Posted at 1:23 PM ET, 12/ 2/2010

Report: Redskins tight ends coach Jon Embree offered head coaching job at Colorado

By Jason Reid

Redskins first-year tight ends coach Jon Embree reportedly has been offered the head coaching position at the University of Colorado.

[UPDATE, 10:43 p.m.: Embree has not yet finalized a contract with Colorado.]

Former legendary Colorado coach Bill McCartney, also a candidate for the position, told the Denver Post that Embree has been given a formal offer. If Embree accepts, he is expected to hire former Colorado star running back Eric Bieniemy as offensive coordinator.

On Monday, Embree said he was not sure where he stood in the process. "I really don't know where they are right now, but I hope to know something later in the week," Embree said. "We had a good conversation, and I think that could be a great job and a great opportunity, but I have a great job now. Hopefully, I'll know more about it soon."

The Redskins are currently on the field practicing at Redskins Park. A person familiar with the situation said he believed Embree was not aware of the potential of an offer from Colorado until shortly before practice began.

Embree, who was out of football last season, was a former standout tight end for Colorado. He spent 10 seasons on the Buffalos' coaching staff, beginning in 1991. Embree held many positions on the staff, including working with tight ends.

He also spent three seasons working with tight ends and wide receivers at UCLA, serving as an assistant head coach. He was the tight ends coach with the Kansas City Chiefs from 2006-08.

By Jason Reid  | December 2, 2010; 1:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton Portis on this week's surgery: 'It was a minor tuneup'
Next: Ma'ake Kemoeatu wins courage award

Comments

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

wg, I'm not as optimistic...i think they're gonna run and run, and run, and run some more...I don't have any faith that Kyle/Mike will put together a game plan to counter the pass rush...I've not seen many adjustments that give me hope...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2010 12:38 PM

Isn't that the truth!!

I expected the Shanahans to be very adept at making adjustments ... I'm really shocked at how badly they've done in this area (and I commented on it in ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES yesterday)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I hope he gets here soon, I want my afternoon fry-snack. I wonder how many DIVE ASS posts from us it'll take for him to disregard the ITA and talk to us? Let's start the over under at 5, I'll say over......

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 1:17 PM

Talk to us? Too good for all that. He'll talk about us behind our back right in front of us.

Hmmmmm what's the word for that...oh yeah...NERD.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Look at all this irregardlessness going on! This is irrediculous!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 1:05 PM

Perfect sarcasm, love it!

Posted by: abxinc | December 2, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

See beep, someone likes my schtick!!! I guess that makes you Tweedledumb Play, sorry.

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Here's a unique perspective for you:

You can't make adjustments without the proper tools.

We have very limited talent on Offense, so expecting anything in the way of these adjustments you speak of is wishful thinking.

We need another off season or 2 to give this staff the proer arsenal to adjust.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck to him.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 2, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

John has done a decent job w/ the TEs. I'vve been impressed with how far Cooley's and Davis' blocking have improved through the season. Now Shanny, let's raid the Pats for their TE coach.

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"You can't make adjustments without the proper tools."

He said "tool."

Heh-heh, a-heh, heh-heh....

;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 2, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

wg, are you being serious?? they have a terrible offensive line, and you think they just should do nothing but what they've been doing, let McNabb get plastered ala how Spurrier did with Ramsey, and thats just how it is???

I'm not even...I don't...gah.....I think I just burst a blood vessel behind my eye after reading that....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"You can't make adjustments without the proper tools."

He said "tool."

Heh-heh, a-heh, heh-heh....

;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 2, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Embree held many positions on the staff, including working with tight ends.

I used to love with tight ends.

But then, I found out the longer you stay with them, the more they become saggy bottoms.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

No Greg, sorry I was unclear, don't bust a vessel!

I definitely do not think they should keep doing what they have been, and I don't think they are.

The RB injuries and poor interior line talent/shallow WR corps has left them very few options was my point.

I think the reliance on the short passes to KW and deep shots to AA have been adjustments, albeit limited. And now it seems Banks may be taking on more of a role.

McNabb has played much better the last few weeks, so I think the staff is doing what it feels it can.

But rest assured I am not a fan of the status quo....I'm just trying to be realistic in light of our overall talent.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

....and WIDE receivers!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I guess that makes you Tweedledumb Play, sorry.

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 1:41 PM

Fair enough...that was some good schtick.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping Monty at center/ Heyer at right guard.

As much Banks as possible couldn't hurt.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 2, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Today's Best Headline

Iowa Inmates May Make Toilet Paper to Save Money

inmate 1: Making toilet paper is a sh!tty job.

inmate 2: Yeah.

But so was tossin' salads.

At least with this, you're not pickin' hair and corn out of your mouth.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

That was gross Moe haha

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Donnie Warren and Doc Walker could fill the coaching void

Posted by: hammer4 | December 2, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmmm what's the word for that...oh yeah...NERD.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Sure, you could call him a NERD, but to me he's a NARCISSISTIC ASS!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Today's best headline....

Lebron flew South while his momma rode West.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Donnie Warren and Doc Walker could fill the coaching void

Posted by: hammer4 | December 2, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Why not Clint Didier or Ron Middleton?

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Sure, you could call him a NERD, but to me he's a NARCISSISTIC ASS!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 2:12 PM

Right...but what would this joint be like without him? Oh yeah...wonderful!

Dive Ass Kouragous Kemo Beeps

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

ESPN-
Donovan McNabb owns an 11-7 career record against the Giants.
New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin doesn't care that Donovan McNabb has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns this season. He's seen McNabb's act way too many times over the years to think his Giants might catch a break Sunday in the Meadowlands.

McNabb has an 11-7 overall record against the Giants, and he's riding a four-game winning streak dating back to Nov. 2008. Coughlin and his players were just as shocked as everyone else when McNabb was traded from the Eagles to another NFC East rival, the Washington Redskins, this past offseason. And it doesn't sound like Coughlin has recovered. Asked to describe his reaction to the Easter Sunday news, Coughlin deadpanned, "My thoughts can't be expressed at this time."

McNabb has always had a certain comfort level against Coughlin's Giants. And he hasn't been afraid to rub it in a bit, as evidenced by his impromptu phone call on the Giants sideline in January of 2009. A picture of McNabb making that mock call was hanging in the Giants' locker room last season, but he beat them twice anyway.

In 18 regular-season games against the Giants, McNabb has thrown for 25 touchdowns and six interceptions. Over the past four games, he's completed 63 percent of his passes for 923 yards, seven touchdowns and three interceptions. Of course, he was throwing to DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin in those games instead of Santana Moss and Anthony Armstrong. On Wednesday, he was asked to explain why he's had so much success against the Giants.

Posted by: abxinc | December 2, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"It's just a comfort level in the team that you're with and the things that you're able to do," McNabb told reporters. "Guys around me made plays and when you're playing against a team twice a year, you have a feel with them, like what they're going to do, their defense's fronts and blitzes, and the answers to some of their questions.

"That's something that is obviously a lot different being with a different ball club, but when you play against a team for 11 years, you build a good relationship with them as far as what they're doing and the defensive coordinators. It's going to be a battle, and it's going to be a lot of fun."

Giants kept a photo in their locker room last season of McNabb making that mock phone call, but the Eagles swept New York.
It should also be noted that the Giants have owned the Redskins, winning seven of the past eight matchups. Most of the games haven't been that competitive, but something tells me Coughlin won't dwell on that message this week. The Giants were riding high last month at 6-2 when they hosted a downtrodden Cowboys team that was 1-7 at the time and playing its first game under interim coach Jason Garrett. The Cowboys won that game, and the Giants lost the next week in Philadelphia.

A team can recover from a two-game slide in November, but it can't happen in December. It doesn't matter that Washington's only 5-6. This is the most important game of the season for the Giants. If they win Sunday, I like their chances in Minneapolis the next week. They could have a three-game winning streak heading into a Dec. 19 rematch against the Eagles at New Meadowlands Stadium.

The Eagles get to finish the season with home games against the Vikings and Cowboys, while the Giants will have to travel to Green Bay and Washington. With the way things are going in the NFC North and NFC South, there's a decent chance an NFC East team could miss the playoffs with a 10-6 record. And that's one more reason why Coughlin is reminding his players of McNabb's past greatness.

"He's still Donovan McNabb and he has a very, very strong arm, he will pull it down and run," Coughlin said. "I don't think there's any difference in terms of how you prepare for Donovan, having to make sure that you try to force him to step up in the pocket and you try to put as much pressure as you can right away."

The Giants may have saved their season with a late drive against the Jacksonville Jaguars. But a loss at home to the Redskins on Sunday could cancel out everything they gained in that win. If the Giants can beat Washington this week, there's a great chance that wide receiver Steve Smith will return against the Vikings. And Hakeem Nicks shouldn't be too far behind.

I think both the Giants and Eagles will be 9-4 heading into their game Dec. 19, and then we'll call that the most important game of the season.

Posted by: abxinc | December 2, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

first stump mitchell and now embree as position coaches making the jump to college head coach... houston nutt is also a candidate for the colorado job...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 2, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

There's a blast from the past: Eric "Sleeping With" Bieniemy

Posted by: JoelV | December 2, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Why not Clint Didier or Ron Middleton?

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 2:14 PM

My vote goes to Doc Walker.

Posted by: wireman65 | December 2, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse