Rogers: 'Things Ain't Working'

The Redskins gathered Monday morning in Ashburn, and the message was clear: They're trying to hold things together as best they can in the wake of Sunday's 20-17 loss at Carolina, but there are already indications that the players believe changes must happen. Cornerback Carlos Rogers said the future of Coach Jim Zorn isn't the only question that players are talking about.

"Things ain't working," Rogers said. "When things don't work, there comes about change. Maybe it's good. Maybe it's bad. I think, like I said, they say players panic. Coaches panic, too, when things happen.

"It's the beginning of the season. We got a long way to go. We're got a lot of things we need to iron out. It's a lot of problems. It's from personnel to coaches to whatever it is. It's a lot of things we need to iron out. Until we address those issues and turn them around, we're going to be the same, going up and down.

"It starts not only with the players and the coaches. It starts with the ownership. They bring everybody in, and they've got last say-so of everything. So that's where it starts, I guess."

Several players took time to speak to the media beofre Zorn's news conference. But special teams captain Rock Cartwright gave an impassioned plea to keep the fan base behind the team, and to steer the focus from Zorn's future.

"Coach Zorn is not all to blame for what's going on," Cartwrigtht said. "He's the head coach, but everything doesn't go on him. It goes on the players because we're the ones that's out there playing. We're the ones that's getting false start penalties. We're the ones that's jumping offsides. We're the ones that's giving up big returns as far as the special teams unit. Those guys aren't the ones that's doing it. We're doing that. So don't make it seem like, 'Well it's all Coach Zorn. It's all this, it's the coaches.' No it's not the coaches. It's everybody. We're in this thing together. If we win together, we win together. If we lose together, we lose together."

Cartwright began his interview session in measured tones. But by the end, when only a couple reporters and no TV cameras were around, he was rolling.

"Guys never know what can happen," he said. "We can win two games before we go on our bye week, and then we come back and go on a winning streak and we win seven in a row, then what are you guys going to be saying? 'Oh, oh, it was turmoil early on.' But it's not turmoil. It's a long season, guys. Don't beat us up like that. don't make us seem like we're the worst team in America or we're just the baddest team in football, because that's not the case. That's not the case."

Rogers argued that the club has to tune out criticism from media and fans. But he also acknowledged that some players can start worrying about their own futures. Rogers will be a restricted free agent this offseason, as will quarterback Jason Campbell.

"They can keep me here," Rogers said. "They can tender me. They can do whatever to me. I can't worry about it. Either I'm here or I'm gone. You do wonder about our future. You wonder about Jim's, too.

"I look at the people around here. I think there's a lot of people gonna be gone. I think they're going to need to build again or turn this thing around. Like I said, it's not really just the coaches. It's us players, too."

When he got home Sunday, Cartwright made the mistake of listening to critics on sports-talk radio.

"I heard a guy on the radio yesterday, [he] said, 'I been a Redskins fan for 20 years. They can just stay in Charlotte,'" Cartwright said. "Well fine, then. If you been a Redskins fan for 20 years, are you a loyal fan or are you a fair-weather fan? That's what I want to know. But don't give up on us because we're going to keep fighting. We're going to keep pushing. We're going to come in day in and day out and come to work, and we're going to get this thing turned around, regardless of whatever the situation may be - regardless of they choose to keep Coach Zorn, or whatever.

"We're behind Coach Zorn 110 percent. We are behind him 110 percent. We're going to battle for him regardless of the situation, because he comes out and he works just as hard as we do every day. Don't make it seem like it's all on him, because it's not on him. This is a collective thing. Offense, defense, special teams."

Cartwright closed by saying the team, which faces winless Kansas City on Sunday, will close ranks.

"It's us against the world," Cartwright said. "And that's the way we feel. We're going to keep fighting, man. Ain't nobody going to put out our fight. I'll promise you that. I'll make sure of that, because I'm a captain and I'm going to do my part, and I'm going to make sure everybody else do their part. ... We're going to ride it out. I promise you that. I promise you that."

By Barry Svrluga  |  October 12, 2009; 12:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Daniels Opts to Postpone Surgery
Next: Samuels Will Miss Sunday's Game Against Chiefs

Comments

*sigh*

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"I blame the media."

-by Pabrian2003

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 12, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"It's us against the world," Cartwright said.

----------

The world is winning.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 12, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

The Skins players, FO, and coaches need to tune out the media - it's totally affecting them in a bad way.

Just heard Zorn say that Samuels will not play on Sunday and they will probably put Heyer on the left. What???

Why not sign someone? Give Pete Kendall a call?

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 12, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

What an idiotic thing to say. What kind of fair weather fan sticks with the team for TWENTY years?

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 12, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Why not sign someone? Give Pete Kendall a call?

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 12, 2009 12:33 PM |

Kendall is a guard not a tackle.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 12, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

It's totally affecting them in a bad way.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 12, 2009 12:33 PM

----------

How?

and why?

and who cares?

and WTF?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 12, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Why not sign someone? Give Pete Kendall a call?

Posted by: Lisa_R

Because Kendall is a guard, not a tackle?

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 12, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Joey T. said this morning that Rinehart was injured yesterday (at least dinged) and that is why Mike Williams played.

Has anyone heard this elsewhere?

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 12, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I read elswhere that they wanted to go with more size at the guard position this past week and were still unimpressed with Rinehart's performance.
And I love Moss's quote about every week being like the movie Groundhog Day. So true!

Posted by: ga8085 | October 12, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

somebody in this organization needs to listen to these guys.

Posted by: cornix | October 12, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

It's the beginning of the season??? Uh, no, the season is about a third of the way through.

Posted by: fan-o-matic | October 12, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Rock, I love your spirit, but no amount of motivating is going to make our current O-line competitive, because they just don't have enough talent or experience.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 12, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Unless our O-line can get it together, it doesnt really matter what we do. As a season ticket holder, I really am not sure if I want to go to this next game.

If I do, I am not bringing any beer, I am bringing Jack Daniels and no mixer.

Is there any relation to alcoholics and Redskins fans?

Oh and F Snyder, just because.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | October 12, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV mentioned Eminem a couple threads ago. Reading these latest player quotes brings to mind a verse [actually, the only verse I remember from any of Em's, uh, 'songs']...

"Everybody talks like they got something to say, but nothing comes out when they move their lips, just a bunch of gibberish."

Posted by: 4-12 | October 12, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Cartwright is calling out the fans?

Let me tell you something, Rock: I've been a fan for 30 years, but I'm a fan of the Redskins. That crap we saw on Sunday? That's not the Redskins. Danny Snyder has destroyed the Redskins. Dead and buried.

You can slap a Ferrari grill on a Hyundai, but it ain't a Ferrari. You want us to blindly cheer for these fake Redskins? No, thanks. We all know nothing will change until Danny either sells the team or swallows his pride. So get used to hearing the boos, Rock. I'm a Redskins fan. I'm booing this crappy fake Redskins nonsense.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | October 12, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

cartwright says up and down havent seen any up been all down horrible team with no leadership over priced veterans who don't care

Posted by: bobmarshall50 | October 12, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Been a redskin fan since 1950. So, Rock, where is the fair weather line drawn in the sand? 25 years, 30? Being a Redskin fan in DC is like no other location in the NFL. Only here is a Redskin fan a minority in his own town. And by that I mean that 2 out of every 3 football fans in this town come from somewhere else (mostly PA) and bring their allegiance with them. Notice how we hate going to work after a loss to Dallas? Tour government offices and look at the cubicles and you will see allegiance to all other teams in the league. So, Rock, you figure you can play for another team, do you? Name one, then go. And take, no-hands Carlos with you. Same for Jason, Clinton, Jim Z and Vinnie please. You see, we live in this town and we love the Redskins. You guys are just passing through. I hear Oakland is hiring!

Posted by: Jrlobo | October 12, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Rodgers is part of the problem! Catch a pick every once in a while.... He like Portis self promote themselves, the funny thing is both are jokes around the NFL!

Posted by: rlomax67 | October 12, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Rock and Carlos, of course you will keep on fighting, I would too if I am getting paid the money that you all make. The fan's and the media, as well as other NFL knowledgeable personnel, are not complaining because the team is not trying hard enough. They are just pointing out the obvious in the lack of management focus, continuous bad decisions, and the reluctance to change. We already understand you players are trying, but we also understand that some of you players are past your prime or are over-rated in terms of talent. If you are truly a team player, it will actually benefit the team in the near future to lose the rest of your games and start the change earlier as oppose to later (As well as getting a decent draft choice out of it!). By the way, let me know if you are doing that so that I can at least get some money out of this season with the bookies.

Posted by: JohnWWW | October 12, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

no samuels no win

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 12, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"are you a loyal fan or are you a fair-weather fan?" Yeah we're loyal fans, but we've been patient for 10 years with Dan. But enough is enough!!! We have an owner who doesn't know what's best for the team. Hire a REAL GM and stay off the team! We have Vinny who drafted 3 WRs in second round, should have done 3 OLs instead. Not to mention throwing away draft picks. We have Zorn who's in way over his head on this. Poor guy ... he didn't know what he was getting into when he accepted the HC job. And the players are mostly average at best (thanks to Vinny)

Danny, if you're not going to sell the team, do the following:
1. Fire Vinnie and Zorn
2. Hire a real GM. Try to steal one from San Diego, Atlanta, Indianapolis.
3. Hire Cowher, Holmgren or Shannahan
4. Stay off the football side of the team, let football people run it. Stay at Tom Cruise's house for the next 3 years and see if we're better off without you.
5. Won't be too bad to take Ted Leonsis out for steak dinner and ask for advice!!!

Posted by: serser | October 12, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

The only thing Rock Cartwright is known for is the first name "Rock." Thats also what the guy has for brains. Cut him. I want players that say "we sucked it up today. In fact all season we've blown. Its not alright and we're going to lay it all on the field each and every week. We'll watch extra film and practice more." Too bad they don't have too b/c they all came to Washington to get paid not win. Apparently Rock Cartwright doesn't have Snyder's cell phone number. He sounds like an apologist. I want to hear booo's next week people. Lord knows I'm not dumb enough to give this team my $$. Suckers.

Posted by: oneft2dice | October 12, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Rock, I am a REAL fan...

And a REAL fan will tell you that I will start by firing Vinny! Then Zorn should be an offensive coordinator... not a head coach. Darn, even that would have been a tall order for the man. His game calling is atrocious, his clock management is horrendous and his use of time outs and challenges is by far one of the worst if not the worst in the league.

Now to players, I will start with the old DE's we have... then proceed to get rid of ARE (if fair catching is what it takes to be a punt returner then they should put Jason back there)...

Now I see why Dan Snyder was shopping around for a QB... his (Jasonl) awareness is terrible... his game management is as bad.

Yes, the problem with the team starts with ownership and trickles all the way down to players whose return on investment is on the red.

Posted by: samiismoni14 | October 12, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers needs to shut his trap. D'Angelo Hall has more INT in 10 games as a Redskins than he does for his career!

If he couldn't tackle he'd be utterly useless. I'd rather have Joe Lavender or Lemar Parrish circa 1980 than this bozo.

He never makes THE play, just a play. Another 1st round ho-hum under-achiever in my mind.

Posted by: elfreako | October 12, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, so much of my life revolves around the Redskins. Relationships have been ruined not only because of the time I dedicate to supporting them, but when they lose, I'm usually in a awful mood for the next 5 days and not much fun to be around. This season has tested my emotions to their foundation. I'm usually the optomist--not ready to give up until they are mathematically elimnated--but with the O-line situation, I'm about ready to throw in the towel...thanks, Vinny. To make matters worse, I don't live in DC anymore so I get to hear people yelling, "Redskins suck! Redskins Suck!" right in my face while I'm trying to leave the bar after watching the game.

Posted by: Fumala | October 12, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Rock stated that the team is behind Coach Zorn 110 percent. If that was a 110%, I would hate to see only 75%.

Posted by: akjproductions | October 12, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

bottom line, all i want is for someone on that team to go into Snyder's office and put their job on the line. explain to him how this should be working, because what they've been doing isn't working. they might be out of a job by time the talk is over with. but at least Snyder would see that his way of doing things isn't working and his people are getting tired of it and letting him know. i have to assume that up to this point no one is having these conversations with him. a team atmosphere is needed in Washington. perhaps all the players need to do this on an off day. just line up and go in one at a time. he can fire the entire team by the end of the day. but at least he will see that people aren't going to sit back and support him or the front office without significant change.

Posted by: tiredrdsknfan | October 12, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

What ever two guys that don't bring much to the table...

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 12, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Zorn deserves Nobel Peace Prize. He's done more than Obama.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | October 12, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I've been a fan for over 45 years, good and bad times. Best present I ever received was season tickets but I will not renew them next year. I will not pay for the Dan Snyder fantasy team. I'm trying hard to think of a good decision that has been made by ownership..Deion, no: Bailey for Portis, please: draft two wide receivers one year and defensive guys the next when you need offensive linemen, okay, enough. I'll still watch, but I won't pay for the privilege of this nonsense anymore. Snyder needs to get out of the football business.

Posted by: rckymtnmoose | October 12, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I am only 59 years old. Introduced as a Redskin fan at 6 years old by my grandfather. I guess I am a fair weather fan also, because I am tired of this mess. By the way, I also lived through the wonderful 60's and 70's when the Redskins looked just like today. Each week I hoped for a win and then had a horrible Monday after. Then comes George Allen, then Joe Gibbs and three titles!! Wow, things are good and they will stay good. Oops, then came the last 15 years of the same old thing. Loyal fans know the history, appreciate it and celebrate it. It also gives them the right to be upset with the current situation. I've earned the right to be critical. Rock, I was a fan long before you were born and will be a fan long after you are not a player [and for some, we might be talking hours]. Players listened to their own hype, now they read the papers and they destroyed their own chemistry. If you don't think you one of the worst teams in football right now, you better check the standings. Good teams win---good players often lose.

Posted by: Justlistening | October 12, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Bringing in Sherman Lewis as consultant makes no sense. He does not understand our culture of toxic management and locker room backstabbing. A better choice would have been veteran coach and former Vice President of Football Operations for our own Redskins, Frank "Pepper" Rodgers.

Posted by: donsilvester | October 12, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The players are behind Zorn, that's very funny.
But then again, he doesn't expect much from them.
Zorn has excuse after excuse for the team losing.
Excuses are for losers.
Do you think the other teams know what the Redskins are trying to do on offense.
Either the play calling sucks or the players suck.
If it wasn't for the defense, these losses would be by a much wider margin.
Just wait until we play good teams.

Posted by: jmy999 | October 12, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Unlike many on here, I am encouraged by what Rock had to say. He is 1 of the captains. We know the O Line is challenged due to the lack of talent, but it is up to Bugel and the coaching staff to coach these guys up and do a better job opening up holes and giving JC17 time. I am looking for the Redskins to fight next Sun from the opening whistle to the closing whistle. Get to 3-3 and then you have a puncher's chance against Philly at home on MNF going into the bye week.

Posted by: gilk | October 12, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

To Jrlobo,
I agree with you 100 per cent.
I have been a Redskin fan for more than 40 years.
This team stinks from the top down.

Posted by: jmy999 | October 12, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

This Redskins vs. the Fans thing needs to stop. I'm tired of players calling out the fans as "fair weather" or unable to understand the intricacies of football because they negatively state their opinion. Chris Cooley, who I admire, consistently calls out fans he deems to be "fair weather." They are not really fans, he says. They've never played the game. They don't understand how much each player gives of his heart and of his body. How, then, can a fan have an educated opinion if he or she has never played football at the highest level?

It's simple, Chris (and Rock). They have no other recourse. We (Redskins fans)have to sit, year after year, at a table of mediocrity. We don't necessarily blame you. Those boos are as much directed at Daniel Snyder as they are Vinny Cerrato as they are a terrible tackle by DeAngelo Hall as they are a horrible run call by Jim Zorn resulting in a safety. What would you have the fans do?

In a Republic, when an elected official does not meet the expectations of the electorate, he or she is voted off. Call it Darwinism if you'd like. We can't vote off Danny Boy, can we Chris and Rock? We can't vote off the intolerable loser Vinny Cerrato.

So we boo. So we will continue to boo.

Dry your tears with hundred dollar bills and never question our loyalty again.

Posted by: chickencalada | October 12, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Will the Redskins be favored in their bye week??

Posted by: Justlistening | October 12, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, here we go again. SSDD.

We are a mockery.
It is really bad when your most hated rivals feel sorry for you.

I will not beat my head against a wall forever so this is my last post.

I will still support and root for my beloved Redskins but as long as Danny Boy remains incompetent and Cerrato is here I will recluse myself from this nightmare.

At least we have great memeories of good times with friends and family, watching and rooting together for our team when it had heart and inspired us.

May we all meet again in happier times...
until then...
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
FIGHT FOR OLD DC

Posted by: REDSKINRAYINCA | October 12, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

As a coach. Zorn appears to be clueless when having to make the snap minute decisions but most of this falls on the QB and offensive line. Managment bungled this thing when they started drafting 3 wideouts last year and came back and ignored the offnsive line again. I can see where we had to take Orakpo but what about the 3rd round, 5th rd, etc. there has to be servicable backuops in those rounds. you know going into a season that you are going to need help on the O-line due to injury. The Campbell experiment is done. I was one of the people making excuses for him but the guy does not have the mental make up. He is afraid to try to make the neccesary throuws that NFL QB's make. Throwing into tight spots is a requiremtn of an NFL QB and Campbell does not beleive in this. If you want to see the Skins be competitive then they must have a QB. this is the ingrediant that all temas must have. A good QB can take a bad coach and make him look good. We should have gotten Cutler, Sanchez, anything but this experiment has to end. Point blank, Campbell should be on the practice squad. maybe there he could leanr to call a play at the line of scrimmage without wasting timeouts in a state of complete confusion.

Posted by: WalkRight | October 12, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Think we can score more than 17 against the world?

Posted by: lord_rockumus | October 12, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

and this is the easy part of the schedule

Posted by: arh999 | October 12, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Carlos, when Redskin players start behaving like they have a fire lit under them instead of spoiled, overpaid DIVOs, then maybe this team will have some hope of winning games and not be a constant embarassment to DC. Until then, I've moved up the beltway to my other Maryland team, the Baltimore Ravens. At least they're on fire and know how to win games and have nothing to prove but how good they truly are.

Posted by: sjcsando | October 12, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Catch the dang ball Carlos. Cut Cartwrigt now. We don't need a guy to return kickoffs to the 25 yard line.

Posted by: jmpalomo | October 12, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I swear I have not seen us look this bad since i have been watching the Redskins which is my all time favorite team in any sports. Things really are not working and i think that there is no pinpoint thing that is holding us back from being a decent team. I ultimately think that it consists of players not being motivated or wanting to be Great, theres a difference in wanting to be good and being great. Secondly coaching is lacking, and in all out fairness it is not Zorns fault because i honestly believe that he may know the offensive system he wants to run but he has no idea of how to fire up and get the players to realize that either you play or its your job on the line. This is a problem that lies deep within the team. For example when Samuels got hurt yesterday there is no way that we should have to change what we want to do because of what the defense is doing, thats basically having no faith in the system in which you have put in place. And what image does that send to the other players in the locker room. Another point is a point that i have learned from any sport that i have played and heard coaches like Tomlin say, and that is there whoever practices the best will be the players who play in the game, basically you hav to earn time to play. I understand Portis is our featured back but this all falls back on the image that you are trying to display to your team. What uour essentially doing is telling the rookie who wants to buss his butt off to play for the Redskins that no matter if you practice and earn time if we feel like we want to play any player ahead of u who has not done any work to get to play we will just because, have we as an organization forgotten about the basic principles that is the foundation for any sport. The last point that i want to make is that a team who has forgetten how to win and no longer has the desire to win are the most obvious teams to point out( and yes i am talking about the Redskins). For instance how many of you saw the ball pop out from Deangelo williams on the first or sencond play of the Carolina game? The fact that Haynesworth was the only player alert to this really bothers me and only scrathed the ground surface. The surface in which im talking about is that teams go into games expecting these things to happen and we act like we are allergic to getting these types of plays. I am a firm believer in you have to think these things will happen or you will never have them happen to you. We as a team make to many excuses without realizing that we are no Colts we are no real organization who has not forgotten the basic principles to how football is supposed to be played physical and play the players who show the determination and will power to not want to go to the Redskins of old but start a new legacy of hard working players who deserve to win

Posted by: facemob2334 | October 12, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

News Flash:
This is gonna be the same, week in and week out until Dan Snyder steps back and hires a competent GM who actually knows football. Dan can't be the one to go scout the senior bowl (what a joke) and think just because he owns a football team that he is a football guy. Vinny needs to go (and by the way Vinny, take your court jester Larry Michael with you), and Snyder needs to hire REAL football people to oversee football operations. Dan can then go and play with Tom Cruise (they are about the same size) and maybe, just maybe the Redskins can get back to respectability....just maybe...???? Please do it...for all the 'Skins fans out there. This is a joke.

Posted by: natman19 | October 12, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

The team's condition has been deteriorating since the day Snyder bought them. The round robin of coaches and old players, the giving away draft picks, the horrible choice of Vinnie as Gm. It has been a yellow stained snowball rolling downhill for a decade now.
You've ruined whatever talent Campbell had with revolving schemes and coaches. You pay 100Mil for an overweight, injured player[Haynesworth], while ignoring an O line that has been in desperate need. You hire coaches in an a** backward fashion. The list goes on and on, year after year.
This isn't day trading Danny-it's football, and longevity and chemistry matter.
Ten years--are you a slow learner or what Danny boy?? If you are really a fan, do the rest of us a favor and sell the team. That is our only hope...rants from a 39year fan.

Posted by: alyd69 | October 12, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Id like to see Rock used as a 3rd down back more

Posted by: ryjufox3 | October 12, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

For all the fairweather fans who have been a fan since they were 5 years old.... GET OFF THE BUS!!!! Go root for another team! They dont need you! Go ahead and root for Dallas! They're also going though some mess there as well... If you think they're booing the team will do them some good, go ahead... Ask what the Browns fans have been doing for the past 20+ years. What did that get them? NOTHING!!!! You guys are whiners and this is what happens. At the end of the season, there's only going to be ONE true team, and that's the team who wins the Championship. 31 other teams are losers. Who's going to be the #1 team? Who's going to be behind them as the 12th man?! If you've been a loyal fan, and say you're a loyal fan, then act like it and get behind your team while they need you the most! Dont pound them to the dirt like they were the dallas cowboys...

Posted by: dimatuma | October 12, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Lord_rockumus, the world is currently favored by 9.

Posted by: ts35 | October 12, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------
I can't believe all of this mouth from a guy who has the "hands of stones" for a cornerback.

Maybe he should think about a change from this team, since he hasn't done crap since he's been here.

Posted by: ENJOYA | October 12, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

All teams make mistakes. They throw interceptions. They jump offsides. Good teams can overcome these mistakes. Bad teams don't. When you have coaches coming out and saying "we can't make mistakes" it usually means "we are not good enough to overcome the mistakes we make".

The result of this is usually a team that will range between 6-10 and 10-6 and the occasional sojourn to 4-12. A team that never really dominates anyone. A team that is middle of the road. A team very much like the Redskins.

The fantasy the Redskins are living are that somehow after a 9-7 season they are one or two players from becoming a good team. That they somehow should be better than their record. But again, this is what happens to middle of the road teams. In up years they are never really as good as their record and in down years they are never really as bad as their record.

Until the organization understands this and can learn to plan accordingly the Skins will be what they are. Sometimes losing badly to teams worse than them and sometimes surprising teams that are better, but never really making progress back to the elite level of the NFL.

Posted by: elkiii_2008 | October 12, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

FIRE VINNY NOW! DANNY IF YOU HAD A PAIR YOU WOULD DO THE RIGHT THING FOR THE TEAM AND COACHES AND FIRE HIM WHILE HE'S ON HIS OWN TALK SHOW. THEN APOLOGIZE TO THE FANS FOR YOUR TRANSGRESIONS. VINNY MUST GO NOW!

Posted by: classicskins | October 12, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I guess the Redskin critic club that Redskin Nation host Larry Michael calls "haters" is certain to grow about yesterday's 'cheat' loss to the Panthers in which the Cats won by inteferrring with the Randle El's fair catch signal.

I will say this; the Skins offense just absolutely sucks. There is none period. Not one 'drive' resulted in a score except 1 FG. The 2 TD's came on defensive take aways.

This is NO WAY to run an offense. Something is not clicking between Zorn / Campbell and the entire offense.

This is one time I sympathize with Dan Snyder. The owner has invested millions upon millions of dollars to produce a winning product. What the Redskins are producing is an insult to Snyder and a lemon to their fans.

Posted by: memyselfI1 | October 12, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

To Dan Snyder from a life long Redskins FAN; please remove Rock Cartright and that rookie motor mouth Henson from the team accusing us fans of not sticking with the team, especially since both come from the in-offensive line.

Excuse me fan traitors Cartright and Henson, but we fans ARE STICKING WITH YOU. It is, the team, at least on the offensive side, that are NOT sticking with us.

How can an offense produce nearly 800 total yards against 2 losers (the Rams and Lions) and score only 23 total points? Gosh, that many points, the Redskins should be have destroyed their opponents with nearly 50 points scored in both games.

I betcha, as bad as the Redskins offense is, that Towson U's or maybe the Terps offense could easily beat the Redskins.

Get lost both of you motor mouths. We fans don't need you to diss us the fans with your snotty comments.

Posted by: memyselfI1 | October 12, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Dear Rock,

Ever considered scoring a TD?

Until then, shut up.

Regards,

Steve.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | October 12, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Redskins TIE!! in the their bye week; Snyder and Cerrato are presented with the game ball.

Posted by: riceldi | October 12, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

IF only the Redskins players showed as much passion on the football field as they show to the media after each game. They are not a good football team, period. Yet they act like all they have to do is show up and they'll win. Their failure is due to a mix of pride, ignorance and lack of accountability.

Posted by: manwray | October 12, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Can we please stop drafting / trading for retards? What professional athlete thinks criticizing the fans who pay their wages is a good idea?

What athlete thinks insulting fans on twitter (before they've done anything in the NFL) is a good idea?

Can we stop recruiting players from "da U" or Auburn? Wildly rated individualists with an unbelievable sense of self-worth, based on little achievement.

Clinton - the reason the fans side with Riggo (despite everything) is because he took a team on his back and won a Superbowl. What have any of these pampered millionaires won?

Sick of this team.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | October 12, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers is presented with a fresh new supply of gloves with Ball Repelent!!

Posted by: riceldi | October 12, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Carols Rogers - a 1st round pick CB who can't catch an interception to save his life.

You might wanna keep your mouth shut, son.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | October 12, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: manwray | October 12, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

^^^ This. Well said.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | October 12, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Friends! Cheer yourself up with this;

Ahhh! That's better!

Posted by: stevebeagrie | October 12, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

As long as Snyder's racquetball buddy, yes-man bug-eye Cerrato is running the personnel we're never going to go above 8-8.

Letting Charlie Casserly go was a mistake.

Posted by: jeffkuske | October 12, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

"Carlos Rogers"

THIS SAYS IT ALL.................

Posted by: pk_1119 | October 12, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

dimatuma - You're an idiot.

Posted by: hessone | October 12, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Fair weather fan. A tired phrase. Since Gibbs retired the first time just how much fair weather has there been with this team. I think that anyone who is still a fan of this team after all these years of a substandard product can not be called a "fair weather" fan and anyone who uses that term is a moron. There comes a time when a fan just can't take it anymore.

Posted by: rdrunner82 | October 12, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

stevebeagrie, Thanks for the link, and the trip down memory lane. Seems like Riggo didn't need the lead fullback to block. Straight ahead for 8 or 9 yards a pop, the good old days....sigh.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 12, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

It might help for the players to understand that the "fans" angst is directed (mostly) at 10 long years of inept Snyderotto mis-management & not so much at them personally .. These fans have in large part been 'Skins fans far far longer than most current players have been around (and Snyder too), & likely will be long after they are gone (though the Snyder era is really giving that a stiff test) , and it has become painfully obvious to most of us that the core problem is management , a management that is either clueless or doesnt give a damn so not much reason to think its ever going to get better .... So when you hear those boos & other abuse try to remember it's not just about what happened on that play or in that game, but more about 10yrs of frustration coming to a toxic head .... That's probably not much comfort, but not much more I can give you

Posted by: RoidRage | October 12, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

what's rock cartright smokin?

Posted by: bazookajd | October 12, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

vinny has to go , jason campbell has to go, we need to hire a good gm aka mike holmgren to run football operations. snyder needs to stay out of football decision making.

Posted by: bazookajd | October 12, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Snyder will never sell the team. He is sitting on a gold mine with the Redskins trademark. It's a license to print money.
He won't even think about selling until it really hits him in the pocketbook...and that's not happening anytime soon. But if he does run low cash, he can sue the fans or sell more tix to brokers.

Posted by: noax2grind | October 12, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I think it's about time we went Michael Westbrook on these players and start TPing their homes.

Posted by: massiveBrains | October 12, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

So Rock's saying it's not all the coach, it's the players who aren't executing...didn't we see this movie at Nats Park this summer?

Posted by: miseaujeu | October 12, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: miseaujeu | October 12, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

So ROck says we, the people who thousands of dollars to watch this cr*p in person year and year out, and the others who give up their Sunday afternoons for 4 months of the year decade after decade, are fairweather fans?

One thing I can't stand is going to FedEx field and having to sit through videos about the Redskins glory years. This owners and these players had NOTHING to do with that. They are the antithesis of those teams. They have no right to claim that glory. How about some videos of the numerous 6-10 seasons we've suffered through under Snyder? That I would be okay with.

Posted by: Smith22039 | October 12, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

More duct tape and bailing wire please! This ship be sinkin'!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | October 12, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

what makes any one think sanchez or cutler can play behind this o-line? both of them dont have the strength or mobility of campbell who at this time is beaten down..sanchez and cutler if they played on this team would be lying in the hospital on injured reserve. this team in ran by a bunch of FOOLS who don't care about winning. this by far is the WORST team in the nfl. until snyder and his valet sell the team don't look for any thing to get better. zorn is a born loser, don't bother paying any attention to cartwright if the fans were really smart none of them would show up to any games,buy nothing even affiliated with this team until snyder leaves..

Posted by: wathu19 | October 12, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Here's the thing. I'm tired of this. I'm tired of week in and week out the Redskins being terrible. I've been a Redskins fan for 20 years and how dare you call me a "fair weather" fan. How dare you. The thing is us as fans will continue to be disrespected by these players because they think that because we have never played in the NFL then we know nothing about football. Truth is they have forgot all about football. The majority of us did play and we played in high school and college. Places where it wasn't about the money but it was about winning and pride. Not looking pathetic each week and picking up a pay check the next day. But these guys have forgotten all about that. So keep calling out fans. The people who pay your over priced salary. Because without us Danny Boy would have no money left to sign your checks. You're pathetic. A sorry excuse for football team. You might. MIGHT. Stand a chance against Oakland if you played. If you cared half as much about winning as you do about the fans booing or what they say on the tv then we might be in good shape. We would be a lock for the Super Bowl every year. And who is Carlos Rogers to say anything? I hope he doesn't come back next season. We'll see how long his career lasts after this season. And if it does last long then it will be as a nickel back at best. Clinton Portis. You need to worry more about running the ball and practicing, and less about running your mouth. Just because you don't have an all pro line doesn't give you an excuse to quit. To k Cartwright. What have you ever. EVER done. Besides be a kick returner and a 3rd string running back your whole career? This is ridiculous. Year after year after year the same thing and they wonder why we boo. Maybe they are just as clueless as they seem. Most of them Automatically got grades in college because they were good at football and now they are in the NFL. That's what it has to be If you question why we boo. You Wanna know why we boo? Because you are 2-3 when you should be 4-1 at best. That's why we boo. That's why. That's why we the fans, The Real Redskins boo! None of the teams with the exception of the Giants that we lost two are good football teams. So here's what you need to do. You need to get your heads outta your a$$es and play football. Play for the love of the game. How many of these guys would play if it was just for fun, no money involved? That's an easy answer none. I'm sick and tired of watching the same thing every year and thinking just by some chance there is hope that we will be good but then I come to realize that I'm watching the modern version of the Washington Redskins. You make me sick.

Posted by: skins_4721 | October 13, 2009 3:50 AM | Report abuse

hessone: explain why I'm an idiot?

Posted by: dimatuma | October 13, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

stevebeagrie - THANK YOU FOR THE YOU TUBES. Almost brought tears to this Skins Fan to relive the Skins Glory Days. Will those days ever return to make Skins football fun again? I certainly hope so and I do look forward to those days again.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS. FIGHT FOR OLE DC.

Posted by: memyselfI1 | October 13, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: serser | October 12, 2009 1:16 PM |

Danny, if you're not going to sell the team, do the following:
1. Fire Vinnie and Zorn
2. Hire a real GM. Try to steal one from San Diego, Atlanta, Indianapolis.
3. Hire Cowher, Holmgren or Shannahan
====================

I'm gonna re-do this list if you don't mind:

#1 - (your #4) Stay off the football side of the team, let football people run it. Stay at Tom Cruise's house for the next 3 years and see if we're better off without you.
- // // // //
- // // // //
- // // // //
#5 - (your #2) Hire a real GM. Try to steal one from San Diego, Atlanta, Indianapolis (and I'll add - Eagles, Giants, Patriots - not solely GM's, but better yet the young up and coming talents in the front offices of those organizations)

====================

If Snyder would merely hire people who know how to do what he doesn't: own/run a team and own/run a team, the Skins would be fine. SIGN CHECKS and go play with your celebrity friends. We would be so much better off.

Posted by: LIKWID | October 13, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse