Report: Gray to coach Memphis (updated)

Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray will be named head coach at the University of Memphis, according to a report by Joe Schad of ESPN.com.

The Redskins will practice at 11:30 today and Jim Zorn and Gray, who is the defensive spokesman, will be available afterward.

Practice update

Not participating in Redskins practice were Albert Haynesworth, DeAngelo Hall and Clinton Portis, Rick Maese tweets. It wasn't clear, during the portion of practice we were allowed to watch, whether Mike Williams was participating.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 25, 2009; 10:37 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins sign QB Bartel, add a FB (updated)
Next: McNabb on Campbell: 'No one wants to be benched'

Comments

Glad to hear it. I hope memphis fans are prepared to watch their DB's learn how not to make a tackle.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 25, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Good luck Jerry, I think you'll do a fine job.

Posted by: TWISI | November 25, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Not sure how this makes sense for Gray. I mean, I get he wanted to run as far away as the Redskins as possible, but why go coach a college program that has little, if any, upside or potential?

Posted by: mattylight | November 25, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

not sure how I feel about Gray jumping ship...on one hand I look at the talent in the secondary, and feel like it should be better, but on the other hand, I look at Rogers/Landry, and don't see much improvement over the past 2-3 years....conflicted, I am...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 9:46 AM |

not sure why you frittered away electrons posting this ... all the Skinz coaches will be out after the season is over ... complete new coaching staff to rebuild team ... hope Buges and Blache enjoy retirement ... mebbe Sherm can hook them up w/some bingo gigs ... not sure why I frittered away electrons posting this ... I feel bad about my turkey ... not heirloom free range organic fed ...

Posted by: LibertyValence | November 25, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | November 25, 2009 10:48 AM |

1. Money
2. Low expectations -- easy to beat 'em
3. Best offer expected
4. Gets to run his own show
5. Barbeque!

Other than that, yeah, the guy must be a fool.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

best of luck...hire Darrell Green to replace him...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

5. Barbeque!

Other than that, yeah, the guy must be a fool.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Ahh, good old Memphis BBQ...why didn't I think of that?

Posted by: mattylight | November 25, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

best of luck...hire Darrell Green to replace him...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

None for me thanks. I don't want a former player, who in his last years did all he could to undermine the coaching staff and teamates.

Posted by: The_Spear | November 25, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, until this story broke I was unaware that Memphis fielded a collegiate football team.

Good for Gray, I guess.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Ahh, good old Memphis BBQ...why didn't I think of that?

Posted by: mattylight | November 25, 2009 10:56 AM

I'm also betting that he can get the VIP tour of Graceland.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

hope he has studied up on the Jon Calipari book of recruiting.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 25, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

greg that's how they did it last year. this year needs to be- hire someone to run football operations, that person hires a GM, both of them hire coaches.

any thing else is lather, etc, etc.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 25, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I feel bad about my turkey ... not heirloom free range organic fed ...

Posted by: LibertyValence | November 25, 2009 10:52 AM |

Good luck with that. You and your family will be sick for a week.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

1. Money
2. Low expectations -- easy to beat 'em
3. Best offer expected
4. Gets to run his own show
5. Barbeque!

Other than that, yeah, the guy must be a fool.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:53 AM |

Money - mebbe. But it sure ain't Dan Snyder money.

Posted by: LibertyValence | November 25, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

LibertyV, I was playing the mock-pretentious-yuppie-d-bag-pseudo-food-snob-from-Portland card. Making fun of myself for insisting on the "best" turkey (in the sense of honorifics and credentials like "heirloom") I could find from my local yupster/hipster-friendly food purveyor... as if my taste buds could possibly perceive a difference.

Brine, baby, brine! Is all I gots to say about that. Dik, I got the apple cider brine recipe off of epicurious. I'm going to hit this baby with some butter before it goes into the stove, too. Two sticks, you say?! AMAZING indeed, sir.

Michael Pollan rulz.
Micheal Wolgenheimer droolz.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

one less candidate, congrats Zorn or Lewis, etc.

we signed a QB because we're drafting O. line next season right?, right?

or because now with a 3rd string RB we know our QBs are ph uked

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 25, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 10:57 AM

No collegiate football team? What did you think, Nate? That they took a bunch of Charlottesville pee wee leaguers and called them Wahoos?

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Money - mebbe. But it sure ain't Dan Snyder money.

Posted by: LibertyValence | November 25, 2009 11:00 AM

Hey, amnesia, go back and read your own post. You pointed out that there will be no more Dan Snyder money when the season ends. How could you forget so quickly? Double concussion?

Anyway, you don't think he's getting a substantial pay increase?

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

L-S/t_e, I've been aware for years that dear old UVa does not field a collegiate football team.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Hmm... barbeque... now I want some barbeque...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 11:08 AM

Yeah, but nobody in the ACC is reputed to do parties better than the UVa, and only UNC gives them a race. Too bad it's not an NCAA sport.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Ahem... so who are our "running backs" this week? Rock Cartwright and this Ganther person? Anyone else?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Playing Time from the Times:

Here are the playing time totals for the Redskins against Dallas.

OFFENSE (60 snaps)

RB: Ladell Betts 7, Rock Cartwright 41, Quinton Ganther 11, Mike Sellers 31.

TE: Fred Davis 44.

WR: Devin Thomas 49, Malcolm Kelly 17, Antwaan Randle El 37, Marko Mitchell 6, Santana Moss 57.

DEFENSE (63 snaps)

DL: Kedric Golston 50, Lorenzo Alexander 3, Jeremy Jarmon 2, Phillip Daniels 48, Anthony Montgomery 14, Cornelius Griffin 47, Andre Carter 60.

LB: Rocky McIntosh 58, H.B. Blades 10, London Fletcher 63, Chris Wilson 13, Brian Orakpo 54.

DB: Justin Tryon 20, Carlos Rogers 16, DeAngelo Hall 54, Fred Smoot 57, LaRon Landry 63, Reed Doughty 57

CWilson got more time which I think is a good thing, however the 5 plays for Jarmon, and Alexander are puzzling...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Why has my man Springs been inactive the past 2 weeks for NE? He's not hurt.

We never should have let him go.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 25, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

best of luck...hire Darrell Green to replace him...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Posted by: The_Spear | November 25, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

it hurts me to agree with Bean, but a fan should never speak ill of 28!

Plus Gray can now watch some serious basketball.......

Posted by: rupertpupkin | November 25, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Marcus Mason

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 25, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Why has my man Springs been inactive the past 2 weeks for NE? He's not hurt.

We never should have let him go.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 25, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

We'd be well over the salary cap right now if we kept him.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Marcus "Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Jim Brown and Adrian Peterson all rolled into one" Mason

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 25, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Hmm... barbeque... now I want some barbeque...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 11:11 AM

Hey, Portland, what does BBQ mean to you?

Free-sty, heirloom pork, smoked in chips from an 800-year-old organically grown Redwood, basted with native Chinook-motherland tomato sauce served on blue corn tortillas?

Is that what comes to mind, or is it the greasy pig stuff that the rest of us eat?

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Mmmmmmm....barbeque'd TURKEY... achlachlachlachlachlac...drool.

That brining (sp?) sounds awesmoe! A guy at my office swears upon injecting orange or cranberry juice a few times in the cooking process. Sounds great, too.

But my favorite Turkey of all time (que Kanye...) was in 1987 at my dorm-mate's parents' place in Ft. Lauderdale. We're talkin' PICADILLO stuffed Turkey!! And it was the picadillo w/ almonds, oranges & cranberries.

Picadillo is how Carribbean latins prepare ground beef. Sofrito and spices make up the bulk of the flavor. It was infused throughout the turkey. Best I've ever had!!

Thank you Kanye.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 25, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Why has my man Springs been inactive the past 2 weeks for NE? He's not hurt.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 25, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Because he is not hurt and New England had not plannd for this contingency.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 25, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

lisa, were you being serious about springs?? What does he not being active say about him and his skills? We saw the writing on the wall last year, he's an older corner, who's best day's are behind him....

letting him go was a good move....however what would have made that a better move would be getting Barnes some playing time....they kind of go hand in hand....let go of the old declining guy, bring in the young rook...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

"What if this dude Okung's stock tanks at the combine, like Malcolm Kelly did?"

I've said it once and will say it again: I'm waiting until the combine before passing judgement on all these linemen types folks hype.

Okung--for example--has played in a Big 12 Conference that most folks is a little down talent wise outside of Texas.

To me, he looks like a right tackle and Ciron Black--a guy who faces SEC quality speed rushers--does as well.

I'd take Black in the late in the second round and move him to right tackle if I can't trade down and get Okung late in the first.

But until you see these guys in drills against top notch guys at the combine, a lot of this chatta is just that.

Chatta.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 25, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

team's loss there, definitely. Sorry, Dannyboy, but no amount of charity event PR teasers are going to help you. It's been your show for awhile and people--fans, players, and coaches--are leaving the theater while the rest have already been deterred by bad reviews.

Posted by: pgugino | November 25, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 25, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Keep an eye on Bruce Campbell and Selvish Capers at the combine. This is chatta but we're bored. It ain't like we're talking about Playoffs.... Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

best of luck...hire Darrell Green to replace him...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Not sure how that would work out.

Green is the best we ever had (and etrod's all-time favorite) but technique was never exactly his strong suit. I don't know if that's something he could teach the young guys.

Now, if he can teach them to run sub 4.2 in the 40, well, that's a whole 'nother story.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 25, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 25, 2009 11:20 AM

What combine are you talking about? They lift weights and run around cones at the NFL combine. They don't do anything involving contact, and contact is all that a lineman's job involves.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Cool! He teach those guys how to play 10 yards off the ball, get beat on double (and single) moves, and get trucked by fat running backs and old, broken down QBs.

Congrats (the gift w/o a card is from me).

Posted by: nojunk4me | November 25, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Keep an eye on Bruce Campbell and Selvish Capers at the combine.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I'd only pick Bruce Campbell if we could hire Sam Raimi as the line coach.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 25, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

oe, Green worked with Tryon this offseason, and he's made strides, I was just throwing it out there....
as opposed to the team hiring Raphel Cherry as the new db coach...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Springs played in 8 games and has 28 tackles

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 25, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

mistamayor

"Ahem... so who are our "running backs" this week? Rock Cartwright and this Ganther person?"

Nate's right: why not feed us a thread about just who Quinton Ganther is?

What are his stats from Utah or whatever it is he went to college?

Wazzup was with the NFL face time he got elsewhere?

A little face time interview could reveal some details about the opportunity staring him in the face: the chance to earn serious playing time on an NFL roster.

If Rock is injured, it'll be all about the "Q".

And we know so little about him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 25, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

huge loss if true...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 25, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I'd only pick Bruce Campbell if we could hire Sam Raimi as the line coach.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 25, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I feel bad for the guy. You know he's gone through his whole life hearing these lame jokes. I bet he punches someone everytime he hears the word boomstick.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Money - mebbe. But it sure ain't Dan Snyder money.

Posted by: LibertyValence | November 25, 2009 11:00 AM

Anyway, you don't think he's getting a substantial pay increase?

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 11:08 AM |

Not that I doubt someone as omniscient as you, but I am curious. Could you please produce said post you refer to where I state that there "will be no more Dan Snyder money when the season ends". Thx.

Posted by: LibertyValence | November 25, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

league-source

"What combine are you talking about?"

Brainfart!

You're right: the combine is like a strip club setting for GMs, agents, and dudes who like to watch other dudes do drills in revealing outfits.

I meant the Senior Bowl practices.

There, you watch the player do drills and practice against each other in pads.

And the NFL Network runs it enough for you to get multiple looks at a guy you saw listed on some internet site.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 25, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

yeah, if Rock goes, down, we're in some serioius dire straights at RB....unprecedented I'd say...to be on your 3rd string is pretty bad....if I'm the Redskins I'd bring in Chris Henry for another look see...he's a bigger cat with wheels...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

We missed Rodgers in the run game last week, oh I'm reaching

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 25, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LibertyValence | November 25, 2009 11:31 AM

... all the Skinz coaches will be out after the season is over ...

Posted by: LibertyValence | November 25, 2009 10:52 AM

Right hand meet left hand.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Coach Grey, Hey if he turns the team around, maybe he can work himself into a BCS Job. He's been one of our hardest working coaches no doubt.

Posted by: Veretax | November 25, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Moe--Okung won't be at the Senior Bowl. He has everything to lose, nothing to gain, and will pass it up.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Lame jokes? Ouch!

I only say it bacause I feel his pain. My real world name is Kim Jong-Il.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 25, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Awesome. Because we won't consume bajillions of calories with our families tomorrow, my co-workers decided today would be a great day to bring a plethora of chocolate cakes, bluberry muffins, and banana-nuttish type breads to the office.

I mean nom nom nom who in the heck nom nom nom do they think is going to nom nom nom eat this crap today?

Posted by: 4-12 | November 25, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I wish him luck but am glad he is rolling out. Hopefully we will get someone that know not to play the corners 10 yars off the wr on 3rnd and 6.

Posted by: jm220 | November 25, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Wow! - an EvolDead/ArmyOfDarkness/BriscoCountyJunior reference.

Spot on good fellow!

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 25, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 25, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Okung did very well against Orakpo and shutout Von Miller and Greg Middleton.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Runyan signed with the Chargers yesterday? Why the F didn't we try to sign him as a stop-gap for the rest of this year instead of the throwaway from another team that we just signed?

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | November 25, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

it's one thing to step in as a back-up, but now defenses will key onthe fact that we have an undersized 3rd string RB.

maybe it means they dare us to run, maybe it means Rock, Q, and JC are in big trouble.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 25, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Lame jokes? Ouch!

I only say it bacause I feel his pain. My real world name is Kim Jong-Il.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 25, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Well, my real life name is Steve Hitler!! You know how hard it is to get a date when your last name is Hitler?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

pab, rock ran pretty well against dallas...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

he did bean for sure, but they didn't game plan for him

do you think they will dare us to run or try an k.o. him

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 25, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | November 25, 2009 11:44 AM

Runyan is retiring after this year. At least the other player signed has the potential to be on the team for more than 6 games.

Posted by: TWISI | November 25, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

p1funk- IMO, the dallas loss was more about play calling than the players (except the last drive, that was on the D). But as far as Dallas playing like crap, you got to give credit to our D up until the 4th quarter.
In the NFL any team can compete, how did KC beat Pittsburgh? How did the Bungles go from worst to first?

Posted by: priceisright | November 25, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I do give credit to our D. Even in the 4th quarter.

But one of the key storylines of that game was that Tony Romo suffered a pretty substantial injury early on in the game when he tackled DHall on the funble return and got kneed in the lower back. After the game he could barely walk and received a pain-killing injection - tells us alot about why their passing game sucked and why Romo was missing receivers all day.

Much like the Denver game, the lesson is that we can compete with any team in the NFL - if their starting QB gets injured early on.

Pittsburgh destroyed KC statistically, but KC got a TD on a kick return and Pittsburgh was also missing their starting QB at the end of the game.

Wanna know what happened to the Bengals? They got their starting QB back healthy this year.

I don't know what your definition of "compete" is, but we are 3-7 with some really atrocious losses against bad teams - and that's with a healthy starting QB.

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Redskins must have some reason for bringing in this Bartel fellow. Why now? Why use an active roster spot for him? ARE was a bonafide emergency guy, Woodson was running the scout team. Do they see Bartel as a groomable dark horse to compete next spring and summer?

I looked around the 'net to get some info re his skills...all i could find was the barely surface scratching info we have already seen like his bio measurables and his stats from his Browns pre season effort.

If he is quick witted, decisive, and accurate...well those are three very good things.

Anybody got anything on this guy? Conjecture as to why here and why now?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 25, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Briscoe County Junior! Wow. I'd forgotten all about that show.

The best part was that his sidekick was Sho 'Nuff from the Last Dragon.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 25, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Note TO:VaBeachBlitz: I wasn't aware that you had access to Redskin practice and Coach Gray's technique. He wants the hell out of this circus that's supposed to be pro football but emulate's Pop Warner.Jerry Gray is a very good coach and well organized i was hoping he'd be considered for HC here i mean why not, hell they hired dumb ass Steve Spurrier over a more qualified Marvin Lewis and then backed that up by hiring Jim Zorn over Greg Williams, yeah that's really working out. LMAO!!

Posted by: dargregmag | November 25, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

he did bean for sure, but they didn't game plan for him

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 25, 2009 11:49 AM

How do you "game plan" for Rock Cartwright? Look at films of him playing for Kansas State in 2001?

Not only had Dallas not "game planned" for him, but neither did the Redskins. This week with a RC game plan in place, RC is gonna be unstoppable.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LibertyValence | November 25, 2009 11:31 AM

... all the Skinz coaches will be out after the season is over ...

Posted by: LibertyValence | November 25, 2009 10:52 AM

Right hand meet left hand.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 11:33 AM |

You've completely lost me on this one. When I stated in an earlier post that the money he would be paid at Memphis is not "Dan Snyder money", I was speaking generically, as in the kind of money Dan Snyder pays his HCs. I mean, after all, he shelled out $3M/yr for Zorro, formerly a position coach. How this is linked to what you are posting is beyond me. The connecting dots are not there. Certainly no call for the "amnesiac" and having a "double concussion" comments. And then piling on with the "left hand/right hand" shti. I'd hate to be eating dinner at your Thanksgiving table tomorrow.

Posted by: LibertyValence | November 25, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

If nothing else the BBQ will be great in Memphis. The football program is dead. He will have a chance to be a hero!

Posted by: jtrob_1 | November 25, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

A couple of things here. Romo was almost shutout in green bay the week before so the injury didn't effect him as much as you think. He's been inaccurate for a while now.

Orton really just got lucky on a couple of blown coverages. He wasn't exactly lighting us up. Moreno was doing a lot more than Orton was.

The Bengals also got Kieth Rivers back form injury, signed Tank Johnson, and drafted Rey Mauluga. Their defense is much better and their schedule is much weaker. Palmer helped but it certainly isn't limited to him as to why they're so good this year.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | November 25, 2009 11:54 AM

Have you been talking to Coach Gray? Is this what he told you? I haven't seen this before you brought it up. Do you have a source for this or is this how you think you would feel if you were Coach Gray?

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

If any one of us says the name "Shaun Alexander" three times he'll be added to the active roster. So keep mum.

How is it that Ganther suited up instead of Marcus Mason last week? Was Mason in Canton getting fitted for his HOF jacket?

And how can we be sure Mason will be available this weekend? He might be booked in a studio at NFL Films narrating the next series of "Marcus Mason's Greatest Games."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I'd hate to be eating dinner at your Thanksgiving table tomorrow.

Posted by: LibertyValence | November 25, 2009 11:57 AM

Do I know you? I don't think you were invited were you? But thanks for letting me know and I won't save a place for you.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Kanye says Brisco County Junior was one of the best Saturday Morning Serials of ALL TIME!

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 25, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

How do we know that Ganther and Mason aren't the same person? Have you ever actually seen both of them at the same time? My guess is Ganther steps into the phone booth and Mason comes out.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

A word of caution: If any one of us says the name "Shaun Alexander" three times aloud, he'll be added to the Redskins' active roster.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Gray leave. He was the next puppet in waiting for Snyder.

Posted by: jdumb | November 25, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I just said it twice in comments up here, but I have NOT said it aloud...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

He's forgotten most of the Iggles signals.

Posted by: daggar | November 25, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Both Runyan and Levi Jones should have been signed before the season started. We'd probably still suck but at least Campbell may have had 3.2 seconds to throw rather than 2.4

F Ceratto

Posted by: ToddStinkston | November 25, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Mr. McQueen--

Thanks for all your good work. Glad that motorcycle got you over the fence and best of luck with the rest of your escape.

Signed,

The Rest of the Gang in the Stalag

Posted by: TheCork | November 25, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Campbell may have had 3.2 seconds to throw rather than 2.4

F Ceratto

Posted by: ToddStinkston

Would not have mattered. Anything less than 8 seconds will not help Campbell.

Posted by: Skins930 | November 25, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I thought I just saw that Runyan was running for Congress. Hmmm. Maybe that was "Shaun Alexander" Runyan.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 25, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Our next coach will be coaching this weekend.

Posted by: Redskins001 | November 25, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Will Jerry Gray leave the skins right away or after the season does anyone know?

Posted by: hammer4 | November 25, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes, here's the link. It is indeed "John" Runyan. Apparently, he'll retire after the season to run for office. I should read more than just the headlines, but I don't have the attention sp....look, more chocolate cake.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 25, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

F Ceratto

Posted by: ToddStinkston | November 25, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

That would help the sack numbers and if BMW was at guard instead of tackle we probably would have a pocket to throw out of. That in turn would help out quarterback accuracy since the QB can see better and has room to step into the throw. The running game would have been a lot stronger and we would be throwing into less coverage because of it. Ah, what could have been.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

He's forgotten most of the Iggles signals.

Posted by: daggar | November 25, 2009 12:14 PM

Whereas Fanaica has all of them and even the recent additions plus the current playbook.

If we'd signed Runyan before the season we'd pay him the whole year while he sat on IR. With Fanaica, we only have to pay him for six weeks and we pay him the rookie min. Yeah, us.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Fins released Matt Roth....any thoughts on this guy?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck to Jerry Gray.....

And the plan is set in motion....

Gray will beast out in Memphis and come back as the Skins Head Coach.

After all, Minority Redskins Owner Fred Smith did get him the job so he can coach his QB son.

Thoughts?

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 25, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

You know its funny 001, I thought of Fassel last night while considering all things Redskins.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 25, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Fins released Matt Roth....any thoughts on this guy?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 12:24 PM

Well, if Parcells couldn't trade him to Vinny for a pick, then you can be sure it's only because we're not interested in him.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Fins released Matt Roth....any thoughts on this guy?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 12:24 PM

Where is Redcoat when we need him?

Interesting article on Roth's release in the Miami Herald:

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Fins released Matt Roth....any thoughts on this guy?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 |

greg read that this cat will not make it to FA but will be claimed off waivers.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 25, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

league source, how do you game plan for rock? You tell your guys he's a weakness and you knock the s out of him, or you take your chances that he won't burn you.

What do you think coaches do?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 25, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

...and that he is better suited to a 3-4...

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 25, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"Wow! - an EvolDead/ArmyOfDarkness/BriscoCountyJunior reference.

Spot on good fellow!

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 25, 2009 11:41 AM"

Don't forget Bruce Campbell's work in Burn Notice...best action/comedy/drama on TV [USA Network]

Posted by: ThinkingMan | November 25, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

apropos of nothing, i was just looking for jeff tedford-to-skins rumors, and saw this:

pretty funny. and sad. and, well, right!

Posted by: beatkal | November 25, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

curz, he was picked in the top 50 in the 2005 draft, I'm thinking he can help with the DE rotation....dump wynn and add this guy.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

don't forget jeremy bridges in our what the line couldve been segment.

And LS your right rock is unstoppable we've been saving him for years so now is the time to unleash him, 6 straight to snare the 2nd wild card spot, yay

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 25, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

and that he is better suited to a 3-4...

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 25, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

He's 278 lbs. I think he is suited as a stong side defensvie end in a 4-3. We don't need him but if he comes cheap why the heck not? You might be able to flip him for a pick when someone's prize DE gets injured next year.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

no argument from me greg, if he clears waivers not sure we could afford him. part of his problem w/Miami was $$.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 25, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think Charlie Weis would get a good fit as offensive coordinator here?

Knowing The Daniel Snyder, the assistants are always the first to get hired.

Posted by: Meepo | November 25, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

yeah we should mos def pick up a DE that Miami released that always works

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 25, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

pab, at a cost of none draft picks, what could be the harm?? and with Daniels and Wynn most likely being done after this year, I can see the logic of not picking up a younger high draft pick for nothing....makes perfect sense....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Knowing The Daniel Snyder, the assistants are always the first to get hired.

Posted by: Meepo | November 25, 2009 1:02 PM

We have no idea which way Daniel Snyder is going to swing this year. None. The guy has been as random as the lottery except for two things: loyalty to Vinny, and lust for over-hyped and over priced free agents.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 25, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Bean,

You probably couldn't click through to the Miami Herald article, but one of the things they said was

"The move makes some sense when considering the past two years of decision-making: The Dolphins, under the current regime, have been an organization that doesn't delay the inevitable when it is financially sound to act.

Roth, for instance, is scheduled to become a free agent after this season. If the Dolphins did not expect to sign him to a new contract -- and they also were not getting an adequate performance from him -- the team would rather begin developing and evaluating players who have potential to fit into a long-term plan."

This is sort of the opposite of what we're seeing here in Washington with the team holding roster spots open for injured veterans when they ought to be taking a look at every guy on every practice team in the league. So Roth would make sense for the Redskins in place of Wynn -- IF Roth wants to play DE in a 4-3.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

congratulations Jerry Gray, maybe you can take Carlos with you to be your DB coach?

Posted by: coparker5 | November 25, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Jerry!

"Not participating in Redskins practice were Albert Haynesworth.."

Looks like his fat is still hurting him this week....go figure.

- Ray