Richie Likes The Colts

Called Richie Petitbon for something entirely unrelated to the Super Bowl - you end up making a lot of out-of-the-blue calls in this business based on a rumor or a tip - and as always, fully enjoyed the conversation. Again, it ended up bearing no fruit in terms of the reason for my inquiry, but it never hurts to talk to the Skins of the past.

This man is old-school football to the core and is always pleasant and affable on the phone. So we chat for a while about this Redskins-related topic, and quickly are discussing the game Sunday. Ritchie still follows football closely, and, like everyone else this time of year, has an opinion on how the Super Bowl will go down.

Again, like virtually everyone else, he believes the Colts will get it done, and is looking squarely at the quarterback position in the final determination.

" I don't think you can look past the quarterbacks," he said. "Now, saying that, Grossman is libel to light it up, but then again he could light it up either way. That's the problem. You've got o have consistency from the quarterback position, so I like Manning. I'm going with the Colts."

He is hardly alone in this estimation. Difficult to find too many people down here who like the Bears, aside from Wilbon.

By Jason La Canfora  |  February 2, 2007; 1:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Last Night
Next: Your Daily Sabol

Comments

If you happen to speak to Petitbon again, please let him know that we Lancers fans (maybe use the name 'Skins' so he knows what you mean) love and miss him and consider that one year a mulligan. He took the brunt of the JG 1.0 hangover. But man, up til then he was great.

Really glad to see this post about your conversation with him, J-La. Thanks.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and connecting through O'Hare last night I saw a flight boarding to Miami. Suffice to say that in addition to Wilbon, there is at least a planeload of people down there who like da Bearse.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Nice innovative double-post-move, by the way, J-La. Back to back new threads without a huddle. The J-Gun Offense.

Carlos Rogers is like four threads back, shaking his head in disgust.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Did you ask him if he still walks around with that clipboard swingin' around off of his belt? I'm surprised no one ever got injured by that thing, especially himself.

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | February 2, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"Carlos Rogers is like four threads back, shaking his head in disgust"

Hilarious

Posted by: Skinz | February 2, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Pulldownclaw, forgot to mention (I'm in catch-up mode) that I was joking with Mrs. Nate about going into your sister's store and saying "I know your brother, Pulldownclaw, from the blog!"

I am a dork.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

J-gun offense- any inside info on Monk's HOF chances?

Posted by: Jeff Hayes | February 2, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Jason, great to see you blogging -- or at least thinking about blogging -- about actual Skins stuff again! I am SO psyched that you have a rumor that you're tracking down and totally hope it ripens into a printworthy item of Skins news. If you see Troy V. (he's down there w/the players ass'n, right?), hope he's good for a rumor or two to chasing down. I know the team/players/coach need a break at some point, but the withdrawal is killing me as much as having to go off coffee when I caught the stomach flu going around (the one that victimized your girl). [Once the virus hit me, it took me a while to figure out the pounding headache was not the flu, but instead the caffeine withdrawal.] SKINS NEWS! I'm dying for anything ...

Posted by: dcsween | February 2, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Who the heck are the Lancers, Nate? Did Pettibon coach at Lee?

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | February 2, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Joe - We changed the name of Our Team about 15 threads ago.....

Posted by: 4th | February 2, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Joe, Red Lancers is the new nickname for the Washington, DC NFL franchise.

It was suggested by sfskin, I think, and as I recall her nomination included a sweet history lesson about the original Red Lancers.

I'm trying to use "Red Lancers" and "Lancers" whenever I refer to the team. It's a movement, yo!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat - Are you glad you are going to get to see your team next year in London? Or do you live in the DC area now? I don't think you want to miss out on that......

Posted by: 4th | February 2, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I was of the opinion that Gibbs came back to coach because his son wanted to have a career as an NFL coach... since his son decided to go to racing instead of coaching, I'm sure one of the 'rumors' going around is that Gibbs will step down as our coach this month.
I don't think Gibbs will quit at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the rumor J-La called Richie P about

Posted by: Diesel | February 2, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,

If you don't want to get shocked anymore, touch anything metallic with your sleeve first. It grounds the object and you don't get shocked.

Posted by: charlie | February 2, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Joe,

I'm still rather partial to changing the name to the Crazed Toucans. (Jason's bar-mate in Miami.) But that's just me.

Posted by: charlie | February 2, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Lancers is the new PC name for the Washington Football Franchise.

RE LEE = bush league

Rogers jab was ama-za-zing.

Okay, Jason, have you had any Clinton Portis/Grim Reaper/ THE U grads hanging out in South Beach/Miami/Boca Raton/Floridian coastal townships?

Posted by: Dorf | February 2, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

CINDY!!! Get that bikini arse outta the blog... I'm at a middle school up here. God forbid I stop visiting this website and give my undivided attention to the youthful tragedy otherwise known as America's future.

Posted by: Dorf | February 2, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Nate-that would be so cool, but my sis would have no idea what she was talking about, and if she mentioned it was from a Redskins Blog, the eye rolling would commence. She would however, love to back the name change to the mighty Red Lancers.

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | February 2, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Joe, Lancers is the name Nate suggested that we use for the Skins. Which I really like and been using.

Where is Lisa today? That damn job! I hope her boss isn't going to make me come down there and give him a smack in the back of his head. lol

Posted by: Anonymous | February 2, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy about Favre coming back next season because I have always liked the guy but not as much as Madden but I'm glad I'm not going to have to hear every day from the four letter on the speculation whether or not he's coming back all year. But somehow I'm sure they will be talking about if he's really sure if he's coming back or not.

Posted by: calebt17 | February 2, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Last post was me. lol Dealer made me do it. lol

Posted by: jm220 | February 2, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

You mean I stop reading for a couple days and Political Correctness wins? Stupid job. The downfall of freedom of speech is going to be on my boss's head.

Change the name... that'll be the day. Let me guess, was the runner-up in the name contest "Spartans." Were their any non-Springfield high school names in the discussion?

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | February 2, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping the name would be changed to the Jack Bauers.

And Joe is right... the only way the name gets changed is if the league makes it happen or the fans force Snyder's hand. But since were hooked on the Redskins like crackheads, its up to the NFL to make it happen.

Posted by: Dorf | February 2, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey, if there was only one blog post from Jason per day, I could be an all-star blogger too!

Posted by: Carlos Rogers | February 2, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Hello

Posted by: Anonymous | February 2, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

So we chat for a while about this Redskins-related topic

jason, jason, jason, you HAD to do that to us didn't you? WHY???????? now we got to wait till monday/tuesday to find out if "this" was true or not. we'll be up all night, during SB thinking about "this"...what could it be that you had to call pettibone for?

that is soooooooooo wrong at the most fundamental level.

anyways how's the family doing now? does lauren have help at home? please say yes.

Posted by: dealer | February 2, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

4th, you were 13? dang! you ever run into her?

Posted by: dealer | February 2, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

re - the speculation about Jones/Norv/Garrett/Rivera in Dallas from two posts ago:

Rivera is already a defensive coordinator. The Cowboys can't interview him for a DC job unless the Bears FO gives authorization. With Lovie's contract extension still up in the air, why would the Bears give that authorization? That would be dumb.

If Dallas interviews Rivera for Head Coach, and then tries to sign him as DC, the Bears would probably be owed compensation by the Cowboys. And Jones spouting off in the newspapers about it should be tampering anyway.

Posted by: The Mole | February 2, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Remember I know a guy who knows who knows a guy.Bobby Depaul

Posted by: Old School | February 2, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Blog Quasi-romantic tidbits:

Nickname for jm220 and Lisa, if they ever get together?

Punch'n'Pie.

Posted by: The Mole | February 2, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Depaul to the Skins is probably the rumor that LaCanfora is trying to run down today with Petitbon.

Posted by: The Mole | February 2, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I like it, Mole.

How's about Smack'n'Sunshine?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

That works too, Nate.

By the way, I heard that the groundhog in Pennsylvania this morning was going to say "6 more weeks of winter", but at the last moment saw jm220 lurking behind a nearby tree and blurted out "early spring!" instead.

Posted by: The Mole | February 2, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Rumor has it we are looking to bring back Terry Robiskie to replace the departing Gibbs

Posted by: Vinny C | February 2, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Lovie Smith and Bobby Depaul in DC together has such a nice ring to it.

Posted by: The Mole | February 2, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

LMAO!! The Mole that's just not right. lol

Posted by: jm220 | February 2, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

4th: Of course now that I live in VA they will play in London.. :( That said we're also at Fedex this coming season (the price of failure for both of us this year) - and so will I in my "ginuwine 1990 'fins starter jacket"! I'll look forward to the smack talk from the Lancer fans and $8 beers being thrown at me! :)

Posted by: Redcoat | February 2, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Okay, okay, people, let's calm it down.

Joe Gibbs is not leaving. It just ain't gonna happen.

This is the offseason. It's the only time he can pay a good bit of attention to the NASCAR teams he OWNS, so he's doing that (and the Super Bowl of racing is just a few weeks away). It's the best time to make staff changes, and that's happening, too.

Unfortunately, his family is dealing with a one of his grandchildren's diagnosis of a terrible illness, but he can spend more time with them because it's the offseason.

All these things are happening, yes. But there has been no indication that he's considering stepping down, has there? So let's cool off...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat, did that jacket come with a free pair of Isotoner gloves?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Important info:

Superbowl Site Trojan Aims to Nab Passwords

Caveat Emptor.

Posted by: The Mole | February 2, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I missed out on all this Bobby Depaul stuff, who is he and what's the rumour?

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | February 2, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"Redcoat, did that jacket come with a free pair of Isotoner gloves?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 03:05 PM"

Nice on Nate. LOL. Sadly I bought it in Miami in 1990 but never went into the stadium (I guess that makes me an even more pathetic fan). at least I'll be easy to find uver the pile of trash that I'll get pelted with! Unless the Skins are havbing another 2006 season and I can buy my tickets for $10 or a bag. :)

Posted by: Redcoat | February 2, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

The Mole - Rivera's contract is up at the end of this season - So he can in effect go to the 'girls as a DC.

Dealer - Yes, I ran into her when I was 17 turning 18. We did the lambada for about a year or so on and off, then a light clicked in my head as to why I am who I thought I was (I told you Green's word work with anyhting). Long story short - I turned into a high drive sex addict from 14 through now and am trying to battle this diease. The whole problem came down to my eyes being opened prematurely to what adults do and BAM, you can never come back to childhood. At 1st, I was fine with it, but I realized I couldn't have a 'real' relationship with most people because of the disconnect of romance and/or experice level. This drove me to never date a high school girl (except once) and hang out in adult establishments during those high school years. Then, when I became an adult I felt like I've been one for 10 years and I could never connect with my peers, unless they had the same problems as me. Ok, I put too much out there, but none of you know me (except SMACK). I felt good getting a part of that out since I still deal with this issue during my marriage.

Posted by: 4th | February 2, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to you 4th for admitting that stuff. A big part of dealing with the cr*p we pick up on our journey through life is to first admit it exists. God speed in putting that behind you.

Posted by: Redcoat | February 2, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Adult Establishments meaning GO GOs/Clubs/Bar/Etc. Not a Adult Industry place (just in case your mines were in the gutter)...

Posted by: 4th | February 2, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I missed out on all this Bobby Depaul stuff, who is he and what's the rumour?

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | February 2, 2007 03:09 PM

OldSchool has a friend of a friend or something like that who's not sayin', he's just sayin' -- or something like that.

Posted by: cload and daggar | February 2, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to get you the reference, but with Double Move La Canfora posting his guts out, and no 'deep search' available from MV Dame, it's a lot easier to hope that Old School shows up to repost...

Posted by: cload and daggar | February 2, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Mole, Rivera's contract expires after the season. After the Super Bowl The Almighty Dallas Cowboys can interview for any position they want.

Posted by: Ramo | February 2, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Much respect 4th. There nothing wrong with having a problem and sharing with others brother. Never allow someone to make you feel bad about improving yourself. If they try hit me up and you know what they will get. Where is my hammer?

Posted by: jm220 | February 2, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Two items that LaCanfora forgot to mention here first.

"We spotted Washington Redskins Super Bowl quarterback Doug Williams and former Redskins tight end Doc Walker talking to current Redskins lineman Derrick Dockery. Dockery, a potential free agent in another month, said he is having a blast here and contract negotiations with the team are progressing. "They're working on it," he said with a smile befitting a man about to become quite rich. . . . Two already mega-rich Redskins, wide receiver Santana Moss and tailback Clinton Portis -- both Florida natives and University of Miami products -- have their names attached to several parties this weekend." WaPost 02/02/07

Posted by: The Mole | February 2, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I heard the groundhog popped out, but jm220 was to busy wining and dining Lisa to do anything about it, therefore early spring.....jm220 likes the cold weather.

Posted by: Bob Saget | February 2, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Bob, but Lisa reached out to touch jm220's hand and the spark knocked him all the way to western Pa.

Posted by: The Mole | February 2, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Moral of the story:

If you hate static electricity, pray for an early spring (or smack the groundhog in the back of the head).

Posted by: The Mole | February 2, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Smack'N'Spark?...

Posted by: 4-12 | February 2, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

or...Smack in Spark

Posted by: Bob Saget | February 2, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

pull

Google Bobby Depaul. Connect dots. I posted this last week. I heard from a source like 6 guys removed from him (hence my post I know a guy who, knows a guy etc etc.)

Posted by: Old School | February 2, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I prefer "Smack 'n' Zap".

Posted by: The Mole | February 2, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I really want loco mullin to give us a guest column about the signifigance of Groundhog Day as the only holiday dedicated to the weather. You know, take a break from the local forecast -- accurate and dependable -- and show the personality a little bit. Come on, loco, you can do it!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Nate in the PDX via the BOS via the PDX... were you there for the cartoon terrorists the other day? I'm sure you probably mentioned it, but with JLaC posting his guts out, I can't get caught up.

Posted by: 4-12 | February 2, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

4th, tremendous post up above.

Reminds me what I love best about the blog, the profound camaraderie we've developed. This is the virtual equivalent of a bunch of friends down at the pub after work gabbing away. We cover a lot of ground, from the serious to the silly, but it's almost always in the right spirit. I love this blog.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

4-12, I was in Boston for the great embarassing hysteria. So funny, so sad.

I had a vision of a scruffy teenage kid sneaking into the Vaterland Security war room during the kerfuffle and shouting "Mooninites!" to everyone's consternation. So damn stupid.

Thanks for the atmosphere of constant, oppressive fear, Bushies!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

FRENCH CREEK, W.Va. (AP) -- West Virginia's furriest forecaster
is joining the ranks of the groundhogs predicting an early spring.
Officials at the West Virginia Wildlife Center in Upshur County
say French Creek Freddie didn't see his shadow this morning.
Freddie's prediction is the same as that of at least three other
groundhogs. Pennsylvania's Punxsutawney Phil, Ohio's Buckeye Chuck
and Georgia's General Beauregard Lee didn't see their shadows,
either.
Jimmy the Groundhog in Wisconsin did see his shadow. According
to German folklore, that means six more weeks of winter can be
expected there.
The West Virginia Wildlife Center has been hosting Groundhog Day
festivities annually since 1978. Each groundhog is retired after
about seven or eight years.

Posted by: not loco | February 2, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Nate, was that not sooo Boston tho?

'We let the terrorists through at Logan but we sure blew the crap out of those cartoon billboards.' typical.

Posted by: Jeff Hayes | February 2, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

not loco, thanks, but one followup: is 'retired' a euphemism in that last line?

Hey, how about a little love up here for my Cavaliers, for knocking off Duke last night?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

That's kind of a bum rap, Hayes. I thought those dudes boarded flights (and cleared lesser security) in smaller regional airports and connected in Logan.

But nevertheless I agree that the Boston authorities are a mite overzealous because of the association of the Events with their airport. People's exhibit one being this ridiculous shutdown over a marketing stunt.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't root VA related anything - But 5 TCCCLs to the Cavs for knocking off the annoying Dukies.....

Posted by: 4th | February 2, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Geez, I wish I was from Ohio so I could call myself Buckeye Chuck.

Posted by: charlie | February 2, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

cosmofla and DCLance hit the past two posts indicating they're down in South Florida. Other blog peeps down there?

As mentioned before, making plans to meet up with J-La is a good way to avoid seeing J-La.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Prediction Time:

Colts 27
Bears 17

6'6' rocket-arm QB gets his ring and former Balmer Colts fans scream as one in disgust

Posted by: skinswest | February 2, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that just like modern America where the woman working at Coke gets convicted for stealing their "secret" formula for Pepsi when anyone can get it off the internet? LMAO!

Posted by: charlie | February 2, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

"The West Virginia Wildlife Center has been hosting Groundhog Day festivities annually since 1978. Each groundhog is retired after
about seven or eight years."

"not loco, thanks, but one followup: is 'retired' a euphemism in that last line?"

The press release by "not loco" failed to mention one of the big hits of the festivities each year:

"Festival Stew"

Thank goodness we have better protection laws in Pennsylvania.

Posted by: Phil | February 2, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Look, I'm the farthest thing from a technology person- it's amazing that I've even figured out how to post on a blog (and even know what a blog is). I mean, people now write to each other on their phones (texting?). WTF? But when I saw those little electronic cartoon dudes, I couldn't believe it raised us to Defcon 1. Nate, you said it best: "Thanks for the atmosphere of constant, oppressive fear, Bushies!"

Posted by: 4-12 | February 2, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

...or at least close enough variations of it.

Posted by: charlie | February 2, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey there! I see you guys are having fun with me (and my electric body) in my absence today.....

Posted by: Lisa | February 2, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

naw, there's a little groundhog community down in Sarasota where they waterski, play shuffle board and wear big a** terminator x glasses.

Posted by: not loco | February 2, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I sing the body electric!

Posted by: jm214 | February 2, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Coming back to reality here folks.

Did you see the Usatoday article on Wilbur Marshall? Bummer.

Posted by: charlie | February 2, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Just so you don't get the wrong idea -

I Sing the Body Electric
by Walt Whitman

I sing the body electric,
The armies of those I love engirth me and I engirth them,
They will not let me off till I go with them, respond to them,
And discorrupt them, and charge them full with the charge of the soul.

Was it doubted that those who corrupt their own bodies conceal themselves?
And if those who defile the living are as bad as they who defile the dead?
And if the body does not do fully as much as the soul?
And if the body were not the soul, what is the soul?

(And it keeps going. It's a really long poem.)

Posted by: jm214 | February 2, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

jm214- are you an imposter or is the scale broken?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 2, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Nate, awesome game by the hoos. Held them without a FG for the last 8 and then the kill shot by 44 in OT. Dagger. (Lucky Paulus didn't get sink that 3 in OT. He had a good look at it.)

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | February 2, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Righto, Joe.

jm214 is an imposter! jm220 sets the record straight on the new post.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

yep, I'm definitely an imposter. I only do leg press sets at 475.

Posted by: jm214 | February 2, 2007 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for your comments. I especially enjoyed your posts on Steve Sabol and Richie Petitbon. I wonder what "Bone" thinks of Joe Gibbs's return to coach the Redskins. I wonder what he also thinks about the Gregg Williams-coached Redskin defense. The Redskins never played better defense than Petitbon coached them during Joe's first stint with the team.

Posted by: Rick Gunter | February 2, 2007 8:34 PM | Report abuse

"Grossman is libel to light it up"...

Is he going to write something that's false and defaming?

Posted by: a picky guy | February 2, 2007 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Pettibone should be brought on as the Vice President in Charge of Defense?

Posted by: Rich from Salisbury | February 4, 2007 6:49 AM | Report abuse