Posted at 10:35 PM ET, 01/ 2/2011

Rex Grossman's audition: Did he do enough?

By Paul Tenorio

Redskins quarterback Rex Grossman's three-game audition ended unspectacularly Sunday afternoon in a 17-14 loss to the New York Giants.

Grossman completed 26 of 44 passes for 336 yards and two touchdowns but also threw an interception and lost two fumbles. Whether he impressed enough in his three starts will remain to be seen. Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said he'll be able to fully evaluate Grossman now that the season is over.

After the game, however, Grossman said he was hopeful he could be a part of an offense that "is very exciting and very fun to be a part of."

"I think this team has a great nucleus and great coaches," Grossman said. "I think the Redskins are definitely going to be good the next couple of years. ... For the most part, I tried my best. I'm proud of my effort and I stayed as late as possible to prepare for all three games. I gave it my best shot and I definitely had some moments of meeting my expectations and definitely a few that I didn't."

Grossman's most glaring error in the loss to New York was his interception in the third quarter. Grossman looked for fullback Mike Sellers in the slot but Sellers peeled up the sideline as Grossman threw the ball. New York linebacker Keith Bulluck stepped in front for an easy pick. Grossman had eight turnovers in three games plus his brief game-ending appearance at Detroit on Oct. 31, and Shanahan said he'll evaluate the circumstances surrounding each. The Bulluck interception, though, wasn't not Grossman's fault, Shanahan said.

"Well, I don't like to get into assignments, but [Sellers] was supposed to stay in the flat on that play," Shanahan said. "Mike thought he was scrambling and Mike didn't know Rex was staring at him. He should have stayed in the flat and that is why he threw it to the flat. When he took up, then obviously there was the interception. That was just Mike thinking the quarterback was scrambling and Mike trying to make a play."

By Paul Tenorio  | January 2, 2011; 10:35 PM ET
Categories:  Rex Grossman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DeAngelo Hall: "I still got a long way to go"
Next: Redskins set to pick 10th in 2011 NFL draft

Comments

Well, he's no Donovan McNabb, but then again neither was #5.

Posted by: daggar | January 2, 2011 10:40 PM | Report abuse

No, no and no! He is a worthy back up but his immobility is damning. He throws off of his back foot too often and cannot hit the big "out" on 3rd down. Look at the 3rd downs Eli made today. Deep 8-15 yd outs....Rexy cannot hit them. That takes away 1/3 of the field to defend. Advantage defense.

Clegg

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | January 2, 2011 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Well if you want a turnover machine at QB then yeah he's shown us enough that he's capable of being that guy and he should be our QB next season. However, if you want someone playing QB who gives us a shot at winning then no way has he done enough and no way should he start at QB for us at any point in the future except in an emergency. How often do you hear people say that turnovers win football games? Why then would you want a guy who generates them for fun directing your offense. You can't win with Grossman - simple as that.

Posted by: tartanskin | January 2, 2011 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey Diesel,would you consider adding Andy Dalton to your list of QB's as a possible 2nd rounder?

Posted by: wagman1 | January 2, 2011 11:03 PM | Report abuse

He's better than his rep. He's also clearly better than McNabb. Neither of those things mean much -- McNabb is very close to done and his teammates know it -- but he's probably our best option to hold the fort down for a rookie. No other journeyman will be as comfortable in the offense.

Posted by: MylesMonroe | January 2, 2011 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Rex is not the answer to the Redskins QB needs. A nice backup, but, as Sonny says, he can't throw the out. Inside the numbers, he is OK. Draft the future and let Rex be the backup.

Posted by: kinsman_bob | January 2, 2011 11:08 PM | Report abuse

The Bulluck interception, though, wasn't not Grossman's fault, Shanahan said.
________________________________

Agreed coach. It wasn't not Rex's fault.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 2, 2011 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Rex is like something Ken Beatrice used to say. He's like the little girl with the curl. When he's good he's very good, when he's bad he's horrid. Too erratic to be a starter. By the way, I thought we were going to see Beck sometime in thses last 3 games. What happened there?

Posted by: mhjhahkh | January 2, 2011 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhjhahkh | January 2, 2011 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhjhahkh | January 2, 2011 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wagman1 | January 2, 2011 11:03 PM

Wagman- sorry about the earlier comments...I live and die by this shatty team.

No. That's a few RDs too early for me. If we had a 3rd or 4th then I would entertain taking him but I think the 2nd is a reach.

I think when Shanahan evaluates a QB he's going to look at athleticism, arm strength, and ability to learn his offense. That eliminates players like Mallett and possibly Dalton.

Just look at the way Grossman runs those bootlegs and you get the picture of what Shanahan doesn’t want. I almost positive that Shanahan is going to fall in love with Jake Locker...I like Locker but the 10th pick needs to be a can't miss prospect.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 2, 2011 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what this "Rex can't throw a 15 yard out route" talk is all about. You all do realize he is a professional NFL QB right? Rex's problem is he is woefully immobile and often takes too long to get thru his reads. He has 3 or 4 fumbles in 3 starts; surely those aren't all on him, but when you take too long to get rid of the ball, bad things happen. I think he's a fine "bridge" guy for next year if we draft a guy and definitely a solid backup, but that's about it. But don't tell me he can't make that throw.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 2, 2011 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, I don't think he's taking Locker. Not unless we trade back. We'll see in about 3.5 months

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 2, 2011 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Knock knock.

(Who's there?)

The NFC West.

(That's one of the worst jokes ever.)

Posted by: freakzilla | January 2, 2011 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Is there somewhere I can go to just surrender to the dingbat Hyundai couple? Seriously, I give up.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 2, 2011 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I think that Locker is the perfect Shanny reach pick in the first. He's got a ton of "upside" that needs to be tapped. That will intrigue Shanny's ego. I think he'll feel that he can get the most out of Locker via coaching and scheming.

Posted by: TWISI | January 2, 2011 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm just praying we find a sucker to give us anything for McNabb. But who? His legs are going and he's shown he can't pick up a new system quickly. His contract is the real killer. Any team with mild interest -- and that's all there will be -- will just wait for us to cut him so they can sign him to a cheap deal.

Posted by: MylesMonroe | January 2, 2011 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MylesMonroe | January 2, 2011 11:38 PM

Hopefully Bruce Allen will be able to convince a team that there is enough interest in McNabb (or Haynesworth) from multiple teams, that they shouldn't allow him to go on waivers...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | January 2, 2011 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Wagman- sorry about the earlier comments...I live and die by this shatty team.

Hey, no problem. I've been rooting for this team since 1966. My Dad got me into this mess and I've done the same with my son. I get really frustrated at times and tend to get too negative. My bad. I like Locker too, but agree 10 is alittle early at this point. He also scares me alittle. Have to see how things shake out after combine, etc. You get to see Gabbert the other night? Not bad until he threw the pick that lost the game. Almost runs the spread almost exclusively and that always gives some concern in transitioning to a pro set. Christian Ponder and Ricky Stanzi could also be later round picks, but as of now we have no 3rd or 4th rounder, as you know. We shall see.

Posted by: wagman1 | January 2, 2011 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MylesMonroe | January 2, 2011 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I think between 92 and 5, we will get at least one 4th rd pick; it'll be a debacle if they both are released outright and we get no compensation.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 2, 2011 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI

Shanahan will definitely pick Locker as he seems to like QBs with the Jake (or variation of Jake)name....Jake Plummer...Jay Cutler.

It will be a colossal MISTAKE. It's well documented that Shanahan is a failure at drafting (and he's a PR NIGHTMARE!). Locker is a good kid and can run but he does not win and Cam Newton is far superior IMO.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 2, 2011 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 2, 2011 11:57 PM |

IMO, I wouldn't take Locker at #10. Shanny studied the kid the year he was out of football and reportedly really liked him. I can't see a year changing that. Locker is going to do really well at the combines (he's scored a 22 on a pre wonderlic (sp) exam), and interviews. We'll see soon enough.

Posted by: TWISI | January 3, 2011 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Just in case anyone wasn't paying attention here is the draft order so far:

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 3, 2011 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 2, 2011 11:57 PM

1st sentence was solid followed by unsubstantiated nonsense. Shanahan has a similar track record to any other coach. For every Portis, Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Brandon Marshall, & Jay Cutler there is a Delta O'Neal, Ashley lelie, & Maurice Clarettt. To say that Shanahan has failed at the draft is ridiculous.

Newton will be off the board and he played on a much better team than Locker. There are also many more questions surrounding Newton than Locker.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 3, 2011 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 2, 2011 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Co-sign... Or ditto... Or whatever it is that means I agree.

We probably won't get compensation for both... but we need compensation for at least one!

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | January 3, 2011 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Just in case anyone wasn't paying attention here is the draft order so far:

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 3, 2011 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Damn those Cowboys!

(Still, I wonder what punt returner Jerry Jones will choose with his number nine pick.)

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | January 3, 2011 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 2, 2011 11:57 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 3, 2011 12:10 AM | Report abuse

If I may chime in, he also drafted #71 this year. I certainly don't see that as a failure.

Posted by: wagman1 | January 3, 2011 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 3, 2011 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Giants DT Cofield on Redskins fans cheering GB win: "That shows you the state of their team, that they were cheering about us failing. That's when you have no success, those are the kind of things that excite you."

Seriously, Barry?

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 3, 2011 12:31 AM | Report abuse

el beepo

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 3, 2011 12:35 AM | Report abuse

RG8 is a backup QB and a decent one at that. he proved in these 3 games that he will not be Shanahan's starter or answer or anything else. I see him back next year as the #2 or maybe starting the first 4-5 games to pave the way if Shanny drafts a QB of his liking.

Posted by: greatteamdan | January 3, 2011 1:01 AM | Report abuse

The thing folks need to remember about next year is frankly we have no idea what the season will be like. It's possible that there might only be 3-4 weeks for training camp/preseason and then regular season games. That would give a HUGE advantage for an incumbent like RG8 over anyone. That's why we might not even draft a QB early this year. A lot will depend on the CBA which none of us know what will happen there...

Posted by: stever37 | January 3, 2011 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Grossman is worse than a backup, Shanahan is an idiot

Posted by: BeatDontStop | January 3, 2011 1:22 AM | Report abuse

I don't know how folks can say that Grossman is worse than a backup. Have you looked at some of the backups in the league?

Grossman had 3 starts-
Dallas 25/43 322 yds 4 td 2 int 93.4 rating
JVille 19/39 182 yds 1 td 1 int 60.0 rating
NY G 26/44 336 yds 2 td 1 int 88.8 rating
total 70/126 840 yds 7 td 4 int 81.4 rating

I'm sorry but 81.4 for 3 starts is not bad for a backup in this league at all. That's better than 11 starters in the NFL- including 2 guys whose teams are going to the playoffs. If you have a backup like that- you have a very good situation. Think say Kansas City would have taken a backup QB like that- when Cassel went out for 1 game- Brodie Croyle came in... look at his numbers:
7/17 40 yds 0 td 0 int 48.9 rating

So stop with the stuff about Grossman being worse than a backup. That's just totally not true.

Posted by: stever37 | January 3, 2011 1:46 AM | Report abuse

hell no...5 fumbles 5ints in 3 games and 1 min 45 secs..nope..

Posted by: shondeveron | January 3, 2011 2:29 AM | Report abuse

He's done plenty to prove he has the stuff to make it as a #3 QB or bench coach in this league, which we all knew coming into the season. His quick decisions give glimmers of hope and his clutch turnovers lead the way for opponents. Seriously, why'd we get rid of Campbell? Grossman's play made it clear 1)McNabb didn't know the offense nearly as well as Grossman and 2)McNabb did at least as well as Grossman in the offense. McNabb is locked up and cheap, how can he not be brought back to compete for the job next year? It is unfortunate we didn't get to see what Beck has to offer. It would be nice to bring in a couple of cheap upside guys to compete with McNabb for the 2011 job and save the early draft picks for NT and OL. Guys like Carr, Harrington, Ramsey, and Smith all came into the league with better physical tools than Grossman and have failed much less miserably so far...

Posted by: zickzack | January 3, 2011 2:29 AM | Report abuse

We're ufcked if we don't try to get a franchise qb next year. We traded for McNabb as a possible stop-gap so we could get some leeway on when and how to go get our great white hope...now we pretty much gotta take a shot if we see a suitable prospect within reach. That's about all we really can say about the situation.

All the talk of specifics is really just babble because we have to many variables, right now, to make an accurate prediction. Here's to hoping, but it looks like we have at least five teams in the hunt for a qb solution who are picking ahead of us.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | January 3, 2011 3:21 AM | Report abuse

Something to consider: Rex Grossman isn't and never will be an above average NFL QB, yet he has been to a super bowl as a starter. This was because the team he was on knew how to build a TEAM, strong lines, tough D, a power running game. We need to worry about the basics of building a team before we worry about getting a QB. Just like Campbell last year, Mcnabb n Grossman didn't have a chance behind this O line with these weak skill players and horrible D. No reason we can't win a super bowl with Grossman if we had a TEAM behind him. Even if we brought in Peyton Manning next year, if everything else stays the same I think we would barely be over .500, if that. That said, I really hope we take Jake Locker with our first pick if he falls to us as predicted by many.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | January 3, 2011 4:55 AM | Report abuse

Rex Grossman should be used to help the Redskins get better, period. I suspect there is a team out there that would offer a 4th round pick - maybe with luck a 3rd? This is a deep draft that doesn't come along every year. Same for Andre Carter - great guy, not a fit here. Take a 3rd. If AH or DM can bring any picks in the 4th or 5th, take those and build. 2011 is not a Super Bowl year for our Skins; Beck will have to do. He was a stud at BYU before his Rookie Year experiences (ala Patrick Ramsey).

Posted by: OldCoach | January 3, 2011 5:35 AM | Report abuse

T-Rex (the T is for "turnover") has in the past been, is today and will always be at best a mediocre back up. The notion that he should be the starting quarterback is laughable. I am sure that he is a very fine young man, but he is immobile, has no pocket presence and will always give the ball up on a regular basis. Unless you have a world class defense, you simply cannot win with him as your QB.

Posted by: nrjlh | January 3, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Rex also said at times he felt he played on a "PRO BOWL" level. As a fan I'm worried about the mental stability of our team right now.

Posted by: dmayfiel | January 3, 2011 10:33 AM | Report abuse

maybe now redskin fans will understand the mistake the skins made when they signed passive aggresive Don. Why would Andy Reid trade McVictim within his division if he had anything left? Just remember, It's never McNabbs fault. He is always being disrespected and picked on. Whaaaaaa!I bet teams all around the league can't wait to pick this coach killer up.

Posted by: edbevco | January 3, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else notice McNabb hobbling across the field at the end of the game? He looks like he's put on 50 lbs of butt since Halloween. That can't be good.

Posted by: trebor0012 | January 3, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Not to knock on Grossman (who's been halfway decent) or to defend McNabb (who's been disappointing)..everyone seems to forget that McNabb didnt have Ryan Torrain for a crucial 4 week stretch (and was also only played sparingly for the detroit game prior to the BYE, so really 5 weeks without him).
Having a strong running game changes everything - which we have when torrain is there. Rex has had the luxury of Torrain balling out of his mind, McNabb had scrubs K. Williams and J. Davis to work with.

Posted by: plive202 | January 3, 2011 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Rex is worth keeping around in some capacity, sure. For me it boils down to 8 turnovers in 3 games.

Barnes showed he belongs on the field, not necessarily at safety though.

Anthony Bryant looked like he deserves more playing time at NT. That would be a huge find as we were able to play the run yesterday. Then again, it looked like we were in a 4-3 on 1st and 2nd down.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | January 3, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Torain in the 3 Grossman starts had 49 carries for 177 yards. That's it. He in McNabbs final start had 24 carries for 172 yards. 3 100 yard rushing games for him- all with McNabb- and in 2 of those games we lost.

Posted by: stever37 | January 3, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

"Well, he's no Donovan McNabb, but then again neither was #5."

Exactly.

I was convinced about a month ago that the Redskins would draft a RB in the first round this April, but now I think it's gonna be QB.

The o-line looked just as bad for Grossman as it did for McNabb however. Doesn't matter who is back there, they need to fix that first.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 3, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

If I led the Redskins, I would concentrate on drafting linemen with both the 1st and 2nd round picks, even if it meant going with a journeyman QB next season (Grossman or equivalent). I doubt the "sure thing" QBs will slip down to the Redskins' draft position, and they have too many other needs.

Posted by: acoberst1 | January 3, 2011 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Grossman is great - except for all the fumbles and interceptions....

Posted by: charley42 | January 3, 2011 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Rex Grossman's audition: Did he do enough?

The funniest question of the year....The answer is NO! He's a decent back up and exactly who I thought he was. The same TO machine he was in Chicago with no pocket awareness what so ever.

Posted by: dcwun | January 3, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

It did not matter what QB had played, Umenyora would have caused those fumbles as he was toying with Williams on those plays. Shanahan said that Mike Sellers did not run the proper route, but what does he know, right? And heck might as well add Santana Moss turnover as another Grossman mistake, we don’t want to let the facts distract us from blaming Grossman for the failure of others.

LOL. Lets play fantasy football. Replace Grossman with Campbell or McNabb and lets listen to the excuses:
The fumbles wasn’t his fault, the OL did not protect him.
The interception was the coach bad play-call.
Santana’s fumble? The white referee sticking it to the man.

Posted by: isthatallthereis | January 3, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

well let's see how season tickets sales go with Grossman known to be the starting QB going into next year.

Snyder can't go into next season without a degree of hype. so where does Snyder compensate for a non-sexy QB.

Posted by: oknow1 | January 3, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

one word - - - - NO!!!!!!

Posted by: mrcox54 | January 3, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Before everyone piles on Rex, how did cutler the savior of Chicago do yesterday? 21 of 39 for 168 with 2 ints and no tds, 43.5 rating. He played the whole game and played to win.

Posted by: Seanmack1 | January 3, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

People ripped Clinton Portis when he said 3 years ago that he would like to trade places with another running back and see how well a new RB would do behind our line and how well he would do behind their linemen. The way I see it, he was telling it like it was, how it has been and how it will likely be next year. If the Shanahans waste their picks on QB and receivers we will get the same result. Has anybody noticed how many times Rabach has stepped on the QB's foot? If he was going forward, it wouldn't happen so often. Since he is so often pushed backwards he's in the way of the QB. I like Chris Cooley, but has anybody noticed how many passes he has dropped? Did it to McNabb and Grossman. Cooley has fallen off. Rich Gano. How many games does he get to lose for us then blame it on the QB not getting points. Did it to McNabb and to Grossman, yet Hunter Smith got cut. All long is this rodeo is run by the clowns, the Bills, the Bears, the Lions and even the Cowboys will keep beating us. And some poor QB out of college is going be drafted as fresh meat for the slaughter. He will earn every dollar that he will be paid because he's going to be blamed for the failure and have to suffer his first year in the NFL flat on his back or running for his life.

Posted by: Carole5520 | January 3, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

He## no. He got no business in the league. He is one sorry a## quarterback. Rex = turnover, turnover,turnover and choker.

Posted by: mssassy | January 3, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse