Riggins keeps the pressure on

Hall of Fame running back John Riggins didn't let up when the topic of Redskins ownership and management came up on Showtime's "Inside The NFL" on Wednesday night. Dan Steinberg and Rick Maese have the details at DC SportsBog.

"I am saying that I don't think that this franchise can be successful where you have people saying, 'Oh, this person Dan Snyder wants to win. He wants to win.' It's all about priorities. 'What's my priorities? The priority is it's all about me. I have to have my needs met, then I want to make money, and those are one and two, and then I want to win. You can see by the decisions that are made....I don't know if you have agreed with anything I am saying so far, but at this point, I would think you would say, 'Yeah, I'll go along with that.' This person knows nothing about football, absolutely nothing. I don't think they have a clue how a football team comes together, how it works. And yet they are the ones that are basically calling all the shots through a puppet, which is Vinny Cerrato. That is my take on it....I speak for the fans because these are the people that paid my salary for all these years. They are the ones that need to know that this is a bad guy."

By Cindy Boren  |  November 4, 2009; 10:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn says Randle El is primary punt returner
Next: Thomas is maturing -- in his own fashion

Comments

Not the first time Riggo has sounded off on this.

Posted by: edvar | November 4, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

tell us how you really feel Riggo

Posted by: scottmando | November 4, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Danny fires Riggo from his broadcast job. Riggo fires back.

How fun is this?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 4, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Riggo, sort of, but geez what's his beef? Even brownwood sounds more even-tempered. Okay, maybe that's a bad example.

Posted by: League-Source | November 4, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Riggo is correct. I only wish Dan and his boy-toy Vinny would listen.

Posted by: gwelsh | November 4, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: edvar | November 4, 2009 10:14 PM |

Beeps at 10:14 PM? WTF! And for a forkin Riggo alert? Sheesh.

Posted by: ElDrano | November 4, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm glad the Inside the NFL has integrity and extended an offer to let Dan come on the show anytime to counter what Riggo said. Can't wait for hell to freeze over for that one.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | November 4, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I wish we had Riggo back, I miss pounding the ball this dink and dunk sucks!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BleedBurgandGold | November 4, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BleedBurgandGold | November 4, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

And for a forkin Riggo alert? Sheesh.

Posted by: ElDrano | November 4, 2009 10:25 PM

It's breaking news, dude. But you can go back to the other one and ponder whether Randle El should be the punt returner. As for me, I'm breakin' a sweat with excitement over Riggo!

Posted by: League-Source | November 4, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Although I agree with most of his points, Riggins comes off as an idiot. Instead of using this opportunity to voice the concerns of the fans, all that I get is- I hate Dan Snyder. Dan is evil.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 4, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Riggo is right...

Posted by: SKIN4LIFE05 | November 4, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Noting how the Post has suddenly "stretched" that photo of good ol' Snidely Owl and made him look grotesque?

Riggins apparently does have a big ol' axe to grind? Certainly Dan's behavior, his treatment of the fans and players like Lavernus Coles warrants Riggins take. I don't think his "heart is dark". I do however believe he has some serious emotional issues and probably some sort of personality disorder.

Posted by: periculum | November 4, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Al Saunders is OC for the Ravens.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 4, 2009 9:53 PM |

From Wiki:

Offensive Coaches:

Offensive Coordinator – Cam Cameron
Offensive Consultant - Al Saunders

Who to believe - Wiki or the Z Bird? Of course, unlike the rest of us, Z might intend that:

OC = offensive consultant

Posted by: ElDrano | November 4, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

It looks like Riggo is very upset after being fired from Redskins radio station.

He is just going on tangent now. I have reached a point where criticizing Synder is no longer funny.

In the mist of all this we are losing the point how bad is Jim Zorn as a coach. The way how the punting situation is handled, how he is eager to take credit of call for the touchdown pass at the end of the Philly game.

Mr Zorn is more of a "I" person and that is one resonating with the team. I wonder even if he going to get an Offensive coordinator job in the league. His game management is poor, on field adjustments are bad, has not found a way to get the young players involved in the offense.

Look at Philly, their coaches have added plays for their young rookies from their college playbooks to make them productive.

Posted by: dnaik | November 4, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | November 4, 2009 10:33 PM |

Geez. You make it sound like the dude belongs in St Lizzies.

Posted by: ElDrano | November 4, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | November 4, 2009 10:33 PM

Nah, I think he is just mad that Snyder fired him.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 4, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Riggo was money... Just wish he'd a been a little more clear as to how angry the fan base has become. Said Snyder had a dark heart. That's pretty cold. Will we ever win another game????

Posted by: MeatShalom | November 4, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | November 4, 2009 10:33 PM

Nah, I think he is just mad that Snyder fired him.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 4, 2009 10:49 PM |

Isn't he (periculum) refering to Snyder?

Posted by: ElDrano | November 4, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

I was referring to Snyder. The guy is a nut case ... sometimes seems like he (Snyder) believes he is some sort of 30's Jewish Mafioso like Bugsy.

Posted by: periculum | November 4, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | November 5, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Al Saunders is OC for the Ravens.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 4, 2009 9:53 PM |

From Wiki:

Offensive Coaches:

Offensive Coordinator – Cam Cameron
Offensive Consultant - Al Saunders

OC = offensive consultant

Posted by: ElDrano

I was thinking he was an OC, but he was really an OC. My bad.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 5, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Way to tell it like it is, Riggo. Only problem is you shouldn't have mouthed off on Gibbs when he was still here.

What peeople don't realize is that Gibbs did his greatest work turning a bunch of overhyped, overpaid football players into not one, but two playoff teams.

His HoF record speaks for itself as does his not so stellar second stint.

The Skins won't get back to the playoffs again for another 20 years with this owner and his butt-boy wonder Vinny.

Posted by: jsmith33351 | November 5, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

GWilliams' success, Saunders' success; this only screams the disparity in personnel and organization between the Redskins and all other quality teams. Saunders was the perfect OC for JC, but of course the Snyderrato couldn't see that. When JC leaves (I hope not) there are many teams that would love him on their team, Carolina being a prime candidate. For someone to adore the 3 SB trophies in the case, yet have no clue about the type of team that one them speaks volumes about the dysfunction that is the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: pdfordiii | November 5, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

argh!!! people, jason campbell is not a good QB and neither was patrick ramsey for that matter. why do people stick to what they believe in when they've been proven wrong over and over and over and over?!

as far as riggo goes he's absolutely right and the a-holes up here that are claiming that these are sour grapes talking need to research or are just danny's paid pansies cuz riggo has been bashing this org and snyder forever even when he was employed by danny, even when danny added him to the ring of fame...F-U for spreading lies about riggo f'ing a-hole! go eat shti! cuz the skanks just bought themselves another championship and where is steinberg you a-hole?!!!! way, way, way, way in the back letting baseball people handle his team. F-YOU! you don't like people criticizing danny go to ***skins.com!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 5, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse

I may agree with some of his opinions regarding Snyder and Cerrato but I dont believe that he is saying this stuff "for the fans". This is sour grapes for getting fired and is very personal on Riggo's part.

Posted by: paulr40 | November 5, 2009 3:14 AM | Report abuse

i like what haynesworth has done for us...we've given up some big plays in the running game i admit, but our passing defense has been much improved because of the presence of haynesworth (granted everyone of our games has been close, so the opposing team hasn't had to pass alot), but the pocket collapses quicker and we generally get more pressure...but i like to think i've watched every game with a discerning eye, and haynesworth routinely blows up the left side of the opposing offensive line...albeit sometimes fruitlessly (and wrecklessly deviating from Blache's scheme)....and yea i do believe he over exagerates his "injuries" on the field, but when he's in there he's movin' the pile and takin' on 600 lbs of man per play...for me, that makes him golden in my book

Posted by: altarkenton | November 5, 2009 3:35 AM | Report abuse

Hey CLOGGED DRANE-screw you and your impression.
Riggins was the face of the skins for years and you are the I D I O T.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | November 5, 2009 3:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum |

AND YOU TOO IDIOT!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | November 5, 2009 3:37 AM | Report abuse

with reference to SELL THE TEAM chants at home games etc

"Well I'll tell you what, if it was up to me, I think the best way to send your signal is just the opposite of that," Riggins said. "Because all you're displaying is your passion and how much you love this franchise. I would say as much as it hurts, STAY HOME. DON'T GO. That would send a very loud message."

.....original quote from John Riggins....

LISTEN TO THE MAN !!!!!

Posted by: tele1 | November 5, 2009 3:46 AM | Report abuse

Keep preachin' truth Riggo! None of the other former Skins have the stones to speak out against the man who is single-handedly destroying the franchise we love. Keep it up #44!

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 5, 2009 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Riggins has done a hell of a lot more for the Redskins than the little dwarf and his bug-eyed sidekick will ever do.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | November 5, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

"Instead of using this opportunity to voice the concerns of the fans, all that I get is- I hate Dan Snyder. Dan is evil.

Would have been more helpful if he would have spoken intelligently instead of emotionally."

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 4, 2009 10:32 PM

Except that his analysis is dead-on.

What part of what Riggins said don't you agree with and why?

"It's driven all by his ego and everything has to come from him. And I just don't think you can be successful in those situations and when you are dealing with someone with the mindset of a child and yet owns a franchise in the NFL. I think you have some problems there."

Riggo also claimed that Snyder is a "bad guy." I do know that's Snyder has fired a lot of Redskins people (not coaches or players) for no obvious reason. I have also heard that he is an awful boss. But simply suing season ticket holders and the outrageous prices for things at FedEX are enough for me.

Your take?

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 5, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Also, Riggins has criticized Redskins management, including the owner, for years. Has he amped up his criticism? Absolutely. So have we all.

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 5, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Quote: "Riggins is Riggins. I remember when Riggo ripped back at Gibbs and called him "too old and tired" just before he retired, which really incensed Bugel. Riggins is definitely vindictive: Gibbs had told him that he "had lost a step, and seemed old and tired" when Riggins was asked to retire."

Well Gibbs II didn't work either. He (Gibbs) *WAS* too old and behind the times. So is Bugel and I can't figure out why the Skins hold on to him either unless it's out of nostalgia. Obviously the OL material isn't up to NFL quality snuff but you'd think that Bugel could do something with them unless he just can't cut it any longer just like Gibbs. People have to stop living in the past when it comes to the Redskins of the 80's and early 90's. Those teams have NOTHING to do with this current mess of a roster any more that Sonny's losing but exciting teams back in the 60's did to Gibbs I. Riggo is pointing the finger at the only two people responsible for the current roster of losers on the field...Snyder and Cerrato. If Riggo has an ax to grind the media will let him do it in public because of who he is and it's out on the edge of slander which makes it news.

Posted by: bullwinkle1 | November 5, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

AMEN RIGGO!

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | November 5, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I just got caught up on all the recent posts and can't help but feel disgusted at this team right now.

I was/am one of those who has been firmly on the side of those who have said "protest the owner and support the team" but outside of a few solid guys these bums couldn't be more worthless.

JC complaining about the home atmosphere? Trade his a** now! CP excusing Snyder's behavior and acting naive about why fans would resent his favored status? Bench his a** now!

Are these guys that stupid that they have no clue how long we've put up with this s***? It really had very little to do with them up till now at least for me. Now the hate is on in full for me.

I'm creeping toward the opinion that we need a franchisectomy.

Pull up the Mayflower, Danny! You're a worse owner than Irsay ever was! You've got nothing on Modell! Pack these heartless losers up with you and take this hideous excuse for a franchise out to Al Davis land. The two of you and all these rejects would be peas in a pod out in Raiders Nation.

Posted by: LarryBud | November 5, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

For those of you who are too young to remember, Riggo has always been very outspoken and a total wild card. None of the things he's saying now are surprising or out of character for him. And I happen to agree with just about everything he's said so far.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 5, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Can you say sore, has been, disgruntled, employee. He is just mad at Mr. Snyder for firing him and sending him packing to the unemployment line. Be classy Riggins dont burn bridges bro.

Posted by: Incognito00 | November 5, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Incognito00 | November 5, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Riggo is right that team is unlikely to succeed with current mgt., unless snyder changes his stripes. and, what are the chances of that?

Posted by: chris_zz | November 5, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Just exactly what bridges has John Riggins ever cared about burning; dude was one of the first hold outs to hold out for a year, and when he reported to training camp:

"I'm bored, I'm broke and I'm back"

Yeah, you tell him not to burn bridges, he'll ask you where the kerosene is.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 5, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 5, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Preach it brother Riggo!!

Posted by: urallimbeciles | November 5, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Riggins = Sally Jenkins....They sound alike..and they look alike...Lay off the bottle Riggo.

Posted by: jcnjcnj | November 5, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Fellows, please keep your bigotry comments out. This will only help Danny and you will lose any credibility. Let’s keep it about Danny the owner of the Redskins…

He has a dark heart, he treats people badly. The Sean Taylor stuff was also a PR move and Joe Gibbs was involved in most of it.

I don’t think why you guys think we can’t get rid of him - all of his other businesses have failed. Stop spending money on redskins merchandise, stop going to the game, he will go bankrupt within a year, he is losing money in every other business he has gone after. He will be forced to sell….

Let’s start the revolution….

Posted by: capitolteacher | November 5, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE LET CLINTON PASS THIS GUY NEXT YEAR!!

He won't shut up jeez

We know We know

Posted by: drewkinnear | November 5, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

After reading all this nonesense from you people I hope Mr. Snyder - and I do hope and pray - takes the team elsewhere. Where fans will appreciate the first class stadium, first class team and a frist class organization - which includes the owner - willing to do anything in his powere to make of this the most expepsive and profitable organzation. WHICH WE ALREADY ARE.
Snyder will start handing out shirt with the " Fire Fickle Fans" " Fire the Infidels" Mr. Snyder dont need ya'll. If you stop coming someone else will. Snyder makes the team go no you people.

Posted by: Incognito00 | November 5, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

agree with zcezcest1 at the very top. Riggins has lost all credibility with me, especially when he went off on Jason Campbell a few weeks back. in my opinion the riggins show was ok, except when riggins started talking about his house in the hamptons . . . what a dope . . .

Posted by: waltrkm | November 5, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse