Rule Changes And Points Of Emphasis

A group of NFL officials made the annual presentation on rules changes to the media schlubs. I'll tell you what, we rag on these guys all the time, but they know their stuff. It's always kind of fun to spend like 15 minutes thinking of the most esoteric question possible about some crazy, parallel universe football scenario involving illegal contact, two footballs being on the field at the same time, and a field-goal kicking mule, and, dag-gonnit, these dudes will have the answer and all possible penalty variations rattled off in like 5 seconds.

Impressive stuff.

Anyway, here's what you need to do, at least what I could understand of it ('cause this stuff gets pretty complex and unless you have the accompanying video in front of you it's kind of not worth getting into all of it). The finer points:

1) New Replay Booths: And they look like outhouses to boot! Seriously. "You guys are going to have a field day with that," one of the officials commented. They've got High Def this year and a 26-inch LCD screens with 9 area they can touch to pull up different replay angles. Also, they've got 60 seconds to get the thing figured out from time they step in the outhouse, in mean booth.

2) Brandon Lloyd has got some changes to make: There are going to be 5 yard penalties called whenever a player spikes or throws a ball forward after making a catch, or a run, or a first down, whatever. The instant the officials began explaining this rule change, I thought of our guy No. 85. He does that thing where he spins the ball forward after pretty much every reception. And sure enough, what do you know, the video begins where they show clips of all the infractions to go along with the explanation of the rule changes, and, bingo, second clip is Lloyd doing his thing.

So now, if you do that, even if it's like a catch on first down, with a seven-yard gain, and the receiver spikes the ball or flips it in a way that the officials have to chase it, then guess what, next down its second-and-eight folks.

3) Expect More Fumbles. The league has changed to the rule book to better reflect the reality that we see from video replays on TV. The officials anticipate a lot more instances this season where a ruling will be made that a receiver had a "catch and fumble" where in the past the on-field officials would have had to rule it an incomplete pass. That's good news for The Reaper, eh?

4) Strapping Young Men: In the NFL's quest to combat concussions, players are now going to be forced to have their chin straps fully buckled at all times. If they can't get it done in time, they will be sent off the field. About 8 years or so ago the NHL went through similar measures, when it began investigating the rash of concussions in its sport, so I figured it was only a matter of time before it caught on in the NFL. Same theory.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 2, 2007; 2:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Check This Crazy Stuff Out
Next: It's Getting Hot Out Here, So ...

Comments

panties!

Posted by: dcsween | August 2, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

commando erin andrews!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 2, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

THIS DAY IN RI HISTORY

August 2, 2006 - Jasno pays homage to my own beloved Def Leppard by not only namechecking Joe Elliott in his post, but also by titling the thread "C-C-C-COOLEY," in reference to Lep's 1983 smash hit "Foolin'." It's a shame his fondness for the band went out the window with Rick Allen's arm.

At any rate, well-coiffed mullets begin to come out of the woodwork as the 80's hair metal discussion gets off the ground, and Jasno's burgeoning affection for the "Redskins resident wildchild" rears its ugly head. Also, the inimitable Skins front office brings in 400 pound O-lineman Lincoln Kennedy for a weigh-in.

RETRACTION FROM YESTERDAY

Pink C.C. was not a NOTABLE FIRST POSTER as he (she?) did not comment until two days later, on August 3, 2006.

Posted by: MV Dame | August 2, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Sweet

Posted by: The Coach | August 2, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

What if they spike or spin the ball backwards?

Posted by: priceisright | August 2, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was Santana spinning the ball after receptions. Sad to say but I don't remember Lloyd catching many balls (and I'm rooting for him!).

Posted by: Lisa | August 2, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

The only balls Lloyd catches are against his chin. Santana's the one we have to worry about when it comes to this penalty.

Posted by: Nice move, Vinny | August 2, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"The instant the officials began explaining this rule change, I thought of our guy No. 85. He does that thing where he spins the ball forward after pretty much every reception."

Sure that wasn't No. 89?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 2, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Moss does it more than Lloyd.... and did Lloyd really catch enough balls to create such a precedent?

Posted by: Cliff Huxtable | August 2, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I assume BLloyd can still do his thing after every TD he scores, right? 'Cause I just know he's going to double his TD total from last year.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 2, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Clearly B.Lloyd has gotten into JLC's head...

Posted by: Cliff Huxtable | August 2, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Erin Andrew's and Kelli Johnson pantie-less slumber party. Oh yeah now I'm pumped.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 2, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

The reason for my second "panties" to start a thread is a personal campaign against posts that say "1st!!!!". I think of "panties" as "firstus interruptus."

Posted by: dcsween | August 2, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

'It's a shame his fondness for the band went out the window with Rick Allen's arm.' -- MV DAME

I spit out the water I was drinking reading this comment. Well done.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | August 2, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, GSG!

Posted by: MV Dame | August 2, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Shortest thread ? (new post)

Posted by: Stumped | August 2, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Jasno,

I remember last week when camp began and you asked us all what questions we'd like answered. It mostly involved questions about who's playing well, who's playing badly, how they're playing together. I wish you'd take the list out and see if you can answer any of the questions we asked.

I feel like we've gotten mainly injury reports, all of which are available on the Redskins website. I don't think they are the type of stuff you do best as a Redskins Insider. They're more outsider stuff.

I realize you're shorthanded out there with Howard's sudden departure, but it would be nice to come here and read some inside stuff. What have the coaches learned so far? What are the good news stories from camp? Who's playing better than expected? Is the timing between the QB and the receivers coming along? What will they try to do against the Ravens?

Posted by: KK | August 2, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

MV Dame- Meant to tell you yesterday, me likeys the 'This Day in RI History'

Posted by: 4-12 | August 2, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

This 5-yard penalty crap is bogus... No Fun League for sure.

Oh, and I guarantee you that Gibbs will hammer this home EVERY SINGLE DAY, but we'll still average 1-2 of those a game, and one of those might actually cost us a game.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 2, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Jason, to second what KK says ... can you find out what Randy Thomas meant when he described Chris Samuels as "juicy"?

Posted by: dcsween | August 2, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh, it's on, 4-12. It's on...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 2, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Santana does it too, but the rule doesn't count if you get in the end zone (like a real TD) and/or flip the ball out of bounds, like if you just made a 60-yard catch down the sidelines.

No penalty there.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | August 2, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

More fumbles = good news for 21/36, bad news for 31.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | August 2, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Expect more fumbles!

Posted by: #46 | August 2, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

MV- Waiting to see when I made my first appearance with my glowing prediction for the '06 season.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 2, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Guys, I'm holding off on the whole who's hot/who's not thing until at least after the scrimmage.

To make anything out of a lot of what goes on out here - third string DB vs. third string WR in a drill - is folly, folks.

We still have like 5 weeks of this left my friends, so there will be plenty of time to dissect the roster and all of that down the road.

And, yeah, my time is super short right now. I have one more child and one fewer beat partner than a year ago, so it's tough.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | August 2, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

B. Lloyd catching a ball on video for the Redskins? I don't believe it. Can you send us a link?

Posted by: RANDO | August 2, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 2, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"After a gain on the ground, Portis drops the ball over his shoulder (i.e., forward) just to release the ball from his hands. Would that be a penalty?"

That, my friend, would be a fumble.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 2, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

1st!!!

Posted by: BT | August 2, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Damn 56K internet connection!!!

Posted by: BT | August 2, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

KK, injury updates are probably all there is to talk about.

Camp has been open less than a week, and you want some nuggets about who is ascending up the depth chart.....

There hasn't even been a scrimmage yet, Christ, give JLa a friggin break.

More importantly Jason, when is the Reaper going to reschedule the presser?

Posted by: k Squared | August 2, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

hang on. KK and kSquared are 2 different people? SJK

Posted by: Anonymous | August 2, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

yeah kk calm yourseld down

IF your the same kk i used to do back in high school i'll be right home to give you some bung love you used to like so much

Posted by: say it aint so ade jimoh | August 2, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Thank GOD for the chin-strap rule. My numero uno pet peeve, is stupid Donovan McNabb running all over the place with his two upper chin-straps loose and flapping in the breeze!

Redemption!

Posted by: RedskinsDB.com | August 2, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

So in the unlikely scenario B. Lloyd catches a 12 yard pass on 3rd and 8 and spins the ball afterwards... would it be 1st and 10 from 5 yards behind where he caught the pass or would it be 4th and 1?

Posted by: Chuckster | August 2, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse