Ryan Torain has designs on playing again for Mike Shanahan

With the Redskins meeting with free agent Brian Westbrook today, no doubt the running backs already on the roster are keeping their ears open. The possibility of signing yet another veteran back would no doubt affect the others, particularly someone like Ryan Torain.

In a backfield that already has three proven veteran running backs in Clinton Portis, Willie Parker and Larry Johnson, you would think Torain might envision a specific role, perhaps as a speed back who can provide a change of pace from the downhill running style of the three stars.

But Torain, who was drafted by Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan when he was with the Denver Broncos in the fifth round of the 2008 draft, has no aspirations of playing just a small role in the offense here in Washington.

"I'm coming here to start," he said during the team's minicamp last weekend. "I'm coming here to play. Everybody is coming here to play and if you don't think you can play you've got to go. So that's the main goal is to come out and play."

Torain seems like he'd be a good fit as a third-down. But that could also be how a back like Westbrook would be used, as well. Torain played one season under Shanahan in Denver, appearing in two games with one start and carrying the ball 15 times for 68 yards and one touchdown.

That year, as a rookie, Torain missed most of the season after breaking his left elbow and suffering ligament damage, but he remained a favorite of Shanahan, who compared the running back to former Denver star Terrell Davis the day he was hurt in practice.

"It's a big loss," Shanahan told reporters at the time, according to the Colorado Springs Gazette. "I thought he had the chance to compete to be a starting running back. One of the most gifted running backs I've been around for a long time, very similar to Terrell Davis when he came in."

Torain returned to start against Cleveland that season, but then suffered a season-ending injury to his left anterior cruciate ligament in the first half.

After competing for a role in Denver's backfield last year to open training camp, Torain strained his left knee ligament. With Shanahan long gone, he was waived/injured. He spent last year out of football, rehabbing in Tempe, Ariz., before Shanahan signed him on April 19.

"I trained all last year for this opportunity and I'm just going to take full advantage of it," Torain said. "I trained like I was going to the combine again. It was basically the same thing, all the drills, it was pretty hard training."

Torain acknowledged that the offense was similar to what Shanahan ran in Denver in 2008, saying that he was having an easier time "jelling" to the system. Though perhaps in the style of a player familiar with rules under Shanahan he hesitated to talk about plays or give too much detail as to the system, even just to acknowledge how similar things were to 2008.

While Torain wants to start, the backfield is crowded with plenty of experience, and Torain has much to prove - especially that he can stay healthy. Torain said he hasn't lost a step despite the injuries, and though he hopes to leap ahead of the three favored running backs on the depth chart, the second-year back also understands the value of being around those same veterans.

"We got a lot of great backs," he said. "I can learn a lot from them so that's what I'm taking advantage of. They are great players and we're going to have a great backfield."

By Paul Tenorio  |  May 12, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan , Running backs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Adam Carriker hopes for a fresh start with Redskins, Jim Haslett
Next: Russ Grimm picks Joe Bugel for Hall of Fame presentation

Comments

woW...

Run, Forest, Run

Posted by: WRBD | May 12, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

HE has to 1st stop getting injured......

Then...Maybe then...he can prove his worth.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 12, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

We need a fresh young RB in Washington.

But CP26 still has a 1400 yd season ahead of him.

I think I'll take CP in the first round of my fantasy draft this year.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 12, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I thought LeBron wanted to play in New York? I don’t think he would come to DC; horrible franchise and he’s gotta know the DC fans hate him. I could actually see him pulling the Deion Sanders routine and go to a team who is “one piece” away from a championship, so that he could bestow all of the credit upon himself if/when they won it all, and then depending on his contract, try to do it again with a different team to legitimize the “fact” that he is a franchise “savior”. So I would predict that if LA doesn’t win it this year, he’s a Laker next year, or else goes to Orlando.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 12, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

how big is Torian?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

LeBron should go overseas and play and become the "global icon" he wants to be.

F LeTravel James.

iH8, Portis will beast out this year. All this talk about him not having a "burst" is nonsense.

Dude was playing with freakin bone spurs in his ankle last season. The ones talking about his lack of burst are the same ones who wouldn't be able to even walk if they had the same condition.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 12, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I think I'll take CP in the first round of my fantasy draft this year.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 12, 2010 10:18 AM

Then I think I want you in my league this year...

I predict that Torain becomes a star here and gets a bunch of corny nicknames from the media (namely Chris Berman)--like "All-Torain Runner" and "RTV" (Ryan Torain Vehicle). He'll bump Parker off the roster, maybe even LJ.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 12, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The thing about last night...Shaq finally came to play....LEbron?? Not so much...

He is sooo leaving Cleveland....

I can actually see him coming to Washington....He can look to get alot of political connections lined up for his life after BBall...And he can always Helicopter over to NY in an hour or 2...G4 it...whateves....HE can line up Obama's pockets...Republican Pockets...Independent's pockets...Such as

After all, he wants to become a 'Global Icon'....can't do it from a much better NBA city then Washington DC....White House is less than 2 minutes away (when the prez is riding)...Cap Hill is only 4 mins away....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 12, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

LeBron wants to go to Money-Maker, period....All those Madison Ave pimps and dealers can't wait to get their sleazy hands on him, and he'll rake piles, fer sure..

"4th, agreed on Bron, although his teammates just sort of stand around, and do nothing if he's not dominating."

The Cavs looked utterly listless last night..And when LeBron leaves, the entire City of Cleveland is going to buy a bottle of Jack and play Russian Roulette all night..

Posted by: frak | May 12, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

how big is Torian?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 10:24 AM

6'1", 225 pounds. Nice size for a change-of-pace to Portis.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 12, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Wow! I didn't even know LeBron could play running back.

Posted by: groundhogdayguy | May 12, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I don't see how Torain has more to offer than Portis, LJ, or Parker, coming off a torn ACL.

Bean,

Torain: 6-1, 225

Posted by: RedDMV | May 12, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 12, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Bone spurs sound like the equivalent of kidney stones in your leg. Portis is back this year in a big way.People are quick to forget when healthy, which he seems to be, he is a top 5 back.

@brownwood- I dominate.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 12, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

thanks guys, not sure what to make of this...comparing him to TD is high praise...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

6-1, 225 sounds more like a 1st and 2nd down back not a change of pace. From what I remember when he was with the broncos he was a hard-nosed runner - just got unlucky with injuries.

Posted by: skinswest | May 12, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

4th, White characters using the word ni**a in Scorsese movies is nothing short of the truth in how blacks are described when talking amongst each other.

Every now and then the real bold ones will shout the N-word at you from a distance.

They're called "Tea Partiers".

Posted by: RedDMV | May 12, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I used to use that word when I was eight hiding under some bushes. I didn't know better, my parents being the bigots that they were. But after attending church for years and learning some of the dictates of Jesus Christ, I began thinking about how I might feel about being called "cracker" to my face. Not that anyone ever did that I knew of. Gradually, I began to realize that we're all equal in this world, monied or not, and that a basic common respect for one another is hard earned, and easily lost. So I try, but than I fail when I meet some on here who do not respect themselves or others. At that point, I revert to my childhood for which I must apologize to all for my human failings.

Posted by: glawrence007 | May 12, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 12, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

This dude Torrain could be nice...6"1 225 lb with young legs.

"Rarely brought down on first contact, Torain was a true all-around running back who oftentimes hits defenders harder than they hit him.

He combines speed, strength, agility and soft hands that would likely have been an All-America and postseason awards candidate had he stayed healthy as a senior".

Posted by: ksquare | May 12, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

how big is Torian?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 10:24 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------

It's hard to tell because he's usually on a gurney. His official height on the gurney is 1'10".

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | May 12, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 12, 2010 9:57 AM

You forgot to add that Jordan is just a general all-around dsjk in the first place and will never give credit to anyone. He invited the guy who made his HS team over him to his Hall of Fame induction to rub the guy's face in it.

I don't like LeBron but anyone who watches the game knows he is the best player in the league right now and one of the best to ever play the game. Put the roster of his Cleveland teams next to the rosters of the teams led by Jordan or any of the other greats. Dude has been doing more with less for years. He's hurt right now and it has hampered his effectiveness. To his credit he hasn't made a big deal out of it. And he's going to sign with the team that gives him the best chance to be a billion dollar athlete.

On Torain: He could make some noise if he could stay healthy. Unfortunately, being injury prone is not conducive to playing RB.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 12, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

@brownwood- I dominate.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 12, 2010 10:37 AM

Not if you take Portis in the 1st round, you won't.

I had Portis in '08...dude was cash money the first half of the season and he rode my bench the 2nd half. Thank God I also had Maurice Jones-Drew and Thomas Jones or I wouldn't have made the playoffs, let alone won the championship.

Of course, having Drew Brees helped too...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 12, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Soon to be free agents not in a Wizards uni that I would like to see (In order):

Durant
Wade
Carmelo

That's it. All three can beast out and have proven to be clutch.

Oh, and not true about Lebron's teammates. In game four they were taking shots down the stretch when Lebron was WATCHING them.

Lebron is an overrated POS. I hope he bolts for Ukraine this summer.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 12, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 12, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like Torrain is made out of glass. Can this guy stay healthy?

Posted by: edvar | May 12, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"But CP26 still has a 1400 yd season ahead of him."

I think, in all honesty, he has 14, 100 yard seasons in front of him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 12, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Don't you just love it when someone throws the people who gave them life, fed them, clothed them, and loved them under the bus because of their human failings? Must be nice to be perfect.

One day maybe you'll be lucky enough to have your kids come on a blog and show their gratitude by telling the world that you were an idiot.

Posted by: ggt546 | May 12, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

^^^@LH - Well - You know the law...and apparently his lawyers do too....Gotta do what you gotta do to avoid jail time.....

Also - Great work lining up the excuses for LeBron....Great work...he should hire you...today...

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 12, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"^^^Make sure to join the RI Fantasy Football league....The revenge of 4th...1st and last on my list: CrISs LaRrY

Posted by: 4thFloor

Everybody be gunnin' for the CHAMPION 4th....take a number, then collect your beating.

While it was fun stomping on you 4th...nothing like taking out "know-it-alls" like zcezest and psp23!!!!!

3 fantasy teams last year: 2 championship, 1 championship lost by .5 points!

I am a Nerd BEAST!

Posted by: chrislarry | May 12, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

lt is a pos, however that 'pimp' needs to have his brains spray painted onto a wall via a .12 guage.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

The Denver staff and fan base was over the moon for this guy when he was drafted. In the Denver market, he was one of the biggest stories and highly anticipated players going into Shanahan's last year in Denver. His injuries were considered unlucky and I don't think he had any chronic type injury concerns coming into the league. He is young, hungry and talented, and these are the types of backs that Shanahan has made a career discovering.

He usually runs them into the ground during their entry level contract then ships them off to someone else to pay them after their past their prime.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | May 12, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Lebron lacks the ability to put a foot on a neck, despite being the most physically gifted athlete in basketball. Kobe still has the ability to rip a player's heart out and serve it to him with a side of fava beans and a nice chianti. For the record, the next Chosen One is not Lebron; it's Kevin Durant.

Ryan Torain busts an elbow signing his autograph. Reminds me of Kelvin Bryant.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | May 12, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Who said anything about love?

Posted by: glawrence007 | May 12, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 12, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

That sure is a lot of excuses for Lebron.

I'd say Mike Brown's coaching is more to blame for the Cav's failures.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 12, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Greg on that...how they go after LT and not the pimp is beyond me...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 12, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"A condom was found in Taylor's hotel room, but sources told TMZ that his lawyers will argue it wasn't his and he didn't use it."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/lawrence_taylor_engaged_in_self_4O5m56kXE4DKCnsodgIijN#ixzz0nj9zwdkM

They're gonna use the OJ Simpson defense: If the glove don't fit you must acquit.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 12, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | May 12, 2010 10:54 AM

3 injuries in 13 months may be a concern in my book....But I hope he succeeds and knocks off LJ and WillieP

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 12, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm always hoping for a diamond in the ruff. But injuries seem to follow this kid. Hopefully he can stay healthy and produce what shannahan first saw in him.

Posted by: Devo2 | May 12, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I watched Torain play alot in college, and he's NOT a 3rd down back. He's actually a very similar runner in terms of size and style to Larry Johnson. Big, strong, good straightline speed, hard downhill runner, breaks tackles, finishes runs. But even at ASU he could never stay healthy. He has the natural ability to be a workhorse RB in the NFL, but I don't think he'll ever stay healthy.

Posted by: brianc2540 | May 12, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Choke on it Lebron and Cavalier fans. LA back 2 back champs!!!!

-------

Agreed on Lebron, but I'm thinking this is the Magic's year. They're tearing it up, and are a better team than the one that lost to LA last year.

I'm not sure why anyone thought Cleveland was going to stroll past Orlando anyways. Couldn't beat them last year in the playoffs, lost repeatedly to them this year.

Cape Fear is one of the most underrated movies I've seen. Wizard-work.

You are right - white folks talk that way amongst themselves sometimes...both the tea folks, who combine it with "thug", and the progressives, who combine it with "suckers".

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | May 12, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

My league in 07 was alot like you guys are on Portis.

It was a hot August night, vodka ran through my veins like paint thinner. My eyes blurred, head foggy, but a great pick was ahead of me.

The third round came and the crowd laughed and ridiculed me. My choice: Randy Moss.

"He's done" "Did you see him in Oakland?" "He has nothing left"

The laughs angered me, as I screamed to them, "Shut the f*ck up and keep reading your fantasy magazines before you take your pick. You freaking nerds!"

I think Randy had a pretty good year in 2007.

There is a method to the madness and it's called the super secret f*cking football formula.

The point of my antecdote: portis is not done- 1,463 yards and 11TDs

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 12, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

LeBron is proof--as if we need any-- that basketball is a team sport.

No player has ever won it alone, or Wilt Chamberlain would have clocked about a dozen chamopinships.

Dan Snyder has been teaching Skins fans this lesson for over a decade--it's great to have stars, but to win big you'd better have a TEAM.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

AM hearing chants of LeBron being this generation's Dominque Wilkins??

@PPSTR8 - Here is what MB should be saying:
'WTF are y'all doing...run the play...If Lebron passes you the ball...pass that MoFo back to him'

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 12, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Hope Torain can comeback, maybe with the "Terry Allen Cure-De-Jour, hmm-my-way-Rhodesia", know what I'm sayin'..

"Durant
Wade
Carmelo"

Don' fergit Higher-Ominous Bosh, Red..

Posted by: frak | May 12, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 12, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse
_____________

Does this mean that LT's going to have to try it on in front of the jury to prove it doesn't fit?

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 12, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Portis may not be done...I hope he isn't, anyways.

It does appear they are giving him a kick in the pants with the other guys they have brought in, however. Now Westbrook comes to town.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | May 12, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

Agreed about Jordan still being an smug a-hole after all these years.

But on Lebron, I totally disagree.

First of all, Lebron's game is based on his size and not his skill. When he drives the lane he just bowls people over and is somehow able to draw a blocking call, of course, this is after he took about five steps after he picked up his dribble.

The only thing that impresses me about Lebron is his ability to cover the half court. Those blocked shots he gets on fast breaks are overrated and many of them are a blatant goaltend.

And another thing I don't get is that how is it when the Cavaliers were winning everyone was talking how they were improved as a whole and this was before they acquired Jamison. But now that they're losing it's "aw, they are a one man show" or "his teammates didn't show up". Thats a bunch of BS all created by the media to protect their newly anointed golden goose since Tiger's debacle and Jordan's retirement.

And lh, don't play yourself. The "elbow" thing is just drama manufactured by his camp to put the attention on him. He looks at Kobe and his aliments and how he's able to get it done and earn the respect because of it. Lebron just wants to the same thing. His elbow is NOT hurting him at all. It didn't look when he power windmill'd stuffed one or when he threw, err, um GOALTENDED Ray Allen's shot.

Lebron's Elbow = Tiger's neck = malingering BS'ers

Posted by: RedDMV | May 12, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Greg on that...how they go after LT and not the pimp is beyond me...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 12, 2010 10:58 AM

"Professional courtesy"

Posted by: beep-beep | May 12, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Durant is the best college player I have ever seen.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 12, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"That sure is a lot of excuses for Lebron.

I'd say Mike Brown's coaching is more to blame for the Cav's failures."

Think if he had Phil Jackson as a coach, he'd learn to be more of a team player, like Kobe..I don't think Brown is that great a coach, not bad, but not championship calibre. Knicks would be wise to have a solid vet coach in place before they land LeBron.I think Kobe and Lebron are in a class by themselves, but Kobe has better coaching..

Posted by: frak | May 12, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | May 12, 2010 10:55 AM

I LOVE Kobe but how many necks did Kobe step on when his starting lineup consisted of Smush Parker, Odom, Kwame Brown/Mihm, Walton/Radmanovic? You gotta have at least one other uber talent to win it in the League.

You may not like Lebron but you gotta respect him.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 12, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I am somewhat ambivalent about the NBA/Lebron nowadays, but correct me if I am wrong the Celtic/Cavs still have a game 7 right?

Posted by: chrislarry | May 12, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Cape Fear is one of the most underrated movies I've seen. Wizard-work.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | May 12, 2010 11:01 AM

i know the subject was Scorsese movies but check out the original Cape Fear too. Robert Mitchum's portrayal of the villain is just as spectacular as Robert DeNiro's.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 12, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 12, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse
_____________

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 12, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I can see him getting a nice endosement deal with Magnum after this ends.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 12, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

...When he drives the lane he just bowls people over and is somehow able to draw a blocking call, of course, this is after he took about five steps after he picked up his dribble...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 12, 2010 11:06 AM

C'mon, man, haven't you heard of the "crab dribble"? All the NBA stars get to use it!

MJ travelled his ass off, but he never came up with a funny name for it.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I still think Portis has a little burst. If we all take a little stroll down memory lane (hopefully not holding hands) it was just last training camp that Portis and Landry had their little race to see who was faster, and Portis, even though he pulled something, was neck and neck with Landry. Say what you will about LL30, he is a pretty fast dude and a few years younger than Portis

Posted by: monk811 | May 12, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

cl, game 6 first....then game 7...

celts are up 3-2....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Not going after the pimp?? Sounds like LT is getting the Hudson Railroad Treatment..

Posted by: frak | May 12, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

This dude Torrain could be nice...6"1 225 lb with young legs.

Posted by: ksquare | May 12, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

This dude was a JUCO transfer to ASU. Couldn't even stay healthy for 2 seasons there. When you miss half you Senior season and 1/4 of your D-1 career then go 2-3 years with consecutive injuries in the NFL something is wrong.
I don't really see how people can say he has been unlucky with injuries. To me it looks like he is flat out injury prone. Hope he stays healthy but our backfield may start looking like a triage unit with all these injury question marks.

Posted by: Stu27 | May 12, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"the problem with bron going to NY is that they're gonna give him a max contract, then not have any other money to sign another halfway decent player....ny will then equal cleveland...good team but wont ever win the big game...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Sweet as a Knicks fan BG just gave us the championship with this prediction!!!!!!

1. Yes they are under the cap enough for 2 big contracts

2. After the last decade of the Knicks....we'd pee our pants in glee for some heartbreaker conference final losses

3. Actually have a few nice young players who would benefit from legit top tier NBA talent.

Posted by: chrislarry | May 12, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

The pimp has been charged. He's not a celebrity so it's not receiving the same coverage.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 12, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

cl, game 6 first....then game 7...

celts are up 3-2....

Posted by: BeantownGreg

Right....so aren't these Lebron/Cav Obits a wee bit premature?!?!

Posted by: chrislarry | May 12, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I agree, sounds extremely injury prone, like Marcus Washington at the end of his career, dude couldn't stay on the field for anything

Posted by: monk811 | May 12, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 12, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Why do they never call 5 steps on him?

and why does Kobe always look so mad when the ball is stolen from him or blocked? He stares at the ref with a screwface while the other team is taking it back down the court.Like it's impossible that anyone on the planet could possibly steal the ball from him, much less block his shot.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 12, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

1. Yes they are under the cap enough for 2 big contracts

Posted by: chrislarry | May 12, 2010 11:18 AM

are the Knicks going to stick with Mike D'Antoni? or is he already gone?

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 12, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

"the problem with bron going to NY is that they're gonna give him a max contract, then not have any other money to sign another halfway decent player".

Isn't is possible for any team to sign anyone they want, and just pay the luxury tax?

The salary cap doesn't seem to matter to any of the NY teams.

Posted by: ksquare | May 12, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

given the mail in that the cavs did on game 5....I don't know...they had a chance, to put this one away....didn't sieze their chance....

They've never come back from a 3-2 deficit, so take that for what its worth...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Jordan = GOAT.

LBJ will never have the same drive.

I've got about 5 youtube clips saved somewhere where Kobe's shamelessly posing off Jordan's mannerisms (see last year's celebration at buzzer of last finals game vs. MJ in Utah in '98, for one).

Dude has a major issue about bein' Mike's clone.

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 12, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Celtics win the Championship this year.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 12, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"are the Knicks going to stick with Mike D'Antoni? or is he already gone?

Posted by: terrapin3

He is safe...With him and Donnie Walsh it was always about this offseason. Now if he poopies the bed after the all stars they add this offseason...then he will be gone. But as long as he offended players enough to make them leave (contract dumps) and developed a few youngens to prep for 2010 Free Agent Offseason Bonanza....he was in good standing.

Posted by: chrislarry | May 12, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Bird = GOAT

fixed it for ya......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Durant is the best college player I have ever seen.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 12, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I second that. dude averaged like 30 in the Big 12. Greg Oden looked like his bones were about to turn to dust when he runs. I understand that you draft for the potential of a dominant big man. But him over Durant was the dumbest move ives seen. Durant was so obviously on the fast track. Oden looked like he had already played in the league for a bout 15 years.

Posted by: Stu27 | May 12, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Didn't CP have his longest run from scrimmage last year since his first career Redskin touch?.. and that was running away from folks.

It's pretty easy to stop a team that had ONE offensive weapon. If McNubbin can have some consistency that should open it up a bit for whoever is running with it.

Portis' talent is not based on speed, but on control; small momentum shifts that yield an extra few yards for the carry.

I'll stop short of those 1.4K predictions, but I could see him approaching 1K and getting major help from a #2 bak.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 12, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

i like the fundamentals. drives me crazy to watch Kobe play. almost every shot he takes is a bad one. damn if he doesn't still make most of 'em, though.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 12, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I would agree Cavs are on the ropes but I have watched enough 7 game series in BB/BB/NHL to know that that siht isn't over till its ovah.

(Yes typed like a true caps fan....)

Posted by: chrislarry | May 12, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Jordan definitely the GOAT. But Stockton is my favorite of all time.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 12, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Bird = GOAT

fixed it for ya......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Bob Knight said he is the greatest player he ever coached. Yep that's right, Knight.

Posted by: Stu27 | May 12, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | May 12, 2010 11:29 AM

Agreed, a 3-2 series lead in NBA is about as safe as a 20pt lead early in the 4th qtr……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 12, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

(Yes typed like a true caps fan....)

Posted by: chrislarry | May 12, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Even if they do make it past Boston somehow, it's tough to see them beating the Magic.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 12, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

MJ travelled his ass off, but he never came up with a funny name for it.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 11:15 AM

NOBODY traveled like those Georgetown centers...especially Patrick Ewing. He's still the only player in NBA history to get 6 steps without a call...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 12, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"...are the Knicks going to stick with Mike D'Antoni?"

The NBA will gain major props once a championship caliber team is in New York.

As good as a Boston v. Lakers matchup is, a Knicks v. Lakers Finals is just as compelling.

That is, if the Knicks ever get out of the morass Isiah Thomas, et al. put them in.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 12, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Jordan definitely the GOAT. But Stockton is my favorite of all time.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 12, 2010 11:32 AM

So, he's the FOAT?

Posted by: stevek20147 | May 12, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

You been away a long time... maybe you don't know... I don't shine shoes no more..."

"What? I just got home and already he's gettin" f^(&ing fresh..."

"Hey ma... I'm gonna borrah 'dis kitchen knife... we hit a deer and his... paw... whattya call that? His HOOF got caught in the front grille..."

I LOVE GOODFELLAS

Posted by: richardgovea | May 12, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Kobe will never be nothin' but an imitator who did the best job of patenting MJ's game...

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 12, 2010 11:25 AM

Kobe keeps bringing home the hardware, so if that's being "nothin' but an imitator" then surely originality must be overrated!

I always thought Jordan stole a lot of his game from Dr J.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 11:26 AM

Bean - got lots of love for Bird...prob top 5-6.... not sure he can beat out MJ, Wilt, Russell, Oscar....Probably about even with Magic, Elgin, West, Shaq, Kobe...

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 12, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Bird = GOAT

fixed it for ya......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 11:26 AM

Hope you're kidding there...the only other acceptable answer beside MJ is Wilt.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 12, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Orlando will embarrass either of the teams they face in the conference finals.

They'll also be the most dominant Eastern Conference team for the next 6-7 years. Following 2011, Orlando will void the team option for Vince Carter opening up $20 million in cap space, and will use the money to sign Kevin Durant. In 2013 Rashard Lewis' contract will run up, opening up $22 million in cap space, and they'll resign Howard to a max contract. Durant and Howard together combine to become the most dominant 1-2 punch since Shaq/Kobe.

You heard it here first.

Posted by: psps23 | May 12, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Hard to argue against Bill Russell....

Posted by: chrislarry | May 12, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | May 12, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Bob Knight never coached Larry Bird

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 12, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Hoo the hell is Torain and why should we care?

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | May 12, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Watching NFLN...Bruce Allen's sister Jennifer is a straight MILF...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 12, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

brown, was kidding about 33, but, if you're throwing wilt, I'm gonna counter with Russell, and thats where the argument ends...no one can come close to the hardware that Russ brings...Wilt had better stats, but Russ...come on...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 11:37 AM

Kobe's a great player. He's still a phony poser, though.

Some of MJ's above-the-rim game was similar to Dr. J, but Jordan's game post 1993 wasn't anywhere near Dr. Js. Plus MJ wasn't blatantly ripping of Julius' moves/mannerisms.

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 12, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 12, 2010 11:41 AM

Bird transferred to Indiana State from Indiana.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 12, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

one cat who don't get near the pub he deserves is Bernard King....he had a couple years where he was just ufb.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Someone say Dr J?
Good ol Dr J….
DR. J had to have been NBA TV commentators favorite nickname of all time. It was pure gold when he was having a good game:
“The doctor is IN!”
“The Doctor is performing surgery out there!”
“The Doctor is making a house call tonight!”
“Paging Dr J!....Dr J to the basket!”
“An apple a day won’t keep THIS Doctor away!”

Aaaah, that’s all I got……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 12, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

"Hoo the hell is Torain and why should we care?"

Amen.

I need my bi-weekly Albert Haynesworth fix right about now.

If not Haynesworth, I need a Marko Mitchell update as it's my understanding the sky has collapsed as a result of his completing passing drills with M Stafford and C Johnson.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 12, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong Greg...love old #6, but if we're talking about GOAT and not greatest winner of all-time, Wilt would get the nod. I mean, Robert Horry has 7 rings but nobody's adding him to the discussion...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 12, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

wow...first of all that is an asinine comparrison....and ALSO an unfair knock on Horry....

Posted by: chrislarry | May 12, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 12, 2010 11:50 AM

Because Horry was cog. Mr. Russell was the hub.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 12, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Wilt had better stats, but Russ...come on...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 11:43 AM

This is where comparing players gets funny. Robert Horry has 6 championship rings with 3 different teams.

Should Rober Horry be in this discussion? I don't think so, but if you're counting championship rings how do you leave him out?

Personally, I think the greatest individual player to ever play the game is Wilt Chamberlain. He set unbreakable records for scoring and rebounds, and even led the league in assists one year. His individual greatness can't be denied.

Wilt never had a real team around him until he joined the Lakers late in his career.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Russell was the best player on the best team of all time.

Nuff said.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 12, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Clyde Drexler was who I rooted for during the MJ Days....Moms use to take me to the Cap Center to see them every year the came for a nice run.....

Sometimes I dream
That he is me
You've got to see that's how I dream to be
I dream I move, I dream I groove
Like Clyde
If I could Glide Like Clyde

(I wanna Glide I wanna Glide I wanna Glide like Clyde)

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 12, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 12, 2010 11:50 AM

Actually, the word is he's excused from their practices this week so he can fine-tune his Hall of Fame induction speech. Doesn't want to taint his flawless reputation with a bad speech...you know how it is...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 12, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

iH8dallas, I read somewhere that Larry Bird started his college career at Indiana U, under Bobby Knight, then dropped out or transferred or something, and wound up at Indiana State.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 12, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

from Jim Haslett, as said to Lindsay Czarniak, repeated by Matt Terl, then posted by Matt Moseley, and regurgitated here by yours truly:

"Just the unknown of where you’re coming from, who’s blitzing, who’s not blitzing," Haslett said of the 3-4. "You can just do so many things out of it that you can’t do out of a four-man line. Now, if you got great four-man line people, then you play that. There’s no reason you can’t go 3-4, 4-3. I’ve played in both, coached in both, been successful in both. I think its just the type of players you have. I think the cornerstone of the team on defense is Brian Orakpo. He had 11 sacks last year, rushed 200 some times. In this defense, we’ll rush 600-700 times."

more relevant to the last thread, but among cows, regurgitation is the polite way to eat...

carry on w/ hoops discussion.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 12, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | May 12, 2010 11:52 AM

Not a comparison...just making the point that the number of rings isn't the determining factor in the GOAT discussion. It helps much more in basketball, but it's not the end all/be all. Russell played with no less than 5 other HoFers...Jordan played with one. Russ was dominant, but I he didn't win titles damn near on his own like MJ did.

And 4th...can't share the Clyde the Glide love. He used to drive me crazy with that ugly jumper...dude kicked himself in his own ass to shoot a 3 for cripes sakes!

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 12, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Very artful, moodly. Pearls before swine.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 12, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

crossing fingers on Torain. Like his size and instincts. Will break tackles, really love that in a RB. Only knock is injuries, that is obvious concern. so can't get to high on this kid, but I just can't help it. Looking for the next great shanny RB. did somebody say MILF?

Posted by: sthai75 | May 12, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 12, 2010 11:57 AM

Russell and the Celts were great - but its hard to compare a team who won every year when there were only EIGHT NBA teams and the league was much weaker overall to MJ dominating the league for SIX straight years over 25-30 other teams when the league was probably at the height of its talent.

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 12, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

@brownwood- I dominate.

Posted by: iH8dallas

OMFG Portly has long been the most overrated back in the NFC. He isn't even a top 15 back! He could not make the probowl, a sham equaling a nonsensical popularity contest, with Wash except by default in '08.

Never led us anywhere except to first round defeat. Averaged 4.089 yds and a dust cloud in DC. How the hell does averaging 4 yds in the NFC make you a top 5 back?

Posted by: iubiquity | May 12, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 12, 2010 12:04 PM

It's not to late to change your position on this. There were only like nine teams in the NBA back then. Every team had multiple HoFs. Wilt played with HoFs in Philly and LA.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 12, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"wow...first of all that is an asinine comparrison....and ALSO an unfair knock on Horry..."

True.

Robert Horry hit more big shots than a campus queen at a Greek rush during his career.

Thus, he earned them rings.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 12, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

They're called "Tea Partiers".

Posted by: RedDMV | May 12, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey Red,

If you can link one news story to a tea party where the "n" word was used and docuymented I'll send a check to the United Negro College Fund.

You are simply proliferating myth.

Somehow because you allign yourself with the Tea Party you must be a biggot.

Just like if you are black and fired from a job it could only be about the color of your skin and it is never the case that your performance was to blame...

It is amazing to me that it is OK to label an entire movement as biggots yet no one can produce one video in this age of the internet.

I suppose that the Democratic party has no biggots in it... only liars...

Posted by: oldnova | May 12, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I hope he succeeds and knocks off LJ and WillieP

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 12, 2010 10:59 AM

I hope he knocks off LJ, WillieP, and Portis. Skins need to get younger in the backfield. RBs are good for four years. This guy has two year left. The meters have expired on the other three.

Lawrence Taylor could have used a goat.

Posted by: dcsween | May 12, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Wilt Chamberlain:

50.4 ponts per game one season.
100 points in one game.
27.2 rebounds per game one season.
55 rebounds in one game.
Led the league in assists (8.6) one season.

Scored 30 points and 32 rebounds in a close game 7 loss to a dominant Celtics team.

Other than the assists, these are records that will likely never be broken.

Recently Rondo had a great game for the Celts: 29 points, 18 rebounds, and 13 assists in a postseason game. Only 2 other players had bigger triple-doubles in tht post-season:

Chamberlain had 29 points, 36 rebounds and 13 assists.

Oscar Robertson had 32 points, 19 rebounds and 13 assists

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I used to love me some Dominique Wilkins.

IMO, he was the greatest one-dimensional player in NBA history...if there can be such a thing.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 12, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldnova | May 12, 2010 12:25 PM

Does this mean it was not a tea partier who shouted the term at Congressman John Lewis on this way into the House chambers to vote on health care reform? [There was also a choice term for Congressman Barney Frank.]

Posted by: dcsween | May 12, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Come on guys, don't F up a good basketball discussion by bringing up politics.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 12, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 12, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"I’ll take Chamberlain over Jordan any day. Conan the destroyer was way better than Space Jam.

Posted by: dlhaze1"

COSIGN! (Although Conan the Barbarian>Conan the Destroyer)

RIP Frank Frazetta....

Posted by: chrislarry | May 12, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Conan, what is best in life?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 12, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Here's a recording ... I hear it at about 0:15 seconds ...

The associated video (sound not as good), looks like this.

Posted by: dcsween | May 12, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I lean toward Russell because despite all the individual stats and accolades, in the end basketball is a team sport.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 12, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I’ll take Chamberlain over Jordan any day.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 12, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Disagree. I think Jordan would have dominated in Wilt's era. Wilt would have been great, but not as dominant if he played when Jordan did.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 12, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah.

Chamberlain is in both the Basketball Hall of Fame & the Volleyball Hall of Fame.

Jordan sucked at baseball.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love this quote. Let the man do what he is best at. I personally don't care what front we run 3-4, 4-3, 3-2-6 Osackpo needs to be rushing everytime. i really don't ever want to see him dropping back in coverage.

Posted by: Stu27 | May 12, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Knight only coached him one day but still claims Bird as the best player he ever coached.

Posted by: Stu27 | May 12, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Conan, what is best in life?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 12, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse
---------------

Umm...to crush your enemies, see them lie before you, and hear the lamentations of the women?

Just guessing...

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | May 12, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

^^I thought it was Isaih (sp?)??

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 12, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"I used to love me some Dominique Wilkins."

If there had been no Jordan, "The Human Highlight Film" would be the gold standard for top notch NBA dunkery.

And whereas I hated MJ during his career, I'll err on the side of those postas who rank him well above Wilt as GOAT.

Jordan starred in the age of the 'super, well-condidtioned, training all year round, athlete' and, with NIKE'S enabling money-grubbing efforts, re-defined the marketing and endorsing of spots' products.

After all, there is a business side to MJ's game that Wilt could never touch.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 12, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 12, 2010 12:43 PM

So is it safe to say Kobe is a greater player for dominating more recent era than Jordan?

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the overall level of athleticism in the league hasn't changed all that much between the Jordan and Kobe era. I think there was a much greater change in the game between Wilt's playing days and Jordan's.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 12, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Here's an amazing way to look at Wilt. Put him on one side and put EVERYONE ELSE THAT EVER PLAYED on the other side

If you take the top 50 scoring games in NBA history, excluding Wilt, and compare them to Wilt's top 50 games ... who scored more points? Basically, its Wilt vs EVERYBODY ELSE who ever played!!!

No one, in any other major sport can claim something comparable. In football, take the best 10 games by a QB, RB or WR -- I wouldn't even know what player to pick. Jerry Rice's 10 best games vs the 10 best games culled from every other WR? As amazing as Rice was, he doesn't come close.

What makes Wilt more amazing is that you can do the same comparison for rebounding. His 50 best rebounding games vs the 50 best rebounding games of every other player in NBA history.

Wilt holds his own when you compare him to EVERYBODY!!!! That's insane.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 12, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Jordan v. Wilt?

Gotta give the nod to MJ.

I'm not saying that there wasn't skill involved in Wilt's game, but the man dominated largely because he was a freakish giant playing against pawn-sized opponents.

MJ's dominance was the product of skill that he developed, honed and reinvented throughout his career - all the while being of average size among his opponents.

Posted by: p1funk | May 12, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Come on guys, don't F up a good basketball discussion by bringing up politics.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 12, 2010 12:33 PM

F basketball ... and the "n" word isn't about politics.

Posted by: dcsween | May 12, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | May 12, 2010 12:48 PM

Close enough.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 12, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

wilts stats posted above, are really unbelievable...I mean, they're hard to comprehend....50 ppg for an entire SEASON, and over 27 rebounds pg...wow...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

In a rare moment of agreement ... yeah, Wilt's numbers are so far out there that they are hard to comprehend. He owns over half the spots for the top 100 scoring games and top 100 rebounding games of ALL TIME. 1 guy!! Really hard to comprehend that sort of dominance.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 12, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 12, 2010 1:07 PM

I'm playing devil's advocate a little bit here, but clearly the league has opened up to international talent on a far greater scale since Jordan retired... one could easily say the talent pool is much deeper.

Yet in this era, Kobe put up 81 points--something Jordan never did.

As the game evolves, it's easy to always say the most current era is more talented than a previous era.

I think dismissing Wilt's collosal achievements based on his era is silly.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

a bunch of articles about how guys that sat out a year due to injury or just suc king are going to be good next year.

Complimented by some articles about how guys that are good who are a burden to the team.

Hogwash, I'd like u to meet horse feathers. Horse feathers, hog wash

Posted by: pabrian2003 | May 12, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Yet in this era, Kobe put up 81 points--something Jordan never did.

I think dismissing Wilt's collosal achievements based on his era is silly.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

League is probably deeper talent wise, but I don't think the talent level of starting 5 is that much greater than it was.

And I don't mean to seem like I'm just writing Wilt off. Just think MJ is the better of the two.

Think about this one, MJ is about the avg. height of centers in the 60's, where as he an avg. sized 2 guard in the 80/90s

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 12, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

You guys whining about LeBron should be forced to live in LA, which features the most Joyless Superstar in basketball. Listening to the monotonous drone of #24, never smiling, never happy, never spreading joy. Guy maies zillions, is adored by millions and acts like some guy reporting to work each day at the sewer.

Yeah he's gifted, incredibly so, but robots have more humanity, personality, and communication skills.

Laker fans are among the worst in sports. Few care. It's about being seen there if the team is winning. It's a town with no passion for sports. If the Lakers disappoint, oh well there's always the beach.

Nobody puts their Lakers flags on their cars until/.unless LA is in the finals. Frontrunners, gravy trainers and bandwagoners. About the only TRUE Laker fan is Jack Nicholson--and that's the truth..

Posted by: TheCork | May 12, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I think dismissing Wilt's collosal achievements based on his era is silly.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the era is the issue as mush as size.

Let's be real - Wilt got tons of those numbers simply by being taller and stronger than his opponents and mopping up missed shots around the rim.

When you consider a guy like Jordan, he was freakishly athletic, but so were a fair number of his opponents - Wilkins and Drexler, for instance. And he was only 6'6''

MJ attacked the basket, stroked 3 pointers, developed the game's best back-to-the-basket fade away jump shot (he could turn in either direction).

It's not like Wilt developed a jump shot and was nailing 25-footers.

Posted by: p1funk | May 12, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Bron could not carry Jordan's jock. When did you ever see Jordan lay an egg in an important playoff game?

The rules are different now than when Jordan played. Defenders were allowed to hand check and and lean on players with their fore arms.

Lebron is moving offensive foul. Lowering your head and running over people is not basketball.

Posted by: srobert1117 | May 12, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 12, 2010 1:45 PM

I've thought about this arguement before when people try to imply Chamberlain's height advantage somehow diminishes his accomplishments.

Magic Johnson was a 6'8" point guard, absolutely towering over every other 1 guard in the league. Does that diminish what he did in the 1980s?

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

correction: 6'9"

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

cork, agreed, Jack roots for them, during good times and bad....had Kobe and Shaq, not had their spat, the Lakers could have been just dominant.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 12, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Why would that diminish what he did when being smaller was advantageous to being a point guard?

If Magic's game was composed solely of backing down smaller guards, then that might hold, but the versatility of his game was astonishing - the complete opposite of being a one-trick pony.

Posted by: p1funk | May 12, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | May 12, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more.

Posted by: p1funk | May 12, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 12, 2010 1:54 PM

Really? So where are the sub 6-foot point guards? Any how can you imply Chamberlain was a 1-trick pony when besides owning the record book on scoring and rebounds, he led the league in assists one season? They didn't keep records of blocked shots back then, but something tells me he'd be the record holder if they did.

The man was absolutely versatile.

But you're entitled to you opinions, wrong thought they might be :-)

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I'd love for this guy to stay healthy.
I watched a couple of those games he played. He was Very exciting to watch.
One of those guys that's hard to catch.

Posted by: COskins | May 12, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | May 12, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

You guys remember the Pistons mauling Jordan in the playoffs and getting away with it?

It's ridiculous what they let go in those days.

Jordan still dropped buckets on them.

LeBron wouldn't have lasted 1 quarter before the tears would have started rolling down freely.

Posted by: p1funk | May 12, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Yea, but Magic wasn't the tallest guy on the court like Wilt was.

Plus, no rule that says only PGs can guard PGs. I've seen forwards match up with Magic defensively.

I think Magic's most impressive accomplishment was starting all 5 positions in an NBA finals.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 12, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 12, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

The man was absolutely versatile.

But you're entitled to you opinions, wrong thought they might be :-)

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I never said that Wilt was a one-trick pony.

I said that Magic was NOT a one-trick pony.

If you implied something by that, it's on you...

My overall point is that Wilt's dominance was largely the product of his freakish size. I don't know why anyone would think that's a terribly controversial or debatable observation.

Posted by: p1funk | May 12, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 12, 2010 2:06 PM

So who guards the Lakers' forward when the opponent's forward moves over to guard Magic? A small point guard, that's who. Assist to Magic.

Magic's height was an advantage, there's no shame in saying so.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 12, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Thy're gonna run out of parking spaces at Redskins park

Posted by: whelms1 | May 12, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

About Torain: he was a workhorse back at ASU in '05 til he went down with in game 7 with a foot injury. Then he went to Denver in the 5th round and starred in camp til going down in August (August!) with an elbow fracture. He had one start in November '08 and went down in the second quarter with a bad ACL tear.

I don't think anyone questions his talent as a runner and receiver. It's the rest of it that should temper expectations.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 12, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

wilt chamberlain from phila. did have a great team around him..the 1966-1967 championship team before he went to L.A. chamberlain still holds more nba records than any player including jordan and held a big advantage over b. russell when playing face to face.

Posted by: wathu19 | May 12, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

10. Jean(True Religion,VERSACE,coogi) $30
11. Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $16
12. New era cap $15
13. FREE sHIPPING
14.http://www.smalltrade.net

Posted by: itkonlyyou56 | May 12, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Not a tea partier, but I do hate whining n'as, and whites that are h8'ers, Im white so I must necesarrily be a racist

Posted by: 1bmffwb | May 15, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Dang, I wasn't aware of this guy. He trained hard, has a lot of potential, young, good size, determined. Sounds awesome!! Can't wait to see what he can do!!

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | May 15, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Trung Canidate is only 33 years old. I'm not saying the Redskins should sign him, but I'm not saying they shouldn't. I'm just saying.

Posted by: warren85 | May 15, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse