Brian Westbrook still weighing his options

Even with all the running backs in camp - five, including three who have been to the Pro Bowl - the Redskins still haven't said publicly that they are giving up hope of landing former Philadelphia Pro Bowler Brian Westbrook.

Westbrook's brother, Washington cornerback Byron Westbrook, said Monday he has stopped asking about the situation, even as teams such as the Denver Broncos lose running backs to injuries early in training camp.

"He has to be comfortable in the whole situation," Byron Westbrook said after Monday's late afternoon practice. "Just because our personal opinions of being here with close friends [including former Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb] and close to home, he has to [make] a good decision for him. We do have three great running backs and two young guys right now that's playing their butts off, so he might not want to come to a situation where he does not know where he could fit in, if he could fit in."

Clinton Portis is the incumbent, with Larry Johnson and Willie Parker the veterans pushing him for time. Second-year back Ryan Torain has been impressive early in camp, and Keiland Williams, an undrafted free agent from LSU, is also on the roster.

Coach Mike Shanahan said during the offseason that the Redskins had extended Westbrook - who was cut by Philadelphia in March - an offer, but there has been no movement since. The 30-year-old gained 5,995 yards in eight years with the Eagles, but played only eight games last season because of concussions.

Asked what he thought Brian was thinking, Byron Westbrook said: "I have no idea."

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 3, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Running backs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth takes another day off to rest knee, no end in sight
Next: Despite drama, Albert Haynesworth could still start

Comments

By Barry Svrluga | August 3, 2010; 6:00 AM ET

What he's thinking is "Show me the money."

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Drop Parker, get Westbrook. It's as simple as that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 6:58 AM | Report abuse

on the surface it makes no sense to sign Westbrook, but then again, when you think about what he offers, the connection with McNabb, and that a stacked Skins @ RB would likely create some great trade bate for other teams allowing us to bring in another player (i.e., Wide Receiver, Corner Back, or other position players if we get a significant injury).

Posted by: pgustav | August 3, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Trade bait? Seriously? If there was a market for Parker and/or LJ, they would have gotten a job as a starter, not as a backup to CP. If we get anything more than an open bag of Skittles for either player, it's a win...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

I like Skittles more than Willie Parker.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 3, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 7:06 AM
------------------------------------------
Seriously. You've got teams out there that will have injuries in their running back corps. You have some teams that will have players that just won't work out. I think the Redskins could trade Fast Willie. They just have to wait. There are still a few Vinny-like GM's out there that will pull the trigger on a trade in a panic situation.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

RIP, Cult of Colt

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

RSH, of all the RBs we have, Parker has the least value, IMO. Dude has name recognition and that's about it. If anyone, I could see a team trading for LJ but I don't see the Skins sending him anywhere unless we get Westbrook. That's why I think a trade is highly unlikely (on a good day).

Not to mention, running back is the most fungible position on offense so they have far less value (unless they also have KR/PR ability like Leon Washington). So basically, someone would have to have an epic rash of injuries at RB (like Shanahan's Broncos in '08) to offer up anything worth our while.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

I think the Redskins could trade Fast Willie.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 7:17 AM |

Go back to bed. You didn't get enough sleep last night. Fast Willie isn't in the league anymore. He's been replaced by Slow Willie. No one will trade for Slow Willie as long as, say, Ladell Betts, is a free agent.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

From what I have seen at camp, Ryan Torrain is a lock for making the 53 man squad. CP and LJ seem entrenched so where that leaves Willie and Westbrook is anyone's guess.

Posted by: scoot21 | August 3, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Of all the reasons to sign a player the worst has to be "We'll be so deep that someone will trade us a player we need." With all the depth issues on this team we should sign players at the positions where we need to get deeper, and release players at positions where we're deep enough.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

I think the Redskins could trade Fast Willie.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 7:17 AM |

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 7:28 AM
------------------------------------------
Actually, I think I would describe Willie's malady as "burst-challenged". From what I have seen he still has the same top end speed but it just takes him a little longer to get there. He's getting better though, as camp wears on. I could see Arizona making a play for him. He has connections with the head coach and they still don't have their running back situation sorted. Maybe San Diego makes more sense because they have a dearth of seasoned running backs on their roster. Willie and Malcolm Kelly could be part of a package deal with San Diego to get VJ.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

I still think Torain has a shot and vaulting up to the #2 spot before season's end. Might be the "heir apparent" at RB if the guy can stay healthy...

scoot, even though LJ is having a good camp thus far, I'd have to think that Westbrook would be the logical #2 if he comes here. He's a good compliment to Portis instead of a carbon copy like LJ. As I said, I think the only RB with any real trade value is LJ and I can't see us parting with him unless we get Westbrook here.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Trouble is, it appears like he's looking for a perfect situation in an inperfect world.

One more knock to the noggin and he's done for good.

And nobody is going to pay him starting backfield veteran money for an old and tired, occasional third down blocker/outlet receiver.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 3, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 7:35 AM

Bwahahahaha!

That's rich, dude. I know you're not saying they're the principals in a trade but still...those guys have close to NO value.

But then again, I said the same thing about Juwan Howard years ago...

Seriously...the ONLY RB with trade value is LJ. And even that might be a stretch...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26 & beep-beep,
I definitely see him not on the Redskins roster on opening day, but I don't think he goes anywhere before that final cut unless they either a) have another guy they sign ala Westbrook or b) they find a trade partner. If a deal goes down for VJ in San Diego, the team will be clearing out its junk. Guys like Kelly, Parker, Rob Jackson, etc. will all be on the table.

BTW, anyone notice that we now have an open roster spot since they said Aloha to Brennan?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

One more knock to the noggin and he's done for good.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 3, 2010 7:41 AM

Don't worry...he'll get his price down once he sees nobody is willing to meet him at his. TO just did it and Westbrook will be next.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 7:34 AM
------------------------------------------
I don't look at it like that. I look at it like more competition makes everyone better. I don't think you can argue that it lit a fire under CP. The lowest guy on the totem pole gets cut when that happens just like Brennan yesterday.

Bringing Westbrook in would be a good thing. He gives them a dangerous receiving threat at running back, plus he gives them options to line him up wide in certain situations. I would argue that none of the other running backs on the roster have Westbrook's variety of abilities.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Bwahahahaha!

But then again, I said the same thing about Juwan Howard years ago...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 7:43 AM
------------------------------------------
Did you even know who Doug Dutch was until yesterday? I am not saying I would make a trade for those guys, but I could say some teams seeing value in them. Except for Rob Jackson... I just threw him in there. He's going to get cut and it won't be long...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

RSH, not to nitpick but it seems to me that CP has a fire under his ass because he had an awful '09 and because this year he's back in the system that got him over 3,000 yards and 29 TDs in his first two seasons. I'd imagine that would be more motivation for him than having a couple of has-beens with high mileage BEHIND him on the depth chart.

I'm less interested in competition at positions on the team than I am having the right guys in place to play on Sundays. Having LJ and Parker creates the perception of competition, but at the end of the day, I think from a playing standpoint we're better off with Westbrook than either one the other two.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 7:48 AM

Right. And that's why you need to bring people in at positions where you're shallow, not positions where you're deep.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

But as has been pointed out elsewhere Westbrook is damaged goods in that he is one knock away from being forced to retire.

That is why this whole sign Westbrook issue strikes me as a whole lot of wishful thinking.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

RSH, I did know who Doug Dutch was but I realize that most fans don't. But you also have to take into account we got a QB who is little more than training camp fodder in return. Not exactly a transaction that set the NFL on fire...

All I'm saying is that the guys you're talking about trading won't have the kind of value you think they will. Especially to a guy like A.J. Smith in SD who is more interested in getting draft picks than he is older veteran players. The Chargers did into free agency about as much as Pittsburgh does...which is to say hardly ever. I give it little chance that we can pry VJ away from the Chargers without them getting a quality pick or two in return.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 8:04 AM

Based on what? He's 30 and he got a concussion last year? So did CP...should we cut him since "he is one knock away from being forced to retire"? Perhaps the Steelers should get rid of Polamalu since he's had concussion problems DATING BACK TO COLLEGE!

Last I heard, he's cleared to play. That's all you can ask for. If he's past that and won't let the fear of another concussion effect his game, I don't see why we should assume he's anything less than he was last season (when healthy).

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

should have traded Colt/Dutch/WParker, for Brady, Moss, Welker, APeterson, MMcNeil, and a bunch of first rounders....just shoulda happened....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 7:59 AM

It's not just the system but also the coaches. I don't think Jim Zorn ever got the best out of a player and he certainly de-motivated Portis. Shanahan has brought the best out in a lot of athletes and he knows what makes Portis run.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2010 8:12 AM

Makes you wonder why they're paying a guy like Allen if he can't get it done. Bring back Cerrato.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood26:

You do know that Westbrook got two concussions last year within a three week period? He ain't just some guy "cleared to play."

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

IT IS NO MORE POLITICALLY CORRECT FOR WESTBROOK TO SAY HE IS DITCHING TRAINING CAMP THEN IT IS FOR FAVRE TO DO SO - EVEN IF FANS WOULD RATHER - BECAUSE THE MEDIA WOULD RIP THEM. ANYONE BELIEVE WESTBROOK IS GOING SOMEPLACE OTHER THAN WASHINGTON, OR DO YOU EXPECT HIM TO BE AN UPGRADE OVER PARKER?

Posted by: artsnsportz | August 3, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 8:16 AM

Good point...having worked for a few idiots myself, I know how much it can energize you to start working for a guy who you believe in. That's why Shanahan alone will win this team no less than 2 more games...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Polamalu's career should end with his next concussion as well -- he probably shouldn't play anymore as it is...

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm sort of tired of hearing about Brian Westbrook.

Has he signed with any team -- more importantly, has he signed with the Redskins yet?

Then I don't care.

It isn't like he's going to make or break the season. But you know who will make or break the season? The players that are in camp and are locks to make the team.

Those are the guys I want to hear about.

beanie, how many TCCLs did you do upon hearing that ya baoy, Chad Rinehart is back at full strength?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Pepper, I get that...but that was close to a year ago. If he's not cleared by now, he should be retiring before he scrambles his egg any worse.

I just don't get why he in particular can't rebound from a concussion and dozens of players have done it in recent years.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

From a NYT article last year:

A pamphlet the league gives all players states, “Current research with professional athletes has not shown that having more than one or two concussions leads to permanent problems if each injury is managed properly.” This claim has been widely disputed by outside experts — including Bailes, who co-authored several survey-based studies that found a heightened incidence of cognitive impairment, depression and dementia among retired N.F.L. players who recalled having many concussions.

Add it up -- 1.) Westbrook is 30. 2.) Westbrook is very injury prone 3.) Westbrook had two concussions last year in rapid succession = wishful thinking about Brian Westbrook

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

What he's thinking is "Show me the money."

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Too true.

I heard that there is some kind of standoff regarding the incentives package in the Skins offer. The Skins have built in a bunch of "rushing" incentives, but Westbrook would like those to be "receiving" incentives b/c he's going to be used primarily as a pass-catching 3rd down back.

Do you have any sources on that?

Posted by: p1funk | August 3, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Westrbook visit Denver?

Didn't Denver just lose their 2 starting RBs to injuries?

Posted by: p1funk | August 3, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

red, lets see what he can do, new scheme, hopefully he'll be getting some consistent time in the lineup to either show what he can do, or show that he's not got the goods.....because I don't know about you, but playing, then not playing, then playing, then getting hurt, didn't give us an idea of what kind of player he can be....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Pepper, the only reason Westbrook got the 2nd one was because he was rushed back into action. I'd imagine waiting for proper clearance would have made a difference there.

But we'll deal with fact here...we're not asking Westbrook to carry the load. Even in case of a Portis injury I'd imagine we'd roll with Torain as the primary back and still have Westbrook as the complimentary guy. He'd be here as a 3rd down back and a part-time option out of the slot. Using him as anything more than that would be criminally negligent.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

WESTBROOK DOESN'T WANT TO GO TO DENVER,BUT TO WASHINGTON. HE SHOULD GET RECEIVING INCENTIVES AND ALMOST NEVER RUN THE BALL. THROUGH PASS CATCHING HE CAN USUALLY DICTATE HOW HE TAKES HITS FROM THE D.

Posted by: artsnsportz | August 3, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

bean, I'm with you on Rinehart for the most part. Not as enthused as some about his potential but it wasn't liked he looked terrible when he did start.

I dunno, it seems like the starting RG position is definitely a question mark and I don't know enough about Artis Hicks to feel comfortable about him starting there.

Maybe Rinehart will impress and sew up the spot in camp. We'll see....

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

artsnsportz, do you have voice immodulation or something? What's with the all caps, hoss?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Rinehart will impress and sew up the spot in camp. We'll see....

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2010 8:49 AM

Or we'll trade Willie Parker and Rob Jackson for Logan Mankins. Either way...

Kidding RSH, just playin' dude.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I understand the 3rd down argument. Still I have to say that I don't think having Brian Westbrook on the team is in the best interests of the Washington Redskins.

It is time to move forward with a long term plan. That means having room on the roster for a younger RB.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Two more Cerrato boys depart Redskins Park. Looking better…Looking more and more like Shanaman’s team…I like the development but still a little more work to do though. Who’s got that target on their back?

Hmmmm…A roster spot open. Looking good.

Don’t forget Portis got his pumpkin bopped last year and he’s out there on the field. Running back by committee. And what a committee you’d have if we could sign Westbrook…Looks good on paper. What’s the potential for brothers playing on the same NFL team this year? Just the Redskins right?

Posted by: camp_fodder | August 3, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

That's what I was sayin' yestidday. How are the pulling guards going to be?

Any reports from camp?

...we sure do get a lot of "after it happened" junk. How's about some insight, WaPO?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 3, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Mankins and Vincent Jackson will be 'skins in 2010!

Shanahan has a connection with these guys. He was high on Vincent Jackson in the draft and he visited NE practices and in between coaching stints. He's familiar with one from watching him practice and thought of drafting the other. They will be here because Shanahan likes them. He likes them a lot.

You just watch and see. Watch and see...

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

My man John Feinstein said that waiting for Kelly and Thomas to finally produce on the field "was like waiting for Godot."

The same could be said about Chad Rinehart.

And lest I be accused of rampant negativity here, I am positive about DT this year and believe he will start and he will be fine.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

All caps when generally speaking = I have a point, it will stand out, and you will acknowledge it! If you don't then I'm gonna type in caps some more until you do. GOT IT? UNDERSTAND?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Status Alert:
The Denver Post speculates that the Broncos could revisit the possibility of signing Westbrook, following injuries Sunday to Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter. (Aug 2)

Think they need Westbrook more then we do, Brian that is, obv we need Byron more then anyone else.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 3, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 8:55 AM

100% agree...that's why Ryan Torain is here.

Agree to disagree on Westbrook. But it seems we're both interested in seeing this team get some more youth on the roster.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: camp_fodder | August 3, 2010 8:55 AM

I'm pretty sure the Bailey brothers (Champ and Boss) are both in Denver still...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | August 3, 2010 9:07 AM

Buckhalter's injury isn't serious from what I've heard, but I could see Denver making a panic move and caving to Westbrook's salary demands...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Who cares about Westbrook? We all know that CP's the starter and the Redskins are deep at the position. As some of posted above, they should move mountains to try to get VJackson out of San Diego. He's exactly what this team needs, a huge WR (6' 5") w/ good hands and speed.

Posted by: randysbailin | August 3, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Update:
Buckhalter was taken by ambulance to the hospital Sunday after experiencing numbness from his left hip down to his left foot, Josina Anderson of kdvr.com reports.

Recommendation:
The good news is that Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post reports that Buckhalter has already left the hospital. Earlier reports suggested that Buckhalter had injured his hamstring, while Jones indicated that the injury is to Buckhalter's upper back. Either way, this now looks like something that could sideline Buckhalter, at least for a while, which is bad timing, as Knowshon Moreno reportedly suffered a serious hamstring injury Sunday.

I dont know back injuries in Aug cant be a good thing, unless you heard somthin i didnt. On top of that it is only Buckholter not that great imo, Westbrook would be a big upgrade for them

Posted by: Stu27 | August 3, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 7:35 AM

This could actually work. If you package them with a 1st Rd pick and then they never make the trip to SD.

Next Tuesday when Madden 11 comes out you can get all the trading wood you'd like and try your scenarios right from your home.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 3, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 3, 2010 9:21 AM

I, for one, will do exactly that. VJ and Merriman to DC, AH and Carter to Carolina, Carolina's 2nd rounder to SD. Everyone wins.

I wouldn't mind that in real life either...but on Madden, I know VJ won't get anymore DUIs...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Mankins and Vincent Jackson will be 'skins in 2010!

You just watch and see. Watch and see...

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I really hope you're right.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Mankins and Vincent Jackson will be 'skins in 2010!

You just watch and see. Watch and see...

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I really hope you're right.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 9:38 AM

I would love that as much as the next Skins fan, but you gotta give them something of value. And with few draft picks and nobody on the roster worth their while, I don't see how a deal is made.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Things I'm excited about in 2010:
1. Offensive Line
2. Secondary
3. Clinton Portis
4. Donovan McNabb
5. Terrence Austin

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

anyone going to practice today? twisi and others have provided some nice updates the past few days...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 3, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

"Mankins and Vincent Jackson will be 'skins in 2010!"

Why not add Revis, Brady, and every other player that is unhappy with their current contracts or tenders. That would be awesome, we'd have 5 guys making the most at their respective positions and fill out the rest of the roster with a bunch of scrubs. We could be the Miami Heat of the NBA.

Madden comes out next Tuesday...Make it happen!

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 3, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait for Portis to silence the haters this year.

Also, Fred Davis is going to become a top 5 tight end, even with Cooley on this team.
The dude is awesome.

Kareem Moore might really turn out to be a good free safety.

LoAlex is a monster, doesn't matter what position he's playing.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Mankins and Vincent Jackson will be 'skins in 2010!

You just watch and see. Watch and see...

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I really hope you're right.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

If this did happen would people still predict an 8-8 season?

Posted by: Stu27 | August 3, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

ih8, Donovan is only 4th on your list? I'd have him much higher...

1. Shanahan's offense
2. Donovan McNabb
3. O-line
4. D-line proving they don't need AH
5. Landry having a career year

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Need a guard immediately, and a center next year, probably a RB and nose G type as well. Save all future draftpicks. Correction-- stockpile draft picks.

Not worried about WR at all. Usually it's the last piece of the puzzle and Skins are a ways off.

McNabb is 2-3 year guy, so the next great young QB gets drafted in 2011.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

The Skins will be 11-5, battling with NY for the NFC East.

Dallas implodes this year due to a lack of leadership. Jones breast feeding Bryant, throwing Phillips under the bus. Romo doesn't handle the SB hype.

iH8dallas throws a celebration party for their 8-8 season.

Philly won't even be a factor this year.

iH8dallas wins his fantasy league this year.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Pepper, if the O-line is for real, McNabb has 3-5 years. No need to blow a pick on a QB when you need to put pieces around the one you've got.

McNabb isn't an incumbent...we gave up two picks to get him. Doing anything but giving him every chance at bringing a Lombardi here is undermining the McNabb investment ENTIRELY...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

My time is now!

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | August 3, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

ih8, Donovan is only 4th on your list? I'd have him much higher...

1. Shanahan's offense
2. Donovan McNabb
3. O-line
4. D-line proving they don't need AH
5. Landry having a career year

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

The reason he is not higher is because he is consistent. There is almost 0 chance he has a bad year(barring serious injury).

The others on the list will be surprise bright spots.

6. Matt Mosely and Peter King shoot themselves.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Mankins and Vincent Jackson will be 'skins in 2010!

You just watch and see. Watch and see...

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Surely you are kidding. No way that happends. You must be bored at work with nothing to do

Posted by: BacktoGlory | August 3, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

As I understand it, Westbrook has offers from St Louis and Washington on the table. No others to this point. When those two Denver backs went down, the rumors started there, but nobody has put forth any money yet.

Neither the Rams nor the Skins are the ideal situation for a guy who says he wants to play a lot. He'd have a bunch of competition here and be firmly behind Steve Jackson in St Louis. There were only 14 RBs taken in the recent draft, which suggests that teams aren't feeling an intense need at that position. Clubs that needed a fast back, like Buffalo, Cleveland, KC, and Detroit, got one in that draft.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

"open bag of Skittles"

Posted by BW26

Can I have the Reece's pieces?

Posted by: ElYeah | August 3, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

In the pass happy NFL, running backs aren't the valued commodity they were 20 or even 10 years ago.

Redskins and Rams? With all due respect to my beloved Skins, Westbrook's only considering or being considered by 2 of the worst teams in the league last season.

Posted by: randysbailin | August 3, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

BW is just doing a Favre - missing some, if not all, of the pain of training camp.

Posted by: shanks1 | August 3, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, just lazy on the CAPS. Easier, but if the majority doesn't care for them.....

Posted by: artsnsportz | August 4, 2010 6:39 AM | Report abuse