Cartwright Scouts the Special Teams

The Rock Cartwright Special Teams Breakdown is here to stay (although I dang near forgot to check in with him this week). We don't just do offense and defense around here. This is NFC East football, people. Teams matters.

Philly is another formidable opponent on teams. The Eagles have a strong rep on teams, and have for years. Here's Rock's take:

"Against these guys you have to prepare for everything. I know they've started a game off before with an onside kick, so you have to prepare for that. Their blocking schemes on kickoff returns, we really have to study the tape. We've looked at the tape from this season, last season and the year before because they're really complex.

"They're a tough team, period, but on special teams they fly around, they're real quick. They cover kicks really well. [David] Akers has a good leg, the punter gives them a lot of time to cover. They're a real good special teams unit."

Cartwright said the team reviews every scheme the Eagles have used against them the past three years. "If you kind of know what to expect, then you're not going into the game blind," he said. The Eagles regularly change the blocking scheme on their wedges, Cartwright said, and use different players to kick in, or alter who they double team. The Eagles also are more prone to go for a block on a punt than most other teams.

"They're real aggressive and physical," he said. "We have to try to stay on our blocks a little bit longer. We really have to prepare for this match-up."

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 3, 2008; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How Skins Prepare for a Game
Next: Redskins-Eagles Preview; Zorn's Take

Comments

Darn, new posted . . . .

This is crazy people. I'm only reading on here about all the accolades that the Skins are getting from the "experts." I don't mean to be pessimistic or a nervous nellie, but the Skins are not as good as everyone thinks they are. They have only outscored their opponents by a total of 5 points this season. Yes, they have looked good at times, but they have also made plenty of mistakes.

Everyone talks about how StL, Det, and Cle are automatic. This ain't college. As far as I know, the Redskins aren't paying the Rams to come to FedEx. The Rams are dangerous, especially with a brand new head coach, just like every other NFL team. And at some point, the Browns will figure this thing out and start looking like last year's team.

Yes, the Skins are headed in the right direction, and I love Jim Zorn and the things he says about the mentality of the team. But it's too easy to let up and for us, as fans, to drink the Kool-Aid.

Remember: One loss this Sunday, and the Skins are tied for last in the division.

Don't hate. Just tryin' to stay medium.

HAIL!

Posted by: Good2bOK | October 3, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Good2bOK | October 3, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

***
alex, hopefully you were joking... the fudge-enrobed items, pizza and beer are among the game day meals of choice for many members of this blog community, not of the players.

Mmmm, beer...

Hold up, what?

Friday?

Time for TCCLs?

T-minus two days and four hours 'til kickoff... tick tick tick... can't get here quickly enough...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 3, 2008 9:13 AM

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 3, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

also, alex, Sean Taylor died a few days before our final regular-season loss, that awful game against the Bills.

His injury certainly had something to do with the three losses prior to that...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 3, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Have we talked about Springs in the past day? Aside from that cryptic "the light is fading" comment from Zorn, do we have any idea if he's going to be in the lineup Sunday? I don't want to go into this game without Shawn... I guess we'll see if he can practice today?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 3, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what Zorn meant about the light fading.

I know Springs is getting on in years (as far as football goes) but that seems pretty odd for a coach to say that.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 3, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what Zorn meant about the light fading.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 3, 2008 9:35 AM

He meant the light is fading on him playing this week, not that he is old or almost done.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 3, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I hear springs is listed as doubtful on the radio shows. I think Smoot can take his place on Brown, but if 24 is gonna do this song and dance again we need to look at activating another CB on the team in place of depth at other positions, sadly I think the only spot we are deep at is DLm, and I like that rotation they got going.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 3, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Cheyenne, I think he meant something along the lines of "the window of opportunity is closing for Shawn to demonstrate his ability to play Sunday," but he got all poetic on us... don't get me wrong, as an English major type I appreciate it.

Still getting a handle on Zorn, who as a quote generator is just so very, very different from Gibbs. Love everything so far, though. Refreshing, like.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 3, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I remember when the faithful Hamsters were lucky to get a thread every couple of days or so... I can't keep up with all of this.

Cindy, are you actually paying Jasno to do this now?

Posted by: Dorf | October 3, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I was able to watch the game live for a change and was obviously happy with the outcome.

Casey Rabach owes me two remote controls. I lost them both on those two touchdowns that came back.

If anyone sees him he owes me $26.00

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 3, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

His injury certainly had something to do with the three losses prior to that...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 3, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I thought ST died after the 2nd loss. Try to block those times out of my mind.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 3, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Is Doughty still #1 on the depth chart?

I know you shouldnt lose your job due to injury/illness, but Horton has a nose for the ball. I can't imagine that is all luck out there.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 3, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

C'mon guys, Shawn Springs said earlier this week that he wouldn't miss an NFC east game.......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 3, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Got to wonder how much traffic and revinue this blog generats for the post.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 3, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Cheyenne - did you literally lose the 2 remote controls, flying from your hand into some 4th dimension, or do you still have the pieces of them handy? You can turn those in for bonus points, ya know.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 3, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Shawn! Move toward the light...!

Posted by: Good2bOK | October 3, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Haze, I like the mindset but his body may have other ideas

Posted by: alex35332 | October 3, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Note to Goodtobeok2: You're right on with your post the skins are dominating no one,and i'm sure the vets on this team are not letting their 3-1 record go to anybody's head Philly as i stated earlier this week is a desperate team,they can ill afford to lose and go to 2-2 they are looking to make a statement. Brian Westbrook as injured as he is will play,trying to give the Eagles an advantage so we had better be ready.The Rams,Browns,and Lions are all "trap" games so even if we win Sunday those aforementioned squads will be waiting to ambush us,the skins need to stay focused.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 3, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I agree. Everyone needs to settle down and take it one game at a time. It's a long season and many things can happen. So calm down and let the team play 'em one at a time.

Posted by: blackwellj | October 3, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I loved the post game analysis about Horton. Romo was thinking "new guy comes in game, let's pick on him. Ooops, I just threw a pick."

Posted by: Dorf | October 3, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I thought I read somewhere that Akers had a case of the yips on FGs, is that not the case?

Love that Rock said "we really have to prepare for this match-up" implying that some other teams' special teams don't really have to be prepared for. But I do think this is consistent with the theme of giving the Eagles plenty of respect -- we've heard it all week, going back to Fletch on Monday.

Speaking of which, Good2bOK, I don't think the coaches and players are taking things as lightly as many of us are. And I agree that in the big scheme of things this team hasn't done diddly poo yet. But come on, dude, we're fans, we're supposed to be giddy the week after beating our biggest rival!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 3, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Greg Blache is a great quote machine as well. Love this one:

"For me, you either win or you lose; you don't get second place because you had great stats....I've been around a ton of guys that will just sit and spout their statistics. Drives me crazy. It's meaningless."

Posted by: Markin21132 | October 3, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Im just glad I wasnt petting my dog when Rabach screwed up.

I miss my other dog

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 3, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Anyone have any word on the situation with Carter. He hasnt been suiting up this week apparently some very iomportant family issue. Hoping everything is all ritght with him, as our certified ace pass rusher where gonna need him to get to McKnee injury, given the time he will pick apart any defense.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 3, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

blackwellj ,

If you think this is bad, you should see it when the Redskins are losing.

Its like rats abandoning a sinking ship.

Posted by: Dorf | October 3, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Well played - Cheyenne - that made MY friday.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 3, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I can never believe that Gregg Blanch is as old as he is, same with Zorn. You see them talk and watch them on the news, they both seem 10 years younger.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 3, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Vinny said Springs is a game time decision. If we had to activate another CB who would you go with from our current squad or would you look for a FA?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 3, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Cant put that on Rabach, the refs f-ed that up. Zach Thomas admitted that he simply slipt and fell when rabach was called for holding on the play where portis scored.
One of my favoirte aspects of this team is that they have a vetran player(often times a former probowler) at just about every position, with the exception of QB and safty(although i consider LL to play like a vet, he plays well beyond his years). Having those kind of vetrans that ghuys that have been here ansd seen these things before will prove to be sop valuable down the streatch and in sitations like the one this weekend. We have every right to be riding high after the last three games but there are gonna be guys in the locker rooms and at every position meeting reminding younger guys of the work that still has to be done and how going to Philly will be equally as physical as any game they have played before.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 3, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

+++...Post Practice Film
Weights and Treatment
Meetings
5:30-7 - Dinner (Coaches Only)"

Wel there's your problem. Somebody forgot to feed the team.

Posted by: Corkczar | October 3, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Rabach got the "Irving Twilight Zone" treatment..But Philly is as physical as any team in the league, and as any old fan will tell you, all teams are vulnerable to injuries which can send a season to oblivion, so keep it in perspective-Hang Tough and Go Skins!!

Posted by: frak | October 3, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

From Yahoo:

Some 30 years ago, under a beautiful blue sky on a remote lake near Seattle, then-Seahawks quarterback Jim Zorn had taken his future wife, Joy, out on a boat. As Joy recalls, the moment was at the edge of “really romantic” when Zorn leaned over to say something to her.

“I’m there on the boat, no purse, nothing, and Jim says, ‘Joy, I hate to tell you this, but you have really bad breath,’ ” Joy said. “I have no mints, nothing I can do about it. It ruined the whole evening. I’m like, ‘Gee whiz, you could have given me some mints or offered me some gum or just not say anything’ ”

__

I thought it was pretty funny.

Posted by: joeblazin | October 3, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The eagles are one team where springs isn't AS important b.c they don't have that one big WR that will kill you, like TO or Boldin. The rook, jackson, is dangerous, but springs wouldn't have been on him anyway apparently. Will be interesting to see if curtis makes his debut or not.

Posted by: WrongDog | October 3, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I dont think we are overlooking the iggles. We know their place, we know they are tough. Zorn is right on the mark about keeping it 'medium'.

Thats what I see about this team this year, quiet confidence. Gibbs gave us fortitude, Zorn gives us hope. They are vets, they needed a good scheme that wasnt predictable.

The better Zorn does this year the worse Gibbs and Saunders outdated way of doing things looks. Maybe we didnt squeak into the playoffs last 2 of 3 years, maybe we were held back.

Either way, I know it feels D@mn good to know your team isnt going to kill themselves with stupid plays and will press on offense to score points...

BTW Go Good Counsel... Boo Dematha

Posted by: Zeebs | October 3, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

does any one know if kevin curtis is going to play for the eagles?
2 quick and small wrs means a lot of zone coverage. I am more worried about that than springs being out.

Posted by: theFreshinAU | October 3, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse