Posted at 10:00 AM ET, 12/28/2010

Rob Jackson impresses teammates

By Jason Reid

In practice the past three seasons, outside linebacker Rob Jackson has impressed teammates with his pass-rushing skills.

And Jackson recorded his first career sack in Sunday's 20-17 Redskins victory in
overtime against the Jacksonville Jaguars. His teammates were not
surprised.

"He took advantage of his opportunity," inside linebacker and defensive
co-captain London Fletcher said. "I think he has a great upside, because he
gets off the ball [quickly], he can rush the passer, he has a lot of moves
and he's violent when he's trying to get there. He's trying to get there
with a purpose."

A seventh-round draft pick (242nd overall) in 2008 from Kansas State, Jackson was a defensive end his first two seasons in Washington's former base 4-3 defense. He was switched to outside linebacker in the offseason when Coach Mike Shanahan began the transition to a 3-4 scheme.

Jackson failed to make the opening 53-man roster out of training camp, but he was signed to the practice squad. With Brian Orakpo sidelined because of a groin injury, the Redskins promoted Jackson to the active roster last week. Andre Carter starter in place of Orakpo against the Jaguars, but Jackson played and contributed.

"I always knew Rob's a good player, that's why he's still here," tight end Fred Davis said. "He was on the practice squad, working hard, he came up and helped us."

Jackson enjoyed his experience against the Jaguars.

"I felt real good to be out there playing, and to take part in the victory," Jackson said. "I felt like I had my opportunity. I went hard in practice with it and I went hard in the game."

By Jason Reid  | December 28, 2010; 10:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chris Cooley says he's embarrassed by drops
Next: Clinton Portis says his rehab is ahead of schedule

Comments

As long as Freddie D vouches for him...he's good in my book.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 28, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I just got really scared for the offseason when I read that Moseley article on ESPN.com...he sort of half-jokingly referenced the possibility of the Skins trading for Michael Vick. I'm about 60% certain my head would explode if we were to do something so blatantly reckless...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 28, 2010 7:39 AM |

Vick didn't even enter my mind there. I was sure he was talking about Cork Kolb.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 28, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

1 game makes him the man,right?!? consistancy is key... not sold on robjax yet...practice player to nfl starter is a hugejump...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 28, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

er...Corn Kolb

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 28, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 28, 2010 10:18 AM

Ugh...even worse...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 28, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

No way that the Dog Killer is signed by the Redskins. That is THE ONE move that would cause me to renounce my 40 year fan association with this team.

Posted by: laserwizard | December 28, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

F draft slotting!!

We want a win!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2010 7:46 AM

Yes, yes, yes!!!!

Posted by: wireman65 | December 28, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: laserwizard | December 28, 2010 10:21 AM |

Are you on the Extremeskins blog too? there's a guy on there that calls Vick "Dog Killer" and said the exact same thing on there.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 28, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

p1funk

We have a collection of previously tradeable players that we will end up releasing, or they will just walk from the team: Andre Carter, Haynesworth, perhaps McNabb, Carlos Rogers, Rocky MacIntosh.

So true.

And not moving Andre Carter and AH prior to last year's draft stands as one of the two dumb moves not made by the FO.

Carter was coming off an 11 sack season, had value despite his age, and where he does have a no-trade clause (who does that in football?), I'm sure something could've been worked out to render a pick(s).

4-3 edge rushers always have value.

4-3 edge rushers with a history of not being good 3-4 outside linebackers at age 31 have no value.

The idea to change the very professional and committed Carter into what he proved in San Fran that he couldn't do was a major F up by Haslett & Company.

AH signalling he didn't want to play nose tackle should've been enough for the FO to get him gone.

In his world, the 'I' in his team stands for idiot.

The history of AH's lack of professionalism was enough by itself to have him gone.

But Shanny felt the team had to hold on to him like he was some kind of trump card that proved to be a joker.

Thing is, in both respects, the team--and fanbase--are what got played.

And AH and Carter will soon be ex-redskins like so many other FAs who've come.

And now are gone.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

No to Mike Vick.

And yes, Rob Jackson did bring it on gameday.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 28, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

scamp, you were right the first time...LOL

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 28, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: laserwizard | December 28, 2010 10:21 AM

Please...if AH didn't do it, you're not going anywhere...

And if you do, there's a trashier segment of MD football fans wearing purple that would welcome you with open arms...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 28, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Smashing the Giants on Sunday would make this season well worth it.

We can say we knocked the Giants out of the playoffs.

That's good enough to hold me over to next season.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 28, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

"I always knew Rob's a good player, that's why he's still here," tight end Fred Davis said. "He was on the practice squad, working hard, he came up and ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZzzz

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 28, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Palmer might wind up where ever McNabb doesn't go (Minn. might be the best fit).

But finding the next new starter will be tough--and that's why the upcoming offseason will be so intriguing.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2010 8:21 AM

Agreed, I only see Palmer doing well where there is a top notch Oline, he can throw a great ball.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 10:25 AM

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

iH8dallas

And yes, Rob Jackson did bring it on gameday.

And so, here's the rub: whudda do with RobJax if B Orakpo is ready to play?

I say play them as bookend outside linebackers with limited pass coverage responsibilities.

Let them rush and hit Eli ealry and often.

They might not be Woodley-Harrison.

But if Jax and Orakpo play well together, who says they can't be?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

some mock drafts have us taking a CB, ugh

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 10:25 AM

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I watch all the VaTech games. Huge Hokie fan.

Why not take Tyrod in like the 7th round?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 28, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

And so, here's the rub: whudda do with RobJax if B Orakpo is ready to play?

Let them rush and hit Eli ealry and often.

They might not be Woodley-Harrison.

But if Jax and Orakpo play well together, who says they can't be?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

You release the hounds on Eli.

That was the best the pass rush has looked all season.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 28, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Woodley-Harrison than Woody Harrelson.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 28, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

it was nice to see the pass rush on Sunday for the first time this year, maybe second...

if we go 7-9, we would pick what, 12-15 maybe?

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Whuddya mean 'first time'? I thought we did well vs. Chicago & GB. 4 in each.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 28, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Woodley-Harrison than Woody Harrelson.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 28, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Depends. Are we talking 'Zombieland' Woody Harleson or 'The Cowboy Way' Woody Harrlson?

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 28, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I watch all the VaTech games. Huge Hokie fan.

Why not take Tyrod in like the 7th round?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 28, 2010 10:41 AM

Intriguing...might end up like the '94 draft where the guy we take in the 7th round ends up better than the guy we took in Round 1...

Ugh...just threw up in my mouth a little thinking about the Shuler/Frerotte days...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 28, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

What was the name of that guy that was a monster pass rushing linebacker in the preseason that got injured?? Was it Henson or somebody else???

Posted by: frak | December 28, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Mike Shanahan offers yet another fresh start for Redskins

By Gary Graves, USA TODAY
Updated 8/13/2010 12:11 PM

ASHBURN, Va. — Mike Shanahan is not really known for lavishing praise upon players, so the glowing assessment he offered of quarterback Donovan McNabb after a recent practice turned some heads.
The first-year Washington Redskins coach detailed the six-time Pro Bowler's skills — many of which were on display during the practice — and seemed eager to see what would follow. McNabb, also in his first year with the team, later chalked it up to his growing comfort zone with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan's system, if not his budding relationship with his celebrated head coach.

"I think everybody who watched Donovan through the years knows he's an athlete," Mike Shanahan says. "What separates the really good quarterbacks and the great quarterbacks are people that can make plays off-rhythm. He's been able to do that. He's got the legs to run, he can throw on the run, he can throw deep, he can throw short. At the same time, you've still got to feel comfortable with your system."

*********************************

NEXT!

Posted by: Alan4 | December 28, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 10:25 AM

Doesn't sound that crazy. Kid had a very nice college career,but I would argue that he neither runs nor throws anywhere near as well as Vick. He could be a versatile weapon, but he would be very much a project at QB.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 28, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | December 28, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

That was Henson. Don't know if we IR'd him or cut him though.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 28, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 28, 2010 11:02 AM

Who is this guy? We should get him!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 28, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Tuesday Night Football!! There is a god..

Posted by: frak | December 28, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

"White Men Can't Stand Up to Rosie Perez" Harrellson.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 28, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 28, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

He is a much better passer than Vick was at that point in his career.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 28, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Rosie makes my little white man stand up all the time!! muh-muh-muh-muh-ma-muh..

Posted by: frak | December 28, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

He is a much better passer than Vick was at that point in his career.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 28, 2010 11:06 AM

agreed. Also in an offense that does not really tap into anyone's full potential, worst O-coordinator in college football, VT just has loads of talent in the backfield. I would love to get Ryan Williams, but I think he will gone for us at any level and Shanny doesnt draft high for RBs.

I havent seen enough of Mallet or Locker to discuss either, but there is a lot of hype on both.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

The only QB we take will be andy luck, if we can't get the first overall then we build the lines.

I think we should build the lines n then get our QB but ihave a feeling shanny likes Andy

His offense needs a smart mobile qb, andys all those things

If carolina takes him, we mayyyyy grab a late round qb, taylor would be nice for wildcat

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 28, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | December 28, 2010 11:09 AM

You're on your own there, dude...she's got a nice body, but she's got a face like a pug. Plus her voice would force me to commit a heinous crime against her...the kinda stuff CSI won't touch...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 28, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I dont see the wildcat sticking around all that much, I think there was a huge decline in the use of it this year.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

If we're talking football, I guess I'd want 'Wildcats' Woody Harrelson.

Don't sleep on Christian Ponder in the 2nd round.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 28, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | December 28, 2010 11:09 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 28, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I'd do Rosie. I'd make her call me Billy.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 28, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

If we're talking football, I guess I'd want 'Wildcats' Woody Harrelson.

Don't sleep on Christian Ponder in the 2nd round.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 28, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse
I like Ponder. I think like McCoy, he'll be one of those guys that slips to the 3rd or 4th round.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 28, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

About Taylor,
He's absolutley a project at the NFL level, but I think he's proven in his time at VT that he'll work very hard to improve himself. The guy's an established leader of his team, humble, and stays away from stupidity. I'd rather have the hard-working, hungry kid with a chip on his shoulder than the guy who's been told he's God's gift from day 1.

Posted by: The_Great_Dave_Butz | December 28, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

About Taylor,

Posted by: The_Great_Dave_Butz | December 28, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like Jason Campbell. I guess that would be OK in the 7th round.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 28, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Mallett QB 6'6¾" 238 Arkansas 90 5 31
Christian Ponder QB 6'2" 221 Florida State 72 6 94
Pat Devlin QB 6'3" 225 Delaware 68 7 113
Colin Kaepernick QB 6'4½" 220 Nevada 61 8 136
Ricky Stanzi QB 6'4" 230 Iowa 55 9

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

The problem is us. The fans

The fans won't stand for ponder unless he steps in and wins immediately

Shanny knows our fans are allmost as dumb as synder

We need a top level elite qb for success.

Look at the 5 yrs we spent waiting for campbell to develop

In todays nfl coaches get fired sometimes after the first year

Shanny wants a guy that'll be a starter in the league for a decade, the only guy I see as elite this yr for QB is Andy Luck

The main concern is what's it gonna cost to get the first overall pick

Sadly last yr the rams wnated bradford, this yr the panthers allready got 2 qbs last year, clausen and pike

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 28, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I think we can still grab Mallett in the first round.

Then draft OL/DL

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 28, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Never even heard of the Mizzou kid, looks like a decent qb, be interested in watching him tonite.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Henson is on IR...He'll be bock next yee-ah...

Posted by: frak | December 28, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I think Locker can come in and play immediately.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 28, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Just say no to any more trades with the eagles.

Draft a qb to groom from the second round or later and take our lumps with Grossman or Bulger (Schefter said he's a possibility) for a season while they rebuild - yes I said it. Rebuild, rebuild, rebuild.

Yay to hands of stone getting an int. He's got some runback ability. Too bad they never tried him at punt returns. Oh wait....hands of stone. Doh!

Posted by: skinswest | December 28, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 11:36 AM

Threw out Blaine Gabbert's name on the last thread. Both he and Stanzi play tonight. IMO, Gabbert is the QB MS needs to draft to sit and learn next year and start in 2012.

Not many have him in the top 5 yet, but by draft day will be the #2 QB prospect.

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 28, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | December 28, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

That was Henson. Don't know if we IR'd him or cut him though.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 28, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

He's on the IR, with everyone else.

Bidwell, Josh P

Shane Vereen RB 5'9¾" 203 California 72 7 95
Mikel Leshoure RB 6'0" 227 Illinois 71 8 100
Noel Devine RB 5'7⅝" 177 West Virginia 70 9 104
Dion Lewis RB 5'7½" 195 Pittsburgh 69 10 109

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | December 28, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

That was Henson. Don't know if we IR'd him or cut him though.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 28, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

He's on the IR, with everyone else.

Bidwell, Josh P
Daniels, Phillip DE
Furrey, Mike WR
Golston, Kedric DE
Henson, Robert LB
Horton, Chris S
Kelly, Malcolm WR
Kemoeatu, Ma'ake NT
Landry, LaRon S
Oldenburg, Clint OT
Portis, Clinton RB
Russell, Anderson S
Simpson, Chad RB

Posted by: WishboneJr | December 28, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

frak - gaet to dah choppah!

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 28, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

How about Terelle Pryor? He's probably coming out and will be available in the lower rounds.

Posted by: AhhYes | December 28, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Andrew Jackson OG 6'5" 288 Fresno State 67 6 116
James Carpenter OG 6'4½" 288 Alabama 63 7 131
Nate Potter OG 6'6" 293 Boise State 59 8 143
Justin Boren OG 6'2¾" 318 Ohio State 59 9 144
John Moffitt OG 6'4" 319 Wisconsin 56 10

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"I know this sounds crazy, but what about a project like Tyrod Taylor, runs almost as well as Vick, throws a lot better than Vick...quiet good kid?"

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2010 10:25 AM

Have you seen how well Vick has been throwing the ball this year? Over 63 percent completion percentage, and we're not talking dinks and dunks, either. He's been throwing down field, and putting the ball right on guys. He's making good decisions and, apparently, finally putting in the study time off the field needed to be a top quarterback. If you don't want Vick on the 'Skins because he's an ass, O.K., but let's not denigrate the QB he's turned into this year. My feeling is that he's done his time for the dog fighting, and, if by some chance the 'Skins were to acquire him, that wouldn't stop me from rooting for the team.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | December 28, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Well hey...... Since the President thinks that calling the Eagles is more important than jobs, world peace, or the blown up housing market then maybe signing dog tortured and killer Vick might be worth it - The President then might be inclined to attend Redskins games so he could watch his dog killer hero! As far as Rob Jackson? How many converted DE types who can't cover and who are terrible in space can one team bear? Terrible outside linebacker play is a huge reason for the collapse of the defense this year...

Posted by: egrib | December 28, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Mc5 is on 980 right now and he sounds like a freaking whiny doosh who is struggling to keep up the charade of being the guy that always takes the high road.

He aint fooling me. Anyone else?

He's a terrible speaker and is incapable of putting together a coherent though relative to the accusations and condemnation of the Redskins organization.

He's acting like his agent has a right to say all that crap but refuses to give his opinion on whether he agrees with his loser agent's words or not.

I hate McNabb and he's being exposed for the passive-aggressive jackoff he really is.

His agent is the one who should be ridiculed for getting Mc5 to sign a contract that gives the Skins 100% of the control from right now to the day before the first game of the season.

MCNABB IS A F U C K I N G LOSER!!!!!!!!

Let the Cardinals, Vikes and maybe someone else fight over him and pass us a 5th or maybe a 4th round pick.

Jesus, listen to this guy. What a class A doosh!

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 28, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

FIRST, you can stop worrying about Vick. Eagles will sign him and if they didn't; he would not come here to a rebuilding team.

SECOND, Luck is supposely a once in a decade type guy; no one is going to trade that pick (assuming he even comes out).

THIRD, currently there are 11 teams with worse records than ours. Of those, the Panthers, Viks, 49ers, Cards, Bills & Browns need a franchise QB. Forget about a first round QB and focus on a NT. There might be a development QB in the second round. I like Taylor too, but think he's too short.

FOURTH, Forget about getting anything much for McNabb. Some of our fans may not respect Shanahan, but the GMs around the league do; and MS has already put the report card on Donovan out there for all to see.

FIFTH, I was at the game Sunday and thought that Heyer played well (Jacksonville is weak at the ends though). It will be real interesting to see how he plays against the Giants. With so many holes, it would be nice not to worry about filling RT.

Posted by: Skin4Life1 | December 28, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I love the discussion about draft picks and a QB. A great O-line can make Rypien an MVP, can make Jay Schroeder a winning QB, Doug Williams a superbowl MVP, Timmy Smith a stud (for a few games at least), resurrect the carriers of various running backs and make little know backs effective (see above reference). Why the hell would you want to pick a QB with a top 15 pick? Get some big uglies and lets get back to a little smash mouth, we're going to run it down your f'n throats and you're not going to touch our QB football!

Posted by: onmywayout | December 29, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

If we're selecting in the middle of the 1st and 2nd rounds - how about C/G Pouncy with the 1st round pick and QB Kellen Moore with the 2nd round pick?

Posted by: coparker5 | December 29, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse