Torain growing more confident

New top running back Ryan Torian ran extremely hard during the Week 4 victory over Philadelphia and in his season debut against St. Louis in Week 3.

But Torain didn't show as much determination in the preseason, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said.

"I think Ryan was playing with confidence [against Philadelphia]," Shanahan said, commenting on Torain's running style. "That is how he runs. He runs hard and he can get low and run through some people. Early in the preseason and in [his featured role in a preseason game], he didn't run as well as we thought he was capable of.

"We knew he was capable. He didn't show that until we did go with a couple of other guys [Larry Johnson and Keiland Williams]. He showed it every day in practice that he has been on the practice squad. Now that he is back, we think he has his confidence, and we think he will do what we expect. When he got into the game, he did."

Although Torain has a history of injuries, the coaching staff has not tried to change his running style, Shanahan said.

"I know he has had some issues in the past. Ryan is tough player who runs hard," he said. "I know in his NFL time, he has shattered an elbow on a helmet, tore his ACL getting bent over sideways. I don't think those are really two injuries he could have controlled.

"If you worry about it as a coach and you worry about it as a player, he's not going to do well. You can't really play like that. If we're second guessing, 'Oh, he might get hurt, he might go,' you can't play with him. You got to let him go and run and let the cards fall."

By Jason Reid  | October 10, 2010; 6:45 AM ET
Categories:  Running backs, Ryan Torain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins prepare to face Finley
Next: Packers linebacker Clay Matthews is much improved

Comments

Go get em Ryan. Let's kick some ass today !

Posted by: last1 | October 10, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Ever the class organization, the WaPo mis-spells his Torain's name in the first sentence of an article about his first start. It's the little things they do that define them...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 10, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 10, 2010 7:09 AM

Man, you too? Leave this stuff to a dork like Cork. If you're gonna be a nit-picker, get your own house in order. You can't misspell the word misspell, then follow it with a construction like "his Torain's name" when you're calling people out. Let he who lives in a glass house cast not the first stone.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 10, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm really pulling for this kid. Hope his injuries have just been bad luck.

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 10, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

I hope T-Train has a big game...HTTR

Posted by: skinswillwin | October 10, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

The youngin should have a good game..But getting to Rodgers will be crucial..

Did I say TCU talkin about Beamer?? I meant Boise State , of course..One of those teams with too much blue pigment...My brain being "heavy metal Giger Grey", of course..

Posted by: frak | October 10, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

I hope T-Train has a big game...HTTR

Posted by: skinswillwin

I hope T_Train has a big game...There fixed it for ya.
stu

Posted by: stu_pid | October 10, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

(Besides, we pluck running backs out of our arses, so if he gets injured, it's on to the next guy).

Posted by: TWISI | October 10, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

we pluck running backs out of our arses

Posted by: TWISI | October 10, 2010 8:00 AM

And it's not a pretty sight, although a Duke coed has posted video of it

Posted by: beep-beep | October 10, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 10, 2010 7:09 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | October 10, 2010 7:38 AM
-----------------------------------------
I thought we settled this yesterday... I live in a stone house...

But, I don't get paid to write prose for a living, so my typos are forgiveable. The guys writing these articles - and their editors - should be a little more competent than that. And, if I am Ryan Torain - with my name in bright lights in DC for the first time - it would irk me to have my name misspelled. I've been told that misspelling names is one of those unforgiveable sins in the writing world.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 10, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

More power to the All-Torain Vehicle..Is Williams playin'?? At least run block is something Heyer can do..

Battleship paint, I need some battleship paint..If you painted your house with that, the termites would break their teeth on it..Where can I get some?? Not the Navy Yard black market (I used to work there, heh-heh). Nah, someplace semi-legal, like Sunny's..

Posted by: frak | October 10, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 10, 2010 8:11 AM

"Unforgivable sin"? You might want to cut back on the caffeine. Guy probably ought to be put on a month's probation for misspelling a name on an internet blog -- like Mike Wise who makes up stories.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 10, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | October 10, 2010 8:19 AM

Paint your house with that and your house will be covered with barnacles.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 10, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Heh..Well, there's always aircraft paint..Space Shuttle paint would be pretty good ( I'm high enough anyway)..Don't know how the Space Shuttle black market is these days ( but the Chinese Space Shuttle paint is VERY cheap)..

Posted by: frak | October 10, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Torain growing more confident

We expect "Night Train Torain" to show even more determination.

With CP down, and no Ladell Betts or Rock Cartwright around, the kid is in an enviable position.

He can have a season that makes a career.

He can grew into a starting role with his first rush and become the next Olandis Gary, Terrell Davis, or, for that matter, Clinton Portis.

And he shouldn't be selfish in that regard as Devin Thomas just got cut, but walks away with more money--$5 million signing bonus for starters--than Torain could ever dream of.

A great next three months, and Torain might be signing his way into prosperity, seeing the extent to which he will be depended upon by the Washington Redskins over the next month.

Torain should run with determination--and patience--and impress the organization with maturity and professionalism.

Too, as he's an upright bruising type, he also has to know that heading out of bounds to avoid hits is just as okay as bowling over a defensive back.

The kid has a once in a lifetime, career making opportunity staring him right in the face.

Let's hope he doesn't fake a move, and have it take him down the way Quinton Mikell couldn't.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 10, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

"Brett Favre Is Being Investigated For Emailing A Picture Of His Penis To A Female Reporter"

female reporter disappointed at the sight of a naked Favre:

How come it's not as big as the one in the picture you sent?

Favre: I was just in the pool.

So don't worry.

Plus, it won't be as big as the fat stack of money you'll get for not talking about how small it is.

So if you can choke on that, you can choke on this.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 10, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

How come it's not as big as the one in the picture you sent?

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 10, 2010 9:14 AM

In the picture it was inflated. Just need to blow it up.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 10, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I have a feeling we are gonna be missing AH big time today but I hope the D steps up for him. I think Rak is in for a huge day, and All Torain Vehicle gets into the endzone twice.

HTTR