Will It Be Sanchez?

Just a few hours from the draft, I'm getting the sense from some people close to USC quarterback Mark Sanchez that he might not end up with the Redskins. A lot could change in the next few hours, but the pre-draft sense there is that other teams are lining up. The Jets have been pushing, and Seattle could still end up taking him at No. 4. One thing I am hearing is that there is very little chance that Sanchez will get outside the top five, given the pursuit of him right now.

The Skins have been exploring their options about moving up, talking to teams, according to league sources, but if owner Daniel Snyder sticks to his stance that he won't trade his 2010 first-round pick, then that would likely preclude a move into the top five picks. Trading with Jacksonville at No. 8 would allow them a shot at Sanchez, perhaps, though there are reports that the Jets have the lead in dealing with the Jags if they go that route. And, again, it's very hard to imagine Sanchez being on the board at 8, given what we're hearing.

It will be interesting to see where DE Brian Orakpo lands. I'm hearing Buffalo may be focusing on defensive end Everette Brown with the 11th pick, with defensive end Aaron Maybin also a strong option for them. One of those two goes to the Bills, depending on how the board falls in the top 10.

By the time the Redskins pick at 13, Sanchez, Orakpo, Brown and the top four tackles all could be off the board. In that case, I think they would try very hard to trade down. If that does not happen and there are no viable options, then maybe they'd look very closely at the trio of USC LBs.

By Jason La Canfora  |  April 25, 2009; 3:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dawn of the Draft Day
Next: Sanchez Is Still There; Will Skins Trade Up?

Comments

I like how the beat reporter is hedging right now. He's been hyping the "Sanchez to the Skins" crap for weeks and just in case he's wrong, he wants to be able to point to this and say "well I told you it might not happen." What an utter joke this beat reporter is.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 25, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

And I heard their Barno impersonator was back on here recently. Good job buddy, keep the name alive...

Posted by: Barno1 | April 25, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Just for kicks, what PFT is reporting:

NFL Network’s Rich Eisen, who along with several other NFL personalities and execs are tweeting more than a battalion full of chili addicts, says on his Twitter account that the Jets are trying to move up to No. 2 with the Rams.

The Rams have acknowledged that they’re listening to offers, and the Jets are believed to be anxious to get Mark Sanchez.

They make ZERO mention of the Redskins at all.........

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 25, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Brian Cushing! Brian Cushing! Brian Cushing! Brian Cushing! Brian Cushing! Brian Cushing! Brian Cushing! Brian Cushing! Brian Cushing! Brian Cushing! Brian Cushing!

Posted by: all_star_0013 | April 25, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez ought to go to the Jets at pick 17, based on what he's demonstrated in his career.

The rest is just pre-draft B.S. hype, smoke-blowing, and such as.

Maps!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | April 25, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Cushing would be a disatrous pick, that kid is fueled by roids and will flame out quickly.

Posted by: IHateJLC | April 25, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

If it were stipulated that I had to pick one of the 3 USC linebackers, I'd take Clay Matthews.

Our strong side linebacker needs to be able to cover people.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | April 25, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: IHateJLC

Cushing is a beast! Leadership ability, wreaks havoc along the line, blows people up when he hits them. Rey Maualuga is a finesse player, and an arm tackler. He's soft.

Posted by: all_star_0013 | April 25, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: all_star_0013 | April 25, 2009

No to USC chick crack. If it must be a skill player then:

Ramses Darden! Ramses Darden! Ramses Darden! Ramses Darden! Ramses Darden! Ramses Darden! Ramses Darden! Ramses Darden! Ramses Darden! Ramses Darden! Ramses Darden! Ramses Darden! Ramses Darden!

Posted by: periculum | April 25, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: all_star_0013 | April 25, 2009

Just the reverse is true I think. Suspect they would go with the 3rd guy in that linebacking corps. Looks like the entire LB including the backups are ranked fairly high on the boards. Go to another school I don't trust Pete Carroll. Terrible NFL coach like Spurrier.

Posted by: periculum | April 25, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I see there has been no progress made toward getting Barno his Heavy Metal Parking Lot DVD.

Hopefully the ball bounces our way tonight and Vanny gets stuck drafting a player at a position we actually need.

Posted by: mack1 | April 25, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Agree with Thunder and they did talk to him extensively: Clay Matthews if we must accept USC "chick crack".

Posted by: periculum | April 25, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I think his name is ramses "barden."

Posted by: mrsaun | April 25, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Mike Mayocks final mock has us picking the same guy I picked in the last thread: Beanie Wells. (And then trading him to the Jags for Dirty S.)

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 25, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Trade BACK for Alex MACK!
(rinse, repeat)

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 25, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

NO NO NO to Sanchez! How many brain dead moves does Snyder have to make on draft day before he wises up?

Posted by: Mark20005 | April 25, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

completely agree on cushing being a roid freak. see: arrington, lavar re: injuries

we need a tackle fo sheezy.

fcuk USC players in general, just espn hype products. generally, if i see someone on "path to the draft" i do not want them on my team

Posted by: supuradam | April 25, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Cushing fills an immediate need. Most likely the best player left (for our needs) when we pick at 13.

Posted by: all_star_0013 | April 25, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Mark Maske:

NEW YORK--There is talk on the NFL draft floor that the New York Jets possibly could trade up for the second overall selection to choose Southern Cal quarterback Mark Sanchez.

The second pick currently belongs to the St. Louis Rams.

The Jets choose 17th and are seeking a quarterback to replace the retired Brett Favre. They're thought by people within the league to be competing with the Washington Redskins, who have the 13th pick, to trade up for Sanchez.

Here we go, and now it starts.

Posted by: periculum | April 25, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | April 25, 2009 3:37 PM

Hah! Yeah, no progress at all. I tried reaching out to Cooley myself, but he did not remember ever receiving the DVD from JLC.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 25, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Love that the Jets are preparing to pay off the Rams. It slides the entire board one spot closer to 13.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 25, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

In a surprise move, the Skins trade away Campbell, Cooley, Sellars, and their #13 pick for the rights to Brett Favre. Said Snyder as he high-fived Vinny, "We've finally got the franchise quarterback we've been looking for!"

Posted by: Alan4 | April 25, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, did you see how much bigger Cushing is next to Curry? And Freeman makes them both look like pipsqueeks.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 25, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

There is NO SINGLE player out there who makes the 'skins serious contenders in the Fall. TOO many needs.

Ergo,

TRADE DOWN!!! TRADE DOWN!!! TRADE DOWN!!!

Posted by: TheCork | April 25, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, please take my advice regarding the Skins pick today...

Posted by: gdennie | April 25, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so I normally ignore the draft (don't pay enough attention to college f'ball to really know or care about the players), but I have never been so annoyed or upset with the team as I am with this Sanchez BS. I now understand the frustration that others have been feeling for years. I have always been an optimist with the decisions the team has made in the past - as in, okay, perhaps not the best decision, but let's get behing the players and the team. But for some reason, this BS is completely different. WE NEED LINEMEN!

Okay, rant over, back to the hockey playoffs...flyers just scored twice in like 7 seconds.

Posted by: suzannepdc | April 25, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy Boren | April 25, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

The single most glaring problem with the team last year was the collapse of the offensive line, no matter how people are now trying to rewrite history now.

There have been losses and gains on defense for a probable wash, but no appreciable gains on offense this offseason.

The biggest area of need is clearly at the RT position.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 25, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"Cork, the Skins could have been as serious contenders last year as were the Rams."

I meant Cards.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 25, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | April 25, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

this person sounds like vinny cerrato, idiotic to boot.

keep up the good work Jason, don't let those clowns at redskins.com come here and detract you.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 25, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

All these guys are hedging their picks. That's why they do like 15 different mock drafts. It covers their tails...

Posted by: p1funk | April 25, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

If he's still there at #13, the Skins will take T Michael Oher.

I can't believe they'd take Sanchez (although given the history of this FO, I should know better than to dismiss it out of hand).

But their best move would be Oher, imho.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | April 25, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

my mock draft.

First 20, anyways.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | April 25, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

this person sounds like vinny cerrato, idiotic to boot.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 25, 2009 4:04 PM |
---------------------

And who are you? JLC?

It's funny as hell how the second Barno (or any other RI regular) rightfully slams JLC, there is an IMMEDIATE reply from some name I've never seen before defending JLC.

Talk about a self-important moron...lol

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | April 25, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Smith to Rams...I was hoping that the Jets would trade up to grab Sanchez and end this crap...

Posted by: p1funk | April 25, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Where's the beer?

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 25, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Okay, there is something seriously wrong with me. I was just screaming "Take Mark Sanchez" at the TV as Goodell came to the podium with the Rams' pick.

Posted by: suzannepdc | April 25, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

and the Iraqi peoples and such as is

PLEASE SEATTLE TAKE THE DIRTY SANCHEZ!!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | April 25, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

RI,

The 2nd best day in Football!!! I love it!
Hope you all have been well..... 1 OT down, and 3 to go...

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | April 25, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

my mock draft.

First 20, anyways.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | April 25, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

i like - no, love - it. I hope it's right...at leat pick #4...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | April 25, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Curzon, here, have a St. Pauli Girl.... I've stocked an extra case in the event the Redskins actually pick Sanchez.

I want to be able to drown my misery ASAP.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | April 25, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Clegg- just curious, what's the best day? opening day?

Posted by: suzannepdc | April 25, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

MrR21, thanks! I have the tequila ready to console me if the Skins make that pick.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 25, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually nervous. Please don't draft Sanchez.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 25, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

cmon Seatle..do the right thing...save us from ourselves

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | April 25, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Seahags take Sanchez here at #4

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | April 25, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Please, please, please Seattle Save us from Danny Boy!

Posted by: noluvdr | April 25, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

i like - no, love - it. I hope it's right...at leat pick #4...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | April 25, 2009 4:19 PM
==========================================
Pick 4 is by the Jets, which is why I have Darius Butler - Connecticut at 17.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | April 25, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

wow, I wasn't sold on jackson at all and he went #3; Pioli is either a genius or an idiot.

Posted by: mrsaun | April 25, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if they'll do something completely out of the ordinary and pick Chris Wells if he's there at #13.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | April 25, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

All the JC supporters will forget all about him "IF" Sanchez or "any other QB" leads the Skins to the playoffs. That's the way it is. Fans forget quickly. That's what the owners realize.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | April 25, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

and the Iraqi peoples and such as is

PLEASE SEATTLE TAKE THE DIRTY SANCHEZ!!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG

HEY,HEY,HEY...No insinuating racism...But please Seattle take The Sanchez!!

Posted by: frak | April 25, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Dan and Vinny will make the right choice today and start to make believers of the hamsters here on RI today.

What?

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 25, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Damn Seattle!!

Posted by: noluvdr | April 25, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 25, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a good plan, Curz. I'm just sipping right now, and I am pretty confident that these guys don't do something stupid... but I have a big bottle of tequila ready just in case...

Posted by: frediefritz | April 25, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm... Will Sanchez fall to #13 now?

If so, the Skins should try and trade spots with the Jets, and get some extra picks.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | April 25, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | April 25, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

beeps peeps!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 25, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"Fans forget quickly. That's what the owners realize."

Yeah, well I'm not buying any "Official Redskins Merchandise" until they make the playoffs, or at least until I feel they're running an organization capable of making it to the playoffs. Owners require a steady stream of income, that's another thing fans don't realize (and when it's gone, they suddenly get more receptive to how we feel; hey, it worked for Gandhi).

Posted by: mrsaun | April 25, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Hooray!!! The Jets are on the clock. J E T S Jets Jets Jets.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 25, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

YESS!!!! THANK YOU JETS!!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | April 25, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Look, we were close last year, we beat the Philly twice last year and they made it to the NFC Championship...We just need tweaking at OT ,DE, LB and we're good..Let Sanchez grow elsewhere and let us grow here..

Posted by: frak | April 25, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

thank you jets! there is hope!

Posted by: noluvdr | April 25, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse