The Rhino and The Geyser

Fan voting for the Pro Bowl closes at noon (as if the entire format weren't bizarre enough, there are still three games left in the regular season) and the schlubs came up with a late ticket that might deserve some consideration.

While we were waiting for Jim Zorn's postgame press conference late Sunday/early Monday, The Mayor (Jason Reid, for those who do not reside in the greater Loudoun County region) and I were chatting with Ryan O'Halloran from The Washington Times and we began pondering scenarios for the offensive line.

I was partial to a Geisinger/Fabini/Kendall/Rinehart/Heyer alignment, and Ryan O had the perfect nickname for the two newcomers: The Geyser and The Rhino. Sounds like a WWF tag team from back in the day, eh?

The sound of those two nicknames, coupled with the guys' decidedly un-menacing natures/dispositions/body types cracked me up. I championed Geisinger a few weeks back as the single most deserving recipient of a Pro Bowl push, and now this nickname, coupled with his debut at left tackle and individual battle with Terrell Suggs, has to put him over the top. And with Rinehart likely to be active for the first time since being taken in the third round in April, I guess that'll make him eligible for some write-in votes, right?

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 9, 2008; 9:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Suggs: the Rest of the Interview
Next: Unrestricted and the Linemen

Comments

are all our boys still leading in Pro Bowl voting?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 9, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | December 9, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

If I hadn't seen what kind of offense we have when Portis gets hurt I would agree with you, but I watch the Dolphins with Ricky and Ronnie, the Panthers with Stewart and Williams, the Colts with Addai and Rhodes, the Titans with White and Johnson, the Giants with Jacobs and Ward and Bradshaw, the Cowboys with Choice and Barber and Jones, and the list goes on and I think our offense needs another back to share the load with CP and Betts isn't that guy obviously.

Plus, I said prior to saying pick moreno, if and only if you've plugged your other holes in FA, which if you look at the list I put up there of signees if we could fill those positions why not get a guy to help CP?

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

LOL..in case you didn't read the article it discusses the drafts of the past 3-4 years,and not the class of 08'....and last i checked that MLB and great safty, i don't think they were drafted the last 3-4 years..

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 9, 2008 9:23 AM |

LOL there 2007 draft is better then are last 3-4 years by itself not including 2008, OOL stand for Out of League there entire starting O-Line has come from these drafts.

2007 - Baltimore Ravens

4 120 Manuel White RB UCLA OOL
5 154 Robert McCune LB Louisville OOL
6 183 Jared Newberry LB Stanford OOL
7 222 Nehemiah Broughton RB The Citadel OOL
2004 - Washington Redskins
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 5 Sean Taylor FS Miami (Fla.) Great player (Dead)
3 81 Chris Cooley TE Utah State Very good TE
5 151 Mark Wilson T California OOL
6 180 Jim Molinaro T Notre Dame OOL

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm not comfortable using the nickname "Geyser" for anyone.

It evokes either lavish vomiting or... something even worse than lavish vomiting.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 9, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Look at the difference in the amount of picks that tells you alot, we had 21 picks in those drafts and 10 of those are not even in the league anymore.

We got 8 good players from those drafts and one great player who is no longer with us, no O-LINE no D-LINE

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say this but truth made a good point when he referenced Parcells 08' draft and what personel he chose in his effort to rebuild this team. ALL LINEMEN
Figure it out Vinny !!

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 9, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Someone else made a reference of using a 1st round pick on Knowshown Moreno WTF ??
Why would you want to use a 1st rounder on anything other than a Lineman at this point ?

Talented RB's come in all rounds, and really there success is largely based on what kind of line they have.

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 9, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

haha jerry jones is calling out Marion Barber for not playing against the steelers, I guess he didn't didn't see Tashard Choice have the best game a running back has had all season against the steelers and that it was his golden boy Tony Homo that lost that game for him, not the absence of Marion Barber, Jerry might be worse that Snyder, nah, he just has a bigger mouth that's all.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

And none of those potential free agent O-Lineman to sign are NFC East quality

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 9, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 9, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

one thing I must say

maybe, just MAYBE, and I'm crossing my fingers here

maybe it was a plan. Maybe they liked the skill position players from last year's draft and thought they could get at least 2 more years from the O and D lines.

Maybe it was a plan to draft the lines in the next two drafts and then we'll have skill position players who have a year of experience behind crap lines who now get the added advantage of good lines.

The experience with crappy lines might make them better in the long run.

And yes, the glass is half full!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 9, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 9, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that would have been great last year when we had 5 picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. This year we have 4 picks total and we need to rebuild 3 spots on the Oline at least, 2 or 3 on the Dline, and we need at least 1 linebacker and we need them all to be immediate starters and impact players. You don't do that with 4 draft picks and you rarely can expect immediate impact from anything past the 1st round. So once again, we have to build at our core thru free agency, and you can get lineman there (they are more expensive then the guys you draft but they are there) there aren't very often playmakers available in free agency and we need help to keep CP fresh.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

And none of those potential free agent O-Lineman to sign are NFC East quality

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 9, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Mike Goff who has been opening holes for LT couldn't do that in the East? that's just a silly comment, good lineman are good lineman.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

pre LT's cut (weeks 1-9): 13 punts downed inside the 20, 2 touchbacks

post LT's cut (weeks 10-14): 3 punts downed inside the 20, 4 touchbacks

PSP, are you kidding me??

You don't see that in the first part there is a GREATER amount of time used, versus in the second part there is a smaller amount of time used?

WTF, you're not that stupid I hope.

Know what, I don't care. You're supporting this whole "we're a lesser team since we cut LT" premise.....sorry, but I'm moving on, this is just stupid...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 9, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I have always been a proponent of the "best player available" approach to the draft, and I still am. However, that assumes that you can actually identify the best player available. And if you can't, then you might want to follow a different approach, say "drafting for need."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 9, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

also, with the Pro Bowl voting.

1) as people said on the other blog, it's ALWAYS been a mockery since fan voting was used. But now it's just cause the Redskins stuff the ballot that it's awful and we're bad people for doing that. I stuffed the ballot and I'm glad I did.

2) Any and every time I have voted for the Pro Bowl, I ALWAYS vote for Redskins anyway. It's nothing new. I vote for players I like, not who I think is the best. I thought that was the point of fan voting. The only difference this year is that I've voted about 10-15 times instead of once or twice. That's all. I also vote for ex-UGA players, doesn't matter their talent level. Musa Smith for the Pro Bowl baby!

3) Someone mentioned on the responses to the linked article about how it's pitiful the media takes Pro Bowl appearances into account when trying to determine if a player should be in the Hall or not. Maybe everyone should THANK us for bringing it to yall's attention that the Pro Bowl is just a popularity contest. Seems the "schlubs" forgot that.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 9, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

There should be no offensive players from the Redskins as starters except Portis. None of the rest deserve to go to a pro bowl. On defense London Fletcher should be a starter. Landry should go to the pro bowl. Other than that who else really deserves it. The offense has got to be one of the worst in the nfl. The defensive line has got to have the fewest sacks in the nfl.

Posted by: bigjofc | December 9, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

"My wife had been nagging me all week to get a ticket, so I when saw the Lotto sign ... I sprinted in to get the ticket before they closed," said the man, who asked not to be identified — normal practice among lottery winners in New Zealand .

"I must have been their last customer of the night," he said, adding that the young married couple had had a "rough" couple of years, reduced to one income after having children.

"I have never been so glad to listen to my wife's nagging," the man said Tuesday.

He discovered their newly won fortune Sunday thanks to his wife's request for a barbecued sausage.

Out shopping for bargains, the man said he didn't have enough money to buy his wife the sausage she'd asked him for. So he decided to check his Saturday lottery ticket in case he'd won a small prize.

"I could not believe it when they said I was actually the big winner," he said.

When he showed the printout to his wife, she initially thought they had won $4,200.

"When she realized how much it really was, she fell to the floor, and then said: 'but all I wanted was a sausage.'

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 9, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

**What is this post about? Jasno had too many bloody mary's driving to work this morning.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 9, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse**

*sarcasm alert*

TE, Don't you get it?? His name is Rinehart...so his nickname is Rhino...!! HAHA !!!

I agree...not quite sure about this post. The Suggs post ended with onto the Bengals.. so we get..."Hey here's a funny nickname"

Posted by: cej75024 | December 9, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Jumbo,

No response on the Ravens Vs Redskins drafts over the last 3-4 years, you should try researching a point before you make it.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

that's just a silly comment, good lineman are good lineman.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Lineman are as good as the opponents they blunder on a weekly basis. One of the reasons the Hogs had so much notoriety in the 80's was because they weren't doing it to the Seahawks and Lions they were doing it to the LT's Leonard Marshall's Reggie White's, Clyde Simmons, Randy White's, etc. Picking up FA Lineman for a few years and then using 1st round picks for jersey sellers (star college RB's) is more of the same. Drafting Lineman all the way thru in 09' represents a change in culture and philosophy with the FO yes 4 picks doesn't make miracles but who says it will be 4 picks when april rolls around ?

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 9, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

pre LT's cut (weeks 1-9): 13 punts downed inside the 20, 2 touchbacks

post LT's cut (weeks 10-14): 3 punts downed inside the 20, 4 touchbacks

PSP, are you kidding me??

WTF, you're not that stupid I hope.

Posted by: BeantownGreg
--------

Um, no, I like to think I'm not stupid at all. I'd use my documented education as evidence, but facts don't seem to affect you.

I'm sorry the stats don't come out the way you like. It's not my fault that when Leigh Torrence was on the team there is a greater than 6:1 ratio of punts downed inside the 20 to touchbacks, while after Torrence was cut that ratio drops to less than 1:1.

Now please, let all your bitterness out while you can. Scream it out, write it out, blog it out. Whatever you can do to let this thing go.

Posted by: psps23 | December 9, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Precisely. There isn't a person in the league that can do this with 100% accuracy. Most are actually fairly inept at it. That's the reason why I've never been a proponent of pure BPA. You should always have your team's needs as priority #1 when drafting.

Posted by: psps23 | December 9, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | December 9, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Precisely! Otherwise you might find yourself in the ridiculous situation of picking WR, WR, TE with your first 3 picks.

Oh dear ...

Posted by: Redcoat | December 9, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Using 9 games for one set of figures, then comparing that to 4 games as another set of figures, then trying to compare them as equals, goes CONTRARY to you thinking you're not stupid.

Last comments on this...moving on....why don't you do the same, and become a Saints fan, being that LT plays for them now....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 9, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cej75024 | December 9, 2008 10:26 AM

Maybe this would have worked better if it had been done by Jason Reid as a video. He could try different voices and facial expressions to imitate a geyser and a rhino. If "the medium is the message" I still am perplexed by those videos. Speaking of which, aren't we due for another one long about now?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 9, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Truth, Pro Bowl voting has always been a joke as long as players have been voting. You can't expect players to be able to assess other players across the league, or to vote without bias. The notion that players are eminently qualified to elect Pro Bowlers -- or much more so than us fans -- is silly.

Every year it seems we hear about players who just copy other players' Pro Bowl ballots, or who vote purely on reputation... this especially makes sense when voting for the other conference, since practically speaking you're only facing each team every four years.

So whetever... the Pro Bowl is the dumbest, lamest all-star game in sports. So it shall ever be. We just care too much about the real games, the games that matter. It's not like basketball or hockey or the endless baseball season where you're just happy for a break to spice things up. The Pro Bowl will always be an afterthought.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 9, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I agree is the Best Player Available approach what got us Fred Davis instead of a O-Lineman or DE ?
Who here would love to have seen a 2nd round pick O-Lineman filling in for Chris Samuels Sunday night instead of Geyser ?

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 9, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

"Best player available whose characteristics just happen to align with our overriding sense that we're just one or two tall receivers away from going deeper in the playoffs than we did last season, even though we changed coaches and we have glaring needs on both lines and all that other stuff."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 9, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 9, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I just have nothing to say to this, you'd be very right if we had say 10 draft picks to stock up both lines and the linebackers like say....last year but we don't, at most if we trade out of the first we'll have 5 picks and only 3 in rounds (1-4) where you can reasonably expect to find contributing talent right away. That's just not enough, and plz don't give me the we can trade springs and washington and davis to the bengals for Lions for their #1 kind of scenario, at best we'll have 5 picks and few in rounds with real talent. Sorry to say, last year forces this year to be a Free Agent year once again. Either that or just admit to full on sucking for a year and do nothing but draft lineman like you say with maybe 1 being helpful next year....and do you really think the Danny would do that?

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Greg, I think you're wrong on this one Sir. By comparing downed/touchback ratios that way psps has effectively normalized the data, making the comparison completely valid.

Although for even better comparison, it might be interesting to see what those numbers are as a percentage of the TOTAL number of punts.

I have a feeling that what you will see is that overall you have a much higher percentage of punts not even making it to the 20 now - which is mostly on Plackemeier, he did look terrible in tha game on Sunday.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 9, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Oh dear ...

Posted by: Redcoat | December 9, 2008

And on that note Talent Evaluator is a pure idiot for suggesting the Best Player Available approach. Especially after the debacle this year with the draft he is a true idiot in every sense of the word. You use that "Best Player Available" approach
perhaps in rounds 5-7 but that's it. That's it !

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 9, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Anyone have an idea of how long the lease is at FedEx Field? The Skins need to have a new stadium built in DC. Snyder should take note of how Cincinnati is setup with all of their stadiums/arenas.

Posted by: JinxMan | December 9, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

psp,

Greg was pointing out that there is a difference of 5 games, Torrence played in 9 games he has missed 4 games so that comparison is not a fair assesment of what is going on.

They had 42 punts in the first 9 games with Torrence

They had 20 punts in the last 4 games without Torrence so I would say Torrence had allot more chances then the current guys have.

Also according to the stats Brooks was better then Plac at pinning people inside the 20 so it may not have been Torrence but the punter.

Brooks 26 punts 9 downed inside 20

Plac 36 punts 7 downed inside the 20

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

rc, 9 games versus 4 games, and thats valid? Really?...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 9, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Keep believing what you want Greg.

Definition of ignorance: A willful neglect or refusal to acquire knowledge which one may acquire.

Keep toeing that line, buddy.

Posted by: psps23 | December 9, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Flound thanks...I didn't think it was that hard, but I guess I was wrong.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 9, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

i am a big best available player advocate but there is a classic rule that one needs to take into account their own roster needs at the same time, you would never draft a QB in the first round 2 times in 1 game.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 9, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I mean one draft btw

Posted by: alex35332 | December 9, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

psp, you know the difference between the number 9, and the number 4 correct??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 9, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

know what, nevermind....9 games is the same as 4 games, and 42 punts is the same as 20. What was I thinking.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 9, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 10:44 AM

I ask you, how can a 12-line post begin with the words "I have nothing to say about this"?

How long would a post be that began "I have a lot to say about this"? Please, just a simple answer, not a demonstration.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 9, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I know in Madden I draft best player at the position I need, and once I have drafted all need, I switch to best available. And I have the nastiest Redskins team you would ever want to play, they have won the SB 6 years straight in franchise mode.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Brooks 26 punts 9 downed inside 20

Plac 36 punts 7 downed inside the 20

Posted by: Flounder21

Thank you, Flounder. Now this is a reasonable response. My inclination is that it's a combination of both. We all remember the Rock Carwright sabotage of Plac. That was coverage's fault. I also get the feeling that Plac places the ball a lot deeper into the 10 than Brooks did, so it's more difficult for the coverage team to get down there and down the ball.

Posted by: psps23 | December 9, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Ya'll act like this is new for greg

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

rc, 9 games versus 4 games, and thats valid? Really?...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 9, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse
Statistically valid Greg, yes.

Now, are you asking me if there are other factors at play here? Yes there are.

As both Flounder and I noted, there are less punts even making it to the 20 - although some of that is also dependent on where they are being kicked from, in many cases that's much further back as you are getting pinned and then having 3 and outs regularly lately.

So I guess we get to the following:

You have a lower downed/touchback ratio.

This could be because:

*. Punts are not making it to the 20 often enough to give the guys a chance to get into a groove on downing them (unlikely I think as they practice this don't they?).
t. Hang time is poor (possible and on the punter).
2. Punt crew is not so good at downing (also possible and may be because LT is not there).

So I would say there's a 50-50 chance that your teams are performing slightly worse because of the lack of LT when you are punting.

But truly, this is all very subjective because you play ddifferent teams every week, so it's hard to truly normalize the data properly.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 9, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

i noticed on another article that Rabach hopes Jansen can play. Good reporting would be to ask him if thats because he does not want to be the worst lineman out there.

My rating of worst to best Lineman for us this year:

1.Jansen
2.Jansen
3Jansen again
4.Rabach
5.Thomas
6.Heyer
7.Kendall
8.Samuels

Posted by: brownvb | December 9, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 10:44

No I'm not one of the people yakking up the trade springs, washington and davis for picks. But I hear what you are saying about 2009 picks being instant contributors and I am aware of that. I'll never give up hope that Lil Danny and Lapdog won't take a Parcells approach in 09' draft however. As far as FA hunting.

3 things we need before the April draft hits:

1. An above average young LB to fill Washington's shoes. Not a huge big money name but someone like a Shawn Barber money signing

2. A "semi" big name DE.. like the Falcons did with John Abraham ( who is now officially a big name at this point)

3. An above average LG something of a Pete Kendall 27 year old caliber not the 35 year old version

No huge money splashes ( maybe the DE part) but wise careful solid mid-level money for the LB and LG.
That coupled with a 09 draft talent that can hopefully start right away in say RG or RT position and we will be off to a good start hopefully.

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 9, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

zj, why don't you show us how intelligent you are by re-posting that the Redskins should draft a RB with their first round pick......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 9, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I have no idea of why everyone in the media seems to want Jansen to play he truly sucks, B-Mitch is the only guy I have heard that basically said Jansen sucks not in those exact words. Rabach wants Jansen to play because they are best friends.

I would rather put any linemen on the team over there then Jansen.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

you play ddifferent teams every week,

Posted by: Redcoat | December 9, 2008 10:55 AM

This has really worked against the Redskins this year. If only we'd played Detroit every week this year, we'd be around 10-3 or 11-2 instead of 7-6. Whoever made up the schedule sure didn't do us any favors.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 9, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

For us it would be the Bills. We could be 13-0!!

Posted by: Redcoat | December 9, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

jasno, this quote from suggs is funny as hell. i can just see the expression on his face and his eyes light up. sad cuz it's true but funny cuz someone actually said it out loud. thanks for sharing!

"I actually pointed at Jim Zorn and said, 'You can't do this, you're going to get your quarterback hurt,'" said Suggs. "I was like, 'I don't think this guys is supposed to be here. You've got a mistake.'"

LOL

Posted by: dealer1 | December 9, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

For us it would be the Bills. We could be 13-0!!

Posted by: Redcoat | December 9, 2008 11:04 AM

**** Hubris alert! ****

Are we going to take this from a Dolphins fan? Yeah, I guess we have to.

Step up dcsween and put a stop to this.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 9, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Sadly I am starting to think we need to double dip and get Free agents for plugging major line problems up and draft those spots as well.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 9, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Greg, I said we do that after signing OL, DL, and LB in free agency, obviously if we don't do that, then we draft those positions. I unlike you, am not saying wait and see if the receivers and tight ends and corners we drafted last year get good when we needed lineman and linebackers. That would be silly, but I am saying we need a weapon to pair with CP and IFFFFF we can fill our holes through free agency which is really our only option thanks to your retard draft last year, I wouldn't mind seeing them draft Moreno if he's there. If we can't fill those holes, obviously (to everyone but Vinny) we need to draft lineman.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I actually saw Suggs pointing at him and looking over at the sideline, but was not sure what sideline he was looking at or what he was saying.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 9, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Beantown, I already jumped on him for blurting that one out. I'll never understand that idea of drafting a RB in the 1st this april

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 9, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Are we going to take this from a Dolphins fan? Yeah, I guess we have to.

Step up dcsween and put a sto to this.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 9, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Lucky we're not in the same conference, as we have the tiebreaker over you too via the Rams...

/GLOAT

Posted by: Redcoat | December 9, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

This team has bodies at Rt (Heyer, Clark, Rhino). They need to come of this draft w/ a LT because signing a LT in FA is costly. Getting a LB and help on the D-line if FA would be an option given the lack of draft choices at this point.

Posted by: TWISI | December 9, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

zj,

They have Betts to go with Portis the problem is he never gets a chance to play long enough to get going, so even with Moreno he would not give you the one two punch you seek because the Skins do not use there RB that way.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I think the nickname "The Geyser" has already been assigned to Peter North.

Posted by: mdean3 | December 9, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 9, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 9, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

This coming from the eternal defender of last year's draft and a guy who can't read the IFFFFF in a sentence saying if we fill the line holes in Free Agency first. Sheez, I'm struggling with you guys here.

Obviously our offense still needs weapons pretty badly. Our entire o revolves around CP, and he can't handle the 25 carry a game workload, he just can't, so we need to add weapons still and another running back who is better than Betts (who is really good at screens but that's about it) would help a lot. If you don't want to draft that that's fine, then we should sign a guy like Derrick Ward from the Giants if he hits the market, but we need weapons still. Lines come first and foremost, but the addition of 1 more weapon is important to take some of the workload off of CP.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

you guys are arguing about a hypothetical draft pick?

the more fun thing IMNSHO would be to predict not what we or logical person would do in the draft but rather what would F. Vinny would do in the draft and who he would pick.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 9, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

this comes down to belief I guess, I haven't been impressed with Betts since his thousand yard year, he's a drop his head hit the hole hard runner and that's it, he has no vision, he never cuts the ball back, he fumbles a lot, and he isn't effective in short yardage. He had one good stretch of about 8 games back when this line was still pretty good. To me they could upgrade there and help the team a lot.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

here's my guess:

trade the first pick for a first and a 3rd.
so now we have 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 6.

1. running back
2. running back
3. QB
3. safety
4. DL
6. OL

Posted by: dealer1 | December 9, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Are you serious?

4 starting offensive,and 1 deffensive linemen in 4 years,(three of the five were 1st and 2nd round picks)which coincidently we didn't need(offense linemen anyway)during that stretch...1 starting safty,and 1 starting wideout(whom is a borderline bust being drated at 22)with very little production,he's another travis taylor for them...

and the redskins in that same stretch....

2 starting safteys(rip Sean Taylor)
1 starting and 1 major contributor at DT.
a probowl tight end
a starting qb.
a starting cb.
a starting lb.

add to that H.B blades,stephon heyer,and i waould say that we've out produced b-more in the draft over the last few years

now i understand how hindsight works,but i don't think anyone came into this season thinking that the line would have deteriated so quickly...most o-linemen play up to around 35.

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 9, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

here's my guess:

trade the first pick for a first and a 3rd.
so now we have 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 6.

1. running back
2. running back
3. QB
3. safety
4. DL
6. OL

Posted by: dealer1 | December 9, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

wow,

umm we have no second cause of the Taylor trade, we have no fourth cause of the Kendall trade we do have a 5th and a 6th and there is nobody that would give a first and a third for a middle of the 1st round pick.

Other than that though good strategy

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

This coming from the eternal defender of last year's draft

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 11:14 AM

What !! Eternal defender of last year's draft ?? Not me ! Must be someone else you have me confused with, I didn't like the draft one bit. I wish we would have picked up an OL somewhere in the 2nd. But whatever, I gotta run.

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 9, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Vinny will think that Samuels will be back healthy, Heyer will be our RT of the future, Rinehart will step in for Kendall, and Rabach and Thomas can cut it for another year.

He will draft a LB in round 1, a CB in round 3, an offensive lineman in round 4, and a defensive lineman in round 6.

My shot in the dark guess at Vinny's draft this year.

Posted by: psps23 | December 9, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

jack, you missed my first post. that is vinny picking not me.

so okay...yeah i thought matt millen was still in detroit. so i take that back.

so trade out of first for a 2nd and a 4th

so we got 2, 3, 4, 5, 6th

then he trades the 6th for a couple of 7's:

2. running back
3. QB
3. safety
4. DL
5. ol
7. ol
7. dl

Posted by: dealer1 | December 9, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

***I mean one draft btw

Posted by: alex35332 | December 9, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse***

Huh?? Suggesting drafting a BBW ?? ...huh??..oh nevermind, I got it.

Posted by: cej75024 | December 9, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 9, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

3 74 Yamon Figurs WR On Active roster

just imagine if the skins had invested a third round pick on a kick returner? we wouldn't ever hear the end of it,it would kind of be like drafting a punter in the 6th round,oh wait the ravens did that also...

6 203 Sam Koch P Nebraska

1 22 Mark Clayton WR Starting WR
2 53 Dan Cody LB Oklahoma...

I also noticed how you pointed out all of the skins picks that are out of the league,but not the ravens..should i do that reserch?

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 9, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it hard to pin a punt down inside the 20...when you are punting from , oh I don't know, you're OWN 30 !!!!

I mean...let's try stringing together a few first downs and THEN we can address the inside the 20 issue.

Posted by: cej75024 | December 9, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

++Vinny would stand pat in the 1st and draft Darrius Heywood-Bey or some other "stud" WR.

Posted by: TWISI | December 9, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse ++

Haha !!! That would cause an uprising of EPIC proportions !

Posted by: cej75024 | December 9, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 9, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

no no, beantown is the eternal defender of last year's draft, you're the guy who can't read if we plug the holes through free agency

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Time to chime in on zjfr2's side...

I see the point he is making. This offense does not have a diesel style of running back, (sorry Sellars), who is going to get the extra yards after contact on a consistent basis. When it is obvious that the line is not good enough for a surge on a one yard line or on third and one you have to wonder what one pick could have the most immediate impact on the offense. This offense is basically incapable of any sustained drive at this point. If we could magically fill all our needs in one year on the OL then this power back pick would be moot. We are about 3 picks (#1 and #2s) shy of a good line at this point. Portis, when healthy is a good back. Portis is never healthy for more than 8 games a season.

The flip side of this is salary ramifications. Portis and Betts are going to eat up huge chunks of money next year. The restructuring of Portis' contract in such a liberal way was way beyond good sense. He will be paid tens of millions past his prime. So with this consideration you really could not add much more in terms of a high dollar back into our backfield.

Top free agent linemen are not going to fall into our lap next year. Everyone will be bidding for Haynesworth, Peppers and good OLs. The Dockery price of 550 million was shocking at the time but it is what it is, the new baseline, even for a guard.

Posted by: driley | December 9, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Brooks 26 punts 9 downed inside 20

Plac 36 punts 7 downed inside the 20

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

There are other factors involved here: field position for the punt, ie, are you kicking from midfield or from your own 20, weather/wind conditions, who is downing the ball, is ball kicked out of bounds.

My point in this argument is, how many times did LT down the ball inside the 10? Many times he showed the speed to get down there, but not the coordination to control the ball. So I don't see any drop-off from losing LT.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 9, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

jumbo,

We did not need lineman are you crazy. We did not need 1st and 2nd round picks that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

They also got a few of there primary backups from those drafts.

I left out there starting Punter he is way better then the piece of crap we have.

Whose line would you have rather had at the begining of the season?

2 starting safteys(rip Sean Taylor)OK
1 starting and 1 major contributor at DT. would be backups on the Ravens
a probowl tight end OK
a starting qb. Work in progress we will see.
a starting cb. who could not catch a nerf ball thrown by my daughter and gets burned on double moves like a 5 dollar hooker gets the crabs
a starting lb. who although he is having a good year has the knees of a 50 year old.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 9, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse ++

I might literally drive to Redskins park and kick his butt, assault with out a weapon isn't that bad a crime and it'd be worth it.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

+++++
4-12,
You were robbed.

Antonio Bryant put up 200 yards and 2 TDs.

(I still don't believe it)

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | December 9, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

*** FF post ***

I'm pretty sure I'm king of the world.

*** end FF post ***

Posted by: dcsween | December 9, 2008 7:47 AM +++++

*** FF Responses **

Stumped- As I was saying...counting hatching chickens, or some such as.

Sween- Iceberg [Team BeltwayBlues] dead ahead!

** End FF Response ***

Posted by: 4-12 | December 9, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 9, 2008 11:29 AM |

Well it was easy with the Skins they only had 21 picks.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I'd also take Darren Sproles if SD lets him walk, he would be nasty change of pace from CP and would instantly upgrade our return game as well.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

And here is that starting baltimore wideout

Mark Clayton | #89 | WR

2005 Baltimore Ravens 14 10 44 471 10.7 47T 2 8 33 4.1 11T 1 -- --
TOTAL 189 2,435 12.9 87 10 21 84 4.0 42 2 0 0

not first round material if you ask me, this is his best year

2006 Baltimore Ravens 16 12 67 939 14.0 87T 5 7 -30 -4.3 3 0 -- --

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 9, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

1 22 Mark Clayton WR Starting WR
2 53 Dan Cody LB Oklahoma...

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 9, 2008 11:29 AM |

1 22 Mark Clayton WR Starting WR
2 53 Dan Cody LB Oklahoma...

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 9, 2008 11:29 AM |

Clayton is a good player:

Mark Clayton 30 494 16.5 70 3 0 0

How many of our receivers have 3 TD's and a 16.5 average

They missed on Cody he was injured in his first camp never recovered.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 9:54 AM

Knowshon is definitely would be a prize, but I think good backs, even starting backs, can be found with a high degree of success as late as the 4th-5th rounds.

For the first round, I'm down with the BPA strategy ... except if the BPA is a QB or strong safety. Other than that, there's room for replacement everywhere. Ideally though, I would go for BOTA.

Posted by: dcsween | December 9, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

not first round material if you ask me, this is his best year

2006 Baltimore Ravens 16 12 67 939 14.0 87T 5 7 -30 -4.3 3 0 -- --

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 9, 2008 11:40 AM |

He is a the second receiver and those are good numbers considering there QB play in those years was terrible.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

ok let me say it again.

WE didn't need offensive liemen chosen in the first or second round over the last 3-4 years.

who would you have given up that the skins drafted in the first and or second round for a linemen?

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 9, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

just so beantown and slippery aren't confused on what I'm saying, offseason needs:

1) A real general manager (will never happen but this is a needs list)

2) OLINE

then:

Dtackle
Dend
Linebacker

distant rest of needs:

running back upgrade over betts
wide receiver (still)
kicker
punter
safety (if Doughty can get back this isn't a need)
Corner (need a #5 guy after the realease of Springs this can be a UFA or practice squad promotion)

The only areas we are set at are QB (a very good place to be set) and Tight End (an utterly ridiculous place to be 1 of only 2 positions to be set at)

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 9, 2008 11:46 AM |

Rocky and Carlos Rogers, without blinking if it would of got me two big O-Linemen who could be starting now.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

anyone else catch this on the live locker room broadcast of the Vikings win, after the Dallas game?

Hilarious!

Posted by: AisforAdam | December 9, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 9, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I would have preferred that the Skins picked a lineman with one of the 2nd round picks this past year.

Posted by: CBT2 | December 9, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CBT2 | December 9, 2008 11:52 AM |

We were'nt including this year, although I agree with you.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

or Malcom Kelly, Fred Davis, Justin tryon, but really the problem we have now comes from 05 through 07 of having 4 picks in the combined first 9 rounds of those drafts, that's why the core of our team is falling apart. And last years 10 player draft class could have fixed it all and put 2 or 3 young players on our o line and front seven all in one fell swoop but instead we got a late round steal and Rhinehart and we'll see about the rest of it but it aint looking good.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

board.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 9, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CBT2 | December 9, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

We picked Kendall Langford (our starting LE) with the 66th pick (3rd round) of the draft. He has a couple of sacks and is looking useful at this point. I give Jeff Ireland a lot of credit for this year's draft, it helped us no end.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 9, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Why ditch Carlos Rogers? He has improved and will only get better. Sure he can't catch but he covers ok. If you lose him who is left? Springs always has vaginitis and Smoot is always guttin it out playing hurt.
Something is Wrong with Rocky though, he was flyin around early in the season but is very slow to react and is taking hits instead of givin them lately.

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | December 9, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Meep Meep

Whomsoever wanted their "unobstructed" video has got it. Ugh.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 9, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

OK,so we take a o-line men at #9 to sit on the bench and learn for three years,like we did with the wideouts this year,and another one in the second round the next year?

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 9, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

a first round #2 reciever?

i hope vinny can pull that one off

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 9, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CBT2 | December 9, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I agree whole heartedly(hopefully we can find someone to take Fred Davis)

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 9, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

7 246 Brian Rimpf T East Carolina

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 9:57 AM

additions/corections

2007
G Yanda on IR, was starting guard

2006
WR D. Williams started many games, currently on IR; some think he will be good but jury's out
RB Daniels on IR
OL Chester now starting due to Yanda injury but really a reserve, status next year open
Sypniewski on IR, #2 TE, played regularly when Heap was out (often)
Koch - #4 punter in NFL
CB D. Martin on IR, played a lot before injured
Lacasse cut by Ravens, reserve LB on Colts SB team, now OOL

2005
LB Dan Cody OOL - sad story, series of injuries beginning first practice
T ATerry - starting tackle
RB J. Green OOL
QB D Anderson former Pro Bowler, now OOL (wait - is Cleveland still in the league? nevermind)
LB M Smith OOL

2004
Only DL Edwards still with club, not a starter, generally disappointing, on IR
OL Rimpf played 3 years now OOL
WR Darling played 4 years, middling results; now with KC (IR)
WR C Moore played 4 years, middling results, now OOL
WR D Abney limited reserve 1 yr, OOL

Raven WR picks historically underachieved, but how much due to Billick/Boller?

Posted by: trav1 | December 9, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse