Roster moves loom; Horton 'tweaks' knee

Another day, another injury, another corresponding roster move on the horizon. And a new twist - a bit of uncertainty surrounding safety Chris Horton.

First, the injury: punter Hunter Smith aggravated his lingering groin injury in practice Wednesday and will be inactive this week at Atlanta. Touted as one of the team's most important offseason additions, Smith's future seems a bit murkier than it did just a week ago. After missing two games with a groin injury, Smith returned to punt against Philadelphia. His status for the rest of the season is apparently up in the air.

"I don't want to put down Hunter because he's healing," Coach Jim Zorn said. "I don't want to put him down right now."

The team worked out two punters today and plan to sign Sam Paulescu, a former Oregon State punter who was with Dallas as an undrafted free agent in 2007 and again last year.

The team also worked out journeyman punter Reggie Hodges, a Ball State product who was selected by St. Louis in the sixth round of the 2005 NFL Draft. Since then, Hodges has spent time with at least a half dozen teams.

Zorn said Smith's lingering injury has been a frustrating one for the whole team.

"It's gotten to that point where I've got to make a decision," Zorn said. "And yet, I still want to give him another week and see if things get strong. He's trying to push as strong as he can."

The team must free up a roster spot to make room for Paulescu, and Zorn acknowledged that recently-signed running back Quinton Ganther would be a possible victim of numbers.

The team hopes another potential injury isn't as serious as Smith's. During practice Thursday, safety Chris Horton injured his knee. Zorn said he hoped it was simply a "tweak."

"I don't know the extent of it, but he couldn't finish practice," Zorn said.
Zorn didn't think Horton would require an MRI. "I hope he'll be fine," Zorn said. "I hope he'll practice tomorrow."

Zorn said Stephon Heyer fully participated in practice. Linebacker H.B. Blades worked out but still might be doubtful for Sunday's game. Cornerback Byron Westbrook did not practice and it doesn't look like he'll be ready for the Falcons'.

After practice, Zorn also addressed John Riggins' critical comments aimed at the organization. He said he didn't hear Riggins' comments but did read defensive coordinator Greg Blache's reaction from earlier in the day to Riggins' assertion that team owner Daniel Snyder has a "dark heart."

"I would concur that Dan Snyder is a guy that absolutely cares about other people," said Zorn. "He does not have that kind of attitude. I haven't been here all that long. I haven't been here as long as Greg's been here. But I have seen time and time again Dan reach out to anybody in this program and even the secondary parts of this program and help in any way he can when there's need. I've seen it. I would concur with what Greg had to say about Dan really caring about winning."

The Redskins changed the injury designation for H.B. Blades from "out" to "did not practice," according to a team spokesman. The change was made because the team believes that Blades, who underwent arthroscopic knee surgery during the bye week, may be able to practice tomorrow.

By Rick Maese  |  November 5, 2009; 4:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Smith re-injures groin; Paulescu to punt (updated)
Next: Campbell on Davis: 'We need him right now'

Comments

bad shooting at Fort Hood in TX....7 dead, 20 injured...shaking my head...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 5, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Saying 9 dead possibly 30 injured now.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 5, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I could give a rat's a

Posted by: periculum | November 5, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I could give a rat's a**hat how many yards that Portis the loser gets. I could give a rat's a**hat if he has 10,000 more than Smith or Walter Peyton. I don't care. Its wins and losses that matter and in that category he is well BELOW AVERAGE. NOT A GREAT running back by any guide or measuring rod. It is an insult to great running backs like Larry Brown to put him in the same category!

Posted by: periculum | November 5, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

2 shooters. F peri.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 5, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Who really cares what Zorn says anymore. He can't even get his story straight on who's returning punts and wants to take credit on ONE TD call in a losing effort against the Eagles. I'm just tired of it all.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | November 5, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

sorry, peri, I thought you didn't give a rats a about the shooting in TX.

My bad.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 5, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

2 shooters ... 1 captured. F. Etrod. ;) Lots of unhealthy folks coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan. The feds and Bush were warned to expect this.

Posted by: periculum | November 5, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

these shooters need to turn the gun on themselves first....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 5, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Bad timing P?
I thought you were doing A Modest Proposal on us...whew!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | November 5, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Bad timing P?

Yeah, bad timing. And only the precursor ... unfortunately, to a new group of homeless veterans completely shattered and unable to cope with society. Guess the Vietnam vets weren't enough for them.

You'll be seeing them beantown ... they'll be there staring at you when you are walking down the street, or getting on to the Metro, or the EL's, etc.

Yeah, it really does suck.

Posted by: periculum | November 5, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | November 5, 2009 4:42 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Periculum, so Portis doesn't care because he hasn't threatened to quit or become a heavy drug user? Is that really your argument.

PORTIS doesn't care, about anything but PORTIS. His paycheck and his records. That's my argument. That is reflected in wins and losses.

I respect that Portis plays hard on game day and often plays injured. If that's not enough to earn your respect..oh well.

He's been better this year. But I still don't see it. I see a guy who disdains practices and training camp and screws up when the time comes to put out for his team.

Maybe if you stopped watching reruns and old Riggo game film your arguments would make sense.

Show me Portis MVP awards? His Superbowl MVP awards? His playoff victories? Hell, his division titles? He is LACKING in the most important areas.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 5, 2009

Posted by: periculum | November 5, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

now reporting 12 dead.....wow...no words...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 5, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Breaking News!

Snyder comes forth in a televised press conference and reveals he is in fact..Batman!!

Posted by: ga8085 | November 5, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Now they are reporting up to 11 killed.
This is bad.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 5, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Blache makes it sound like he is Barney the purple dinosaur?

Posted by: periculum | November 5, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Nice of Blache to break his media silence and share his warm fuzzies about Snyder with us.

He doesn't have the time to talk to the fans about the defense, but he's got time to come forward and share about generous Papa Snyder...

Posted by: p1funk | November 5, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

It's just a statement of fact that Bush sent these troops into Iraq. You can argue opinion about whether or not that was the right thing to do, but the facts are the facts.

Posted by: jgarrisn | November 5, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jgarrisn | November 5, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

It's also a statement of fact that we've got no idea who or what was behind the shooting.

So before we blame this on cracked-up vets and predictably point the finger at Bush, why don't we actually wait for the facts?

Posted by: p1funk | November 5, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Back to the topic at hand, does any rational person believe that Zorn was going to actually AGREE with Riggins?

Posted by: richie_sheppard | November 5, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I find it very strange that as many as three shooters may have been involved. Assuming, and this is a big assumption given the rather early nature of these reports, that there are really multiple shooters not just one shooter mistaken in early witness statements as multiples, this doesn't make sense to me. If this is "simple" case of fragging, why are there multiple gunmen? Typically, a soldier intent on committing fratricide is going to act alone, either out of psychosis or paranoia that they'd be stopped ahead of their goal. But multiple shooters implies timing and coordination, something not generally seen in fratricide.

Given the similarity to attacks made on British soldiers in Afghanistan by Taliban militants last week and the rather ominus statements reported by the AP ("The shooters were wearing military uniforms, but it was unclear whether they were soldiers, said U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas."), I have an uncomfortable feeling that this might have been outside terrorism.

I hate that this happened, but I really hope it wasn't terrorism.

Posted by: AppleScience | November 5, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

What about the troops Obama is currently sending into Afghanistan? Doesn't fit into your neat little theory does it? The facts are that we don't really know who or why this shooting happened and to prematurely blame this whole thing on Bush is absolutley ludicrous and just another attempt to push blame to someone that isn't even making policy anymore.

Having said that it is a tragedy no matter who is to blame and my heartfelt condolensces go out to all families and individuals that are involved.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Take the unrelated to football comments elsewhere - there is no reason for any of this other chatter to be here. Its bad enough when some of you are cross posting from other threads here without concern of being able to be understood.

The Redskins could adjust their roster from now until the cows come home and it won't make a difference this year. Overpaid, unmotivated, lazy, and players without heart have infected this team and are allowed to run all over the coaches. This team needs a coach with backbone but we won't get it because that kind of coach wouldn't tolerate ownership's ineptness in management skills.

Posted by: laserwizard | November 5, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I know a way Dan can help - I can think of something he's not doing that would help the team actually...

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | November 5, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I'll bite Brooklyn, what can he do?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

"What a stupid phuk you really are. Bush huh? In case you missed it he's not in office now. Just like a phukin Obama dooshbag lackey to blame something that happens today on someone who isn't in office anymore. Same guy that says he predicted the record when he changed his story 4 times now. Loser."

at this point in time, don't you think it's probably a little lame to start blaming your favorite political dartboard, whether it is former President Bush, or President Obama?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 5, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

John, that was the point of the latter post.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

If you're on Facebook you should consider becoming a fan of this page:

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

"It's gotten to that point where I've got to make a decision," Zorn said.

ZORN"S COMMENTS FRIDAY

"Yes, some people have reported I said Hunter wasn't the punter yesterday and that Paulescue would make the first punt. Hunter is still our Punter but we plan to work Paulescu into our punting plans. This doesn't mean he's our punter or not our punter. That could be Randle El. Or not. Or Hunter the Punter. I don't know. But the punting is just something we'll have to work harder on. I'll be calling the punts, except when Sherm Smith does. Or Hunter."

Posted by: TheCork | November 5, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Hi, I'm Larry Michael from the Redskins Network. We are still in this I am very confident we will win this sunday and make a playoff run. I've got a good feeling that we are going to turn it around. Vinnie Cerrato is one of the top executives in the NFL. All the Haters need to stop complaining. We are going in the right direction. It is a pleasure to work for Daniel Snyder who, in my opinion is the greatest owner in the NFL. I'm confident we will one day be playing in Daniel Snyder Memorial Stadium. Cooley Cooley He's Our Man. I also resent all the people who say I am a frog faced baboon that looks through rose colored glasses. God bless and Shalom.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 5, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Good one, Cork.

Anyway, I never understood why they used Hunter against Philly. I would have given the muscle another week to heal - now we have this.

Lot of dumb decisions being made this year.

Posted by: charley42 | November 5, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

Yes, of course. This is why no one should blame Hitler for anything either because he's no longer in office.

Congrats JohnDinHouston, you get an F- - - in Logic.

Nice try putting them both Obama and Bush in the same boat. Only pre-progandized idjits like your fellow Texans will buy that garbage.

Bush put this country into ruination during his eight long years. Now his minions are doing their best to erase his egregious idiocy from people's minds while they undercut every effort the new President makes to repair the damage.

Suggestion. Let the man work the problem. The GOP started in with their lies and talking points before he was in office. Brilliant stratgery, borrowed from a VN soldier: "We had to destroy the country to save it from Obama." Idiots.

Fair play? Doesn't exist to those folks.

Posted by: TheCork | November 5, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

fact: george bush ruined this country.
fact: obama is not the best president ever.
fact: the redskins are terrible.

:..(

Posted by: BMACattack | November 5, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Change it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fall that's all
But the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they all flown in the last war
...
Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Posted by: daggar | November 5, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

__________________________

Isn't the punter's status kind of ALWAYS "up in the air"?

Posted by: Xlnt | November 5, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Scamp,

Kind of stating the obvious here, but what he could do is take himself out of the picture and hire someone with a proven track record and actual football knowledge. THAT would be generous, because it's obviously hard for him to do.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | November 5, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Falcons built proper way
By: JOHN KEIM
Examiner Staff Writer
11/05/09 12:07 PM EST

Falcons coach Mike Smith, a rookie coach like Jim Zorn last year, talked about why he's had a lot of early success in Atlanta. It differs from Zorn's experience in Washington.
Smith said of why he had early success: "I think there are a lot more unsuccessful coaching staffs than there are unsuccessful head coaches. It's very important to put a staff around you that has the same philosophy that you do and believes in the same things you do schematicaly. And I've been very fortunate to assemble a staff. We have over 212 years of NFL experience, guys that have been coordinators and guys that have been head coaches and they've been valuable resources for me. That's been the thing that's helped me to have those guys around and have the same ideas philosophically that I have.
"And it helps to get an outstanding quarterback in the first round and I thought we did a very good job with our draft last year. When we opened the season we had five rookie starters in 2008 and we've continued to start younger players in year two with the guys we drafted this year."

Posted by: TWISI | November 5, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

cont..

On the ability to build his roster the way he wanted: It's very important. Thomas Dmitroff and myself sat down and philosophically had the same ideas in how to build a roster, not only in the skill sets but the type of players we wanted to have on our team. I think it's very important that you have an agreement in how you want to build your roster. We're trying to build a roster for sustainability. There's a lot of players that have ability... The big difference is the good teams are the teams that sustain it from year to year and that's the thing we're trying to build here."
Note: The Redskins entered the season with a coaching staff that had a combined 174 years of experience in the NFL, excluding Zorn's 24. Add Sherman Lewis' 22 to the total and they're in line with Atlanta. But the starting roster in 2008 looked a lot like the starting roster in 2007. In fact, there were only five projected starters entering this season who would have been different from the projected starting lineup in 2008 (entering training camp).

Posted by: TWISI | November 5, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

If Hunter the punter is still having issues with his groin, why dont they just IR the guy, I mean really 2 punters on a 53 man roster? Again?

Posted by: tdskinz | November 5, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 5, 2009

Posted by: periculum | November 5, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Last time I followed this sport, there were 11 players on the field at a time! 11 when the O had the ball, 11 different ones when on D. And a different mix of 11 more for special teams.

How does one player's career get graded and judged on division titles, playoff victories, Super Bowl MVP's?

Posted by: frediefritz | November 5, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tdskinz | November 5, 2009 7:14 PM |

I agree with you. Also,with every new punter, Suisham has to get his rhythm done with a new holder. If Hunter is hurting settle on a healthy punter at let's roll.

Posted by: TWISI | November 5, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

periculum, you must know Portis really well, I suppose you know him personally, watched his game films etc. You are such an expert.

Judging by wins and losses Sonny J is terrible, judging by Super Bowl wins D Marino is terrible.

You don't like Portis we get it, but he's good and you can't change that

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 5, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Congrats JohnDinHouston, you get an F- - - in Logic.

Fair play? Doesn't exist to those folks.

Posted by: TheCork | November 5, 2009 6:31 PM |

First of all Corky you got it wrong. The first part of that was from me. You really should pay attention to what is going on if you're going to make an assinine comment about it. I was refering to perineum's thought that it was Bush's fault these people shot up a bunch of folks in Texas. The point that John D. and myself were attemting to make is that it is early and presumptuous to blame it on Bush or Obama.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Scamp,

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | November 5, 2009 7:01 PM |

That's what I figured you meant.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Since all we get is FG's chances we better make sure Suisham has all the tools he needs

Posted by: tdskinz | November 5, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

give me d frost and 2 o line

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 5, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

TRANSLATION:

"Well, he was a complete a**hole to me. But other people say he's nice to them. Whatever.

When exactly do I get to walk away from this *hitstorm again? Talk to me then, ok d*ckwad?"

Posted by: hithere1 | November 5, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Where, O where art thou, Jason "Furry" Fabini? Todd "I ain't no tackle" Wade? Oh, for the mediocrity of 2005 and 2007! How I pine for thee!

Posted by: hithere1 | November 5, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

From Blache item: "If they send me home, the way coaches' contracts are written, they have to pay me anyway."
_________________________________

Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know when a Lt. Dan will pay a Jim Gump anyway....

Posted by: Xlnt | November 5, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

You don't like Portis we get it, but he's good and you can't change that

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 5, 2009 7:25 PM
Surprised by the undying love for CP.

All Facts:
1. Portis use to be good
2. Portis has lost 2-3 steps, no burst
3. Portis has lost his vision due to never practicing; he constantly runs into the backs of his blockers
4. hasn't made anyone miss all year, zero wiggle
5. is no longer a top 15 back in this league
6. sets the tone by never practicing and his disdain for preseason
7. is overpaid and the constant restructuring of his contract is killing us
8. should be cut at year end, hopefully uncapped 2010
9. Best blocking back in league in pass protection
10. he was RIGHT in his criticism of Sellers, he is overrated and is a terrible lead blocker
11. is a leader, never has been and never will be

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 5, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

From the NYT: "Mickey Mouse will appear in the video game Epic Mickey. The game, to be released next fall, will show the character's darker side." Jesus. First Snyder with a "dark heart" and now Mickey. Is the world turning into a bunch of Darth Vaders?

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | November 5, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

This just in to our newsroom. The Associated Press is reporting that ancestry.com has determined that Daniel Snyder is a direct descendant of Napoleon Bonaparte and Hervé Villechaize (Tattoo) from Fantasy Island. The theory that Daniel Snyder is on Fantasy Island is being researched by all major news networks.

Posted by: getitritegov | November 5, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Hearts of Darkness the only people that will be offensive to are vertically challenged media marketing executives.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 5, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | November 5, 2009

What "great" potential HOF player doesn't? Its rare to find those that get in as perennial losers. Although it has happened.
But this is the case of numbnuts on this blog calling Portis "great", "future HOF", etc. He is the highest paid running back in the history of the sport. He has a big mouth. So, yes, given that I think some MVP awards at the very least are in order. However, I would admittedly be more happy with playoff victories and superbowls. But that's just me.

Posted by: periculum | November 5, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

hold out hope that the Danny is going to be so shamed by this season and the media coverage--and, by the way, this IS the worst Redskins team I've seen in my nearly 40 years as a fan--that he makes some changes (see below), the most important of which is No. 1:
* Fire Cerrato and hire a proven GM.
* Use your coming high draft picks to pick O Linemen, maybe a running back.
* Get whatever you can--hopefully more offensive linemen--for Campbell, Randle El, Portis, Betts, maybe Sellers, maybe one or two of the young receivers.
* Bring in a free agent QB and RB (there's no cap next year, right?).
* Be willing to trade a defensive lineman for more O Line help.
Let the GM hire a whole new coaching staff.
In case I haven't been clear: We need a WHOLE NEW offensive line.
Do you think Danny reads this blog?? hahahahaha.

Posted by: jdsp2000 | November 5, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Neither guy was ever an MVP. But, Sonny did help get the Redskins to one Superbowl and the playoffs in alternate years. If Sonny had been allowed to play in that Superbowl by the then coach (who had many of the negative attributes of the current owner) One could almost guarantee you that B. Griese and company would have had their fins clipped and sent home in ignominy.

Will Portis ever get that close. NO!

Posted by: periculum | November 5, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Do you think Danny reads this blog?? hahahahaha.

Posted by: jdsp2000 | November 5, 2009

Pretty sure that denizens from Skins Park do!!! And so Snyder must know that what was predicted here for this team did indeed come true ... he really must hate that ... :)

Posted by: periculum | November 5, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm getting annoyed with the rally around Snyder screw the fans and their anger from the Skins. If they bothered to pay attention maybe they'd know most fans aren't angry at Snyder on a personal level. I'm sure he is a great guy etc. but that has zilch to do with what he has done to this team.
As for the players - you know what we've stuck by you for years and yes there are some d-bags in the stands always have been always will be but tell me something what do you expect us to do when you keep putting on mediocre performances week after week? You want me to keep cheering you?
Also take note it's mostly offensive guys coming out and pointing fingers at fans and getting mad.

GRRRRRRRRR

Posted by: sfskin | November 5, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 7:45 PM

Probably still to early to blame it on Snyder and Cerrato so I'll hold off a while longer.

Posted by: League-Source | November 5, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

i propose this in all seriousness:
some day, our (once) beloved 'skins will have to change their name.

our new name should be intimidating (lions, tigers, bears) and emblematic of our fine city (patriots, packers, cowboys). these days it must be politically correct, and humor is always good...so...i propose we name it in honor of the most powerful force in the most powerful city in the world: the BUREAUCRACY. not the milquetoast diplomats, senators, nationals or capitals. i mean, who’s afraid of a diplomat? and it rolls off the tongue: the "washington bureaucracy"....

also, NOT "the bureaucrats"– individual bureaucrats come and go, but the bureaucracy endures. it is unassailable, ominous, but nebulous – impossible to pin down. eventually, the bureaucracy will crush you. people "outside the beltway already hate the washington bureaucracy. you can’t fight city hall.

team uniforms would obviously be blue, gray and black with pinstripes and maybe a splash of color where the breast pocket hanky would be. a whole array of associated imagery presents itself. the logo is a man in a suit and fedora carrying a briefcase checking his watch while crossing the street and talking on his cell phone. cheerleaders wear (sexy) power suits with sneakers and their hair in buns. coaches are referred as chairmen of the various boards: we’d have the "department of defense", the "department of offense" and "special forces". huddles are conferences, plays are policies. touchdowns are celebrated with baskets of shredded paper and red tape streaming from the stands.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | November 5, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | November 5, 2009 9:37 PM |

It's never to early for that.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

LOL Walter!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Tony Korneheiser said it best years ago, "lets stick a potato on the side of the helmet and call it a day". Seriously the name is derogatory to Native Americans. How would people react if we were the Washington Blackies, Washington Darkies, Washington Beaners, Washington Yellowskins, etc. I'm not trying to be funny but its offensive. The NCAA has complied and forced schools to make the change. Its only fair that the team follow and make a statement once and for all. Hate is hate. People gave their lives fighting for these freedoms.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 5, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Yes, a name change is in order given our fearless owner and his leadership!
The Rockville Snidely Owls

Posted by: periculum | November 5, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Why not call it the DC Rapists?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

...or the Gov'town Fleece Machine.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Hogs.

Posted by: brianearman | November 5, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts of the day

Definition of an idiot - a person who thinks there is a difference between a Democrat or Republican politician.

I would be proud to root for the Washington Whiteys or Honkys. Of course, we also might be able to pick up some sponsorship from the Aryan Brotherhood or some other supremacist group. Lords knows Danny could some more $$

Posted by: noonefromtampa | November 5, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts of the day

You proved that you are, indeed, the idiot. There are huge differences between the two groups. The similarities are very few, they all lie and they're all crooks. That's about it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Time to activate Marko Mitchell in place of Cooley on GameDay.

Posted by: Vicc | November 5, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Walter.... I need a toe.

Posted by: daggar | November 5, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts of the day

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 10:42 PM
==========================================
Hello pot meet kettle...

The all push an agenda that benefits their friends and constituency

They want to change the way governments works to "benefit" you

They can't really change anything that upsets the balance of power and control in this country

The "differences" are all an allusion to suck morons like you into caring and choosing sides, distracting you from what is really going on.

Politicians lost control of this country in about 1966/67 and since then business has ruled them all.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | November 5, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 6, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 6, 2009 1:17 AM | Report abuse

So where's Danny's big heart evident in

1) Cutting Brian Mitchell

2) Disrespecting Antonio Pierce

3) Disrespecting Ryan Clark

4) Disrespecting Freedom of Speech

5) Disrespecting Greg Williams

6) Suing Season Ticket Holders (or does this go under the "All He Cares About Is Winning" category?)

7) Disrespecting Brad Johnson

8) Ripping off Lavar Arrington

9) Disrespecting Norv Turner

10) Disrespecting Marty Schottenheimer

Seems his main fault is that he doesn't respect anybody else. Toss in a couple of money grabs and you've got yourself a successful capitalist.

what's the problem?

guys like Snyder are as American as Apple Pie.

God Bless the U.S.A. (and no place else)

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 6, 2009 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Walter.... I need a toe.

Posted by: daggar | November 5, 2009 10:58 PM
-------------------

Actually I need my freeking johnson, man!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 6, 2009 1:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 5, 2009 5:13 PM

Can't blame PTSD. The guy -- Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan -- had never been deployed to a war zone.

Until today, that is, when he turned Ft. Hood into a war zone by taking up arms against the US.

So why did he do it? Why did a guy named Nidal Malik Hasan who, despite being born in Arlington, identifies his nationality as Palestinian? Why did he start shouting in Arabic when he opened fire? Why did he author an Internet posting comparing suicide bombers to a soldier falling on a grenade to save his fellow soldiers, writing that by doing so, suicide bombers are really acting "to help save Muslims by killing enemy soldiers"? Uh, I've got a pretty good guess.

Because he's a Muslim.

Not PC to say that? Well what do you do when political correctness runs up against the facts? That's why he did it.

(* - Stupid caveat I shouldn't even have to write: I didn't say every Muslim is like this. Clearly not. But this guy IS like this -- and I say "is" because he's still alive. For now. He committed treason during wartime, and there's one prescribed punishment for that.)

Posted by: freakzilla | November 6, 2009 2:07 AM | Report abuse

freak, he did it not because he is muslim but because he is a very disturb man. there is a HUGE difference.

if i had to venture an educated/pop psychologist guess i'd say he is homosexual. in that culture no one stays unmarried, without a girlfriend unless you're in the closet or really really f'ed individual or both. my bet is he's both.

i still can't get over the fact that the FBI knew about the posting and didn't do anything about it. how many red flags do you f'ing need?!!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 6, 2009 2:33 AM | Report abuse

and to be arguing over who's fault as in reds vs. blues is really idiotic. this was one deranged person. i'm sorry but this dude was F'ed up from top to bottom inside and out. there's only one person to fault and it's this guy. and also the fbi who let this happen. hopefully the internet posting was days old and not weeks/months because someone should get fired for this, everyone working on his case should get fired.

i apologize, i've been under the rock somewhat (a casino), all day and didn't know this tragedy had happened and just read wapo's story on it...so haven't watched any news coverage of it...so just raw emotions up here. i'm only going by what wapo's reporting...

Posted by: dealer1 | November 6, 2009 2:41 AM | Report abuse

also was trying to avoid tv cuz of the skanks win last night...

Posted by: dealer1 | November 6, 2009 2:45 AM | Report abuse

now this we gotta talk about:

!!!!!!WTF!!!!!!!! comments are funny but i can't belee this woman...this is such a friggin stunt!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 6, 2009 3:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | November 6, 2009 2:33 AM

Second that, dealer. If he did this "because he's a muslim" then all muslims would behave the same way, and they don't.

Crazies come from all religious persuasions, all political affiliations, all genders, all occupations, all ages. Think over the mass murderers and the thing they have in common, that motivates their vile behavior, is that they're crazy.

Posted by: League-Source | November 6, 2009 6:19 AM | Report abuse

Zorn and Blatche are still on the payroll, so they have to go along with the pro-Snyder view. I get that. But, anyone who has followed the Redskins, sees what the organization does to its own, its former players, its former coaches, GMs, and its own fans - knows that Snyder really isn't in it to win but to make money. That's his top priority. Unless he really does extricate himself from the football side of the organization, we're doomed to 2 or 3 win seasons.

Posted by: agupta1 | November 6, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

daggar, you said,
"Walter.... I need a toe."

sorry, i don't get it?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | November 6, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Walter, you are obviously not a golfer...

Posted by: bakervalleyPTA | November 6, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

bakervalleyPTA,
well, actually i love golf... now i'm really confused. i still don't get the link between my "bureaucracy" team name idea and "i need a toe". help!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | November 6, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Riggo is an angry old jealous FORMER player who had amazin gtalent behind one of the best offensive lines in the NFL...I wonder what he would be saying if he had played under the offensive lines Portis has had the last couple years

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | November 6, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse