RB James Davis is looking for his chance

Running back James Davis was eager for another opportunity after the Cleveland Browns released him earlier in the week.

On Wednesday, the Redskins signed Davis to the practice squad and released running back Jeremiah Johnson, whom they had signed Tuesday. "I'm just real happy to be in Washington," Davis said. "I'm just real excited to be here, man. I think it's a good system for me."

And there could be an opportunity for Davis to join the 53-man roster soon.

Washington had only running backs Ryan Torain and Keiland Williams available in Week 7 because Chad Simpson, who has been primarily a special teams contributor, injured his hamstring in practice last week and was sidelined for the 17-14 victory against Chicago at Soldier Field. The Redskins are preparing to face the Detroit Lions on Sunday at Ford Field, and they hope Simpson will be able to play this week.

But if Simpson's hamstring does not cooperate over the next few weeks and Davis quickly learns Coach Mike Shanahan's system, he could receive a promotion.

"I had a meeting with him [Shanahan] today and we talked about that, and it's always in the back of my head that you got a chance," Davis said. "He was telling me Torain, how he was on the practice squad and how he works his tail off and moves up. I mean, I look at guys like that, and I've definitely got an opportunity."

By Jason Reid  | October 27, 2010; 1:25 PM ET
Categories:  Running backs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Will McNabb's long-term deal get done?
Next: London Fletcher's streak would be tops if Brett Favre sits

Comments

Growing up, I always noticed that some NFL teams had some pretty amazing RB's that didn't register with me relative to the bigger names coming out of the college ranks. I was always left wondering "where do these dudes that I have never heard of come from?"

Now I know.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 27, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Haha...got it...now lets talk about how McNabb should be benched...and then about his extension.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 27, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

The extension will come in due time, I'm not pushing it. He'll DEFINATELY get a contract, we wouldn't have given up multiple draft choices for him otherwise.

I don't think he should be benched. He's only had 7 games in a new offense, he'll be better by the end of the year after getting more reps and knowing his receivers better.

Posted by: monk811 | October 27, 2010 1:32 PM

I agree...just thought it was pretty funny that we had a post suggesting he should be benched...followed by a post talking about his extension...haha

Posted by: PlayAction | October 27, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I think Davis was the guy who Mangini had practice without pads last year ... and he had a major injury becaue of it. Lot of people in Cle thought he was the best RB in town -- when they had Jamal Lewis and Jerome Harrison.

Good pickup.

And yeah, great call Rypien, on the EXACT personnnel moves on this one, right down to the timing.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 27, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Repost

Starting Grossman over McNabb? This is just a story for the sake of making a story.

There is no way the Shanahans would consider benching McNabb. I'll reiterate a comment I made yesterday: this is just as much DM05's fault as it is with the rest of the offense.

Two INTs came off of Hail Mary passes, so in reality, DM05 has five legitimate INTs. There have also been too many drops especially this past weekend (although to be fair the Redskins receiving corps has the fewest drops among all teams).

Anothony Armstrong, while he has been good, shows some inexperience and should have two, maybe three, more TDs than he has now.
AA13 definitely dropped what would have been a 50-yard TD reception against the Bears.
Against the Eagles, his 57-yard wide-open reception where he stumbled should have gone for 16 more yards for a 73-yard TD reception.
Against the Cowboys, AA13 might have a five-yard TD, but I'll admit that the pass was covered very well. While the ball was in AA13's hands, it was a 50-50 shot that simply went the other way.

Cooley had that HUGE fumble off of the screen pass, and that was a potential TD, but there were too many defenders IMO for that to happen. That seven-yard reception was negated by the illegal bat penalty.

By simply ignoring those two Hail Mary INTs, DM05's rating is somewhere around 79-80; however, just by removing the many mistakes the receivers made especially this past weekend, I could see DM05's be around 83-84.

The theme in the NFL through Week 7 of 2010 has been "statistics don't matter," and it should remain that way. I'm not in any way defending DM05's terrible performance against the Bears, but he and Shanahan have clearly motivated the team in a way that is winning games. Grossman never has and never will be a solution.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | October 27, 2010 1:36 PM

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | October 27, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 27, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, kinda weird. Next there'll be a post about James Davis NOT looking for his chance!

Posted by: monk811 | October 27, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I have some ideas, I think may happen...

After the bye, the monday night game vs. the Eagles will have

Torain starting at RB
CP26 and James Davis backups (Keiland Williams back to PS, and Simpson released)

And our WR corp will look like this: Tana, AA, Terrence Austin, Brandon Banks, and Williams. (Galloway released, Banks promoted, and Austin activated as 3rd string WR.)

Then just in case anyone is not taking Jason Reids comments lightly, D Mac will be the starting QB.

Posted by: roccoskins | October 27, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | October 27, 2010 1:41 PM

I don't beleive the chatter about McNabb is due to his QB rating or interceptions.

I think it's all about points scored, as it has been for the better part of the last decade.

This team had morphed in many ways over the years, but one thing appears unchanged: we have a defensive identity, and have trouble punching it in the endzone.

That's why there's been so many coaching and QB changes over the years... this team had had trouble scoring consistently for a long time.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 27, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The next poll question: Should Torain (cant pass protect or hold on to the ball) be replaced by James Davis who can very quickly learn Shanahan's offense.

Posted by: thewayitis | October 27, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

McNabb has been so-so this season, but is anyone really thinking Grossman? Of all the concerns with this team, Donovan is at the bottom of the list.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 27, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

portispockets

McNabb's overall play has him 6th in the league in passing yds.

Actually 7th.

And he's slotted between Manning and Ryan.

Thing is, they are young, one has a ring, and both a lot of upside.

If you're Shanallen, you see yourself competing in the NFC against Rodgers, Ryan, Manning, Brees, Freeman, Bradford, Kolb, Vick, Hill, and Stafford, and ask if you should jump in the youth bandwagon.

Or pay an older guy to put you where the Minnesota Vikings are: dependent a vet and all his warts.

Me?: I'm drafting Ponder, Mallett, Newton, Locker, Luck......and re-building around them.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe we are not bemoaning the play of the OL.

I have to hand it to Casey Reach-bach, Lichenscrotum, Artis Pricks and Doo-doo Brown for performing at an acceptable level.

I left out Silvercrack because he's our lone stud.

Will Cuuntgomery and Stephan YourFeyered are serviceable backups as well.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 27, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Personal_Fowl:
"I can't believe we are not bemoaning the play of the OL."

You're right. The problem is, too many people think it's all about the QB. McNabb won't say it publicly, but I think Jay Cutler will tell you a QBs performance has a lot to do with the OL.

I'm just glad we didn't give up two 1st rounders and a 3rd rounder for Cutler.

Fix the GD O-line!

Posted by: Alan4 | October 27, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher beeps

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 27, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Fix the GD O-line!

I'd say the line is much improved over the past two-three years.

And the receivers and quarterbacks are also an improvement.

To say otherwise countermands the 4-2 record.

But what I think what we all want to see is an efficient, 60 minutes, controlled offensive performance.

Our offense is such that it disappears for long stretches during games.

And thus, the end of the game nonsense where we're trying to not let some other average team sneak off with a W.

The close wins and almost-but-for-4-interception victories annoy.

And given that the basics of our offense have improved--the playcalling, the q-back play, the running game, the receivers--are better, so of us feel things should be much better.

Hopefully, they will be come December.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey moe,

Usually ur spot n and we agree on a lot of stuff

Let's give mcnabb sometime

I think a while back we both mention this yr was a wash

I say were 1/3 complete with the turnover

I expects another 5 new starters next yr. Offense and defense

Were doing decent enough to sucker punch people n get W's

That's a good starting place my man

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 27, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

hey! personal fowl u nust not be a terps fan if u don't know who james davis is.anybody who is a terps fan know davis and spiller the one two punch at clemson.he is a one cut runner with under rated football speed and can catch the ball well out of the back field i'm happy we picked him up he is good for this system and could be the next terrell davis.

Posted by: dakel76 | October 27, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse