Report: Kyle Shanahan to join his dad

Kyle Shanahan, the Houston Texans' offensive coordinator whose season ended Sunday, will join his father, who reached agreement with the Redskins Tuesday night, in Washington, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.

The move of Kyle Shanahan to Washington, like that of his father, Mike, has been considered to be a done deal for weeks. In fact, Schefter tweeted: Another poor secret now public: Kyle Shanahan, the former Texans offensive coordinator, is the Redskins new offensive coordinator.

Leaving the Texans is not expected to be a problem for Shanahan; Houston head Coach Gary Kubiak worked for Mike Shanahan in Denver for years.

"It's going to be very hard to leave because of everything we've accomplished," Shanahan said told the Houston Chronicle recently. "I work with a lot of good people, but I've always wanted to work with my dad. If he comes back, I think the timing will be right.

"When he got fired by Denver last year, I told him when he came back I wanted to work with him, no matter where."

Kyle Shanahan, 30, joined the Texans in 2006 after two years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

By Cindy Boren  |  January 5, 2010; 10:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins hand over control to Shanahan
Next: Redskins players praise hiring of Shanahan

Comments

FIRST to say, Go Nepotism!

Posted by: swowra | January 5, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

WOW...

A family affair...

Just WIN baby...

Posted by: WRBD | January 5, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

this is just right back to where we started.. hire a GM then the GM will be working for the coach...

when will they ever learn that Bill Parcells is the ONLY guy who can do both jobs and be successful????

Posted by: joek443 | January 5, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

call me a sucker but i think this was a very disciplined process. never have i seen this org be so disciplined.

congrats RI looks like our team has finally turned the corner and we are gonna matter once more!

Posted by: dealer1

Posted by: dealer1 | January 5, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

10-4 Diesel.

Portis and soup are just CYAing to get paid....

Posted by: Realness1 | January 5, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

happy beeps

Posted by: RomoLongballs | January 5, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Don't buy it yet...

I mean how many games has Shanaman won in the Burgundy and Gold ...

Posted by: WRBD | January 5, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I really want to be excited about this, but it's hard. To steal a line from the Boss, rooting for this team under Snyder "you end up like a dog that's been beat too much."

I'm not gonna go all negative, though--I'm really hoping for the best. Guess I'll just have to stay medium.

Posted by: closer44 | January 5, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Disagree with Soup CYA. I think he held his tongue about a lot of crap all year long, and would have gone ahead and kept on holding it... its how he was raised down in Mississippi.

When CP unloaded on him on JT show, i think Soup had finally had enough and let it all come out with both barrels.

Good for him. Another chorus:

JA SON CAMP BELL!!
JA SON CAMP BELL!!
JA SON CAMP BELL!!

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 5, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Good for him. Another chorus:

JA SON CAMP BELL!!
JA SON CAMP BELL!!
JA SON CAMP BELL!!

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 5, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind, the Skins always win the offseason superbowls...

Posted by: wizard5 | January 5, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Until I didn't really think Jason had a backbone. Good to know he actually has one. It might be too late but he gets props from me for finally taking a stance...so easy for me to say though. I think getting Kyle as the O coordinator is great. Go Skins!!!

Posted by: bb-squared | January 5, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

No man crush on JC, but I like what he did today. It is about time everyone stopped pussy footing around CP the golden boy and called a spade a spade.

Whether CP is used up physically or not or whether he costs us the biggest cap hit in history, neither matter any longer. The first move Shanny should make is cutting CP and send a clear message that things will be different.

I gained a lot of respect for JC today, reminds me a bit of when Eli stood up for himself to Tiki a couple of years ago.

Posted by: Hail_Victory | January 5, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Folks,

Not to storm on everyone's picnic, but Kubiak calls most of the plays for the Texans. Great offense, sure, but so was Zorn's in Seattle as QB Coach. A 30 year OC? The guy did play college ball at UT...but good luck implementing a zone blocking scheme with a washed up running back and offensive line that would finish 5th in the SEC or Big Ten.

Posted by: duh2mag | January 5, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail_Victory | January 5, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Or when Elin stood up to Tiger?

Posted by: duh2mag | January 6, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail_Victory | January 5, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Or when Elin stood up to Tiger?

Posted by: duh2mag | January 6, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Shanny's son will be OC but shanny will call the plays for the most part, just like his situation with Kubiak in Denver. Don't worry, the offense will work.

Posted by: boot1 | January 6, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Way to go JC17!!! Standing up to that

over-the-hill, me-first prima donna is

commendable. Good luck next year. I hope

it's with the Redskins using a good

Offensive Line so you can fully take

charge.

The very first thing the new HC needs to do

is fine Portis, a healthy amount, for

conduct unbecoming of a

Redskin team mate, and then immediately

after that, Portis needs to be FIRED!!!!

Posted by: DeployedFan | January 6, 2010 4:41 AM | Report abuse

Way to go JC17!!! Standing up to that

over-the-hill, me-first prima donna is

commendable. Good luck next year. I hope

it's with the Redskins using a good

Offensive Line so you can fully take

charge.

The very first thing the new HC needs to do

is fine Portis, a healthy amount, for

conduct unbecoming of a

Redskin team mate, and then immediately

after that, Portis needs to be FIRED!!!!

Posted by: DeployedFan | January 6, 2010 4:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail_Victory
====================================

I was thinking the same thing. Tiki left and Eli took the Giants to the super bowl. I would settle for a winning season, and then a wildcard, and then a division championship, and then an NFC Championship, and then a Super Bowl, and then watch Shanahan hand the team over to Shanny Jr.

but i'm not getting ahead of myself or anything... LOL

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | January 6, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Shanny has 3 rings, one with SF as OC when Steve Young was QB. And without SF winning that one Dallas might have won another.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 6, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I am not an apologist for JC. I think his NFL talent is questionable:

1) Slow decision making.

2) Slow delivery, not fooling anyone on defense.

3) Lack of awareness: The sacks he took this season had a lot to do with the OL, but he didn't do himself any favors.

What I like about JC:

1) Doesn't throw many INTs, although he doesn't throw a lot of TDs, either.

2) Toughness: No happy feet like Ramsey in the pocket.

Who says you have to be a screaming ***hole to be an effective leader?

Posted by: jboogie1 | January 6, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Why is Jason Reid always quoting other "sources" in his pieces? And why is this section called the "Redskins Insider" if all Mr. Reid does is to quote other sources? The WAPO is based right here in the nation's capital. Is it so hard to get some "inside" scoop without going to outsiders?

Posted by: muktech | January 6, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

No doubt dozens of candidates were screened before Shanny realized that his son was the best man for the job. Sherm Lewis quietly returns to the bingo parlor. That's a good point about JR, the Redskins "Insider". The leg work for this article seems to have been a Google search for Shanahan Kyle Mike

Posted by: randysbailin | January 6, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse