Samuels' Knee 'Still Not Right'

Jason Reid reports:

Left tackle Chris Samuels (knee) was limited in practice but could play Sunday against the New York Giants.

"He did some stuff, that was good to see, but it's still not right," Zorn said of Samuels, who missed the first two days of practice this week. "He gave some effort."

Samuels - the team's top offensive lineman - initially felt pain in his right knee Oct. 26 during pregame warmups and sat out Washington's 25-17 victory over the Detroit Lions, ending his streak at 73 consecutive regular-season starts. An MRI exam revealed no structural damage, a team spokesman said, but showed inflammation of the cartilage behind his knee.

"He's just going to decide to go, but this happened before and he couldn't go," Zorn said. "I think it's a legit 50-50. I really do. And we have Stephon Heyer ready to step in."
...

Right end Andre Carter (foot) is expected to be a game-time decision, Zorn said. ... Defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin (shoulder) practiced. "He's got a sore shoulder," Zorn said, "but I think he's going to end up going." ... Kedric Golston (bone spurs in ankle) did not practice but might play. "There's a chance," Zorn said. "But he's a little more doubtful than some of the other guys who were out there today. We kind of held him back."
...

Sean Taylor will be inducted into the Ring of Fame before Sunday's game at FedEx Field. Taylor died Nov. 27, 2007 at the age of 24 after being shot a day earlier during a robbery attempt at his Miami area home. "We're going to have a great ceremony, I think, before the game," Zorn said. "But I really do think that the whole attitude of these players will be to play the game, concentrate throughout the game, and just have the moments before the game to remember Sean, and then kind of reflect back after the game of a teammate lost. That's all we can do. Our obligation is to win the football game and fight to do it the best we can."

By Cindy Boren  |  November 28, 2008; 1:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn Says Portis Is '50-50'
Next: Moss Fined $5,000

Comments

FIRST let me say he better play

Posted by: rickmort | November 28, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, thanks to you and the gang for keeping us Posted over the holiday... at least it's a home game so none of your crew have to travel any further than Ashburn/Landover...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 28, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I think ZORN is worse than GIBBS 1.0 on discussing the injury report..... Will we even have enough players to play this game?

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 28, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

beepage

My read:

Portis will play, Betts will see a lot of work, and Big Mike will get a few.

London will sit, Blades will go at MLB, Marcus will sit, Jason Taylor will play OLB and get 2.5 sacks from there.

I think Blache will walk 8 in the box and bring a lot of heat, leaving the Corners to cover until the cavalry (hopefully) forces LBM to ditch the ball. Key is covering the leaking RB who chip/releases...pokes were effective with this technique. We need to do better making sure the blocking RB does not go uncovered for the dump off.

Offense: More work for Kelly (5 catches, 85 yds and a TD), with above avg number of quick hitting 4 wide set plays and an occasional 5 wide(empty backfield). Force the Giants to cover and account for more receivers. Instead of play action, I look for "pass action" draws to counter the Giants rush.

Campbell needs to make plays with his mind(recognition/checking through reads well) and feet(duck, reset, throw as well as getting upfield when its there) to win this game...I think he can.

This is a very big game..Redskins need to go 1/2 over the next two weeks, and Balmore is no joke. Much better obviously to beat the Gints, not so much for the division(its really a long shot at this point) but rather to hold serve in the NFC. Need to avoid conference loss. And if the Division is gonna come into play, our division foes are gonna have to beat the Giants as well, which puts conference tiebreaker pressure on the Redskins.

Wish I was in town for this one....but I'll be at the bar bright and early with the guy who wears the # 21 75 year anniversary jersey. We were YOGO last week for the Hawks game.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 28, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

It just doesn't stop. Basically the entire Washington Redskins are a game time decision.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | November 28, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

CLEGG,

You don't want to fully disclose anything for the sake of your opponent possibly guessing a bit. That being said even if the Giants are practicing like they expect CP, et al, to be in there still may be a bit of the mental aspect of them thinking they have an upper hand more then they would with all of our starters in.

Posted by: P00P | November 28, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Happy to do it, Nate. And to answer a question about my thoughts on the DL (from way back before I got busy with some posts and a story), I think Kaneohe summed it all up pretty well.

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 28, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'd ratehr see Heyer at RT than LT, especially because I think the passing game, and therefore pass protection, is going to be the key to victory for Redskins offense.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 28, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

POOP,

I'm with you.... just pointing out the obvious... this crap usually doesn't work anyways,... Poop, really? Poop?

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 28, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Kaneohe, I dig your take, but I'm having trouble with YOGO...

yogurting our guts out?

yo-yoing our guts out?

Y-wing-fightering our guts out?

yaketyyakking our guts out?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 28, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

one thing i would like to see the skins offense do, that i see a lot of other offenses do, are hot reads and hot routes...a lot of the best offenses in the league have these..and what i mean is...when i db blitzes...the reciever automatically changes his route to a slant or just stays where he is in the vacated area for the qb to toss the ball str8 to him...on first and second downs this is especially effective because its basically at least a gauranteed 5 yards...i mean it would take the qb to identify the blitzer quickly and make the throw immediately...i'm guessing we wont see any of that this year because the offense is still cathing up...but i feel the reason we dont do well vs. the blitz is because often we campbell has to buy time til a reciever gets into his break...just some thoughts...i just think our offense is too vanilla right now...i mean what happened to those reverses and what happened to those fake reverse rb toss to portis...i rem. we did that a couple times in the phill game for good yards

Posted by: jasonma1 | November 28, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Okay, this business of incorporating the word "first" into a sentence instead of just saying "FIRST" is getting a little silly.
Enough with the nonsense.

Posted by: redskins91 | November 28, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

So...now that the injuries are settled (they all may play, or not), the only bit left out there is a possible fine for Santana Moss. We should know that between 4 and 5...Gotta figure he gets one, right? Not that he deserves one....

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 28, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Hot routes have been a elusive thing in Washington for years. Whether it is stubbornness refusing to make an adjustment or just inability, this team has dealt well with blitzing defenses since Marty left. Spurrier refused to change his offense and that's why he is back in college, and Gibbs/Saunders didn't either, and Zorn hasn't yet which is surprising, cause that is basically the point of the west coast offense, lots of crossing patterns, slants, screens, and swings to nullify blitzes and let players create after the catch, yet we are still mostly running the same stuff as the last few years, lots of running, lots of double moves, deep ins and outs and lots and lots of designed screens. There has been little of the "high tempo" west coast stuff that we thought we'd see. Once again, our offense is Portis with a little Moss sprinkled in and an occasional Cooley (who has dropped a lot of passes this year and has been nowhere near as impactful as last year) sighting. But if I was a DC, my gameplan would be contain CP, double Moss, and this is a 14 point offense. Its the same old story, if CP goes for 100+ we win and if he is anything short of that we lose or our defense has to keep the other team under 14 to win.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 28, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Yelling Our Guts Out, I believe. It's kind of like blogging your guts out, but using all caps!

Posted by: daggar | November 28, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I will feel good after my work out until I watch this. Damn I miss seing the Reaper.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 28, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Can we have some GOOD news? Please.....

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 28, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow Cyn...thanks for all the updates yesterday and today. Just arrived at work for a few hours...which should mean some solid blogging time.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 28, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

jack- Cooley's already caught about 60 balls...on pace to smash his career high. He's been asked to stay in and help block a ton too.
It's his TDs that are way down, but that's been a team-wide issue.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 28, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Will people stop saying or implying Cooley is having an "off" year. He's on pace for 87 catches and 916 yards, by far the best of his career. The only thing he's been "off" on is his red zone TDs, which seems to be a scheme thing rather than a Cooley thing (he's hardly ever thrown to in the red zone).

Posted by: spizzle | November 28, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Good grief, 4-12, hats off to anybody working today... I mean, I'm hanging out with our one-year-old, which feels like work a lot of the time, but otherwise it's a delightfully slacktastic kind of a day.

Trying to decide whether it will be better for our D to have Carter sit (or play very little) and have Taylor over there and Demetric on the other side most of the time... I somehow think Taylor/Evans is better for us against the Jints.

Cindy, thanks for the reminder on Moss... good golly, up in the stands 'zilla and I were fretting about him possibly being tossed from the game (not having a rulebook handy), so news of a fine and no suspension sure would come as a relief.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 28, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

lisa, jm220. jm220, lisa. have you two hooked up yet?

Posted by: dealer1 | November 28, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Even if you think that Heyer is better than Jansen (and I generally side with Coach Bugel on this sort of thing myself), the fact that Heyer has been taking most/all the first team reps at LT for the last... month(?) means that you can't really expect to make that switch.

Posted by: daggar | November 28, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Great minds, or some such as, spizzle.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 28, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Cooley always has a man trailing and in front of him in the RedZone.... No reason to put an extra man on our "Smurfs".... that's the main reason. hence throwing to full backs and the yoder's of the world...

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 28, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

lisa, jm220. jm220, lisa. have you two hooked up yet?
Can you imagine their rec room -- pro quality training with full multimedia so that he can get a workout in and she can continue to feed us everything -- and I do mean everything -- 'Skins-related.
It'd be Redskins Park East!

Posted by: daggar | November 28, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

lisa, jm220. jm220, lisa. have you two hooked up yet?
It'd be Redskins Park East!

Posted by: daggar
LMAO!!! Nate you know you love hanging out with the baby. Enjoy it now becuase when they become teenagers they do not want to hang out with you lol.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 28, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I hear you Nate. A few hours at w**k, sans two-year-old, doesn't really feel like w**k at all.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 28, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Not one of the "so called" ESPN experts picked the Skins over the ants......... Figured you get the one "upset" pick of the week.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 28, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

daggar, you know lisa doesn't shy away from gym neither...she's a muscle milk drinking, wokring out 7 days a week "nasty girl" too.

Posted by: dealer1 | November 28, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

LMAO! OK you guys need to lay off Lisa. She really is a great person.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 28, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

One more thing. Muscle Milk is a straight sugar rush. I can't stand it.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 28, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Great stats on Cooley, however, I would also be willing to bet along with the dramatic drop off in TD's (which are pretty important)he's on pace for a career high in drops and fumbles as well. I'm not saying he's off in terms of numbers, I said he's off in terms of impact. He has made few game changing plays like he did last year when he'd catch a screen break three tackles and rumble for 40 yards. This year it has been a lot more drops, a couple costly fumbles, very few TD's, and very few "big plays". He is still a reliable top tier TE and I'm glad we have him, but he isn't impacting games the way he did last year.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 28, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Let me jump in on the Cooley talk. To me the more blocking his does the more it takes away from other parts of his game. He has to have a totally different mind set for blocking than he does catching the ball.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 28, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Jack you are on a hot streak of wrong lately....Cooley had some huge 3rd down catches just last week. Also cooley was no stranger to the "effort fumble" past years either.

Love your data based evidence though "lots of"

His career high was 3 fumbles in 05, last year he had 1. So if he finished with his current 2 he would end on his average basically.

Also he has 33 first down, equaling his 06 total 6 off his 07 total and only 11 away from his career best 05 44.

In everything but TDs he will prolly set career highs. Now TDs are huge but many reasons for this that are out of his control.

But please more talk about he is having an off year.....maybe you can cut n paste your rambling observations over and over like you did your sean taylor soliloquy.....

Posted by: chrislarry | November 28, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Santana is going to be fined - it would have happened by now. Matt Light (Patriots) and a Dolphin player (can't remember his name) got into it last weekend - they were pulling hair and everything (much worse than Santana's punch) and fines were announced for them days ago. I think they were both ejected from the game.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 28, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Agreeing with the boo on the influx of "embedded firsties" up here... but by the same token, I don't want to see the proliferation of posts touting "failed firsties" or whatever... just know that I nod my head in approval when I see that someone has posted first but has actually made a point, any kind of point, without feeling it necessary to state his comment's position in the thread...

Also, for what it's worth, I still find the term "Muscle Milk" repulsive... who's the Marketing_Guru who came up with that one? Double ugh...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 28, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

My fear was taht Tana would be suspended...once those clowns from the Pats Dolphins were only fined, i relaxed.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 28, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

$5,000 fine beep beep...

Posted by: 4-12 | November 28, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

CL, thanks for doing my work for me. According to you, he's on pace for a career mark in fumbles, to date his longest catch is 28 yards which would be his lowest of his career, and I can't find a reliable source for drops but Cooley has dropped more passes than I've ever remembered and they have been some key ones, certainly I'm not a reliable source for data, but do you remember this many drops for him ever before? and its not like he's just a little low on TD's he's got 1 through 11 games....just saying while he's still having a nice season, he hasn't been as impactful as last year or as many of his peers. There are 27 tight ends with more TD's than him and while his yardage is good, he's still not lighting up teams with only one game all season with 100 yds in a game and only two games all year over 75.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 28, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse