Ryan Torain tops 100 yards again

Clinton Portis last had back-to-back 100-yard rushing games in October 2008. Ryan Torain managed the feat in his second and third career starts. Starting in place of an injured Portis, Torain finished with 125 yards on 21 carries in the Redskins' 17-14 win over the Bears.

"The running game just comes in with the gameplan," Torain said. "Definitely have to be able to run the ball. Helps us open up the pass. Just keep working hard and giving them positive runs."

Torain looked better than he did a week ago and seemed more aware of the holes in front of him. The second-year running back had five runs of 10 or more yards

"Ryan has continued to get better and better each week," said quarterback Donovan McNabb. "And I think the confidence for Ryan has continued to grow - just kind of seeing the holes and watching things develop and doing just a great job of picking up big yards for what we need."

There was a downside, however.

Torain fumbled the ball twice in the fourth quarter, only one of which was recovered by the Redskins. Shanahan noted in his post-game news conference that Torain "got a little tired at the end." His upright running style also seems to provide a large target for defenders.

Torain did have plenty of work in the final quarter. He opened the game strong with 31 yards on six carries in the first quarter. But in the second, he had only one yard on four carries, and in the third, he only touched the ball once. In the fourth quarter, however, Torain had 90 yards on 10 carries, including runs of 9, 22, 23 and 27 yards.

"The O-line, fullbacks, receivers, we're all playing as one," Torain said. "The offense is working well."

Not exactly. It was still an inconsistent performance for the Washington offense, a fact not lost on any coaches or players. But Torain was a bright spot, even with the pair of fumbles.

"Offensively, in our passing game we were missing," Shanahan said, "but I was happy with the way we ran the ball against a team that was giving up only 3.5 yards per rushing play."

By Rick Maese  | October 24, 2010; 8:15 PM ET
Categories:  Ryan Torain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brian Orakpo: Two sacks, two penalties
Next: Rocky McIntosh back in comfort zone

Comments

Let's Give Out Game Balls:

Ryan Torain

Albert Haynesworth

Chris Cooley

Rocky McIntosh

I'd give these four players game balls, but DeAngelo Hall somehow took them before I had a say.

Seems like he's been at that all day long.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 24, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

With Torain as our FIRST back and Williams as our second, who are we gonna pick up as our third? Is Westbrook still available?

Posted by: HTTR | October 24, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

"Torain fumbled the ball twice in the fourth quarter, only one of which was recovered by the Redskins."

Can a player be blamed for a turnover when a guy rushes up from behind, and pokes the ball out from under rather than trying to tackle him?

I think not.

Torain had a fine day rushing against one of the better run defenses in the league, plain and simple.

Let's not sully the kid's great effort.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 24, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Well said, Moe. For once, I was glad to see MeAngelo live up to his name.

Posted by: HTTR | October 24, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Enjoyed the win, but I wish this team could blow someone out occasionally. These nail biter endings are getting to me. What is impressive is how tough this team is mentally to stay in these games and create opportunities.

Oh, and somewhere Vinny Cerrato is laying low after the Redskins today confirmed that a trade for Cutler would have been a stupid move. The Redskins got McNabb, a better quarterback for less than what the Bronco's were asking for Cutler. Kepp on laying low, Vinny.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 24, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Torain had a great day running, the only complaint I had was when we had that 3rd and 1 and there was enough of a lane right in front of him to get the yardage and he sort of danced to his left and it was for no gain or a slight loss.

Then again nobody's perfect, I'm sure he'll see that on film and learn to read some of the lanes and blocks better as he continues to play. And he needs to wrap that ball up with both hands/arms when he gets in heavy traffic.

Posted by: 72Redskins | October 24, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, incldue me for one of theose who think Shanny and Fat All need to kiss and make up.

The team needs playmakers and he seems to be getting better every week. Saying this, he still needs to come into camp in shape. We're about to enter the mid-season after all.

The Redskins o-line still needs work, but the only starter now back from last year is Raymer. McNabb CANNOT keep getting hit like that and survive the season.

They beat the Lions they are 5-3. A lot of people didn't think they would put themselves in a place to be that right now. I appreciate the effort these guys are giving.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 24, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz

Shamu made a huge play, even if Chi blew the challenge. Albert's played well, that's enough for me

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 24, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Ugly win=win. Check.
Eagles lost to Tennessee. Check.
Now if only there was a way for both the Giants and Girls to lose tomorrow....

Posted by: HokiesSkins | October 24, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Confirmed what I said last week! Fumbles, fumbles. Torain is too upright when running and keeps missing holes because he's too impatient!!! Plus on 3rd down and short again, he tip toes to the line and gets nowhere! 100 yards not that big a deal on that D line and as much as they were blitzing, come on. Good game but I'd like to see us keep shopping.

Posted by: kevinlc555 | October 24, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Just finished watching the game don't ask went all day without hearing anything.

Not the greatest performance but a win is a win this team is tough and they play hard, thank the defense for this win.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 24, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

kevinlc,

The Bears have only given up one other 100 yard rushing game, so I don't know why you think there d_line is not any good.

The guy has started 3 games and has 2 100 yard games your right he sucks lets cut him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 24, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

tweeting confusion Beeps!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 24, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Enjoyed the win, but I wish this team could blow someone out occasionally.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 24, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

AMEN times infinity! Just one blowout here and there would be fine. I can't believe teams like the Browns and Raiders are getting them but we need to change our pacemaker batteries every Sunday. Still, it's a great feeling to get the "W"!

Dilemma tomorrow night. Do we (A) instinctually root against the Cryboys and for the Vagiants to the ever evolving demise of Dallass or (B) against the Ginas for a share of 1st place in the Beast? The thought of pulling for Dallas makes me throw up in my mouth but I would like to keep up with the division leader.

Ugh. Is this a win/win or lose/lose?

Posted by: HTTR | October 24, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HTTR | October 24, 2010 9:49 PM

Yeah, that's tough. I'm rooting for the Cowgirls so we can keep up with the Giants.

Posted by: bgmathis | October 24, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

"Now if only there was a way for both the Giants and Girls to lose tomorrow...."
Posted by: HokiesSkins

say like a cholera outbreak at Jonestown Stadium?

Posted by: mdrockjock | October 25, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I love the how hard Torrain runs and always breaks for the first tackle, but he's got to get better at protecting the ball. Both of his fumbles were on plays where he was going down and should have had the ball in close to his body, so it didn't get punched out. Also, he needs to learn how to carry the ball with his left hand when rushing to the left side. Right now he's strictly a "right handed" running back who gets most of his yards on sweeps to the right side. Teams are going to see that on film and the Redskins will have to change things up to be effective running the ball.

Longer term the Skins need some type of change of pace back with speed and who can catch the ball out of the backfield. Portis may be on the downside of his career, but he still is effective catching balls out of the backfield and in pass protection. The Redskins will need him healthy for the second half of the season to lighten Torrain's load.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 25, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

*claps for the ATV*

I give Torain and the O-Line a lot of credit for their performance, the Bears defense was serious and yet were still gashed for big gains on the ground. That's progress. On a day when McNabb played like crap on the road, the Skins walked away with a W. That's good enough for me.

Now hold on to that pigskin, young fella...

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 25, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Have any of you ever even played football? To think that a guy can protect the ball every play doesn't happen. Sometimes the defense just makes a great play. I was a running back in both highschool and college and you can't always protect it. ever taken a helmet to the forearm that instantly makes your arm go limp? Nothing you can do to prevent that, it's an involuntary muscle spasm that will release your grip.

Nice job Torrain and to the O-line. The kid earned this one as a hard runner and I am looking forward to what he can do against Detroit next week. HTTR!

Posted by: SkinsFan771 | October 25, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for the Giants tonight, we will take care of them later, I hate Dallas to much to root for them

Posted by: stephenwilson2003@yahoo.com | October 25, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I said a couple of weeks ago that Torain reminds me a bit of a slighty smaller, and faster version of Riggins. He hits hard and finishes off his runs. Something the Skins have not really had since Stephen Davis. He is a keeper. Woth more experience and coaching up, he will learn to hit the holes better and hopefully, hang onto the ball better.

Also, while I am a huge stats guy, it also goes to show that they lie like a rug. The Bolts are #1 in both offense and defense, but are 2-5. The Skins have the last rated D and a QB rated in the 20's and are still 4-3.

I expect the Lions game to be another nail-biter. The massive overhaul they started last year is starting to pay off and they are going to win some of these close games soon.

Hail!

Posted by: NosferatusCoffin | October 25, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Torain last afternoon is what happens to a lot of young players in the league. You have to adjust to getting the amount of touches a starter gets in this league on a constant basis. I count those fumbles as flukes in an otherwise sloppy game, which had 9 turnovers total but could've easily been 14-16.

Games this sloppy just don't come around often, I expect that the players will play better against the lions, but I still see it being a close one. But I see the skins willing themselves to victory and playing better on offense and mcnabb coming out after two average games in a row and catching a rhythm early in that game.

Posted by: culprit59 | October 25, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse