RB Quinn Porter signed to the practice squad

The Redskins signed running back Quinn Porter to the practice squad Thursday to replace running back Javarris James, who was re-signed by the Indianapolis Colts.

James, the cousin of former Pro Bowler Edgerrin James, was with Washington for just a single day. Porter, an undrafted rookie from Stillman College in Tuscaloosa, Ala., was with Green Bay in the preseason.

At Stillman, Porter rushed for 2,788 yards with 24 touchdowns in 37 games. He also had 68 receptions for 887 yards and 12 touchdowns, and a 32-yard average on 19 kickoff returns.

Green Bay reached an injury settlement with Porter after he suffered a knee injury during the preseason. The Redskins are preparing to face Green Bay on Sunday, so perhaps Porter can provide some insight into the Packers.

"I balled out up there, but unfortunately I got hurt," Porter said. "I took a month off, rehabbed ... and passed my physical here this morning. I'm here. I'm a Redskin. I'm ready to go."

By Jason Reid  | October 7, 2010; 12:41 PM ET
Categories:  Running backs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hunter Smith returns as Redskins punter
Next: Lorenzo Alexander will start at LB and play on special teams

Comments

First to say DALLAS SUCKS

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 7, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Javarris James must have looked good to the Colts. This Quinn Porter sounds intriguing, but with all of the running back woes that Green Bay has, why would they have left him out there if he was any good? I think he's here just for his knowledge of the playbook and he'll probably be gone in a week or so.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse
___________________

That's ok... smart move. Although, there might be some upside, hard to say because he played at a small school.

Posted by: tony325 | October 7, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Reports are that Porter looked very good in Green Bay, but due to his injury, they could not afford to keep him. He was seriously pushing for a roster spot before his injury, however. Dubbed the "surprise of training camp" for the Packers.

Seems like an intriguing prospect.

Posted by: psps23 | October 7, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Follow the time-line, a preseason injury which happened way before Ryan Grant was injured. I know nothing about the guy, but "all the running back woes" had nothing to do with this guy's release.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 7, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I liked Hunter the Punter and am glad he's back.

I chortle over Polian getting snookered by Allen. Indy probably wanted to sign James to their practice squad and use the roster spot on a safety. I'm surprised they haven't signed Lewis: despite being a knucklehead, he is a solid player. Just not good enough to keep TAYLOR MAYS off the field.

I told you all TWO YEARS ago, and I'll say it again: Mays has everything it takes to be a great NFL player. In his rookie debut, 11 tackles and a TD on a blocked punt recovery, which was a thing of beauty. He's only going to get better.

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 7, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Found this on http://www.jerseyal.com/GBP/2010/07/21/packers-undrafted-free-agent-running-back-quinn-porter-looking-to-surprise/

Originally walked on at Stillman College (Tuscaloosa, Ala.) before eventually earning a scholarship and lettering all four years. After spending his redshirt season and first four games of his freshman year at WR, asked the coaches if he could move to RB due to injuries at that position… Made his collegiate debut at RB at Miles College (Sept. 24), and stayed there for the rest of his career. Rushed for 2,788 yards and 24 TDs on 511 carries (5.5 avg.) in 37 games… Added 68 receptions for 887 yards (13.0 avg.) and 12 TDs and posted a 32.0-yard average on 19 kickoff returns. Porter was also the starting punter soph & junior years (35 yd avg) and was 2 for 2 on passes thrown for over 50 yds each and 1 TD.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

The kid can return kicks, so could replace DT if they like what they see from him in practice.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Shoulda stuck w/ the 'Cane... but whateves.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 7, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

The name "Quinn Porter" is awfully close to "Clinton Portis", isn't it?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to Fabulous....

Welcome to Fabulous Lasss Vegaaasssssss!

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 7, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

First to say DALLAS SUCKS

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 7, 2010 12:51 PM

Not according to the POWER RANKINGS...they are better than us.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 7, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Shoulda stuck w/ the 'Cane... but whateves.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 7, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Dude, the Colts signed "The Cane" out from under us to their active roster. Not much we could have done except put him on our active originally. Not likely.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 7, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

You know monk...three NERDS don't make a right.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 7, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

You NERD Hater!!!
I don't hate, I just make fun of. Where's zcezcest1, our KING! Off with his head!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 7, 2010 12:27 PM

That's one NERD that doesn't mind being called a NERD...its good to be king...

Posted by: PlayAction | October 7, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Todd Collins, Bears starting QB this week!

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 7, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Why not - we knew CPo was out. If we need the guy, we need the guy. What? We can pay lardSJK Stompy 21 Mil, but can't pay a needed RB league minimum?

Williams it is, I guess. Would rather have JJ.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 7, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey Play, what's your prediction gonna be for tomorrow? Only a NERD would say 24-20.

Posted by: monk811 | October 7, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I read somewhere that Barnett has a hand injury that might keep him out of the game. At the very least, he will be playing with his hand in a cast.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2010 8:42 AM |

You have to get rid of someone from the actice roster before you can activate someone from the practice squad. It had nothing to do with money, plus Williams knows the offense JJ doesn't.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 7, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Rypien11, was there a couple of weeks ago and had a blast. Had not been there for several years so lots of fun changes.

Wife on the penny machine won $1000 on first spin.

Skins lost tho...

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 7, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"First to say DALLAS SUCKS

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 7, 2010 12:51 PM

Not according to the POWER RANKINGS...they are better than us.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 7, 2010 1:16 PM"

darn, and exactly what order does "Power Rankings" figure into the playoff position tiebreakers?

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 7, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

If Adrian Petersen, Randy Moss, Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, and TEs Shiancoe and Kliensasser played for the Skins, yeah, I'd say McNabb had a good shot at winning a Super Bowl..

Posted by: frak | October 7, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Packers 2 starting safeties and lb Barnett are out. If we can Jam the WRs at the line like we did Philly, and with their lack of running game making them 1 dimensional, we can beat Green Bay this week.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 7, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas........except for herpes, that sh!t'll come back with ya.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 7, 2010 1:26 PM

I'm still crunching some numbers, reviewing game film, talking to players, etc. I will post my much anticipated prediction by 10am Friday morning.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 7, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Andre Woodsen is getting a kick out of this reply.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 7, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 7, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Barnett out for the Season.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 7, 2010 1:31 PM

It's right after the coin toss tiebreaker.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 7, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

OK DS...

I did not realize you were advocating JJ to the active roster originally, I thought you were implying that we could have kept him on the PS if we wanted.

You certainly your right to an opinion on JJ. I'd rather have a guy with just as much upside (IMO Williams)who knows the offense and has been with us since camp opened vs. a guy off the street. Frankly I've had my fill of the U on our roster. Don't get me wrong, I love Tana/CP et al but I'm ready to move on, never got it done with the U crew.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 7, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Todd Collins, Bears starting QB this week!

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 7, 2010 1:21 PM
------------------------------------------
If that offensive line can't block any better than they did last year, they'll have the water boy starting at QB before the game ends. Giants totaled nine sacks in the first half??? Ouch! Mike Martz doesn't even known what max protect means...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"It had nothing to do with money,..."

This line is usually spoken by:

a. crooked, well-know gay preachers on the gag order used to enforce the financial settlement that keeps their lovers from talking to the media

b. athletes leaving one team for the next

c. actors explaining why they chose to perfrom in the summer blockbuster and not the Fall Oscar film

d. the smart college kid who choose medicine over education as a major

e. the arrested john to the undercover cop during the prostitution sting

f. 29 year old babes who marry 66 year old Wall Street bankers

g. high school girlfriends who breakup with their carless, cashless boyfriends

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Counting cards isn't illegal.. It's frowned upon like masturbating on an airplane.

Posted by: ash10 | October 7, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Dear Diary

I am so excited. Mummy just called downstairs to say (Old) Coach Shanny phoned... he wants me out at Redskins Park... and like now, already, this very afternoon -- if not sooner.

It seems they're auditioning halfbacks... and while I've never played the position myself, he was apparently so impressed with my efforts at playing nose tackle during the pre-season that he says he wants to bring in someone to be a "big, bruising halfback" who can protect Mr. Donovan's blind side and run block for Torain and Sellers.

Coach says they want to get back to playing Redskins football -- by restoring the power to its power running game -- and he thinks I just might be the guy to make it go.

He also says he's fed up to the back teeth with these prissy little, injury-prone prima donnas and is looking for someone who can "put the jock back in the jock strap" (whatever that means) and go out and play some smash-mouth football.

I can hardly wait to show my stuff. Will catch up with you later!

Your BFF