Redskins still optimistic about putting it together

Coaches and players were greeted by dark clouds and drizzle as they arrived at Redskins Park this morning, hours after returning from Sunday's humbling 30-16 loss to the Rams.

If there was ever a game the Redskins had to win, that was it, and the no-nonsense mood in the locker room, the hushed tones with which the players spoke, reflected that disappointment.

But if you squinted and looked really hard for a silver lining on this dreary Monday, it came in the form of a pair of comments from veterans Santana Moss and DeAngelo Hall. Both quickly squashed one of the questions that often follow a devastating defeat: are the players beginning to wonder about the direction Coach Mike Shanahan and his staff is leading them?

"Honestly, man, that's far from the mode in my head right now," Moss said, reacting as if he was completely caught off guard by the question. "That was a different coach, different team. That's something I hope we can leave in Detroit and leave in last year. I don't even want to go there."

After the Redskins' loss last season in Week 3 to a Detroit team that hadn't won in 19 games, Jim Zorn's grasp on the locker room began to slip, perhaps to the point where it was impossible for the coach to regroup the team.

"Here we go again? We're far from that," Moss added. "You watch the football we played last year, it's nowhere near the football we're playing this year, offensively I'm talking about. Last year we were so plain to where people who were watching on TV knew what we were fitting to do before we did it. Right now, we got something better going. We just have to put some of the mistakes behind us and that will help us convert third downs and help us move the ball well. That will help us attack in the red zone."

Across the locker room, cornerback DeAngelo Hall was equally incredulous when asked if the locker room was starting to wonder about Shanahan and Co.

"Nah, not at all, not at all," Hall said when asked if there were any similarities between Sunday's defeat and last year's loss to the lowly Lions. "Different staff, different regime, different mindset with the group of guys we have in here. I don't think nobody's worried about anybody jumping off the ship or [being in] panic mode or anything like that, not at all."

Moss, though, remained realistic about the challenges the Redskins still face on both sides of the ball.

"Anyone would know that you can't be a new team and come out in the first three games and be in midseason form. That's a no-brainer. I knew that from Game 1," Moss said. "It's not going to be easy. We didn't come into this thing saying, 'Hey, we're going to out here with a new head coach, a new offense, a new quarterback and we're going to roll though this season like it ain't nothing. We're making it harder right now with our mistakes."

Football teams aren't the only organizations that struggle with performance when expectations are lowered. Check out Jena McGregor's thoughts in On Leadership.

By Tarik El-Bashir  | September 27, 2010; 1:03 PM ET
Categories:  DeAngelo Hall, Santana Moss
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For McNabb, trip to Philly is just business
Next: Phillip Daniels believes the 3-4 can work

Comments

Everybody's just about emptied their Febreze bottles today.

What have you been spraying all over Deadskins Insider to make things smell a little better and brighten your day?

"We were looking ahead to the Eagles!"

"We just needed a wake-up call!"

"We're still adjusting to our new 3-4 defense!"

"Marty started off 0-5 and look how that turned out!"

Face the facts: The Deadskins are going to have a long, miserable season. They look real bad right now and I don't see that changing. Your o-line is busted up and can't adjust, your RBs and WRs are putrid and your coach is showing why he got fired by his close friend (Pat). At least you don't have to worry about "pulling a Detroit" and going 0-16. The Cowboys charity work is over for this year.

"A skunk by any other name is still a skunk."
-M. Irvin

Peace, Y'all

Hell
To
The
Deadskins

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | September 27, 2010 10:22 AM |

febreze...skunk...he-he-he. good ones.

Posted by: 10peterbilt | September 27, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

when does hockey start? At least that team can get us excited for a bit before we get our hopes crushed.

DC is the worst sports town..

Posted by: SA-Town | September 27, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

"We're making it harder right now with our mistakes."

Has the opposite effect on me.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 27, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, I was recently accepted to be a writer for Bleacherreport.com. I am one of the youngest writers on there, as I am only 17. Please take a look at my first article. It’s all about the Skins. So tell me how it is, and if you can, please comment on the article as well.

If you have a twitter account, follow me @roccoskins, I will update it every time I post something on b/r. Thanks

Posted by: roccoskins | September 27, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

He's talking as if we just lost to the Packers or Colts. Does he not realize we played the Rams yesterday? Mid-season form or not, you don't get your a$$ handed to you by a rookie QB and a second string RB. Tired of excuses from these guys.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 27, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey Cowpatties - we beat you. shutup.

loosers. scoreboard.
_______________________________

Honestly, those comments from DHall & Moss are kinda immaterial. Sound like route. Well see how they respond this weekend.

I absolutely agree that there's nothing to panic about. But that doesn't mean we're getting 8 or 10 wins. Let's try to have a winning record in the division first.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

they've got, GOT TO, get DT involved this week...we're quickly approaching spiderface with this....

pass to set up the run...get cooley/davis some intermediate stuff, and open up the middle of the field....on D..use landry to spy on Vick...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 1:19 PM

Kinda hard to panic when this is what we have grown to expect over the last 15 years. Par for the course. If we actually looked good I might panic.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"Spiderface"?

Posted by: freakzilla | September 27, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

i guess im one of the dumb fans that still believes we can turn it around. This is not a one year process compare our o-line last year to this years... People this team will rip ur heart but give it some time(haha we keep saying this but you cant deny we have the right guys changing this program) Atleast we are starting to get turnovers. If we get a big reciever we can be like the saint. they had a terrible defense that got a lot of turnovers last year. I kno DMC 5 isn't Breezy9 but we can do this. BELIEVE IN THIS TEAM THAT YOU STILL LOVE AND WILL ALL HOP ON AFTER WE BEAT PHILLY AND GREEN BAY then will be crushed by the colts sunday night. Because we will have Vincent Jackson vs the lions and will give them the smack down we gave the when Carlos "brick hands" Rogers had the pic 6...
BOOK IT call me ignorant but i believe in this team for years to come i love Kyle Shann playcalling we just lack that so called "homerun back"

Posted by: patljr7 | September 27, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

By Tarik El-Bashir

Has he taken over RI, good lord I hope so.

""Anyone would know that you can't be a new team and come out in the first three games and be in midseason form." - S.Moss

I could get a team coming out and laying an egg to a team like the Rams early in the season.

"Midseason form" has sh*t to do with blowing a 17 point 2nd half lead at home.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 27, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm very optimistic about taking a monster dump in a matter of minutes.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Here's something that you should be able to put together:

Portis is a quitter and a flopper. Even Shaq thought that was a flop.

Pete Rose thinks CP had money on the game.

Charles Barkley said his golf swing is more balanced than CP running the ball.

I think Trevor Maddich had to threaten to eat Brian Mitchell to keep him from flying out to St. Louis to personally "un-straighten" CP's pockets....'ma man.

Dexter Manley is wondering if CP needed a hit off his crack pipe. George Starke offered to cut CP a nice fat line as a pick-me-up.

Jason Campbell saved the tape of that play as it's a great training tool to teach him how to slide.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 27, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | September 27, 2010 10:22 AM |

febreze...skunk...he-he-he. good ones.

Posted by: 10peterbilt | September 27, 2010 1:09 PM

Yo mama.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

So, how are you going to fix all of those mistakes? Let's see, there was...

-Moss fumble

-Cooley fumble that was called a non-fumble but really was a fumble

-Stephon Heyer false start

-Jamal Brown false start

-Gano kickoff out of bounds

-Gano punt blocked

-Buchanan muffed punt return out of bounds

-Ryan Torain's missed pass block

-Carlos Rogers' pass interference

-Clinton Portis' "I surrender" flop down on long run

-McNabb's thrown interception

-Redskins had 9 penalties...

Come to think of it, maybe the first mistake was getting on the field. This game was filled with mistakes.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 27, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

The Bills just released Trent Edwards. I say we pick him up and release Grossman. LET THE REBUILDING BEGIN!!!

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 27, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins still optimistic about putting it together"

Wasn't going to post anything today......too tired...too depressed...but christ RI...a typo in a headline? Nice...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 27, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

http://www.veoh.com/collection/cbs-College-Football/watch/v20465148b5kES5ky look at that beast at 21 seconds i would love him in a skins uni

Posted by: patljr7 | September 27, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

1-15. it's not the coaches. it's the same players - lame - that always make the mistakes.

there's no HEART on this team.

Posted by: tbarz1 | September 27, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

They looked like they were in mid season form to me.

Unfortunately, it was the 2009 season.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 27, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I think calling Portis a quitter and a flopper uncalled for. We know he has balance issues and any who has seen him block know he's not afraid on contact.

Hell everyone was falling down yesterday on that turf.

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys I just saw some breaking news:

Albert Haynesworth is still a fat-lard.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

haha^^^good one

Posted by: RedDMV | September 27, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I Blame Bush....I mean Cerrato for this...

Even though he's not here....

That's the ticket!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 27, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Please know my fello RI brethren that I have taken a deep breath since last night, so here is my analysis

1) Clinton Portis is DONE! Yes he can block well, but he is not the solution to our running game. I don't know of any other starting or reserve back that would fall down untouched. He's clerly past his prime and is only serviceable. I like him too..the whole "Janky Spanky"..."Sherriff Gonna Getcha" deal, but I can't think of too many RB's Portis is better than at this point.

2) We have a ton of holes and ton of players playing out of position. Many of our players are old and slow.

3) We have only 4 or 5 players on this team that are truly talent and worthy to build with:

Orakpo, Davis, Cooley, T. Williams, Landry (at Strong Safety only, McNabb. Other than that, who else has any trade value?

4) Shanahan needs to put the best players on the field. Is Roydell Williams THAT much better than Devin Thomas.

Shanahan and Allen need to somehow gather more picks to get younger and faster and be aggressive in free agency for SENSIBLE signings particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST...

We MUST be patient. They shoulda beat the Rams, but it's clear that this team is FINALLY exposed from years of personnel mismanagment!

Posted by: rickyroge | September 27, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

there's no HEART on this team.

Posted by: tbarz1 | September 27, 2010 1:31 PM

That's not in their contracts, not even as an incentive. What do you think they are -- a bunch of slaves?

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

I was remarkably calm in the fourth quarter yesterday. That's a little sad, isn't it? Hoping to get the fire back as the year goes on.

Let's all give Haslett a little more time to figure it out. I don't think he forgot how to coach in his year away. He's a very well respected DC, and a former head coach of the year, for crying out loud.

Posted by: NYPDee | September 27, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

"humbling 30-16 loss to the Rams"

Humbling? Try humiliating.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 27, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Jim: Several times a day, Michael says words that are way beyond my vocabulary.
Michael: I know where this is goin'.
Jim: Do ya?
Michael: No...
Jim: Ok. Remember Spider face?
Michael: No.
Jim: OK. 'Cause the quote was, cut off your nose to spiderface.
Michael: Spite her - ok [laughter]
Jim: Yeah... yep.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I have been struggling to remember a time (In any sport)when a player caused such a ruckus with his arrogant and cocky proclamations the week before a game and then came out and embarrassed himself like DH23 did yesterday.

In the wake of pooping off at the lip like he did, he should give back his game check. Awful....embarrassing...pathetic.

Can this be the thing that finally shuts this guy up and makes him realize he's not who he thinks he is?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 27, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I blame Stephen Colbert and his "Keep Fear Alive" Rally.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NYPDee | September 27, 2010 1:37 PM |

Let's not get too excited about that HCOY award. Wasn't that sort of bestowed upon him by Katrina?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 27, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NYPDee | September 27, 2010 1:37 PM

When the mob smells blood, we smell blood. After we're done stringing up Hazlett, we're coming for you, and anyone else who thinks the guy deserves a fair chance.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 27, 2010 1:40 PM |

My bad, he was HCOY in 2000. As a Redskins fan, I kind of deleted that year of football from my mental hard drive.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 27, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher interview today - He said they need to come to practice this week and they need "better preparation, better focus, better attention to detail and execution of the game plan and the calls that are made."

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 27, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

If all of us are smelling blood does that make us vampires? Are we all on Team Edward?

I was more hoping to be on that Team Wolf-guy.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"Can anyone help me? I'm at a loss. That was one of, if not the worst performances I've ever seen out there by Hall yesterday.

"

Whaaa? 2 bad plays = a bad game?

I don't think so....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 27, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 27, 2010 1:39 PM

-----------

Even I've never pooped off at the lip before.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I know I head this point this morning but it bears repeating:

Can't we have DT11 just go deep every play? Are we to believe that he isn't capable of that?

What WR that makes it to the NFL doesn't know the universal "route tree"?

Lastly, how much yapping will Arseneo Hall do today?

What a doosh.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 27, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I Blame Bush....I mean Cerrato for this...

Even though he's not here....

That's the ticket!

Posted by: 4thFloor

A new 9-11 investigation would be nice ( right, and could the private Warmachine banks that own the Federal Reserve please rig the Redskins to win all the rest of their games like they rigged: a) the 9-11 attacks themselves
b) The Congressional Investigation
c) The Puppet Mass Media that they own (like you, WP)

Even if Obama were a 100 % honest man, it would still take him 3 Presidential terms to remove all the corrupt corporate installs made during the free-wheeling Gangsta years of Bush-Cheney..

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Peace, Y'all

Hell
To
The
Deadskins

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | September 27, 2010 10:22 AM |

febreze...skunk...he-he-he. good ones.

Posted by: 10peterbilt | September 27, 2010 1:09 PM

Yo mama.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

im so pissed of it's not even funny, but bottom line is you're not going to win in the nfl w/ heyer starting at left tackle, it's just not going to happen, i dont care who you play

we need t-dub back asap

f-in bs is what it is

Posted by: retroskins14 | September 27, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, also noticed some of that "need to forget about this game and move along to the next" sentiment in DHall's comments yesterday.

Left me feeling cold and thinking that he really don't give a damn.

Now, I don't claim to be a psychologist, psychiatrist -- or even an overnight guest at Holiday Inn Express -- so I won't try to figure what's going on in people's heads --

Also don't know what to read into the "no nonsense mode" and "hushed tones" in the locker room.

But have counted at least three players so far -- including two quoted here -- who don't seem to mind being as exposed and embarrassed as badly as they were yesterday.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 27, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Daniels --- "We got guys I think come out and do too much, either overrunning the ball, not being where they're supposed to be and try to do somebody else's job. Every man has a job to do on that field and if you do your job we'll be sound, we'll be ok, but if you go out there and try to do too much you hurt the defense."

Wonder if he's talking about Landry?

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 27, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

say what you will, but the comments made by both moss and hall have no sense of urgency, more denial than anything else. same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

4th...

I admit I had way too many beers before during and after the game but Hall was awful and it was more than 2 plays.

Was I that drunk? I thought he looked really bad out there....Clayton et al had their way on 3rd down no?

I guess I'm more shocked that he talked like he did and then just laid an egg. Not at all the way we need to be acting right now and hopefully he gets the message: Shut up, focus and play.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 27, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

You can still blitz an LB or two without leaving your corners on a island--safety help. You leave your corners on a island when you bring a safety blitz. I've seen the Skins bring both this year.

Posted by: smokeybear2

And Smoke which of our lb's beside Rak is gonna get there?RM52 is slower than a turtle stampeding thru peanut butter.Our blitzes dont work UNLESS we send the safties.

Posted by: smittdiddy | September 27, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

What the Redskins offense needs to do is have a few players (RB, WR, TE) who poop in their pants.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

We lost 2 we should have won, now it's time to win 2 we are supposed to lose. Enough garbage defense, if you are not good enough to run 3-4, then switch back to 4-3 and let Haynesworth, Orakpo, Carter, and Fletcher shine again. This current 3-4 defense is embarrassing. Losing to the Rams? Very very shameful!

Posted by: abxinc | September 27, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Did you guys know 9/11 was an inside job? I saw it somewhere on the interweb.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

It was bad overall for all.

But it appears that CP and DHAll has been getting too much of the blame...it was def a team let down on everyone's part.

I've been skimming through, and am surprised no one has brought up McNabb's accuracy from yesterday, especially in the 2nd half.....But still an upgrade...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 27, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey Bean, If you're disappointed now, wait until you watch the game.

Posted by: mack1 | September 27, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Moss and Hall remind me of the Norv Turner days:
Norv would almost ALWAYS say after a loss,
"We just need to make plays"
"We just need to make more plays"

After awhile the team sounded like there was no urgency whatsoever, replying like robots, "We just need to make plays..."

This team is one freakish fumble and return for a TD vs. Dallas from 0-3.
How about some urgency guys!!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 27, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I Blame Bush....I mean Cerrato for this...

Even though he's not here....

That's the ticket!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 27, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

of our 22 starters 5 are new, which means 77% of the current roster are holdovers from Cerrato. I think you still can blame him a little.

Especially for obvious holes. Like the fact that Sean Taylor died 3 seasons ago and the team has yet to replace him. RIP Sean, but they have been playing a FS-less defense since Taylor's passing. Moore is a backup who won the spot by default.

Or the fact that we have played with 1 starting caliber WR for 5 years.

Or the obvious situation with Rabach.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

4th Floor...

It's not that De'Angelo Hall played an awful game. Yes, he had two bad plays, he put himself in position to be criticized by running his mouth. he should just shut up and play.

I like D'Angelo Hall, but this team and everyone on it needs to SHUT their mouth and play!

Posted by: rickyroge | September 27, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh_boy1

Sounds nice, but really we just need better players.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 27, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 1:49 PM

frak, your music views/tastes good; political--not so. Bush years were with Dem congresses...ummm, dole some of the blame to them, killer.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"Seriously, who would want to tackle a player who's got some massive dump just sitting in his burgundy and gold pants."

Tried that last season, when we allowed opposing teams to regularly knock the stuffing out of our QB...

Only thing it managed to do was gain him an audition in the city by the bay... where some appear to find that sort of scent oddly appealing...

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course...

We seem to be continuing the tradition this year -- as DM5 had to pick himself up off the turf more than a few times -- and only narrowly avoided a couple of real gut busters.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 27, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Did you guys know 9/11 was an inside job? I saw it somewhere on the interweb.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I got Proof given to me by Gov. Ventura himself.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | September 27, 2010 1:36 PM |

agree about management, however, davis hasn't done squat to prove anything and cooley to me is overrated. I know I'll hear all kinds of stats in regards to cooley, but dude has no game left. mcnabb, a trade we should never had made if we're to rebuild. same with the brown trade. skins fans wake up ! it has been a decade and now we're saying be patient. patient my ass, if we're going to rebuild we must do so through the draft and not through trading our draft picks away.

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 2:06 PM
---------

Just how many of the Bush years were there a Dem Congress?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Moss and Hall remind me of the Norv Turner days:
Norv would almost ALWAYS say after a loss,
"We just need to make plays"
"We just need to make more plays"

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 27, 2010 2:04 PM

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 27, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey, frak, that reminds me -- the fabricator shop called. Your custom tinfoil hat is ready.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 27, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

4th Floor...

Posted by: rickyroge | September 27, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smokeybear2

Not all of them......

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

No Politics on the blog, especially lame @$$ 2 party system that don't do jack for no body politicin'.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

i like moss, i really do, but that fumble was the same sh*t as green bay a few yrs ago that cost us the game, as much good as he does he always seems to drop passes, etc that really stops us from going to the next level, i still like the guy, but those lil mistakes he's made since he's been here have really hurt us, at least he's not bama a** d thomas who's the worlds biggest underachiever, what's the deal

and who cares what these bamas say, when it's game time, they aint sayin much except we suck, so when the games over it really doesnt matter

we seem to forget playing during gametime a lot and then we talk about it

Posted by: retroskins14 | September 27, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smokeybear2

Heh..Yeh, I still have remnants of the notion we live in a two-party system virally attached to my brain- I stand infected!!
That said, whether you're left or right, the Corporate Beast Lurking Behind The Gov't will run all kind of brown-shirt provocateuring on you if you threaten it with too much 9-11 Inside Job talk..Hell, Michael Moore has had several attempts on his life made..They keep squads of hired psychos in their looney wards, fer real..

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

4th Floor...

Posted by: rickyroge | September 27, 2010 2:05 PM |

hall made more than 2 bad plays yesterday. we have poor quality at both CB positions.

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

frak, don't run for office

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@Alex - I think Moore can be a good FS over the long run....HE was too deep on one of those 3rd down plays....but I think he can be a qaulity type starter...

Good pull on the Norv reference...the only thing is, this is year one...Norv was saying the same thing in year 6....the funny part of that was...he was finally right and in enters Snyder/Cerrato....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 27, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

DOH!! My bad, got political..Must Remember: All..Is..Dooomed..Stay ..Focused...On ..What...Matters: Death Rock, Death Music, Death Art,Death Literature, Death Culture...And The Deadskins..

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | September 27, 2010 1:55 PM

I know dude. Me and another hamster was talking about something way different on another thread this morning.

But to get off of that on onto your question, (call me Boren Jr.) I've seen the Skins bring Alexander and/or Chris (Wilson?) from the middle while Flect and Rocky drift back to the secondary.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Michael Moore has had several attempts on his life made..

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 2:17 PM

Too bad they didn't succeed

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

it's all yours poopy

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Michael Moore has had several attempts on his life made..

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 2:17 PM

Too bad they didn't succeed

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 2:26 PM |

now that's an easy cosign right there scamp

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Just how many of the Bush years were there a Dem Congress?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 2:11 PM |

Who gives a sh!t? Those days are long gone. Obama has had all of his time with a Dem congress and their numbers are plummeting. The point being that politicians suck ass at everything they do, that's why they're politicians because the only thing they have a talent for is lying with every waking breath they take, If they weren't politicians they be in prison for fraud or cons.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

4th,

Moore has "upside" but at the peak of his talent level do you see him ever being a pro-bowl/all-pro caliber FS? Do you see him ever being a 5 year starter

I think at his best he starts in the NFL for 3 seasons. Like it or not but its beyond time that the skins got serious at getting a stud FS.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Michael Moore has had several attempts on his life made..

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 2:17 PM

Too bad they didn't succeed

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 2:26 PM |

What? Didn't succeed? All you need to do is hide the salt shaker.

He'll kill himself out of utter depression.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 27, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I never thought I would say this, but it is our Defense, not our Offense that deserves most of the blame for our 1-2 start. Currently, we are dead last in Defense in the league, & we have not been able to get off the field on 3rd down. Despite, our red zone woes, the offense has improved exponentially! Look at the number of big plays you have seen thus far. However, allowing a dismal ram team to convert 7-14 on third down is a damn disgrace!!!! It looks to me like the 3-4 defense does not compliment some of our defensive players expertise, we need to get it together, because we are so much better than this! Let's hope we get it together by Sunday, so we can give McNabb a Homecoming to remeber!!!! Hail to the Redskins...the " Real " Americas team!!!!

Posted by: TheRealAmericasTeam | September 27, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheRealAmericasTeam | September 27, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 1:49 PM

...but since he's a 100% liar (like all of them, not singling him out) he will just install all of his own cronies and screw up just as bad as the previous administration.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I never thought I would say this, but it is our Defense, not our Offense that deserves most of the blame for our 1-2 start. Currently, we are dead last in Defense in the league, & we have not been able to get off the field on 3rd down. Despite, our red zone woes, the offense has improved exponentially! Look at the number of big plays you have seen thus far. However, allowing a dismal ram team to convert 7-14 on third down is a damn disgrace!!!! It looks to me like the 3-4 defense does not compliment some of our defensive players expertise. We need to get it together, because we are so much better than this! Let's hope we get it together by Sunday, so we can give McNabb a Homecoming to remeber!!!! Hail to the Redskins...the " Real " Americas team!!!!

Posted by: TheRealAmericasTeam | September 27, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"But the game I saw today reminded me so much of last year it's ridiculous."

Same players same results.

I don't think people are willing to accept that the players here are not good enough to games. They aren't consistent and thier play shows.

It's going to be a couple years before we rid ourselves of what Vinny Cerrato created: "The FrankenSkins"

"Let's not overreact. They were 4 - 12 last season."

Exactly, chill people. Sit back and have a beer...it's going to be a couple years.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 27, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Michael Moore has had several attempts on his life made..

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 2:17 PM

Too bad they didn't succeed

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 2:26 PM

Agreed. Besides, how could they miss? Stevie Wonder could shoot his fat azz on dumb luck alone.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 27, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Watching Democrats and Republicans argue about this pathetic situation they created is enjoyable.

F-*!ing amateurs.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I never thought I would say this...

Posted by: TheRealAmericasTeam | September 27, 2010 2:36 PM

I never thought you would say that...three times...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 27, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I want to change the Washington Redskins fans way of thinking on this loss; and I hope the teams and coaches will "hear me".

This was not the same team that played the Lions, they won week one, lost in OT at home; DID you read OT......When was the last time this team was in OT? ahem, to continue....

This team needs to take the booing and negative knee jerk reaction from the crowd they are "visiting" and turn it into motivational energy for the player, team and coaches of the Washington Redskins.

That is what I see successful teams do, year after year when they visit "other" stadiums and make the WIN happen. Where did our success go? Individual players need to keep their motivation and encourage those that aren't motivated to "get with the team spirit".

The team players, during the game - unless with the team Docs or Trainers or with a Coach - need to be on the sideline encouraging the members of the team on the field playing towards a successful outcome. All heart and soul needs to be forward thinking for all...fans included; and that is what I want to see - players supporting each other, specialized teams on the field, the offense, the defense........encouragement can be the killer for fear and insecurity felt in "enemy territory".

Can't change what has happened, it is what it is.......but we can impact the future.

Now get out there and stomp the feagles in the ground and use the feagle fans hate to motivate you onto victory! :) HAIL!

Posted by: DKanSkinFan | September 27, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

We need to get it together, because we are so much better than this!

Posted by: TheRealAmericasTeam | September 27, 2010 2:36 PM |

A really good head coach once said, "We are only as good as our last game." I'll let you figure out who it was.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

If not for the defense, and Hall in particular, the Skins start the season 0-1 to the hated Cowpies. The defense scored more than the offense against the Pies.

So let's defense won the first game and lost the second.

Yesterday, if EITHER the defense or offense stepped up, it's a winnable game. Again, 1 for 10 on 3rd down ain't gonna win many games. Three times deep in the Red Zone, and coming away with 9 points ain't gonna win many games.

Blame the defense sure, but blame the offense too. 1 for 10 on 3rd down against the Rams? Zorn could have done better.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 27, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

it's all yours poopy

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 2:28 PM
----------

It's all mine? Nice. Reminds me of the opening scene in The Omen.

It's all for you Poopy, all for you.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Not all of them......

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 2:13 PM

Yes sir...ask Beck and Hannity. They told me.

For reals...I think Dems held congress 6 of the 8 years.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

We need to get it together, because we are so much better than this!

Posted by: TheRealAmericasTeam | September 27, 2010 2:36 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 2:39 PM

And Tom Boswell wrote in today's Post:

"This is what happens when a 6-10 team thinks that it's a 10-6 team."

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"What makes us so much better? We were 4-12 last year and we just lost to the stinking Rams."

Agreed.

See my post a couple posts ago. ;)

A lot of guys here now will not be on this team 2 years from now.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 27, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I said it this morning and I'll say it again. If we beat Philly this weekend, which we can, that puts us in 1st place in the NFC East.

It's a long season, and the team is only going to get better, as it irons out the mistakes.

Donovan will beat Philly this weekend, and we can all resume our happy lives. Now I think I'll go to the breakroom and get some kool-aid out of the fridge.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Shanny presser in a couple of minutes. Will be interesting to see if he actually says anything substantive. Doubt it.

Posted by: swowra | September 27, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 1:52 PM

Talking heads...dude chopping his forarm with in the video. Right?

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm optimistic.... that we'll have a good draft pick next year, which we'll need after McNabb leaves this crappy team at the end of this season. And who can blame him? Paging Mr Allen... paging Mr Allen... you have a spin room meeting at 4pm.

Posted by: pgugino | September 27, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak

Obviously those attempts failed because the bullets and knives can't get through all the fat to do any bodily damage.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 27, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

We need to get it together, because we are so much better than this!

Posted by: TheRealAmericasTeam | September 27, 2010 2:36 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 2:39 PM

And Tom Boswell wrote in today's Post:

"This is what happens when a 6-10 team thinks that it's a 10-6 team."

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 2:51 PM |

How much more honest can you be. We just don't have a lot of really good players. These guys think they are more talented than the next team but they aren't. If they were they would beat teams like the Rams and the Lions on talent alone. We have a bunch of average players that are getting older and a few new good ones that we got through draft picks, which we continue to give away. Landry looks like he's coming around, Orakpo, One Man Gang, possibly Carriker on defense, LFB. Offense, Trent Williams...Santana Moss and that's the list. Jammal Brown may get it back but hasn't yet...who else? Who else would you people put on your team if you were building one. I might add Rocky Mac and Carlos Rogers as backups. Possibly Moore but that's it. DHall and Haynesworth are good enough to be backups but cost way too much for them to except that role. This team needs draft picks and young free agents and needs to stop giving away draft picks.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't mean anything until you show it. This team has always been all talk, no show.

Until I see it I find no reason to be optimistic things are going to change. Like someone said yesterday, this was a game where we were going to see how much different this team is from last year. They came out unprepared and were blown out by the sorry Rams. There's just no excuses. And to hear Haynesworth say ""We didn't focus. We kind of expected, this is the Rams, we'll come in and beat them" is unbelievable! Did this team not learn anything from last year against the Lions?!

Posted by: rachel216 | September 27, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

For reals...I think Dems held congress 6 of the 8 years.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, you got it wrong. I hope you don't work for a lobbying firm.

The Republican party held the congress till '06.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

You are absolutely right that there is no comparison to last year's game. IT WAS WORSE!!

Let's stop the nonsense. It will be at least three years required to resurect the glory days. The key to the road back is the offensive line and the new "team" has not really addressed that weakness.

Get Real!!

Posted by: 15of18 | September 27, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

"Don't forget the ever-popular "We're GONNA be a good football team". One of Never Nervous Norvell's favorite lines."

The one I can't get out of my head is "We really competed out there ..."

Posted by: zimbar | September 27, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

New team?! Did something happen, at some point that I missed? Has this team from 2008, 2009 been totally replaced EXCEPT for 'Tana Man? What's he smoking, b/c he seriously needs to pass that to the left.

Gimme a break! This is WORSE IMO than what happened under Zorn.

HTTR

Posted by: Southernbelle_aurora | September 27, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Peace, Y'all

Hell
To
The
Deadskins

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | September 27, 2010 10:22 AM |

febreze...skunk...he-he-he. good ones.

Posted by: 10peterbilt | September 27, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Pssst, Cowb!tche$...y'all LOST to these "skunks".

CHOKE ON THAT!

HTTR

Posted by: Southernbelle_aurora | September 27, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in Wash. DC and now live in Atlanta, Ga and I am a die hard Redskin fan. In my opinion, the Redskins will have a better record than they had last year, but not too much better. I think they can win atleast 8 games this year. They can not play the 3-4 defense and need to go back to the 4-3 defense. Again, they need to address the running back and a big, tall, and physical WR in next year's draft.We need to be patient with this new coaching staff. To be honest, I think it is going to take atleast 2 years before you see the Redskins dominate like in the John Riggins years. So let's be patient and continue to support our team. They are going to turn it around, but it is going to take time. Hail Redskins.

Posted by: MauriceRaeford | September 28, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

We have to draft younger hungry ball players.100 million to ball players won't get it.Don't trade draft picks for players that other teams do not want. If they were that good they wouldn't be trade bait.

Posted by: kenobill2 | September 28, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenobill2 | September 28, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenobill2 | September 28, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

This team will be better then last years
BUT were talking 6-10 maybe 7-9 here.

So 6 more wins are possible.

Need to get a lot younger and that does not happen if you trade away pick all the time.

Posted by: drpolarbear | September 28, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

OK everybody , get down from that ledge , get the razor away from your wrist , and count to 10 -- Sheesh what a bunch of pu**ies -- Look, as a long time 'Skins fan I'm as sick of this s**t as anyone , but did anyone really think the 'Skins were going to be SuperBowl material this year? 'cmon ... The fact is the 'Skins are too long-in-the-tooth & too short on talent , the predictable result of the previous Snyderatto management style of short-sighted incompetance , which is not likely to be undone in one crummy off-season by ShanAllen or anyone else (not as jacked-up as this team was / is) ... My wish is for the 'Skins to develop into a year-in-year-out contender , in the way teams like the Steelers,Pats,Colts are , and that doesn't happen overnight (it didnt for them & it wont for us) ... The first step in that long road has even been accomplished , with the exit of Ceratto & Snyder handing football operations to ANYONE but him & Ceratto ... But it's gonna take time, my guess is at least 3 more drafts , to get there ... So hold on, it's gonna be a bumpy ride, but at least the jalopy is pointed in the right direction ----

Posted by: RoidRage | September 28, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

So our offense finally shows signs of getting better but now our defense is awful. I figured this would happen. It looks like we are at least 2 drafts away from a decent team. Hopefully we win a couple more games this season. I don't see us winning at Philly this weekend, no chance of it. Really, we are lucky to have even won that Dallas game...

Posted by: mhadidia | September 28, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey MrIrvin88 - tough talk from a soft team! Tony and the cowgirls lost game one of the season, so..................

Posted by: skins10 | September 28, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse