Sacks and Skins and Stats

So I am doing some Ravens research while the girls are sleeping Saturday night and I'm watching the - yawn - playoff games. I'm doing something on the Ravens O-Line next week - and how it was rebuilt on the fly in the most un-Skinlike way possible - and I get to crunching some numbers. Ended up with another statistical anomaly on my hands, courtesy of your favorite football team.

Let's cut to the chase. The Ravens and Texans tied for the best sack improvement in the NFL this season, each allowing 25 fewer sacks in 06 than they did in the 05. Now, for the Texans, that's not saying too much; they gave up an NFL-high 68 sacks in 2005, and were still in the bottom half of the league with 43 this season.

Only seven teams improved by 13 sacks or more this season - the Redskins were one of them - and for six it correlated directly to a drastic improvement in the win column.

Baltimore - 25 fewer sacks - 7 more wins
Houston - 25 fewer sacks - 4 more wins
Jets - 19 fewer sacks - 6 more wins
New Orleans - 18 fewer sacks - 7 more wins
Philly - 14 fewer sacks - 4 more wins
San Fran - 13 fewer sacks - 3 more wins
Skins - 13 fewer sacks - 4 FEWER wins

What's wrong with this picture?

Then I looked at lowest sacks allowed overall this season, and how it related to overall standing. Again, the Skins were the outcasts.

Fewest Sacks Allowed in NFL in 2006:
Indy - 15 - Won division
Ravens - 17 - Won division
Skins - 19 - Last in NFC East
Saints - 23 - Won division
Pack - 23 - improved by 4 wins; 8-8
G-men - 25 - Wild Card
Da Bears - 25 - Won Division
SD - 28 - Won Division
Eagles - 28 - Won Division

Am I the only one a bit taken aback by this? Six of the eight division winners are spoken for here (New England allowed 29 sacks and Seattle was the exception with 49) and all of those teams had what for them had to be considered successful seasons (okay, maybe not the Giants but they still got in), while the Redskins had what may have been their most disappointing campaign in franchise history.

To me, it points yet again to just how sorry the defense was.

Because the scary thing is, despite giving up just 19 sacks, the Redskins only broke even. They only produced 19.

Compare that to the Ravens, who were an unthinkable plus-43 in the sack department (17 allowed; 60 created).

That starts to explain why one team went from 6 wins to 13, and the other went from 10 wins (and five of them coming in a row when the Skins finally became a quarterback-rattling force) to 6.

No doubt, the Redskins wasted a studly season from their O-Line, especially over the final 12 games.

By Jason La Canfora  |  January 8, 2007; 7:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday Pigskin
Next: Another Guest Column

Comments

JLa, agreed that the O-line put up some studly number. The end game to correct the anomaly is to win. This is the problem with a 'pass first' offense ... esp. one that gets off the field so quickly -- 3 and out so often. Add dink and dunk Mark B to the mix, and we are through the looking glass statistically. Nice catch on the anomaly.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Once again JLC thanks for making me depress.

Let's all say it together. Smack to the back of double G head.

Cyn Cyty yes I hoping if I say it enough it will happen. Someone please take double G! Any team. Any one! lol

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2007 7:37 AM | Report abuse

How many more games could have been won with a better defensive performance?

The guy that sits behind me was burnt by the opening night fireworks. The defense was burnt all year and didn't force enough turnovers.

Posted by: Bobmilldevils | January 8, 2007 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I'd be interested to know how many sacks were avoided by Brunell sailing the ball out of bounds after about 2 1/2 seconds. Also, did the numbers improve after Campbell and more commitment to the run?

Posted by: evan | January 8, 2007 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Wow.

Good, but depressing, stuff, JLC...

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | January 8, 2007 8:37 AM | Report abuse

It's both the defense and the offense. The defense couldn't get off the field and the offense couldn't stay on... so... far fewer chances for sacks.

Posted by: Redskinrex | January 8, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

The other thing that occurs to me about how irritating that statistic is ... Brunell spent the season in Saunders' offense by scrambling out of the pocket, making it that much harder for the line to keep the sack numbers low. [Admittedly, the sack numbers might be artificially low given how often Brunell -- to avoid the sack -- threw the check down out of bounds.]

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Any Boofer sightings this wknd? I bet he's busy researching that rumor that Romo is to embarassed to go to Hawaii...

Posted by: Pub Golf | January 8, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Great blogging over the weekend! Made for a great read. Spent the weekend on yard work (note: I'm pretty sure the upper 60s in January in DC is part of a massive hoax), and listening to the games on the radio.

Will Romo be ruined? I doubt it. His instinct was sound (run for the first down, maybe a touchdown) and if he EVER watches the game film, he will see that. Earlier last week, Parcells told Big Media that Romo was overconfident (thanks for the vote of overconfidence, coach!). I think Romo might become a little more guarded on the slippery ball from shot gun now, like maybe he might cover the fumble for a while instead of pick it up and do something surprisingly ballsy and effective. For all his over confidence, Romo showed some clutch decision-making under pressure that he converted into yards. [Jeez to I hate giving credit to a Cowboy.] The one lasting effect that play will have? Romo will never be a holder again.

Way to go Jason and Mrs. La! Back into the breach! Just when everything btwn you and your bride gets sorted out, the whole deck of cards gets thrown into the air! Good luck with that.... ;)

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Will Romo be ruined? Let's hope so! Any thoughts on if Parcels will come back? I hope he doesn't. He's traditionally a skins killer.

Seriously, I felt bad for the kid. It was like watching a car wreck, though. I had to watch as many times as I could on the DVR.

Posted by: evan | January 8, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

All About pressure on the QB.Thanks Jason for reinforcing that. We Need a 2007 version of Say it with me "Manley Mann butz and Grant."

Posted by: Old School | January 8, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

JUST WANT TO POINT OUT TO ALL SKINI FANS THAT EVEN THOUGH THE 'BOYS SEASON IS FINISHED THEY STILL HAD A MUCH MORE POSITIVE SEASON THE 'OL SKINI TEAM. 5-11 OR 9-7 AND IN THE PLAYOFFS? WHICH WOULD YOU TAKE SKINI FANS? EXACTLY, YOU'D TAKE THE DALLAS SEASON IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

evan, Big Media (espn, si, etc.) rumors are that Parcells stays and TO goes. Everyone has focused on Tuna/TO, but really that seems like its only the cover story that is really a dispute btwn Tuna/PlasticMan. [JJ as GM, rather than JJ as owner/paycheck.] My guess is that Parcells will pull a semi-Cowher -- resign but still coach. I see Parcells in Miami.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

there is a boofer sighting ladies and gentlemen

Posted by: boo boof | January 8, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

JLaC - You are skewring dem stats again. What is the Sack for/against total for all teams? Also,why didn't we give up so many sacks? Remember we had Brunell for most of the season and he threw the ball away too early. He wasn't worried about scoring.........

Posted by: 4th Floor | January 8, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

On a Skins topic (but not a Skins player), I also predict another mis-made personnel move b/c of the way the FO is structured, i.e., not a GM.

Rumor is that Grilliams loves Nate Clements. Probably scouted him when he was Bills' HC. If J-La's Lost Season article is to be believed (and it is), then what the coordinator wants, the coordinator gets. Vinny and scouts will prepare a package of the best available CBs, which will be reviewed by the coaches, and GG gets his deal done.

If the Skins had a GM (or at least me as their GM), the player package ranks the available players. Instead of the coordinator getting the player he wanted in the first place (i.e., which makes the process a little bit of a charade for a coronation), the GM identifies the top available option (for the likely best available terms) and the coordinator gets a veto.

With a real GM, this would have meant Jurevicus (sp?) would have been a Skin. I don't know who the Taylor insurance would have been, but my guess is that it would not have been Archuleta.

For a while, I've been peddling that -- if we go to the FA market for a CB -- it should be Asante Samuel. [For some reason, the nfl.com site does not show that he has any picks, much less tied with Champ Bailey for the season leading ten.] Samuel also is a character guy (see Cyn Cyty's link to boston.com about Samuel yesterday). The Pats will decide not to afford him.

I don't know about whether Clements is a team player, and because its the Bills and because he only had three picks, he may come cheaper (Samuel has played in two Super Bowls), but I think the top FA CB available is Samuel.

This year, I think (1) Grilliams will get Clements who (2) will be overpaid. [This last bit, plus Archuleta's contract, is going to make it hard to keep the Reaper when he hits FA.]

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Getting bounced in the first round and having to deal with my QB's mental state because of a botched snap, or getting the #6 pick in the draft? Not so sure I'd trade places with the Cowpokes right now.

Posted by: [cc] | January 8, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: [cc] | January 8, 2007 10:10 AM

THAN THE SKINI'S DESERVE TO HAVE YOU AS A FAN. SOMEONE WHO WOULD RATHER TAKE A 5-11 AND NOT EVEN A REMOTE CHANCE OF SNIFFING THE PLAYOFFS OVER A 9-7 PLAYOFF TEAM. LOL

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Right. I would've loved to have made the playoffs, but we didn't. You did. Congratulations on your loss. Now, seeing as how both teams have the same record, where would you rather be? Forgot to mention the impending coaching change too. Have fun with that.

Posted by: [cc] | January 8, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Give all the credit to Mac9. His ability to avoid pressure has been amazing. We've lost Mulitalo,Ogden,and Vincent to injuries and 3 of the sacks we allowed was Kyle tripping over his own feet in the 2 games Steve missed. Throw in the fact that Steve is completing passses to 7 different recievers every game and it's hard for a D to get to him in time. That's going to be the Colts challenge. We lead the league in time of possession even with Jamal's down year. Goes to show how great the passing game has been.

Posted by: Brian"The Brain"Billick | January 8, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

JLa, great post. All I want to add is that the Skins sack numbers are articifically low b/c of how much Brunell & JC were handcuffed this season.

Brunell & JC weren't exactly free to throw the ball around & make plays the way Drew Brees or Mark Bulger were.

Posted by: Clinton Hill | January 8, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Really? Would Skins fans take Dallas' 9-7 season of being over-hyped all year only to lose in rd1 of the playoffs to a team missing half it's o-line, it's top WR and nearly it's entire starting secondary? Add to that the fact that Dallas only beat 1 team that finished over .500 (and that was in Dallas against the Colts who were .500 on the road anyway)
I would say HAIL NAW(in a heartbeat)!!

I think what BOOFER meant to say was that DALLAS fans would take the Redskins '99 or '05 seasons over any season Dallas has had since '96 (in a HEARTBEAT!!!!!)

Posted by: We don't want your season | January 8, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

WELL DALLAS FANS CERTAINLY DON'T WANT A 5-11 SEASON. SO THAT ONE YOU ALL ARE WELCOME TO KEEP! DALLAS FANS ALSO DON'T WANT THE DISFUNCTION THAT JLAC HAS SO BEAUTIFULLY SHOWN THE ENTIRE REDSKINS ORGANIZATION TO HAVE. THAT ONE'S ALL FOR YOU SKINI FANS TO KEEP. ENJOY THE 3-HEADED MONSTER (DANNY-BOY, VINNY THE LAP DOG, AND OLD MAN GIBBY) AS THE GM BY COMMITTEE. HAHAHAHA

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

There seems to a violation of a blaw occuring. 15 yard penalty for responding directly to BOOFER.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Nobody wants a 5-11 season, but that's what we got so we'll live with it. Today, after both teams are out the playoffs, I just don't see what's so much better about having been 9-8, losing 4 of your last 5 and having no playoff win. It's one thing if you say it was a building block for your team. But the way it ended wasn't something to build on, it was something you hope to forget. And if the Tuna leaves, then you're pretty much back to square one.

We'll deal with our dysfunction just like you'll deal with Alien-Face, TO's drama, Romo's psych bills and a new coach. So yeah, I'll take the #6 pick instead of #23 (and then deal with us trading it to Denver for Ice Capades tickets or something)...

Posted by: [cc] | January 8, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

my bad, dcsween.

Posted by: [cc] | January 8, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Backyard BBQ in a suburb 35 minutes outside of Dallas. A balding man of 49 who has had 11 Natural Lights is arguing with a heavy man with a giant gut and scraggly beard wearing a mesh hat. The bald man believes that his boy is the better QB. The argument gets heated...

The two sons are called over. A pick up game ensues with the 2 boys at QB. It comes down to a chip shot field goal. The son of the balding man chokes under the glaring pressure of fans that capitalize all letters thus losing the intrinsic meaning of capitalization, the weight of a fat pig mercenary hired to coach his team, the thousands of gigantic bamas who shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Upon his folly, the now fully inebriated father yells at his son. The boy turns to his father and screams:

'AAAAHHHHHHH Downt Wunt Yer Life!'

Everyone in the greater Washington, DC area applaudes and cheers.

Scene

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | January 8, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

WHAT ARE THE ODDS THAT MICHAEL IRVIN GETS INTO THE HOF BEFORE OLD MAN STINKY MONK? PRETTY GOOD I'M GUESSING!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Clinton - hey bro good point, but Brunell was running to the sidelines and throwing balls to the fans in the front row last year, too, and they still absorbed twice as many sacks then.
JC behind center definitely helps, but the O - Line had a very strong season, too. The dedication to the run in the second half of the season was a big factor, too.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | January 8, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Stunning stats JLaC. This can only mean one thing. The 'Skins will find a way to screw up the obvious strength of the team by low-balling Dock and allowing him to leave as a free agent.

Posted by: 4-12 | January 8, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Non-Skins news post (but discussed here earlier): JaMarcus Russell (Jr., LSU/QB) declared he will enter the draft. I project that he (6'6", 260) will perform better in the NFL compared to Brady Quinn (6'4", 230). My apologies for bad mouthing Notre Dame last week (I see my post was removed from the site, presumably for personal attack on Charlie Weis). Sorry. My bad.

Skins personnel move to be resisted at all costs: Tony Gonzalez eligible for FA this season (as well as franchise tagging). Saunders must NOT be allowed to go for that. COOOOOOOOOOOOOOLEY!

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Jasonm - any rumors that the Raiders are interested in Saunders? He was talking to them last year before joining the Skins.

Posted by: skinswest | January 8, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | January 8, 2007 11:02 AM

It's funny 'cause it's true © Homer Simpson

Posted by: Clinton Hill | January 8, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

A 2003 USDA study explored whether cinnamon could help improve blood sugar and cholesterol levels in people with Type 2 diabetes. The results were encouraging: After receiving 1-, 3-, and 6-gram tablets of cinnamon daily for 40 days, the study's subjects showed levels of glucose, triglycerides , and LDL ("bad") cholesterol each down by nearly 30 percent. But the most recent work, which focused on postmenopausal and perimenopausal women, showed mixed results. Likewise, researchers who have tested isolated cinnamon compounds on animals have been unable to produce conclusive data.

"Clearly, the bottom line is that results are mixed," says Roger A. Clemens, spokesman for the American Society for Nutrition and an expert in food technologies. "The trials have just been too small in scope and the studies not well-enough defined. [Saying] otherwise is leveraging minimal science to claim it may be beneficial for those with Type 2 diabetes."

Posted by: loco mullin | January 8, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Pats looked damn good. Chargers fans must be worried.

Colts-Ravens will also be a great game. If the Colts can withstand the 1st quarter surge that comes with a road playoff game, I think BBM will find enough time in the 2nd half to hit Wayne and Harrison for some big plays and win a very close game. But I could also see that Ravens D hitting BBM in the mouth all day and win by 10.

Posted by: CMoney | January 8, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Jason, unbelievable stats. Good work, man.

Posted by: Ian | January 8, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

The redskins plan didn't throw the ball much. But this also doesn't accout for the amount of times the reskins Qb's threw the ball away. I'm sure they lead the league in that stat.

Pass attempts per sack

Indy (pass attempts 557) pass attempts 37.1 per sack
Ravens (525)30.8
Skins (471) 24.78
Saints (581) 25.2
Packers (631) 27.43
Giants (524) 20.93
Bears (514) 20.5
Chargers (466) 16.6
Eagles (544) 19.42

Only San Diego from the least amount of sack list threw the ball less times then the skins. Hmmmmmm wonder why oh yeah they had a 1800 yard back.

Posted by: dc | January 8, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Question for JM: Ever hear of Muscle Milk, a protein drink? Is it any good?

Posted by: Jason's editor | January 8, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey Cyn Cyty. (man I love that name) I think Lisa said that what she takes. I only take products from Twin Lab, EAS, or Xyience.

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Admit it Jason, you're a closet Redskins fan. You love them too. Don't be ashamed.

As always, good stuff. Lets get dana Stumble-field back on the line. That'll get them sack #s up. Or sell some Jerseys.

Posted by: Dorf | January 8, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Cyn I will check tonight at the gym with some of the other gym rats. They sell it at the gym but don't think many people buy it. I will have the answer for you tonight.

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Bit of interesting info from Latte King at si.com ... the 10 year leases for club seats and boxes at FedEx field are up for renewal this year. Sounds like there might be an actual opportunity for something to boycott.

CMoney, I'm thinking the same thing about the Pats. To me, it comes down to Merriman and LT versus Brady and Bellichek. This one is my upset of the week ... 20 years of Martyball and a rookie QB lead to predictably consistent results.

On Colts-Ravens, J-La let on about something I never really knew ... the B-more viceral hate toward the Ron Irsay Colts. B-more fans don't seem particularly obnoxious (see e.g., fans from Philly or NYG), but it sounds like the crowd is going to be good for a few points. [Damn those BBM floppy arm silent audibles!] The Ravens have all the pieces in place to go all the way (including enough Jamal to move the following week against NE's D ... and a secondary to stop Brady). Like the Ravens, the Browns know what its like to lose a team, but its going to be quite a while before Browns fans could make a difference in a Ravens game.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

dcsween, interesting, I had forgotten about those 10-year leases coming up. But I think we're going to need some good intel to know whether something by way of a boycott or backlash is really happening, because you know the Skins will sit on any bad news about club/box sales or just spin madly.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Ok everyone, Stats don't mean a thing and the stats that were posted by Jason should prove that. Call me a homer or whatever but what is with all this negative press? Just last year we were in the playoffs and there were no exposes, but this year it's this junk. Look at it this way, when the football season is over everybody is a loser but the champion so that means everybody has to do something different to be the Champ. So in short if you aren't the champ then it's back to the drawing board. I got one more question someone could anwser, What should Joe Gibbs say about the season, Should he blast the coaches, players and everybody or should he have done what he did and take it upon himself for the blame and why wouldn't he go looking for the leak at the park, seeing as he is not throwing people under the bus, if you bold to put it out there be man enough to admit to it.

Posted by: Don Redskin | January 8, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how long it takes JLC to reveal the Ravens real secret: a quality GM. How can you not like what Ozzie Newsome does and how he does it?

Anyone know which defensive players are availbable to be overpaid for? I vote for Adalius Thomas, smart guy first, versatile player also, can play anywhere Skins need him, which is probably......anywhere.

Si.com says Fred Smoot probably will be waived. Other rumor I heard in office today, was Springs moving to Free Safety, to help the Reaper figure things out.

At least Romo still has Carrie Underwood to console him. Booooohooooo beatccch.

Posted by: k Squared | January 8, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't get the Springs to safety rumor. It's stupid. Why move your best cover corner to safety?

If Taylor isn't cut out to play coverages at safety, why not consider moving him to WLB where there is an obvious need for an upgrade. Put Prioleau at SS and Vincent/Fox/Archie at FS. And have Rocky and Lemar battle for MLB.

Posted by: CMoney | January 8, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

k squared, I think your last line explains why I'm feeling weird unexpected joy today. It's that shameful joy from other people's failures. Not only did Romo suffer humiliation, I didn't have to hear about T.O. at all. To make the weekend especially joyous, the Gnats lose and I got to witness another Shockey hissy fit. So the Eagles move on for another week -- somebody had to not lose; 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Maybe I don't have to see Coughlin next year. The last ounce of dignity on the Gnats (Tiki) is retiring and because all three teams made it so far, they have worse draft positions. The Skins may be sucking air, but so is the of the NFC East.

SIGN DOCKERY! (don't let him go to Seattle)

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Great work JLac!!! The O-Line had a very good season, and I was particulary impressed with Samuels and keeping those D-Ends off Campbell. Also, they were mashing people in the mouth repeatedly. Also, kudos for Todd Wade and Pucillo for their. At least we've got depth somewhere.

Just think guys if we had a full 7 pick draft.

We could get
1- DE
1-DT (Speed Rusher)
2- LB's
1- TE
1- CB
1- Safety

Get depth from waivers! Maybe I should be the GM!!!!!!!! I can do this!!

Oh....it was just a nightmare...I only have 3 picks. Shti!!

Posted by: sicwidit | January 8, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Ok, fellow addicts. Just seven real NFL games left. Four divisional games + two conf championships + Super Bowl. That's all, folks.

At least when the final gun sounds and the, uh, let's say the Saints go marching out with the Lombardi Trophy, we can REALLY focus all our energy on the Skins' offseason.

Smoot's possible waiving is intriguing. Wonder if we would consider building up our D by signing a handful of good-but-not-great role players, guys a tier or two below Samuel and Clements.

You know, being more responsible about our salary cap, addressing a bunch of needs instead of just one or two, amassing some quality depth, thinking long-term, making a solid investment instead of a big splash... nah, I'm only kidding!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Why move your best cover corner to safety?

Because this organization is #ucking retarded. Really, it's the dumbest thing I've heard this offseason so far. Which also means it's probably true.

At least the Tiki Reign of Terror (TROT) is over with, thank gawd, or rather - *Cough*ling. Surprised he hasn't caused more players to retire prematurely. Here's to hoping the Giants retain him for at least one more inept ridden year.

Posted by: Megskin | January 8, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

dcsween- Amen to all of what you said, except there's still one ounce of dignity on the Jints. Our boy Antonio Pierce. If only.......

Posted by: 4-12 | January 8, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I agree CMoney, just what some tool heard on radio. You just have to worry about Springs' durability though.

We need a legit middle backer'. Lance Briggs or Adalius Thomas would do. Marcus and Rocky/Lemar on the either side, now we are talking. If we are going to have to rely on Fox, Prioleau, or Aruleavnnoworlater..........would not be good.

Posted by: k Squared | January 8, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, JM!

Posted by: Jason's editor | January 8, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

J-La's sack stats indicate two things: we were playing 'not to lose' by instructing Brunell to take zero chances at all times, and the O-line was not the problem this year.

Remember that we got really lucky with O-line health, had all five starters in for almost the entire season. Seem to recall having at least one of our starters miss huge chunks of the past three or four seasons, and then having a steep dropoff in talent to the second ranks. Poochie, Wade and Molinaro seem to be solid backups, and I hope we keep them around, because our top five (assuming we re-sign Dock as we all hope) will be a year older...

I like that our line last year and this year made big pronouncements along the lines of "put it on us" and "run the damn ball." I don't like that our coaching staff have to be TOLD those things and that it takes us half a season to start doing it. But they yam what they yam, and these dirtbags want to run the damn ball, and next year we should do that every damn game.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, I would say Muscle Milk is about as good a prepackaged proein shake as there is. Not great, but better than the rest of the options out there. Certainly the most palatable one where taste is concerned. Lot of gym rats tend to make their own though, to tune the ingredients to their nutritonal desires.

Posted by: cm202bc | January 8, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Maybe, just maybe, Dallas hasn't won a playoff game in over a decade because of the bad karma generated by their fans.
The Seahawks game sure gave you the feeling that the Cowboys are cursed... and perhaps it's a result of the way their fans antagonize non-Dallas fans.

So, maybe as Redskins fans we should lead by example and say that we congratulate Dallas on making the playoffs and putting up a darned good fight in their playoff game...
And BOOFER, please accept our condolences for the heartbreaking ending of Saturday's game. Most Dallas fans pick Dallas as their team because they are such glorious franchise that seems to always win (much like the Yankees), so I would assume you Dallas fans take it much harder than us humble Redskins fans when a disappointing season ends in such a difficult manner. But keep your chin up BOOFER and other Dallas fans, you had a nice season and some promise for next year... but at the same time, learn your lesson about karma and try to be a little more reasonable with your comments to other non-Dallas fans (that includes this blog, the office, the bar, etc)
Thank you. And good luck next year to all.

Posted by: Chaos theory | January 8, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I thought I had no life reading and posting here. After seeing that there are Dallas fans posting comments here, I have found in them people with even less of a life. I thank them for setting the bar lower, making us 'Skins fans feel that much better. Now, on to speculating about the future of Gibbs II (Electric Boogaloo).

Armchair GM time: First, the 'Skins hire a GM. Then, for the 2007 draft, defense is the watchword, especially the D-line. This year's draft is deep, and so trading down for more picks is a good way to maximize the value of the #6 first rounder the 'Sinks have now. I would take the sixth pick and trade down for two late first round picks (like say a #15 and #25, similar to what the Bears did in 2003 with their fourth pick). Then, I would trade the #25 for a pair of high second rounders. The 'Skins can get an immediate starter on the defensive line with the first pick, then excellent depth and/or potential starters elsewhere on the defensive side depending on available talent after their first D-line pick.

Lower round picks, i.e. 4-7 (remember, no third round pick this year), should be used for O-line depth (4 out of 5 O-line starters will be 30 or older by next year) and linebacker projects.

I like the early look of either Alan Branch (Michigan) or Amobi Okeye (Louisville). Both are rated as first round talent on several draft sites. Branch is bigger (6'6", 331), but might go early. Okeye is still big (6'1", 317), but since he is generally rated lower than Branch he may be available late in the first round, and since he graduated college at 19, as an NFL rookie he will be only 20 years old. Big, smart, and young, I would pick Okeye. Of course, all of this would depend on the extensive background searches for character issues.

Did I mention that the 'Skins should hire a GM? I know I am only the 1,209,504th fan to suggest this move.

Posted by: Rennypolis | January 8, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

The name "Muscle Milk" is repulsive.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

know I am only the 1,209,504th fan to suggest this move

Only the 1,209,503rd. Jeebus, can't you even count correctly? The nerve of some people.

Posted by: Megskin | January 8, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Nate, I suppose that depends which "muscle" it is coming from.

Posted by: Megskin | January 8, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Why move your best cover corner to safety?

From an organizational standpoint though it's either move Springs on the field or move him off. A lot more $ wise to get a new CB and move Springs to S than it is to get a new S, and a new starting quality CB to back up Springs. Honestly, Shawn's body just cannot be counted on.

Posted by: cm202bc | January 8, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"Of course, all of this would depend on the extensive background searches for character issues."

Posted by: Rennypolis | January 8, 2007 01:41 PM

Posted by: 4-12 | January 8, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I should have warned y'all about Romo's hands - he fumbles my breasts also.

Posted by: Carrie U. | January 8, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Megskin, thanks for making a bad situation worse. No use crying over it, I guess.

This dude ranks ten (actually eleven) top moments in FedEx history. I don't agree with the rankings -- would have automatically put the playoff win #1 -- but it's a nice walk down memory lane.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mark | January 8, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I just finished reading "The Looming Tower". It is not about sports. It is about Al-Qaeda. It is completely unbelievable. Know thy enemy.

The Redskins should hire a GM.

Posted by: Lavar Walt Clark | January 8, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I should have warned y'all about Romo's hands - he fumbles my breasts also.

Posted by: Carrie U. | January 8, 2007 01:48 PM
-------------------------------------------
So far, that is the funniest post I have read here ever!

Posted by: LMAO | January 8, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I instantly regret posting the request about Muscle Milk. Thanks for the tip, CM. It tasted overly sweet. I think I'll make my own. Meg, please don't go there.
Thanks for the mention of "The Looming Tower." I made a mental note to read it a few weeks ago, then forgot the name of the book! Doh.

Posted by: Jason's editor | January 8, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Chaos Theory, don't get me started on Yankees fans (and I'm not even a BoSox fan).

k Squared, I don't think the Skins can afford Briggs or Thomas. Actually, I don't think they can afford Clements or Samuel either. First, at CB, Skins have a bigger need for a top game starter compared to LB right now. Second, when I say "afford", I don't just mean cash (which cannot be a $nyder problem) or cap space (somehow the Skins never get hit). The reason we can't afford it is b/c in the coming years, we will need to re-sign our current roster. If we pay everyone sick money (a la Lloyd, Randel El, Archuleta), then everyone is going to want sick money.

Same for the draft. We need to trade down from #6 not only to get two picks (in the first and second round), but also b/c the price tag for a #6 pick is a bank buster, not to mention a morale buster, esp. if his performance lags at all over time (see Carlos Rogers).

If Clements or Samuels don't work out, the first day (maybe not first round) picks at corner that I like are Aaron Ross (Texas) or Ryan Smith (Florida). Watch for Smith tonight. 8 interceptions on the year. He's listed as a junior, but he's a graduate student. [Not sure how that works.] We need a CB with sticky hands in the worst way.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm planning to visit the "The Looming Tower." Can anyone suggest other sights to see in Italy.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I think I'll make my own.

Oh how I would like to take that out of context. I'll refrain.

For now.

Posted by: Megskin | January 8, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

MEG!!! this is a family blog. a very dysfunctional, addams family blog, but a family blog nontheless.

Posted by: Jason's editor | January 8, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Just remember, Carrie Underwood does "Got Milk!" ads for the IMF. No, not the Ethan Hunt one; it's the International Milk Foundation. I'm sure she's got a bit of muscle behind that organization.

And she also supposedly doesn't eat meat. Now now, I know what you're all thinking, but it's not that, she's a vegetarian. Perverts. Just wondering if Romo is alone at home now, crying and listening to "Don't Forget To Remember Me." Boohoohoo, maybe the Tuna will come over and hold...for him.

Posted by: Megskin | January 8, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm really jealous of the Ravens. For as much as I genetically deplore Art Modell (Raven's owner who started the Ravens with my childhood team ... formerly known as the Browns), Ozzie Newsome was to me what Art Monk has been to long-time Skins fans. That B-more Sun article reads like an anthem or tribute. I don't think that could even be made up about the Skins current VP for Player Personnel. What DOES Art Monk do nowadays?

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

BETTER TO BE ROMO THAN MEGSKIN OR ANY OTHER SKINI FAN FOR THAT MATTER.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

BTW, looks like the Giants have returned to NY after their loss at the Linc

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFan | January 8, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Get your boo-hoo box Boofer. Call us when your boys win a playoff game.

Rom-overrated did a good job. I heard Seattle gave him the game ball.

Posted by: Skinz | January 8, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

GENIOUS! adam.

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Megskin - I don't understand you and this resistence to move shawn to Safety? If we bring in a top guy via Free agency, you would have to move him automatically. The only way he would stay where he is is if we pick up a CB in thw 2nd - 4th round and give them a year before inserting them in to the starting line up.

There is plenty of reasons not to sign Asant Sameul, btw. He ain't all that. Draft your future CB.,.........

Posted by: 4th Floor | January 8, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Adam, LMAO...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I disagree. A starting CB is going to cost a lot more, money-wise, than a starting S. Plus, I'm not one who thinks the safeties currently on the team are all that bad. We have more depth at S than at CB, so moving your best CB out would be just dumb.

And how is Springs supposed to stay healthier at a more physically demanding position? That is illogical.

I think this is what we do with the secondary:

(1) Keep Springs as the top corner.

(2) Don't sign Clements -- he is overrated. Ask Buffalo Bill fans whether they care if he leaves. They don't.

(3) Keep Rogers as the #2 corner. The Skins' MO is to cut ties with young players too quickly. Corners are most often developed over several seasons just like QBs. Look at Asante Samuel -- he mostly played the nickle is his first few seasons, and his second year was pretty bad. Now he has blossomed. Rogers has shown flashes of what he can do. Stick with him. Don't blow money on another corner when the lack of pass rush is so blatantly obvious.

(4) Keep Archie and figure out a way to get him on the field. No, he can't cover very well. But he wasn't this bad in St. Louis, so I wonder how much of his play has to do with Coach Jackson's coaching abilities. He's a stand-up guy who needs a second chance and should play with a chip on his shoulder.

(5) If any free agent is pursued, target Ken Hamlin (S - Seattle). He has above-average coverage skills and would allow Taylor the freedom to play more in-the-box.

(6) Find a situational pass rusher who can relieve Daniels on passing downs. Be it through the draft, waiver wires, or free agency -- this is a must in order to help the secondary. Daniels is very solid against the run, but he has lost the burst to rush the passer. Wynn has the same limitations. I like what Golston can bring to the table, and Griffin was injured.

(7) Assuming Rocky moves into the WLB position, find a legit MLB. Be it through the draft, waiver wires, or free agency, or maybe Lemar can come back fully from his shoulder surgery last year and return to form. Poor LB play led to a lot of biting on play-action by the safeties because the LBs needed the help against the run. Upgrading the LBs will go a long way to solving the problems the safeties had defending the deep ball.

Posted by: CMoney | January 8, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Jason --

Those are very bizzare numbers and speak directly to the efficiencies (or lack thereof) in the passing game. Some of that can probably be attributed to #8 dumping the ball to the hot read or out of bounds so quickly.

On another front, have you heard any rumors about a trade of Portis to the Jets for Jonathan Vilma? Any comment on the probability of something like that?

Thanks.

Posted by: Dave in Sinking Spring, PA | January 8, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

You are right on, J-Lac. This is the sort of stat that should lead to the elimination of the Gregg-er. He picked the players. He built the scheme. He chose the Assistants. He called the plays.

And his defense was SO BAD, it rendered the normally sure-thing of a solid O-line a mere statistical anecdote in an early off-season.

Posted by: Can double-G | January 8, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"LMAO. Just like the extensive work they did checking out BLloyd's character, or lack thereof." (posted by 4-12)

That's my point. I think we all agree on this one.

The Redskins should hire a GM.

Posted by: Rennypolis | January 8, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand you and this resistence to move shawn to Safety?

Uhhm, because he's the only guy we have who can play cornerback right now?

Really, what I don't understand is the idea that we would take a guy who is great at what he does, ignore that, and move him into a position that typically demands a greater physical style of play.

Everyone complained and whined when Harris got tromped on by Tiki, I think it was, and now you want to move a guy to that position who has a bad history of injuring himself when he rolls around on the turf. I'm sorry, but it doesn't make any sense. It's like takeing Darrel Green, Champ Bailey, or Deion Sanders and playing them at safety. Why would you do that? It's like taking Lemar Marshall and moving him to Middle Linebacker instead of going out and getting a real MLB - oh wait - we already went through that mistake.

Posted by: Megskin | January 8, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope you guys realize there will be no GM until after Gibbs. It's too late in the game for that.

As for B Lloyd, someone would have signed him, just ask TO..........

Posted by: 4th | January 8, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it cool that we can focus on the D so intensely because the O really got going late in the year (Soupy + running game) and special teams were solid all year? If we can get the D shored up -- and I like CMoney's ideas up above -- I think we'll be in good shape. And of course we'll be playing that cupcake schedule. Boo-yah!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

CMoney, I'm almost on the same page. On our strong safety depth, I'm hoping that between Fox/Prioleau/Doughty, at least one of them can step up their game for pass protection. Agreed that Archuleta got put in the wrong position ... I think he was insurance for the then alleged perpetrator, the Reaper. AA was a free safety in St.L (correct me if I'm wrong on that). Maybe he could compete at LB (or back up the Reaper). [Off topic aside, I don't think the Reaper needs to play every down, including special teams coverage on extra points.]

On your #6, I was hoping that Evans was going to step up his pass rushing game. It didn't happen. Maybe that means his roster spot.

I still think we need to focus on a ball hawk CB, if only to be the #3 behind Springs/Rogers. Frankly, I think we need someone who can/should compete for Springs starting spot. [Maybe its me, but Springs' particular injury/surgery just sounded real painful to me, esp. recovery.] Did Eubanks play CB in the preseason or was it just ST returns? I don't remember. Portis had something good to say about him last week in that radio interview. The CB depth when Springs went down just could NOT get it together. The inadequacy of CB depth (Wright, Jimoh, Rumph) makes me long for a flushing sound. [And who is Leigh Torrence?] I want some investment at CB.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Megskins. I don't understand why the fixation with taking a guy from the third most imporant position in football (see my previous post about economic indicators in assigning positions value) and moving an injury prone player to a less a more physical, less important position.

Or to put simply, why move the only guy on our team that can cover to a position where he'll do less of it?

Posted by: Skinz | January 8, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

JLC you are wrong this time. I think it points to the overly conservative nature of the offense. Recall that Brunell throwing the ball away was regarded as a successful play on his part by Gibbs. The defense definitely lost some games, but the offense did not win many either.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Should read:

and moving an injury prone player to a more physical, less important position

Posted by: Skinz | January 8, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

But Meg, they played 16 games per season. Springs is great, when he's in there. But, if he can't stay healthy and play, then he isn't a viable offer as a starting CB in this league. Remember all of those excuses that were given at the begining from GG and this Blog (prob you too) that they aren't right because Springs isn't in there? We need continuity.

We can't take that kind of chance unless he can convince the coaches he can stay healthy.

Posted by: 4th | January 8, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Ooops didn't read Cmoney's post. I don't know if you should take that as a compliment or be worried about us thinking alike C.

Posted by: Skinz | January 8, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

If he can't stay healthy at corner, what in the world makes you think he's going to stay healthy at safety?

Posted by: Megskin | January 8, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Skinz, I'm intrigued by "economic indicators of assigning positions". I checked back to the previous 3-4 blog entries and couldn't find it. Do you remember when you posted it?

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

The only reason there is, dare I use this word properly, depth at safety, is due to poor talent and cap management.

I like Vernon Fox and Preston Prioleau too.....on Special Teams. However, with not nearly enough draft picks, cap room, or patience, I am sure we will see the same blend of GRWilliams "special roasted" next year.

How many multiple draft picks could we get by trading out of the 6th overall? Quantity not quality, when you need so much right?

Posted by: k Squared | January 8, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Its called Risk/Reward situation Meg. Can we risk him being #1 another year? maybe/maybe not. I don't want the dude to start at Safety. But it makes sense to switch him to the Nickel/3rd safety/blitzing corner person where he dosen't have to be in on every down. The risk is far greater to leave him in as #1 and then he incurrs another injury which would throw EVERYTHING off. Why do you think Seattle let him go???

With that said, me and dude went to the same High School and he is down to earth, but we are talkin about what is in the best interest of the Redskins. Calling for Portis to be traded/getting a GM right now/overpaying more players isn't. Taking a look at your #1 CB situation and look at how to improve it is.

Posted by: 4th Floor | January 8, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

There was a good post at ExtremeSkins that, using some fancy mathes and YAC, figured out how few yards Brunell's completed passes were actually in the air. They were, as you've guessed, very short passes.

Getting the ball out quickly enough not to get sacked doesn't necessarily translate to a good offense. Though the defense wasn't great, you can, once again, mix in a good helping of dysfunctional offense.

Posted by: worstSeat | January 8, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

You're right, I made every excuse in the book for him. It got tiring, why do you think I call him Gwilligan now? He failed to adapt and overcome. His fault and his alone.

We need continuity.
You know, you can only take this so far until it becomes yet another gawddamn excuse. Everybody goes through injuries, yet other teams manage to find players who step up and play ball. Didn't the Eagles have a corner starting who had been sitting by his Xbox all season only to come in and play against Dallas? I'm sure there is an example on every team that made the playoffs where someone on defense got whacked and they had to plug in some noname who stepped up their level of play. Unfortunately, this seems to be the exact opposite of what happens to the Skins. The people they pick up are not just bad, they're horrible. All, disregrading Troy Vincent, who suffered the whole injury fiasco pretty much right away.

Just win baby!

Posted by: Megskin | January 8, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Changing the topic for a second (coked up hamster here), but still a Skins topic. The other day, thinking about Portis' venting on the radio, esp. about how he didn't get passes in the Saunders' offense, I checked the numbers on he and Sellers. On average, both Portis and Sellers had slightly better receiving stats this year than last year. The only differences are that Portis had far fewer catches for first downs and Sellers had far fewer touchdowns.

Please excuse the interruption ... now back to our regularly scheduled programming about D backs, LBs, Springs, and depth.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember. I was half kidding. I just listed the highest paid positions in football. The top five were (i know the top three is right can't remember 4 and 5)

1. QB
2. Left Tackle
3. CB
4. DE
5. RB

DE and RB switched rankings when you had percentage of cap and overrall contract number. I can't remember which was which though.

I was saying that with the Salary Cap, player salary is probably the best indicator of relative importance set by the men who know the most about the NFL, GM's.

I also felt that a Right Tackles value is skewed and more an indicator of the importance of the QB so you could argue that CB is the 2nd most important position. If such a thing exists.

Admittedly, with the structure of guaranteed money it's a bit murky.

Posted by: Skinz | January 8, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Portis and Saunders are as incompatible as he made it sound on the radio.

Saunders will see him in camp next year and will be blown away and will start giving him more touches.

The Redskins should hire a GM.

Posted by: LWC | January 8, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

It's unacceptable that you build your entire defense around one cornerback who you know is injury prone and in that losing him throws your entire defense off. If this is really how that defense is setup, then we need more help than just a 16-game Shawn Springs is going to get us.

Why do you think Seattle let him go???

We all knew this was a gamble when he came here.

Defense Shopping List:

1 Safety (Is Vincent coming back? If not, we need someone back there that can help Taylor, sad but true)

1 OLB and 1 MLB (Marshall isn't a MLB, sorry, and Holdman just plain sucks. Is Rocky playing here?)

1 DE and 1 DT. (AC finally came along at the end of the year but let's hope it doesn't take one whole year again for him to warm up. DE on the otherside was not impressive and the only tackle that ever got mentioed was Golston.)

1 CB (Cross your fingers and pray Rogers can play. Otherwise bump this up to two)

Everybodies job this offseason is to run out and collect defensive-player coupons and hope "Giant" has a special.

Posted by: Megskin | January 8, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Younger and faster just about everywhere on D. Thats the bad news. When you break it down we need to replace like 7 guys, that doesn't include backups those are just the starters. I bet most of the back up players we have couldn't even make a roster on any defense rankled in the top half of the league.

Posted by: Old School | January 8, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Skinz, thanks. I understand. I'm not sure quite what to do with this pattern other than your point about not moving Springs from CB to SS.

Do the economics say anything about how to think about corners in the draft? For QBs, seems like there's always a hype about QBs, but its a complete crap shoot b/c the teams that draft first go first for a reason (they stink, usually b/c their O-line stinks). You get your starting O-tackles (both as far as I'm concerned) from the draft (the reason its lucky to be drafting 4-7 rather than 1-3). [Isn't a right tackle just like a left tackle to a left handed QB?]

Do the economics suggest anything about using the draft to find a starting corner? I'm only asking the theoretical economics question, not the historical question based on, for example, Carlos Rogers' performance this year.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I tend to take a longer look at the posted proposals/scenarios which make clever use of players already on hand, because we just won't have the cap room to go hog wild, and we won't have a lot of draft picks even if we trade down (which I think is unlikely). We can't address EVERY defensive need by plugging in a top-tier dude. That's the reality.

As always, judicious use of whatever flexibility we have will be the key. So I think we can count on another mixed bag from this front office: some hits, some misses, some outright agony.

I don't know if I can stand reading anything else about the doggone Ravens. Ozzie Newsome = patient, deliberate, thoughtful, dedicated to a plan... AAAAARGH.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

BAsically - We wouldn't be having this argument (if u want to call it that) if Rumph and Wright panned out......

Posted by: 4th | January 8, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Good point, 4th. And we also have to wonder how the season would have panned out had not Prioleau been on IR.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Enough with the trade portis talk. Even the Denver Post is printing those rumors now. They don't have the cap room, especially if they dump Arch/Lloyd. It makes no sense (which probably means it'll happen). They'll need Betts and Portis next year as neither one is likely to stay healthy an entire season. A question for Jason would be is how tradeable is Betts with the way his new contract is structured. His stock should be high as he's coming off a good year and the Jets were reportedly interested in him in the preseason.

Posted by: skinswest | January 8, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

SallieMae -

Interested in some muscle milk?

*hugs*

Posted by: Heavy D | January 8, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | January 8, 2007 03:30 PM

Or if Walt Harris wasn't let go. Or Ryan Clark. Or Prioleau didn't blow out his knee on the opening kickoff of the season (and how was that for a bad omen!).

Posted by: 4-12 | January 8, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Megskin, I made this point a few days back, but even though we all acknowledge our LB play was lousy this year, I think we're stuck with these dudes. I think Grilliams likes them a lot, and I think they avoided a lot of the criticism because we were focused on S, CB and no pass rush (DE, DL). So I bet LB is not made an area of focus for the team as far as acquisition/upgrade.

I remain convinced that we have to add a top-flight CB to start opposite Springs, taking pressure off Rogers until he is ready to start OR Springs goes down with another injury. That to me is the #1 concern for this defense, followed by D-line. I think we have to find a starting safety among the dudes we already have.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Megskin, OK, will start shopping, but its not just a safety we need ... its a strong safety with some pass coverage hands. Not sure whether Ryan Clark was exactly that guy, but someone smart who can cover deep so ST can sneak up/play run support. The most expensive safety (I'm not even going to say his name anymore) was the wrong kind of safety.

I know that there are people here in love with LaRon Landry (LSU), who I admit is a great safety, but he is also a free safety and we don't need another free safety. Sean Taylor is that guy. Skins need one of those guys labelled a "tweener" (between CB and SS) who with some pass coverage hands.

Come to think of it, given how Saunders says Lloyd is the most talented player in the NFL between his wrists and his finger tips, and given how he has such a nasty self-important attitude, maybe Lloyd should be moved to be a defensive back. Stranger things have happened ... like Mike Furrey, the former Detroit DB who got moved to WR this year (ELEVEN receptions for 102 yards in that last regular season Dallas game).

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

au contraire mon amie...

look at KC's defense with al saunders running their offense.

skins D will be in the shtis as long as Weird Al is calling the plays on offense.(period, end of story, good night, go home, see ya later, buhbye, thanks for coming...)

double G knows defenses but you can NOT let him pick his talent. as wilbon said JUST COACH you idiot! let the coaches coach.

another knock that i don't like on double G is that his defenses don't produce turnovers. which is just weird. don't you think?

and i'm absolutely sick of hearing/salivating over AP. i thought JC excorcised those demons. if not i'm sure if given chance he WILL next season.

re: dockery. i say screw the pressure from fans. they should not be pressured into OVERPAYING this dude. of course we'll bash them if they pay some FA double the money dockery is asking.

re: betts. after 6 fumbles in 8 games you think gibbs still pays this guy? they signed the dude at the PEAK. and now they're going to sign dockery at the PEAK.

anyone rember juwan howard? and how we cried and cried as a city when he went to miami? sometimes as fans we don't know what's best. but then again in this dysfunctional org they do the dumbest things possible in football. like overpaying and playing football in the NFL with no depth at any position except the RB position and even then....duckett happened...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i feel better now... :)

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

The Good news is it can be done. We can't for cap reasons cut everyone we need to this year.But if we move down from #6 to mid round one, pick up an extra pick or more if move down again. We really need to hit on a couple of havoc reaking front seven players. The rest of the D becomes some what better if the right mix of players are kept and or aquirred on the cheap. The Defense played well the first two years because everyone seemed to be on the same page and they played together with confidence. This year all the moves we make or don't make need to right. No margin for error. Can we do it?

Posted by: Old School | January 8, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

What ridiculous bashing. The article could easily have been presented as "a lot didn't go well for the Redskins this past year, but one thing that worked was the offensive line..." Instead, the slant is "what a wasted effort" and "gosh, that defense was sure awful."

Where's the journalistic objectivity?

Posted by: CrazyWhitey | January 8, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

R U talkin about the Denver Post article Whitey? If so, can you post?

Posted by: 4th | January 8, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

and this getting another DB business? why in the world would you not want to give your first rounder anohter chance with a healthy springs? if anything they ought to be getting an insurance policy(which doesn't mean a high priced FA) for springs not #22.

i flip flop more than john kerry!

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | January 8, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

dealer, I think you've got it. We need a third top CB, since either Rogers will still not be ready for prime time (look at me with the wordplay) or Springs will get hurt. We just have to hope against hope that BOTH of those things don't occur.

I think quality cover guys in the secondary will mean Grilliams can unleash more blitzes. The attack we enjoyed so much in the past two seasons was sorely missed this year. Our guys had to lay back. This affected not only the Reaper but the entire D's ability to blitz...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

OK, I certainly get the pessimism about Springs inability to take the physical beating at S, frankly I was using the same arguement elsewhere not long ago. But I think if Taylor plays the Strong (bc he certainly isn't the ballhawk he was in college) then Springs can be the good hands and cover guy we need at the Free while minimizing his wear and tear. I have a hard time trusting Pierson to be that guy coming off an injury when he wasn't particularly great in 2005. This leaves 1 hole (at CB) at that level of the D rather than 2 (CB and FS) to fill in the offseason. The way I see it keeping Springs at corner means another year of a Kenny Wright equivalent as a starter because there is no way Springs stays healthy, and if he is going to be injured I would rather lose a starting S than a starting CB. Alternatively, he or Rogers could be demoted to Nickel, but I don't see either of them taking that well at all.

Posted by: cm202bc | January 8, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Why aren't they any TEs on the All Pro team?

Also - They named 12 Defensive players vs. 11 offensive. That's weird....

Posted by: 4th | January 8, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

CrazyWhitey,
The defense WAS pretty darn bad.

Posted by: LWC | January 8, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Megskin.......bullseye.

DC, sounds as if trading down and maybe out of the 1st round is the way to go.'

Evidently, the good teams, the ones usually in the playoffs year after year, value the draft. They use it to stockpile depth, creating competition and unity.

Ask New England, Philly, or San Diego, they can show and tell.

Posted by: k Squared | January 8, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

J-La nice stats. Only freaks like us would love such numbers. To quote a fellow blogger:
"Recall that Brunell throwing the ball away was regarded as a successful play on his part by Gibbs."
I think that does account for the sacks and that the O-line were bruisers especially towards the end.

Here are my responses to things if anyone cares; : )
1. Don Redskin - last year appears to be an anomaly in 15 years of mediocrity so yeah the organization/team absolutely needs the spotlight on its failures.

2. Echo echo echo the trading down of the #6 pick to pick up more guys.

3. Here is what has depressed me much in last few days as we read about firings/hirings etc. How many teams have a bevy of GMs/asst GMs etc to choose from. Why god why?

4. LWC - yes they are more spears than lances but really do we want the name "Red Spears" - see Megskins post on Muscle Milk.

5. With 10 year expiration shall we begin the wild speculation about the Danny parlaying that into a new stadium in DC?

Back at school but no kids yet just wrapping up grades and stuff. Geez I hate getting up early in the morning.

Hail to the Red Lancers!

Posted by: sfskin | January 8, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Re the name change:
"Skins" works fine for me. cut the "Red" off it, change the mascot to a Davey Crockett dude with a bearskin on, and call it a day.

Oh wait, then we'd get the ASPCA and PETA on our *sses.

Posted by: LWC | January 8, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Or Pierce! We've really focused on Clark on this blog - but it'd be a much more tangible linebacking corps if we had signed Pierce.

The biggest dagger, as CPort loves to point out, is we let Ryan go and then paid a pro volley player MORE to take his spot! BRILLIANT!!!

I think, as awful as Phil Simms will look in his son's Skin uni next season, Grill will look that much more beautiful in G-men Blue next year! You wanna see a lispy tempers tantrums, waits tills Sstrahans blowss ups ats Grills ins '07s. Overs Unders weeks 3s.

PG

Posted by: Pub Golf | January 8, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Fizzling a little here, but found a link that seemed educational and sheds some light on the offensive woes of the past season. Its about pass-based offenses (West Coast Offense, Air Coryell, that stuff). It also features local celebrity coach, Ralph Friedgen. The bottom line seems to be that, for all the dazzling you can do with a fancy pass offense, everything still comes down to (1) the players you have and (2) the inevitability of needing to rely on the running game. Hopefully, Saunders will know enough about his current roster to re-design the playbook to their strengths next season.

p.s. I was only half joking about moving Lloyd to Grilliams' secondary. The team should use it as a threat, the next evolution of the verb "LaVar." Play better or we will move you to another position. Much more human approach and much less risky on the salary cap when you play to the strengths of an overpaid player.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

" We just have to hope against hope that BOTH of those things don't occur."

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 03:59 PM

Hope should never be part of any equation.

Posted by: socrates | January 8, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

LWC, I only ever refer to the team as the Skins. Like the name of one of two teams in pick up hoops (shirts and skins). The problem is that it doesn't start with an "R" ... unless its a silent "R" ... that is also an invisible "R".

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about dual posts.

Meg - take a look at any draft potentials yet? There looks to be 2 pretty good tackles - Okonoye (sp?) and Branch. Then Hall outta UM at CB.

Seriously, if they draft O side in round 1 - look for a local Pub Golfer doing a swan dive onto the 270 spur at ~5:18pm. I'll be wearing a Darrell Green Jersey for the last true Redskin and two pairs of Grilligans sweats. (one is a size 48 for now, aka hell, and the other underneath is the 35 he came here at when we thought he was brilliant)

allegorical suicides...gotta love em as a means of fan expression.

Posted by: Pub Golf | January 8, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Slow day at work. Debating what to call the rapidly growing area between Dumfries and Manasses (VA cities for you non-local fans). I suggested Dumasses. Hmmmm. Has a certain quality to it. Now back to our regularly scheduled Skins bashing.

Posted by: 4-12 | January 8, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Cut: Wynn, Holdman, Archuletta, Springs, Lloyd, Frost

Sign:
CB: Nate Clements or Nick Harper
DE: Jared Allen
MLB: London Fletcher
SS: Deon Grant
WR: Drew Bennett

Re-Sign: Dockery

Draft:
Trade down and draft D-line depth and a punter

Posted by: The Inevitable | January 8, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

>Nice article on Ozzie Newsome - a man with a plan.
>http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.newsome08jan08,0,7846205.story?page=1&coll=bal-sports-headlines

Smart, professional, and football savvy. Newsome inspires confidence and loyalty from the people who work for him. Hmm. He'd never fit in with The Danny and his cronies.

Posted by: JohnK | January 8, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Note to Cyn City! It just occured to me that I linked to a WaTimes article. My bad! Sorry. If thats a huge no no, then please delete that post (as well as this one). OOOOOPS. Sorrry (esp. if its a copyright problem or something).

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

socrates, you don't think fans of this team are relying heavily in hope right now?

Without a heapin' helpin' of hope we'd start making creepy jokes about committing suicide if the team does one more stupid thing...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | January 8, 2007 04:53 PM

That was thought of about 10 1/2 years ago.

Posted by: VDOT | January 8, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Inevitable, maybe you get ONE of those guys you listed, maybe. Cap space is going to limit the FA shopping these year. Plus, the dead cap space remaining by cutting both Lloyd and Archuleta means no FA shopping next year and beyond (for several years).

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Can we confine our off season choices to players that come from upper tier teams.

The only reason Buffalo is willing to let Clememts go, is that they only drafted secondary guys last year...kidding.

But taking guys from non-playoff teams is what happened last year.....we know how well that worked.

Yes, trade down and grab more picks.
No, do not take other teams trash. Bennett, what the hell do we need him for?
As Pub said, no pick for or from the 0 side.

The D side needs major rennovation. Face lift, tummy tuck, and some nice implants.

Posted by: k Squared | January 8, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

k Squared, on the D renovations, I assume you are talking about the entire D unit, not just the coordinator.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I hear you about the cap limits, dcsween... but I hear that every year and we find a way around it.

k Squared, Look at the available free agents and find better ones that the ones I listed. Would you rather have Patten as your #2 instead of Bennett? I wouldn't.

Posted by: Inevitable | January 8, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

We need a third top CB

nate, i hope when you say "top" you mean #3 who can play #2 not some overhyped FA that played "lights out" cuz it was his contract year.

yeah, it's crazy to think you can take "hope" out in sports.

btw, did anyone see mcnaab's reaction to that GW field goal? he didn't look all that excited...or you think i'm reading too much into it?

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

The Inevitable wrote:

Sign:
CB: Nate Clements or Nick Harper
DE: Jared Allen
MLB: London Fletcher
SS: Deon Grant
WR: Drew Bennett

We can't keep going after high-priced free agents!! When will the madness end!?

Short term isn't the problem and all these guys are expensive short term solutions. Quick fixes don't work. We need a long term plan.

Posted by: Clinton Hill | January 8, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

News flash ... Hue Jackson (Skins O coordinator under the Ole Ball Coach) is Atlanta's new O-coordinator. Petrino supposedly got picked to lead Vick in the post-West Coast Offense Falcons. Former Skins QB coach, Bill Musgrave is already in Atlanta. Something tells me they are finally going to be able to find some talent at the WR position. Hue Jackson has been in Cincy the last three years as WR coach.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

If we sign anyone from the inevitable's list. we are once again the '00 Redskins. We would be in Groundhog's day. Or the show Taye Diggs was in and only lasted one episode. Deja-Vu?

DON'T DO IT!!!

Posted by: 4th | January 8, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Hill, these are not suggestions... they are predictions based on historical evidence!

Posted by: The Inevitable | January 8, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

dcsween, yes and no.

Most would agree, there are some parts worth keeping, but by and large, it is an aging, slowing, poor tackling group.

Given the cap constraints, it is nearly impossible to tear it all down. That is why I call it a rennovation, not a teardown. There are some salvagable parts.

But, I would like to see one more year with GRWilliams. As Jason's article said, he knows defense and many former players, currently on other teams, loved playing for him.

He seems to need a workshop in the people skills department, but maybe that is why he is here. To learn from Gibbs how to f with the people in a way that gets results, not resentment.

I think he will come back next year motivated to prove that he is what he thinks of himself...a genius.

Posted by: k Squared | January 8, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Good for Hue.

But, dosen't Pertrino call the plays?

Posted by: 4th Floor | January 8, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Good to know fans on this blog have some sense.
Like I said, my original post was a crystal ball... check back in late April to see how close I was... I'm willing to bet Vinny C. has a list in his office (under Snyder's desk) that is very similiar to the list I posted.
Glad to see my fellow skins fans are voicing their outrage at a 'stay the course' plan in washington!!

Posted by: The Inevitable | January 8, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

k Squared, I was referring to Grilliams as the one in need of a face lift, tummy tuck, and implants. Failed joke. Never mind.

From Inevitable's list, it might be that this is the year that Buffalo starts to figure out it can't be cheap. Clements and Fletcher (Fletcher-Baker) are kind of important to that D and Jauron is a D coach by pedigree. I'm wondering whether Marv Levy figures out they really need to keep these guys and build around them. The Bills D was in the middle of the league stats-wise.

That said, I still see Grilliams poaching for his new CB.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I am confused by those calling for the pre-Al Saunders offense. The real difference between the past few years and this year was that the defense was not, to be kind, one of the top 2-3 in the league. Joe Gibbs' offense since he returned was awful. I personally believe that the curent situation was pre-determined the minute Gibbs signed Brunnel. It seems simply ridiculous to think of firing GrWilliams after a bad season. His defense has been resonsible for what little success the skins have had since Gibbs returned.

Posted by: giscone | January 8, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness for the little things.

We re-signed Albright

"He has not missed a game since joining the Redskins in 2001, and he just completed another year without a bad snap on punts or field goal attempts."

Now he won't be signed by the Cowpokes.

Posted by: charlie | January 8, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Inevitable....f Bennett. Have you been watching any of the Skins' this year?

Do you think we need another smallish, fast wide receiver or maybe a bigger option. For example, I would save FA money, and sign Marcus Robinson, big, tall, good hands, and......cheap. Assuming you need a WR.

We do not need any receivers, unless they are tall and cheap. Any pittance of available money has to go towards the defense. We need to upgrade the d line and backers to pressure the pocket.

Pressure the pocket and take pressure off an average secondary. Pressure the pocket and force turnovers.

I can not remember a Skins team so piss poor in forcing and recovering turnovers. A lot of this stems from collapsing the pocket and force the qb to do something he isn't ready to or wants to.

I miss Dexter on one side, Charles Mann on the other, Big Butz in the middle, Monte Coleman keeping the unit together, and yeah, a shutdown corner in Darrrel Green. Can't we reassemble pieces in this mold?

Posted by: k Squared | January 8, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

The free safety (FS) is responsible for reading the offensive plays and covering deep passes. Depending on the defensive call, the free safety may also provide run support.

The strong safety (SS) is usually larger than the free safety, and is positioned relatively closer to the line of scrimmage. While strong safeties play a pivotal role in halting the offense's running game, they are also responsible for keeping various receivers, especially tight ends, in check.

Posted by: Missy Wiki | January 8, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Because of the salary cap thing, I don't think that the Skins have any choice but to keep their present core.

Anyway, I think it is a better way to start picking up undevalued "sleepers" who might really be able to contribute. There are a whole lot of unrestricted agents that we wouldn't have to trade any of our picks for. As I said before, the best ones are ones with chips on their shoulders who have something to prove. (Like AA after he leaves here.)

Posted by: charlie | January 8, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Inevitable--what the hell do we need another fast, shortish receiver.

How about a D end that collapses the pocket, causes the occasional turnover, and puts a tad less pressure on our average secondary?

Bennett is nice and all, but they appear to have too much money tied up in a certain knucklehead, and once again, with the cap, cutting is not an option.

Again, I would steer clear of anyone who doesn't come from a playoff team or someone with a strong pedigree, i.e. Jason Taylor, if available.

Buffalo drafted a lot of secondary dudes last year, and being a small market, not about to overpay for Clements, when they have 4-5 guys waiting to step in. London Fletcher was good in St. Louis.....like 4 years ago. F him.

Posted by: k Squared | January 8, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Inevitable--what the hell do we need another fast, shortish receiver.

Posted by: k Squared | January 8, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Missy Wiki, thanks for the clarification. Based on those definitions, however, Taylor, Archuleta, and LaRon Landry are all strong safeties. On the roster, ST is called a free safety, but he plays the strong safety position described there. Ryan Clark used to call out the offensive stuff he saw.

Skins need the guy who can do what the definition says for free safety.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

K sqrd,
Marcus Robinson is still in the league? I'm not saying Bennett is good. I'm not saying we SHOULD sign Bennett (I'm just making a prediction... I'd prefer to go with Moss, ARE, and Thrash). But Marcus Robinson, really?
Take a look at this link and tell me who you think the Skins will sign in March:

Posted by: The Inevitable | January 8, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

This website is a more comprehensive list:

Posted by: T. I. | January 8, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

My wish list for cuts/releases:

Brunnell
Fueria?
Yoder
Koslowski
Buschetti
Joe sykes
Kenny Wright

These are the guys on our team (some of which are high charactor) that other personnel people refer to as the preverbial "just guys" label. Most of them could not make most NFL rosters yet some start and others play key roles on our team.

Posted by: Old School | January 8, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Sleeper pick:

Kelly Washington........

Posted by: 4th Floor | January 8, 2007 6:15 PM | Report abuse

"We do not need any receivers, unless they are tall and cheap"

Mike Hass, former Oregon State standout wide receiver; has great hands; won the Biletnikoff Award in 2005; listed as 6'0, 208. All he did in college was catch everything thrown in his direction.

Does not have great speed but always managed to get open. (Think "possession receiver", like Art Monk in his later years.)

Was signed by the Saints, but got beaten out by that Hofstra possible-ROY guy.

Last seen in Chicago, hanging around at the Bears practice facility.

Can probably be signed to a MINIMUM contract.

Posted by: Keyboard GM | January 8, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Cyn are you still in the office? I have the run down for you on Muscle Milk.

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

k squared

If you back to my earliest posts I have saying them same thing. It starts upfront,do what Parcells always does, recreate the past mold that was succesfull in his case (86 Giants) in ours 82/83 0r 91. Manley, Mann, Butz and Grant

Posted by: Old School | January 8, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

6'0" is not tall at all in the NFL.

But, Kelly Washington is 6'3" and simialar to Chris Henry.......

Posted by: 4th Floor | January 8, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

jm220,

Muscle Milk has already been covered quite enough today, thank you.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

T.I, thanks for the link. Lots of fun cruising these FA lists.

Blue Adams, CB, Buccaneers
love ya, Blue!

Rashad Bauman, CB, Bengals
why is this name so familiar?

Jamaal Fudge, S, Jaguars
who is even fudgier than Fudgems?

Coy Wire, S, Bills
Coy Gibbs, Coy Wire... will Koy Detmer be available? we could coyrner the market...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

T.I. nice link.

Inevitable, I looked at the list. Nobody stands out.

I do like what I saw on the D end side. Leonard Little and Justin Smith are unrestricted, but could help for sure.

Jared Allen is restricted, which means we probably have a shot. Giving up draft picks is part of signing a restricted free agent, which the Skins prefer to do.

Posted by: k Squared | January 8, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

T.I. nice link.

Inevitable, I looked at the list. Nobody stands out.

Posted by: k Squared | January 8, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Koy Detmer's wikipedia entry has already been updated to include a snarky reference to Romo's bad hold, in the context of Detmer's proficiency in this specialty. Wow. Talk about piling on.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

T.I. nice link.

Inevitable, I looked at the list. Nobody stands out.

Posted by: k Squared | January 8, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

jm220,

Muscle Milk has already been covered quite enough today, thank you.

Posted by: | January 8, 2007 06:31 PM

Fist smack to the back of the head for not using a name. (show some damn heart)
Cyn Cyty ask a question and I want to give her the facts! Just because something is package nice doesn't mean it's going to give you the results you want. And none of the other post gave her facts about the product other than the taste. Another smack to the back of your head just because I feel like laying the wood down on someone. (forgot to tell you Adam after some workouts you just feel like laying the smack down on people lol)

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

jm220, I hope you can give us a description of Muscle Milk devoid of any titillating language, something that will not lead to any double-entendres or sophomoric hijinks. Apparently there are some super-filthy minds up here.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

k Squared... good call on J. Allen and the skins giving up draft picks.

Posted by: The Inevitable (T. I.) | January 8, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Kelly Washington looks like he might be a nice addition to the Redskins, but:

1) He is a UFA, meaning he probably wants a bonus and a 4-year contract.

2) He is a 4-year veteran, so he has 4 years of injuries and NFL wear-and-tear.

The Redskins need CHEAP, hungry talent - and lots of it. That means little or no bonus, and a 1-year contract with an option. Too many "players" sign long term deals and then play at half-speed until their contract year comes around again. (Does your boss give YOU a 4-year contract and let you screw around for the first three years? Probably not.)

They Redskins need a possession receiver who can catch the ball dependably. And they will still need cap space to re-sign "core Redskins".

Danny Boy may have lots of money but Cap Hell is looming on the horizon. If the Skins sign UFA's this year, they will have to cut other players just to sign draft picks. Either start adjusting the roster now or live in the NFC basement until 2015.

The alternative will be to sign only undrafted seniors from the NCAA beginning next year.

Posted by: Keyboard GM | January 8, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Now stupid ass here are the facts about Muscle Milk.

32 grams of protein per serving.
13 grams of Carbohydrate per serving.

Both are very low if you are trying to build muscle. However it gives you alot of other vitamins. However, you not drinking it for the vitamins but for muscle build up.

Lean Body, Myoplex and Pro Com all gives you anywhere between 40-50 grams of of protein per serving and almost double the Carbohydrate. (you want a high Carbohydrate intake before your workout for energy) Lisa you stated you are drinking two a day. That is only giving you 14 more grams of potein for one servering of myoplex and lean body. My suggestion to you and Cyn Cyty is switch over to lean body or Myoplex. As far as taste you can mix it with other juices. I mix mines with orange juice.

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Predictions on the college championship tonight? I got a degree from UF, so am pulling for the Gators, but I don't think they can score enough points to keep up with Smith tonight.

Posted by: disappointed | January 8, 2007 7:02 PM | Report abuse

OSU-38
Florida-24

Hope it's closer than that... then again, I thought USC would rout Texas last year, so show what I know (which is zippy)

Posted by: JG | January 8, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2007 05:19 PM

My thoughts exactly

Posted by: TM | January 8, 2007 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, OSU hasn't played in 57 days. How dumb is that? Maybe the Buckeyes are so rusty that UF has a chance.

Posted by: disappointed | January 8, 2007 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Ohio native till I moved to MD in 2002. Go Buckeyes!!!!! O-H-I-O

42-38 Buckeyes

Posted by: calebt17 | January 8, 2007 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I got a rhyme that ends in a riddle
What's round on the end and high in the middle? O-HI-O!

OSU 35, UF 17

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Super-coyrniness
Are you shucking kidding me?
An earful from Nate

Posted by: MV Dame | January 8, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Emmitt Smith must have been the biggest 'Skins-killer of all time. I am having horrible flashbacks.

Posted by: disappointed | January 8, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2007 05:19 PM

You read it perfectly. Here's what his mom had to say yesterday on the family blog at donovanmcnabb.com:

"The win this week was great, and I could actually say that's what I wanted for Christmas," Wilma McNabb wrote. "Yes, now we have solidly beat the Cowboys with my son and without him. But I can hear you asking, mama McNabb, what are you really thinking? Well, here it is, the real deal. It's kind of bitter sweet for me, as my son, the quarterback, sits out on injured reserved watching the game during his rehab. I polled my family, too, and they feel the same. We want our team to win and even go to the Superbowl and win it in Miami, especially if they continue to play as they have. But oh oh, if they win the Superbowl without my son, what would be the real outcome with the fans? Will they crucify him? Maybe then the trade talks would begin. Off season madness, worse than last year's fiasco. But guess what, I guess I'll have to take the beating if it comes. I would have to hope that scenario of the madness would not happen or be that bad. Well, let's wait and see. Bitter sweet."

Posted by: LH | January 8, 2007 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I guess the Florida band doesn't know Stairway to Heaven. 33-14 Big Ten.

Posted by: SMACK | January 8, 2007 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyway, having said what I said Asante Samuel would be a great signing for us.

Has it already been said a hundred times here? (I haven't caught up on the blog yet.) I'm sure glad Tiki won't be around no mo' to terrorize the Skins.

Posted by: charlie | January 8, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

At least we'd get some use out of him. And you're right, he has the attitude to go with the position.

Posted by: Megskin | January 8, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Damn that was fast. Looks like a blow out

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

jm220, impressed that your workouts make you feel like laying the smack down on others. My workouts, it's me laying the smack down on myself and I don't like it.

Nate (and a couple of others), I think you and I are both on the same wavelength. Skins D-Line is average, its line backing core is average/below average with its hole in the middle, but its secondary is AWFUL!!! Biggest improvement the D could make is to find DBs (especially corners) who can cover something other than the far end of the bench. Not sure I'd blow all my dough on Clemens; think I'd look toward trying to find a couple of younger players and hope at least one guy panned out.

Peace out

Adam

PS Moving Springs to safety would make Double Move the Skins #1 corner. To quote John Cleese, "Are you totally deranged!?!"

Posted by: EaglesFan | January 8, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

JLA,

I agree with others that the Brunel scoot-n-shoot was a factor on the low sack totals. ALSO The sack stat means little when you lead the league in penalty yardage for most of the year.

Remember back to all those drives that were extended by penalties against the defense, face mask on Taylor, beathing on the QB by Marcus Wash. etc.

The turnover stat and scoring by the defense is more likely to lead to meaningful comparisons. The Skins stunk in both categories.

Posted by: Harbinger | January 8, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Did you see the article on redskins.com that announced Brunell's surgery?

It said he injured it in week 2 against Dallas. Then it goes on to say (with seeming pride) that he played through it.

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! One of the real reasons we sucked so bad was that EVERYONE knew that Brunell couldn't throw it long so they stacked the line. When JC comes in, the running game opens up because they have to respect the deep ball.

WHY oh WHY did Gibbs stick with an injured ancient veteran waaaaaayyyyy too long for the SECOND time in two years?

Posted by: 'canes fan (not Miami) | January 8, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

News & Notes: Brunell Has Surgery
By Gary Fitzgerald
Redskins.com

January 8, 2007

Quarterback Mark Brunell underwent successful surgery for a labrum repair in his left shoulder on Monday, the team has announced.

Brunell, who is left-handed, suffered the injury in Week 2 at Dallas. He was able to play through the injury for the next seven games...

Here is the excerpt. Just ridiculous.

JLaC -- this demands some explaining by the coaching staff.

Posted by: CMoney | January 8, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

What explanation were you hoping for? Someone with a *lot* of experience doing this decided that an injured Brunell gave the skins a better chance to win than Collins or Campbell. Never saw Collins, but from what I saw of Campbell, I can't disagree.
Not that I disagree with the decision to play Campbell once it was clear that the team was fatally flawed, but he has (even at the end of the season) a limited grasp of the offense and some physical idiosyncrasies that are ... troubling.

Posted by: cload and daggar | January 8, 2007 11:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm just waiting for someone to call Chris Samuels overrated, again.

Why he is the whipping boy of Skins fans who also drool(ed) over Patrick Ramsey I will never know.

Posted by: Jumpy | January 8, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

canes, CMoney, that is a pisser.

Since we all agree that having a chance to win every game is among our goals, Gibbs' stubbornly sticking with Brunell has been at least as infuriating as his (Gibbs') personnel mismanagement, which has short- and long-term ramifications.

Brunell's quarterbacking clearly was not giving us a chance to win every game. And if he were playing through an injury to his throwing shoulder for about half the season and remaining the starter, it's even MORE infuriating because of the instant spark that Soupy provided.

Lisa, trying to mind my Brunell-bashing here because I know it's not productive or constructive. But the sacks stats and now this injury/surgery news have refreshed my anger at his pathetic play, and at Gibbs for continuing to play him, for almost a season and a half.

Serenity now... serenity now...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Boy, did I call the national championship game or what? Look it up, I'm pretty sure I predicted UF in a blowout.

Oof.

Gotta like the big ol' upset.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 8, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

What a dull game. At least the Ohio State fan sitting next to me at the bar was hot.

Posted by: P Diddy | January 9, 2007 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Diddy, are you really not drinking, aside from those couple of doses the other night? How's it going?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 9, 2007 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Admittedly, I watched only one bowl game (Rose Bowl); but was there even one worth watching?

Take two teams that haven't played in over a month, slap them together in a party atmosphere, call it a 'football exhibition'; repeat 32 times.

Ugh.

Posted by: cload and daggar | January 9, 2007 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Come on, does it really seem fair that one school is the reigning champion of college hoops AND football? That's just selfish.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 9, 2007 1:11 AM | Report abuse

At the bar now. I assure you, I am drinking. Just not heavily Yet.

Posted by: P Diddy | January 9, 2007 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Uh, cload...Boise State vs. Oklahoma? The last 10 minutes or so (including OT) were probably the most entertaining 10 minutes in the history of football.

Fox Sports Northwest replayed it Sunday night...other regional sports networks may replay it as well. It's on my TiVo forever. Whenever I'm gloomy, I'll turn on those last few minutes, watch that hook and ladder and that Statue of Liberty, and I'll feel great about the world again.

Posted by: P Diddy | January 9, 2007 1:53 AM | Report abuse

>>> "That's just selfish."

Nate, UF has the best cheerleaders on the planet. If them winning national championships is the price to pay for more great UF cheerleader action, I'm all in.

Posted by: P Diddy | January 9, 2007 1:55 AM | Report abuse

I happened to turn on the Boise St. game with about 10 secs. remaining, saw the score and the OT; very entertaining. But I did not plan to watch it, it held no interest to me -- not that I thought it was going to be a blowout or anything, just didn't expect to see much worth paying attention to.

But I'll give you that 1/32 of the games were watchable. Next year, tell me which one in advance. The San Diego Teacher's Credit Union Fructose Bowl, no doubt.

Posted by: cload and daggar | January 9, 2007 8:30 AM | Report abuse

DA Bears better beat Seattle, than it will be smooth sailing from there!!!!

DA BEARS!!!!