Rock Cartwright's Special Teams Report

Rock Cartwright, as he does each week, shared his thoughts on the state of the Redskins' special teams and what to watch for from the Cowboys. The first time Washington played Dallas, he said the Cowboys didn't do too much on teams that the Skins have not seen before.

"It was nothing really new," Cartwright said. "They pretty much stayed to what we thought they were. They've got a hell of a player in [safety] Keith Davis and [Kevin] Burnett, a linebacker who plays on punts. They've got guys who can make plays, and I'm sure they'll come in with a full head of steam."

The Cowboys are without two of their big return threats, however. RB Felix Jones still has not returned to practice, and CB Adam ("The Former Pac-Man") Jones was suspended again. Cartwright believes the loss of Pac-Man is huge from a teams standpoint.

"Pac-Man is a very dangerous returner," Cartwright said. "His change of direction is remarkable. I've never seen a guy who can change direction so fast. But they've got a guy there in Patrick Crayton who is dangerous as well and he's very quick. You've got to be careful if you have a bad punt because he usually tries to pick it up and make a play on it. "

He said special teams coach Danny Smith focused on many of the same fundamentals this week that he normally does.

"He always makes sure we've got our coverage lanes on punts, that we're getting all our blocks and we're in control. We had that punt blocked against Pittsburgh and we're working on our vertical sets to make sure I call the right call, and make sure I call it loud enough so everyone can hear all the little things."

Cartwright said the Redskins failed to adjust when the Steelers put four men on one side on that blocked punt. He is responsible for setting those protections and making the calls to the rest of the team.

"I don't know if all the guys heard me or if there was a miscommunication, or if there was one guy who didn't redirect," Cartwright said. "We've just got to make sure we all get redirected, and if we do that we'll be okay."

...

I meant to post this yesterday and was derailed by an unexpected Loseable Type moment....Steinberg ran into DeAngelo Hall at Verizon the other night (Hall's repping three sports -- Skins, Wiz and TB).

On Talking Points Thursday afternoon, Kornheiser and Wilbon talked about the Cowboys and TK recalled his first impression of Hall, which came last year in a "Monday Night Football" pregame meeting.

And evidently T.O. decided to respond to Smoot's comments (courtesy of BogBoy)....

If you're planning to come to DC for the weekend, note that the G-20 summit may gum up traffic (yes, I know; how can you tell?)

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 14, 2008; 8:08 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Special Teams Will Take on New Look
Next: Zorn Focuses on Third Downs and Red-Zone Offense

Comments

FIRST, T.O. is a punk.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | November 14, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

SECOND, The weatheristas continue to stick by their prediction of a cold, breezy Sunday night..

This is REDSKINS weather. Too bad for the bubblegirls.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | November 14, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Shame on you, TK, for putting the Dauphine on the spot like that (around the 5:00 mark).

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 14, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

The Skins biggest fan Mike Golic picked us to lose again this week. I love it when he does that cus he almost always ends up being wrong.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | November 14, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

F Golic...stupid fat @ss...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 14, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why anybody suits up with the loss of, Leigh "it takes 5 people to make up for me" Torrence!!!!

Posted by: Lacantwrite | November 14, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

"...as for myself, I don't expect to get any yards on kick returns Sunday night, without Leigh in there. I mean, there's just no chance... it would be ridiculous for me to even try.

"I can fair catch kickoffs, right?"

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 14, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LittleSoren | November 14, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence was just named Secretary of Defense by Mr. Obama.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 14, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

This just in-- Leigh Torrence picked up on waivers by the Vatican. In the running for Pope and possible sainthood. (Get it... sainthood? [rimshot here])

Posted by: LarryBud | November 14, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!
BIG TIME STUFF!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 14, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Oddly enough road teams have been winning a lot on sunday and monday nights, oh yeah thursdays too!

Posted by: Dfan | November 14, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

"I've been away for a while, and before I left I says to my friend, I says, "if the Skins make any personnel move, any move at all, I sure hope they don't get rid of Leigh Torrence." That's what I says all right, and sure enough, what do they do? They get rid of Leigh Torrence. What, I ask you, what are we going to do now? Rock is putting up a brave front, but he knows the deal. The season's lost."

LMAO!

Posted by: HighPlainsDrifter | November 14, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm. I thought the special teams were taking on a whole new look now. But I guess Rock is just keeping all those obviously necessary scheme and coverages changes really close to the vest. Let the Cowgirls think its just "business as usual" as we search for answers.

Posted by: HighPlainsDrifter | November 14, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse