Samuels addresses injury and the future

In an appearance with teammates and owner Daniel Snyder at the Redskins' annual Thanksgiving food giveaway at FedEx Field, Chris Samuels spoke of his injury and his future in football.

Samuels suffered a neck injury Oct. 11 in the Redskins' loss to Carolina and his condition, further complicated by stenosis, caused him to be placed on injured reserve Oct. 31. Although he has not announced his retirement, Samuels, league sources have said, will not play again.

"I really don't know at this point. It was a pretty bad injury, stenosis is something I've been dealing with for years, so we'll have to sit back and wait and see," Samuels said. "I'm definitely optimistic about it. However it unfolds, I know the good Lord will take care of me, so I'll be happy with it. ..... I have to wait and see the doctors, so it'll be a few months, and I'll sit back and pray about the situation and make a great choice."

He was philosophical about his future after football, while insisting that he has made no decision.

"I'm not scared at all. I mean, I've had a blessed career, I played 10 years, I've been playing this game a long time," Samuels said. "It'll definitely be different, it'll be a little hard, but I'll make it. I mean, football is just something I did for a living for a while, it's not something that defines me."

[Editor's note: Dan will have more on Samuels' comments later. He's assigned to coverage of the death of Abe Pollin now.]

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 24, 2009; 6:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis on concussion, playcalling, team's heart and soul
Next: Snyder reminisces about Pollin

Comments

Ugh... tough day for DC sports...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 24, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Samuels and Pollin are two of the classiest guys we've had here in DC. Both have led blessed lives and have shared their blessings by giving to others.

Posted by: League-Source | November 24, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Samuels played 10 years and went to 6 pro bowls. This was a mountain of a man and I wish him the best.

Now it's time to draft the next Chris Samuels. Maybe it's Okung.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Portis is definitely one of the problems because of his diminished abilities, the inability to finish the last few seasons, his lackadaisical approach to preseason, training and practice that sets a bad example and creates a double standard, the way he's thrown his own O line under the bus to explain his poor performance, the ridiculous contract, and the relationship he has with Snyder that undermines and allows him to second guess the coach.

No single instance is so intolerable, but when viewed in its totality, you can see that he draws a lot of attention, and not much of it in a positive light.

Posted by: edvar | November 24, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

that's fair I guess. I wish he practiced more but I think he's really been hurt. JReid and JLa swayed a lot of people into assuming he's a prima donna bc they dislike him.

As for relationship w owner I think that's more JReid spin. If CP has snyder in his hip pocket and is criticizing his oline, why is snyder ignoring the oline in the draft??

As for the sellers argument, that was behind closed doors and shouldve never made it to our ears. Players have a right to try to address problems internally. Whoever leaked it is to blame.

Last thing: why do people want Campbell screaming at linemen on the sidelines to "show some fire" but when portis says anything about them he's disloyal?

Posted by: AdamCr | November 24, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

AdamCr--Several times Portis has said that "Snyder loves me" and other comments. Also Snyder has allowed him to go on ESPN 980 to trash the coach. His poor attitude, demanding that other players be removed from games, and mediocre return on the investment for what his contract costs convinces me that the Redskins need to cut their losses and get rid of him in the offseason.

Portis creates a toxic environment in the lockerroom. Through Snyder's enabling he also undermines the coach. How can a coach control the team when upper management constant allows one player to undermine him in public? What message does it send to the other 52 players to see one player receive so much favoritism from the owner? What message does it say to players with lesser salaries who work harder but get little recognition?

Regardless of the hit against the salary cap (if it still exists in 2010) or the cost to get rid of him the Redskins would be doing themselves a great favor if they cut Portis or traded him away. He is a major problem that has already brought the team down.

Posted by: jiacinto | November 24, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

is Portis getting dogged allow me to respond.

haters hate the best, because hating the worst serves no purpose.

Did you notice that Yoder and Sellars switched positions in goalline? hmmm?

I must agree that if Portis had any say we'd be drafting O line, as many fans who think he only cares about HIS stats, then logic would dictate HIM telling Danny to get run blockers.

woops, i used logic

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 24, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

"Bottom lines of bottom lines: to field a deep into the playoffs winner as quickly as possible 3 components are needed.

1. An offensive line.
2. A set of quarterbacks and a decent offensive system.
3. A defensive backfield upgrade."

this is my fave today, because it's crazy and uses a previously unknown method of counting

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 24, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

If Campbell gets a good offer elsewhere, we should out bid that offer, because... every other teams GM is smarter than ours.

Collins will retire, right? Brennan has had an injury to both hips in as many years w/o a single reg season snap. Behind our line he's done before he starts.

So, even if we draft a QB AND get a free agent, not having Campbell for competition would be absolutely idiotic, so that is what we will do then.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 24, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 24, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Samuels was good - not quite Jim Lachey good - but close.

Loved the red on red uniforms Sunday - maybe skins could experiment some with yellow/gold part of their color scheme. maybe yellow on yellow with burgundy striping and numbers. or just go retro with the spear-helmet uniforms

Posted by: coparker5 | November 24, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I will say this....Chris Samuels was the best draft pick the skins have made in about 15 years. I love it when athletes get it. He knows he won't do this forever and is comfortable with the transition.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | November 25, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse