Roll Call at Practice

From Jason La Canfora

Here's a player update as practice begins:

Marcus Washington (ankle) is not on the field.

Clinton Portis (knee), Antwaan Randle El (ankle), Chris Samuels (knee), and Anthony Montgomery (Achilles') are not in helmets and full pads. Portis, Samuels and Randle El are expected to play, Jim Zorn has said.

Pete Kendall has the day off to rest his knees, as is usual for him. He will play Sunday.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 19, 2008; 1:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alexander, Plackemeier Staying Medium
Next: Skins by the Numbers

Comments

flounder, does vios have onDemand comparable to comcast?

Posted by: dealer1 | November 19, 2008 1:42 PM |

It has very good on demand I have not had Comcast in a long time so not sure how good there on demand is.

The Internet is way faster then Comcast and they are adding more HD channels all the time.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

What is this FIOS of which you speak? (comcast is hugely dominant in the Houston market, and AT and T is trying to break in)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 19, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Sorry that should be FIOS not vios.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a fan of FIOS. I don't like signing a contract and have had nothing but disapointment in any dealings I've had with Verizon.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 19, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

any updates on Kelly? Do they expect him to be active sunday?

Posted by: jsmavisd | November 19, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

johnD,

Fios is from Verizon it is there TV offering. The only problem is they have to run fiber from the street to the house which is taken a long time to get the service to the masses.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Ah ha...well, I won't expect to see that anytime soon in Houston.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 19, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

At this moment, Kelly is expected to be active Sunday.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | November 19, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 19, 2008 1:46 PM |

Never had a problem with Verizon I have tv, cell, internet and home phone I get one bill it is awesome.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

At this moment, Kelly is expected to be active Sunday.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | November 19, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I hope that spells into production i.e. a redzone grab for a TD.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 19, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

At this moment, Kelly is expected to be active Sunday.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | November 19, 2008 1:49 PM

Active active, or Shawn Springs active?

Posted by: 4-12 | November 19, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rc2223 | November 19, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

If you are in a place that you can get Verizon Vios get it, way better then comcast or Direct TV.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Sadly the only 2 options in my building are Comcast or Direct TV, and the whole sticking the satellite in a tub of cement and putting it on one of my balconies is less then ideal. + at least with comcast I get internet with the options I got.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES, as always, brought to you by Yahoo!

A draining loss on Sunday night set off new alarm bells for our team. Of particular concern, for the second straight week, we scored zero points in the 2nd half and the o-line was badly beaten on a regular basis. Obviously these two things are related. I've commented on the limited success of 2nd round WRs before, so now I turn my attention to one guy.

Its time to look at 3rd round o-lineman. In other words, what are the odds like for Chad Reinhart?

I looked at all G and OTs picked in the 3rd round between 2005-2007. I measure success in 3 grades. Starters, backups and not in the league.

Of the 105 players picked, only 5 were guards (and no centers). Two never made it past their first season 1 is not currently on any roster. Jason Spitz starts for GB and Richie Incognito, who we all remember from the StL game, also starts.

There were 10 offensive tackles picked, 4 currently start. Nick Kaczur for NE. Eric Winston starts for Houston and Marshall Yanda was starting for Baltimore before going on IR. Ryan Harris starts for Denver.

Rashad Butler, Trai Essex and Adam Snyder are backups. Paul McQuistan had occasional starts for the Raiders and is on IR.

The other two 2 are out of the league

None of the 15 has made a Pro Bowl -- but only 1 of the 105 drafted players in round 3 between 2005-2007 has made it (Frank Gore).

So there it is. 15 OL drafted in round 3. All now in at least their second year in the league. 6 starters, 4 backups and 5 not playing.

So what does that mean for Chad Reinhart? The odds are roughly evenly split among 3 possibilities: starter, backup and never does anything.

Looking at round 1 and 2 picks in the same years, the OL results are much better. 28 picks, 4 have gone to the Pro Bowl. Only a handful haven't become starters.

What this says: If the Skins are serious about bringing youth into the line via the draft, they'll need to pick 15 guys to get 5, unless they start going after guys in top rounds

What has management done? They have only picked 4 OL in the last 6 drafts, 2 in round 3, one in round 6 and one i round 7. Other than Reinhart, the two lower picks are out of the league and Dockery is starting for Buffalo. Clearly, they have not made a serious attempt to bring young talent onto the o-line.

And that is ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES for this week, as always, brought to you by Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 19, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Also I hear that DC is not letting the FIOS guys in the market because they would have to gut so much of the old out of date cables.

I swear sometimes that our nations greatest burden long term is going to be our inability to give up on the infrastructure of the 19th and 20th century, and move to building a culture better suited to the 21st and 22nd.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

i HATE verizon as well. but have had only their land line. never cell or fios. their customer service is the worst i've ever dealt with.

i have comcast and just downgraded their internet from $45 to the $25 level and i haven't noticed any difference in speed. i guess it says more about what i do on the internet than anything...i don't have limewire or other junk running...

ondemand is really the most awesome feature of having comcast.

Posted by: dealer1 | November 19, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't disagree more, until anybody else can offer the Sunday Ticket, it's DirecTV or nothing for me.

My fingers crossed (and a few prayers lifted) for Kelly to keep moving forward and NO SETBACKS.

Posted by: craig2 | November 19, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2008 2:00 PM |

I thought Verizon finally worked the FIOS thing out with the DC government and would start installing FIOS next year (except in your apartment, of course). It just took longer to find and bribe ALL the right people in DC than in many other jurisdictions. It's not an infrastructure problem but a regulatory problem.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 19, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

4-12 just asked what has to be the best question of the day as far as I'm concerned!!!

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | November 19, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

agreed, no setbacks for Kelly. Nothing but good stuff from here on in, hopefully....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 19, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

TE
had not heard they worked things out. If so good. But I stand by my statement that we are still bogging ourselves down in the 19th and 20th centuries infrastructure. Its all part of my great big book, "why we're F*&@ed and the third world will eventually take over... for kids"

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

the publisher liked that title more than
"Why you were screwed by your grandparents"
they thought that may be misconstrued.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

since the FO has shown no desire to draft good O-line, or D-line personnel, who should they go after as free agents? Haynesworth a DT at Tennessee is avaialbe, but not sure of the O-line. Brandon Jacobs is a free agent too. Imagine a few good O-linemen, and CP and Jacobs wearing out a D!

Posted by: lsskinsfan | November 19, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

alex,

After I wrote that I tried to find a news source, and maybe "worked it out" is premature. Looks like it got settled with the DC administration and is awaiting approval by the Council. So, there's still a few more people who need to get paid off.

Your book sounds boring. Try a different topic.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 19, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Dealer,

I have Comcast as well and the on demand is fantastic. I've had some issues with my digital channels freezing from time to time but other than that Comcast has been ok.

I've heard a lot of good things about FIOS. A lot of my friends have it ans love it but I've had phone, cell and tried DSL through Verizon and they've all been nightmares. You're spot on about the customer service, the only thing worse than their customer service is their Tech Support. Just miserable.

oh yeah, go skins.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 19, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

thank you Cindy!

Posted by: jsmavisd | November 19, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

As far as free agency goes, I'd like to see a a G/T type brought in to replace Jansen/Thomas possibly, as well as a LB to replace MWashington. Then I think you draft a DT in the first, and a T in the third...just my .02.

Right now, however I'd love to see the offense start to click against Seattle..

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 19, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I must be lucky but I've always had good service from Verizon. I'm with Comcast now, but Verizon was better. Went through a spell with RCN which was really impossible. And, when we go to the Eastern Shore of Virginia in the summer, Verizon there is fantastic. Great, helpful people and good service on phone and DSL, including tech support. Of course, ESV is a different culture entirely from DC.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 19, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Markin21132 | November 19, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Cindy - Betts is ok?

Monty expected to be out again?

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 19, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse