Rocky McIntosh Sounds Like He's Out For The Season

Rocky, who had a nice season starting for the first time, will likely need surgery from what Coach Joe said. Did not sound good. They have good linebacker depth, however, with rookie H.B. Blades and valuable veterans Randall Godfrey and Khary Campbell.

If you made me guess, considering they are playing the NFL's best running team on the road next, I would think Godfrey would see a lot of action in Rocky's spot. He's a physical, experienced LB who excells against the run. He's slowed with age but would seem to be the guy to lean on next week.

Rocky had a history of knee injuries in college - several teams red-flagged his medical condition entering the draft and viewed him as a risk - but when healthy he is very athletic, can make plays and was getting better in coverage. Losing Sean Taylor and Rocky McIntosh - two young playermakers - is a big blow.

Coach Joe said Todd Yoder's knee injury does not appear to be serious. He also said that Jason Campbell's knee is evaluated daily and there remain no plans to place him on injured reserve at this point.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 17, 2007; 5:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Afternoon (Barely) H-Back
Next: ROCKY - TORN ACL and MCL

Comments

Darn it

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 17, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

With all the adversity this team has faced this season, I see no point in panicking now. Yet another starter lost to injury? Keep rollin'.

What a year.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 17, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

>>> "PDiddy - You're going to eat Wallabies???"

kost, no, mate. The yogurt isn't made from Wallabies. It's made from Kangaroos. But it's made by a bunch of 'Mericans down in Godless San Francisco, and they can't tell the difference.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 17, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

We knew this risk with Rocky when we drafted him. Still, not clear what this means to his career. It has been an outrageous year for losing top players for this team. Our top draft picks from the past 4 seasons #21, #22, #17 and #52.

Gulp.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 17, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Bugger!

Posted by: kost52 | December 17, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

No surprise, another season ending injury. Oh well, they seemed to play solid without him in there. At least he played for almost the whole season before getting injured. By the way, did anybody else notice "besides Madden" that Tentative Torrence was playing scared even though he was giving like a 15yd cushion? What the heck was that about?!

Posted by: ga8085 | December 17, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

PDiddy - That's alright then, Kangaroo is nice, but I haven't tried Wallaby, although I can't see it being too different.

Posted by: kost52 | December 17, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

What does "zcezcest1" mean?

It's been a crazy year. Sean's murder, obviously. But beyond that, the injuries to 2/5-3/5 of the offensive line (depending on the week), the starting RB, QB, WRs, DLs, LBs, and CBs.

The only thing we haven't lost is our kicker and punter. If Shazam or Frosty get hurt, I think I'll go hide under a blanket until the season is over.

This team really does deserve a lot of credit for coming out to spank the Bears and Giants. From a strategic and tactical playcalling perspective, I think the offensive staff has been consistently outcoached nearly all year. But the whole team (and staff) has done a fantastic job of overcoming adversity to still play meaningful games in December.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 17, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Do we know what he's actually done to his knee? Is it as bad as an ACL, which could have him out for most of next season as well??

Posted by: kost52 | December 17, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what else???? Hope it's not an ACL! We need that kid, I hope Godfrey is ready for the challenge!

Posted by: redryan400 | December 17, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I was impressed with blades last night. I feel a lot better about losing rocky, knowing blades, and to a lesser extent, khary campbell and godfrey are there to fill in.
F the vikings
F the saints
Hail to the Redskins!

Posted by: puttinforbird | December 17, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

ACL would not keep him out at all next season. It takes 9 mos to recover from an ACL reconstruction. Carson Palmer killed his knee in early Jan, and was back by Aug. (I'm also speaking from experience here.)

Hopefully, however, it's just his meniscus, and scoping that out would probably keep him out for a month (which may or may not be thru the end of the season).

Posted by: aliza | December 17, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Another new post - the worst possible news for Rocky - probably gone for all of 2008.

Posted by: tafka | December 17, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

"Rocky had a history of knee injuries in college - several teams red-flagged his medical condition entering the draft and viewed him as a risk"

My name is Jason La Canfora and I like to insinuate.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 17, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Barno:

Can I send you a DVD? You are nuts.

Posted by: cleary900 | December 17, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Cleary clearly can't argue the point, so he/she resorts to calling me nuts. I'm not motivated in any way, shape, or form over a dvd Cleary, you clearly need to give up on that presumption.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 18, 2007 2:08 AM | Report abuse