Posted at 12:36 PM ET, 11/24/2010

Redskins to add running back Andre Brown

By Rick Maese

With Clinton Portis headed to the season-ending injured reserve list, the Redskins were expected to move quickly to add free agent running back Andre Brown to their active roster, according to a league source.

Brown was a fourth-round pick in the 2009 draft by the New York Giants, but has appeared in only three NFL games. He spent all of last season on the Giants' injured reserve list, and has spent parts of the 2010 season with Denver, Carolina and Indianapolis. With the Broncos, he had two carries for minus-1 rushing yard in a Week 5 loss to Baltimore.

Brown played his college ball at N.C. State, where he started 30 career games and rushed for 2,539 yards and 22 touchdowns on 523 carries. As a senior, Brown tallied 767 rushing yards and seven touchdowns.

Brown is the fourth running back on the roster, joining Keiland Williams, Ryan Torain and James Davis, who was promoted from the practice squad this week. The team also added Kestahn Moore, a former University of Florida running back, to the practice squad on Tuesday.

By Rick Maese  | November 24, 2010; 12:36 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis, Running backs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Teammates feel loss of veteran Clinton Portis
Next: Carlos Rogers to test injured hamstring in practice

Comments

"Clinton Portis headed to injured reserve" and will be wearing a different uniform next year.

So when he is unceremoniously released I guess we can look forward to all the ninnies up here crying and blaming Shanahan and Snyder about how poorly they treated CP. The Skins were actually too "good" to CP making him the highest paid RB in NFL history and to CP's credit he left in all on the field. There are two signature runs that I'll always remember: His 1st carry as a Skin and his 23 YD Td run against Dallas in week 17. We spanked Dallas 27-6 and locked up the 6th seed in the playoffs.

The rushing record is where it belongs and the player to break it is probably wearing diapers (not geriatric diapers like TheCork).

So in response to Rypien11's "Where are all those geniuses that said that Portis was done". Right here my man, right here.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

James Davis is going to be the surprise out of this bunch, he will have a big game this week.

KW will start but Davis will be the number 2 and he will show what he can do.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 24, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

If I were Portis I think I would hang it up. He could change his lifestyle just a little and live comfortably for the rest of his life. By Comfortably I mean live in a normal house, party all night long, and spend the rest of his days knee deep in college age poon.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 24, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

So if they're adding Brown, does this mean they have doubts about Torain's serviceability in the near term, as in, they either release or IR him?

Otherwise, wouldn't you use CP's roster spot on a lineman?

Posted by: freakzilla | November 24, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Otherwise, wouldn't you use CP's roster spot on a lineman?

Posted by: freakzilla | November 24, 2010 12:45 PM |

No because Torain is hurt so they need 3 RB's available, when Torain is healthy they could cut this new guy.

They have had 4 RB on the active roster all year, they have not activated all of them for every game though.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 24, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

FYI for Anybody driving north this holiday weekend via I-95 needs to avoid the MD/DE toll at Newark:

You can easily detour around the toll plaza through the town of Newark....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 24, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why everyone is so positive of that CP will not play here again next year.

Consider the following:

He will not get a big contract from any other team next year, so he will come cheap.

He knows and respects Shanahan and the system in DC.

Shanahan knows and respects him. (And is clearly not shy about bringing in older backs (Johnson, Parker, Westbrook)

He would be a good complementary/3rd down back in a limited role, even at 30 years of age.

He pocketed enough of Snyder's money that he just may feel he left some business on the table here for the last couple years, and may want to come back and finish some things up. IE franchise rushing record, winning in the playoffs etc.

I would not be surprised in the least to see Portis back here next year.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 24, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

You can easily detour around the toll plaza through the town of Newark....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 24, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and you can cure herpes by dipping your junk in battery acid...

I'd rather sit in the traffic.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 24, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

whatever floats your boat PA....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 24, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I want to commend deisel 44 for being a true hater. He's been a hater for a while and continues to be a hater.

He hatin on the 2nd best redskin rusher of all time. He's also a self proclaimed genius (see above).

Portis is a true tough guy hard nosed football player. It takes some hater chops to hate a player of this caliber who plays on such an unsuccessful team. But, deez44's got skills and he hate Portis.

Congrats deez44 for hatin on one of your favorite teams best players of all time.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 24, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

whatever floats your boat PA....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 24, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey I'm from PA, making Jersey jokes is what floats my boat. They make fun of the way we drive and we make fun of their open sewer system.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 24, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

So when he is unceremoniously released ...

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2010 12:42 PM

Unceremoniously is the way Cerrato would have done it. Allen has more class. There will be a major release ceremony. I think it will be a retirement party, though.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 24, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 24, 2010 1:03 PM

Hey who doesn’t love a good slam on New Jersey? I was, however, talking about Newark, Delaware.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 24, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

If I were paskinsfan17 I think I would hang it up. He could move into a dumpster and eat scraps.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 24, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 24, 2010 12:49 PM

This is true, but the difference now is that our O-line is doing its best impression of the extras in an ER scene on M*A*S*H.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 24, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17

He is not talking about Newark, NJ. He is talking about Newark, Del. I take that route every time I come home to Maryland from New Jersey

Posted by: jm220 | November 24, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 24, 2010 12:53 PM |

I can't speak for everyone but my view is that Clinton's run as an NFL player is over. He will retire. He played in eight games last year, only five this year. No team wants a guy at his age who can't stay on the field. He's made a ton of money. Time to move on.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 24, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I love CP. Not only one of the best backs the Skins have ever had, but also a great blocking back.

Maybe he'll be here next year, maybe not. I doubt he's done playing though. Some people said LT was finished too, and he's playing well with the Jets this year.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 24, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Who needs Portis when you've got super-studs like Ryan torain and Chad Simpson?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 24, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | November 24, 2010 1:08 PM |

Well then they need to IR some of those linemen and add new ones.

You only get so many roster spots for each position.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 24, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Let's all be VERY CLEAR. Portis didn't need to play vs Tenn -- Shanahan should have kept him out. I posted last week that I'd wait another week on CP -- and doubt I was alone in thinking that. His injury sounded nasty and a week of practice at full speed seemed like a minimum requirement to get back on the field.

Portis is on IR because of Shanahan's dumb move.

fwiw, I've been very mixed on CP. Said I would have let him go before this year. But he's been great in pass pro and when healthy, a beast of a runner. He's also been a challenge in the locker room and he basically didn't show up for the 2009 season.

I did a ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPRECTIVES a few weeks back to discuss his future -- advocating that he try to become a Kevin Faulk type player when he returned from his injury.

Bottom line, I'm sorry to see him go on IR -- but I mad because the smartest coach we've had in a long time made a very dumb decision.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 24, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 24, 2010 1:11 PM

Apples and oranges. LT hasn't had the injury history that CP has had.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 24, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 24, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Shut up peabrain we all know that 2003 is a shoutout to your dad and it stands for the 2003rd guy your mom slept with.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 24, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

So, who had Keiland Williams, Ryan Torain, James Davis, and Andre Brown as our week 12 backfield in the pre-season poll?

Amazing.

We wanted youth, we got it!

Posted by: stevek20147 | November 24, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 24, 2010 1:14 PM |

Dude get over it already Portis would have reaggravated that injury no matter when he came back.

You can't hold a spot all year for a guy who is hurt they had to give it a shot and he got re-injured, so you move on.

You really think Portis was going to make a difference down the stretch?

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 24, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Portis will return next year, I predict. We don't have a strong RB Corp AND we have few draft picks....again.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 24, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 24, 2010 1:14 PM

Do you think any medical doctors were involved in this or do you think that Shanahan just ignores their advice?

Posted by: beep-beep | November 24, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Zeke, MS would not have played CP if he was not cleared by the docs. Also, CP wanted to play as much as MS wanted him out there.

There was definitely some poor planning by MS leaving the team thin at RB for the Tenn game, but to me the mistake came when he was not put on IR immediately following the injury.

Either way, there has been some questionable decision making by MS.

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 24, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Not to say that we won’t see CP26 in burgundy in gold again, but…

I suspect Redskins could offer CP26 an opportunity to renegotiate his contract -- because under his current deal, he would make an insanely profane amount of money if he somehow survived and made it onto the roster next season.

If he refuses to negotiate, the team will probably be forced to release him outright -- and let him test the market if he wants.

Am guessing any team could make a fair offer for him -- something in the $1 to 1.5 million per season over the next two or three years range as a base, with incentives for practicing, staying healthy, starting games, and achieving certain performance goals.

While his ego and agents will undoubtedly say he deserves so much more, people will look at his two consecutive seasons of 500 yards or less of offensive production -- and several weeks of dithering before finally trading roster spots for slots on the IR list.

Another complicating factor is the ever- looming walk out/lock out -- which will probably be especially tough and uncompromising on overpriced veterans of a certain age and mileage.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 24, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Out of all the RBs we have do any of them run a low 4.3?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 24, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 24, 2010 1:14 PM
----------------------------------------
is Shanny really that smart?..because he's made a few bone-head move this season...maybe if he wasn't so smart he'd take time to think thing through before doing them...maybe

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | November 24, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Out of all the RBs we have do any of them run a low 4.3?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 24, 2010 1:25 PM |

But I guarantee you you can't name me 5 RB's in the entire league that do.

I'll help you with the 1st one.

Chris Johnson

Your turn!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 24, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

But I guarantee you you can't name me 5 RB's in the entire league that do.

I'll help you with the 1st one.

Chris Johnson

Your turn!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 24, 2010 1:28 PM
--------------------------------------
Darren Sporles....
your turn

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | November 24, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

But I guarantee you you can't name me 5 RB's in the entire league that do.

I'll help you with the 1st one.

Chris Johnson

Your turn!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 24, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

CJ Spiller
Jahvid Best
Felix Jones?
DmC?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 24, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 24, 2010 1:03 PM

I don't "hate" Portis. I just expect production from the highest paid RB in the history of the league. Football players are commodities and when they no longer perform, you replace them.

Had Portis lead us to a Super Bowl my handle would be CP26, southeastjerome26, etc.

I don't hate you either pabrain. Happy Turkey Day.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Rogers BEEPS

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 24, 2010 1:03 PM

You gotta love this guy. He throws a hissy fit that's palpable... even when being read from a blog. "Hater"...that'll show 'em. Now go upstairs, tell your mom how you defended Clinton from all the hater meanies today and see if you can help her with Thanksgiving dinner.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 24, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

It has always puzzled me why so many people talk about Portis in such heated terms. He was a very good back, for a good chunk of years. He was goofy at times, outspoken others, but always taken more seriously and listented to far more than I think he even expected to be. I'm glad we had him, I think we will miss his all out style of play, and away we go...there are other backs that will emerge, and no one has shown us that in the NFL over the last 15 years more than Shanahan.

Posted by: jstone32 | November 24, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------
I'll sidestep the obvious inclination to suggest that he has made far more than one dumb decision (um ... trading draft picks to a division rival for a QB who, while an improvement over some of the hacks who have rolled through town — that's you, Patrick Ramsey/Danny Wiffleball/Shane Matthews — clearly is on the downside of his career ... then benching said QB ... then calling out his understanding of the two-minute offense in favor of a guy who didn't actually run the two-minute while in Houston ... then calling McNabb out of shape ... then citing injuries ... then playing a hobbled Portis ... etc.)

I'm pretty sure most of us on this board could win a bunch of games with Elway running the show. Give him the ball, get out of the way and shut up.

To me, the Shanahan mystique gets less and less impressive every day.

Posted by: DC2Dallas | November 24, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"Instead, it's worth asking: is Shanahan really that great a coach? We all can agree that John Elway either is the greatest QB of all time, or at least on the short list, right? Lombardi Part Deux has won exactly one playoff game in his career without Elway manning the helm. ONE."

Posted by: DC2Dallas | November 24, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, not this again. Not one coach has won a Super Bowl without his share of good players.

Bill Walsh, never won without Montana. Bill Belichick had a number of poor seasons. It's not coincidential that his current run of form overlaps with Tom Brady's career. Even the coaches who have won without great quaterbacks have rosters packed with the good and the great.

Joe Gibbs had the Hogs and a team leavened with Hall of Famers, All Pros and Pro Bowlers. The same applies to Bill Parcells, Chuck Noll, Jimmy Johnson. Even great innovators like Paul Brown didn't win when he didn't have the playing talent to work with. Don Shula had Marino, but never had the defence or running game to win the championship.

Elway didn't win until Shanahan turned up and by the time Elway won his titles he was no where near the player he had been. So Shanahan hasn't won a championship without a strong roster. No one has, what separates a good coach from a bad one is what they do when they have the playing talent. Shanahan has shown he can win championships.

That said, I think he has made a lot of mistakes this year. The immediate switch to the 3-4 seems both unnecessary and ill-advised. I think the Haynesworth situation has been mishandled. Also, Joey Galloway must be part of a bet or some huge practical joke. To my mind he is not currently one of the top five coaches in the league , but the "he hasn't won anything without Elway" argument just doesn't hold up.

Posted by: WeNeedLinemen | November 24, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Flouder21...hate to disappoint you guy but Davis most likely won't do much for the Skins....the Browns have a better O line than the Skins most weeks and Davis never did a thing when he had the opportunities with them...he had a good preseason last year but nothing much since.
I'm a lifelong Skins fan but have lived in Cleveland for the last five years so I've seen plenty of him

Posted by: michaelmto | November 24, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

why not bring LJ back? He was with us the hold preseason. If the offense was so hard why bring someone in you have teach the system to in one week... This one sad situation

Posted by: mikemustgo | November 24, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Portis is a one of my favorite Redskins of all time...The list goes Monk, D. Green, Olkewicz, Jacoby, Portis..... The fact that he is in reality a 195 pound RB, but plays like he's 295, commands respect. He put his body on the line countless times, RARELY ran out of bounds to avoid contact, and gave us an endless amount of talk-show fodder. Thanks for the memories CP...enjoy your next team.

Posted by: wewbank1 | November 25, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

If Andre get a good shot to show his stuff, I think he can become a regular. Don't know what happened elsewhere, but the kid can run the ball in traffic and has a good motor.

Posted by: dcjazzman | November 26, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse

The back that should be playing is James Davis. Go to youtube and watch this guy he played with CJ Spiller and they were called thunder and lightning. He has speed and power. He will be our starting back if they don't screw up and not give him a chance.

Posted by: stephenwilson2003@yahoo.com | November 26, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

@Pabrian, No disrespect, Portis will not touch Riggo maybe only in his respect every day. We are two years away from the Super Bowl. Hope it's sooner but this team both players and coaches sucked. Now we have Men who know the coach means business. I do disagree with Haynesworth being on the team,understood he has been paid a ton no a ton and a half. I hope off-season we get at least two seconds or a one and a solid OL Raiders might go for it. I am thrilled something crazy didn't work out to get Matt Stafford. I wouldn't have drafted him in the 5th he was brilliant after getting hurt twice same shoulder,passing arm he sits and gets a huge contract. He and Strasburg should play together both are toast. I hope we get a different backup QB. Well it's 3am can't sleep sorry for the long post "WHERES GIBBS"

Posted by: southportwave | November 27, 2010 2:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: southportwave | November 27, 2010 2:58 AM | Report abuse

You write, "With the Broncos, he had two carries for minus-1 rushing yard in a Week 5 loss to Baltimore."

Appears he is another perfect fit for the Deadskin backfield. Way to go to the $nyder brain trust!

Posted by: burro2 | November 27, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse