Samuels Faces 'Long Hard Recovery'

Jason La Canfora reports:

Tackle Chris Samuels said he expects to be out at least five to six months as he recovers from surgery last week to repair a right triceps that was 50 percent torn.

Samuels, who hopes to be cleared for full contact by the start of training camp, said, "I've got a long, hard recovery."

He added that he is hopeful about his elbow recovery and said the injury was not nearly as severe as the tear Randy Thomas suffered last year.

Samuels, who had been bothered by knee problems, also underwent arthroscopic surgery on his knee, a more routine procedure to "clean up" a cartilage problem, he said. It is however, the third 'scope of his knee.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 17, 2008; 12:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: An Unrestricted View on Zorn
Next: Kendall Hopes to Remain a Redskin

Comments

Posted by: Zeebs | December 17, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins make the playoffs if:

They win their two remaining games.

The Bucs*, Falcons, and Eagles lose out, and the Bears lose at least one of their remaining two games.

The Redskins get in by virtue of a better conference record than the Falcons, Bears, and Eagles (and the sweep against Philly).

---------------------------------

"With the Bucs, both the Skins & Bucs end up with 8-4 conference records, so I think the next tie-breaker is common opponents? I haven't dug that deep yet."

We defeated the Lions, so have they. We're 1-1 against Dallas, they're 0-1. We're 1-0 against NO, they're 1-1. We win that tiebreaker.

Posted by: psps23 | December 17, 2008 12:16 PM |
-------------------------

So there it is. Keep hope alive.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 17, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

There is a problem with this playoff hope everyone is holding on to. if the eagles lose out then that means dallas didnt lose out because they play each other in the last week. so they both cant lose.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | December 17, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

No to diss, but:

Today's hypothetical BS:

The Redskins make the playoffs if:

They win their two remaining games.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Great. Can't wait to see him get bullied again next year and make another undeserved Pro Bowl.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 17, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

great,

Don't say everyone, I know this team has no shot at the playoffs and doesn't deserve it anyway.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I've always wondered how a guy recovers from two surgeries at the same time. I've had my acl done twice, and I can't imagine having to do rehab for a torn triceps AND my knee at the same time (although I realize a scope is much, much less invasive). Between crutches, balancing yourself, getting up out of chairs and beds, and bracing yourself during parts of rehab, your arms are a huge part of recovery.

We'll need a healthy Samuels next year. Hope his recoveries go well.

Posted by: psps23 | December 17, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato has got to go. Can Daniel Snyder,not see the forrest for the trees?
The best thing would be for them to lose the 2 games left,realize a change is in order and get serious about what needs to be done to be able to compete.

Posted by: ridgely1 | December 17, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

That's not good news to hear about Samuels... That is a long a$$ recovery for a torn triceps... I would have figured 3-4 months, MAX.... not 5-6. My gosh!

Posted by: EinVB | December 17, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

hey hey ho ho cerrato has gotta go!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Zeebs, thanks for posting the link, but you don't need a third party to explain the ineptness of Cerrato.

His body of work speaks for itself - the proof is in the pudding.

I would detail the path of destruction he created, but I'd look at that, think why was he ever hired in the first place - why does he STILL have a job, think about who owns the team, and get angry all over again.

It's a vicious cycle.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Found this in ESPN:
Guys name is Michael Oher out of Ole Miss
they have him ranked as 3rd best Offensive Tackle (20th OVERALL) coming out of the draft

Michael Oher 6'5" 330lbs.

Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average
3 = Average 4 = Below average
5 = Marginal

Production 1 Has started 34 consecutive games during his first three seasons (2005-'07), including the last 24 games at left tackle

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Height and top-end speed are adequate but not ideal for the OT position. Is well-proportioned for his frame

Durability 1 Has not missed a game through his first three seasons (2005-'07) at Mississippi

Character 2 'The Blind Side: The Evolution of a Game' is a best-selling book that chronicles the life story of Oher, who grew up as one of 13 children of a drug-addicted mother and had limited formal education prior to signing with Ole Miss in 2005
Offensive Tackle specific Traits

Strength/Toughness 1 A well-proportioned OT with strong arms and hands. Outstanding lower-body strength, as well. Flashes a mean streak

Agility 3 Shows adequate initial quickness when moving forward. Plays with adequate leverage and stays balanced. However, he is not an elite athlete for the position. The more space he's in the less effective his play becomes

Awareness 3 Has great experience at college football's highest level but he's still a work in progress. Generally knows his assignments but will be late picking up the blitz at times. Occasionally seems to be thinking rather than reacting

Pass Protection 2 Uses long arms and strong hands to force rushers wide. Plays with a wide base and is very effective anchoring versus the bull rush. Occasionally mixes in a very effective cut-block. However, he lacks ideal quickness in his deep set and will have trouble versus elite speed rushers in the NFL.

Run Blocking 1 Is thickly built with a wide base. Takes solid angles and wins nearly every battle once locked on. Works to sustain; drives his legs and generally gets a good surge. Range as a second-level blocker is adequate but not ideal

Posted by: dspinx | December 17, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins make the playoffs if:

They win their two remaining games.

---------------------------------

Posted by: psps23 | December 17, 2008 12:16 PM |
-------------------------

So there it is. Keep hope alive.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 17, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Amen brother. DC's in it until they're not. Tune in this weekend to see if they're still alive by Tuesday!

Posted by: Realness1 | December 17, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Oher will be the first Tackle taken in the draft probably the second pick we have no chance at him.

He is a good player however.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

At this point, watching this team for the last few weeks, why would you WANT to see them in the playoffs? Do you think they would have a shot at beating Arizona or either TB/ATL/CAR? Why would you want to see THAT offense take the field in a playoff game?

I just don't see the point in "just" making the playoffs if its basically known that you're all but one and done anyway.

Sit it out, get a decent draft pick (top 16), and replace these OLD and past their prime veterans on the team - instead of squeezing a "push" out of them every season.

Let them lie in greener pastures.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

So there it is. Keep hope alive.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 17, 2008 12:25 PM

To bad the coach knows nothing of this 'hope' you speak of.........

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 17, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

to all skins fans, you're wasting your energy with the franchise util Snyder hires a respected general manager. until you see that, you're going to waste another 10 years of your life. focus you're loyalty to the Caps, at least they figured out you have to build from within and thru the draft. they've just started a multi-year run at the stanley cup that should last at least the next 6 years. hail to the redskins but the owner is a jerk.

Posted by: Caps09 | December 17, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

dspinx

I'm not liking the fact Oher slow to pick up the blitz and not quick enough to stop elite edge pass rushers.

Posted by: TWISI | December 17, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Red,

I agree 100% this team does not deserve the playoffs they stink.

They backed into the playoffs last year with a weak 9-7 record and got stomped by Seattle.

I wish they had'nt made the playoffs last year then maybe this team gets blown up last off-season.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GreatOne1 | December 17, 2008 12:32 PM |
----------------

The Redskins don't need Dallas to lose at all under the above scenario.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 17, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Hating on an old beat up warrior like Samuels I find nauseating. Dude gives it his all, played through sick injuries and has been a been a very good redskin for a long time.

Godspeed in your recovery #60

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I love the Caps, don't have to convince me!

Oher is beast, Blind Side rulz. We have no shot at him.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21

Backed in is not the correct term. Stole the wild card would be a better assessment. Backed in implies being in a playoff spot, losing out, and only making the playoffs because other teams couldn't capitalize.

Stole implies that everybody counted the Redskins out, until they went on a run and beat 4 playoff contenders in a row.

Just my opinion, but I'm a fan, and I'm not in the business of hoping my team loses.

Posted by: psps23 | December 17, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

We'll need a healthy Samuels next year. Hope his recoveries go well.

Posted by: psps23

A little of two years I had to get the nerve and two tendons in my lift arm repaired as well as two tendons in my broken ankle the next day.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 17, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes he has been a very good Redskin for a long time.

I no longer think he is a very good Redskin.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 17, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

A 50% torn triceps means 50% NOT torn, right? So really, that's only half an injury. Cake!

In seriousness, though, get well soon #60. We need you.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 17, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

And I swear if they bring in another linemen that is under 320, I'm going to be pissed. What is the infatuation with linemen under 320?

Our line on average is the smallest in the league. Yeah, I know: "Were they so small when Portis was leading the league in rushing?" The answer to that is: YES! Yes, they were, but they were healthy, could use their athleticism to quickly beat defenders. With injuries this isn't a luxury they have anymore. 320 guys don't have to be athletic - its a bonus, but not necessity.

Just give us some space eaters, maulers, and road graters - please?

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

caps 1, you're in the wrong insider portal. Go back to canada.

Posted by: skinz1 | December 17, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey skinz1 - have fun at fedex this weekend with 50,000 eagles fan

Posted by: Caps09 | December 17, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

psp,

I would only hope they lose because this FO's seems to think there team is better then what they are.

Maybe losing will change this.

Sometimes you have to fail badly to get better.

And I do not care how they got there last year, they were not good enough to beat Seattle.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

skinz1 - as for next year, say hello to 4-12

Posted by: Caps09 | December 17, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

...sounds like the perfect time to dump him.

Posted by: oda155 | December 17, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

My problem with the WCO in D.C. is that it goes away from what this franchise has been for much of its existence. It's the antithesis of what Lombardi, Allen and Gibbs did here and it gets away from what this team's identity SHOULD be. One of the things I admire about the Steelers is that they are the same team they've ALWAYS been and seldom stray from the formula that's won them 5 Super Bowls. I just wish the Skins could have that same dedication to smash-mouth football...

Posted by: brownwood26

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Playing non WCO smash mouth football does not mean you have a bad passing attack. It should enhance the long game as well as other phases of it as the defense has to key more and more closer to the line of scrimmage. It's not that the WCO is a stupid offense, it is just stupid to redirect all the offensive personell shapings of the last 5 years of your franchise to fit into another system. When Vinnie convinced Snyder to go WCO in January it was the start of a cascading
series of really horrid decisions. To me the choice for WCO doomed us to at least 4 or 5 years of "rebuilding" era football. So I hate the WCO for not what it is but for the misery it is inflicting on us.

Posted by: driley | December 17, 2008 12:55 PM

Posted by: driley | December 17, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Caps struggled to win vs a weak Islanders team last night but at least they got the 2 points. Skins showed zero resolve to pull out win vs Bungles

Posted by: Caps09 | December 17, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

beep beep
and caps dude can stay

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 17, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Just give us some space eaters, maulers, and road graters - please?

Posted by: RedDMV

Hallelujah!

All I want is an offensive line that goes FORWARD at the snap of the football on a running play. Watching Heyer runblocking while in his own backfield was a disturbing sight, not one that should be seen by fans under 18.

Posted by: driley | December 17, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"Hes still our best lineman, but our line is awful. He got beat repeatedly this year.

Posted by: Rypien11"

Tell Samuels to join the club. So has every other tackle this year. Let's see if you can find 3 other guys in the league that have not yet been abused by one of either James Harrison, Justin Tuck, Demarcus Ware, Dwight Freeney, Joey Porter, or Julius Peppers.

Samuels has been as solid as always this year. The line has been awful, but Samuels has been the one guy that had not been truly compromised. And he had been playing on one leg. Samuels is a straight baller.

Posted by: psps23 | December 17, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | December 17, 2008 12:53 PM

Oh GOD, here we go: "I'm a fan blah, blah, blah"

Your above statement strikes me as someone who is very condescending.

psps23, it has nothing to do with WANTING the team to lose. Think of it this way: You have a teenage child. You keep wanting this teenager to get their shti together, you talk, you display PATIENCE, you have HOPE and truly BELIEVE that you child will someday piece it together. There are even times that some how, some way, your child is able to overcome these problems they face from time to time, and actually have marginal success every now and then. But for some reason they can't stay on the right path - it seems that they're constantly taking two steps forward only to take three back. After so long, you just want them to go through the hard times without your help, or benefit from dumb blind luck. You have the feeling that the "hard way" is the only way your child will learn.

This is exactly how I feel about the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Let's all make a deal: the Madden GMs, like myself, will stop preaching about the failings of the front office, coaching hires, team philosophy, dead weight players,possible FA and drafting scenarios, and Dan Snyder if the 'I-want-the-Skins-to-go-the-playoofs' people get realistic and move on, cause it ain't going happen and probably shoudn't.

Whereas we all want playoffs, we should also be realistic enough not to want embarassment on the heels of losing to the Bengals.

I want playoffs and 1st round bye at the same time as together they both usually equal Super Bowl.

Who wants to go to the playoffs just to stink up the place?

I think this year, I'd take a vacation from the playoffs to improve draft position.....oops, there I go again.....

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 17, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

TWISI,

I hear ya on that one but you gotta love reading this part:
Michael Oher OT

"Uses long arms and strong hands to force rushers wide. Plays with a wide base and is very effective anchoring versus the bull rush"

"Takes solid angles and wins nearly every battle once locked on"

Flounder,

You are claiming he is 1st tackle and 2nd overall on the draft ESPN has him as the 3rd rated tackle and 20th overall. I understand ESPN is only one source and I'm not buying into the 1st thing I read. But the difference between our sources is a huge gap, someone here is way off the mark !

Posted by: dspinx | December 17, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to comment on the Michael Oher post by dspinx. I have been watching him for some time I read the book on him. You might want to check it out its called.
"The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game"

Its just a dream though not a "sexy" pick according to that idiot Cerrato.

Posted by: wootens | December 17, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

thanks wootens,

Didn't realize that was the guy from the book. It's amazing didn't he find the kid in like 10th grade? They talk about length of fingers and windspan and all that?

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Gweez. For those of you that have not read "The Blind Side", it starts with the day LT broke Theisman's leg and how the left tackle position was changed.

Posted by: wootens | December 17, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Samuels will only miss three weeks. He should be ready for opening game 2009. Nothing happening between the last game and then. Just maybe the D & V show will draft some linemen as a result of this injury.

Posted by: hz9604 | December 17, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I literally saved 15% by switching FROM GEICO to State Farm.

Posted by: hz9604 | December 17, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

OK folks. In Vinny's defense he has not been left to do his own thing. He and Snyder have been picking drafts together. If you check, most of his draft picks are either productive or have not been on the team long enough to declare them a bust so the jury is still out. I will give him one more summer to get it right. If he goes out and gets skilled players instead of linemen on both sides of the ball I will gladly join the crowd in calling for his job. They should have drafted linemen last summer, although I think their 08 draft picks will turn out to be productive. WE NEED LINEMEN!! You dont win playoff games even if you manage to make the playoffs without an O and D line.

Posted by: ged0386 | December 17, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Samuels is a warrior, he is getting old and will be hard to replace a left tackle. However, the whole line just about needs to be retooled at this point. Look around the league and see how many teams turn over their line for younger faster players each year. We need to do just that.

Posted by: joeboggs | December 17, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

HO HO HO!!!!!! F U Vinny!!!!!

Posted by: egrib | December 17, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

who did we tick off so badly to deserve a duo like Snyder/Cerrato?

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 17, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Nice to know you Mr. Samuels. You were a good hand, but it's time to hang 'em up.

Mr. Snyder, please fire Vinny Cerrato.

Posted by: Meepo | December 17, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Yes I am bandwagon fan. You have respect CP this year, he is best running back in NFL, he smart, he does miss his blocks, he runs hard, he class act. If the Skins needs more tough guys like CP. When won the Super Bowls we had tough guys, we had nasty boys and good old boys, We had Dexter, Wilbur, Riggins, Timmy Smith(ex-drug dealer), The Hogs, Billy Kilmer, The Over Hill Bunch,Dave Butz, Donnie Warren, The Fun Bunch-Today, the skins have too many pretty boys. CP is tough guy (we are lose CP will go a team and city that respect him), but we need a Joey Poter, Warren Sapp, or Ray Lewis we need some nasty players, we need a thug, we do not need all these pretty boys.

Posted by: nativeva1 | December 17, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse