Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 12/31/2010

Sunday's game will be crucial for Grossman

By Jason Reid

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan has watched quarterback Rex Grossman closely every week and will be focused on him again Sunday in the season finale at FedEx Field.

If Grossman performs well against the New York Giants, he could take a huge step forward in solidifying his standing as Washington's starting quarterback entering the offseason. Grossman has one more game to shape Shanahan's opinion.

"This is an evaluation time," Shanahan said the other day at Redskins Park. "We get a chance to see what he can do. Rex has had a lot of starts in the National Football League.

"It's the first time that he's running our system. We've had a chance to see him in two games and we'll have a chance to evaluate him this week against an excellent football team that's playing for a playoff spot."

Has Shanahan seen enough to formulate a general idea about Grossman for next season?

"I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays against the Giants," Shanahan said. "There have been some big positives and there have been a couple of negatives.

"Like all quarterbacks, it's an evaluation process. We'll get to see him on stage in a good environment. I know he's looking forward to the opportunity and we're looking forward to him playing."

For the past two weeks, former third-string quarterback John Beck has been Grossman's primary backup and received some first-team reps in practice. The experience has helped Beck, Shanahan said.

"You get a chance to evaluate a guy who is getting more reps in practice," he said. "He's one snap away from being the starter.

"You get to see him prepare and how much time he spends in that preparation. It's been a good experience for him the last couple of weeks."

By Jason Reid  | December 31, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan, Rex Grossman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haslett: Hall's Pro Bowl selection was 'well deserved'
Next: Orakpo 'pretty sure' he's going to play vs. Giants

Comments

Two touchdown passes...both to Santana Moss...Moss makes the Pro Bowl as a replacement.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 31, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps it will be a big day to evaluate Beck as well...

Who knows?

Posted by: edvar | December 31, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

As Kyle's system QB of choice (and one of his closest friends) Grossman will be back regardless how he does this weekend.

Thus would it not be wiser for management to see what Beck can do in a non-preseason game? Much more to gain evaluating Beck than getting more tape on Grossman at this point.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 31, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 31, 2010 11:28 AM

Hard to argue with that.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 31, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I think we'll see Beck for at least a few plays. The Giants will knock Grossman around and he'll have to come out at least temporarily.

Posted by: msrent | December 31, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Any chance of the old switcheroo and Beck is actually starting this week? Or would we know that already?

Posted by: PlayAction | December 31, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 31, 2010 11:42 AM

If so, it's going to come as quite a shock to Rex.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 31, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@p1

it's not a good sign that your corner is making that many tackles or the DC is brushing off the ones he didn't make

Posted by: hessone | December 31, 2010 9:18 AM |
---------

so, tell me where in my post I bashed dhall.

and you know so much about football, tell me what is fact and what is fiction about my post.

if you're proud of the redskins losing ways, more power to you. don't worry though, allen and shanahan will get us on the right track, considering all the moves they've made so far ar rock solid

I want coaches that don't excuse poor play, and while we're at it, the pro bowl is overrated. just ask the real redskin defender that should be pro bowl bound, london fletcher

Posted by: hessone | December 31, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I meant *ducks*

Posted by: frak | December 31, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Not trying to play amateur GM here, but it would not surprise me to see Shanahan end up taking a lineman in Rd #1 and ending up with Blaine Gabbert QB/Missouri with his 2nd rd pick. Perhaps a trade down in RD 1 to facilitate this could happen as well.

The more I see about Gabbert the more I think he is a Shanahan type. Big arm, mobile, smart. So we get Grossman in 2011 and Gabbert takes over soon thereafter.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 31, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Has everyone forgotten that Grossman signed a one year deal and could walk away after the season? That makes him the wild card in personnel management.

If Beck handles the #2 role well enough and Grossman sucks, well then you have McNabb and Beck right where you want them.

If Beck stumbles and Grossman performs ok, then you know that resigning Grossman as the #2 is pretty important.

If Grossman and Beck win their positions outright, then you can move McNabb. But I haven't seen anything from Grossman which says he's better than McNabb, so I'd suspect Grossman will get no better than a #2 contract offer in the offseason.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 31, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

It just strains credulity that I'm constantly up here defending one of our own against the team's own fans - you'd think that we're talking about Terence Newman or Mike Jenkins.
I just don't get it.
Posted by: p1funk | December 31, 2010 10:01 AM

This is high comedy..

EVERYTHING from you is negative until the topic of DHall. You'd think that we're talking about Bum's son or Singletary.

Wonder why Haslett has to defend the selection? Take away the Bear game and he's sitting at home. Can't say that about any of the other selection.

You're actually saying that DHall is moping up and that's the reason for his high tackle total? It's because he's targeted more than the drunk chick at The Cellar...

I'm happy we'll get to see our helmet in the game no one watches but if you're looking for consistency then don't look DHall's way.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 31, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey, OC, feel free to riff on your playbook's "Greatest Hits Of 2010", that's what Gibbs usedta do at the end of the year, usually in the playoffs, and he tended to blow people out that way..just sayin'..

Posted by: frak | December 31, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

When you look at the drafting order of the bottom 10 teams, eight teams could select a QB in the first round. Blain Gabbert will be off the board in the 1st round.

Watched Jake Locker play last night in the Holiday bowl and he managed the game well, but none of it was through the air (Nebraska's Defensive backfield is rated pretty high). This tells me he is going to have a tough time against NFL corners since the ball is thrown in very tight windows. Anyone else have a take on Locker?

Posted by: flyinggoose1 | December 31, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

id pass on locker

Andy luck or bust!!!!!

I would trade our 1st n 5th this yr n 3rd nxt to get him

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 31, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

id pass on locker

Andy luck or bust!!!!!

I would trade our 1st n 5th this yr n 3rd nxt to get him

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 31, 2010 12:30 PM |
--------------

that's snyder and cerrato's game plan.

keep the picks you have and only trade down for more picks if it makes sense.

DO NOT TRADE DRAFT PICKS

Posted by: hessone | December 31, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flyinggoose1 | December 31, 2010 12:19 PM

My take on Locker is that he is extremely overrated. I once was excited by the prospect of Locker playing for the Skins. I am now terrified at the same prospect. I would disagree with you he didnt manage the game well at all. Just because he was able to run the ball well doesnt mean he managed the game effectively. UW runs a pro style offense and Locker couldnt get the ball to his receivers. McShay tried to place the blame on his receivers but if Locker was the elite talent he was advertised to be that shouldnt have been a problem. I hope the Skins trend towards someone like Ponder or wait another year because I dont think our qb of the future is going to be found in the early rounds of the 2011 draft.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | December 31, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh and please don’t put a mike in front of him. Does the NFL allow for players to take a pass to be interviewed? Don’t bother I know the answer. Sarcasm goggles already on.

Posted by: fat_back | December 31, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Lots of Qb's have lost the super bowl. why is Grossman the only one that has a loser reputation by these sports writers and Tv know it alls?. Each year there is a SB loser.Grossman has lots of company. The last time the Bears were in the SB he was the QB,none since,same for McNabb,who gets credit for just getting to the SB and play offs.McNabb one of the losers too.

Posted by: dcg326 | December 31, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Hall had a good year for the most part. Glad one Redskin made the pro bowl. He does get burned on occasion but he's the closest thing we have to a game changer on the team. Hessone is right about the tackles, those numbers say more about the front seven than they do about Hall. And pfunk is right too, as it's a stupid reason to hate on the guy. So you two kiss and make up.

Posted by: mack1 | December 31, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Didn't get the sarcasm goggles that I asked for christmas...hate that santa claus!

Jim Kelly is a super duper loser.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 31, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

"He's one snap away from being the starter."

Jay Schroeder was one snap away, too.

Though in reality, it proved to be two snaps.

(groan)

Posted by: freakzilla | December 31, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | December 31, 2010 12:42 PM |
------------

I never hated on dhall if you read my post. some folks don't take the time to comprehend what's written in a post and slam others for their opinion. some, like scamp, take it a step further by bringing family members into the discussion and talking about oral favors, then trashing a poster like p_f for the same type of post.

also as d44 mentioned, it's alright for p1 to bash whomever he wants on the redskins and then bash folks for doing the same when it comes to dhall.

Posted by: hessone | December 31, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flyinggoose1 | December 31, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see it that waay, as the problem was more the WRs couldn't beat press man. In the NFL, if a WR can't beat press man, they plat special teams or they are cut.

I thought as the game went on, Locker gave up on reading coverage deciding to use his legs. He'll have to be more discipline in the NFL. I Like Locker's arm, mobility, smarts, and leadership.

IMO I wouldn't draft Locker in the top 10, but if he's there in the middle of the first, he could be well worth the pick.

Posted by: TWISI | December 31, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I have a love/hate thing with DHall. Sometimes he frustrates by passing up the safe play, but when he's on, the guy is a game-changer.

And I do think that he deserves the Pro Bowl nod. Dude won two games for us and tied an NFL record that's extremely difficult to reach.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 31, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

hess

I kno that you wouldn't like to trade picks but there is a difference in me n cerrato

Cerrato would trade picks for agin veterans

My trade is to get the next Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers at the start of their career

Not the back end like Cerrato

Or would you rather take somebody else in the top 15 at qb??

The fact of the matter is luck is head n shoulders above the other prospects

Look what bradford did for the rams, there slowly on the way up

With mcnabb we slowly went down

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 31, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

hess

Cerrato would trade picks for agin veterans

Not the back end like Cerrato

Or would you rather take somebody else in the top 15 at qb??

The fact of the matter is luck is head n shoulders above the other prospects

Look what bradford did for the rams, there slowly on the way up

With mcnabb we slowly went down

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 31, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I never said you did hess. The two of you were arguing two different things. I just wanted to point that out.
And I think there's a major difference between scamp and the POS you mentioned. Scamp is a cantankerous grump but he admits when he's wrong and he tries to be fair. Also he's funny. The other guy is pretentious and a racist who's not worth another keystroke.
Hope you have a happy New Year Hess. My resolution is to become the official Blog peacemaker in 2011.

Posted by: mack1 | December 31, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 31, 2010

I've been saying for a long time now that Locker is a very good athlete but an average college QB. Not accurate and hasn't won games at a program that usually has some talent. 3rd to 4th round pick.

Posted by: dcwun | December 31, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Still a couple weeks till the deadline but as of now Andrew Luck says he is staying in school next year.

Posted by: will_ga | December 31, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 31, 2010 1:18 PM

You know, after the combine when the draft media take over the convo, Locker and a few other QB's are going up into top 10 draft picks. Not saying they should, just predicting that it will happen.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 31, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"He's one snap away from being the starter."

Jay Schroeder was one snap away, too.

Though in reality, it proved to be two snaps.

(groan)

Posted by: freakzilla | December 31, 2010 12:45 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

at least schroeder brought the skins jim lachey... quite the coup for the skins!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 31, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Locker can run but he has problems with accuracy. We have that now with McNabb so I'd much rather try a new approach with a QB who can throw the ball where he wants it to go.

Posted by: will_ga | December 31, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

With mcnabb we slowly went down

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 31, 2010 1:21 PM |
------------
still can't believe the FO made the trade for mcnabb.

I understand where you're coming from brandon, but I just feel like we keep reaching for who we think are the best players instead of drafting and developing our own good players. it's like we have to have the best for the sake of having the best, and that doesn't alway equate to being the best.

Posted by: hessone | December 31, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | December 31, 2010 1:27 PM

I can see that. It could be a deep draft depending upon if the underclassmen try to avoid the potential of a rookie wage scale. If that happens, I'd be more inclined to trading back if available and getting a qb in the laye first to early 2nd.

Posted by: TWISI | December 31, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo beeps

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 31, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | December 31, 2010 1:22 PM |
-------------

and you're off to a good start mack. I wish you the same for the new year and I'll do my part to help bring peace and good will to RI as well.

f scamp

just kiddin, happy new years cramp

opps, another typo

Posted by: hessone | December 31, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't care if he throws for 500 yards and 5 TD's, Grossman is a capable backup and nothing more.
Put John Beck in for at least two quarters.
Who knows, our future starter at QB may already be on the roster.

Posted by: JONJJ | December 31, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Where is Todd Collins today? He was also an apprentice to a surrogate father OC Al Saunders. So...Sexy Rexy is Kyle's road dog. Hmmmmmmmm. We have been here before folks.
Just can't see how a guy like McNabb didn't get the benefit of doubt and two seasons. That's not football business coaching sense. This is something along the lines of personal bias and emotions by a 30 year old. No 30 year old knows it all yet. Except my son of course.

Posted by: kentonsmith | December 31, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

locker is NOT as good as people think... he completes barely over 50%, has a losing record, and throws more picks than td's... do NOT be fooled by his intriguing athleticism!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 31, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Who is going to evalute that loser-idiot Shanacant and his idiot son? These two have taken this team to an all-time lousy low.

Posted by: sameolddoc | December 31, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sameolddoc | December 31, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

So Kyle wanted his buddy, Sexy Rexy, to be the starter all along. Then why didn't he stop Daddy Shanny from giving away high draft picks for MacNabb? Brilliant, just brilliant. Where was the equally brilliant Bruce Allen? No matter who the skins hire, they become idiots shortly after they arrive at Redskins park.

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | December 31, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | December 31, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Don't blame Dumbahan- blame the guy that hired him. You knew what you were getting with Dumbahan- a guy with a sub .500 road record away from mile high stadium- a guy who won at home because he inherited a HOF QB and got lucky with a 6th round draft pick that turned into a superstar (Terrell Davis), and because visiting teams couldn't acclimate to the lower oxygen levels inDenver in 3 days time.
Dumbahan has shown such poor clock management skills that even the homie TV announcers criticized him...
He took a top 10 4-3 defense and turned it into
a 3-4 sieve, without any justification other than he liked the 3-4 better. By doing so, he wasted the talents of Haynesworth and created a circus that lasted all year.
Dumbahan is a control freak who's been a disaster for the Redskins, and any of you think you're going to win with this guy, keep buying Danny boys tickets and merchandise and see what happens.

Posted by: lumerm | December 31, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins need to adapt/instill a sound philosophy of scouting, drafting, and developing players that are intelligent, sound, disciplined, and are focused on winning, not being 'high-profile players', aka divas. For the past decade, the Redskins have plunged into free agency, made blockbuster trades, drafted skill players, and made high-profile coaching changes WILL VERY LITTLE SUCCESS TO SHOW FOR IT (0 division titles and 3 playoff appearances in the past decade). All these moves are good to excite the fanbase, but in the end it does little towards winning games on the field.

Let's get either an offensive lineman or NT in the first round, a LB in the second round, focus on trying to develop John Beck, trade McNabb and Haynesworth for draft picks, and do a better job of developing the young talent we already have.

Posted by: marcarutledge@yahoo.com | December 31, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan will want Locker because is like horsey Elway. A bit underrated college qb but a terrific athlete. Like Elway. Baseball. Born in WA state...blah ..blah..

I live Seattle. I want them to fire Shanahan. He would be nowhere without his horsey.

Bless Albert and Donovan for dealing the fuhrer Shanahan.

Sieg Heil to the Redskins and happy new New Year Kool aid drinkers.

Posted by: dmlopez1 | December 31, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

For those that say McNabb is better then Grossman, what are you basing that on? Surely, it can't be this years performance.

Posted by: pquick6165 | December 31, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pquick6165 | December 31, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pquick6165 | December 31, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcg326 | December 31, 2010 12:36 PM |

****************************

Nobody is saying Grossman sucks because he lost the Super Bowl. They're saying he sucks because he sucks. Give it time, young Grasshopper... you will see soon enough.

I'd trade all three of our QBs for and old Jim Kelly, by the way. He lost 4 SBs, but he was a great QB. Marino lost the Super Bowl. So did Fran Tarkenton.

To put Grossman's name in the same post with those guys is a shame. He's a walking blooper reel. What is so hard to understand about that?

Are you too young to remember him playing for Chicago? Because I remember well. He held the team back nearly single-handedly. He didn't LOSE the Super Bowl. He COST HIS TEAM the Super Bowl.

He sucks.

Watch and learn.

You'll be ready to see the last of him soon enough. He's not good and he's not smart. He can't run and he has no arm. He can't avoid the rush and when he gets hit, he usually fumbles. He throws picks like he gets a bonus for each one.

He's a JOKE.

Posted by: Thinker_ | December 31, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

It's about knowing your team is as good as theirs, and yours is. Skins isn't respected and it's deserved. You want respect? Gorilla Eli Manning-it's that simple. Their O-line is now average and they know you will not beat them, no matter if you are better than them. END OF STORY.

Posted by: CTaylor42 | December 31, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

I think it's pretty hilarious how bad the FO is. Last year, I said they were absolutely insane to let JC walk and trade two picks for Donovan McNabb. JC is more accurate imo than Donovan. He just doesn't have quite the leadership capability that Donovan has. That said what the Redskins need to do is keep Donovan for another year and he'll have a better grasp of the offense. Draft some O and D linemen and keep Rex as a backup. Drafting a QB in this year's draft would be a big mistake for the Skins as there is nobody really that good. Letting McNabb walk would put the Skins in a perilous position. The guy may not be that accurate but he is a lot more mobile than Grossman and as a result can make first downs with his feet.

Posted by: Thundershock | January 1, 2011 5:24 AM | Report abuse

What's next, Mark Brunell as the backup? Haslett, Bruce Allen and Shanny and his little boy must go.

Posted by: MikeMIke3 | January 1, 2011 6:08 AM | Report abuse

Grossman is somewhere between Danny Wuerffel and perhaps as high as Mark Rypien (or perhaps Jay Schroeder.) Give him the other tools that the Gibbs 1 teams had, and he might make the playoffs.
The Skins need to bite the bullet and build through the draft. Perhaps by 2018.

Posted by: lrmc623 | January 1, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

All this evaluation stuff would make sense if this was July. in essence what they are finally admitting, though indirectly, is they were wrong about this team and they need to go in another direction. Problem is they are building Rex Grossman up as though he is the answer and we know that he is not. this is yet another blunder waitng to explode.

i still go back to my prior statments, Shanahan came back to set his son up for a head coaching job. the plan was for dad to put up good numbers for 2 or 3 years and hand the keys over to his son. all signs point to it. Trading for McNabb, signing over the hill after over the hill cast off guys. they thought they could win fast with these bums, but they can't. sad part is fans saw it well before it came to this point. We've seen the fact we lack depth and talent at many positions. So shanahan and Snyder once again have no credibility.

Posted by: oknow1 | January 1, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Why do the 'skins continually try to make something out of nothing? Grossman is washed up and never was anything special.

Time to start from a clean slate and draft a young qb that can be groomed.

Posted by: LEDC1 | January 1, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Shanahans first year Zornlike ?

Posted by: BeatDontStop | January 1, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

This team needs so much more than just QB
Can Allen get a 2nd out of Minnesota or Arizona for Mcnabb?
Can he get a 4th for Big Al out of Tennessee where he belongs?
Also, trade down from 13 for more picks.
We have 7 picks as we stand now these moves could get us to 10.
Draft guys like Justin Blackmon OK St or Julio Jones ALA. Get Leshure as change of pace back. These guys are game breakers.
Josh Moffit G Wisc. Kirkpatrick C TCU , Pouncey g fla. Interior OL is awful these guys are brawlers.
Draft Ponder, Foles, Stanzi or Dalton.These guys will be available 3-5 rounds. Whichever Allen thinks has best upside for offense.
Pursue Guard and Top flight receiver.
Mathis from Bengals or Lutui Cards are better than our guards by a mile.
Vince Jackson Chargers.
Rest goes to defense. We can live for a year with Grossman. These types of moves are possible. If Grossman was throwin to Moss, Blackmon, Armstrong and Jackson. And had a better interior line he would look much better.

Posted by: joeortega4 | January 1, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Beck should get a chance. We all know what Rexie has never been able to do (just win baby) BUT we know he can fumble and throw interceptions. He has proven this over his lack of a career.

Kyle S needs to go. He only has the job because of Daddy. Send them both to say Carolina for NO draft picks.

Posted by: mrcox54 | January 1, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Evaluating, evaluating, isn't it time to evaluate Shanahan who to me would appear better buying old nags at a horse fair in Tipperary Ireland. That what he reminds me of, a dealer who gives the luck money begrudgingly. Careful with that horse trading Mike, buying a nag when you need a thorobred will mean they will finish in the glue factory or the NFL equivalent, the Injured reserve list.

Did you evaluate Gallagher, Roydell Williams, Portis, Parker, Johnson, and many many more. Can I make a suggestion? Look at their sell by date. Why have we played so badly in the second halve, because they are like the coach, a has been.

Posted by: blessemun | January 2, 2011 12:35 PM | Report abuse