Camp storylines: No. 10 Santana Moss

With Redskins training camp opening Thursday afternoon, this week on Redskins Insider we'll count down the most pressing issues the team faces as players prepare to report.

Will Santana Moss be punished for his involvement with a Canadian doctor accused of administering human growth hormone to athletes?

The biggest performance-enhancing controversy of the offseason focused on Anthony Galea, a doctor who has treated Moss, the Redskins' top receiver. While Moss has acknowledged receiving treatments from Galea, he also has said he never knowingly received HGH.

If the league feels the government case against Galea provides sufficient evidence that Moss did use HGH, he could be facing a four-game suspension. As the Redskins' only proven receiver, his presence on the active roster is critical.

Prediction: The commissioner's office either doesn't feel it has heard enough to punish Moss or is waiting for the federal case against Galea to progress. After speaking with Moss, Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said he didn't believe a suspension is
coming.

If one is around the corner, it likely would come down before the team's first preseason game. But don't be surprised if the NFL's patience on the matter stretches into the season. If Galea or someone associated with him doesn't volunteer exactly what Moss received from Galea, a suspension may not be imminent.

By Rick Maese  |  July 26, 2010; 9:45 AM ET
Categories:  Santana Moss
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Colt Brennan working out with McNabb, receivers
Next: Camp storylines: No. 9 Outside linebacker

Comments

Let's get Camp started already!

Posted by: EinVB | July 26, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Once again Jason Reid.. nowhere to be found!

Posted by: iubiquity | July 26, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Once again Jason Reid.. nowhere to be found!

Posted by: iubiquity | July 26, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

By Rick Maese | July 26, 2010; 9:45 AM ET

And if Galea does "volunteer exactly what Moss received" a suspensions still is not imminent, because it's Galea's word against Moss's word and the union's not going to let any suspension stand on such a flimsy allegation.

The actual "storyline" on Moss has to do with how he will fit in the new offense and how he will perform on the field, not this BS.

Posted by: beep-beep | July 26, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry about Santana, if he's not there we got..... um... well there's Keenan McCardell.

Posted by: iubiquity | July 26, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

This is just me, but I'm less concerned with Moss' legal troubles and more concerned with his potential of grabbing 80 catches, racking up about 1300 yards, and 11 TDs.

But hey, its a new thread, and training camp starts Thursday. Not too much more you can ask for right now.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 26, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Something New!!!! HOORAY!!!!

Posted by: hbu_dog | July 26, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Well there's always TO. Oh hell no not him, Terry Orr.

Posted by: iubiquity | July 26, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Dez Bryant -

Continues to prove he is a stupid MoFo.....If I was The Other sucky Roy Williams, I'd prob go to his body or catch him in his dorm room when he is sleep and hit him with a sock full of qaurters....

But then he'll prob get cut...so he can't do ish.....crazy.....But Dez Bryant once again proves he will be a big character problem.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 26, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Not too much more you can ask for right now.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 26, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Ahhh but you can, a super Positive Article from your favorite.....Sally "turkey chin" Jenkins..

A little known fact, she is related to the one and only......LEEEEEE ROOOOOY JEEEEENNNKINS!!!

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | July 26, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

finally....

on a side note, does anyone know if Colt Brennan went to 'h*ll week' out in AZ with McNabb??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 26, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

...picking myself up off the floor after reading the Sally Jenkins article...did my eyes deceive me or did she use the word OPTIMISTIC in the title?

Begin the countdown for hell freezing over...T minus 10, 9, 8...

Posted by: stevek20147 | July 26, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Good, but too long of a read....But the priceless portion is down there in the comments section. Some Eagles fans now proclaim to be Redskins fans and are rooting for us to make it all the way as long as we have McNabb. Some want the Eagles to go 14-2 with the 2 losses against the Skins....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 26, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I read Matt Moseley's Dallas Training Camp report.

Wow, just wow. The ultimate homer.

The way he described it was ridiculous.

I even think Dez Bryant took the shape of a unicorn for a second.

However Doug Free was getting abused by some undrafted LB.

Can't wait for Orakpo to embarrass this guy.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 26, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

good link there 4th.

Our WR corps needs to be figured out this year. my Gut tells me that Moss will be working his way down the line up in the next few seasons. If it were up to me, I would ready myself to get 2 stud WR's in 2011

Posted by: alex35332 | July 26, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

"Dez Bryant...Continues to prove he is a stupid MoFo..."

Who will have the better season?:

a.) Dez Bryant--rookie

b.) Devin Thomas--3rd year player

Moe rolls with 'a' Dez Bryant as his size, suddeness, hands, and strenght are superb.

Bryant is the kind of receiver who go 'get' the ball, and take it away from the guy covering him.

It's a sad thing he's not wearing burgandy n gold...the guy will have an outstanding rookie season.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 26, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Dez Bryant -

Posted by: 4thFloor

I am happy about this, that someone bring this clown back down to earth. All I've heard was praise, made me sick!

That team is nothing but an asylum for troubled head cases! They have no class and no standards. Any ex-con, escaped prisoner or mental patient will do!

Posted by: iubiquity | July 26, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

PS Rick - your poll has nothing to do with the blog post. In fact, the whole blog is shockingly disappointing - youve wasted a great opportunity to talk about a new Moss in a new system with an experienced QB and how it all could fit. Insteads you go looking for controversy.

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | July 26, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Moss is still fast. Nothing to worry about.

He's not hindered by a nincumpoop coach.

I'm expecting 50+ yard bombs this year.

1 will be against Dallas week 1.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 26, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

IH8

Posted by: alex35332 | July 26, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I miss the old thread.

Posted by: stevek20147 | July 26, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | July 26, 2010 10:26 AM

Good point.....

I saw Bruce Allen speak about a month ago...and he too was confident there wouldn't be any suspension.

And that has taken away from Santana playing with a real primed QB.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 26, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | July 26, 2010 10:34 AM

Cooley and Sleepy.....Devin will be the sleeper for the 1st half of the season...

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 26, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

alex

"I just worry about Moss, if he gets double covered, we have no other deep threat that we know of."

Your very excellent point is what the thread should be: how can the skins maximize Moss' efforts, not the voodoo issue of PEDs and A Galea.

Another question about Moss to discuss is, if this is his final year as a redskin?

Finally, if it is his contract year, would using Moss in the slot or giving him the occasion punt return be a good idea?

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 26, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Ah, finally...when I couldn't comment on the last thread, I thought maybe that d-bag RIManagement from last night was serious...

Anyways, I hope we dodge a bullet on the Moss suspension...no news just has to be good news on this front. Moss has been a Cowboy killer for us and we'll need all hands on deck Week 1 if we wanna pull off the upset.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 26, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Who will have the better season?:

a.) Dez Bryant--rookie

b.) Devin Thomas--3rd year player

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 26, 2010 10:24 AM

Now he has to prove his strentghs in real live reps.....

B.

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 26, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Trade rumors back on for VJax...

Smith says the talks are open again...

I say we send them CR22 n a pick next year for VJAX

Someone here just stated that we .need 2 wrs next yr!

Grab Vjax, keep our top two picks for more youth( de/lb/nt)

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | July 26, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Well, kick me in the balls and call me Moses! We got ourselves a new thread!

Dez Bryant is going to be a pain in our arses for many years to come, I fear.

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 26, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"What kind of numbers would justify re-signing a smallish 30+ receiver to very good money?"

Speed. Being able to still get by the Def Backfield.

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 26, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

brandon_in_cali

"I say we send them CR22 n a pick next year for VJAX"

Be careful.

That RIManagament dude will snag and harp on you for offering what he has yet to present:

A good idea.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 26, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

This year London Fletcher is going to welcome Dez to the NFL.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 26, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Didn't we draft Austin to be another speed guy?

Easy routes for this guy- Run as far and fast as you can, then look for the ball.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 26, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 26, 2010 11:03 AM

Won't work...That's why Santana is valueable....The Double Move AND Speed is what gets you past defenders in the NFL....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 26, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe
First, great questions on his long term future. But to reply to your comments about Cooley, Davis and Thomas.

Do you really see them as deep threat players?

I mean Chris Cooley is easily my favorite Skin of todays players, but he has never had a deep threat style of play. He is a 10 yard catch + 5-10 yard run kinda player. Part of that historically has been Brunell and Campbell lacking the proper combination of strength and down-field accuracy and the lack of time given by the line. But even so, if you were to ask me what Cooley does well, you give him a option rout and let him find space. Davis has more speed than Cooley, but even so, we did not see him get many deep passes. But they are both tight ends, the classic job for them is to pick up first downs and be good in the red zone. Devin Thomas, still strikes me as more of a possession receiver, and I am not sure Kelly is good at anything.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 26, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

al, Thomas is hardly a possession receiver...he ran a 4.40, he's a speed guy, Kelly, who ran a 4.6, is the possession guy....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 26, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 26, 2010 11:03 AM

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 26, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I'd still like to see this guy go deep a few times this year.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 26, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I guarantee this Dezi Arnez guy will prove to be overrated!

Posted by: iubiquity | July 26, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I sure hope Moss can get back to form. I think with McNabb out there, who you would think would be a little bit more accurate, will be able to get things going early.

I also think the Thomas and Kelly will finally get their crap together and be productive.

Dez Bryand should have just sucked it up and carried the dam pads. Its a tradition. That in mind, does he try to do the same thing to a rookie next year?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | July 26, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I know Jenkins doesn't have many fans up here, but her column was spot on this morning. Definitely more positive than usual (for obvious reasons) and she hits on the nail on the head with this:

"The fact is, they could be considerably improved and still be an under-.500 team...But the ace in the hole is Shanahan. There's a sure-handedness, and an I-mean-business aura to his dealings that we haven't seen at Redskins Park in years, not even during Joe Gibbs's tenure. The bet here is that Shanahan's presence alone is worth at least eight victories -- although in an interview with Redskins.com last week, he spoke as if 8-8 would be a cringe-worthy failure.

We don't know a lot about the Redskins yet, but we do know this much: They are already a better-coached, less enabling, better-run franchise. Their hopes aren't reliant on a home run strategy but rather on Shanahan's coherent plan and sheer professionalism."

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 26, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

If Devin Thomas makes the ProBowl he will be the next to knock boots with Kim Kardashian.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 26, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

And of course what real coach would take 8-8 as an acceptable season. He should view it as "cringe worthy."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 26, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 26, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Just because you run a 4.4 does not mean your are a speed guy in the game. One thing I have seen from just looking at his highlights, is how much he changes speeds when making a catch.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 26, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

11-5 11-5 11-5 11-5 11-5 11-5 11-5 11-5 11-5 11-5 11-5 11-5

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 26, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

The fact that Devin runs a 4.4 40 dosent make him strictly a deep threat which I dont really see him as.
The fact that he has run through some tackles and has YAC ability makes him more of a possession receiver to me. He has ran through contact on all his TDs so far.

Kelly is there to keep the trainers on point for when the real players get injured.

Posted by: Stu27 | July 26, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Agreed scamp...no coach or GM in the NFL should be doling out acceptable/unacceptable numbers for what constitutes as a good or bad win/loss record. That kinda stuff is subjective and any coach engaging in that kinda speculation should be fired on the spot.

Good coaches aim high while keeping expectations (outside of the locker room, at least) low. Glad to see we finally have a good coach.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 26, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see Romo motorboating Albert's man boobs.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 26, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | July 26, 2010 11:32 AM

Possesion receivers, to my understanding, are not known for YAC and breaking tackles. They are known for catching the ball consistently and moving chains, I thought....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 26, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see Romo motorboating Albert's man boobs.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 26, 2010 11:39 AM

While that mental image is completely disturbing, I do applaud your enthusiasm...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 26, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Hhahahah moe

Ya I saw that post n looked twice for my name, funny thing was after that the blog didn't let me post lol

We got a couple thousand more posts for a new thread any wayz....

I think dez is good enough to cause some trouble. Hopefully tyon n barnes are up for a challenge.

If we make the move for Vjax our top picks next year are for the defense.

Cb,fs(depending on how moore performs) nt, de, lb

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | July 26, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Time has come to start phasing out the Skins dependence on Santana. Hopefully Shanny can diversify and Moss gets about 40 catches this year. Moss will still make his 5-6 significant plays this year. The offense will be much better off if its run through someone other than Santana.

Posted by: coparker5 | July 26, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Well he is not a speed guy, because he rarely gets a ball "in stride". I guess he is not a possession guy, in that classic sense.

What do you call a guy who is supposed to rack up the YAC and run over DB's?

Posted by: alex35332 | July 26, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I don't give a crap if DT is a possession receiver or a speed receiver...so long as he consistently gets open and makes catches. Once he gets that down pat, THEN we can worry about what he's doing after the catch.

Seems to me possession/speed labels are a nice way of stating someone's limitations. Like Hines Ward is always called a "possession receiver"...which is a nice way of saying that some offensive lineman are faster than he is now. Or Donnie Avery is a "speed receiver"...a kind way of saying he can't catch a cold unless he's 5 yards ahead of the guy that's checking him.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm rooting for DT to be a BALANCED receiver that consistently makes plays all over the field. Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 26, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

alex

"Do you really see them (Cooley, Davis, or Thomas) as deep threat players?"

A two-tight end based passing system means a lot of balls getting throw into the center of the defense, not over it.

Thomas/Moss are the deep threats over Cooley/Davis running routes underneath.

If CP/LJ have a solid years running the ball, play action passes will rule the day, and should open up the field for the passing game.

Play action passing off 'stretch' and 'draw' play action should be the feature of this offense.

In any event, we should see some good O this Fall.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 26, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Considering the Skins talent level compared to division rivals, an 8-8 record (2-4 division) would be quite an accomplishment.

Shanny knows that Skins fans will slurp up whatever bull he dishes out. He's got a big fat scapegoat all lined up for when the team underperforms.

Posted by: coparker5 | July 26, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

coparker

"Time has come to start phasing out the Skins dependence on Santana."

My hope is that the new people re-assess how he's used.

Imagine a formation where Moss is in the slot or positioned in a 'trips' or 'bunch' set.

He gets to come off the line free enough to get a jump on any guy covering him.

One issue documented over the past 2 years is that big corners were manhandling Moss on the line.

Go back to last year's opening game, and you see Moss fighting C Webster who was in his grill like a dead ladybug.

So if you move him around or run 'pick' types plays for him, he's open sooner, and thus, more likely to get s jump on the ball before coverage catches up.

Finding better ways to use Moss is the key, IMO.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 26, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Our long balls will primarily be of the catch-and-run variety, high on YAC.

Posted by: shanks1 | July 26, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | July 26, 2010 11:57 AM

First of all, anything below 3-3 in division is awful. I'd venture to say that 8-8 doesn't happen if they can't manage to break even in division. The Cowpies are the obvious favorite, but the rest of the division isn't that far apart IMO. There's no reason why this team can't at least split the season series with those squads.

And I don't know what scapegoat you're talking about, but this year is a transition period. Expectations are the most realistic they've been in years. The only way scapegoats are necessary is if the Skins can't get to 8 wins.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 26, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

beep-beep

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 26, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Moe,
Provided that Shanahan does the opposite of Zorn, and actually plays his players to what they do well rather than force them into a system yes this could be fun.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 26, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

How do you guys feel abou this for a trade

Malcolm kelly n Clos Rogers for VJax???

I would take it but would smith still want a pic???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | July 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

HGHmeds.com sales Humatrope and Saizen (Human Growth Hormone) out of Tijuana Mexico at a discount. No prescription required. Please visit us at HGHmeds.com

Posted by: MiguelHGH | July 26, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Something tells me our TE's are gonna be McNabb's "go to" guys. I don't see Moss getting more than 60 catches.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | July 26, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

No need to worry about Moss, the worry should be on the other side and in the slot. Devin Thomas can play, but he doesn't want it bad enough. He'd rather make music videos. Malcolm Kelly is big, but that is about the limit of his skills. He is slow, can't get off the line against pressing defenses and has bad hands. Galloway is short and old and Furrey is short and slow. Maybe a receiver will step up out of the rest of the free agents and rookies, but don't count on it. I see a trade in the works before the season starts.

Posted by: JAMNEW | July 26, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Reskins in 2010, 6 and 10, heard it here first...Go Cowboys!

Posted by: JCM-51 | July 26, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I predict a WIN in the 1st regular season game, on Sunday Night (against the cowpokes).

Posted by: Robbnitafl | July 26, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I really believe that this investigation is one that will produce nothing immediately. Don't expect to see Moss suspended this year, expect it next year... if at all. The details are so vague on this and it is a federal investigation. He never tested positive for anything People. IMO Moss will play 15-16 games this year and now that he has a pro bowl caliber QB throwing to him for the 1st time in his career he will get above 70 receptions. We all know Donovan has one of the best long balls in the game, used to kill us and the Cowboys every game. Expect alot of bombs to Moss, Thomas and yes... Galloway! Can't wait.

Posted by: avbanig | July 26, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JAMNEW | July 26, 2010 2:15 PM

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Why do I bother?
Malcolm Kelly has "bad hands?"
Really? When did this happen? From what I've seen, he's got the best hands of all the receivers. Now, Santana, who, unfortunately is 5'9", has a much, much better attack on a ball in the air. He goes after it really well, usually. Thomas hasn't made a tough catch yet. Kelly is slow? Based on what? His 4 catches last year? lol

Say what you want, but don't just spew some nonsense about Kelly has "bad hands." That discredits everything else you said, some of which is kinda true.

And, you know what? Even if he DID have bad hands, it wouldn't stop him from being a great receiver... I mean, look at Jerry Rice. He was slow, undisciplined, lazy, had terrible hands, and he still made the hall of fame.

It could happen! lol

Posted by: Thinker_ | July 27, 2010 3:57 AM | Report abuse

I'd hate to see Santana punished but if he is guilty then I'm sure that he'll have to pay a price. Guilt by association is not sufficient grounds !

Santana has been my favorite Redskin since Darrell Green left. The Coles for Moss trade may be the best one made during the Snyder regime.

When it first happened - a Philly fan told me that it was a bad trade because Moss was "tiny." I advised him that although he wasn't a big receiver he had three things that Coles will never have and those are heart, great moves and huevos ! I hope Santana has a few more outstanding seasons in him because he and Portis have been the only guys on offense who give 100%.

Posted by: rickywarner49 | July 27, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

JCM-51 says "Reskins in 2010, 6 and 10, heard it here first...Go Cowboys!" This clown probably wouldn't know Dallas if the whole city hit him on his big head , like most DC area Cowboy fans ! This clown should be given a one way ticket to Dallas.

I am A DC guy (now in San Antonio) and root for everything Washington except Arenas who has overstayed his overrated welcome.

I went to high school in DC and love the 'Skins. I hope Santana and McNabb hook up in the first game and put the Cowgirls in their place.

Posted by: rickywarner49 | July 27, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Wide receiver is the team's greatest need area right now after the other moves that were made in the offseason.

Shanahan IMO is almost sure to be looking to pick up a veteran over the summer who is somewhat younger than Galloway and Furrey and who can contribute in 2010 opposite Moss on an incentive deal.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | July 27, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse