Safety Lendy Holmes among cuts

The Redskins will release their short list of cuts later today, and when they do, safety Lendy Holmes' name is expected to be on it.

Holmes' fate was essentially sealed when the team signed free agent Tyrone Carter on Aug. 23. Holmes, who is entering his second season, was listed among the third-stringers on the most recent depth chart at strong safety. With LaRon Landry expected to start, Carter likely will be the second-string strong safety. Carter is familiar with the position and the defensive scheme, having played the previous six seasons in Pittsburgh, where the Steelers ran a similar defense.

While Kareem Moore heals, Reed Doughty and Chris Horton appear to be the favorites for the free safety position.

Holmes, a University of Oklahoma product, was waived at the conclusion of training camp in 2009. He was signed to the practice squad the next day and was added to the 53-man roster in November 2009. He appeared in eight games last season, mostly on special teams, posting six tackles.

With Malcolm Kelly on the injured reserve list, the Redskins are expected to announce three more cuts, in addition to Holmes, to trim the roster to 75 players.

By Rick Maese  |  August 31, 2010; 2:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins will place Malcolm Kelly on injured reserve
Next: Edwin Williams, James Dearth to be cut from roster

Comments

And there is my five Safeties from my roster prediction. Once Moore is healed, move one out (Horton IMO)... and bring in where you need depth elsewhere... Maybe WR like Banks....

Posted by: Zeebs1 | August 31, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

This was one of the only actual FS we had on the team.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 31, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

1st casualty

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 31, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I pooped my pants.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 31, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

In regards to MK12, why are so many people
a) Upset that they don’t “just cut him now”, or
b) Upset that other people are so cool with him going on IR?

What’s wrong with keeping him around to give him a shot next year? They aren’t guaranteeing him a spot on the final roster, there’s no cap ramifications, obviously Shanny sees something in the guy, no one else has to get cut to put him on IR….Were some of you hoping to be on the 80 man camp roster next year?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 31, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Losing Lendy Holmes isn't a surprise. By the way, Ross Tucker is predicting on SI.com that the Skins will go 10-6. He sees all four NFC East clubs as playoff-caliber. Wish I was that optimistic -- I tend to see the flaws in all four.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

As far as Kelly, I don't see a reason to give up on the guy yet. It's not as if there's a better WR crowding him out. The problem is he's just not on the field. To me, it's more about unfortunate timing.

As Shanahan noted, they can still cut him after he's healthy again, should they want to. But this is a guy who could conceivably have some value in trade, if not this season then next.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I'll jump on that grenade, haze. Folks don't want to be reminded of Snyderrato's tenure. Actually, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I don't think it's necessarily personal, but there certainly isn't much hope tied to that draft class, especially those receivers.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 31, 2010 3:00 PM

It's Vinny backlash. Next year is the final year for MK's rookie contract. If he's not on the field, or if he's not very good he will be cut.

Posted by: TWISI | August 31, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

that means rookie fs russell anderson could end up on the practice squad

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | August 31, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Haze, who gives a sh!t if Kelly is put on IR it means nothing.

They will take a look at him next year and if he gets hurt again they will cut him, if he can play then fine.

Posted by: Flounder21 | August 31, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Kelly is what he is: INJURY PRONE

Deal with it.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 31, 2010 2:42 PM

He is who we thought he was.

Sincerely,
Denny Green

Posted by: HokiesSkins | August 31, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Kelly is what he is: INJURY PRONE

Deal with it.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 31, 2010 2:42 PM

He is who we thought he was.

Sincerely,
Denny Green

Posted by: HokiesSkins | August 31, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2010 3:05 PM

Call me crazy Dik, but I REALLY hope that DT11, MK12, FD86 all turn into great players. Just because I don’t like how Vinny “ran” things, doesn’t mean I don’t want to see success from anyone and everyone on the roster, especially high draft picks. To not hope a player blossoms because of who drafted them seems very personal and rings of a “hater” mentality.

PS – Cerrato drafted Orakpo.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 31, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

And Horton and Sleepy Davis ('09's only bright off. spot). I didn't say it was logical... lol.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse