Samuels Returns, Feels 'Pretty Healthy'

Veteran offensive tackle Chris Samuels returned to the field Monday and was back at it again today after missing the team's mini-camp and the first round of organized team activities as he recovered from the torn triceps he suffered in the 13th game of last season.

"I feel pretty healthy," Samuels said. "Still limited in practice. I'm not going against any defensive guys. It just feels good to be back around the guys. I'm healthy, moving around and punching the bags, and overall feeling pretty good."

Samuels, who battled a nagging knee injury last year, is entering his 10th season, and with the release of fellow tackle Jon Jansen last week, has now been a Redskin longer than any current player. He will turn 32 the day before the team reports to training camp, and said he took care of himself this offseason - working out in Arizona -- in an effort to extend his career. He looks noticeably slimmer, and said he's down to 308 pounds.

"I haven't been this weight in years," he said. "It's just a different program. I'm being more serious about my diet, and I'm trying some different kinds of training. So far, it's working."

Samuels said he is taking things slowly during these offseason workouts just to be cautious. "But by the time training camp's here," he said, "I'll definitely be a full-go."

By Barry Svrluga  |  June 2, 2009; 1:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis, Rogers Practice Today
Next: Rogers Bounces Back after Rough Monday

Comments

Hail!

Posted by: saltine182 | June 2, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

We will see how healthy he feels after we put him in the THUNDER DOME!!! 2 linemen enter 1 lineman leaves!

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

lmao@alex

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 2, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

If 2 linemen go into Thunderdome and 1 is Chris Samuels, he's the one that leaves

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 2, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I dunno I think MWilliams may try and eat Samuels

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I dunno I think MWilliams may try and eat Samuels

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Only if he's grilled.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 2, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

so jasno is gone? but jasno's pic is still up and jasno's "good bye" post was deleted? why? i want answers! i want the truth gawdamnit!

Posted by: dealer1 | June 2, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

alex, you gave me an idea.

If you're trying to lose weight you should it with MWilliams. He'll eat his food then some of yours saving you those extra calories.

Posted by: thor2 | June 2, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Great!

We Redskin Fans were never worried about U, Chris. U just keep playing at a Pro Bowl level.

Pay no attention to the worrisome herbal medicine pill popping geriatrics that frequent this post with their prognoses of doom.

The good thing about these so-called 'cynics' (aka: negative nancies) is that they don't believe in self-fulfilling prophecies.

They do however wish that our O-line fails or gets injured just so they can be right!

Posted by: Vicc | June 2, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Post has Williams listed at 370 lbs. And now CS is 307? Typo or coincidence? I think not. Gentlemen (and ladies) I submit that CS is now manning both LT and RT. Soon we need no other linemen at all. This is bound to help special teams...

Posted by: ElYeah | June 2, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe that Samuels is already 32.

Samuels is a dude you plug in and forget about for 10-12 years.

Seems like only a few years ago they drafted him. I think people don't really grasp how long he's been here and what he means to the team. I remember being confused at the time he was drafted -- I was about 16 or so -- I couldn't figure out why'd they draft him when Peter Warrick was still on the board. One, I didn't understand how important good linemen are. Two, Peter Warrick was... well, he really didn't amount too much of anything in the NFL. Samules has made 6 pro bowls, and just in his second season was an all-pro... That dude Samuels is damned good.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 2, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

The Cowboys just released SLB Greg Ellis. I wonder if the Skins are comfortable with Wilson and Orakpo there...

Posted by: siris | June 2, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: siris

Skins need to pass on this guy. We don't need to bring in any more aging players.

Posted by: jm220 | June 2, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: siris | June 2, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I think Greg wants to play his more natural position: DE

Posted by: Vicc | June 2, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

So Plax Burress may end up in Tampa?

Hmm, they could have Ward, Antonio Bryant, Burress(?), Winslow Jr., and Leftwich under center on offense.

Not too bad on offense. Defense sounds a little suspect still though. Raheem Morris is a protege of Mike Tomlin, if Morris is anything like Tomlin, the Bucs are on the up no doubt.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 2, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

The Bucks have been "on the up" for the past 10 years.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

vicc == "Snyder Pollyanna Kid" == SPK

Samuel's is not doing anything involving contact. Before the same injury Randy Thomas might have been the best guard in the league. This is a bit like an achillles rupture.

I don't think you can expect Samuels to play left tackle at a continuous high level. Perhaps right tackle. Nevertheless, even under those conditions he is still their best lineman. Unless Williams diet and new attitude pan out. He does appear to be making progress ... still, nothing is for sure until the exhibition season, and then after that ... the real games.

Posted by: periculum | June 2, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

...I don't think you can expect Samuels to play left tackle at a continuous high level...

Posted by: periculum | June 2, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

And what evidence has led you to believe he can't play at a high level?

When has he ever not performed on a high level?

Posted by: Vicc | June 2, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | June 2, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

And what evidence has led you to believe he can't play at a high level?

When has he ever not performed on a high level?

Posted by: Vicc | June 2, 2009 8:01 PM

Answer: When he's on the sideline nursing an injury, which seems to be much more commonplace as he ages. I would like to see him have one heck of a season, but 32 year old legs are not the same as 22 year old legs - especially when you have been mashing defensive ends for the last decade. The reality is we should all be worried about the depth on the offensive line. When a guy like Samuels goes down, there is a big step down in talent to the next guy.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 3, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse