Redskins are still a possibility for Brian Westbrook

An already crowded Washington Redskins backfield may add another Pro Bowl ballcarrier in the very near future.

At former teammate Donovan McNabb's annual football clinic for children on Saturday, free agent running back Brian Westbrook admitted that joining the Redskins is definitely a possibility.

"I liked Coach Shanahan when I went in there and visited," Westbrook said. "I think it would be a great opportunity and fit for me. It would just have to make sense financially as well. So that's where we're at right now."

Asked later if having his younger brother Byron and good friend McNabb on the roster gave the Redskins an edge in the sweepstakes, the Pro Bowler answered "yeah, definitely," adding that playing in his hometown would also be a great opportunity.

Westbrook confirmed that the Redskins' offer is still on the table and that other teams are still interested.

"Right now I'm just talking it over with my agent and trying to make sure that we find the best fit for me," he said. "Several teams are interested. We've been talking back and forth with several teams."

Westbrook drove up to the Marlton, N.J., clinic with his brother, and worked with children at one of the stations with current Redskins running back Clinton Portis and former Eagles teammate Leonard Weaver.

"Anytime you can come out here to support Donovan, it's a great opportunity for me," he said. "I enjoy being out here with the kids."

By Jorge Castillo  |  June 12, 2010; 4:34 PM ET
Categories:  Running backs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins sign three draft picks
Next: McNabb hosts football clinic for kids in New Jersey

Comments

Obviously bored today. First??

Posted by: bones21 | June 12, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the Skins try this once with the Jets...

Posted by: WRBD | June 12, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

US vs England was a great game. Plenty of action, hard tackles, great defense...the US goalie took a couple of brutal boots to the chest and still was a BEAST.

Posted by: aaronharman | June 12, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: aaronharman | June 12, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse
_______________________

WO!!! Easy now.... it's still just SOCCER!

Go USA!

Posted by: tony325 | June 12, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

beeps again

Posted by: RomoLongballs | June 12, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

My country and what a country; so egoistic, yet so blessed. I cherish the system, the people, the culture, proud to be an American. Naivete and delusion are of the same womb. Please America, when it comes to Soccer game, please and I'm seriously begging, please shut the "F" up. If 90% of world population that are fascinated with the game reads Redskins posts concerning Soccer, the entire 90% will simply assume Americans in general are either naive or delusional.

Posted by: abxinc | June 12, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Westbrook make up your mind already, Gee Wiz! U.S VS an African team in World Cup finals that would be a dream come true.

Posted by: jlove22 | June 13, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Even if Westbrooke signs it's not like we're gonna keep four RB on the roster. He'll be competing just like the other two(Portis is staying).

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | June 13, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I could see some possible benefit in using Portis as the starter, LJ for short yardage/ goaline situations and Westbrook as a 3rd down back. Might be good for a season or 2 until we can draft the back of the future. That would leave Parker as the odd man out.

Posted by: unquiltom | June 13, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I wish it was 2006, we would have an All Pro Running back core. All things aside I think the RB Group will look as follows:
1. CP
2. LJ
3. BW

We will run a lot of screen plays with Westbrook. I don't think Willie Parker has what it takes to make this team

9-7