Rogers, Portis, Landry, Sellers, Fletcher Among the Missing

The players missing from today's organized team activity were cornerback Carlos Rogers, running back Clinton Portis, cornerback Kevin Barnes, safety LaRon Landry, fullback Mike Sellers, linebacker London Fletcher and wide receiver James Thrash.

Barnes, a third-round pick from a Maryland, has the flu. His 103-degree temperature kept him inside Monday. Rogers also had an illness.

"I talked to London today, but I couldn't get a hold of anyone else," Coach Jim Zorn said. "We'll run them down and see what they're doing. Everyone's got a plan. They know that OTAs are today and this week and next week. Everybody has a plan about it, I'm sure, but I'm not concerned that, 'Oh, my gosh, there's a problem here.' "

Portis, Landry, Sellers, Fletcher and Thrash all missed the OTAs in early May. Rogers attended last month's session, but was slowed by a swollen knee.

"He was one of the surprises," Zorn said. "I don't know if he has something going on because he doesn't miss. I'll have to research that and see what's cooking."

Fletcher's absence meant that he was not able to work with strongside linebacker/defensive end Brian Orakpo.

"Talking with [Fletcher], he's going to be ready," Zorn said. "As far as communication goes and camaraderie goes, he's missing something."

By Zach Berman  |  June 1, 2009; 3:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kelly on Knee, Pressure to Perform
Next: Moss Seeks Improvement

Comments

1rd

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 1, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

As far as communication goes and camaraderie goes, he's missing something- Zorn.

Ah yes the annual OTA make out party.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 1, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow a sudden flurry of posts from all and sundry!

Posted by: periculum | June 1, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I'd be the best on Redskins Insider.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 1, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

kinda far away.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 1, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

God, I can't take the oppressive negativity from this Zach Berman. I want him off the beat ASAP.

All this focus on the seven players who AREN'T there today for this critical day of OTA's could be spent talking about the eleventy hundred players who ARE there.

Sheesh. It never ends, does it? Enough already with the dramatics, Berman!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 1, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

now Nate would be a great beat reporter.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 1, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

now Nate would be a great beat reporter.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 1, 2009 3:54 PM

He's too negative. Not as bad as Cork, but did you just see his negativism about Zach Berman? We don't need that up here.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 1, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Research and see what's cookin"? Try the Food Channel

Posted by: ElYeah | June 1, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

But he would have the best mutton chops in the press box.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 1, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

F you, Alex.

Just kidding.

Maybe it will be blogging by committee, or should I say maybe it will officially be blogging by committee, since for some time now (I'd say nigh on two years) the posts have come from JLa, Jasons' editor, Emilio, Tenorio, and others.

And the pic at the top can be a big group photo of the whole Redskin gang. Or some such as.

Steinz ought not give up his niche as the catchall for weird/offbeat/obscure/silly/funny/not-oppressively-sportsy stories from across the entire DC-area sports spectrum. Or maybe he ought. I dunno.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 1, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I personally thing Steinz should be hosting a TV show. Like a sunday morning sports comedy show.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 1, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | June 1, 2009 4:03 PM

I think he ought to get a job as a dog walker. I've never detected that he had any talent for anything else.

Post keeps trying to make him a star but they can't find anything he writes that anyone wants to read.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 1, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

So how will Vinny and Larry react to JLC's promotion to the NFLN? How will they spin it? What will Larry do to fill those 5-19 minutes every show?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 1, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

The only notable missing is Sellers. I guess he does want a new contract, huh?

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 1, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I agree.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 1, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

trade all of them.

Posted by: my92agsr | June 1, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I agree.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 1, 2009 4:09 PM

Finally! Someone has posted a positive comment! Whoop-de-doo! Now that Jasno's gone there's a whole new tone to the blog.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 1, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Vets with a certain amount of service to league/team should be exempt from these lame OTAs anyway. So dumb....let the youngens get reps...and the oldster recharge. If a vet feels like he needs to be there to stay competetive...fine...but a dude like Fletcher gains nothing from OTAs....so dumb.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 1, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332

LoL. I hate on Larry from time to time too. I still think, however, Redskins Nation has better coverage. Perhaps they should rename this blog to "Redskins Outsider".

Here comes the flaming...

Wait for it...

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait for it............

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 1, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | June 1, 2009 4:08 PM

Is this a real question? This is a great victory for Redskins Park. They've been wanting Jasno gone for a couple of years now. The only thing that could spoil it for them would be if the Post named Sally Jenkins the new beat reporter.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 1, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher could run the OTAs. As good of a 'coach on the field' as there is in this league. Wouldn't be bad for him to be there, getting other guys into position. But do OTAs help him get ready? Not a chance

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 1, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I will say that I love my job, love my University of Maryland education, and love my six figure W-2 from 2008.

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 1, 2009 11:08 AM |

Man, we've got that in common! I had a six-figure W-2 in 2008. My six figures were $7965.47. What were yours?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 1, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | June 1, 2009 4:13 PM |

Why do the coaches seem to think that it's important for all the players to be there -- so much so that they put incentives in their contracts for participating?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 1, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

LoL...

$8k over 12 months? Those are Larry Michael rates, lol.

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 1, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

jmicrodoc--When you own your own company, you don't get a W-2. W-2's are for losers, slaves to others -- people who have to take orders, instead of people who give orders. Get my drift? None of that mess for me.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 1, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Wow, some go-getter is sure putting up the posts!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 1, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Talent...don't give me a heart attack like that. Sally as beat writer? Next up...Peter King as Larry Michael's replacement.

-----------------

Posted by: talent_evaluator

I'm in sales bro, with a home office that allows me to troll on Redskins Insider, like the rest of you foolz. Managing accounts across a large territory is similar to running your own business. But yah...I do take the occasional "order" from senior management, lol. I wonder what the employees of your company would think if they knew you thought of them as losers, slaves, and order takers?

...spoken like a true leader / tenured business owner...

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 1, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow, who would have thought? This great nation of ours was built on the backs of slaves, losers, and order takers. God Bless America!

Posted by: 72Redskins | June 1, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I know a lot of these veterans can do without a few "organized team activities" but the thing that concerns me is Zorn's obvious lack of knowledge about their absence and their reasons. He should be keeping on these guys to come to practice. It sets an example for the rest of the team and it does promote teamwork. The more I see and hear of Zorn the more I think he is some cream puff players' coach. He let Portis use him as a doormat last season and then in the offseason he showed how little power he has with the whole Jason Campbell trade fiasco. I'm not concerned about the players who miss the OTA's; I'm concerned about the coach who doesn't have a handle on things.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 1, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse