control, grind it out crap, score, thats all, score tons of points, make the other team change their offensive approach, make them one dimensional trying to play catch up...OFFENSE wins

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

It is going to be an awkward week with MNF in town preping for the game interviewing the coaches. I can see Grunden in Zorn's office taking measurments thinking about how he is going to change it.

Posted by: wstclair | December 17, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I hope you guys don't see this as a good thing. I've lived in Tampa since 2003 and if Allen brings Gruden with him, you will be begging for Vinny and whatever idiot coach he hired back! Gruden is the most hated man in Tampa (and he won a Superbowl!!!). Allen is his "yes man" and has no real spine or thoughts of his own. That's probably why Snyder hired him.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 17, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

mattylight

"Here's some names: Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals, Eric DeCosta, Baltimore Ravens, Terry McDonough, Jacksonville Jaguars and Will Lewis, Seattle Seahawks."

Interviewing any of these guys seems like a logical thing to me.

But what do I know.

I just pound de drum and blog all day.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 17, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Good morning fellow fans!!

Bruce Allen is a fine choice for GM. I am just happy to finally have one in DC! Gruden will be a good choice for HC, as would Holmgren, Cowher, etc, etc....IMO they have all had relatively similar levels of success as coaches. I mean, there aren't anymore Gibbs, Strams, Walshs anymore. No "lengendary" coaches....IMO they are all pretty good, but none of them really present a "sure thing" to me. I want our next HC to be hungry and quite frankly a bit angry and with a chip on his shoulder. I want someone to bring accountability to this franchise that I love so much. I think Gruden will do a good job of that. I hate to see Zorn go, but wish him nothing but the best in the future.

If it happens, then I welcome Gruden with open arms.

HAIL!

Posted by: httr20081 | December 17, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

First of all a melancholy shout out to Chris Henry. So sad to see those who were making bad decisions then turn their lives around only to have it end so tragic. Chris Henry's and Sean Taylor's deaths are two of the most flukiest I've ever heard in my life. I can't think of two more young brothers the saying "I don't look for trouble, it seems to find me" applies to more than those two. RIP Chris Henry...

Damn...

On another more positive note, so Vinny Cerrato has excused himself over in Ashburn, huh? Well that sounds good and all, and I'm not to sold on Bruce Allen. Who did he draft? Why did his teams in Tampa suck so bad toward the latter of his time there? Still too many questions about him to get overly excited about his hire, IMO.

But that don't mean I can't cream my khakis, change, and then jizz my jeans over the departure of Vincent Cerrato though!!! It was time for him to resign/get fired a few years back. I will not miss him running the team. I really think he had more influence over Snyder and personnel decisions than what most of us would like to think. So with Vinny gone, will the Redskins start to make more logical personnel decisions? We'll see, if not then we'll know who the true culprit is.

And as far as Bruce Allen being blood brothers with that jackass d-bag George Allen, for those who can't understand why Bruce would be associated with George's views, let me ask you this:

What were your thoughts on Marcus Vick before he began to have his issues with the law?

I don't remember too many people being high on him, they quickly labeled him a thug, not a real QB, character risk -- the same labels they attached to Vick they attached to him.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I was calling for this after game 4 hoping it would happen at the bye week, get rid of Vinny, bring in the new personnel guy and put everyone on notice there's a new sheriff in town and everyone is playing for their jobs. It took Dan a little longer than that but hey, I give him credit, he did it. I still maintain Danny could be one of the best owners in the league, if he focuses on the business of the Redskins and allows football people to run the football side while remaining willing to spend on players, he could be the best owner in the league. Maybe it took 10 years of failure for him to figure this out, if so and if he has learned and we start winning, I for one will be quick to forgive him and today is a great start.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus! Thank You Dan Snyder for the glorious early x-mas present in a real GM. Now please stay out of Allens way & let him run the show, no more fantasy football crap!!!

Posted by: skinhead62 | December 17, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if the MNF crew will bring it up during the Telecast. Put Gruden on the spot.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 17, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

The CBS opinion guy is a dolt.

Hiring Bruce Allen is EXCELLENT for the Skins.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

p1,

Not trying to be argumentative, and let's all agree that the fact that Vinny is not around is our main cause for joy today.

Having said that, I don't see what the rush was to bring in someone else. We could have vetted plenty of qualified guys, like DeCosta at Baltimore, and hired a good GM. Now, Allen might be that, and OK maybe he can stand up to Snyder, but that's not all he needs to do. He also needs to built a quality roster. Looks like he had some good drafts in Oakland, but his selections in TB were awful. So from that perspective, I think the jury is still out on him...

Also, the Kokinis thing is a completely different situation. He never had any say in that job, Mangini did...

Posted by: mattylight | December 17, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I agree that the Skins should of interviewed more GM candidates..but Snyder will not check his Ego with anyone else working for the Skins unless its someone with DNA from his Redskins childhood memories... ala Gibbs and now George Allen's progeny, Bruce Allen..

weird but true..

========================
mattylight

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | December 17, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUMD | December 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse
This all didn't just happen. I'm sure Snyder has been working on this for several weeks. I think we will find out that BA just agreed to a contract last night or early this morning. Then DS has VC resign. VC could well have another job within the radio network or some other job with one of Snyder's companies.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 17, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUMD | December 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | December 17, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Here's a couple of Gruden stories...

Mike Alstott misses a key block on a goal line situation. He comes over to the sideline and Gruden cusses him up and down. The next day, Alstott goes into his office and tells him "you don't need to talk to me like that, I'm a grown man and that's not how you motivate me". Gruden looks him in the face and tells him he never said any of that and is lying to him.

#2...Gruden bashes WR Tim Brown every week in the Bucs offensive meetings. 6 weeks later, Gruden and Allen bring Brown in on a contract and talks him up like he's the greatest WR ever.

He's a two faced POS liar who you DO NOT WANT RUNNING YOUR TEAM.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 17, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

finally a step in the right direction...

Posted by: buke | December 17, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Ding Dong the witch is dead now that is funny shtt.

Posted by: BleedBurgandGold | December 17, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I don't think you can completely discount what he did in Oakland as being "Al Davis' puppet". If anything, the complete disaster of personel moves made since 2003 show Al Davis had at least some help prior to then. Furthermore, Raiders were already mediocre on their way to joke status before Allen/Chuckie took over. When Allen/Gruden were with the team is the last time the Raiders were dominant

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 17, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Doc also said Zorn had a lot more power than people think.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 17, 2009 10:22 AM

Posted by: League-Source

Agreed L-S. And also, when it comes to matters on-the-field, I listen to Doc. When it comes to matters off-the-field, he is usually way off base. Vinny not mentioning Zorn in his release statement, plus the whole hiring of Sherm Lewis, etc, definitely indicates that there were problems between Cerrato and Zorn. But I don't think The Danny will be pushing his chips behind Zorn.

As for Bruce Allen, I take his signing as Grunfeldian (it's a word). Much like Grunfeld, Allen is a marked improvement over the cluster* that has been in place, but it remains to be seen if he has what it takes to get the Skins over the top. So I would call this moving the FO from crappy and dysfunctional to average, with hopes that it can go up from there.

Posted by: ts35 | December 17, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

The CBS opinion guy is a dolt.

Hiring Bruce Allen is EXCELLENT for the Skins.

Posted by: p1funk | December 17, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

p1,

Posted by: mattylight | December 17, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I LIVE IN TAMPA, TRUST ME, YOU DO NOT WANT HIM BRINGING IN GRUDEN AND BURYING THIS FRANCHISE LOWER THAN IT IS! HE IS A YES MAN! NOTHING MORE!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 17, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

My Dumb Fan Thought For Today: Gruden created a formidable Raiders team with former Redskins QB Gannon. Gruden won a Super Bowl with former Redskins QB Brad Johnson. Imagine what he could do with a current Redskins QB :-O

My Rational Fan Thought For Today: If Bruce Allen can work with Al Davis and build a winner, signs look positive for him to be able to work with Snyder. Here's hoping...

Posted by: paperboy76 | December 17, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

WHY DON'T WE CARRY 5 QB'S ON THE ROSTER LIKE THE BUCS USED TO? THAT'S THE ALLEN/GRUDEN TEAM I'VE LIVE WITH HERE IN TAMPA.

Remember, Allen traded for Plummer who refused to even play for the Bucs. This guy is not the answer!

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 17, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Franchise soup, keep Zorn give them one year with a better o-line, if it does not work redo. Draft LT in first round, Spillar in 2nd than more o-line, olb etc...

Posted by: BleedBurgandGold | December 17, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Make of this what you will but a friend of mine works catering at the stadium and was working the owners box at the last home game and when he was taking coffee up to the owners suite he saw Snyder and Vinny screaming at each other outside in the hallway, perhaps it was a sign things were deteriorating between them. In any event, I'm stoked that Vinny is gone, it was the only hope of a chance of a turnaround the organization has.

Posted by: forever8-8 | December 17, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Glorious day! That stupid, narcissistic, football-dilettante owner is now Mr. Snyder again. Better late than never. Let's hope BA was the right choice and that the owner isn't a tampering recidivist.

Posted by: chris_zz | December 17, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

What about Jeff Fisher for HC? Is he still on the ropes with the Titans or has he redeemed himself over the past several weeks?

Posted by: FJackieMarlo | December 17, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Won't be Cowher or Holmgren, they had some not nice things to say about Danny & Vinnies' treatment of Zorn. Shannahan is a grinch. Chucky would be good.

Posted by: ch4gas | December 17, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Jim Fassel is still available (snickering)

Posted by: rsmskc | December 17, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

No problem with Allen, Gruden, I don't think so. We don't need six QB's on our roster.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | December 17, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

This is absolutely unbelievable. Bruce Allen has a mediocre record as a manager and could not get a job after the Bucs canned him. This looks like just another hire by Snyder of someone with name cache associated with the Redskins past. The hire seems to take Holgren and Shanahan out of the equation and I sure hope that it is not a sign that Gruden is on the way.

Let's look at the bright side and hope that it means Tony Dungy can be lured out of retirement. That really is too much to hope for.

This train wreck of a season at least offerred hope that it would serve as a wake up call to Snyder, but apparently he has just hit the snooze bar.

Posted by: tammany | December 17, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Current Odds on next coach...

Gruden 2-1
Grimm 75-1
Cowher 500-1
Shanny 10000-1
Zorn staying 1000000000000 to 1

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Riggo, I'd take Zorn at 50-1 right now if you want on $10.

Did we just make RI a gaming parlor?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 17, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Stop yelling dude. My ears hurt.

@BleedBurgandGold- I love your plan, but it assumes Spiller will be there in Round 2. No chance.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

_______________

Did you really need to repost this? Excuse me while I got throw up in my yogurt. Guess I'm a racist.

Wait...I just gave it more air time...$^$%&$*!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse