Rogers ready for whatever comes next

A year ago, Carlos Rogers was benched in the Redskins' 14th game of the season, leaving the starting cornerback jobs to veteran Shawn Springs and newcomer DeAngelo Hall. This year, Rogers was benched during a win over Denver, leaving Hall, second-year man Justin Tryon and veteran Fred Smoot to handle the Broncos' receivers. Rogers's totals, through 14 games this year: 34 tackles, nine passes defended, and not a single interception.

All the while, Rogers knew this: At the end of the 2009 season, he is a restricted free agent. The Redskins can keep him if they're willing to match an offer put forth by another team, but they could also let him go. That sort of flux colors the latter part of Rogers's fifth year with his only NFL team, the team that selected him in the first round of the 2004 draft.

"Waiting to see what happens," Rogers said earlier this week. "That's my only anticipation. Just waiting to see what's going on around here. There's so much stuff with the league, the CBA, my contract year. That's the only thing I'm doing, sitting and waiting patiently.

"I've got two more games to put out there on tape what I can [so other teams can see him]. Other than that, it's all out of our control. Last year, it was a situation where I wasn't happy about what was going on, the way I was treated. This year, kind of fell in the same thing, but now I'm back starting. Like I say, I'm just going to stay calm and not mess it up with myself and things I say, or whatever I thought, good or bad. Just trying to stay calm, and just try to play football."

That appears to be difficult for Rogers, who is an expressive sort who has often offered his honest thoughts about his own situation and that of the franchise that employs him. This week, he defended his record, saying that the fact that he doesn't have a pick - "It's strange," he said - doesn't mean he can't do his job.

"I haven't been a corner [known] more [for] interceptions," Rogers said, and indeed, he has just six picks in 64 games, and over the previous two seasons became known more for dropping balls than intercepting them. "I've had a lot of break-ups. I haven't had a receiver just kill me, either. I think I've been a solid corner that, if I can be matched up with the No. 1 guy, I can take that guy.

"D. Hall [is] on the other end. He's a guy that he'll get the interception. Two people do it different ways. I do more. I can tackle. I can mirror a guy and put him out. I can't make the big interception or whatever, but that receiver won't catch the ball."

That will have to be the case Rogers makes to his next team, whether it's the Redskins or someone else. Should Washington elect to part ways with Rogers, it would be left with Hall, Tryon - who has increasingly played in nickel situations, but has rarely taken an outside receiver - and the aging Smoot, who will be 31 when next season begins. New general manager Bruce Allen and whoever the coach is - assuming it's not Jim Zorn - will have some evaluating to do in the defensive backfield.

"Like I say, I try to display," Rogers said. "I try to put stuff on the field to first of all stay here if they want me here. If not, I still got to go interview for a lot more teams. That's my main goal is to try to [that] here. This is where I'm employed right now. If Mr. Snyder or Bruce or whoever's involved in the decision-making next year [wants me here], I'll be here."

By Barry Svrluga  |  December 26, 2009; 10:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Robinson preps for Dallas' rush...just in case
Next: Haynesworth is scheduled to start

Comments

"Last year, it was a situation where I wasn't happy about what was going on, the way I was treated. This year, kind of fell in the same thing."

You see Carlos...that's one of the problems with going out on the field and fuking-up your assignments, biting on double moves and droping easy interceptions all over the field. It amazes me that you still think you deserve better treatment.

Buh-bye D bag!

Posted by: edvar | December 26, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Re: F Blache!

the day blache went off on strawberry shortcake when all she was doing was her job and asking a normal question is the day all alarm bells went off. years before i had seen GG in worse position and strawberry shortcake asked much harder questions and he handled it like a professional. this dude...he is what he is...

also not really taking haynesworth's side...i could care less about a multimillionaire's hurt feelings...but blache needs to go. haynesworth is right about the talent on D...

f7vb3l

Posted by: dealer1 | December 26, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"If Mr. Snyder or Bruce or whoever's involved in the decision-making next year [wants me here], I'll be here."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
See ya with another team next season then C. Rog. Fust.

Posted by: hbu_dog | December 26, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth acknowledged he was "about 20 minutes late getting to the meeting. I was late. I'll pay the fine. The thing that doesn't make any sense to me, they're talking about disciplinary action because I was 20 minutes late? I'm not going to throw anybody under the bus, but I've seen guys two hours late, show up right before practice on a normal day, and they get to do everything and [the coaches] just respond with, 'Whatever.' This is like the second time I've ever been late. In the preseason, I fell asleep and was like a couple of minutes late for a meeting. This is the second time I've ever been late for a meeting and I get sent home."

WOW, THERE IS NO WAY BLACHE IS BACK NEXT YEAR! IMO, I'm happy about it... This D never attacks. We have better success with a standard 4 man rush... The only D coach who keeps CB's 10 yds off the ball on a 3rd and 4.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 26, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

This is Dallas week and this ding-a-ling is talking about his contract! To make it worst, he admits that he "hasn't been known for his interceptions". He also throws D-Hall under the bus.

I hope he's matched up against Miles Austin.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 26, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Albert Haynesworth, you should not be a redskin.

Admit it, homie.

You took the money and couldn't run that far as you ran out of breath.

So take your 48 million sheets of tissue paper and go somewhere wipe your azz.

And cry 'til you eyes are titan blue.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 26, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

MOE,

I do get the complaints about Big Al taking plays off. However, that was a known quantity. This team said they would make adjustments for his style of play. They have not made any adjustments. Blache is an ol' crotchetty terd. He has no respect for others and does not like to be questioned. He ripped blondie to pieces and is the only DC in the league to not speak to the media! Good Riddance! Jerry Gray, welcome to the DC role.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 26, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Man this guy is killing me, I guess he forgot all of those game chaging DROPS, anyone remember the Seattle playoff game that would have almost put that game away.
Rogers can go anywhere he wants next year. He is BAD and he can take those drops somewhere else. Man the guy is BAD. As far as Blache haynesworth is on the money with comments.......let him cause HAVOC. I know this has been a HORRIBLE year but I have to say at least Snyder is starting to move in the right direction, I said start remember. We will have to see what happens.
Hey Mr. Snyder will you please FIRE that weak ass coack ZORN..I was way wrong on that was hoping he would bring the energy but he is so scared do open his mouth. I would have got EJECTED on monday night all of the non calls by those REFS....Yeah Skins got killed but the REFS donr help at all when the QB gets planted as much as JC does

Posted by: obxneric | December 26, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

F Blache..... I have no problem with CR... Not sure why yall do. He was lights out last year and some of this year... Yeah he doesnt make the INT... But atleast he doesnt get run over by QB's...... Chances are whoever you get the replace him wont be better....

Posted by: cocodc1 | December 26, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I'd bet my paycheck the following players will be gone next year:

Antwaan Randle-El
Clinton Portis
Carlos Rogers

Wouldn't be suprised if they are gone:

Santana Moss
Chris Cooley
Jason Campbell
Mike Sellars- although FB is needed in WCO

Would be shocked if they were gone:

Laron Landry (bad season and out of position, not bad player)

Posted by: rickyroge | December 26, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers is not a good corner. He's average.

D'Angelo Hall is better than Carlos Rogers. He's always around the ball and makes the INT's. Yes' he's weak in run support, but he is a ball hawk.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 26, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I just read the article about Hayneworth's comments and I have to say I agree with him.

I thought this defense was going to be top three, maybe #1, and I defended it in the early part of the season when they were ranked 4th in the league against a string of bad opponents.

But as the season went on, it became apparent that Blache wasn't doing much to adjust, which is why we kept seeing the success of the big play late in games against the secondary.

Also, Blache's "Get out of my face. Go sit down" response to Haynesworth, who was allegedly only trying to get Blache's ear re the defense they were running against the Giants, is unacceptable if it's true. If you won't take input from your players, then why even be a coach?

The Giants kept running that same screen to Bradshaw all frigging night, and nothing was ever done about it. Embarrassing.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 26, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

We are the only team that on 3rd and long doesn't blitz the house, we sit back and let the QB complete passes on us. If you blitz he has to throw it quickly and short then you tackle.

The entire coaching staff will be gone after two more games anyway so who really cares, hopefully the next DC uses the players to the best of there ability, instead of craming there philosophy down there throats.

Brian Orakpo is bigger then Justin Tuck and he is used as a full time DE, there is no reason Orakpo is not used in the same fasion. LL has been playing out of position but even when he is a SS his still terrible he needs to go as well.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 26, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

MrRed,

Agreed defensive ajustments are a joke,how a team can run the same play against you all night and you don't change anything thats terrible.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 26, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Perfect example of being right but going about your business in the most absolutely wrong way possible.
Maybe the scheme needs to be changed. But maybe AH needs to shut his mouth, show up on time, go more than three plays in a row without collapsing and then address this crap in the off-season.

Posted by: mack1 | December 26, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

can you say free safety, carlos???

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 26, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

clegg

"This team said they would make adjustments for his style of play. They have not made any adjustments."

And they pretty much did the same kind of things when they traded for J Taylor and got Arch Deluxe.

They brought guys in who didn't fit the scheme, then treated them like they'd just flow in from the Island of Misfit Toys when things didn't work out.

This is what happens when there is no GM, BTW.

This is what happens when you depend so much on players developed by other teams rather than 'training up' your own.

Trades should be made because a coordinator says, "Hey, I need a stud young left tackle with long arms who can handle himself in space, not a mauler."

The GM then goes out and locates a player that fits what's desired and pays him accordingly.

That didn't happen with Haynesworth or Jason Taylor.

This should happen this spring with Marcus McNeil.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 26, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

For those of you that think Blache is genius just look back at the Detroit game and his weak game planning against a ROOKIE qb. I would ahve blitzed the carp out of Matt Stafford. What did Blache do? NOTHING. Who CAN'T be in the top ten rankings with this defense?!?! Greg Williams knew how to use his players. Example: Matt Bowen. Not good in coverage so he used him as a run stuffer/blitzing safety.
Blache needs to go as well....hopefully, he will retire.

Posted by: lszovati | December 26, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

This is what happens when there is no GM, BTW.

This fish has been rotting from the head since May of 1999, MistaMoe.

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 26, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

rickyroge

"I'd bet my paycheck the following players will be gone next year."

I'd think your list might be much longer.

If the team continues along it's downward spiral, Bruce Bruce might decide to press the "F!ck it," button, and send the whole crew packing.

And admit it: if you had to rebuild this franchise, wouldn't you want your drafted players, and not have to deal with leftovers from the days of St Joe and Ol' Bug Eyes?

A few 3-13 years of stocking draft picks and adding younger players would cleanse the redskin house in ways we don't dream of.

Unless, of course, you like leftovers.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 26, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

thunder

"Whether the owner has learned anything, or is even capable of such a feat, remains to be seen."

Bruce Bruce's actions on two players will immediately tell us if Mr. Snyder has changed his ways:

Jason Campbell

Clinton Portis

Will Mr. Allen choose to spend money on a quarterback Snyder doesn't want and cut a fav running back who'll cost him money?

That's quite a hair to split.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 26, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

rickyroge you going to be a broke fool if you think all those players gone.. I mean there is a such thing as rebuilding but you need solid players still on the team.. some of those players might not be superstars.. but there more than solid... If you get rid of them your more than likely replacing them with players not as good... The NFL now days just doesnt have superstars sitting around waiting to be called to play

Posted by: cocodc1 | December 26, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

PULEAZE get rid of 22 Mr Allen!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tryon may have never worked outside of nickel situations but he can't be much worse than mr. double move, iron hands. Maybe the Patriots can take him and have two ex skins CB's that I wouldn't sign for the minimium.

Posted by: drewkinnear | December 26, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

PULEAZE get rid of 22 Mr Allen!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: drewkinnear | December 26, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Carlos, please leave. Overrated scum.

Posted by: paperboy76 | December 26, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

didn't mean to bite on the double move, i mean double post

Posted by: drewkinnear | December 26, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cocodc1

Totally agree. Most of the bloggas are always screaming about blowing up the entire roster. As tempting as it sounds, most know that we'd lose it if we went through back to back 5 win seasons.

Blowing up 90% of the coaching staff? All for it!

Posted by: dcwun | December 26, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Rogers is not a bad CB. Like Haynesworth -- he's been miss cast in this strict cover-x zone defense and would be much better in a aggressive man-to-man blitzing defense.

This is all fallout from the failings of the front office. Cerrato signed aggressive defensive players and Blatche wanted passive, cerebral grunts who did what they were told. He never adapted his scheme to match the skill set of the players at hand.

Posted by: siris | December 26, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I tender restricted FA's. ( Campbell and Rogers) If someone really wants them, lets get draft picks for them. We could do worse at those positions. It's easy to bite on Double Moves when your coach has you sitting 10 yds off the ball on the outside. The entire scheme is crap and has been for 2 yrs. We rank high b/c this D is good between the 20's. It allows teams to prolong drives increase TOP and have the ball fewer times. Evident is this D NEVER stops teams prior to the half or end of games.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 26, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

It's about the time to make the transition to the new era in Redskins history. I think Hanyesworth made some valid points, and I think Zorn could have handled the situation better than he did. He allowd Blatch dictate his actions yesterday, another sign of Zorn not being ready to lead a team of professional players. The only coaches that I would like to see remain in some capacity is Chris Meidt, KO, and Stump Mitchell. The others can go.

Posted by: TWISI | December 26, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

IMO Rodgers is mentally weak and doesn't like to hit. Unlike Shawn Springs, he will not take on a guard or tackle and turn a run inside. He gives a receiver too much room to get off the line and into a pattern. When he gets beat, he acts like it's not his fault. And he learned from Deion Sanders to run out of camera range when he gets beat so he's not in the replay.

Get rid of him.

Posted by: g0tcha | December 26, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI

I like the WR coach Hixon as well. Not a huge Stump fan. I think the RBs performed much better under Earnest Byner.

Posted by: dcwun | December 26, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Blatche stinks! Even though he has had top 10 D's he has still underachieved by missusing the talent that he's had. Stop trying to fit the square pegs into the round holes! Happy trails! Can you imagine if the lat J. Johnson had this kind of roster? They would be #1 every year. Play to the stregnth of what you have!

Posted by: papashake

No what stinks is the bass-akward system Snyder has invoked. He hired assistants before a head coach, and he acquired players (like Haynesworth) who don't fit the system he has with the cpaches he has.

Haynesworth wants to freelance taking advantage of his penetration skills. Blatche's system has always depended on linemen keeping blockers off the LBS.

So a smart GM spends his $100 million more wisely, and gets some OLMEN.

Snyder and the fired Vinny Cerrato never listen to the coaches. They want the flash and headlines that will make them Big Deals in the Media and sell tickets to unknowledgeable fans like yourself, and, oh yes, tons of jerseys

Look at the winning teams. It's great systems with players brought in to fit the system, not a megalomaniac owner who thinks he alone has all the answers.

Hahyynesworth is frustrated, sure, and he's reacted to it like the facdde sgtepping sucker punching punk he is;

Good thing the fight with Jacobs didn''t go on anyl;ongl, Haynesworth would have to leave and have Golston sub for him because he was winded.

Posted by: TheCork | December 26, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

how about this, how about we get TWO corners who can catch an interception when it hits them in the hands like every other NFL team has?

instead of just one?

Posted by: greatteamdan | December 26, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Rogers would look good in an orange helmet next year.

with stripes or without.

see ya, brickhands!

Posted by: greatteamdan | December 26, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I think Carlos can be a better corner if he is allowed to "Jam" receivers at the line every once in a while. That would allow our DL to get to the QB more. No CB is going to looking good playing 10 yds off the ball.... basic football that Blache seems to not get. You can't NOT blitz and keep corners off the ball and sit back in these soft zones and expect to stop these 3rd and Long plays. You have to do one or the other.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 26, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

All interesting context, Mr. Mayor, but give us some idea about dollars and cents. If Rogers wants a reasonable amount, I don't see how the Skins don't give it to him -- or match what he finds elsewhere.

How much does Rogers expect to get?

For me, if it doesn't break the bank, they need to keep Stone Hands in DC. Smoot's near the end, and it wouldn't hurt to have Rogers fill that 3rd CB role if a better CB can be found later, even if you have to pay 2nd CB money for someone who ends up being a 3rd.

Posted by: WorstSeat | December 26, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm so sick of coaches you are unwilling to adjust to the personnel they have. It's not a successful formula. Yes, there needs to be a basic structure, but if the system doesn't allow for some flexibility then you get what we have, a paper giant.

Posted by: TWISI | December 26, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

How much does Rogers expect to get?

Posted by: WorstSeat | December 26, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse
I agree WorstSeat. I don't think you release him, unless you have someone better on hand to replace him. He's still young, and reasonably quick. Someone else has mentioned the possibility of him playing free safety. He has size and speed, can tackle. But I still think he is more valuable as CB.

Skins will certainly extend an offer to him, just so they will get a draft pick if someone wants to sign him.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 26, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I think RR is right on about Portis and ARE.

I think, though, of his second list Cooley will get the most (and of course for the past two weeks I have being saying as such on these boards.)

But I think getting rid of Moss is an excellent idea. If we get rid of Moss, we need to send him to a team that needs a wide receiver but can give us a RB in return. I think Chicago is such a place.

Moss for Khalil Bell (rookie out of UCLA with some heart and speed) and a draft pick (IF the Bears have any left). I think another play might be something like Moss for Glen Coffee in San Francisco. The niners need a down field threat and Moss (at least to those who don't watch 'Skins games) is one.

I think the team only needs to be "blown up" to a degree. That is, use trades! We are stock full of talent--or so people say. Trade people, get something in return instead of just releasing them, coach them up.

(By the way, Albert Haynesworth is right.)

Posted by: Invisman52 | December 26, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Cindy to Jason: We should have a blog post about a Redskin player more interested in himself than the team

Jason to Cindy: That doesn't narrow it down much ....

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 26, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Carlos,

You'd be bada$$ if you could just catch a pass.

Depending on what happens, I really think the Skins should make an effort to keep Carlos.

He can cover and tackle, he just has bricks for hands.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 26, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Springs and Carlos played well in the Double G's press man defense. For some reason Blache went to a mostly zone coverage. This 10 yards off the ball stuff accompanied by "Hot" calls are getting these DBs killed.

I'd be pissed too playing in this system. Who has actually gotten better in the two years Blache has been the DC?

Posted by: dcwun | December 26, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Like it our not folks, the biggest personnel mistakes were during the Gibbs years.

ARE- is not even a third receiver on most teams.

Carlos Rogers- Who would be afraid to throw it him.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 26, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Many good points about the Redskins defense not playing to its strengths. Both Rogers and Hall are better in press coverage than in zone. Landry is good in run support, but weak in coverage, but Blatche continued to use him at free safety. Instead of using his players' strengths, Blache tried to fit them into his system.

The Redskins have on paper the 2nd most talented defense in the division after N.Y., yet they play a passive style. A team with players like Haynesworth, Carter, and Orakpo should be able to force TO's though pass rush pressure, but this rarely has happened.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 26, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

ARE- is not even a third receiver on most teams.

Carlos Rogers- Who would be afraid to throw it him.

Posted by: rickyroge

That's a stretch. ARE played well for a few years. Maybe now his time has passed but not then.

How was this a mistake? He carried this offense for years. CP will start for the Skins next year and split carries with a rookie or free agent.

Rodgers is a press man DB. You have to allow him to use his size and hit WR at the line like the double G did.

Posted by: dcwun | December 26, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"ARE- is not even a third receiver on most teams.Clinton Portis- was turned into a power back and now is physically older than his 29 years. He'll never be a starting running back in this leagure again.Carlos Rogers- Who would be afraid to throw it him."

Hmmm... looking at the stats, I might argue that Randle El was a 'third' receiver when the Skins signed him, and still is. I might also argue that Portis did exactly what Gibbs wanted, which is to grind out yards, and block effectively on passing downs. The idea that Portis is done at 29 begs the question of his overall health, which isn't bad. Give him a line to run behind and he could surprise you.

Rogers is a more complex case. He may be a better fit at the nickel or at safety. No denying his coverage skills, not his manos de piedra.

If I had to pick just one to keep, it would be Rogers.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 26, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

"I think what's missing here with Brick Hands Rogers is the same thing Haynesworth said earlier. The scheme is bad and doesn't suit the talent they have."

Different case, IMO. Haynesworth is suffering because of the scheme (or so he'd have you think). Rogers does relatively well in the scheme but can't get an INT to save his life. A change in coordinator could raise Albert's game, while I'm not at all sure it benefits Carlos.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 26, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

The Dallas Cowsh1ts will run the draw play up our azz, and do it all night.

Why do the Skins suck so fkn bad on primetime? The last time I remember us winning one under the lights was when we had brunell tossing the 2 bombs to santana, it seems like a long time ago.

Yep, Brucy go ahead and blow up this team and start all over, we haven't been able to compete with philly and nyg for years.

Posted by: bhoang888 | December 26, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Re: Haynesworth & Blache

The root of the problem goes straight back to Vinny C. and the man's inpet leadership/managerial skills.

I bet that the night Vinny C. was on the phone w/AH's agent, Vinny was saying all sorts of sweet nothings about how the Skins would change their defensive system to accomodate Haynesworth. I'll also bet my Christmas stash that Vinny C. did not have a single solitary conversation with Blache about the matter.

I'm sure it was the same w/ Jason Tyalor. Vinny C. on the phone wheeling and dealing and freestyling with Danny's $$ telling splashy FAs whatever he thinks they need to hear, only to get them in uniform and then jam them on a coaching staff that didn't necessarily want/need a bazillion $$ square peg to fit into a round hole.

Posted by: p1funk | December 26, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Re: Rogers

Bye bye, chump.

Posted by: p1funk | December 26, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

If I had to pick just one to keep, it would be Rogers.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 26, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Did you read his comments?

He sees himself as a corner that is going to shut down the other team's No.1 receiver.

Translation: I expect to get treated and paid like a No.1 CB.

That is why Rogers is unkeepable. Let him get paid by some other team to be a moody underperforming malcontent.

Posted by: p1funk | December 26, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is DONE...with or without O-line

Who's defense is afraid of Antwan Randle-El.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 26, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

"AH has a great point he isn't being used properly, the way are defense sits back and plays soft pisses me off."

AH has no beef because in a league of scouts and videotape, any guy being courted by another team should have the presence of mind to check them out.

"I'll sign after I review game tape and holla at Jason Taylor," is what Haynesworth should've said as he had the freedom to choose where he played.

He choose to play himself.

AH was being rushed and pressured by Ol' Bug Eyes and Snidely before the titans themselves could get a deal together.

AH fell for the redskins because of the promises and the money.

So they lied to him, BFD.

He can't 'wreck' havoc in the way Jeff Fisher let him. Why did he leave in the first place?

Oh yeah, the money and the promises.

Well, now he has the money, and has decided buy excuses to replace the time not spent on the field making plays.

And if he has the talent, he'll make it manifest no matter what he's paid to do.

Cornelius Griffin has had several stellar years in this system, why can't Prince Al?

Look, I wasn't for the redskins signing this guy--look it up.

I just hate that I was wrong.

I promised y'all Prince Al would flop.

And it looks like we both were on the money.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 26, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

"I sent Albert home, just for disciplinary reasons," Zorn said after the practice session. "I think that all that will be kept between Albert and I."

Ummm, You thought WRONG, lame duck.

Posted by: p1funk | December 26, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Look, I wasn't for the redskins signing this guy--look it up.

I just hate that I was wrong.

I promised y'all Prince Al would flop.

And it looks like we both were on the money.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 26, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what you're talking about, Moe.

AH has delivered this year, and his talent is manifest.

He was never going to be worth the $$, but that was the going price and no one in that pay range is ever worth the $$, so it's a moot point.

It doesn't mean he's not the best D-lineman in football, which he is.

If he got lied to when he came here, he should be pissed off. I'm sure he did get lied to by Vinny C.

He could easily play nice, take his cash, and shut his pie-hole b/c he got paid.

Instead the team is 4-10 and he feels like he could do MORE to help, so he's pissed off and sounding off. I like that. That's the kind of attitude I want to see from my $40mill man.

Posted by: p1funk | December 26, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of blache and rogers. bring in landrys brother to fill that void. We need an Oline that can block and a coach who can dial up the pressure on defense rather than let these teams walk all over you.

Posted by: bert3 | December 26, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

NO; The dumbest move this franchise made was firing Marty,because then they stepped over a proven coach, Marvin Lewis to hire Steve Spurrier(worst hire of the decade) a dumb azz if their ever was one,now back to the Haynesworth situation; i said in an earlier post i'm not a Albert fan that being said he was probably telling the truth when he said other players show up two hrs late for practice/meeting's and no action is taken, Haynesworth is right about one thing this team lacks leadership.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 26, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab...........

If Christians don't wake up to the fact that radical Islamists want to exterminate them, then they (the Islamists) have already won.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 26, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Bottom Line, if you can't make adjustments in play calling and scheming during and after the game, you don't deserve to coach at any level. The Skins current coaching staff are a bunch of amateurs at best.

We will see the difference next year beginning in mini-camps with Shanahan's regime. It can only get better after this season.

Posted by: bhoang888 | December 26, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what you're talking about, Moe.

Posted by: p1funk | December 26, 2009 5:19 PM |

That makes two. He don't either.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | December 26, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Put me on record and let me cut throught the chase. The Redskins can trade, cut, whatever to all these scrubs except:

Brian Orakpo
Albert Haynesworth
Fred Davis
Devin Thomas
Malcom Kelly
Derrick Dockery

Oh yeah and don't look now....Rocky McIntosh is a Restricted Free Agent this year (what you gone do?)

Posted by: rickyroge | December 26, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge

Let him go as he can't cover any NFL caliber TE that I've seen.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 26, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

You read these posts about how Zorn forced Camp to do WCO QB and Blache forced AH to play a restricting scheme. It would have been interesting to see what the Skins could do with coaches that adapt their systems and schemes to the personnel they have yet preach that each player bring a focused, discipline approach to the game.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | December 26, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

"I can't make the big interception or whatever..." - says the guy that wants to be paid like a #1 cornerback????

Posted by: coparker5 | December 26, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | December 26, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but Dan Snyder makes the decisions about who's gonna be around next year and who won't, not Bruce Allen. Haynesworth and Me-angelo are his boys -- so they'll stay and they'll start. Guaranteed.

Rogers and Campbell are gone.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 26, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I 'd bet my paycheck the following players will be gone next year:

Antwaan Randle-El
Clinton Portis
Carlos Rogers

Wouldn't be suprised if they are gone:

Santana Moss
Chris Cooley
Jason Campbell
Mike Sellars- although FB is needed in WCO

Would be shocked if they were gone:

Laron Landry (bad season and out of position, not bad player)
Posted by: rickyroge | December 26, 2009 11:04 AM

You're gainfully employed!? The Laron Landry equivocation is enough to have you terminated, no matter where you work, allegedly! Landry, bad player and bad investment!!

Posted by: tony11 | December 26, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

i still don't see why people are talking shyt about haynesworth. he's done more to contribute and allow carter and orakpo to do their job. it's quite obvious that detractors havn't paid attention to what he did in tennessee. take a look at the archive footage of the 2008 titans. look at how the corners pressed the receivers at the line and watch how the d line, including haynesworth got quick 3 and outs. the corners actually forced the opposing qb to hold the ball longer and haynesworth, vanden bosche and company destroyed qb's. now look at how our defense plays. the corners play 10-15 yds off the LOS and the d linemen are always a second or two late getting to the qb. look at how our defense played against the giants on monday. on their first 4 possessions they marched down the field. the in the first half, the TOP for the giants was like 21 mins. that's 21 mins of our defense floundering on the field. while we're all aware that rogers couldn't catch the crab even if they were all over his jock, he can pass defense as well as any of the better known corners in the league. i think he'll go to another team next season and he'll be allowed to play close to the line and he'll look good doing it. let's face it: blache and gray fuqqed this team up w/ their passive defensive playcalling. i don't care if we had a top 10 defense the past few seasons...that defense hasn't made us a team to be feared. how many times have we had a defender return a pick or fumble for a td. i think rogers was the last one to get a pick 6 against the lions a few seasons ago. i know fletcher also got a pick 6 against warner as well. our defense hasn't broken a game wide open so analyze that. if haynesworth was promised that we'd play a certain way and that isn't happening, you can imagine how arrington was screwed over as well. we just don't know how to use the guys we have on our squad.

Posted by: charronegro1971 | December 26, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

IMHO Portis is done. Have not seen the explosiveness out of him for a while. Even when he does break through the line it looks like his cleats are tied together as he starts stumbling, staggering and running laterally. Would not be suprised if he is gone. Landry is decent if they'd allow him to play strong safety. Which is what Gibbs had in mind when we picked The Shed & Landry in subsequent drafts. What could have been. Oh well. We have so many problems on this team it's hard to find a starting point. I, as most of you, would like to start w/ the O-line. I'm sick of Randy Thomas blowing out body parts every season. Try a few tricep kick backs in the offseason jackass. I love AH. We knew what we were getting w/ the negative stuff. What he has done in 1yr is put us tied for 4th in the NFC in sacks w/ 32 I believe. It was downright embarassing when Springs led the team in sacks that one year. @ least we don't have to send the corner on a blitz every play anymore. Here's to hoping for a win tonight as one thing will never change. Hating the Cowboys w/ every fiber of my being.

Posted by: ST2121 | December 27, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse