On Twitter: Insider and PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS
Posted at 7:46 AM ET, 02/18/2011

Roster analysis: Players could miss workout bonuses because of labor deal standoff

By J.I. Halsell
J.I. Halsell

It's increasingly looking like a new labor deal will not be hashed out by the start of the 2011 league year on March 4. While the subsequent lockout will preclude unrestricted free agents from signing new contracts and being paid substantial signing bonuses, the financial impact in the month of March isn't just limited to players looking to sign new deals.

Across the league, March is when clubs begin their offseason conditioning programs. By fully participating in these conditioning programs, players may earn a minimum of $8,120 as mandated by the CBA -- not exactly an incentive to participate in relation to what many players make over the course of a season. Some player contracts, however, contain workout bonuses that pay well above the CBA-mandated $8,120 for participating in at least 85 percent of the workouts.

In the case of the Redskins, there are seven players whose contracts contain pure workout bonuses. The bonuses total $1,337,000 in potential earnings that could be missed if an extended lockout precludes the Redskins from having an offseason conditioning program. Topping the list is cornerback DeAngelo Hall, whose contract contains a $500,000 workout bonus, and quarterback Donovan McNabb, whose deal has a $250,000 workout bonus. This list also includes players like tight end Chris Cooley and linebacker London Fletcher, who each have $100,000 workout bonuses.

Not included in the $1,337,000 figure are players like defensive end Vonnie Holiday, nose tackle Ma'ake Kemoeatu and guard Artis Hicks, who have roster bonuses predicated on participation in at least 85 percent of the offseason conditioning program.

Offseason conditioning programs typically run until June. The longer it takes the league and the union to come to an agreement on a new CBA, the more difficult it will be to reconcile how to make up for players' lost wages from offseason programs.

J.I. Halsell spent two seasons as a salary cap analyst for the Washington Redskins and now pens a blog entitled "Under the Cap" for FootballOutsiders.com. Follow him on Twitter at @SalaryCap101.

By J.I. Halsell  | February 18, 2011; 7:46 AM ET
Categories:  Roster analysis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Asst. coaches worry about pay during a lockout
Next: Redskins won't hold camp at George Mason this year

Comments

This is the FIRST I have heard of this.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm liking the work of Halsell and Mike Jones. Keep it up guys.

Posted by: paperwc | February 18, 2011 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Actually, when some players begin to miss out on money, then that is when the real grumbling will start. It isn't real until that first paycheck doesn't show up. Now, the players should be pushing back to the union to reimburse that amount if a deal hasn't been struck before that date. They pay the union a lot of money to make sure they get paid. The union is falling down on their job when they can't come through with the money.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm liking the work of Halsell and Mike Jones. Keep it up guys.

Posted by: paperwc | February 18, 2011 8:21 AM
------------------------------------------
Let me echo that sentiment. It's been refreshing.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 8:25 AM | Report abuse

zcezcest1

congratulations on sweeping us this year.

carlson made the mistake that led to the first goal of the game. he was called up at the end of last season and played well, but he's making alot of mistakes this year. only three penalties in last nights game.

Posted by: hessone | February 18, 2011 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I don't see any settlement on the horizon. The owners want that money back they gave up in the last collective bargaining agreement and I think they'll get it. This will get as ugly as a REDSKINS season anytime in the last decade excepting the GIBBS reprise of course.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 18, 2011 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm liking the work of Halsell and Mike Jones. Keep it up guys.

Posted by: paperwc | February 18, 2011 8:21 AM
------------------------------------------
Let me echo that sentiment. It's been refreshing.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 8:25 AM

We'll have a real nice rotation when/if the fighter pilot comes back from hiatus.

Oh and the the Football Insider videos too...can't forget about those.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 8:34 AM | Report abuse

damn, i wish when i do my 2 mile run and do my workout routine my pockets would fill with cash

Posted by: hessone | February 18, 2011 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | February 18, 2011 8:45 AM

run to an ATM a mile from your home

Posted by: beep-beep | February 18, 2011 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Wow... DeAngelo Hall gets a $500K workout bonus?

DMac gets $250K?

I thought those kind of numbers were reserved for people who need the motivation, like Fat Al and Portis.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 18, 2011 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Hey look, I'm playing a tiny violin to express my sympathy that you rich, overpaid athletes will not get a few hundred thousand more for doing your jobs.

Posted by: futbolclif | February 18, 2011 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Alright folks...if this passes for breaking Redskins news, then I think it's time for another hot chick discussion. With Adrianne Palicki being named Wonder Woman, do you think she's a good pick for the role or should NBC producers go another direction?

If it were my call, I would have gone with Malin Akerman...smokin' hot and she's shown she can rock the hell out of a superhero costume:

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 18, 2011 9:09 AM | Report abuse

@hessone, yeah, it sounds like an eating, sleeping, and pooping bonus. I'd be a billionaire w/in two seasons.

Posted by: dcsween | February 18, 2011 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I like Halsell as well, but since the league and union just announced yesterday that they will use federal mediation and are sitting down for 7 straight days of negotiation- Can't we maybe get more creative than the standard "It's looking more and more like there won't be an agreement/season/etc..." tag line?

Every article about the NFL feels compelled to open with some form of this!

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 18, 2011 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Wonder Woman should have bigger hips, broader shoulders, bigger boobs. Brooklyn Decker.

Posted by: dcsween | February 18, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Oh and the the Football Insider videos too...can't forget about those.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 8:34 AM | Report abuse

No, but we can try.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 18, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Lynda Carter's only like 60 or so, right? That would get beep to tune in.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Sween, Brooklyn isn't a bad call...I heard some talk about Christina Hendricks in the role, but I don't think you wanna get Wonder Woman TOO curvy. I mean, she does have to fight...

I never heard of Palicki before now, but she's 5'11"...gotta think being an actual Amazon actually helps your case...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 18, 2011 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I hope the producers of the new Wonder Woman show don't give us the ridiculous spectacle of her piloting an invisible plane while still plainly visible herself. Isn't a reclining, flamboyantly dressed, gorgeous Amazon zipping through the air at MACH I more conspicuous than say...a normal airplane?

Posted by: MColeman51 | February 18, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I wish I could get a workout bonus.

I did my forearm and wrist exercise before work this morning, but that has it's own bonus.

And if a CBA is not reached I will die.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 18, 2011 9:54 AM | Report abuse

How does she even find her invisible airplane?

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 9:55 AM | Report abuse

from last night, scamp/anygiven:

"You should come down (or up) for the Bluefish Derby, in September...
www.mvderby.com"

if your gonna do it, come up and do the Monster Shark tourney in July....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 18, 2011 8:30 AM

Yep Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts..rode a boat at that tourney a few years ago... its all a blur now.. booze, blood (shark's), bikinis that went topless once we left shore..(as is the Vineyard tradition). Then more blood when they had the sharks hanging upside down at the Oak Bluffs pier.
good times.. burrrp..

Posted by: onanygivensunday | February 18, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

How does she even find her invisible airplane?

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 9:55 AM
------------------------------------------
She has this sixth sense that is very similar to the one we all use to find our car the morning after a night of hard drinking. Or maybe she just has LoJack.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | February 18, 2011 9:50 AM
------------------------------------------
Yeah, Wonder Woman the character never really interested me. I used to watch the Lynda Carter series because of getting to see the bod, but really the whole premise is stupid. Invisible planes? Magic lasso's? Please. What they need is the Kick Ass version of a Super Heroine. Obviously she still needs to show off the bod, but let's see someone who actually gets beaten up from time to time. And trade in that magic lasso for twin mini-guns...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Bit of the shark claret from Martha's Vineyard, is it?? Edward Gorey lived over there ("Mystery" intro cartoonist), would like to visit some day..

Posted by: frak | February 18, 2011 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Mark Schlereth: Control freak Mike Shanahan should let his coaches coach
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 18, 2011, 9:51 AM EST
Mark Schlereth played for Mike Shanahan for six years in Denver, getting to a Pro Bowl and earning two Super Bowl rings along the way. Schlereth says Shanahan is a great coach, and he thinks Shanahan has the ability to succeed with the Redskins.

But Schlereth also thinks Shanahan needs to let go and stop trying to do everything.

“I would say the one criticism I have is a lot of times he’s such a control freak that he doesn’t allow his coaches to coach,” Schlereth said on Mike and Mike in the Morning. “I think that’s an issue. You have to have a system of checks and balances where you can argue, you can fight and you can say, ‘We’re not going to do it that way.’ I don’t know that he still has that in the place that he is now, or at the end of his tenure in Denver.”

In other words, it’s Shanahan’s way or the highway, and if one of his assistants has an idea that conflicts with Shanahan’s, he doesn’t want to hear it. Hiring his son as his offensive coordinator and an old friend as his defensive coordinator is consistent with that.

Schlereth said Shanahan’s refusal to let his coaches coach is largely because he thoroughly enjoys the detail-oriented aspects of coaching more than he enjoys the big picture.

“He loves that stuff,” Schlereth said. “I think that’s one of the toughest things for any coach to do is let go of that stuff.”

Still, Schlereth isn’t writing off Shanahan’s chances of turning the Redskins around.

“There’s no question of his ability to coach,” Schlereth said. “I think that goes unquestioned. The guy has won championships before. I really believe putting guys in positions to win, offensively, I think he’s done that exceptionally well.”

At least, he did it exceptionally well in Denver in the 1990s. In 2010 in Washington, not so much.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 18, 2011 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm going to file this one in the "so what?" category.

Don't know why any of these highly overpaid "professional" athletes should need to be motivated with extra bonus money to stay and report in shape.

This sort of system is also rife with abuse -- such as, recall when Portis laughingly boasted a couple of off-seasons ago that he decided to forego the couple hundred thousand in "chump change" for staying in shape, presumably because his "pockets" were already "straight."

And we won't even mention Haynesworth's earnest "promise" to get into the best possible shape of his career during the last off-season -- despite foregoing all of the team's optional and most of the mandatory off-season conditioning and training programs.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 18, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Mark Schlereth: Control freak Mike Shanahan should let his coaches coach
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 18, 2011, 9:51 AM EST

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 18, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Nice h8, beat me to it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 18, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Why are you copying me scamp?

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 18, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

What they need is the Kick Ass version of a Super Heroine.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 10:12 AM

Somewhere, Charlie Sheen is getting the wrong idea...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 18, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | February 18, 2011 10:12 AM

MV is an odd place ... Sorta like Russia on a very small scale.
You're either rich or poor. No middle class.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | February 18, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

All that Adderall talk last night makes me want one.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 18, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Denver is going to let Ryan Harris walk. I think we need to make a move for him. He's 25 and fits our scheme perfectly. This is the type of free agent we need.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | February 18, 2011 10:12 AM

MV is an odd place ... Sorta like Russia on a very small scale.
You're either rich or poor. No middle class.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | February 18, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Nicest place to have a summer home- Wrightsville Beach, NC.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 18, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

"You're either rich or not there"

fixed it for ya...that island weeds out the poor/middle class...they don't suffer the non-rich...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 18, 2011 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I like it. Shanny drafted him.

Do you have a link with an article?

Did you use the 2 source rule?

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 18, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 10:27 AM
------------------------------------------
I co-sign.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

What they need is the Kick Ass version of a Super Heroine.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 10:12 AM

Somewhere, Charlie Sheen is getting the wrong idea...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 18, 2011 10:24 AM
-------------------------------------------
That could be the title of Charlie Sheen's autobiography...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I like it. Shanny drafted him.

Do you have a link with an article?

Did you use the 2 source rule?

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 18, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Fox and PFT have it so you know it's legit. I guess they tried to trade him last year when he got hurt. I doubt Fox keeps the ZBS anyway so he is expendable.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Good work PAskins.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 18, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Idk about Ryan Harris

Sure shanty is familiar with him but we swapped picks last yr for Jamal brown

Brown needs work, he's looking more recovered from his injury and I think we could resign him cheap.

We need consistency with who our lineman r gonna be, that the main reason I'd like one of our top 2 picks to be OL.

We got too many needs for one year..... We need 3 drafts with all our picks

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like the league really, really F_'d up the Superbowl. I guess it goes beyond the 400 who didn't get their seats. Man. If you can't get seats for the execs from the paying sponsors, who can you get seats for?

Something else I have wondered about is Charlotte Jones' - Jerry Jones' duaghter's - involvement in the Super Bowl fiasco. I know she was on the committee to get the Super Bowl there and I know she put together the Thanksgiving half time show. How much involvement did she have in the Super Bowl fiasco and how hard is Daddy trying to keep her name out of the press?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

What's all this Ryan Harris talk?

What happened to the Wonder Woman thread?

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I like it. Shanny drafted him.

Do you have a link with an article?

Did you use the 2 source rule?

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 18, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 10:36 AM
------------------------------------------
I heard John Fox is taking the Bronco's back to a 4-3. I think this makes for some interesting trade possibilities between Denver and Washington since the Redskins will be offloading some 4-3 players they might want.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Hayny & acarter99 for Elvis dummervil.
?????

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Shanallenkyle can get all their old offensive players back through free agency and we can use the entire draft on defense.

Mike Shanhan-Ryan Harris
Bruce Allen-Davin Joseph
Kyle Shanahan-Jacoby Jones

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Hayny & acarter99 for Elvis dummervil.
?????

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 10:59 AM

Perhaps we could forge a friendly alliance with Fox and the Broncos...swap players for each others needs since we're both in transition...anything else they have that we want? How's their punter?

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Rumors are the next guy we want is gonna get franchised also, r kalil, center from Carolina

Ron rivera debating between him n DE Charles Johnson

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Brandon, seems to me Ryan Harris was only came available after we already got Brown...but I could be wrong on that.

He's a low cost/high reward kinda pickup so I hope we make a run at him. I hear he also plays RG, so putting him next to Brown could be a nice play...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 18, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Holy SHti!

Did anyone else catch the Gilbert toin coss in Threat Level Midnight last night?

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 18, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 10:55 AM

Wow...that would be a beautiful thing if we could pull it. Even if we just sent them Carter and AH for Jamal Williams straight up I'd take it. Williams is from D.C. and at worst would be a one-year stopgap at NT. If I'm Bruce Allen, I'm on the phone with Elway right damn now, labor unrest be damned...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 18, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Mike Shanhan-Ryan Harris
Bruce Allen-Davin Joseph
Kyle Shanahan-Jacoby Jones

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 11:06 AM

I doubt Joseph hits the market, but if he does that would be a GREAT haul...

Brandon, I totally forgot about Dumervil...if they go to a 4-3, he goes back to being a marginal DE and they almost have to trade him. Coming off a season-ending injury, he should be available at a reasonable price too...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 18, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Hayny & acarter99 for Elvis dummervil.
?????

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 10:59 AM
-----------------------------------------
Nothing so grand. Maybe Carter for Hunter, or something like that. Haynesworth for a bag of chips would be a good trade, but Fox won't want him.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Let's compare the Schlereth comments/article in February 2011 to ZEKE's comments in November of 2010:

Schlereth: “he’s such a control freak that he doesn’t allow his coaches to coach. You have to have a system of checks and balances where you can argue, you can fight and you can say, ‘We’re not going to do it that way.’ I don’t know that he still has that in the place ...”

ZEKE: Shanahan has absolute power to do what he wants in DC. No checks, no balances. He is a control freak that understands power.

Schlereth: Schlereth also thinks Shanahan needs to let go and stop trying to do everything.

ZEKE: Of all the changes Shanahan will need to make, the one that maybe most important is to find someone he can trust to handle some of the key responsibilities he currently takes on himself. Simply put, I think a major problem with this team is that Shanahan is trying to do too many jobs.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 18, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Idk about Ryan Harris

Sure shanty is familiar with him but we swapped picks last yr for Jamal brown

We got too many needs for one year..... We need 3 drafts with all our picks

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't Ryan also play guard? If Brown stays and is healthier than last year, having a quick, strong guy like Ryan at Guard would work wonders for this O-line. Not to mention he'd be a players coach as well with his experience with the system.

Posted by: Devo2 | February 18, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Bwood

My thoughts exactly. Dummervil was a bust until they put him at OLB

Sadly we would have to part with a pick for him, which we don't have extras to spare

Ryan Harris at RG sounds good to me. Hicks can took over his role as a back up

Ryan Harris + Ryan kalil (if not franchised) + a draftee/capers would be solid improvements IMO

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 18, 2011 11:24 AM

Agreed...if Gibbs spent 24 hours a day at Redskins Park even delegating as much as he did...no way Shanny can pull this big of a job off all by himself.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty much convinced at this point we aren't getting pouncey but one could love to dream....

Twilliams, pouncey, kalil, Harris, brown..... That would be our best o line in a very very long time

Because this is what I want I'm sure none of those 3 additions will come to fruition

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Brandon, I'd be willing to part with a 2012 pick for him since we have an exta 4th rounder from the JC trade...I'm sure with 4-3 players we don't need and a conditional pick, we could make something like that happen for Dumervil...

And stop with the Kalil stuff...dude will get punished by NTs and I'd bet the house he's the guy the Panthers franchise...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 18, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"You're either rich or not there"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 18, 2011 10:30 AM

Agreed...
Its bizarre when you see the group houses (mostly Brazilian occupied) in Vineyard Haven... In the summer, they're sleeping a dozen in a room on the floor, within site of 20 million dollar water front homes (second homes).

Posted by: onanygivensunday | February 18, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 11:34 AM

That's the spirit brandon! haha...but seriously, can you hope for the opposite then? For the sake of us and the redskins?

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Bwood

I haven't heard that bout kalil?? Is he weak at the point of attack??

What's ur answer for our starting center?? I'm not sure if there's a center out there worse than him at actual protection, run n pass. I kno he's calling card is the line calls but that would make him a good coach to me, not necessarily a good player, he's way way past his prime....

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Bob Sanders cut by IND.

Off the top of my head I don;t know if his skill set is Free or Strong, but what does everyone think?

Maybe Haslett can convince him to quit throwing himself at ball carriers like a guided missile and patrol our FS spot next year?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 18, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I doubt Joseph hits the market, but if he does that would be a GREAT haul...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 18, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's not looking good. The Bucs really like him and have a ton of money to spend. They also do not like his backup.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Harris would be a nice addition, though I'm not sure the new HC in Denver will part with him as readily as the last guy might have. I think Fox likes OL guys.

We're going to need to do a lot of work on both lines in this offseason -- it'll likely take draft + FA + trade to do the job.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 18, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Haha playaction

Ya it's like when I was in the navy, if it makes to much sense don't even bother mentioning it because they want you to be confused, keeps questions to a minimum.

Sadly I couldn't root for us to do much worse than last yr. We ended with 6 wins but I think we were 4 or 5 plays away from 2 wins. Atleast the game I went to was a W, season opener vs Dallas, orakpo getting held that game is what I think started the non calls against him.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Holy caca colts release bob sanders!?!?!?!?!?

You can't say he's not worth signing!!!!!

His dang injury history is probly why

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Waiting, isn't Bob Sanders' skill set Injured?

I agree we need a free safety, but I'm afraid creaky ol' Bob would be Shawn Springs 2.0... a guy I loved but who could not be counted on to stay on the field.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 18, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"Brandon, I'd be willing to part with a 2012 pick for him since we have an exta 4th rounder from the JC trade..."

AAAH, so we do have a 4th!! That means we're pretty much short a 3 only. I'd be okay if we got a decent QB who fell to 4, but no 1 or 2 on a QB, got some big holes in the trenches to fill..

Posted by: frak | February 18, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I think about 5 or 6 teams have franchise tagged players so far this offseason. Fortunately, the Skins don't have to worry about tagging anyone.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 18, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Oh, 2012..err, I'm only braindead flatlining today, don't mind me..

Posted by: frak | February 18, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Ya sanders has injury history, so does Kareem soft as butter Moore.

Atleast when sanders is back there he can be a difference maker for us, instead of the other team

The play that stands out to me for Moore is his whiffed tackle of b Jacobs 4yds in the backfield that turned into a 40 yd run

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Hayny & acarter99 for Elvis dummervil.
?????

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 10:59 AM

Wont work as it turn out Elvis Dumervil is in fact to small to play 3-4 OLB, as ive been told. To bad to cause i like him.

Posted by: Stu27 | February 18, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I picture Wonder Woman having grossen titzen and kleine sitzen.

Posted by: chopin224 | February 18, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 11:18 AM

You can't trade Carter. He has a no-trade clause. Trade him and it voids his contract. He's due a large bonus this off season so the Redskins will cut him instead of paying it. He's going to be a free agent.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 18, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 18, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I hear ya Nate. The only caveat would be if Sanders would be willing to adjust his style of play and be more of a safety net than enforcer. He has been one of the most fearless/reckless defenders I've ever seen during his career. He needs to tone it down to stay in the league and prolong his career. But then who knows if he's anywhere near as good if he's not going 1000 miles an hour?

Unfortunately LL is headed the same direction. You saw it this year with his injuries. Guys like these are awesome to root for as fans, but they simply can't stay on the field playing the way they do.

The old catch-22 I guess.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 18, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

The fantasyland wish list keepsngrowin for us offseason champs

Coin toss for FS

Bob sanders/champ bailey/ Kevin barnes...????

Or sign all 3???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Ya it's like when I was in the navy

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 11:47 AM

Hey...did you know Brian Burke?

Good to hear you lucked out going to one of their few home wins...very happy I finally dropped my tix...I would have been miserable...more than usual.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | February 18, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Uh...Yeah. He's so ill suited for OLB in a 3-4 that he led the league in sacks his only year playing in that system.

Please.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 18, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Stu

I don't think he is too small considering for most of the season I believe he lead the league in sacks....

Size doesn't matter on the field, production does.

Playaction

Ya my buddy from HS invited me to the game cuz I was in town from Cali, the fans were so pumped that day, we had no clue how the season was gonna unfold for us.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I haven't heard that bout kalil?? Is he weak at the point of attack??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 11:42 AM

Don't get me wrong, Kalil is a good player...it's just that power ain't his game (he's barely 290 pounds) and I doubt he's a guy you could count on to go toe-to-toe with beefy NTs and win. For the money it would take to sign him, it won't be worth it, IMO.

I just think we're better off either drafting a guy or going with Lichtensteiger there in the meantime (he's better suited at C than LG). Baby steps...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 18, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know how much cap space we could free up with the departure of..... Cp?? DMac?? Ah???

I know were around 40mil but I imagine with those 3 gone it'll be much higher I think

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Bwood

I usually agree with most of ur stuff but lichtenscrotey as the starter???

I'd take will Montgomery over him. I kno licht is a shanny guy but unless he's gotten some unsung talents I pray he's not the answer

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm not clear on cap space, but it would free up a tremendous amount of physical space. And wasted space. And police blotter space.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 18, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Alright, before y'all get carried away on Bob Sanders, he's not a FS...he's a SS. Which is one of the few positions on defense we DON'T need to address.

Secondly, he's played 9 games the last 3 years and missed 39. Even at the veteran's minimum it's sketchy to rely on a guy to be a starter for you when he can only get on the field an average of 3 times a year.

Plus, he's going on 30...even if he comes in healthy, he probably won't stay that way for long.

It's sad because he's such a dominant player when he is healthy...but it's been proven on a near-annual basis (he's only played more than 6 games twice in his career) that he can't hold up under the rigors of a full NFL season.

As for Dumervil, he's too small to be an every-down DE in a 4-3 but as a 3-4 OLB, he's about the same size as James Harrison so it works better for him to stay there. If Denver is smart, they'll get something for him before he goes from a young James Harrison to a reverse Andre Carter...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 18, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Yessir.

I've been barking for months that Ryan Harris should be our top FA priority.

Drafted by Shanny, groomed in the zone-block scheme, has the tools to play tackle or guard, 25 years old, seems to have his head on straight, bounced back from injury...what's not to like?

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Re: Ryan Harris

This is reporting that the Skins explored a trade scenario for Harris last season at some point (along with other teams).

Time to amp it up FO!!! These are the investments to make!!

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I've been barking for months

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:20 PM

If there's one thing sock puppets hate...its dogs!!!

Brandon...I think the skins were a little over 50 mill under the cap last year.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Re: Bob Sanders

No. Just no. No to every single FA that is going to be 30yrs old when the season begins.

Can we make a blog rule to just ban discussion about 30+ FAs up here?

Especially ones that pull up with injury when a stiff wind blows against them.

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I think the skins were a little over 50 mill under the cap last year.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 12:23 PM

Last year was an uncapped year.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 18, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Re: 30+ FAs

With the exception of Robert Gallery.

I'd bring him in for the right price. If the losers we have at LG can;t get their act together again this year, then I put him in the lineup while Erik Cook gets up to speed.

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Bob sanders/champ bailey/ Kevin barnes...????

Or sign all 3???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Neither. Robert Sands, aka the predator, aka the sandman. 6'5 225. Can prob be had in the fifth round.

"Sands, who is from southern Florida, said he tries to model his game after Kenny Phillips, Ed Reed and Sean Taylor."
Joe Schad is a college football reporter for ESPN.com.

Dude was know as one of the hardest hitter in the league. Is a 6'5 ball hawk. They stopped throwing to his side. WV runs a 3-3-5 odd stack, which equates well into a 3-4 as far as Dback play is concerned.

Ah and im down with Elvis, he is one of my fav players. I was jk'in cause people up here said Von Miller is to small to make it as a 3-4 OLB. Im like whaaa dude gets to the QB and there all like naw man to small cant be done. Elvis can get it done but i dont see how we get him. We would have to give a lot up. He lead the league in sacks two years ago.

Posted by: Stu27 | February 18, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Harris will come to dc, wether our newly tightened pockets sign him for what he wants could be the difference

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Can we make a blog rule to just ban discussion about 30+ FAs up here?

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:24 PM

Yes to Santana Moss. No to your blog rule. Alternate blog rule: p1funk can neither read nor comment on discussions of 30+ FAs.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 18, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I usually agree with most of ur stuff but lichtenscrotey as the starter???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 12:09 PM

Keim at the Examiner crowed about him being a better C than LG damn near all season...said it was part of the reason he struggled at LG. I'd be willing to see what he's got in training camp and have him compete with Monty.

I just don't wanna spend top dollar chasing a guy who is probably gonna have similar struggles against opposing NTs. We've got decent enough options in place to address it in next year's draft if we can't get one this year.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 18, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | February 18, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Does Von Miller have it on the game tape?

That's what I care about.

Vernon Gholston was supposedly had prototype size/speed/strength/athleticism for a 3-4 OLB - now the Jets are trying him at DE one last time before taking him to the dump. The knock on Gholston was that he didn't bring it consistently on the game tape.

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Last year was an uncapped year.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 18, 2011 12:26 PM

I know beepster...thank you...just trying to give my friend brandon a gauge.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

In light of the Bob Sanders release, for those of you wondering how much the Redskins can save by releasing certain vets (ie, Haynesworth, McNabb), see my December entry: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/roster-analysis/roster-analysis-the-redskins-c.html

Posted by: JIHalsell | February 18, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JIHalsell

Halsell, you're a welcome addition to this blog

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 18, 2011 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Halsell, you're a welcome addition to this blog

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 18, 2011 12:35 PM

You are. And if we'd known you were reading our comments we would have been a bit more circumspect. Last year was an uncapped year, wasn't it?

Posted by: beep-beep | February 18, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Bwood

I'm down for either along as waybach is on the sideline.

Who are ur top 2 picks this yr wood??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm not looking up 'circumspect'.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

JI Halsell - Eat a crap-sandwich you sock puppet!

Just kidding.

If you're going to be part of the comments section, though, that's the only way to get broken in around here.

Anywho - Is there a benefit cap-wise to teams that are cutting players now, as opposed to after the March 4 deadline when CBA expires?

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

game winning goal in last night's Sharks-Caps game came on a slap shot by Dan Boyle. No rebounds, mind you, just redirects of the shot while in the air.

The shot got redirected 3 times, the shooter didn't even get an assist. Heatley got the goal, Thornton and Pavelski the assists.

Not sure I've ever seen 3 redirects on a single shot.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 18, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Can we make a blog rule to just ban discussion about 30+ FAs up here?

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:24 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | February 18, 2011 12:29 PM
-----------------------------------------
Addendum to alternate blog rule" p1funk can neither read nor comment on discussions of 30- FAs, too.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm not looking up 'circumspect'.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 12:49 PM
-----------------------------------------
Circum-specs are what the Rabbi uses at the Bris, so he can see what he is doing.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 12:58 PM

Cool thanks RSH...beep must be drunk then...what he said makes no sense.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I prefer 30+...

like 36, 26, 38... just leave out the... 7....
...ew...

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 18, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

he has been arguably the best pass rusher in college over the last two years. Plenty of tape of the Aggie.

Posted by: Stu27 | February 18, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

circumspect=schmuck.

It's what they trow away when the moyle is done...

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 18, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

...I'm down for either along as waybach is on the sideline....

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 18, 2011 12:38 PM

Better yet, trade him to another NFC East team. He would be our team's sack leader if he got credit for all the times he stepped on his own QBs foot out of the snap.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 18, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

njonnews.

ATHENS, Ga. -- Longtime Washington Redskins assistant Kirk Olivadotti is Georgia's new inside linebackers coach.

Coach Mark Richt on Friday announced the hiring of Olivadotti, who was with the Redskins for 11 years.

Olivadotti replaces Warren Belin, who took a job on the Carolina Panthers' new staff. Olivadotti is the son of longtime NFL defensive coach Tom Olivadotti.

Kirk Olivadotti coached the Redskins' linebackers from 2007 to 2009. In 2009, two of Olivadotti's linebackers, London Fletcher and Brian Orakpo, earned their first Pro Bowl bids.

Richt says Olivadotti is at the "top level in football knowledge and competency."

I think they needed some new blood. UGA D has looked so so as of late.

Posted by: Stu27 | February 18, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Not sure I've ever seen 3 redirects on a single shot.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 18, 2011 12:53 PM |
-----------

zc, i've seen it once, but one of the players was a defenseman from the other team and not three offensive players. sorry i missed it, i fell asleep during the second period. caps sure do struggle playing at the shark tank. i think it's been 17 years since we've won there

Posted by: hessone | February 18, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

From a team salary accounting perspective, there is no benefit to the club in releasing players such as Shaun Rogers or Bob Sanders at this juncture, as neither had bonus money coming due in March. If anything, the clubs have helped the player hit market sooner, as these players are now street free agents and may sign contracts immediately.

Posted by: JIHalsell | February 18, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | February 18, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Sure. Does he put it out there consistently?

Vernon Gholston would blow up for a game, then disappear for 2.

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JIHalsell | February 18, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha. Thanks.

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Stu,

But their grounds crew is first rate.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 18, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Do you think A-Rod is bringing Cameron D with to spring training? What a life. The bat rack during the day and her rack at night.

Posted by: PsyOps | February 18, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:24 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | February 18, 2011 12:29 PM
-----------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Whoop whoop to my fan club!

Thanks boys!

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

RE: Bob Sanders- He's a SS, Bethea is their FS. NO.

RE: Dumervil- terrible fit for the 4-3. In July 2010, Dumervil signed a six-year $61.5 million contract extension (including $43.168 million in guaranteed payments) to keep him with the Broncos through 2015.

RE: Ryan Harris- Yes

RE: Von Miller- not going to be around when we pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 18, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:24 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | February 18, 2011 12:29 PM
-----------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Whoop whoop to my fan club!

Thanks boys!

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 1:23 PM
-------------------------------------------
Don't mention it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Not sure I've ever seen 3 redirects on a single shot.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 18, 2011 12:53 PM |
-----------

Posted by: hessone | February 18, 2011

Here's a bit more on that shot from The Hockey News:

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Even though Dan Boyle took the shot on what proved to be the game-winning goal for San Jose, he didn't even get credit for an assist after the puck ricocheted off four sticks before making its way into the net.

Boyle's point shot deflected off a defender and two teammates before Dany Heatley got the final tip on the power-play goal that helped the Sharks beat Washington 3-2 Thursday night for their 14th win in their last 15 meetings with the Capitals.

Joe Pavelski and Joe Thornton ended up with the assists on the play after the puck glanced off their sticks before getting to Heatley, costing Boyle a point on the stat sheet but helping the Sharks get two needed points in the standings.

"Unbelievable, those three guys," Boyle said. "It is what it is, a win. A bunch of greasy forwards we got."

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 18, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

JI Halsell - Eat a crap-sandwich you sock puppet!

Just kidding.

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 12:52 PM

Not so fast pfunk...monk811 did mysteriously tell us that he would be 'away' for a few days? Hmmmmm....

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 12:58 PM

Cool thanks RSH...beep must be drunk then...what he said makes no sense.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 1:03 PM
------------------------------------------
Yeah, without those circum-specs, a lot of Jewish men would be women right now.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 18, 2011 1:26 PM |

Vin - dude, are you still gay?

Posted by: PsyOps | February 18, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Sure. Does he put it out there consistently?

Vernon Gholston would blow up for a game, then disappear for 2.

Posted by: p1funk | February 18, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

They are very diffrent players. Gohston had a much bigger frame and wasnt a sole sack specialist. Better run stopper. Von is smaller and a staight get to the QB specialtsit. Von suprised a lot of people in the senior bowl when he did great in pass coverage.

Bottom line, Vernon was never talked about as being the best pass rusher over multi years because he wasnt one of the best,

Von has exactly what you seem to desire, consistency. He played though injuries and had 11 sacks this year after having 18 last year. Not sure he has ever had more then 3 in a game so they are spread out.

Posted by: Stu27 | February 18, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 18, 2011 1:26 PM |

Vin - dude, are you still gay?

Posted by: PsyOps | February 18, 2011 1:32 PM

Why? Are you interested?

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 18, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 1:32 PM |

Did you know that Lorenna Bobbit went through rabbinical training just so she could do bris shti?

Posted by: PsyOps | February 18, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

RE: Von Miller- not going to be around when we pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 18, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Somebody has to be there at #10. If those 2 QBs grade out well then that's even better for us. you can list the prospects you think are going in the top 9 and there's still going to be 2-3 really great players for us to choose from.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 1:39 PM

I'm hoping Flabbert and Newton are off the board and that pushes either Quinn or Dareus to us @ #10.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 18, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 1:39 PM |

The Mighty Quinn will be there. Lots of upside to the dude. Wally World is impressed with him.

Posted by: PsyOps | February 18, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 11:18 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | February 18, 2011 11:55 AM
------------------------------------------
Everyone keeps saying that but I've read he could waive that clause for a deal that works out better for him - and moving to a 4-3 team would be better for him.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 18, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Diesel...Saying Dr. Doom is a terrible fit for the 4-3 is entirely unfair.

I live out here in the Denver market...when McDaniels came in, Dumervil, his agent, the fans and media were up in arms that he was going to be moved from 4-3 DE to 3-4 LB. It was very contentious.

He talked about not reporting/wanting a trade to a 4-3 team. The guy had come off like a 13 sack year playing DE in the 4-3. Also he was forcing fumbles all over the place, no T could block him he was so fast and low to the ground.

The fact is, Elvis Dumervil is a bad mofo. He can play in 1 3-4, a 4-3 a 5-2, a 1-6 you get my point. He's awesome regardless of scheme.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 18, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 1:32 PM |

Posted by: PsyOps | February 18, 2011 1:36 PM
-----------------------------------------
Did you hear Lorena Bobbit died in a car crash? Yep, some dik cut her off.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Everybody's building the big ships and boats
Som are building monuments, others jotting down notes
Everybody's in despair, every girl and boy
But when Quinn the Tar Heel gets here everybody's gonna jump for joy
Oh come all without, come all within
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn
Come all without, come all within
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn.

Posted by: PsyOps | February 18, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, without those circum-specs, a lot of Jewish men would be women right now.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 1:32 PM

Dan Snyder? Were the rabbi's circum-specs the right prescription? Did he wear distance vision when he should have worn reading?

Posted by: beep-beep | February 18, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm liking the work of Halsell and Mike Jones. Keep it up guys.

Posted by: paperwc | February 18, 2011 8:21 AM
------------------------------------------
Let me echo that sentiment. It's been refreshing.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I don't.It sucks man!!!

Posted by: joe12341 | February 18, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 18, 2011 1:42 PM

For some reason, every time I see the name "Flabbert" I envision Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 18, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PsyOps | February 18, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

There's quite a few scouts that think he's too tall to be a 3-4 OLB. He's 6-5. Dumerville is 5-11. I think he's a guy that I'd just have to watch on tape.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Did you hear Lorena Bobbit died in a car crash? Yep, some dik cut her off.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 18, 2011 1:46 PM |

Dik Shuttle?

Posted by: PsyOps | February 18, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 18, 2011 1:45 PM

5'11 248LB DE. I'd run at him until he tapped or gave the "Missio".

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 18, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure the 3-4 revolves around having big, tall athletic OLBs. Now, if height hinders the ability to drop/cover in receivers, OK, but in general you want big, tall, fast OLBs for a 3-4.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 18, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PsyOps | February 18, 2011 1:36 PM

Used to live on the block next to the corner that her husband's part was finally found by the police. Everytime I jogged by, there was a half dozen police looking through the grass around that intersection.... I realized I had jogged 2 feet from it each day when they eventually found it...of the side of the road. arggh

A little trivia.. I believed she worked at a hair salon called Snippets... Cant make this stuff up...

Posted by: onanygivensunday | February 18, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

5'11 248LB DE. I'd run at him until he tapped or gave the "Missio".

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 18, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

That's fine, but he's not a "terrible fit" in a 4-3.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 18, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

OK Halsell, if you're still hanging around -- can the Skins trade Andre Carter? Or is his contract structured such that there really isn't any good way to make that happen?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 18, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

BEEPS

SAVE THE DIVE ASS SOCK PUPPET WHALES!!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 18, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

FWIW...I had KFC a couple days ago...extra crispy...and it wasn't that bad.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 18, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I think we could get better value then Quinn with the number 10 pick.

Posted by: Stu27 | February 18, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Most of the coupons don't even work unless you use good websites some of them Printapons retail me not etc, so do some research before you buy anything!

Posted by: dayleslover | February 19, 2011 6:02 AM | Report abuse