Reasons for using HGH are myriad for players in a grueling game

In the Redskins' 2009 media guide, wide receiver Santana Moss is listed at 5 feet 10, 200 pounds. Moss actually appears a little shorter than that and he's definitely not among the Redskins' hulking players.

The fact that sources have linked Moss's name to Canadian doctor Anthony Galea, who is charged with smuggling and distributing human growth hormone, might seem surprising to some fans. Many subscribe to the notion that only the game's biggest players use performance-enhancing drugs to add and maintain muscle mass. But Moss's inclusion in the Galea case seems to reveal that players - regardless
of size - seek a boost to remain as healthy as possible in a grueling game.

When Moss was struggling with a severe groin problem and other injuries during the 2007 season, I remember seeing the strain on his face when we spoke privately in the parking lot in October at Redskins Park. He told me how disappointed he was about letting down owner Daniel Snyder and then-coach Joe Gibbs, saying he owed them because they were responsible for providing everything he had financially.

Moss was inactive for two games that season. He said he was determined to work as hard as he could to help the Redskins as the season progressed. Moss played a major role in the season-ending four-game winning streak that resulted in an NFC wild-card berth, averaging 16.1 yards per reception and scoring two touchdowns. He had eight receptions for 115 yards and a touchdown as the Redskins closed the regular season with a 27-6 victory over the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field.

Players want to play. They want to be on the field with their teammates. For veterans who are considered team leaders, returning as quickly as possible from injuries is a priority, many players have told me, and Moss is respected in the locker room because of his production in past seasons.

So it's not about just being as big as possible for some players who take performance-enhancers. Many want something to help them heal faster and prolong their careers. Of course, that's not to argue there are better reasons than others for athletes to use drugs to help them perform. But there is more than one reason.

By Jason Reid  |  May 20, 2010; 11:51 AM ET
Categories:  Santana Moss
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NFL doesn't need positive test to suspend Santana Moss
Next: Galea's lawyer: Injury treatment, not performance enhancement, was goal

Comments

HGH is mainly used for healing of an injury...

So, JReid is taking the good cop role and MEase BAd Cop????

Moss is one of his 'sources'??

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 20, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"the best thing about him was those stupid costumes and he couldn't even keep that up.

Posted by: monk811"

Nope, the best thing about Portis is he's just 880 yds away from being the Skins all-time rusher..

Posted by: frak | May 20, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

That's the WORST thing for Riggins!
No, the best thing for Portis would be just to keep his mouth shut and start playing up to his potential, which is slowly drifting away with age. Then he might get the record, which I'm not so sure he deserves anymore.

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

That's the WORST thing for Riggins!

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Why would Portis not deserve it?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell would be a welcomed addition right now.

Hey, at least Joey Galloway who will be 39 in Nov. just moved up the depth chart.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 20, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Does something have to be "proven" before a player can be suspended? What's the standard here when we're talking about HGH?

It seems like rather shaky ground... but then Sheriff Goodell probably won't be inhibited by anything you and I consider shaky when he hands down his verdict.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 20, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

This is freakin' great.

I've been defending Moss up here for some time - his output, his work ethic, his character.

Forget these guys - I'm done trying to stick up for ANY of them, b/c you just don't know.

It's simple for me now:

If you win - I love you.

If you lose - Get off my flippin' team.

Who are you? I don't care.

BTW, anyone interested in buying a gently-used Santana Moss jersey??

Posted by: p1funk | May 20, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 20, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Big Ben got suspended and nothing was "proven". I think if I was an NFL player I would stay as far away from these docs as possible. Avoid them like the plague. Just having your name associated with them can get you suspended.

It's just too likely Moss took something.

If you are seen leaving your pot dealers house or vice versa you may not have been buying anything, but it's really likely.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and considering how much I rip the "Insiders" for failing to get timely "insider" news, let me be consistent and praise them for getting this insight to the story out first.

I just read an ESPN blurb about it, and they are citing the WaPo.

Well done, fellas...

Posted by: p1funk | May 20, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Funny how some are now referring to Roger Goodell as Sheriff Goodell.
Hey folks, the NFL needed a Sheriff.
I think it is great, the standards have been raised, expectations are now higher.
When it is our guys, they are accountable as well.
If Moss is guilty, he is guilty.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 20, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

According to documents included in the case file Galea kept records of which players he visited along with dates and what "treatments" they received. Moss received over 50 "treatments" between 2007 to 2009 and in fact Galea was on his way to see MOSS when he was intercepted by border patrol trying to bring in various items including HGH.

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

This is a good post Reid. This is a big story, and although I feel like you guys are rushing to judgment a bit, at least you are attempting to show both sides. Moss obviously is very prideful, and he wants to do right by his employer and himself, but has perhaps lost his way a bit in trying to do so.

I think you'll see Santana come clean on his own and admit to the league what happened, eat a 4 gamer and move on.

P.S.

Settle down Haynesworth, by "Eat a 4-gamer" I meant a suspension, not the burger named after you at the diner down the street.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | May 20, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

BTW, anyone interested in buying a gently-used Santana Moss jersey??

Posted by: p1funk | May 20, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Authentic or replica and how much? I don't have the Moss jersey.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

That's the WORST thing for Riggins!

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Why would Portis not deserve it?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I just feel like the record should be broken by a team player, someone that practices when they are supposed to and doesn't tattle on other players like a little girl who got pushed off the seesaw. I actually do like Portis, and I remember what he did for us that first play-off year he was with us and took us on his back to get us to the playoffs, but seems to me he has changed a little, or maybe he was that way all along and I refused to see it. Now, Riggo could be selfish at times, but I have a hard time rooting for someone like Portis to break one of Riggo's records. Sorry, just my 2 cents.....

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

While I'm thinking its quite likely Moss got HGH, this doctor does other forms of treatments (the blood spinning thing). This story may play out in a straightforward manner -- it may not.

Me, I'm not jumping to any conclusions. But Moss and his agent ought to be talking HONESTLY to Shanahan, so he can determine what the team needs to do next.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 20, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX

-----

Well there's a federal case, and while it isn't illegal to have used HGH (thus no charges against Moss), they will probably need him as a witness. That's pretty clear proof he's used HGH if that happens and he testifies as such.

I'm getting tired of people ragging on Portis. Sure his English sucks but all he wants is to win and have fun doing it. Imagine if he was as dispassionate as Russell. The guy's a Redskin and still one of the better players on the team, regardless of getting worn down.

Posted by: Keiser | May 20, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

BTW, anyone interested in buying a gently-used Santana Moss jersey??

Posted by: p1funk | May 20, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Authentic or replica and how much? I don't have the Moss jersey.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

White replica.

Shoot, I'll give it to you for free if you pay the shipping. And if the reports are confirmed to be true.

I got kids.

And daddy's not going to be wearing anyone's jersey that's up to the kinds of things that daddy wouldn't be proud of in his own life or theirs - and cheating isn't one of them.

Problem is what jersey now?

Cooley? - junk on the internet
Portis? - tranny-dressing and bad attitude
AH? - pass
McNabb? - sorry, still need a little bit of time to get that Philthy Iggle stink off him

I guess I can go Fletch or Orakpo at this point...

Posted by: p1funk | May 20, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 20, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Problem is if i am shanny, i tell him not to tell me anything. Cause if he tells me the truth, and then lies about it to goodell or the feds, then my butt is in a sling since i know stuff.

Hard spot to be in as a coach. But he is probably looking at more than a 4 game suspension. If it is 50 treatments over 3 years. Now if goodell cant get info other than he is implicated, he may just do the 4 and be done.

But I guess whenever it all comes out, he couold go back and suspend him more. There is no 'fair' with the NFL

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 20, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Keiser

Portis basically quit on Jim Zorn in late 2008 and didn't come ready to play in 2009. Lost a ton of respect for Portis in the process.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 20, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I know like it seems I just busted on him, but what I spoke was the truth. I think he actually has the best vocab. skills out of all the "U" players. I think he can still play, and I thought he was running well last year it's just that the yardage didn't show up because of the inept O-line. I just have a problem with his attitude and personna, if he breaks the record great. As long as he's a Redskin I'll root for him.

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Funny how Portis, who's done more for this team, gets sh*tted on at every opportunity, but with Moss people are pulling the "have you forgot..." line.

Also funny how people who more than likely never done anything substantive in their entire pathetic existence except park their fat asses in front of their computer and bang their chubby digits on their greased and crum-loaded keyboards continue to rip a FOOT-BALL PLAY-YER grammar skills.

Your staunch grammar skills still haven't given you the riches and fame that Portis and Moss have and it never will.

And it absolutely tears you up inside.

Admit it already and STFU.

Haters coming out the woodwork on this... ufb...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 11:24 AM |

Portis pimp. What's next dick head? A fist fight between you and Dez B's pops to see who gets to pimp his moms? Good luck with that.

Posted by: ElDrano | May 20, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

i don't care about these "myriad" reasons or excuses. if it's banned, it's banned.

i hope one day we end up with a zero tolerance policy. we could call it the "one strike rule."

Posted by: bcarothers | May 20, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 20, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Shanny's smart response at this point:

"We are letting the proper authorities handle this investigation. If a time comes when the team needs to act, we will do so in coordination with the proper authorities and the NFL. In the mean time, our singular focus is to prepare for the upcoming football season."

Posted by: p1funk | May 20, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

monk811, I'm not on board with your interpretation of the term "deserves." When you're talking about the cumulative yardage amassed by a running back over his career playing with one team, that's pretty doggone objective. If Portis rushes for more yards as a Redskin than Riggins did, he gets the record. There's no value judgment necessary.

I get your point, though, that you may consider Portis un-worthy of holding a franchise record. I heartily disagree on that, but so be it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 20, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

Go for the Orakpo jersey, I'm getting it this season. If the reports are true I'll hold you to it. I'll pay shipping.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"Moss used a banned substance for over 2 years and he shouldnt be suspended??? ok right"

I was tempted to vote "no" but you have to abide by the rules they give you so I voted "yes."

NFL players take a beating like no other sport. Moss is an acception to the rule since he is a WR, it's not like he's an OL/DL or anything.

He "runs" fast and catches 5-7 balls per game. Does he block on the egdes? Probably not, and if he does it's against guy his own size in most cases.

Crazy.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 20, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"To anyone who is still in denial about Brian Cushing taking steroids feast your eyes on this.."

No doubt in my mind that dude did/does steroids.

Next year he will come down to reality and you'll hear about how he had a "sophmore slump."

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 20, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

**Peeps in...

sees the HGH and Moss talk is not going anywhere anytime soon. But not hating the discussion. It is news...

Also sees in inbred faggit piece of dogsh*t trying to bait, while I'm dicking my "El Drano" into his moms mouth while his wife and grandmother tickles my balls, and his daughter and aunt lick my asscrack.

... Wasn't too overwhelmed by any of it.

Out to lunch**

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I just read an ESPN blurb about it, and they are citing the WaPo.

Well done, fellas...

Posted by: p1funk | May 20, 2010 12:39 PM |

Actually it was a Buff paper that outed Moss, not WaPo. RI even admitted such in an earler post. You should read more RI and less ESPN.

Posted by: ElDrano | May 20, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Shanny's smart response at this point:

Posted by: p1funk

That is a smart response ... but its not the smartest move. Part of preparing for the season is recognizing if one of your players might be absent.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 20, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe there is a difference between deserves and un-worthy, i don't know. But to me it's the same.
Did Jerry Rice deserve to be the all time leading reciever, definately. He was a team player and played his azz off.
Did Emmitt Smith deserve to be the all time leading rusher, in my opinion no. Barry Sanders should have broken that record and played an additional 5 years or so. Emmitt had too good of an o-line where as Barry had none.
Does Michael Irvin deserve to be in the HOF? HELL NO!!! He was given too many breaks when he probably should have been behind bars, and the stats didn't show for me.
Just because you have the stats amassed from a cumulative carreer of rushing or catching, doesn't mean you always deserve what you get.

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

My apologies to L. Landry, C. Carlos, and R. Mac; I posted yesterday that it has to be one of those 3 after eliminating everybody else on the team since 2007 via my faulty assertions. S.Moss deceived me by blatantly refuting any question concerning HGH, really, I was confused by S.Moss statements, but I was sold on his lies. Skins Fans! We have 2 situations and thus requires 2 questions. First, would S.Moss now have to prove he is as good a player without HGH? Which could be a good thing for the team. Second, would A.Haynesworth also have to prove to doubters that working with his personal trainer is the way to go for his off season preparations? That also could be good for the team. Two ticked off star players with something to prove is definitely good for the team. However, If both S.Moss and A.Haynesworth situation impact their games negatively, guys we are doomed; lets not forget, our best offensive weapon to date is S.Moss, and our best defender is still A.Haynesworth, God knows we need both just to have 8-8 season with luck, 10-6, without both of these players, fasten your seat belts for another top 5 pick in the next draft.

Posted by: abxinc | May 20, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Before I got married had kids lost any sense of free time I hit the gym daily. I know people that have done "a few cycles". Having been someone who did workout let me telling you something right now Cushing did steroids just face it you do not get that big that fast naturally it doesn't happen. You can give me a lot of B.S. about genetics etc. but without taking something your body will regenerate muscle that quickly.

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Crazy.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 20, 2010 12:54 PM
=====================================

You never played WR (or probably any other position in football) ever in your life.

WR (unlike OL/DL) run full speed and get hit on slants by dudes sometimes more than twice their size.

The same way that quarterbacks get hit by blitzing safeties and linebackers, WRs get hit but they are running full speed into the collision.

you are indeed crazy.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | May 20, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

TO talk.... puhleeze. We don't need the 8th grader. Bringing in TO would be like the paniced signing Taylor.

People are really gonna freak when the other shoe drops....

Sure is interesting that there are 4 viable RB candidates on the roster isn't it???

Is SM89 really one of the famous faces of the League as described (briefly before the tweet got pulled) by Jeremy Jarmon? Or is a famous face of the League more famous than SM89?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 20, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

... Wasn't too overwhelmed by any of it.

Out to lunch**

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Bait taken........

what a sucker

Posted by: rupertpupkin | May 20, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc | May 20, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Problem is, Moss might be ticked off serving a suspension on the sidelines, and Haynesworth might be ticked off playing for another team, hopefully not playing us this year. He would eat our Guard fodder up faster than once of his twinkies!

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm behind 'Tana. This may have been against the rules, but it isn't wrong.

Posted by: tgerbracht | May 20, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

This story is FAR from over let us not forget Tiger Woods, A Rod, and Tom Brady have also been linked to Dr. Galea. Remember the official investigation sites 23 players Moss looks to be one so who are the other 22? 11 of those on the list are from Cleveland! Say it aint so Lebron

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

This just in: Majority of NFL/MLB use steriods and HGH. Who cares.

Most high school/college students use as well. People who don't even play sports use.

So don't be shocked if an athelete gets caught.

Posted by: jimmyclausen | May 20, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

This just in: Majority of NFL/MLB use steriods and HGH. Who cares.

So don't be shocked if an athelete gets caught.

Posted by: jimmyclausen | May 20, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Still don't have all the facts but everyone is drawing definitive conclusions

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | May 20, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Tgerbracht doing something against the rules is inherently wrong.

You can still like Moss but what he did was wrong

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Still don't have all the facts but everyone is drawing definitive conclusions

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | May 20, 2010 1:15 PM
..................

riiiight.... santana is only mentioned as a "witness", right? maybe he "witnessed" some marginal role-player type player taking HGH. yeah, that's it!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 20, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

like your mother....

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

beep beep, if anyone's still in here

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

It is a shame what these guys have to endure to play the game of football.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 20, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

CTFU @ those who really care that Moss used HGH to recover from an injury. SO WHAT!!!!! Get over it!!

Posted by: eazy413 | May 20, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse