Posted at 7:45 PM ET, 12/19/2010

Count Rex Grossman's teammates as impressed

By Barry Svrluga

Quarterback Rex Grossman started for the first time in more than two years on Sunday and turned in his best performance since 2006. He was 25 of 42 passing for 322 yards and a passer rating of 93.4 against the Cowboys. (He also had two interceptions, a fumble and took five sacks.)

It probably isn't as good as Donovan McNabb's Week 2 game against Houston, but it exceeded the expectations of many.

Here's a sampling of the reviews Grossman received Sunday from his teammates in the locker room.

Center Casey Rabach: "I think he did a good job managing the game. I think he did a good job in the second half with just hitting the guy and letting those guys make plays. ...He's real upbeat. On the sidelines, he's bouncing around all the time, talking to guys. The guy has got tons of energy. I never saw him get down on himself at all."

Receiver Santana Moss: "Rex knows this offense. Rex has played this offense. For a guy who know what he knows, of course it's going to look the way it looks. He came out and he seen things and he been here before when it comes to this offense. He has the weapons and he took advantage of it. I'm happy to be a guy that's out there with him."

Grossman: "I felt like I played as well as I could have, and I tried as hard as I could have. It's up to you guys [in the media] to decide all those things. I can never be fully happy without a victory. I'm glad we got a chance to move the ball and put up some points."

Coach Mike Shanahan: "I thought Rex did an excellent job today. I wanted to give him an opportunity, and I thought he took advantage of that opportunity. It's always tough when you don't play for a while, especially with the type of week we had in practice. The conditions were a little tough, but he did a good job. He came back in the second [half], demonstated a lot of poise and played well.

Tight end Chris Cooley: "Rex played an outstanding football game today. I was really pleased with the way he controlled this offense, his ability to get the plays, get out of the huddle, get us to the line, keep them off-balanced. We had great tempo today. We went up to the ball, they're moving around and we're snapping the ball. I thought he made a lot of good decisions. ...Rex is so fast getting in and out of the huddle. He is so intense. There is nothing laid back. He has a quick tempo and he gets us to the ball as fast as he can get us to the ball."

By Barry Svrluga  | December 19, 2010; 7:45 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chris Cooley reappears against Dallas
Next: Landry's injury will keep him off Pro Bowl roster

Comments

Weird that it's 7:36 and the posted stamp says 7:45.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 19, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

now that Rex is anointed, we should trade down and get 3 tight ends in the second round.

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | December 19, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I would say his over-all play exceeded my expectations, but unfortunately, the turnovers did not. This is almost always the bitter-sweet story of Rex Grossman.

I'd also like to see what Beck can do. He made great strides from his first pre-season game and the fourth game. He looked quick and accurate.

Let's take a little inventory here.

Posted by: edvar | December 19, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Grossman impresses teammates "I didn't know you could throw INT's like that," said one offensive lineman. A member of the Redskins coaching staff said, "You just can't teach giving the ball away that Rex does. He's got a gift."

Posted by: 44fx2901 | December 19, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Grossman impresses teammates "I didn't know you could throw INT's like that," said one offensive lineman. A member of the Redskins coaching staff said, "You just can't teach giving the ball away the way that Rex does. He's got a gift."

Posted by: 44fx2901 | December 19, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Santana please. Your every game drop cost one QB already. Again, Rex has average .80 turnovers (almost 1 a quarter) this season. That prorates to 3.2 per game and 51 a season. He is not a rookie. Look at his career stats. That what he does.

Posted by: edavis291 | December 19, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 44fx2901 | December 19, 2010 7:47 PM |

What an idiot.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edavis291 | December 19, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

So by that logic he would have 64 TDs (16 x 4). Pretty silly edavis..

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 19, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

SO GLAD THAT MCCHOKE FINALLY GOT BENCHED! I think we would have won at least 3 to 5 more game had mcnabb not been throwing at the wideouts feet half the game and missing the open man throwing into double coverage getting picked off half the time! grossman isn't the greatest but we might have won more games with him! I would have liked to see rex earlier in the season! It kinda seemed like the team changed after the loss to indy!

Posted by: warriorking111285 | December 19, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Rex was impressive in his first start since 2008. He has a lot of haters out there...but I like his attitude. He obviously knows this offense. However before I anoint him as the future QB, I would like to see him play the remainder of the season consistently with stats like today (except the INTs and fumble). Overall, the offense did very well, but our defense is giving up way to many yards and big plays. The 3-4 isn't working. Mike Shanahan should try going back to the 4-3 for the last two games. It's hard to imagine that our defense could be any worse than what we have seen in the last 14 weeks. But I will give our defense credit on goal line stands...outstanding!

Posted by: skinsfan757 | December 19, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: warriorking111285 | December 19, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

All things considered -- the past week and everything else -- Rex Grossman rates a 10 for his performance in the Dallas game.

Posted by: NCFan | December 19, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NCFan | December 19, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NCFan | December 19, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

All things considered -- the past week included -- Rex Grossman rates a 10 for his performance in the Dallas game.

Posted by: NCFan | December 19, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

NOBODY is saying the Grossman is the future.

The future isn't the issue...you have to hope the Shanahans aren't too intoxicated by the present.

Yeah, so Rex Grossman played 'better' (a subjective assessment considering the blundering turnovers he committed).

Rex Grossman's game today was just good enough to justify his holding the spot warm for an additional season while the Top 10 quarterback we select in April learns the offense.

The fear, though, is that someone named Shanahan might decide Rex's play is good enough to build an offense around.

That's my fear: they might think they have something in Rex when all know they don't.

And never will.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

It was good to see K Barnes playing Safety.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

The way Rex played today (which also totally exceeded my expectations as well)just showed that McNabb has jumped the shark. Do I want Grossman as the franchise QB....NO...but he could be serviceable next year while TBD draft pick holds the clip board.

I don't think we can win with a Florida QB (see Danny Awful and Shane Matthews)

HTTR

Posted by: redlotparty | December 19, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

The hope for this poster Moe is that Mike tells Kyle, pick your QB from this years draft in order to compel Kyle to think of Rex as nothing more than the stop gap he is.

This would not even be an issue if the HC did not hire his son to be OC.

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 19, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we can win with a Florida QB (see Danny Awful and Shane Matthews)

HTTR

Posted by: redlotparty | December 19, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

And never will.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

It was good to see K Barnes playing Safety.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2010 8:26 PM

Co-sign

Posted by: edvar | December 19, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

The way Rex played today (which also totally exceeded my expectations as well minus the TOs)just showed that McNabb has jumped the shark. Do I want Grossman as the franchise QB....NO...but he could be serviceable next year while TBD draft pick holds the clip board.

I don't think we can win with a Florida QB (see Danny Awful and Shane Matthews)

HTTR

Posted by: redlotparty | December 19, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

So I guess if Rex was starting we'd be winning the division? Lol, backup QB syndrome ya gotta love it

Posted by: smooth700 | December 19, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

redlotparty your table is ready.

Will there be more than 3 of you?

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 19, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

what no 'garbage time'/ prevent defense claims?
if this was JC he would get no attaboy's & would be blamed for throwing an INT.

Rex played well in the second half and the offense looked sharp. Looks like they finally adjusted to what the defense was giving them. 8 in the box, throw a screen, slant passes to Moss and Cooley looked great in the 4th.
I still believe you play to win, not evaluate. Who knows if McNabb could've done better but Rex played ok.

Posted by: priceisright | December 19, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Alright boys, is it me or does the last statements from Cooley raise some eyebrows. When I read that, I immediately thought about the Philly super bowl, and a couple of the games earlier in the season.

Posted by: clark202 | December 19, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Tebow did okay today for his 1st game wonder if he can end up producing more as a qb! Cam newton's future could be for told by how well Tebow does!! Newton sat behind Tebow and is pretty much a little less talented as Tebow as he was a 4year rockstar for the gators in the spread offense and newton has been a star in COLLEGE FOOTBALL's SPREAD! I THINK TEBOW WILL HAVE BE A MUCH BETTER PRO QB THAN NEWTON WILL EVER BE!

Posted by: warriorking111285 | December 19, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I always pay more attention to a post when ALL CAPS ARE USED.

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 19, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

damn palms webos never lets be see what I'm typing except for the 1st lines!

Posted by: warriorking111285 | December 19, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Uh, 2 picks and a fumble. That is what the Skins call progress? Losers.

Posted by: observer23 | December 19, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

you gotta love the caps lol makes you feel like your drunk screaming lol and annoys ppl!

Posted by: warriorking111285 | December 19, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the multiple posts....operator error.

Posted by: redlotparty | December 19, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Me too kerzon. I scan and scan and then when I see that someone has gone to the trouble of holding down that caps lock key, I scroll back and give it a good read.
It's weird that all the posters up in arms about the benching of #5 are no where to be found this evening.

Posted by: mack1 | December 19, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

So what's the deal with Fred Davis. He's nonexistent in KS's offense. Is he such a poor route runner that they can't get him in pass routes? Is his blocking too suspect to have him get more time on the field? His role is one that has been baffling all season long.

Can anyone speak om Blaine Gabbert (qb) (Mizz). He's starting to get hype as potentially the second best qb in the draft if he comes out. I haven't seen him play much.

Posted by: TWISI | December 19, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

So by that logic he would have 64 TDs (16 x 4). Pretty silly edavis..

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 19, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse
___________________________________________
Even if he did, could you WIN with those stats? McNabb had games with stats. I want wins. I don't mind seeing what you got, but we got draft choices who we need to evaluate. OL is pitiful, evaluate some back ups.

Posted by: edavis291 | December 19, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...Cooley is taking shots at McNabb's lack of intensity and taking too much time. I do think Shannahan is a dictator but McNabb was a mistake and Shanahan realizes it and is moving on. I don't like the costly mistake but I do like the fact that the team wants hungry players on the field. Of course, if we keep giving up draft picks for over the hill players we will never dig out of the deep black hole we are in. Hopefully ShanAllen and the Danny will stop giving up picks but I predict we will give up future picks to move up in the draft this year to get a QB.

Posted by: redlotparty | December 19, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

TWISI, I saw Gabbert play once this season in person. He's 6-5 or 6-6, decent mobility but no blazing speed. Good manager, good vision, seemed pretty accurate to me. He operates the same offense as Chase Daniel, a spread. Looked good to me against Oklahoma, but again only seen him once. And I was pretty hammered. I have family in Mizzou and they really hope he stays.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 19, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Well, Grossman impressed me with his throws though he delivered the turnovers I expected him to make.

This offense looked so different with him - more misdirection - more energy - Grossman quick to get back and to throw - finding guys WIDE OPEN and few balls going to the turf. McNubb in comparison looked like he had concrete shoes on.

BTW - nice to see we can score 30 points. If this offense can now start to gel, there may be hope. One game does not make a career, but McNubb looks closer to the opened door every minute. If Grossman can continue to improve, McNubb can pack his things after the last game and never come b ack for all I care.

I agree with one of the others here - if Grossman can manage a game like this and improve his interception tendency, we can explore draft choices for an offensive line - when he had time, he was - deadly - with his throws. I was so surprised he actually could throw the ball - and has better touch than McNubb.

HTTR - We lost the the Cowpies but we made them sweat at the end. I hope that popped a couple of Jerry Jones' facial tucks.

Posted by: laserwizard | December 19, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

TWISI-

Gabbert is a nice prospect @ 6'5 230 but he would benefit by returning to school. If he enters he would be rated behind Luck, Newton, or Mallett. So that would put him in the Ponder, Devlin, Stanzi group (2nd-4th). His numbers are pedestrian this year but if he returned to school he could be in the top 10 range next year.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 19, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

laserwizard, Freaking JC and the Raiders score 39 on a better defense today. Is that all we are interested in is scoring 30 points? Many teams do that on the regular. Our team sucks, not one player.

Posted by: edavis291 | December 19, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I think it's time for all these stupid, fickle writers like Wilbon and Boswell to eat some serious crow and apologize to Kyle Shannahan! Well? You two look like stupid fools!!!

Posted by: egrib | December 19, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks RomoLongballs and Diesel44. WE'll find out soon enough if Gabbert comes out.

Posted by: TWISI | December 19, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: laserwizard | December 19, 2010 9:19 PM

This is wrong thinking. Skins need to draft a QB THIS year. Thinking Rex is serviceable for more than one year is crazy talk. Yes he looked good today, but he does not make the best decisions and cannot be thought of as any type of answer.

Because of the miss on DM5, 1st pick must be used on QB or OLB/DL and QB in second.

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 19, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

This game proves that McNabb wasn't that good?

Or this game proves that an NFL QB can have a good game in garbage time against a 4-9 team?

The Skins also put up a lot of points in that Philly blowout. The best time to judge a QB is on a good team, against a good team, and sadly some QBs don't get that chance.

Posted by: Kboainim | December 19, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edavis291 | December 19, 2010 9:28 PM

Breathe...

The Broncos have a worse D than the Cowboys and give up 4 more PTs per game than we do.

If the Skins could score 30 PTs per game they would be prolific and to say we don't have a single player on it is bat shat crazy.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 19, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if Danny boy is still mad at his Coach for benching DM5?

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 19, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if Danny boy is still mad at his Coach for benching DM5?

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 19, 2010 9:53 PM

Remember that Seinfeld episode when George did that the opposite of what he would normally do?

It's clear that you ask Snyder..What would you do, and then do the exact opposite.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 19, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

3. Mike Shanahan is not validated by Grossman’s day. Listen, Shanahan will be measured by the record. And the Redskins are 5-9 staring at another double-digit loss season. Do you really want a moral victory against a team now with five wins? Shanahan put together both sides of the ball, not just offense. Shanahan’s decision to “evaluate” Grossman certainly led to a good offensive showing. It didn’t lead to a win. I understand why he made the move and I get that McNabb wasn’t playing well; it would have been even worse had he made the switch while they were in playoff contention. I’m stunned it reached this point. And it was his decision to trade two picks for a quarterback whom they thought they could change. As well as Grossman played, the quarterback of the future likely isn’t on the roster. So what did today prove and what does it mean? Today just proves that Grossman could be effective, and then some, in a pinch. And that the offense does work (though they have to show that for a period of weeks to really prove that). But I think we already knew the offense worked; it’s just that it hasn’t worked consistently with the talent they have.

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 19, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Kerzon is spot on.

Rex will make a decent transitional QB until the guy we draft THIS year is ready.

Hopefully we can move Skippy McShorthop for a pick to supplement our O-line but we have to take a QB in round 1 or 2 this year.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 19, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

there are at least six teams that could draft a QB (Carolina, Denver, Arizona, Buffalo, Clev, San Fran) these teams are ranked below us. I wonder if this is going to be a good year to draft a QB. We need LBs, RB, WR, RG, C, CB, S. trading away drafts to get a QB may not be a good/smart idea.

Posted by: Skins2 | December 19, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Kboainim. Rex looked good mostly AFTER the Cowboys had a 27-7 lead which should have been something more like a 41-7 lead had the Cowboys red zone offense not been so inept. The Cowboys D took a lot of the game off. Go back and watch video of Rex when a defense (any defense) applies pressure to him consistently. He is a turnover MACHINE.

Posted by: eagle97 | December 19, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I agree this game didn't prove that McNabb is no longer good...the 13 games before this one proved it.

Shanahan's record is what we should look at???? Really? At best we were hoping for 8-8 yes we won't achieve that high standard of mediocrity but that was at best. The bad decisions of the past were not going to be overcome in 1 season. The Torains, Armstrongs and Banks have been nice surprises though. Let's continue with the youth movement.

Posted by: redlotparty | December 19, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Had to listen to the game on the radio today, I saw the highlights of the game.

How did Grossman and the offense actually look? Hard to picture it.

BTW Rex impressed me. Man these columnists are backpedaling today.

Yeah I know he had 2ints. 1 was in an obvious passing situation, but 4TDs. With 2 2-pt conversions.

Way to go Rex!

I'm not into moral victories, but that was a helluva game to listen to.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 19, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Well, well...all of you whiners on here about this McNabb thing...time to eat your words suckas!

This was the smartest thing Shanny's done all season...

This game actually had a rhythm to it and very few dumb errors like the ones I have found myself screaming at the TV about during EVERY SINGLE OTHER GAME THIS YEAR!!

Look, I understand some of you guys are seeing the mistakes now as the end of the world, but to me this thing is going to take longer than a season to fix...hell, you can't reverse 10+ years of a downward slide overnight...but, for sure, you must all admit that this team feels like it is getting better in some key tangibles like fight and attitude...and you can see the sparks of things to come...

Are we there yet? No way, but I like the way Shanny is methodically weeding out the players who won't get with the program...and he doesn't care what they are getting paid or how big a name they are...don't you guys long for the old Gibbs days where we won a lot of games with people nobody ever heard of and had players who just went out and played the game with all of their heart and guts?

Shanny is trying to get us back to that, but you guys on here have to give a chance...and let him make a few mistakes without freaking out...sheesh....you guys aren't perfect at your jobs either, so expecting it of anyone else is ridiculous...

Today, I was proud to be a Redskins fan and felt the team regained some of that swagger from old...coming back strong in the fourth quarter...it was awesome...even though we lost, I'm going to re-watch this game again right now...

Posted by: rot8tor_man | December 19, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

This will be one of the best drafts in a long time to draft a qb! The time is pretty much now to draft one so we can start to rebuild around the young star! Not al those teams will be selecting a qb, since we will most likly have a top 10 pick it makes more sense to trade up and get THE BEST ANDREW LUCK bc we would not have to give up as much to get him and he will pretty much be the very best fit for Kyle's offense out of all the other and he is the qb best suited to start as soon as possible so we can rebuild faster instead of having rex or mchoke tutor him for 2 years! It proly wil be alot easier to trade up to number 1 then we think! In shanny's press conference you could tell he regreted not trading up for Sam Bradford and making the mistake of trading for a over rated player in mcchoke! He wants a Young Sam Bradford and that pretty much says he will be targeting Andy Luck!! HTTR!!

Posted by: warriorking111285 | December 19, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Rex!
-----------------------
Don't forget the fumble. His turnovers led to points and ended the game. I didnt realize INTs in obvious passing situations don't count. But I'm happy everyones happy.

I think this shows Donovan wasn't maximizing the offense and that grossman is nothing better than a backup.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 19, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Grossman's 4 TD's and two 2ptr = 30 points

Grossman's 3 turnovers = 14 points

Posted by: filmchis | December 19, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Rex!
-----------------------

Posted by: AdamCr | December 19, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

you hate your life don't you?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 19, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

you hate your life don't you?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 19, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

No, why?
I said this showed where Donovan was falling short and where Rex continues to struggle. The offense has potential but our talent evaluators made a big splash last year for a guy that's now persona non grata, so excuse me if I'm skeptical of his ability to find "the guy" for next year. Our coaches still have a lot to prove.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 19, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Who knows if McNabb could've done better but Rex played ok.

Posted by: priceisright | December 19, 2010 8:41 PM |

Congratulations. With that statement, you are now considered the dumbest M Fer of all time. Have you seen any of the past 13 games?

Posted by: Painful_priapism | December 19, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

wonder if cp26 is on the roster in '11? I think he will end up with the pats as a 3rd down back! Either by trade or after he gets cut!

Posted by: warriorking111285 | December 19, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Man these columnists are backpedaling today.

Why?

Our backup Rex Grossman lost to their backup Jon Kitna.

It's not like Rex led the team to a commanding 2 touchdown victory.

He impressed some folks by his play against the defense of a 5-9 team.

The jags are a different challenge.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

BTW: Green Bay's Matt Flynn looked rather impressive tonight.

And he wasn't a top ten draft pick.

And niether was Tom Brady.

Just sayin'.....

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Man these columnists are backpedaling today.

Why?

Our backup Rex Grossman lost to their backup Jon Kitna.

It's not like Rex led the team to a commanding 2 touchdown victory.

He impressed some folks by his play against the defense of a 5-9 team.

The jags are a different challenge.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

11:28 pm, the time of death for my buzz. You just killed it Moe.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 19, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Why?

Our backup Rex Grossman lost to their backup Jon Kitna.

It's not like Rex led the team to a commanding 2 touchdown victory.

He impressed some folks by his play against the defense of a 5-9 team.

The jags are a different challenge.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2010 11:28 PM

Moe- He was impressive regardless of the opponent. 4TDs, 2 2 PT conversions, & 4-4 in the Red zone. People can discount what he did but he played better without the reps than McNabb has played all season. He's not the long term solution though...

What he proved today was that McNabb was a huge part of the problem, the O will be be vastly improved with the right personnel, and that with Grossman's knowledge and ability to run the offense, he will be a pretty good bridge to our QB of the future.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 19, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 19, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I had a sliver of sunshine today

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 19, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Grossman's 4 TD's and two 2ptr = 30 points

Grossman's 3 turnovers = 14 points

Posted by: filmchis | December 19, 2010 11:04 PM

That's right genius.

For every 30 points we score...they only have to score 17 of their own to win because WE ARE SPOTTING THEM 14 POINTS!

Perhaps now you can begin to understand how stupid your argument is...

Turn overs kill.

Posted by: edvar | December 19, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I had a sliver of sunshine today

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 19, 2010 11:45 PM

I'm sending rainbows and unicorns your way. The sky isn't falling, give it two years and all of these no nothings will be saying...I told you so...

Goodnight sunshine.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 19, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

That's right genius.

Perhaps now you can begin to understand how stupid your argument is...

Turn overs kill.

Posted by: edvar | December 19, 2010 11:48 PM

Did you watch the game?

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 19, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

What peeps need to understand is that MS is not just rebuilding this team, but changing a culture of losing and underachieving. The Redskins need to learn how to win and MS is going to show them how doing it his way.

From Sally Jenkins article:

But one issue is settled: Shanahan is in firm command of the organization, and knows his players better than anybody. There have been moments this week when you had to wonder about his judgment; he's not always the smoothest operator, or public speaker. His dealings with McNabb have been hedging, and when he waited until late in the week to make his decision to start Grossman public, it unsettled his team. "Having that quick change at the end of the week throws you off mentally," Anthony Armstrong said. It also led to some ugly back channel rumors that the locker room was upset and divided.

But the performance against the Cowboys put the writing clearly on the wall: Shanahan is going to blow up the roster until he gets the right players for his system in house. There's not a single player whose return is assured, now that Shanahan has shown himself willing to chuck the highest-profile star on the team. He's tearing up his own script and starting over. And he clearly doesn't care if the locker room is divided - half of them might not be back next year anyway.

"We're going to learn how to win," Shanahan said. "It's going to take some time."

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 20, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

What I've spotted that seems like a disturbing trend is when in crunch time late in the game, Lil Shanny keeps going away from the run despite not being forced to do so. They have to start learning to mix it up, not just commit to the pass late in games.

And I would like to see a QB actually hit Armstrong in stride down the field instead of always underthrowing him.

Another disturbing trend or lack of, is the defense has not improved one bit. You would think that (despite the injuries) the defense would start gelling a bit and start working better together as a unit.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 20, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Seriously though...If you bought a McNabb jersey than your're an ass hat.

More disrespect for Donovan

Posted by Mike Florio on December 19, 2010, 8:06 AM EST

As if Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb hasn’t had enough slaps in the face this week, what with the booing at the basketball game and the benching and the slide all the way to No. 3, McNabb has received another slap in the face.

The team’s official online store has slashed the prices on his jerseys by 50 percent.

The standard price for replica jerseys bearing the names and numbers of players like LaRon Landry — and even Malcolm Kelly — is $80. Donovan’s jersey can now be had for $39.95, the same price that has been applied to the jersey of Albert Haynesworth, who currently is serving a four-game suspension for conduct detrimental to the team.

Ditto for “authentic” jerseys, which carry a standard price of $289 but for McNabb the price is $149.95. And for youth jerseys, which have a standard price of $50 but for McNabb and Haynesworth it’s only $29.95.

Frankly, the price is likely still too high, given that both players seem destined to be former Redskins after the current season ends. But the move can be construed as even more proof that the Redskins and Donovan are heading for a divorce.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 20, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

People were saying Rex needed to throw for like 350 yards and 3TD's today, just to prove Shanny was right.

I did not watch the game, I listened to it. Those were not "garbage time" TD's. When you cut the lead to 30-22, then you are in scoring position again, with lots of time left. Well, that's not garbage time.

Does anyone really think that the Cowboys d-coordinators said, "hey guys it's all good, don't play defense they can only tie with plenty of time left,"?

I swear to a higher power, there are some morons that get on this blog.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

I would buy an Anthony Armstrong, Brandon Banks or Lorenzo Alexander jersey.

I heard Armstrong's name called a lot today.

I think we have a star in the making: 2nd in ypc to DeSean and Mike Wallace. Dude is making a name for himself.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 12:10 AM

Imagine what Armstrong could do if he had a decent QB throwing to him for a full season..And by decent I mean somebody that wasn't the 26th ranked passer in the league.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 20, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Late night LL beeps

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 20, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 20, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Hard to believe this was his first 100 yard game. It seems every week he hauls one in for about 40 yards.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Did you watch the game?

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 19, 2010 11:57 PM

Yeah, did you?

Posted by: edvar | December 20, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

I still don't understand why people are on mcnabbs junk he played awful this season and deserved to be benched! It's great to see what we got since we are outta the playoffs! I can see the Skins putting together a deal with the panthers to move up TO NUMBER 1 and DRAFT THE BEST QB IN THE DRAFT IN 15years ANDREW LUCK! He will be perfect for this wco kyle runs!!!! Cam newton is def not and will be on the bench for at least 3 years while Luck will be starting by week 5!! It's not even close between the 2 qbs!! Mcnabb to mentor clausen til he's ready _ our 1st rd pick_ fat al and something else! I think it should take much to move up 8 spots!! I think the panthers would then draft green and be a very good team next season compared to this year!! WE NEED TO TRADE UP TO DRAFT LUCK NOT SUM FUTURE BUST LIKE NEWTON AND BUILD AROUND LUCK!! Httr!! Posted by: warriorking111285 | December 19, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Think about this. You even said it yourself. "The best QB prospect in 15 years." What the hell are you going to offer thats going to convince a 2 win team to pass up the next great QB that will have their franchise set at the position for the next 15 years?

Of course all of this is assuming that Luck comes out but chances are he won't.

Posted by: Dirtbag359 | December 20, 2010 1:12 AM | Report abuse

McNabb had a QB rating of 77.1 -- which not only is dreadful, it is lower than Jason Campbell has this year or in either of the past two years. Grossman may be bad, but he had a 93.4 rating today. The loss wasn't on him. That last int was in a desperation situation brought about because the defense was so dreadful that 4 TD passes weren't enough!

Posted by: dolph924 | December 20, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

McNabb had a QB rating of 77.1 -- which not only is dreadful, it is lower than Jason Campbell has this year or in either of the past two years. Grossman may be bad, but he had a 93.4 rating today. The loss wasn't on him. That last int was in a desperation situation brought about because the defense was so godawful that 4 TD passes weren't enough!

Posted by: dolph924 | December 20, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dolph924 | December 20, 2010 1:26 AM |

Don't forget he gave them 14 pts... Which could have EASILY been 28.

This game could have gotten way farther out of hand faster than it did. Our D forced FGs, which at least kept it possible.

We suck. Grossman had a great game, no doubt. That's as good as it will ever get for him. Next QB.

I'm ready to evaluate Beck. I don't really need to see more of BlooperMan. I know his MO. A couple TDs, a couple serviceable games, and WHAMO, 5 picks and 2 fumbles.

He's been doing this a long time, folks. Nothing new to see here.

And I agree with many on here. Kyle doesn't like to run the ball. That's a flaw.

Posted by: Thinker_ | December 20, 2010 4:46 AM | Report abuse

I think I need help with the logic that some people are using here in order to derive a conclusion.

"Fact 1: Donovan McNabb struggled against the New York Giants (ranked 2nd in defense), the Minnesota Vikings (ranked 6th in defense), and the Philadelphia Eagles (ranked 13th in defense). He's a bum."

"Fact 2: Rex Grossman looked great - except for those two picks and the fumble - against the Dallas Cowboys (ranked 25th in defense). He's freakin' awesome and no one should ever again question the wisdom of the Shanahan Family."

"Q.E.D."

------

Uh, sorry, guys. I don't think that today's game was something to base a conclusion on. I'm glad Rex Grossman had a much better game than anyone expected. But, proof that the Shanahan Insanity was vindicated in some way. Not so much.

If you disagree, I have proof that the Redskins offense as a whole is now prolific. My proof: did you see those four touchdowns today?

Posted by: CommonSenseDude | December 20, 2010 6:28 AM | Report abuse

A ProFootballWeekly.com article today slams the Redskins and the Shanahans in particular:

What the Redskins need to do is seriously consider relieving Kyle Shanahan of his offensive-coordinator duties, according to a veteran personnel executive familiar with Shanahan from his time in Houston under Gary Kubiak, a former Broncos assistant under Shanahan.

"Kyle never should have been a coordinator," the personnel exec told PFW. "He should be a WR coach or QB coach. He was handed that (coordinator) job; he did not earn it. The players don't respect him (in Washington). Donovan does not respect that little punk — he has not done anything. He (Shanahan) played at Texas — he was an undrafted free-agent receiver who could not make it, and Daddy brought him up from there. Kubiak was the coordinator in Houston. He gave (Kyle) the title for his old man, but Kubiak was calling the plays.

Posted by: CommonSenseDude | December 20, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

4 touchdown passes, 4 drives of over 50 yards, no settling for field goals, QB rating of 92, 2 2 point conversions, nuff said. Reason we lost is because Deangelo ( I want to cover their best guy )Hall got toasted twice.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | December 20, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rmcpks73 | December 20, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dolph924
______
I agree. This was the best the offense looked since Todd Collins won the last 4 games in 2007. It was a loss but 4 TD's passes after long drives.. the defense didn't get one turnover to shorten the field. And the last pick was with 13 seconds left.. Rex had to force a pass he had no time to do anything else. Not saying Rex is the long term answer but yesterday proved getting McNabb was a mistake, he was never a good fit here. Skins need to draft a QB but i think Rex should stay as a backup, and maybe even start until the new guy is ready

Posted by: sovine08 | December 20, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Kareem Moore should not be a starting safety in the NFL. He misses runners, he misses tackles, He;s out of position and he's outplayed by all receivers and runners. Witten's stiff arm on Moore should have been the last straw for the Redskins coaches. If the Redskins had a replacement for Moore, much of the team's defensive struggles would go away. It is that bad. What the coaches see in Kareem Moore is beyond me. Anybody, I mean anybody off the practice squad, off the street, off semi pro ball, off of APFL, UFL would be better than Kareem Moore.

Posted by: getitritegov | December 20, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Funny thing all the hate on Rex but comparing his one game to all of McBadds he has 4 tds and 3 turnovers(its hard to count that one fumble where he was thrown into the game). Also if you really want to count that fumble it would be 4 tds to 4 to compared to McBadds 14 tds and 22 turnovers.

If we can some how get Luck without giving up our whole future it would be great for this team.

Posted by: Joker99z | December 20, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse