Grossman already comfortable with the system

While most members of the Redskins offense are going through the process of learning a new system and experiencing the growing pains that often go with the process, one player who has a head start is backup quarterback Rex Grossman.

One of the Redskins' first offseason moves was to pick up Grossman, who spent last season as a back-up in Houston under offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. And though veteran Donovan McNabb, acquired in a trade, is the unquestioned starter, Grossman provides some sturdy competition and a veteran presence as the understudy.

"We're getting as much competition as possible," Shanahan said. "We'll see how they do. That's why you have these camps, to evaluate them. Rex is a little bit ahead of most people being at the quarterback position because he's been with the system. He's familiar with the terminology."

Grossman praised the progress McNabb has shown, sympathizing with the process of moving from one offense to another.

"I know from going through several offenses in the league it's hard to forget an offense and you kind of try to revert back to what you're used to," said Grossman, who went to a Super Bowl with Chicago before moving to Houston last season. "He's done a great job. I haven't heard him say, 'Oh that's just old habit for me.' He hasn't said that at all and he seems to be picking it up great."

Grossman played in just one game last season, completing 3 of 9 passes for 33 yards with one interception while backing up Pro Bowl quarterback Matt Schaub. He said the offense is "mostly the same" as Houston's, but there are certainly differences.

The personnel are not the same. In Houston, the offense was able to lean on Pro Bowl wide receiver Andre Johnson - a luxury not available in D.C., where there are few proven options at wide receiver opposite Santana Moss.

Still, Grossman said Shanahan will be able to "feature what this team does well," pointing to the veteran running backs and the "extremely talented wide receivers." One similarity might be the use of tight ends, where both Fred Davis and Chris Cooley are pass receiving threats.

"There's a lot of two tight end sets in this offense, we're going to feature both tight ends," Grossman said. "They're both extremely good receivers and can catch the ball in a lot of different areas and I see them running most of the routes that all the wide receivers run so to have that luxury will spread out the offense a little bit."

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 22, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Rex Grossman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Austin getting a long look as WR, kick returner
Next: Trent Williams is getting up to speed

Comments

And then as Rex left the interview he banged his knee on the podium. He is expected to recover in 3-5 weeks.

Anyone else worry that we have a less durable backup QB then we do starter?

I like my no 2 QB to be able to take a beating.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 22, 2010 6:22 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else worry that we have a less durable backup QB then we do starter?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 22, 2010 6:22 AM

Nope. For two reasons:

1) If all goes to plan, he won't be on the field long enough to get hurt.

2) If the Vikings cut Sage Rosenfels (as expected), the first logical choice for him has to be the Redskins since he knows this system from his time in Houston. And on top of being more durable, Sage is also a clear upgrade over Grossman.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 6:31 AM | Report abuse

I heart two TE sets. The NFL has been trending toward a soft spot in the shallow to mid center field ... TE country. Lots of new opportunities for misdirection in the middle there ... also forces the secondary to avoid playing it safe and covering the deep ball (allowing for deep ball exploitation). I heart two TE sets. [Sounds like the two TEs and the RBs are going to be carrying this team for the first few/several weeks anyway.]

Posted by: dcsween | June 22, 2010 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Probably right sween...seems to me this offense is gonna look a lot like a run-oriented Gibbs offense. Well, sans the seemingly obligatory screen pass every 3rd play...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Having Rex as a back-up is fine with me since he knows the system and can run it with some success. Having Todd Collins was good because he knew Saunders system and did well when called upon. Ideally, that will be rare, but maybe once in a while.

Now that we beefed up the O-Line (finally!) I believe McNabb will have much better protection and stay on the field. Great move Shanahan!

I love having Cooley and Davis as options. Love to here that we're going to use them like WRs.

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | June 22, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | June 22, 2010 6:51 AM

Um, I wouldn't exactly call 3 for 9 and an INT "running it with some success", but yeah, he knows the system...

So does Sage. Get Sage.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Rosenfels QB rating in Houston == 82.1
Grossman QB rating in Houston == 5.6

Posted by: greenback | June 22, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Thanks greenback...kinda speaks for itself, doesn't it?

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Um, I wouldn't exactly call 3 for 9 and an INT "running it with some success",

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 7:06 AM

He also had a fumble, but you can't really blame that on "the system." Gross, man.

Posted by: greenback | June 22, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

The words "Grossman" and "fumbling" are as synonymous as "Haynesworth" and "eating". I just hope the only time we see him on the field is in the 2nd half of preseason games...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

"...Grossman provides some sturdy competition..."

Grossman is competing with McNabb? Ha. If that's true, the Eagles fleeced us worse than I thought.

When (not if) Grossman takes the field this year after McNabb limps off, you can turn the TV off. It's over. I think every Redskins fan would rather watch Colt Brennan play -- at least with him there's some hope he'll make a brilliant play (in addition to his boneheaded ones).

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | June 22, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

It's like it's a group of people that takes turns pissing in the kool-aid everyday.

If the season does unfold like many of the pessimists think it will then you'll have plenty of time to be in "I told you so" mode.

But for now, it's freakin' June. Lets try and exercise a little optimism before, I don't know.... Training camp starts.

Still a little ways until opening day, just sayin'.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 22, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

ds, I wouldn't go that far...Grossman was the starting QB on a SB team, after all. But he's a guy who will turn the ball over and our team isn't good enough to overcome those kinds of setbacks.

I think he decidedly mediocre, not Jamarcus Russell like you're making him sound.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

red, no kidding...I mean, there are more cats on here who almost sound like they WANT McNabb to get hurt, just to be able to pat themselves on the back.......cracks me up...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 22, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Exactly Red...like I said yesterday, it's one thing to feel hopeless coming into another year with the Zorn Disaster, but it's a completely different vibe with Allen in the FO and the Shanahan/McNabb tandem running the offense. Fans who can't get excited about that, just shouldn't be fans...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Pessimistic Redskins fans aren't real Redskins fans...they're annoying little whiny losers.

I am enjoying a large glass of delicious Kool-Aid this morning. It tastes great AND is less filling.

Posted by: Section104 | June 22, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

The word from OTAs earlier seemed like even Brennan was playing better than Grossman. Has there been a change in Grossman's play towards the better recently or is it his off the field grasp of the offense that's better than the other QBs?

Posted by: Keiser | June 22, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

What this article is missing is a solid commentary on Grossman's performance in OTA's. The things I have read suggest he has not been sharp.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 22, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Just read on the Redskins site that Rob Jackson is now a linebacker. When did that happen? Is it better to be cut from the linebacker position or defensive end position?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 22, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Keiser | June 22, 2010 8:11 AM

I think what we're seeing is that he KNOWS what he's doing, he just doesn't know how to do it WELL...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

You never know, RSH...Rob Jackson may end up playing well enough to keep a job.

I doubt he will, but he could.

The one thing about the 3-4 is that you never know who's going to pick it up and who won't. Guys like James Harrison and Tedy Bruschi sometimes came outta nowhere and ended up being nice players. If we can get even one guy who ends up being that player, out defense may be better than I expect it to be.

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Lorenzo Alexander being that guy.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Keiser | June 22, 2010 8:11 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 8:19 AM
-------------------------------------------
A guy that completely understands the offense but cannot physically execute the game plan? Sounds like a coach to me, not a player.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 22, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

26/bean,

Call me crazy, but I think things are heading in the right direction, and I haven't thought that in a long time.

The first thing that Shanahan and Allen did was upgrade the QB position -- something we all had concerns with. Then they upgraded the offensive line, again, something that was a big concern among many of us.

Not saying those changes give the 'skins an automatic super bowl berth or a double digit win season, but it does give them a chance to compete within their division and that's where it all starts.

It's been a good start with the new guys in charge.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 22, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Lorenzo Alexander being that guy.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 8:27 AM
------------------------------------------
I'd put my money right beside yours. I think Lorenzo has found a home.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 22, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

@ brownwood26

Hey brown, have a good day my man.

Posted by: hessone | June 22, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

26/bean,

It's been a good start with the new guys in charge.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 22, 2010 8:29 AM
------------------------------------------

If I had to pick one position where they might not be done, it is wide receiver. We've all talked about the number of free agents coming through the door, and excuse me for speculating, I think it means something. If a trade deal were to fall in their lap for a receiver - possibly for a guy like Carter - then I think they will pull the trigger.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 22, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Lo Alexander would have to change his number if he's going to be a LB, right?

I usually don't buy current player jerseys, but I might get his. Dude has done nothing but WORK and contribute since he's been here.

Lo ain't nothing but a football player. Probably could be the long snapper if he wanted to.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 22, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

red, EXACTLY. QB has been a problem for a long time with this team, dating back to 1999, they traded for a guy who can, and I believe WILL improve that position. For the first time since 2000 they used a high draft pick on an offensive line spot, and then STOLE Jamal Brown from the Saints.

But all some guys want to talk about is how they're so CONVINCED that McNabb is going to get hurt/on the downslope....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 22, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Exactly right Red...if one thing has been proven in recent years, it's that having great coaching and great QB play will put you squarely in contention. Regardless of the Redskins recent history, we now have the best coach and the best QB in the division. We haven't been able to say that in YEARS. I'll be completely stunned if we're not atop the division within the next 2 or 3 years.

We have the two cornerstones to build on...now it's just about adding the other key ingredients.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Back atcha hess...no hard feelings, dude.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 22, 2010 8:40 AM

I could get that if we were doing what Philly did and ask DMac to win games by himself. But this is going to be a run-dominant attack, moreso than any other WCO. Ask John Elway why he's got two big fat rings on his fingers and people suddenly think he's clutch...

Shanahan can do the same thing for Donovan. The parallels are stunning...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

RSH, I'm not sure which WRs a team would be willing to part with in a trade for Carter. Maybe some possibilities (along with a draft pick):

Lance Moore
Donnie Avery
Benard Berrian
Chris Chambers

I don't know just throwing names out there.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 22, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

@brownwood26

Absolutely, that's what forum is all about. Got to be able to express those feelings ya know.

Posted by: hessone | June 22, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

"Police: Woman Brawled With Boyfriend Over Last Beer"

(June 21) -- This brouhaha started over a cold brew.
A Florida woman spent two nights in jail for allegedly roughing up her boyfriend after he started drinking the last can of beer in their Land O'Lakes home.

I guess this is called 'reverse domestic battery'.

Perhaps her bud wasn't wise enough to leave her the last cold one.

Upon arrival, paramedics applied natural ice to the victim's wounds, especially the bruises to his open chest and six pack abs.

It was difficult to chat with the victim, one Sam Adams, as he explained his role in the fight in Olde English.

"I started to grab my Colt .45 in order to defend myself," he said.

(INSERT bad pun groans and to shouts of "This is a football blog you freakin' crackhead!!!)

Finally, the trailer park where this occured is named Rolling Rock.

You know the place, it's located just on the outskirts of Iron City.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 22, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Gotta believe with McNabb and Shanahan that's good for another 4-5 wins from last year. 4 or 5 more wins puts them at 8-8, 9-7.

.500 or better means they're competing. After last year, I'd be good with that, but like everyone else would hope they do even better in 2011. And that's when you should be logically expecting the team to position themselves among the top 2 teams in the NFC east anyway.

2012 they should be competing for a super bowl.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 22, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Red, we need a #1 WR, not just-a-guys. Those we have already...

I'm pretty sure the guys we have are the guys we'll go into the season with.

But then again, I said the same thing about the O-line last week and now we have Jammal Brown.

With Vincent Jackson perhaps on the trading block, here's hoping the trend continues...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

2012 they should be competing for a super bowl.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 22, 2010 9:07 AM

Fret not...Skins, Wizards and Caps all win titles in 2012. Book it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

The scouting report on Jammal Brown from Matt Moseley on ESPN.com:

As promised, I spoke to several NFL talent evaluators about new Redskins offensive tackle Jammal Brown this morning. Everyone agrees that he's a talented player, but there's been concern about his durability going all the way back to his time at Oklahoma. He missed the '09 season for the Saints with hip and sports hernia injuries. Now he claims to be 100 percent healthy.

Here's what a veteran AFC scout had to say about Brown this morning via text:

And that last part was a common theme in the conversations I've had this morning. Brown's a good player, but when he has to make "sudden" decisions, he's prone to mistakes. As we talked about Sunday, though, he's definitely an upgrade for the Skins' offense line if he's healthy.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

red, red, brown,
i think there's no reason to be anything but optimistic about this year. during past offseasons our acquisitions/roster moves seemed sort of random or based on the latest whims of snyderrato. this time there's a plan. TW, jamal brown, mcnabb... it's all good...

mind you, i'm ALWAYS optimistic in the offseason. it just feels different this time.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 22, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

You know the place, it's located just on the outskirts of Iron City.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 22, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

The victims eyes resembled dos equis, according to witnesses.

It was the record 33rd beer related beating in Rolling Rock this year.

For this honor, the woman was awarded the coveted Pabst Blue Ribbon by the Guiness Book of World Records.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 22, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 22, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

McNabb? He's an upgrade on a downslope.

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 22, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

"If you look him up on pro-football-reference.com, the stat site, the only truly "good" QB they cite as having a career of "similar quality and shape" is Phil Simms. The other QBs they cite are journeymen like Jim Plunkett, Jim Hart, Archie Manning, Jim Harbaugh, etc.Posted by: SnakerJake"

Sixty people have probably already pointed this out, but Archie Manning was not a journeyman QB. He was a great QB, one whose career, according to Roger Staubach, could have been as good as Roger's if he played on a better club. Plunkett wasn't a journeyman, either; he survived early career anguish to take Oakland to a Super Bowl. Jim Hart went to the Pro Bowl four straight times as he led the Cards to division titles.

Falling into a group with those guys and Phil Simms is no insult.

I'm wondering, do you actually watch football?

Posted by: Samson151 | June 22, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

count me in the glass half full camp. Now I also have a bloodied, bruised, cut and concussed forehead from the constant slamming of my head into the wall of "Hope" the last 10 year when it comes to the skins....but this offseason my emotional and intellectual side are a bit more in equilibrium towards positivity going on into upcoming season.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 22, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"With Vincent Jackson perhaps on the trading block, here's hoping the trend continues."

The charger just lost a defensive tackle named Ian Scott.

I'd offer Albert Haynesworth for Vincent Jackson straight up, no questions or back end issues asked.

Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera would see AH opening things up for Shawn Merriman and Larry English.

The chargers are deep enough at wide receiver to where they could move Jackson and let someone else pay him want he wants and we know Dan Snyder will do it.

Jackson isn't the greatest on his own, btw, he succeeds because Philip Rivers is one of the best deep ball throwers in the league.

And so is Donovan McNabb.

Imagine a big, fast receiver like Jackson working deep with Moss opposite, and Cooley/Davis crossing underneath.

Now, that's what I'm sayin'.

We've said it before and will say it again: offer AH to the chargers for V Jackson straight up.

And with no questions asked.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 22, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

"Size and athleticism...good feet, can slide and has good range off edge, but not a power player. Average at point of attack bulk strength. More finesse in run game than push and drive. Gives the Redskins an athlete that can pass protect and move his feet with experience and solid stater ability. But he can be challenged with anchor and can have some trouble at times with stunts and twists in space.Posted by: brownwood26"

I think that's fair. Brown basically described himself as not the biggest or strongest guy. He's clearly looking forward to playing in Shanahan's offense, and the zone blocking. Meanwhile it's reassuring to think he'll be protecting one side against the pass rush -- teams are flopping rushers a lot these days.

Mistakes? Anybody watch the Skins blocking last year? Now those were mistakes.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 22, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 22, 2010 8:29 AM

Since we're passing out the KoolAid, here's what's got me excited: on both sides of the ball, we've got big change going on, and the guys leading the change are smart. There are going to be some problems adjusting, but I can't wait to have this team surprise me on the field.

How many times didn't we grind our teeth last year, watching Portis hit the pile for a loss AGAIN, watching LL get burned on a double move - Zorn's schemes were either completely hare-brained (fake field goal, anyone?), or completely predictable. And to be honest, Gibbs 2.0 got pretty predictable too.

So here's to the new boss. NOT the same as the old boss.

Posted by: SonofNero | June 22, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"The NFL has been trending toward a soft spot in the shallow to mid center field ..."

Agreed.

The "seam" route is open virtually every play it seems. Safeties are lining up farther off of the ball, and the great thing about the Skins TE's is not many LB's can hang with them since most are just pass rushers anyway.

Plus Davis and Cooley are both good enough to play the slot position in a 3 WR set if they have to.

DMac loves the TE anyway. I don't see this as being a bad thing for this upcoming season.

Also, IFFF Landry can play OLB in some sets on defense I think it will benefit him. He might not be able to cover WR/TE's but he CAN cover most RB's if he has to and rush the passer occasionally.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 22, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

"It's actually refreshing to see the front office respond to deficiencies in a direct way instead of having Vinny in the back room rubbing his lucky rabbit's foot."

Vinny drafted a$$-backwards and hoped that linemen would show up from out of nowhere.

The wonderful thing about Shanallen is they understand the importance of OL/DL that Vinny never did.

This is 100% a positive for this year. Again they might not make the SB, but I do see them making the playoffs this year.

I don't think that is a stretch either.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 22, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

And with no questions asked.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 22, 2010 9:19 AM

Works great on Madden, but in real life there's two problems with that:

2) A.J. Smith has no interest in guys with drama. AH brings plenty.

Only people with prior experience with AH seem to be able to work with him...that basically only leaves Detroit and Tennessee as possible landing spots. Neither is likely to trade for him, so I still think he gets cut outright.

I'm still waiting to hear more about Seattle's interest...I'd love to ship his fat @ss there...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Lo Alexander would have to change his number if he's going to be a LB, right?

Red, I don't think he has to change numbers. I think that rule only applies to OL(ineligible) vs. rb's anf wr(eligible).

Posted by: frediefritz | June 22, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

"We're getting as much competition as possible," Shanahan said.

They need to start saying which Shanny said IMHO.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 22, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

And with no questions asked.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 22, 2010 9:19 AM

Still some chatter in Raider land about AH for Seymour, or AH for Aso...

Posted by: SonofNero | June 22, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

And with no questions asked.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 22, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

While I would love this.....The Chargers also play a 3-4 right? AH wouldn't play there either, so they are unlikely to trade for him.

Posted by: rupertpupkin | June 22, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

When the sugar high from all this Kool-Aid you're downing wears off y'all are going to crash and burn and it won't be pretty.

Alright, OK I'll have a sip: if the new tackles work out and McNabb plays consistently well, winning the division is not entirely out of the question.

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 22, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

There's a big difference between Rex G. understanding the offense and having the physical and mental tools to effectively execute it. I think he's proven during his career that he's going to be inaccurate and sometimes make poor decisions. I certainly want Donovan to remain upright - I think Rex is a pretty average-quality backup QB who's not going to win us any games, and may hurt the Skins if he has to play very long.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 22, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

How many more stupid MoFos gonna say trade AH to the Chargers? It was plenty doing it the previous week......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 22, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

"1) Haynesworth doesn't wanna be here because of the 3-4. The Chargers run a 3-4. No problem solved."

I hate to disappoint folks on this blog, but the principal comment made on the eve of the mandatory minicamp was that Haynesworth didn't want to be a Washington Redskin.

We love and respect a team many folks don't.

His actions are not unlike those of Jason Taylor, another player who booked out of town using the lame excuse of, "I want to be with my family in Florida to train."

Taylor also wondered aloud about how he was being used by Gredg Blache.

And given the fact that NFL Network's Solomon Wilcots has shown that in Tennessee AH played all over the defensive line, from end to tackle to nose tackle, you have to assume the 3-4 scheme issue is garbage.

I submit: "The Redskins are trying to establish a new regime with new schemes at Redskins Park, and it is not an organization that Albert would have ever been attracted to just a short year ago - regardless of the money," agent Chad Speck said in a phone interview. "He has made it clear to me that he does not want to play for the Washington Redskins, published June 15, 2010.

So you think AH will go to a quality 13-3 Super Bpwl ready type team and act out like he's in a daycare center?

Doubt it.

Offering an annoying guy doesn't mean the other team has to take him to rid itself of a headache.

A.J. Smith is also cheap, a good talent evaluator, and has his own headcase in V Jackson to contend with on the eve of a Super Bowl run: and that's really worse then our AH issue.

I say let AH and VJ switch teams, and all the problems those players beef about will go away.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 22, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

agreed on proper first name identification on Shanahan quotes 4th. We need blog names for the double shanny...Baby ShanahAN, Shanny Jr. Big Poppa Shanahan, General and LT....

AH to Chargers for VJ ain't happenin'

Posted by: chrislarry | June 22, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I have been doing one big Kool-Aid keg stand since we hired Shanahan and Allen.

Here is what I think: We know what the other teams in the NFC East want to do on offense and defense.

They are not quite sure what to expect from us.

Sort of like when Zorn went 6-2, then teams started to figure him out. Well Shanahan will be able to adjust.

So, week 1 we kick Dallas in the balls, then knee them in the head. Get an early lead, say 21-7 at halftime. Then pin our ears back on Romo.

11-5 this year....book it.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 22, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Because of McNabb's age and history of injury backup QB is a pretty important position on the Skins. Never really liked Grossman so Sage would be interesting if he is released from Minnesota. Skins drafted him and always thought a mistake getting rid of him. Also interested in how Colt looks in this system. Shanahan didn't draft a QB so interested to see if Shanahan views him as a potential QB of the future.

Posted by: sovine08 | June 22, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Good find, Nero...this comment caught my attention:

"I have a better trade for us Aso for Haynesworth! We absolutely need to trade Aso now if he isn't going to sign long term we either trade him now or we lose him for nothing. Aso is a great player but he isn't worth top 5 QB money. After this year we must pay him top 5 QB money to keep him. "

Swap arguably the best cover CB in football straight up for a lazy malcontent who only plays up to his potential with a payday on the line. Looks like Raider fans are as stupid as they are crazy...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

RIF.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | June 22, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"I have a better trade for us Aso for Haynesworth!"

I can't defend trading a defender for a defender.

We have all read various comments regarding the lack of depth and quality at the receiver position for the Washington Redskins.

If AH is to be moved before camp just to be rid of an obvious headache--the optimum in this case--let the skins receive a proven, yet 'I want a change of scenery' vet receiver who can fit in on day one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 22, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 22, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Moe, like I've said since Day 1...if AH was about winning, he'd still be in Nashville. He's about getting the money and doing what he already knows so he can play on cruise control. Learning the intracacies of the 3-4 ain't on his docket...

And don't make VJack look worse than he is...he, like many other young players getting screwed out free agency because of the lack of a new CBA, is pissed that he's getting a fraction of the money he'd be getting in either an extension with the Chargers or on the open market. Not exactly refusing to play in a new system because the new coach isn't a pushover.

But here's an angle that supports your trade: AH might like playing for a coach (Norv) that's every bit the milquetoast that Zorn is...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Always thought that Sexy Rexy would be little more than training camp fodder... that is, somebody who could help school the other "real" QB prospects on the finer points of young Mr. Shanahan's offensive scheme... but also someone who would never actually run the risk starting a regular season game for the beloved home team.

Also thought that the team would continue to build depth at the skilled positions and make some of these over the hill has-beens redundant.

While it's fully a month away from the start of training camp... am now starting to worry about the lack of viable alternatives to starting Rexy and/or Colt if and when the Donovan goes down.

In an ideal world, you want a back up quarterback who is able to push the starter... and maybe even compete for the starting job himself... and not someone who is just content and complacent enough to hang around playing with the third stringers and practice squad.

Posted by: Vic1 | June 22, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan can do the same thing for Donovan. The parallels are stunning...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 22, 2010 8:47 AM |

I beg to disagree. Ask any Cleveland Brown fan whether Elway was clutch. Elway was always clutch - he went to 3 SBs as a youngster with no memorable talent otherwise on the team (Mecklenberg?).
its not like he was Trent Dilfer as a SB QB.

I do agree that the key for this team to improve markedly is to establish a strong running game - which we really have not had in years. Not sure that any of the re-treads are the answer (even temporarily) and am concerned that CP26 remains our best option. That said, beyond my pessimistic view point - which is ALLOWED - I do like the tenor of the recent moves - especially stealing the lineman from the Saints. THAT was a good deal with little downside. Also, we did draft an OL high, albeit would have been more excited with Okung. Not sure that these moves move the O-line from abysmally crappy to fairly competent, but they do not seem to get us near the elite level of o-lines. That will take a few years. McNabb and JC were properly priced deals as well.

I reserve the right to laugh at the AH situation - how could every single one of us NOT see this coming after the laundry list of FAs that have screwed D$? To be fair that was a Vinny Cerrato bungling consistent with many of his other terrible deals. The best solution for the team is to resolve it quickly, even if sub-optimally to get it behind the team that WILL show up to play. There is no way to get 'un-f*cked' in the situation, only a way to get 'less-f*cked.'

I am optimistic the team will improve over last season. That said, a 75% improvement puts us at 7-9. I hope to be pleasantly surprised and have one of you throw that prediction back in my face.

If nothing else, Vinny is gone, and BA has proven to be a far more adept dealmaker than VC could ever hope to be.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | June 22, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I so hope that Colt shows up this preseason and straight whoops Grossman....

I would have liked to see what he can do, I would have also loved to have kept Chase Daniels......but everyone is in love with the 6-9 qb....I don't understand, if they could throw in college, then I'm sure they can throw in the pros to some degree.

Posted by: impervious99 | June 22, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

A former Gator QB locked and loaded?

It don't get better than that.

Posted by: TheCork | June 22, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection

That screen name is SO immature and Juvnile!!

Sincerely,

Mike Hunt

Posted by: TheCork | June 22, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

brownwood26

Not another NFL expert analysis from a blogger. If a blogger was as smart as they thought they were regarding NFL personnel moves then they probably would not be a blogger.

Posted by: ged0386 | June 22, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Rosenfels QB rating in Houston == 82.1
Grossman QB rating in Houston == 5.6

Posted by: greenback | June 22, 2010

Only in DC will skins fans create a backup QB controversy. Sage was a backup who lost his starting job to Matt. Matt went to the probowl. Grossman has played in the superbowl. Why are bloggers discussing this?

Posted by: ged0386 | June 22, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan can do the same thing for Donovan. The parallels are stunning...

Posted by: brownwood26

There are no parallels between Elway and McNabb.

Elway was considered clutch long before the Super Bowl wins. He only has the record for most come from behind victories with 47. He tortured the Browns with final drive wins in AFC Championship games pre Shanahan. McNabb could not carry Elway's jock strap. Elway is widely considered in the top 10 all time and McNabb won't even get in the HOF.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 22, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan can do the same thing for Donovan. The parallels are stunning...

Posted by: brownwood26

There are no parallels between Elway and McNabb.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 22, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Grossman had made an excellent observation? The Redskins have the luxury of two solid pass-catching TE's. How many NFL teams are prepared to cover two TE's that can run WR routes and catch the ball with good YAC numbers? Defensive coordinators will have to respect the proven RB's while keeping tabs on TE's over the middle.

If these Redskins come to play this year - which wouldn't be the norm - they could be contenders.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | June 22, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

at the same amount of years in the nfl mcnabb threw for more touchdowns than elway and far less interceptions and his completion pct is higher(mcnabb throws alot of low passes). elway could not carry any of mcnabbs underwear, shoes, etc his teams went to the SB and were routinely destroyed. r. cunningham was better than elway with a stronger arm and cunningham had NO running game and NO o-line and played in the nfc a much stronger conference than afc at that time, elway is overrated because he is so-called white. and a black man t. davis got elway his SB rings deal with it"..you know you can't.

Posted by: wathu19 | June 22, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wathu19
______
So GETTING to the super Bowl is nothing??? Elway did it 5 TIMES..WON TWICE!!!! Cunningham never even made it once. Heck all he had to do was beat Atlanta when he was QB of Minnesota.. and Atlanta sucked. McNabb?? how many NFC championship games did he LOSE???

Posted by: sovine08 | June 23, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

r. cunningham was better than elway
______
Best story i heard about Cunningham.. He was playing golf with Michael Jordan one time and Mike lighted up a cigar. Randall asked him what kind of cigar it was and Mike said "A championship cigar.. you wouldn't know about them." Elway would...

Posted by: sovine08 | June 23, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse