RB Ryan Torain appears to be atop the depth chart

Ryan Torain, Washington Redskins starting running back?

With Clinton Portis expected to sit out against the Green Bay Packers because of a groin injury, it appears Washington will turn to the talented but injury-prone young back Sunday at FedEx Field.

Torain, 24, has made only one career start (in 2008) and was on the Redskins' practice squad the first two weeks of the season. But things happen quickly in the NFL, and Torain said he's ready to shoulder more responsibility.

"Ah, man, it's out of control," Torain said Monday about his rapid ascent. "It's a roller coaster. But at the end of the day, I just knew that hard work was going to pay off. And I just kept pushing through everything. Through minicamps, through training camps, to practice squad and, you know, to get ready for the coach to ask me to come up there to help. So, I'm excited."

Torain has made a favorable impression in only two weeks on Washington's 53-man roster. Activated before the Week 3 loss to the St. Louis Rams, Torain gained 46 yards on only seven rushes (a 6.6-yard average). He had a long gain of 36 yards.

Then he made a powerful statement in Sunday's 17-12 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field.

Although Portis started, Torain was actively involved in the game plan from the outset. He scored Washington's first touchdown on a 12-yard run through the middle in which he encountered Eagles strong safety Quintin Mikell at about the 7-yard line and ran him over en route to the end zone.

"That definitely made a statement to everyone," outside linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said. "When a guy makes a play like that, believe me, everyone notices."

Portis left the game for good early in the fourth quarter and the Redskins leaned on Torain in an effort to run down the clock. On the Redskins' final possession, Torain gained 30 yards on seven rushes. The Redskins ran their first play from scrimmage with 4 minutes 4 seconds remaining on the game clock. The Eagles' took possession with 1 minute 7 seconds to play.

The second-year player finished with a game-high 70 yards and averaged 3.9 yards per rush. In two games, Torain has 116 yards on 25 rushes with one touchdown.

During the preseason, Torain was behind Pro Bowlers Portis, Larry Johnson and Willie Parker and undrafted rookie free agent Keiland Williams. Parker failed to make the team out of the preseason, Johnson was released after only two games and five rushes, and Williams, who committed a key special teams blunder against the Rams, was released before the Eagles game (He is expected to rejoin the team on the practice squad).

Now it appears Torain is atop the depth chart.

"I prepared every day, every week I was on practice squad, like I was gonna be in the game," he said. "I'd take all my [playbook] tests. I just stayed with the coaches and kept studying. Watch film, take all the advice you get, and just be ready."

Torain has also worked hard to overcome injuries.

When Shanahan ran the Denver Broncos' football operation, he selected Torain in the fifth round (148th overall) of the 2008 draft. Shanahan had a knack for finding backs who thrived in the zone running game he implemented, and he saw a lot to like in the former Arizona State standout.

But Torain had a hard time staying on the field. Because of a fractured toe, he missed the final seven games of his senior season with the Sun Devils. And after only two games in his rookie season with the Broncos, Torain suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament and was placed on season-ending injured reserve.

On Aug. 15, 2009, the Broncos waived Torain, who rehabbed hard last season. Shanahan brought Torain to Washington, signing him on April 19. Torain was placed on the practice squad to start this season because "sometimes you have to have a plan on what guys you think maybe will get picked up or not get picked up," Shanahan explained the other day. "With his injuries, and him being released [previously], we felt that it would be a better chance to let him go on the practice squad. We knew we would bring him up. We would have been heartbroken if someone would have taken him at that time. Percentage-wise, we thought that was the best decision to make at that time. Thankfully, things turned out the way that they did."

The Redskins could attempt to bring back Johnson or Parker, who have not signed with other teams since being released, or another out-of-work back. Regardless of the team's approach, though, Torain said he plans to lean on Portis for advice and to continue to be ready for whatever is asked of him.

"I feel like he's a great veteran," Torain said of Portis. "I like being able to take little aspects of his game and put it in mine. And just enjoy it. I'm learning a lot from him, so I like being around him."

Of course, Torain wants Portis's job long term, which is understood, he said. "It's a business sport," Torain said. "And when the coach asks us to help, everybody's got to play the role."

By Jason Reid  | October 5, 2010; 12:41 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis, Running backs, Ryan Torain  | Tags:  Clinton Portis, Ryan Torain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton Portis says he's unlikely to play Sunday
Next: McNabb on second-half struggles: 'I take full responsibility'

Comments

Torain atop the Redskins depth chart and beep-beep atop the new thread. All's well in the heavens.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Either say whats going on with him, play him, or release him. They're not getting any draft picks for a dude they're letting rot away on the bench.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2010 12:41 PM |

First rule of coach's media-speak - don't badmouth any player, although MS has kind of danced close to the edge on this with AH.

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

REPOST FOR REDDMV

Keim's thoughts on news of DT on the trading block:

This is not a surprise: The National Football Post reported that the Redskins have continued to shop Thomas.

But, really, this isn't new. The Redskins were shopping Thomas before the final cuts; they haven't exactly warmed up to him so it makes sense that they're still looking to trade him. Also, they keep talking about how much progress he's making at receiver yet he never plays? Can you say sell job?

Teams figured he would be released in the final cuts so why give up anything for him? Thomas' athleticism is intriguing, but his reputation around the league is that he would take a long time to pick up any offense. That was also the concern coming out of college after he really only had one good season (albeit a very good one). It hasn't changed.

It's doubtful Thomas could go anywhere and help a team's passing game this season. He might make a couple plays, but not enough to make a difference. He's a good returner, but not a great one and hasn't changed any games.

In the past Thomas' supporters could blame his issues on the coach, quarterback or scheme. All those are gone now. And this isn't personal with Mike Shanahan; he just doesn't like him as a player. In the spring, he was asked a somewhat easy question about Thomas and what he thought about him coming out of college. The way he answered the question, talking more about Thomas being unable to do much in the spring, and his body language revealed all anyone really needed to know. Also know that in talking to one Redskin in February, he worried that neither Thomas nor Malcolm Kelly would ever "get it" in terms of how they needed to train to be good pro's. They can still grow into that role, but that was this player's concern.

It should also be clear to Thomas that his situation won't change unless there are a few injuries to others. He would be best served going elsewhere and perhaps hooking on with a team that liked him enough coming out of Michigan State. That way he'll finally get some chances. Publicly, Thomas has handled his situation well. He plays hard -- he had two excellent blocks on punt returns yesterday -- and doesn't pout. He deserves credit for this. But what he wants is a chance; to get one, he'll likely have to leave.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Pervert!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 12:15 PM

Yep...working on my costume now...can you help me with the sign that says I'm not accepting any ugly nasty fat or old chicks...errrr...I mean patients?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 5, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I just tell the 'good-looking challenged' people that God only takes the pretty chicks early, that they will live long, healthy, ugly lives! Women are dumb!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Dont know how i havent seen this before....

ST21 montage

Posted by: Zeebs1 | October 5, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | October 5, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Good job dude. Having the likes of geezers like CP and LJ at the top of the depth chart probably didn't hurt none too much either.

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Would really like to hear the "tell all" story on Devin Thomas once he's traded or released. Not buying the one documented occurrence of his falling to sleep in a team meeting as a reason he can't get on the field.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I think Chris Russell(sp?) from 980 said he and Thomas had talk about everything that's going on, but couldn't put it out repeat it on air.

I think it's 3 major things keeping him from more playing time.
-Not consistent in practice
-Don't like his attitude/not always a professional
-just not that good at football.

Do I have documentation no, but this is what I've heard repeated several times(radio and paper)

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 12:48 PM |

Two of the most loathsome pests on RI: peep-peep and brownjuice. Everytime you look up one or both of these peckers is posting some drivel.

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Someone check Reid's trousers for a wet spot... lmao

And:
DRano, srry - was away...woik...

Joe initially catagorized it that way, but from the other angle the hold was egregious.

VelosORAKPO is right - our guys are getting straight mugged. NFL officiating is becoming like the NBA (gag). You have to be a star to get the call. We should be getting 5 to 10 more holding calls a game, really.

The statistics lie in that way. You can't beat Zebras.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I threw Steve Slaton out there because he has become the Texans version of DT.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

The bloggas would kill this dude. He's a RB with the hands of Carlos Rogers.

Posted by: dcwun | October 5, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

WTF
97 805 8.3 46 5 rec yds avg lng tds.

These are Steve Slatons RECEPTION #s. Yeah he is a RB w 1800 yds and 12 TDs in his career on the ground. How are these reception #s bad for a 3rd year RB. Carlos Rogers hands WTF are you talkin bout.

Also consider those numbers when your talking bout how it would be a straight up trade DT for Slaton good luck. We had our chance to draft Steve, we didnt we literally took MK DT and FD instead, Slaton was 3rd round that year.

Hands like Carlos...ARGHHH.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 5, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"psps, were you up here comparing Roddy White and Devin Thomas or otherwise advancing the notion through an article that DT develop like Roddy White?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 5, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse"

I certainly was, and I hope he does. But I don't think he should be given anything.

Two things I noticed with regards to the last game: two guys noted in recent years for dogging it with regards to their talent, Albert Haynesworth and Clinton Portis, played like they had a fire lit under their @ss.

Did Shanahan's actions thus far in the season motivate them? I'd say it did. Shanahan pulled Portis for Torain against STL, and to use Shanahan's words, Portis came out "with a vengeance" against Philly. We shouldn't need to rehash AH's saga, but he came out playing harder than I can ever remember in a Redskins uniform.

My hope is Thomas gets the same attitude instilled in him. Thus far his words to the media seem to indicate that. Hopefully it translates into practice which will translate onto the field.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

psps, were you up here comparing Roddy White and Devin Thomas or otherwise advancing the notion through an article that DT could develop like Roddy White?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 5, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Torain still runs a little to high for me, but the dude has some burst in the hole, as well as the POPS he was giving those LBs, S, and Corners of the Eagles.

I'm thinking the problem with the running game was the OLine and now it is fixed. With Brown getting healthier and Silverback getting better, and everyone learning to play together and build chemistry, this'll be one bad unit in a couple more weeks.

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, y'all.

I never thought it was simply that he just couldn't play. I always thought he could act a little more professional though. Heard one of the first trips he made when he touched down was to Love Nightclub in D.C.

I think someday the light will go on for dude, but he does turn 24 this year... maybe it never will... looks like DThomas is a lost cause.

WHY CAN'T ANY RECEIVER THEY DRAFT EVER PAN OUT!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Guess, I'll be sending "I'm sorry" and "get well soon" cards to Malcolm Kelly here in a bit (4thFloor, can you hook me up with his contact info?)...

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 1:05 PM

That's what I thought. Have you had a change of heart?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 5, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"this'll be one bad unit in a couple more weeks."

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 1:05 PM

"Bad" means "Good"...right monk?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 5, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

And you're giving Shanny credit for Haynesworth? Albert was offered $100M deals by no less than two football teams. I think he could already play at a high level before Shanny's Little General routine. He should have been playing all along and the switch to 3-4 was ill-conceived to begin with.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 5, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

VelosORAKPO

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 1:01 PM

Love it! We've got VelosOrakpo on defense and the Torainasaurus on O.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 5, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

And they never will if they keep around underachieving, high round picks in their places either...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

so you can't name any so you're gonna co-out. i never said Shanny didn't know about offense or RBs, but he had issues with B. Marshall before he was Fired in Den. I dunno if he has problems dealing with some oung WRs, but my question was intended for you to answer it with any All pro WRs shanny coached up, not for some snotty run on open ended crock of BS.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2010 12:46 PM
-----------------------------------------
I didn't catch this complete string but I want to weigh in. If you are questioning Shanahan's ability to coach or develop receivers, I would say he's done enough to prove he knows a good receiver from bad. He drafted Rod Smith. He picked up perennial vagabond McCaffrey and made him into a starter. He coached Jerry Rice and John Taylor when in San Francisco. Good or bad, he has coached receivers like Javon Walker, Eddie Royal and Brandon Marshall. I think he knows talent at the receiver position. I can't readily recall Shanahan ever releasing a receiver that went on to great things, so I think he knows a lemon for what it is. So, if Shanahan thinks DT is not worth keeping around, I'm going with the assumption that he knows what he is talking about.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

WHY CAN'T ANY RECEIVER THEY DRAFT EVER PAN OUT!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Uh, duh! A little hint, look at my User ID!!!
Also Gary Clark was drafted in the supplimental draft.
I understand what you're saying though, it's been like 25 years since we've drafted a decent receiver, kinda sick of it myself!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | October 5, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

He has less than 20 attempts this year, and he'll have even fewer in the future when Ben Tate gets healthy.

True Slaton has the better career numbers. But he and Thomas basically have the same roles and neither looks to have much of a future with their current team.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Who said AH couldn't play? I said AH was motivated on Sunday, in large part because he knew if he didn't give 100% effort when he was in the game, he would be sitting on the bench.

It doesn't matter how much money you make, that's a simple rule anybody can understand. It seems like it got through to AH last week.

It certainly got through to Portis.

And the Roddy White comparison was a parallel career path up to the breaking point where White said he "grew up." My view is that Thomas still has the opportunity to take that path. It's up to him to do it, and it's certainly not a given.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Hands like Carlos...ARGHHH.

Posted by: Stu27

Do you know why he was benched in Houston. Because he fumbles way too much! That's what I was referring to is his ability to hold on to the ball.

That's a fact....

Posted by: dcwun | October 5, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"this'll be one bad unit in a couple more weeks."

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 1:05 PM

"Bad" means "Good"...right monk?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 5, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Yes, they are playing together now and will be a really GOOD unit pretty soon.
Anything else I need to totally spell out for you? What, are you still sick? The Nyquil making you light-headed?
Stop thinking about gynecology and get to work!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 12:48 PM |

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 12:59 PM
------------------------------------------
As opposed to your awe-inspiring words of wisdom. We hang on every tick of the clock hand in anticipation of your next poetic string of heart wrenching prose.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

FreakZILLA, you'se some kinda Komodo Dragon, aren't 'cha?

Hey - mixes well with the Dinosaurs we got playin' hehehe.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Amazing. Not one mention of the Big Uglies in this paeon to RBs.

No back can run without blocking. The key to Torrain's development,l and Portis' "surprising" improvement is the improved play of the Redskins O-Line.

Posted by: TheCork | October 5, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

So the running back you want to trade for has twice the reception numbers as the Wide Receiver that you want to trade for him???

That's a fact....

Posted by: dcwun | October 5, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Did you bring up fumbles before? NO. You said he has hands like Carols Rogers when cathing the ball. His 800+ reception yards says he can catch.

Fumbles were the primary reason he got benched, he also had a wrist injury and off season neck sugery before getting turf toe in preseason.

Just saying know all the facts first...

Posted by: Stu27 | October 5, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

rachel216

"It's Torain's chance to shine."

It sure is time for Torain to shine.

But his upright running style means he'll take a lot of hits.

And, so, who jumps in the event of injury or need for rest?

Do we want to trust the likes of KWilliams and the Simpson kid?

Listen: I'm all for finding diamonds in the rough.

But I like to collect them knowing I got a goldmine to fall back on.

If we are going to move DT, it must be for some team's above average, but rarely used back.

And the thing about it, the best choice in my mind would be someone like Felix Jones or Tashard Choice (that won't happen).

I also wonder what it would take to pry Ricky Williams away from the dolphins (that's not gonna happen).

M Lynch for DT?: the Bills wants picks, not the one from the litter that's been picked over.

So, in the end, maybe we need to go back to a guy we let go of last year:

Ladell Betts.

Go get that guy to sub in for Portis.

He's done it before.

Let's get him to see if he's capable of doing it again.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

good lawd, preach it cork.

This is my point all along. CPo is fine. Torain is good. The line figured out their scheme...

Enough of the bs. Let's win some games & start talkin' stragety - Green Bay. What's our plan?

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Who is going to be the back up this week? Promote K Williams? Drop who?

Posted by: ash10 | October 5, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 1:18 PM

As for White, I'm surprised. I distinctly recall you hammering dudes up here for making the comparison.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 5, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

WHY CAN'T ANY RECEIVER THEY DRAFT EVER PAN OUT!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Uh, duh! A little hint, look at my User ID!!!
Also Gary Clark was drafted in the supplimental draft.

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 1:14 PM
------------------------------------------
And where did your namesake go to school?

And where did the starting quarterback go to school?

And where did Quinn Ojinnaka go to school? Sign him.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Yes, they are playing together now and will be a really GOOD unit pretty soon.
Stop thinking about gynecology and get to work!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 1:20 PM

Haha...all better now...peeps just all in my grill today at the office!

And only clarifying the bad/good thing...not sure what the kids are saying nowadays.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 5, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

enough with the DT11/Roddy White comparisons....straight tart

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

moe betts is on the Saints team...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

rachel216

"It's Torain's chance to shine."

It sure is time for Torain to shine.

But his upright running style means he'll take a lot of hits.

And, so, who jumps in the event of injury or need for rest?

Do we want to trust the likes of KWilliams and the Simpson kid?

Listen: I'm all for finding diamonds in the rough.

But I like to collect them knowing I got a goldmine to fall back on.

So, in the end, maybe we need to go back to a guy we let go of last year:

Ladell Betts.

Go get that guy to sub in for Portis.

He's done it before.

Let's get him to see if he's capable of doing it again.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the Saint's resign Betts when Bush went down?

Posted by: ash10 | October 5, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Ladell Betts.

Go get that guy to sub in for Portis.

He's done it before.

Let's get him to see if he's capable of doing it again.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 1:25 PM
------------------------------------------
Betts is currently with the Saints. He ran for 47 yards and caught 4 passes for 23 yards in their game against the Panthers.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Do we bring back LJ?

Posted by: ash10 | October 5, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Can we sign TJ Duckett to keep the iggles from signing him?

Posted by: ash10 | October 5, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Do we bring back LJ?

Posted by: ash10 | October 5, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

If you slam your hand in a car door, do you say, "hey, that felt good!", and suddenly do it again?

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

This deal with DT is obviously his lack of mental/physical effort/ability. Personally if your going to keep him on the team, split him out, run him on a go pattern as a decoy and give your "real" receivers a blow. Here's a play for DT: "go over there, when we hike the ball, run down there and I'll throw you the ball."

Posted by: MTalleyMon | October 5, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MTalleyMon | October 5, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

beantown

"...betts is on the Saints team..."

Yes, I know Betts is with the saints.

(I'm trying to figure out how the saints have taken our castaways--Daniels, Torrence, Betts, Grilliams, Porileau and made playas out of them when we couldn't.)

But in my mind, he should not have been released in the first place.

You know that with Bush and Thomas' injury, Betts ain't going nowhere.

But still......

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

There's some good things that appear to be atop of my dump chart.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 5, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 1:42 PM

Other than Grilliams -- who has been cast off by more teams than Marcus Mason -- can you tell me how these other four are "playas." Maybe I just don't understand what the term "playa" means. Do you use it in the pimp sense?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I'd say why, but I can't remember what I wanted to say.

Posted by: MistaMoe

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky

Posted by: ElYeah | October 5, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Sellers in as backup... we mostly run a single back formation anyway

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"My point about Haynesworth is that he was paid so much money because he had already shown he could be a disruptive force before said "motivation." He didn't need motivation. He needed to play. Period. End of story.

Posted by: learnedhand1"

LH, are you seriously trying to say Haynesworth didn't need motivation to become the disruptive force that got him $100 million offers? Honestly? His motivation is in the question. Dude was trying to get paid. He was a disappointment before the allure of contract years, and he was disappointing last year following his contract acceptance.

Haynesworth has shown himself to be about as far as you can get from a self-motivated player.

As for Roddy White/DT11, I was unaware of Roddy White's personal issues with the Falcons' coaching staff. I did not (and still do not) like the argument that it takes receivers 3 years to develop. People were arguing that you can't judge Thomas until year 3, which I find 100% wrong even to this day. People refused to admit that Thomas was disappointing in year 1, disappointing in year 2, and well on his way to becoming a bust. That was and still is true.

However, according to that article White followed the same career path, but unlike most WRs who struggle in their first two years, White 'changed' before year 3. He didn't just magically blossom into a stud WR like it was destined. It took major changes from his own professionalism, his coaching staff, and mentors to bring him around.

That leaves me with hope for DT11, but it's still far from likely to happen. I'm didn't say DT11 is going to end up like Roddy White, I said he has the chance to do it - albeit a longshot.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

This could be GREAT news. So far he looks good running the ball and he could do wonders for my fantasy team!

Posted by: corky1031 | October 5, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

t. owens had 10 catches for 220yds t.j. houzmazadeh caught the game winning touchdown this week these are 2 wr's washington could have bought in but shanahan only brings his "friends and relatives(haslett,k. shananhan,galloway, r.williams etc.) and refuses to let d. thomas play one snap on offense DUMB" not interested about who he had in s.f. or denver shanahan refuses to upgrade wr position he is too busy trying to be a king" instead of coach. another dumb trade was tryon to colts and keeping buchannon who is finished. torain should get more time playing but portis is still needed as a blocker, runner.

Posted by: wathu19 | October 5, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

The offense is not the same without Portis. In the last two weeks with Portis out of the game, the passing game ceased like a engine with no oil. Torain doesn't provide the necessary pass protection so teams will stick eight in the box to stop both the run and the pass. Hopefully, Torain will break a tackle and give us some big runs or McNabb will be running for his life.

Posted by: bangkokben | October 5, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

THIS IS NO SURPRISE. SHANNY HAS DONE THIS A MILLION TIMES. TAKEN AN UNKNOWN AND MADE THEM PRODUCTIVE. THATS WHY IT WAS FUNNY EARLIER THIS YEAR WHEN J REID KEPT SAYING PORTIS IS UNQUESTIONABLY THE #1 BACK. THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED EVEN IF PORTIS DIDNT HURT IS GROIN

Posted by: slim4 | October 5, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

ST21 montage

Posted by: Zeebs1

I missed that dued like a fat kid miss cake.

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 5, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

ST21 montage

Posted by: Zeebs1

I missed that dude like a fat kid miss cake.

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 5, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Clayton that was cut from Tampa before the regular season? I am suprised we haven't taken a look at him at WR.

Posted by: ash10 | October 5, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

There's some good things that appear to be atop of my dump chart.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 5, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey Poop, what's your favorite food, corn?

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bangkokben | October 5, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Torrain's okay -- but he won't be able to do it all himself -- especially with CP26 out for at least this week, and maybe longer.

Who else?

Posted by: Vic1 | October 5, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Mason for Peterson, and Tomlinson....make it happen

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Who else?

Posted by: Vic1 | October 5, 2010 2:11 PM

They signed Chad Simpson a few weeks ago. Maybe he's ready. And either they'll bring Williams back or they'll look at street free agents. First, though, they need to assess CP's status and prognosis.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I've heard that DT11 can't read and doesn't remember the playbook or run his routes correctly so he doesn't play on sunday now that we have a professional coaching staff. Now all that being said, I still don't see how he could be much of a step down from what we have (basically one wideout, Moss) so whyn not just have him run 1 or 2 simple routes (deep) to be a decoy if nothing else....but what do us fans know?

Posted by: gr8fullted | October 5, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Who else?

Posted by: Vic1 | October 5, 2010 2:11 PM |

Hey - if Washington can bail out banks why can't Banks bail out Washington?

Posted by: ElDrano | October 5, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"Do you use it in the pimp sense?"

Why not?

Maybe this little guide will help:

Moe's Urban Dictionary: ESOL Edition

Bloggabonics: the daily use of ungrammatical English in a blog

Lil: not enuf

Moe: too much

Sheeeet:

a. sh!t

b. I don't believe you

c. of course

d. (with a dap pound) "Of course, she did, and swallowed, too!!!!

e. (with a wink) "Yeah, she did it to me and my homeboy!!"

"Star Pride": a substance spread by Cowboys' fans on their rectums before they disappear after a team loss

AH: always hatin'

MK12: a young millionaire living off potential and medial reports

Poop: an entertaining subject that dominates the blog at night

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda: three helping words that are used to suggest the obvious

FIRST: an expression used by bloggas not interested in being the BEST

Which I am not.

Not that I won't ever be.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Since I don't know how to search comments, can someone tell me who came up with the nickname ATV (All Torain Vehicle)? I'd like to give credit where it's due as I spread it's awesomeness to all my friends and family...

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 5, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Torain may not be THE answer, but you have to give the guy props - he's been dumped several times and hasn't whined. He keeps coming back for more. And when he is in the game, he makes plays.

The Eagles game failures for him weren't really his fault - the Skins kept going to the left on running plays and even the Eagles wised up. I kept thinking that a reverse using Brandon Banks in the second half off that play would have really earned big yards - I know there was a reverse earlier in the game, but it was too early.

I'm not so sure that Torain is injury prone or just had one of those stretches in his life where he had a string of injuries. Perhaps now he's matured physically and in a program with better workout routines that he'll do better and last longer.

I also hope that he continues to knock over defensive players because we need to pay back the Giants for leveling our defensive player with their dumpy back.

HTTR - We ain't perfect, but neither is this season in the NFL. If we just play within our own reality, we might just make the Super Bowl our reality and do it dancing on that f-ing Star.

Posted by: laserwizard | October 5, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Chad Simpson is the number 2? That's the better question.

Other than Torain's jersey number, I like him. 46 sucks

Posted by: MadeRED | October 5, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

When i first saw him play I thought, "hey, I guess they didn't retire Ledell's jersey. The second thing i thought is, He can play!"

Posted by: nativedc | October 5, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Can't we use Banks the way Pats use that little white kid?

Posted by: ElYeah | October 5, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Zeebs1: Thanks for the ST21 tribute...be sure to thank who made that...I'm here at at work in tears....couldn't find an email address on the website..

Missing #21....

Walfunk

Posted by: damn1 | October 5, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Missing #21....

Walfunk

Posted by: damn1 | October 5, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Missing #21....

Walfunk

Posted by: damn1 | October 5, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

It's ALL about the offensive line. past-present-and future. The Skins are thin at that position, the QB position and the running back position. Mr. Torain can't take the NFL season long pounding. Clinton has and now need other tough and good backs for the long haul-thats why Larry Johnson should be a Redskin. That have good enough NFC playoff players-cept the toughness. Sellers you fail, Fletcher you fail, Doughty you fail, and one more offensive star that isn't a actual Redskin for the first down or the NFL drive continuing 4th quarter toughness. He should of been cut last season with the other 3. That's why above the neck subbordinance to sorry divison and perceived quality foes.

Posted by: CTaylor42 | October 5, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Good attitude and he can speak the English language. See ya Portis!

Posted by: DCFanatic | October 5, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Boy, good thing they didn't keep Betts, huh?

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 5, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Who's 2nd on the depth chart? Ladell Betts? Rock Cartwright? What's Riggins doing on Sunday? Or they could put some extra pads and platform shoes on Brandon Banks.

Posted by: rsgwynn1 | October 5, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rsgwynn1 | October 5, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 5, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I think several people came up with it independently. I actually spent much of the game Sunday talking to people about potential Torain nicknames. There are so many options.

The Toraintial downpour?
Ride the Torain, choo choo?
The Toraintula?
Torain's syndrome @#$% $^#^@@^!?
Torain on your parade?
Steve Martin in "The Man with Torains"?

Maybe not that last one but you get the point. Berman is going to have fun with this one. Did anybody watch countdown and catch what nickname Berman went with? I assume it was Torain kept a rollin.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | October 5, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CTaylor42 | October 5, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

What? Can anybody make sense of what this is saying? I have read it three times but it doesn't seem to be in English. Are you from Dallas?

Posted by: bosshog7169 | October 5, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse