Safeties coach Jackson retained by Shanahan

Longtime safeties coach Steve Jackson has been retained on new Coach Mike Shanahan's first staff.

"Yes, I'm back," Jackson said in a phone interview. "He [Shanahan] told me this morning, just about an hour ago. He really didn't go into too much detail about" Jackson's role on the reconfigured staff.

"There were other people that he had to speak with and give some information to. We just talked briefly and he said, 'Welcome aboard.' I told him whatever he needed me to do, in whatever capacity, I'm here and ready."

Offensive assistant Chris Meidt, the Redskins' de facto quarterbacks coach the last two seasons, and Scott Wachenheim, who just completed his first season as tight ends coach, were not retained, two people with knowledge of the makeup of Shanahan's completed staff said.

Of former coach Jim Zorn's assistant coaches, only Jackson, special teams coordinator Danny Smith and linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti were retained. Shanahan still plans to announce the hiring of other coaches.

By Jason Reid  |  January 19, 2010; 11:09 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gray accepts Seahawks job
Next: Redskins, Chris Meidt part ways

Comments

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Glad most of the old coaching staff is out, now time to clean house of old dead wood players!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 19, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 19, 2010 11:17 AM

Then they'll come after the old dead wood posters. Not you and me, of course. I mean the real dead wood around here like Diesel44.

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Tell Haslett to play him at SS.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 19, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Skins need the "world's greatest QB coach" for JC..
There was a time in the NFL, that Zorn had that reputation. I think JC killed that.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 11:17 AM

Jackson has made players out of Horton and Doughty, two UFA out of college with limited athletic abilities. I think he can coach, at some point it's on the player to step his game up.

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Whenever there is a new coaching staff and a general concensus that a major roster overhaul is needed, inevitably there are players moved that individual fans hate to see go...feeling that the new staff never had a sense of what the player's strenghts/upside were. This is probably a silly notion as the new staff has all the film and incentive to find them...but it's January and we're out of it. Who fits this bill for you?

For me, it's Chris Wilson. Greg Blache always said he liked him...and maybe he maximized his potential...but I don;t think so. Something tells me he'll be wearing Iggle green next season...and playing well.

Posted by: MColeman51 | January 19, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Well as much as I am scratching my head about this. I am more confused by the Bills hire of Chan Gailey... over Russ Grimm or Jim Fassel or hell Mike Tice, there are probably what 20 guys more qualified to be a head coach just hanging out there right now

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | January 19, 2010 11:31 AM

I hope not, especially if the Skins use the 3-4 with more regularity. Wilson started to look much better at LB towards the end of the year. He could be an effective contributor as a rush LB in 3-4 and situational DE in 4-3. Also Wilson was very solid on teams this year as well. I'm sure K.O and Smith will chat him up to Shanahan and Haslett.

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Something tells me there is no more than a handful of players who's potential was maximized by this coaching staff.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 11:41 AM |

Nobody else would take the job can you say 10th choice.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 19, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Gailey has never considered an egotists.. Pretty much a "company man" reputation.. ..
Maybe the Bills think, if Chan is struggling in 2010.. He would concede to Cowher coming in, in 2011.? Sorta hiring Cowher's staff, first.. Just a wild thought.. because I agree with your point... Why? When there are so many more qualified out there?
=============================

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 11:41 AM

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 11:41 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Kirk Olivadotti is a good coach, but this dude has outlived Marty, Spurrier, Gibbs, Zorn and now he's going to be on Shanahan's staff.

Posted by: tedunni1 | January 19, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 11:17 AM |

Stop playing him out of position. He doesn't have the cover skills to be a Free Safety and he hits like a truck, perfect for a Strong Safety.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | January 19, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

i kno this is off subject but if the redskins past on sam bradford im going toooooooo lose my mind this kid will be great trust me. i also think he can start right away

Posted by: Felz2o2 | January 19, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I think they way this has gone down is another sign that things are different at Redskins Park. if this were 5 years ago, Snyder would have hired a new head coach and fired everyone else. Here Shanny picks and chooses who to keep and the rest are gone according this his wants and needs. a much better way of doing business...

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | January 19, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

SkinsneedaGM,

Sadly I don't think thats it. I think that Ralph Wilson may be heading into Al Davis land. Flounders point backs it up. Buffalo is at a point where people wont take the job.

It is amazing to me as I think its not the worst gig in the NFL, I mean I would rather be head coach for Buffalo then for Jacksonville.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Felz2o2 | January 19, 2010 11:47 AM |

take your crazy talk elsewhere. we don't need some gimp shouldered, weak-armed Big 12 quarterback when we need linemen. we shouldn't draft a QB for 3 years. build the wall around a QB, then fill the position.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | January 19, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

At least the Jacksonville gig has a silver lining. They could retain you when they move to LA.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 19, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

SKINSneedaGM;JC didn't kill anything that Zorn hadn't already done by being in over his head as a head coach, you'll see a huge difference in Campbell as soon as they get him "NFL" type pass protection. Jim Zorn had no business being a head coach period he,along with Synderatto damn near got Jason killed, what JC accomplished (stat wise) is a minor miracle so i don't want to read anymore BS about JC this or JC that I'll tell all of you this the kid will win if Shannahan and Bruce Allen have a clue.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 19, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | January 19, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I will not accept another QB who played most his ball below the snow line!

DC football ain't supposed to be pretty, I want my QB to be almost as bad@$$ as the olinemen.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

At least its warm in Jax, usually. And when its cold in Jax, its lethally cold in Buffalo.

I really think that a lot of HC candidates wanted to wait for a better gig, or stay where they are.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 19, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 19, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

And Buffalo will be moving to Toronto soon enough to, and Toronto is a million times better than LA.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | January 19, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I will not accept another QB who played most his ball below the snow line!

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 11:55 AM

well, you got him in JC17.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | January 19, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I mean I would rather be head coach for Buffalo then for Jacksonville

First Buffalo, then Jacksonville... when do you plan to coach a real team? How many baby steps do you need?

Posted by: daggar | January 19, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | January 19, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------

You bring in linemen AND A QB, and they all learn to work the offense together in 2010. You don't sit on your hands until 2011 to add the QB, thereby delaying progress/chemistry for yet another year.

Say goodbye to your buddy Campbell; he isn't going to be here in 2010.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 19, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

well, you got him in JC17.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | January 19, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Thats why I said "another"

Playing in the south makes a player soft, and its fine if they stay down there or in a dome, but I just wouldn't trust them to play the game in 10 degree wether.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I would have been sorry to see K.O. go. His first few years, he was equivalent to an intern. He will continue to do well, IMO. But how the heck does Danny Smith stay on? This guy should have been replaced years ago.

Posted by: Md2CaliSkins | January 19, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Wow, gotta love how our old friend Norv chokes in the playoffs and instead of getting fired gets a 3 year extension. Cats would kill to have as many lives as this guy.

Dude must be boning A.J. Smith; Marty got canned for doing a better job.

Posted by: brownwood26 |

so funny and so true!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Is it normal to get a twitch everytime some one mentions Danny Smith *twitching* ?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 19, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Great news on Jackson. Maybe w/a competent DC, our safeties will be put in their correct positions.

Sorry to see Chris Meidt leave though. He made playcalling understandable to JC when Sherm started calling the plays and JC seemed to relate well to him. Wonder if that says anything about JC's status.

Oh well, I have already thrown my support for MS experience and expertise on all football related decisions.

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Say goodbye to your buddy Campbell; he isn't going to be here in 2010.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 19, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------

Yesterday you advocated Chad Pennington as a stop-gap replacement for JC.

Now you are suddenly concerned about delaying long-term progress chemistry.

NO OPINION FOR YOU! ONE YEAR!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 19, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Chan Gailey HC of Buffalo? Didn't someone post up here recently that good head coaches were easy to find?

My definition of a good head coach must be wrong...

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Danny SMith... ugh.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

None of these are Zorn Holdovers.

2 are Gibbs 2.0 Holdovers

1 canme in 2000 (K.O.)

All of Zorn's peeps were let go.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 19, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Danny SMith... ugh.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------------

*twitch*

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 19, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't get peoples objection to Danny Smith. I mean I stopped blaming him once I realized that Jim Zorn was forcing his personnel down his throat, and the time that Danny Smith started yelling at Zorn.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

how was that watching Romo get hammered?

Bradford sucks!
Campbell good!

A bunch of lineman coming out, again. This time.... No Vinny!

Anyone see Cody Glenn make ST tackle for the Colts? We all saw J Bridges and Suisham. Of course Prieliou for N.O. Am I missing anyone?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 19, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 11:17 AM

Posted by: TWISI
=======================================================

horton and doughty were both drafted by the skins... doughty in the 6th in 2006 and horton in the 7th in 2008...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | January 19, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Thats why I said "another"

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------

Oh really? Isn't Favre from Mississippi? I'd say that he did pretty well up in Lambeau Field and sucked in the Georgia Dome as a Falcon...

Posted by: arizona4 | January 19, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

me, I would have lost both Jackson and Gray. The secondary was a disaster this season, especially considering the combination of talent and experience back there.

Hall Landry and Rogers were all top 10 picks and in the prime of their careers. During the Vinny era, the Skins picked more DBs than OL+DL+LB combined.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: arizona4 | January 19, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Exceptions to every rule. I stand by my belief that cold weather makes you a better pro, hell it makes you a better human being.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

SMITH has got to go. Bring back RUSTY TILLMAN and MIKE NELMS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 19, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | January 19, 2010 11:46 AM |

He hits like a truck? How would you know? All he really does is woth and not wrap up. He's frickin' horrible.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 19, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | January 19, 2010 12:19 PM

I stand corrected. Yet my main point is still valid. Limited upside, yet coached up to be starters in the NFL.

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

*twitch*

When have we had good special teams under his watch, though? We haven't had good kickers, punters, returns, coverage, nothing. And we drafted a punter. That's a big phase of the game, and we just don't get anything out of it. This goes back to the Gibbs days, so I think it's time to try someone else out.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 19, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Don't know what good luck charms Olividetti wears, but dang, he has survived a lot of coaching changes

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

alex35332:

So now those who live in warm weather climes are lessor persons? Well, you do take bigotry to new heights. How about former friends who've moved south? What a mental midget.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 19, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm in the school that says we should not be drafting for a starting QB this year. Far too many holes to fill elsewhere on O and D.

This isn't going to get fixed in one year or one draft, and there is no guarantee that our top draft picks will all work out.

We absolutely MUST build a dominant O line, but we cannot do it at the expense of ignoring the D. We need a true FS, a shut-down type CB and ILB's.

So...it's gonna take a little while.

Posted by: edvar | January 19, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------

Ok, well, I guess Clausen could wind up being a better pro than Tebow, McCoy and Bradford...

...but I highly doubt that will happen.

Posted by: arizona4 | January 19, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I would like to know who is on the coaching staff

Posted by: wattsicon | January 19, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------

So Eskimo's are the pinnacle of human evolution? *Searching for flights to the Caribbean*

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 19, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't get the great reputation of Danny Smith and his retention. Our special teams have been abysmal for 5 years and any coach trotting ARE out there continuously on punt returns out to be summarily executed, not retained.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 19, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

*twitch*

Posted by: mattsoundworld

I'm neutral on Danny Smith. Not sure how much he is responsible for in terms of personnel. If it was his call to keep ARE returning punts, then I have no idea why he is still around. But I'm not convinced that Zorn gave Smith a lot of choices.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld

Look I am not going to disagree that we don't get much out of Special Teams and I agree to that it is as important as O and D. But I get the feeling that Smith was given jack s*** to work with, do we even know if he suggested them selecting a punter in the draft? I mean I would never do it myself, but I have to wonder if he made the recommendation.

I mean its not a game ender to me to keep Danny Smith on, or if we had replaced him. I just wonder how much say he had.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Thats why I said "another"

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------

Posted by: arizona4 | January 19, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

There was that other guy from the South that played up North and did pretty well, oh yeah. Bart Starr, that guy from Alabama.

To say playing in the south makes people soft is pretty funny. Ridiculously funny.

I guess Chris Samuels is soft, Sean Taylor was soft, Ray Lewis is soft, Ed Reed is soft, Favre is soft, Jared Allen is soft, Bruce Smith is soft, Patrick Willis is soft, Jon Beason is soft, etc.......

All players from the North have Hammer toes and I dont trust them to walk in a straight line. This is just as ignorant as players from the South are soft.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | January 19, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

McNabb already phased out?
12:08PM ET
Donovan McNabb | Eagles | Interested: Rams?, Panthers?, Jaguars?, Bills?, Redskins?, Vikings?, Browns?
Top Email
Hypothetical destinations for No. 5

* Depending on what Brett Favre does (we might not know until August, mind you), the Vikings might need a QB, given the Tarvaris Jackson-Sage Rosenfels tandem as an alternative.
* The Bills could use a veteran passer while they draft and develop their next franchise gunslinger. Same goes for the Rams (who might actually want Donovan's teammate).
* Jason Campbell might be back in D.C., but if not, it's a similar situation to Buffalo: The Redskins need a veteran as a stopgap while they develop the future franchise QB.
* The Browns have two unstable QBs, and their new GM was in Philly for most of McNabb's career.
* The Jaguars and Panthers both have some pieces in place but could use an upgrade at QB.

Have we seen the last game for Donovan McNabb in Philly? Howard Eskin of WIP in Philadelphia has reported that during the 2009 season, younger members of the Eagles' roster would go to Kevin Kolb for guidance instead of McNabb. This could be a sign that there is an internal sense that McNabb's time is running out with the franchise.

As we know, one possible trade partner is the Browns because czar Holmgren and GM Tom Heckert (until recently the Eagles GM) both prefer a West Coast Offense scheme. As Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer has noted, both McNabb and Kolb have contracts that expire after 2010, and Kolb is the cheaper option for the Eagles, which could mean McNabb will be the one who's traded.

No matter what, the McNabb speculation has been captivating given that he's provided identity to the Eagles' offense for so many seasons. While most trades are carried out with draft picks involved, speculation on McNabb could last beyond the draft according to NFL Insider Adam Schefter. On "Sunday NFL Countdown", Schefter said that McNabb has a roster bonus of $6.2 million that takes effect on May 5 (i.e. 05/05, which is apparently a coincidence), which means the Eagles could wait to shop him until after other teams have sorted out their situation a bit more in the draft.

Adam Schefter

McNabb trade rumors won't die until May 5

"Nobody can say where it is that McNabb will land, or even if the Eagles will trade him, but the timing of his roster bonus means that the issue will be debated from now through the draft."

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 19, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

STs have always had problems under DSmith, haven't they? Mediocre return averages on punt returns. Bad coverage. That's the kicker (pun, heh) for me.. how did you do at stoppin' them?

I'm happy with average returns if you make up for it in coverage. Plz correct if wrong, but we never really stuck folks on coverage. Missed tackles. Penalties.

...meh.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:02 PM

There are some pretty tough players coming out of American Samoa...

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Tell Haslett to play him at SS.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

My thinking exactly, Laron is out of position. Witness the bite, nay chomp on the double move - At SS he can turn those guys over - he's a player, play him in the right position.

Posted by: ElYeah | January 19, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

anyone see rivals.com college roster of the decade? Carlos Rogers made it.

C Rodge is fairly wee respected. Skins fans are harsh cause we suck, NOT Rogers fault.

Good ST requires depth, heck, we could barely field starters at OL and RB

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 19, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 19, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

HA!! Now that is funny, I have been to Alaska several times and if they are the pinnacle of what humans should be based on cold, we are screwed.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | January 19, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Landry made some comments that sounded a little Portis-esque at points this season, which made me believe Landry was walking all over his coach. Maybe this isn't on Jackson, but it didn't seem like he did much to correct Landry's deficiencies. I never really understood the relationship between Gray and Jackson. I think most teams have one secondary coach and they don't split the safeties and corners. Maybe Gray had the final say on players back there, and Jackson just had to go along with it. Don't know, but I wonder what they saw in Jackson that made them want to keep him.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 19, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

980 just said that Shanahan has hired Doug Burney (not sure on spelling) as the Dline coach who has been in Denver since 2002.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 19, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: arizona4 | January 19, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

The dumbest thing I ever heard......so no good pros out of Florida, Miami, USC, Texas, Alabama........I could go on......

Posted by: rupertpupkin | January 19, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that no one is attacking the "better human being" part of the argument. But then again how could they? Florida is in the south, right?

Posted by: mack1 | January 19, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 11:17 AM
=========================================
Hopefully with the new regime in place, he'll cut his a$$ and tell him that since he wants to hit something so badly, start with the pavement.

Posted by: clark202 | January 19, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 19, 2010 12:40 PM |

Don't see anyone with even a close name to that on Denvers coaching roster.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 19, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

JC could be a top 10 QB - statistically - with a good offensive line and a running game, given improvement in the receiving corps.

#10 ranked QB in 2009 is Warner.

Jason Campbell ranked #15, behind Orton, Flacco, McNabb and E.Manning.

Pretty sure we're going to see him come back for at least another year, barring the unlikely offer of a #2 pick - which could mean a QB in the first round and 2 second round OTs

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | January 19, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe so, but it also tends to make the women heftier and unattractive.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 19, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Off topic but its the offseason anyway, everyone should see Avatar. I just saw it yesterday. Granted the story won't surprise you, but the visuals will blow your mind. It's revolutionary. See it in imax or you'll regret it when it's gone.

Posted by: REXskins | January 19, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 19, 2010 12:37 PM |

What gives you the idea that either Jacson or Gray have any real say on who plays and how? Head coaches and coordinators choose the system, how it's run and who plays. All those other coaches do is teach the players how to run the system and plays that the HC and coords call. Stop thinking that cushions and such are position coaches fault.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 19, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"First question: What's Jackson going to do that he hasn't already done to bring out the best in Laron Landry?"

Trade him. :P

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 19, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Maybe so, but it also tends to make the women heftier and unattractive.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 19, 2010 12:45 PM |

Yea, ask the Scandanavians. Those tall blondes are attrocious.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 19, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"Well as much as I am scratching my head about this. I am more confused by the Bills hire of Chan Gailey... over Russ Grimm or Jim Fassel or hell Mike Tice ..."

Thought I saw an item yesterday that Grimm wouldn't schedule an interview . There's too many unknowns about what happens when Ralph Wilson is gone - where will the team play, who's going to be in charge - that makes it an unappealing prospect.

Posted by: zimbar | January 19, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

So far so good. It appears Danny Boy is hands off now and Mike is indeed building his staff as he sees fit - as should be. Full control - full accountibility - good start coach.

The roster adjustments will follow after the coaches are in place. I guess the coaches will all be locked in by weeks end and next week the battle plan issued.

Personally, I think JC will be back this year and hopefully Portis disappears. I think he's a huge locker room distraction, not much of a team guy and a loose cannon.

Really excited as this is the best organized start / transition I've seen for man years. A total house cleaning - loving it! Par-tees over ladies - time to get busy.

Any word on what's happening in the scouting department?

The draft should be very interesting this year - looking forward to it.

Go Mike and welcome to DC!

Posted by: timb7 | January 19, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

"Stop thinking that cushions and such are position coaches fault."

Posted by: scampbell1975

You are right. That is a direct reflection of scheme and not the position coaches. They are accountable for things like tackling though.

Posted by: dcwun | January 19, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Say goodbye to your buddy Campbell; he isn't going to be here in 2010.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 19, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse
Same ol', same ol', Mr. Red. You've said this before. Name names, or stop repeating yourself.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 19, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

say what you will about ARE, but JC returning couldn't have made the '09 skins good. And I don't mean #17, I mean the man upstairs. Who, after watching Minn Dal, I'm sure is up there.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 19, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

As much as Campbell regressed, Landry was the one who went backwards the most. So how do you retain the coach who can't get thru to the player?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Maybe so, but it also tends to make the women heftier and unattractive.

Posted by: zjfr2

have a drink and dim the lights

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Donovan Warren, DB Michigan
Damian Williams, WR Southern California
Mike Williams, WR Syracuse
Jason Worilds, DE Virginia Tech
Major Wright, DB Florida

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 19, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Must be the bang up job he did with LaSuck. I mean LaRon.

Posted by: Gweez | January 19, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Laron never should have been positioned at Free Safety. His natural talent is at strong safety, where he was drafted to play. I'm sure Steve Jackson will want to move him back. He should be one of the best strong safeties in the league next year. While we can never replace Sean, we do need to find a real free safety. Maybe Carlos can hold on to a few more INTs if he get's a better look at the balls as free safety...

Do you think we could swap CP back for CB?

Posted by: Chris_VA | January 19, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"I'm in the school that says we should not be drafting for a starting QB this year. We absolutely MUST build a dominant O......."
Posted by: edvar | January 19, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

That's it then. No JIMMY CLAUSEN or SAM BRADFORD in this draft. If it makes you feel good edvar, I agree 110%.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 19, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

The Redskin Employee who was the Best judge of talent in last year's Draft??
Not Vinny... it was....

Jason Campbell

========================================
Campbell Wants Out If Redskins Draft QB

By Jason Reid and Jason La Canfora
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, April 24, 2009

If the Washington Redskins select Southern California quarterback Mark Sanchez in tomorrow's NFL draft, starting quarterback Jason Campbell will request to be traded, NFL sources said last night.

Campbell, whom the team has tried to replace this offseason, has publicly taken the high road throughout Washington's pursuit of other players to potentially take his job, saying he is focused on leading the Redskins in the upcoming season. The presence of another young, starting-caliber quarterback such as Sanchez on Washington's roster, however, would spur Campbell's representative, Joel Segal, to contact the team in an effort to find a better situation for the four-year veteran, league sources said.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 19, 2010 12:47 PM
-----------------------------------------
I agree with scheme being the culprit for some of the secondary's deficiencies, but I recall a heck of a lot of bad angles, poor tackling, free-lancing and bites on double fakes. I don't think that had anything to do with scheme. Neither Jackson or Gray spent enough time working on the fundamentals with their players. I recall distinctly that Gray said they don't spend a lot of time on the fundamentals during the regular season. Again, I don't know if that was Gray's call or Jackson's call, but it was a bad call.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 19, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I think the exception proves the rule. Take people as they are, and quit trying to make them fit the mould you think is right. The beauty and strength of humanity is it's diversity. Embrace it.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 19, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"Declared underclassmen 53 in total"

Smart, Considering the NFL work stoppage (strike) in 2011. Alot of up front guarantees??

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 12:54 PM
----------------------------------------
I don't understand it. Must be something to it that we don't know about. That's why I questioned whether Gray was calling most of the shots...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 19, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:02 PM

There are some pretty tough players coming out of American Samoa...

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 12:32 PM
------------------------------------------
Yeah, but they ain't got nothin' on that Yeti guy from the Himilayas...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 19, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 11:20 AM

Deadwood was a quality show which HBO shouldn't have canceled. Other quality shows by HBO The Wire, Rome, Entourage, True Blood, Curb your Enthusiasm, & Flight of the Concords.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"Skins need the "world's greatest QB coach" for JC..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 11:25 AM"

Sounds like a great trade to me...make the deal ;P

Posted by: ThinkingMan | January 19, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Maybe so, but it also tends to make the women heftier and unattractive.

Posted by: zjfr2

Globally speaking I would just like to point at Russia and Norway and Iceland. But sure some times you get more meat on em, but not like the majority in the south are spelt.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

You forgot Carnivale.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | January 19, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Campbell regressed by setting personal bests in TDs, yardage, QB rating, and probably many others??

He even seemed to learn how to slide in the last 2 games, or at least fall down safely, or safer

How is having your best year a regression?? The team regressed NOT the QB.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 19, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 12:54 PM
----------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Look at the group and ask, who got better in '09?

Landry
Rogers
Hall
Horton
-- those are your 4 starters and its a 'NO' for all those guys. In fact, all 4 regressed.

Now look at the other guys
Smoot
Moore
Westbrook
Doughty
Tryon

Some guys did improve in there (Doughty and Tryon), but overall, not much.

So why retain any of the coaches when most of the players are regressing?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Alex,

I think living in the cold only makes one write better Emo.

hahahahahahaha

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

You forgot Carnivale.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | January 19, 2010 1:15 PM

Forgot about that one. Wierd and only lasted a season. I pretty much watch anything HBO puts on TV on Sunday night not named Big Love.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

How is having your best year a regression?? The team regressed NOT the QB.

Posted by: pabrian2003

15 INTs vs 6 last year. No late game comebacks despite several opportunities. He did much better late in close games in '08

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

granted the women from these areas can be beautiful.. (been there). But, they also reminded me of my cat... If I was dying on the floor, my cat would most likely just step over me and start looking for the next person that can open her cat food.
================================
Globally speaking I would just like to point at Russia and Norway and Iceland.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 1:13 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I think living in the cold only makes one write better Emo.

hahahahahahaha

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Only because they can wear the sweater-vests for more of the year.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

how good can JC be? Remember the 6-2 start in '08? That's how good he can be.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 19, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

You forgot Carnivale.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | January 19, 2010 1:15 PM

Rome jumped the shark after they killed off Julius Ceasar. What's Carnivale?

Other good HBO shows: Hung and Bored to Death. And, uh, The Sopranos. (Not to be confused with the Miami Sporanos.)

Posted by: skinfanman | January 19, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

How much of that has to do with Campbell vs the supporting cast. And the debate cycles....

around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

zest. '08 had a line and 2 pro bowl RBs, '09 no line no RBs

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 19, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

How is having your best year a regression?? The team regressed NOT the QB.
Posted by: pabrian2003

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 1:19 PM
=======================================

Jason's QB Ratings by Quarter from NFL.COM.
Also, consider how weak the 2009 schedule was the first 6 weeks.
(first two Quarters speak volumes as they are not including "mop up" stat padding when the opposing team is in prevent D.
(btw, according to NFL.Com Jason has never, in his career, had a come from behind victory in the 4th Qtr??)

2006
1st Qtr 69.8
2nd Qtr 85.5
3rd Qtr 109.6
4th Qtr 78.8
4th Qtr less than 7 minutes 61.0

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Maybe so, but it also tends to make the women heftier and unattractive.

Posted by: zjfr2

that is why gunny sacks and then paper bags (easier to carry) were invented

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 19, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

lmao @ Alex!

Yeh, can we puhleeze end the Soup debate?

Detractors: There are still question marks on his effectiveness. He could conceivably rise above... could...

Praisers: The man has shot himself and this team in the foot on MANY occasions. He could remain mediocre at best.

These are the facts. Lump 'em.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Finally a mock draft that's got it right!

DRAFT OKUNG

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 19, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Did Campbell regress?

Campbell, '08 vs '09
yards/attempt 6.4 to 7.1
% passes for TD 2.6 to 3.9
% passes for INT 1.2 to 3.0
sacks 38 to 43
4th quarter comebacks 3 to 1

of note, there were lots of chances for 4th quarter comebacks in '09. Campbell attempted 1 more pass in '09 than in '08. Though some may argue the point, I think its pretty clear the Skins played an easier schedule in '09.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

These are the facts. Lump 'em.

Lumpy Facts with some butter and gravy on them... Mmmmm.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 11:17 AM
=========================================

Posted by: clark202 | January 19, 2010 12:43 PM

Not sure he can do that. Is the pavement out of bounds?

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Concur, endorse, cosign. The most egregious special teams play in the NFL.. perhaps ever... the famous Swinging Gategate, was ALL on JZ. Smith bailed out Zorn on several occasions, saving him from attempted clock mismanagement. Perhaps Zorn's most moronic quote...and i admit that is a tough contest to judge what with so many stellar candidates... "I wanted Randle El out there".

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 19, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I was a big fan of 6 Feet Under as well.

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

lmao @ Alex!

Yeh, can we puhleeze end the Soup debate?

These are the facts. Lump 'em.
___________________________________________
Yes, but are these things true during the last 7 minutes of a game in a blinding hailstorm with the defense playing a two deep cover, the tight end in motion, and Zorn busy drawing up the next swinging gate play?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | January 19, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Finally a mock draft that's got it right!

DRAFT OKUNG

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 19, 2010 1:28 PM

Yeah...until you get to the 2nd round and we take Tebow.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm not going to argue that DSmith isn't better than JZ. My DOG is a better coarch than Zoron the Moron....

But that shouldn't give the guy a pass. His ST guys consistently do not cover the kick/punt.

AND

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 11:17 AM
=========================================

Perhaps take a trip to the other beltway to watch his brother play ball? I kiid, I kiid...

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

JohnD

...maps...

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I was a big fan of 6 Feet Under as well.

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 1:31 PM

Another one I forgot. Dexter's a quality program on showtime.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

How can the HBO talk go on this long without mentioning the re-broadcasts of Ricky Gervais (sp?) shows.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

CYE: "Your SJK is in the sink"..!!!!!

EPIC!

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Finally a mock draft that's got it right!

DRAFT OKUNG

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 19, 2010 1:28 PM

Yeah...until you get to the 2nd round and we take Tebow.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:33 PM |

Tebow will not be there in the second round so don't worry about that. Tebow will be a Jaguar with the 10th pick, they need to put buts in the seats and he can do that down there.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 19, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

strange regression..
JC's 1st Qtr QB Rating for the last 4 years??
To give JC the benefit of the doubt.. wonder if it is more reflective of the playcalling? Or, has the League just figured him out. Thus, this year the high percentage of attempts/ completions 10 yards of less (78%).

2006
1st Qtr 95.8 (Gibbs/Saunders)

2007
1st Qtr 79.6 (Saunders)

2008
1st Qtr 72.2 (Zorn)

2009
1st Qtr 69.8 (Zorn/Lewis)

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Rome jumped the shark after they killed off Julius Ceasar. What's Carnivale?

Posted by: skinfanman | January 19, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

It was actually on for two seasons. Should have kept it on. It was a darker series about a traveling Carnival, with some pretty interesting people.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | January 19, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Best HBO series: Eastbound & Down

Best non-HBO series: Party Down(Starz)

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 19, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Thought I would try to change the subject from the typical JC bashing/defending chatter and ask about any of the few UFA coming into this year. If the Cards don't use the fran. tag on Danby's this year, which is expected because third year of doing that would cost them $12 mil, do the skins try to pick him up? He plays in a hybrid 3-4, 4-3 defense. Does he come in with Rocky, London, wilson, orakpo and save a draft pick for O-line, CB, and maybe a DT? Just thinking

Posted by: PanteraCFH | January 19, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Team sport. Howmany times did he engineer a score in 4th Q, only to have other team drive for winning score.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 19, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

As for ending the JC debate, consider it highly unlikely

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

speaking of missing shows...
best BBC comedy gone MIA... "Little Britain".
====================================

Best HBO series: Eastbound & Down

Best non-HBO series: Party Down(Starz)

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 19, 2010 1:38 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

and if/when we draft a qb, i wouldn't mind taking McCoy in the 3rd round. One of the most important thing for a QB in WCO is accuracy. Colt had over a 70% comp. percentage last year. Take this year with JC at the helm, rebuild the Oline starting with Okung as pick, give the kid a year to learn the off., then put him in 2011 and let him get his feet wet

Posted by: PanteraCFH | January 19, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 19, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Please see the NFL.com contradict itself below......

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | January 19, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 11:20 AM

Deadwood was a quality show which HBO shouldn't have canceled.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:10 PM

Yes, my point exactly! I was concerned that I may have been too subtle.

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 19, 2010 1:37 PM

Yep, there already getting that #15 jersey ready.

I'd draft Tebow's girlfriend before him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Or a brief summary of that game......

Campbell appeared out of sorts with Zorn's West Coast attack in a 16-7 loss to the Giants, but he went 24-for-36 with no interceptions against the Saints. He completed his last eight passes as the Redskins (1-1) overcame a nine-point deficit with two touchdowns in the final 6½ minutes.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | January 19, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Thats why I said "another"

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse
----

Posted by: arizona4 | January 19, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

---
South turns out soft NFL players??!?!?

Single. Dumbest. Comment. Ever.

Besides Favre (already mentioned) you might look up where Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr, Peyton Manning, Joe Namath, Fran Tarkenton, and Johnny Unitas played college football.

Posted by: dragon2eden | January 19, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I didn't read all the posts - so forgive me if someone has already made this point.

Jason Reid - only four of Zorn's coaches were let go. The rest of the coaches let go were either Joe Gibbs' or Vinny Cerrato's coaches.

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | January 19, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PanteraCFH | January 19, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Great Point. Too bad we are no longer going to be running a West Coast offense.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Yep, there already getting that #15 jersey ready.

I'd draft Tebow's girlfriend before him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:46 PM

They, They're, their, there

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Tebow=John Krasinski/Carter Rutherford=Sammy Baugh

In useage only.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

NFL Totals attempts 7250 completions 4123 56.9
yards 51475 avg. 7.10 TD's 300 Int's 226 Career rating 79.9

Here is something for the stat geeks to ponder. These are the career stats of a HOF QB. JC has a higher rating, and yet he'll never be a HOF QB even as some of his most ardent supporters have stated. He's good enough et al.

John Elway is the QB btw.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 19, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I really need to invest more time and money in adding in sarkmarks to my comments, too bad they are PC only. As most people seem to take that southern QB thing really seriously. Let me explain to those of you who cant figure it out.

You are on a blog.

This is a redskins blog during the dead time for this team.

Take everything with a grain of sarcasm.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Best HBO series: Eastbound & Down

Best non-HBO series: Party Down(Starz)

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 19, 2010 1:38 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 1:44 PM

Kenny "freaking" Powers = Jared Allen

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

TebowGF=UshiDigart

...in useage only...

nyuk nyuk nyuk...

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

cant find the contradiction ref the saints game.. I do recall, though, the Saints had one day of practice and two thirds of their secondary were on IR.
Still a good game for JC.
==========================

Posted by: frediefritz | January 19, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Please see the NFL.com contradict itself below......

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | January 19, 2010 1:45 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I'd draft Tebow's girlfriend before him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:46 PM

Seeing her is why I would not draft the boy. Claims he is a virgin waiting till marriage. So if he is dating a girl that hot, either he is a boldfaced liar or insane.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

It's not enough to just compare some of JC's QB ratings side by side for 2008, 2009 or for any year. In order to make a point using those numbers, you would further have to break them down to also talk about whether the skins were behind, ahead, tied, etc. To say because he slipped in the fourth quarter in QB rating over a year, depending on the situation and play calling, his rating could be affected dramatically... Not saying it is, but also just pointing out they also could be.

Posted by: PanteraCFH | January 19, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm...knew that beantowngreg1 was down florida way this week, but where is RedDMV?

No way they are the same person right?

Just wondering...

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd draft Tebow's girlfriend before him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 1:46 PM

Can't draft girlfriends anymore. It's not like the old days. Girlfriends are free agents now -- free until you try to pay the bills for one of them, of course.

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Can we get another post please. This one is heading into JC stats debating hell.

Posted by: TWISI | January 19, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Part of my thinking on use of #4 pick. Look back at the last two years... samuels was hurt in game #5 this season, Game #12 last year. I remember a lot of stats last year showing how the O went all to he11 when CS got hurt, same thing this season. And assuming that CS retires, the LT selection becomes crucial to O. If we can get someone who might be in Cs's league, I think we have to commit our #4 pick as the best chance we will have to replace him.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 19, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

No way they are the same person right?

Just wondering...

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 2:00 PM

They're 2 different people and they're on a romantic getaway in the Poconos.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

TBowGF's Clvage=Virginity Maintenance

Srsly, who wouldn't end there?!?

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 19, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

No way they are the same person right?

Just wondering...

Posted by: Skins930

Shut your face...

Posted by: RedDMV | January 19, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

good point(s).. 4-12 is more important, overall.

Question... Who would be considered the best QB in football playing on an average or less NFL team?
Eli?
====================================

Posted by: PanteraCFH | January 19, 2010 1:59 PM |

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

They're 2 different people and they're on a romantic getaway in the Poconos.

Posted by: Diesel44

Romanticize these nuts in your mouth...

Posted by: RedDMV | January 19, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

good point(s).. 4-12 is more important, overall.

Eli?

Eli sucks!

Posted by: frediefritz | January 19, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Is that how you wooed him?

Posted by: daggar | January 19, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 19, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Consider the 9-7 record that equals out to with CS and the 3-13 with out him.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Red, it was feeling too much like church in here.

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Draft Tebow with the 4th pick and put his girl friend on the cover of the cheerleader calendar.

Posted by: coparker5 | January 19, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Nothing really to talk about today... You all are Campbell debating again, and it gets old... Also, I've been giving Cowboy fans DA bizzness all day at work...

I went 1-3 this weekend. The only game I picked right? Vikes OVER Cowboys!!! Got to witness classic Favre with his celebrating after TDs and ANOTHER Dallas choke/tank job -- Epic sh*it!!!

Posted by: RedDMV | January 19, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

How about Dan Marino

Posted by: frediefritz | January 19, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 19, 2010 2:10 PM

Aaron Rodgers, Ben Rothlisberger, or Matt Schaub.

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

just kiddin' 930 and Diesel....

Posted by: RedDMV | January 19, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

cant find the contradiction ref the saints game..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

NFL.com said Campbell had never led a 4th qtr comeback. I provided a link from their own site showing he did in fact lead a come from behind victory.

Unless "frediefritz | January 19, 2010 1:42 PM" lied about seeing on NFL.com

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | January 19, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Romanticize these nuts in your mouth...

Posted by: RedDMV | January 19, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Eli sucks!

Posted by: frediefritz | January 19, 2010 2:10 PM

Maybe, but I don't think he would suck Red.

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Unless "frediefritz | January 19, 2010 1:42 PM" lied about seeing on NFL.com

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | January 19, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Elaborate lie to put up a dummy site that looks like an NFL.com page.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Showtime = Dexter, Weeds, The Tudors and United States of Tara

all excellent

Starz has Spartacus - Blood and Sand starting Friday

HBO - The Pacific starts in March. The Marine version of Band of Brothers

Now if any network would like to sponsor my DirecTV bill please contact me

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 19, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

soups inability to consistently read a D and throw the ball on time have greatly contributed to DC winning 35% of the 51 games he has stared. Since the QB's under contract are Colt and TC, perhaps the QB discussion should focus on which one of them will start until someone else is signed....

Posted by: Realness1 | January 19, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Californication is good too

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 19, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

So true ... so here goes.

In 2008, Campbell had a 90+ rating vs teams rated below 3rd in team defense. He played 6 games vs teams in the top 5 in team defense.

In 2009, he played no games against in the top 5 in defense -- and 6 games vs teams ranked in the bottom 6.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

uTorrent has all of these shows... for FREE!!

============ ^ ==============
Showtime = Dexter, Weeds, The Tudors and United States of Tara

all excellent

Starz has Spartacus - Blood and Sand starting Friday

HBO - The Pacific starts in March. The Marine version of Band of Brothers

Now if any network would like to sponsor my DirecTV bill please contact me

Posted by: noonefromtampa

Posted by: REXskins | January 19, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Californication is good too

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 19, 2010 2:24 PM
==================================

Yes, forgot that one

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 19, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 19, 2010 2:10 PM

Working out a statline on that. Give me a minute

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Shout out to zcezcest1 for submitting the Campbell post that broke the blog's back.

When I'm not being tickled by his rating in the fourth quarter with seven minutes or less remaining and how it compares to other QBs, I'm always an ol' bama ass sucker for his "35%" career winning percentage....

But that sh*t doesn't get me going anywhere near as an old "Todd Ball" debate.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 19, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

No doubt that JC will benefit from the new coaching staff, their scheme and play calling.

What makes it hard for me to get behind JC are plays like the pump and go to Moss that he checked down and threw behind ARE; throwing away a 4th down pass; throwing a hail mary out of bounds; throwing a lateral to a wide open receiver into the stands.

These types of plays are hard to explain away IMO and make it hard to believe that JC w/the new coaching staff will be better.

Having said that, I will fall back on my new mantra, In Shanny I Trust!

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

just kiddin' 930 and Diesel....

Posted by: RedDMV | January 19, 2010 2:17 PM

Just trying to bring you out of your hiding place. I thought maybe you were serving a 2 day suspension.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Having said that, I will fall back on my new mantra, In Shanny I Trust!

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Perfectly said and what I've been saying since Shanny got hired. IMO if JC wasn't a first round pick by Saint Joe he would have gone the way of Patrick Ramsey (a first round pick by idiot Steve) two years ago. The frequency of bonehead plays and just terrible decision making by JC is alarming, especially considering 50+ starts under his belt at this point. But like I've said, in Shanny I trust and I'm on board with whatever he decides.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 19, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

There are two types of good NFL QBs

one who manages the games well, makes the right throws and their team wins games

two the gunslinger types who lead their to victory from almost any situation

Campbell is a type 1 QB, he will never be a type 2

Think Billy vs Sonny or Monatana vs Elway

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 19, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

If you look at QB ratings, Jason Campbell is 15th in the league. Of the 14 guys with higher ratings, four played for teams that didn't make the playoffs: Rothlisberger, Schaub, Eli Manning, and Orton. Jason's team was 4-12. The worst record of the other four teams was 8-8, Giants and Broncos.

If you look at teams with worse QB ratings, only two made the playoffs -- Cincinnati (Carson Palmer was right behind JC) and NY Jets (Sanchez was 28th).

I conclude that it wasn't JC's fault that we didn't make the playoffs. I put it on coaching -- I'm sticking with "Skins would have gone 10-6 with this roster and Shanahan as coach last year."

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Anyone here see "Book of Eli"

Is it "I am Legend" except with Denzel instead of Will Smith?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 19, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 2:49 PM

Are you saying that Vinny was right and that he put together a playoff roster?

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

So here are where all the QB's rank by QBR vs where their teams rank by W/L. Note I used the top 32 guys on the NFL's site which ends up being 1 starter per team.

The worst QB on the best teams would be arguably, Carson Palmer, Matt Ryan or Mark Sanchez.

On the question of who the best QB on a Average team was the answer would be Big Ben the no 5 QB in the league and a 8-8 team.

The Best QB on the worst team would be a tight race between Jason Campbell or David Garrard.

*- Indianapolis Colts, 14-2, .875| 6. Peyton Manning, 99.9
Kansas City Chiefs, 4-12, .250| 25. Matt Cassel, 69.9
Washington Redskins, 4-12, .250| 15. Jason Campbell, 86.4
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 3-13, .188| 30. Josh Freeman, 59.8
Detroit Lions, 2-14, .125| 29. Matthew Stafford, 61
St. Louis Rams, 1-15, .063| 24. Marc Bulger, 70.7

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Anyone here see "Book of Eli"

Is it "I am Legend" except with Denzel instead of Will Smith?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 19, 2010 2:50 PM

That was yesterday's discussion. Romolongballs rated it slightly better than JC17 but not as good as Rivers. He said it was a McNabb.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Anyone here see "Book of Eli"

Is it "I am Legend" except with Denzel instead of Will Smith?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 19, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Dude, how the F-- do you get a bad "vampire" flick from those previews??

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

When was the last time this happened to a Redskins?

=============

Former Panther Rinehart arrested in Cedar Falls

CEDAR FALLS - A player for the Washington Redskins was arrested early Monday outside a College Hill tavern.

An officer with University of Northern Iowa police arrested Chad Martin Rinehart, 24, for misdemeanor public intoxication.

According to court records, the UNI officer noticed Rinehart attempting to enter Mojo's Pizza House on West 22nd Street at about 2 a.m.

The officer asked Rinehart for his ID and noticed the odor of alcohol on his breath as they talked, records state. His eyes were bloodshot, and he was swaying, records state.

Rinehart declined a breath test and was taken to the Black Hawk County Jail. He was released a few hours later on a promise to appear in court with an arraignment date set for February.

Under the conditions of his release, Rinehart needs permission of the court to leave the state of Iowa.

Rinehart is a Boone native who lists his current address as Ashburn, Va. He played for the University of Northern Iowa, and the Redskins picked him up in the 2008 NFL draft.

He is listed as 6 feet 5 inches tall, weighing 310 pounds.

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Dude, how the F-- do you get a bad "vampire" flick from those previews??

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

How are they not similar?

Post-Apocalypse type setting...check
main character is being hunted...check

Replace the zombies with regular bad guys and it looks like the same plot.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 19, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Are you saying that Vinny was right and that he put together a playoff roster?

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 2:52 PM

That isn't what Vinny said. He made a stronger claim -- that he put together a Super Bowl roster. I think it was a playoff roster, and I don't think Vinny was right. But it definitely wasn't a playoff caliber coaching staff.

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 19, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Campbell, or no Campbell? I don't care anymore. Shanahan will do what it takes to win and he has already said he cannot win without an offensive line and running game, so he'll start the reconstruction there. Campbell can win in a run first offense. More than half of the QB's in the league can win with a run first offense, so this is not an endorsement of Campbell, but rather an endorsement of Shanahan's system. Now, who will be the offensive line coach???

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 19, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 3:02 PM

Not sure what crime he committed, that's an every night occurrence at college park.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

alex..thanks for the data.. I would agree campbell and garrard stand out as "best on the worst". JAX does have better OLine talent than Skins.
When GMs consider how poor Campbell's OLine was/is, he may surprise everyone by getting a better RFA offer than Orton even though they have been ranked the other way around on most RFA analysis boards.
==================================

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 19, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

It may have been a playoff roster if everyone stayed healthy, but when your start 6 different right guards, cycle through 5 tackles, 4 running backs, and have Jason Campbell as your QB you aren't a playoff caliber roster no matter who the coaches are. Healthy it was a maybe 9 win roster, but even with the injuries it should have been a 7 win team.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 19, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

dont know.. but I like him more now.. He is heading in the 5 o'clock club Honorary Hog direction..
========================================

When was the last time this happened to a Redskins?

=============

Former Panther Rinehart arrested in Cedar Falls

He is listed as 6 feet 5 inches tall, weighing 310 pounds.

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

arrested for public intoxication...??

Wouldn't this mean 90,000 fans could be arrested every sunday at FedEx Field.??

I think it could be some small town jealousy of a local guy who was making millions in the NFL?
===================================

When was the last time this happened to a Redskins?

=============

Former Panther Rinehart arrested in Cedar Falls

He is listed as 6 feet 5 inches tall, weighing 310 pounds.

Posted by: Skins930 | January 19, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 19, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Allen and Mr. Shanahan, PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE draft offensive linemen! PLEASE! That is what the Redskins need to become good again! PLEASE! If you draft them wins will come!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 19, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse