Ryan Torain's success "takes all 11 guys" on offense, Kyle Shanahan says

Second-year back Ryan Torain has had consecutive 100-yard games since replacing the injured Clinton Portis as Washington's starter.

The Redskins' running game has been much more effective with the hard-running Torain in the lead role than it was during the first few weeks of the season. But that's not Portis's fault, according to offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

"Ryan [Torain] is a good back, but I think other guys running didn't have anything to do with our lack of success," Shanahan said the other day at Redskins Park. "We didn't run the ball as well against some other teams, and I think some had to do with those defenses we were playing.

"Our game plans weren't as good. As far as running the ball, I think we have gotten better in that aspect and our guys have gotten better at running together. It takes all 11 guys and Ryan has done a great job, but I expect other guys to do the same."

Torain's 100-yard performances have provided a major boost for the offense overall, Shanahan said.

"It really means a lot when you get a guy to run for 100 yards in each game," he said. "It really doesn't mean anything with three games in a row because last week doesn't really mean much to us. It is about this week. If he runs for 100 yards this week, I know it will help us this week. I am excited for us."

By Jason Reid  | October 30, 2010; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  Running backs, Ryan Torain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lions' Ndamukong Suh talks Redskins, transition to NFL
Next: Only two running backs for Lions game

Comments

What? Is he trying to say that a running back needs good blocking in order to be sucessfull? What an amazing concept!

Posted by: kaasmaster | October 30, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I hate this Detroit game. Perhaps the most difficult thing about turning around a team is getting them to play consistently regardless of the perceived level of opponent. Because this is yet another game that will be close, another coin toss - IF - the Skins show up. If they don't it's St. Louis all over again.

See Tracey Hamilton's column.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 30, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | October 30, 2010 2:18 PM

It takes a skilled interviewer like Jason Reid to draw these insights out of a player. Real inside stuff.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 30, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

WTF do we gotta travel to Detroit again??They should be scheduled to play here if we played there last year, but NOOOO!! The NFL knows we eternally LUNCH on the Lions at home...longest home win streak for any team..

Posted by: frak | October 30, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if they ever tried Dockery at center...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 30, 2010 11:43 AM

He's barely serviceable s a guard...not sure why he'd accel at center. Seems to me, big and strong is just about all Dock has going for him at this point...

I sure would love to have a guy like Suh...that guy would be nice at RDE in the 3-4 and on passing downs in the spot AH is playing.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 30, 2010 12:14 PM
------------------------------------------
I don't know how a guy goes from being a starter in the league at the beginning of the season to "barely serviceable". We can all agree that Dock isn't a great fit for this offense and the blocking scheme it entails, but I am not ready to concede that he can't still contribute. He probably couldn't play center but watch how the duo of Lichtensteiger and Rabach do against Suh in Sunday's game. You might find yourself wishing some big 330 pound guard was in front of him instead of two speed bumps...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 30, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | October 30, 2010 2:49 PM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 30, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | October 30, 2010 2:18 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | October 30, 2010 2:40 PM
------------------------------------------
The Reid article begins:

"I have received many emails asking why football players don't go flying off into space whenever they step onto the football field. This is a good question, and to get to the root of the matter you have to understand two things: one, gravity is something Albert Haynesworth invented, and two, gravity is something Dan Snyder doesn't want to pay for at his stadium...."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 30, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

"Just pray that none of the players drive over to Dearborne. I hear the Muslim terrorists are running the town... "

Heh..Like the ad says, "Terror-It's For Breakfast!!"

Posted by: frak | October 30, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@RSH -- Good one! LMAO. Or, at least, SOL (smiling out loud). Just the right dose of absurdity.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 30, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

gravity is something Albert Haynesworth invented....

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 30, 2010 2:58 PM

Fat Albert didn't invent gravity, it's just that because his mass is similar to that of a small moon he has more gravity than other people. It's a common misconception.

Posted by: kaasmaster | October 30, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Off-topic blurb from Redskins.com:

"Carlos Rogers was assigned to Johnson last year, but Rogers has spent more time covering the slot receiver this year. Look for a team effort against Johnson that includes Hall and veteran Phillip Buchanan, who played in Detroit last year."

Phillip Buchanon...dislike. That matchup sounds like Haslett's "redzone" nightmare come true.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 30, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

It's because of Fat Albert's gravity that J. Ried is always in constant orbit around him.

Posted by: kaasmaster | October 30, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Isnt this the third time in a row at Detroit?Seems like the skins had to come from behind to win there a few years ago.Either in Gibbs last year or Zorns first.

Posted by: lpddawg1 | October 30, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lpddawg1 | October 30, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Torain's success "takes all 11 guys" on offense, Kyle Shanahan says

By Jason Reid | October 30, 2010; 2:00 PM ET

EXCEPT, Torain is doing it with only 8 guys on offense. The interior OL is a sive and he's making his first cut 3-5 YDs deep in the backfield.

Give Torain credit. He's the difference and why the running game has improved.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 30, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

If Suh doesn't destroy our offense tomorrow... we win... So far this year, we have played more dominant ends than interior guys... but Suh scares me against these bums on the inside.

I guess whatever they do to Haynesworth in practice, that's how their going to have to attack Suh.

Posted by: tony325 | October 30, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey sour deisel

Do u think torain is our back of the future?? Or a servicedable back frona yr or two to complete the turnaround?????

I want everyones thoughts on this??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 30, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I want everyones thoughts on this??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 30, 2010 7:13 PM | Report
I like him as the future back

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 30, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Give Torain credit. He's the difference and why the running game has improved.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 30, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey Diesel, I've only been able to read about the last 2 games. Been in the Mediterranean. Is there any website I can go to see tapes of the last 2 games?

Posted by: frediefritz | October 30, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

i think they should pretend this is the 1-5 cowboys maybe they will play harder

Posted by: junebug55 | October 30, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

maybe they should pretend they are playing the 1-5 cowboys instead of the 1-5 lions maybe they will play harder

Posted by: junebug55 | October 30, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | October 30, 2010 8:08 PM

Welcome back professor. Sounds like you are enjoying your retirement..

I'm not aware of anyplace on the web reputable or not to watch archived games.

Last week's game was so bad (except DHall's 4 picks) that I doubt the NFL Network replayed it.

BrandieinCali- Torian runs hard but has a propensity to fumble and has problems picking up the blitz. He'll be out feature back for now but would be better if paired with some one like a 25 YR old Portis.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 30, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm not aware of anyplace on the web reputable or not to watch archived games.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 30, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse
I am enjoying retirement, but am still passionate about Skins. It's frustrating when out of country. Last year I was able to get games early in am from Hawaii. Probably when Kaneohe watches the games. But in Med, Colts game was 2-5 am. Nothing open. Bears game was on last Sunday evening, but noone over there is showing NFL. Too focused on "football"(soccer).

Posted by: frediefritz | October 30, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

+++

If Dockery is such a terrible misfit to this system, it's too bad they didn't try to trade him for a draft pick to some of those teams with O line issues.

If he just sits on the bench and then gets cut in the off season, it's a terrible waste.

I wouldn't expect much, but another 5th rounder is still one more pick.

Posted by: edvar | October 30, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | October 30, 2010 9:07 PM

Pretty black-and-white view: either you're a starter or we trade you.

How do you know they didn't try to trade him? He makes a good backup and Lichtensteiger might work his way out of the starting job. They can still trade him in the off season.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 30, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey sour deisel

I want everyones thoughts on this??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 30, 2010 7:13 PM

The answer is "YES". Depending on how he plays...

(And brandon, I think maybe you need to slow down just a bit on that keyboard so as to improve your accuracy...just a thought)

Posted by: edvar | October 30, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | October 30, 2010 9:18 PM

LOL. I had a similar thought, but I didn't think that it was necessarily caused by speed on the keyboard. Looked to me like the guy had borrowed some illegal substances from Frak.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 30, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Pretty black-and-white view: either you're a starter or we trade you.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 30, 2010 9:12 PM

Not black and white at all. Try to think a little.

Shanny has sort of unique taste in O linemen. Dockery doesn't appear to be a fit his system (big slow powerful drive blocker instead of athletic and fast).

Given how Lichtenhoozer is routinely getting blown off the line and Dockery is standing there in street cloths watching, I have to believe that Dockery has a brighter future elsewhere in a system that is a better fit for him.

And let's face it, we should be stock piling draft picks.

From that perspective, I guess it actually is pretty black and white after all..

Posted by: edvar | October 30, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Lmao thanks edvar

Postin at work is never good for my grammar

I think torain will be our spell back.

He's our guy this yr n next yr hell be our bruiser

Hahaha beep beep ya man the weed may be the true culprit

For some reason frak doesn't seem like a stoner, more of a speed head

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 30, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Lmao thanks edvar

Postin at work is never good for my grammar

I think torain will be our spell back.

He's our guy this yr n next yr hell be our bruiser

Hahaha beep beep ya man the weed may be the true culprit

For some reason frak doesn't seem like a stoner, more of a speed head

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 30, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Eddie my boy

Gotta remember dock was cut from buffalo

Nobodies gonna give up a draft pick for a guy they coulda got in FA

I believe ur right that dock may fit better somewhere else, but no team will trade for him..... unless cerrato got a new job??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 30, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Lmao thanks edvar

Postin at work is never good for my grammar

I think torain will be our spell back.

He's our guy this yr n next yr hell be our bruiser

Hahaha beep beep ya man the weed may be the true culprit

For some reason frak doesn't seem like a stoner, more of a speed head

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 30, 2010 9:31 PM

It's funny you mention that. First time I read your post, I thought it was frak. That dude has spirit!

Posted by: edvar | October 30, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Edvar-

Serviceable is the proper adj for Doc when he was in his prime playing in the right system. He's now 30 and is a terrible fit for MS's zone blocking system. He's looking for guys that can get to the 2nd level (LBs & DBs), Doc can't get it done.

Kory L can but he's terrible at pass blocking and gets beaten too much to take advantage of his athleticism. We need need 3 interior linemen and Doc has no trade value.

This OL is an upgrade this year only because of the play of our OTs.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 30, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Deisel

Co sign. OT is answered for the next few yrs

Silverback, nasty.

Brown, at 70 percent he's better than any other RT we had last yr, when healthy he will own

We need C, LG badly

RG needs help but too many holes for one yr

I expect our line to be complete after next yr.

Shanny wants cohesion, so when he gets HIS guys then our line will really be lookin up

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 30, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

We need need 3 interior linemen and Doc has no trade value.

This OL is an upgrade this year only because of the play of our OTs.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 30, 2010 9:38 PM

I completely agree that we need all new interior linemen. I was just wondering if there was a way to take advantage of some of the teams set up to play power football and have some injuries up front. Get a draft pick out of it. Docks been a perennial starter, so maybe he gets you a late round pick. It seems the feeling here is maybe not.

So be it. Trade deadline's over anyway.

Posted by: edvar | October 30, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

He was cut from Buffalo because they think good linemen w/ big salaries aren't needed, even if they're good. They got rid of Peters and Dock because they're too cheap to pay them. Dock should have some trade value, especially to teams with beat up OL's in power blocking schemes.

I wonder if BMW when he's finished losing weight + getting his blood clots under control will be serviceable in Shanny's scheme. If he is, it means we just need a LG, and a C - very doable in one season. If we also need a RG it will be more difficult.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 30, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

JFK-

Buffalo stinks but they made the right call on Peters and Doc.

They got a 1st, 4th & 6th Rd pick for Peters who was terribly overrated and has somehow made 3 pro bowls. He lead the league in 2008 in sacks surrendered and is a penalty machine. By comparison we gave up a 4th for Brown who missed last year and went to 2 pro bowls.

As far as Doc: They cut bait on a terrible contract.

BMW is done here, he's less athletic than Doc.

I'd be happy with an upgrade at C and LG this year thru the draft and FA and then replace Hicks the following.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 30, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree with most of what you said Diesel except that BMW is done here because he's less athletic than Doc. Right now he can't play and last year he was less athletic because he lost 100 lbs very quickly and was still huge. How do you know that after he recovers from both his dramatic weight loss and the blood clots that he won't regain whatever agility he had in his first couple years? Granted, he was awful as a tackle, but I'm sure he had more than enough agility for a guard. You may be right, but I'm not going to assume that.

Beyond that, the reason why we got Brown cheap was the fact that he was hurt last year and the Saints got by without him. Peters wasn't hurt before he got traded and has done well for Philly no matter how much they might have overpaid for him.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 30, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I think he'll make a good back....hopefully he will not get injured...

I'm anxious for them to use Simpson as a "scatback"...I think we need that. To be honest, we really haven't had that since Johnny Morton from the jets.....

But somehow, if we can parlay some more pick from Haynesworth or Portis, we need to get a REAL FAST back..and the horses upfront to block for them...........

But in the interim, I like Torrain...

Posted by: impervious99 | October 30, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Nice try Kyle, but it was mostly the average runner Clinton who's loooong been overrated!

Posted by: iubiquity | October 30, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I don't do nothin' illegal, ever..

Torain still has a history of injuries, so exercise some caution..Yeah, if Shanahan can find another young Portis, like Diesel sayd, that sounds like a winning combo..Let's get another Sean Taylor and Russ Grimm while we're at it ( half-joking)..

Posted by: frak | October 31, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Raise your hand if you knew that the Great 8 was 6'2 233lbs.

Dude is a horse.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 31, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

He was a serious prototype free safety...They had to kill him...You gotta wonder if they took great athletes like Auburn Cam or the Michigan QB and turned 'em into safetys if they'd be like Sean..Cam caught a beautiful corner-of-endzone pass today- where is he going to end up??

Posted by: frak | October 31, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 31, 2010 2:00 AM | Report abuse

Germantown, hahaha..urm, my cynical bad, RIP, Number 8..

Posted by: frak | October 31, 2010 4:37 AM | Report abuse

If you like , had some of that Germantown Oblivion and some of those "suite" cocktails, and played some Marley (which he liked), you could talk to Sean Of The Dead through meditating on his jersey..You can talk to the dead through their works and words and even clothes, if you use like, voodoo trance /"Dreammachine" techniques (like Burroughs/Gysin), create noisen, you can create a Germantown backroad to the dead, and they talk...

Posted by: frak | October 31, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

you can create a Germantown backroad to the dead, and they talk...

Posted by: frak | October 31, 2010 6:20 AM

For frak, every day is Halloween.

Sure they talk, but what do they know and what do they say? "I wish I had a pizza. Never could stand the Grateful Dead. I need to do my laundry. Blah, blah, blah."

Posted by: beep-beep | October 31, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Here we go Redskins, here we go!

Wake up everybody it's game day!!

It's going to be another edge of your seat, nail biting, high blood pressure game that will go down to the wire!

But, we will win, this years Redskins will not choke like last years. Torain gets his third 100 yard game, Haynesworth continues to beast, Orakpo gets him another sack or two.

Redskins: 21
Lions: 17

Posted by: 72Redskins | October 31, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

You gotta wonder if they took great athletes like Auburn Cam Newton....turned 'em into safeties if they'd be like Sean Taylor

I don't wonder about that as I wonder about the number of kids in the past who were like Cam Newton and Denard Robinson, and got turned into everything but what they did well.

Play quarterback.

Newton,especially, impresses with each viewing.

And where you see the 6'6" Newton in Auburn Tiger colors and think "Jason Campbell?" you don't as that kid has incredible touch--and confidence--to all points on the field.

The issue with the Newton is all about starts and system: increasingly it looks like the college quarterback who has played 3 seasons in an NFL-lite system makes for a draft pick who can play on day 1.

Yes, I know the redskins have needs.

But if the collge scouts come back and say, "Mike Shanahan, we think this kid can make plays for us," I'd be happy if the redskins draft him.

Just like I was when they drafted Sean Taylor.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 31, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

We need C, LG badly, RG needs help but too many holes for one yr...I expect our line to be complete after next yr.

True.

And remember: the team is committed to KoryL, Artis Hicks, Trent Williams, Casey Rabach, and Stephon Heyer no matter what the critics say about him).

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 31, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 31, 2010 8:10 AM

We forget about them for a reason. If they were starters or backups, they would already be on the roster. Not many Anthony Armstrongs out there who can become starters off the practice squad -- mostly guys like Marcus Mason, Anthony Mix.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 31, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

"A good GM would match him to a team having O Line problems and get some value for him. Not saying that can't happen in the off season, but if a team has some injuries, we have more leverage and they have urgency. Advantage us.And let's face it, we should be stock piling draft picks.Posted by: edvar"

We get a lot of these idealized trade scenarios here. Seems to be more common in the era of fantasy football leagues. Reality being that it's difficult for any GM, even the very best, to pick up quality players in exchange for reserve linemen with big contracts. And draft choices are more valuable than ever.

A lot of folks were wondering before the season, how Shanahan would make use of those bulky interior linemen the Skins had accumulated. Looks like we're getting the answer.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 31, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

"What I hope for is that either Eugene Cook or Selvish Capers (we keep forgetting about these guys, don't we?) developes from practice squad players to maybe a starter or back up.Posted by: MistaMoe"

Well, sure. But off what we saw in the preseason, both needed at least a season on the practice squad. Possibly more. That's why they went late in the draft.

By the way, it's Erik Cook.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 31, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

BTW, stockpiling draft choices is the Belichick model. The Jets, for instance, go the other way. Both seemed to have put together pretty good rosters.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 31, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Torain's a very talented back -- might have gone in the late second or early third round if he hadn't had that injury history. But he does, and we shouldn't forget about it, either. Keiland Williams is talented, too, although for some reason he underachieved in college. And James Davis out of Clemson is on the practice squad -- he's the sort of tough runner that fits the Shanahan scheme.

But I still think they'll draft a RB this year. Not a first rounder, but somewhere fairly early. And probably a WR.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 31, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Torain is doing a good job, but has a serious injury history and needs to improve at blocking and short yardage. I don't feel like he'll become a long term franchise RB for us. I'm with the above poster who said that they will probably select a RB in the upper half of the draft next year.

Posted by: Jason10 | October 31, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

HAHA!!! Gentlemen...Its gameday!!! I am prediciting a high scoring game. I think Mc5 will have multiple TD's. Santana will light it up, AA will get one, and a BB punt return for TD.

My score is 35-21 Skins

Posted by: roccoskins | October 31, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I'd also like to see little BB take one to the house today, I hope McNabb is on point also.

The interior of the O-line will have to man up today, they'll have their work cut out with the young monster in middle.

Casey Rabach, hope you eat your wheaties.

Posted by: 72Redskins | October 31, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | October 31, 2010 8:33 AM |

interesting, but what is the average age on both of these teams ?

Posted by: hessone | October 31, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Casey Rabach, hope you eat your wheaties.

Posted by: 72Redskins | October 31, 2010 9:42 AM
------------------------------------------
I think the offensive line will struggle a bit today with Suh. Expect a lot of rollouts, sweeps, etc. to take the play away from the middle of the field. The running game is one key element. Torain has to deliver. The other key element is getting to the quarterback. If the QB has time, he will find big old CJ somewhere ont he field. Getting to him early is better than late. The guy hasn't played for awhile so roughing him up early might get in his head for the entire game. Tema has to contain Spiller while still getting after the QB. They have to be aware of those little screens to the running back.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 31, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

My score is 35-21 Skins

Posted by: roccoskins | October 31, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

High 5 Rocco. I like that prediction

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 31, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Santana has a huge game today. Look at his history against Detroit. Him and McNabb light it up today.

Happy Halloween Hampsters

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 31, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"I'd also like to see little BB take one to the house today"

Detroit's a fast track- Santana thrives there..Brandon should get plenty of opportunities..Armstrong and anyone else with fleet, too...

Posted by: frak | October 31, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

this question may have been asked already, but will the game be blacked out in the D.C area also???

Posted by: Mike_teck113 | October 31, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

No Mike. Away game are never blacked out.

Posted by: mack1 | October 31, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Me and Robert Johnson get along well..We're both ol' Greyhound world travellers and paranoid as Hell...Jimi thinks I'm like a guerrilla..Nope, more like Tuli,,

Posted by: frak | October 31, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Good morning folks.

I never thought this game against the Lions would be the most important game in the first half of the season. We really need a big game out of Donovan today and a complete performance out of all three units. The closest we ever came was against the Texans and Eagles, but those were only in the first half.

Stafford is coming back, and the Skins need to take advantage of any rust. The Lions can't bench him in favor of Shaun Hill (OUT for this game), so the Lions have their hands tied if we rattle Stafford early and often.

We just about need a perfect performance out of Rabach, Hicks, and Lichtensteiger. Suh will dominate inside. Rabach isn't particularly strong so double teams will be essential. If we had a solid offensive line, I would run right at Suh all game like Riggo behind Grimm against Randy White, but this matchup isn't even close.

I will say the Redskins perform better than in weeks past, but it will still be close enough to make us feel uncomfortable.

Final score: 24-17

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | October 31, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

One more time.....Banks will have a HUGE game today on artificial turf. He will return a KR or PR for a TD. This Bank(s) will be open for business on Sunday.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | October 31, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Keyshawn rated us 5th in his top 5 in the NFC--behind the Seahawks, Iggles, Falcons, and Gints in that order. Tom Jackson had Greenbay in his fifth spot behind the Saints, Iggles, Falcons, and Gints.

I don't see how you can leave us out of the top 3 in the NFC at this point in the season, we beat at least one team in each list ranked higher than us. I also don't buy the Gints as #1, though I have to admit their D looks formidable.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 31, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

it's going to be so sweet when the redtards bring their candyassed game to detroit and get smacked down. an 0-7 team like the redtards has no right expecting to win on the road.

i'll be back after the game to say i told you so.

he-he-he?

Posted by: 10peterbilt | October 31, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

IT'S GAMEDAY!!

This is a must win game. I'll go as far as to say this is one of the most important games we've had in a long while. We need to win this game and look good doing it. Let's go REDSKINS, bring us into the bye at 5-3 and things will be looking very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course 10pete doesn't even care about the girls anymore b/c he knows their season is over, heheheh.. you can't do math.. 0-7?? hehehe, ya big d o u c h e. your team is closer to 0-7 than ours. YOU will be 1-6 after your game today.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 31, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

They start blacking out road games, I'm moving on to Aussie rules football.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 31, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Going to miss most of the game today but it has occurred to me that because everyone and their sister has ID'd it as a classic "trap" game, the Skins will win in blowout fashion.

Hail!

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 31, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Rachel, I gotta agree. If we lose this game, at the end of the season we'll look back on the Rams and Detroit as the reasons why we didn't go to the playoffs. Win this, and I think we are on our way.

Of course, sweeping the Cow-tards is gonna help a little, but it's hard to take much from beating a 1-15 team.

he-he-he

Posted by: edvar | October 31, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

GO 'SKINS. Performance-based football. I like it. Let's shed those HAYNESWORTH-type contracts.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 31, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

he-he-he, nice one edvar!!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 31, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

granthpaulsen

1. #Redskins inactives: Barnes, Portis, Simpson, Riley, Jarmon, Bryant, Dockery and Beck

===============================================

Only two active RBs again this week.

Posted by: TWISI | October 31, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

1-15 for my Cowboys? you obviously haven't had your coffee this morning because surely you meant 11-5. you redtards fans are mighty chesty these days. it ain't over til the fat lady sings and i don't even hear her warming up. and rachel, you're probably the biggest dreamer and d o u c h e of them all since you actually think your team's p i s s -colored pants will appear in the playoffs. he-he-he!!!

-kthxbye

Posted by: 10peterbilt | October 31, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Hahahah I thought his sn was 10penierslicked?????

Or 10 pee pees built his house???

All those bj's cowboys fan give romo didn't pay off

This guys ur prototypical cow-dung fan

Lol I remeber the look from week one, I was at the home game

Cowgirls fans were oh so sad, we got fluked were still goin to super bowl

Lmao 10pengas licked only got u to the paniic bowl. N they lost that

The sad part is these cowboy fans are homegrown

I grew up in germantown where there's probly more cowgirls fans than skins

Have you ever even been to dallas????

Can't wait for another win for us n lose for the girls.

These cow padussies have no heart n no loyalty

I wouldn't be suprised if Romos injury is exaggerated so cowgirls feel like they lost their chance when he went down, even though they all kno he is mr Neverclucth and we can all count on him to choke just like petey did on those ten things he licked

Ahhh now I feel better, got my daily cowboys venting done now time to smoke a bowl

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 31, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

We'll be watching today's game and it's gonna look familiar. Rewind to the 2005 season. We had some new players (Moss) and new scheme (added shotgun). We were winning some ugly games (9-7 against the Bears) and losing some close ones. But then we gelled in a game in late October against San Francisco. The final score? 52-17.

Like deja vu all over again. Skins win it big today 47-17.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 31, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"interesting, but what is the average age on both of these teams ?Posted by: hessone"

By unofficial count, looks like the Jets have 18 players with more than 5 years in the NFL; the Pats 20. Comparable.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 31, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

wow petey

I just read ur post to rachel and I now feele even more sorry for you

U think jon kitna is gonna lead u undeafeated????

Babababahahhahhahahahahahahahah

Bahhhhaaahahahaha

Ahahahhaha

Now I just realized that ur a 7 yr old lol

Hahahaha kitna???

Baaaahhahahahhahaha

11-5???? Hahagagagagaga

Hahahahaaaahhhha

Oh man I'm still laughin

Hold on lemme read it again

Bahhahahahahahahahhaha

Kitna hahahahhahaha

Ur actually a funny guy

As in funny like dumb, retarded, slow, mentally unable to process information

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 31, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

And you're pretty chesty for being a fan of a 1-5 team. LOL. At least our goal is becoming more realistic.. unlike yours, you really think you're going to run the table? haha, i was reading blogging the boys, even the cowboys fans over there are realistic. question is when will you take off your rose colored glasses? lol. get off this blog, shouldn't you be analyzing your game against the jags on blogging the boys? why are you all caught up in this?

oh and you do know that Homo is hurt right? or did you miss that?

Posted by: rachel216 | October 31, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Torain's success "takes all 11 guys" on offense

We'd like to see an old school 20-25 carries day for Torain.

(The lions will accord Jahvid Best plenty o' carries if they are smart.)

But he, Torain, must hold the ball up high and tight to his chest, a la Tiki Barber, to prevent fumbles.

The bears showed that Torain's upright running style allows for anyone to come up from behind and 'poke' the ball away.

I say slug early with the running game, and play action pass middle to late with a strong bomb to Armstrong breaking the lions well before they get out of the cage.

Skins win 32-17

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 31, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

bragdon_in_cali,

fixed the typo in your handle. now lay off the pcp-laced weed. it's clearly affecting your tenuous grip on reality. btw, "mentally" is the only way humans process information. i am wholly unaware of any natural way to "physically" process information.

typical redtard follower. he-he-he?

Posted by: 10peterbilt | October 31, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Barnes, 3rd rounder

Jeremy Jarmon, 3rd rounder

That's 2 third rounders in their 2nd year not getting playing time again, y'all.

Who does this?

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 31, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Lol ya man I'm just gonna stop posting to petersucker cuz dude is just dumb!!! I told him he couldn't process information mentally and he was unable to process that. Lol dumby I wasn't asking you to find a different way to process info, I was hoping you would process info period.

Make sure you wear your helmet out in public, people gotta be able to identify that ur not at all, you know mentally......

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 31, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Who does this?

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 31, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Coaches interested in putting their best 45 on the sidelines. I actually like this approach.

You can't have it both ways--clamor for more players like Zo and AA and complain when they deactivate or cut high draft picks like DT or Barnes. (not accusing you, Moe)

That said, I'm not sure how Buchanon is still activated over Barnes. I guess MS sees them every day, but Philip has been a liability in the red zone.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 31, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Barnes, 3rd rounder

Jeremy Jarmon, 3rd rounder

That's 2 third rounders in their 2nd year not getting playing time again

Moe-

Jarmon has played but I'm not convinced his knee is even 90%.

Barnes has size (6'1) and is a decent tackler, I'm shocked he can't beat out Buchanan for playing time.

And of all days he should have been on the field to see his old buddy J. Best.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 31, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

beep no fresh legs beep

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 31, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"dumby"?

let's move on.

i was merely suggesting that "mentally unable to process information" was a redundant phrase since "mentally" is the only way humans naturally process information. i should have known it would sail right over your underpowered brain.

stick to football, bragdon (even though you nothing about it).

he....he....he!!! is laughing this hard good for a person?

-kthxbye