Redskins rest, coaches pleased with progress

And on the 50th day, they rested.

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said he cut the team's third minicamp a day short because he's pleased with the effort and progress he's seen throughout the team's intensive off-season workout program, which began 49 days ago.

"We've had such great participating in this off-season program. Guys have done far and beyond what I was hoping for, watching film and the little things and giving themselves a jump," Shanahans said. "I've done this through the years, I've done this since I've been a head
coach, to give the guys a break. Sometimes it's an OTA day, sometimes it's a minicamp."

The Redskins concluded their final minicamp on Thursday afternoon with everyone in attendance except defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth. Overall, coaches seemed pleased with the team's progress since players first reported to Redskins Park for the off-season conditioning program
13 weeks ago.

"I think we got a lot done," Shanahan said. "I think any time you throw the whole package over a 20-day time frame, there's a lot involved. We've worked pretty extensively over the last five weeks -three practices a [week] - I think we made some strides. Still looking forward to going to camp July 29th, kind of getting started again."

Players and coaches will now have the next six weeks off before they report for training camp. Coaches say they've introduced every concept during minicamps and organized team activities (OTAs), but they'll be looking for even more at training camp.

"Until you put pads on, you're guessing at a lot of different positions," Shanahan said. "But what you try to do is learn the system, learn what we're doing offensively, learn the terminology, so
once you put the pads on, you can react, you don't have to think. Same thing defensively. Until you get the pads on, actually get better at tackling, do the things you have to do to be a better defensive team, it's a little bit premature. But you have to feel very comfortable with the system. You have to be able to react and not think. I think we've been able to do that."

One of the bright spots of Thursday's practice was receiver Santana Moss, who was able to practice and showed no visible signs of pain in his knee.

"You saw what he did today. He had a good practice today," said Shanahan, who noted that he still hasn't been contacted by the league to discuss the ongoing HGH investigation in which Moss's name surfaced. "You just got to keep on running, get in football shape. I like where he's at."

By Rick Maese  |  June 17, 2010; 2:35 PM ET
Categories:  Santana Moss , offseason workouts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: If Albert Haynesworth won't play nose tackle for the Redskins, who will?
Next: Trent Williams fires his agent

Comments

1st

Posted by: skinfanman | June 17, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

First, to say hmmmm....

Posted by: hbu_dog | June 17, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

nice to hear the tidbit about Moss.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 17, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Red - what MJ celebration do you think Kobe imitates tonight?

1998? (like last year)

1992? The "2" sign up on the scorer's table?

1996? Crying with ball in the locker room?

My money is on 1992....

(evil laughter)

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 17, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

How is the Silverback been doing? Has 'Rakpo been giving him the business?

Posted by: Predator48 | June 17, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

(repost)

zcezcest

"... back to days around the Albert signing ... gonna be posting some of our reactions at the time ..."

I got a win here.

I wasn't for the signing as, I remember, hoping the redskins would make a move or trade for whatever was the best free agent offensive lineman.

Post it, dude, and win today's 1st Weekly Golden Post Award.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 17, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Man, I hate this time of the year. This is the lowest part of the offseason. Hope we have some interesting cuts and additions to hold us over to training camp. Would love to hear how it goes with DT11, MK12 and co, in Arizona with Mac5.

Posted by: roccoskins | June 17, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

All God's Knees Need Some TLC Ever So Often, Santana!!

What's the word?? JOHANNESBURG!!!

Posted by: frak | June 17, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

ryp, hope you get a paper cut on your eye with that post.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 17, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest

I got a win here.

Post it, dude, and win today's 1st Weekly Golden Post Award.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 17, 2010 2:43 PM

you mean I could win an award? That's enough of a reason to delete your comment, if it was even in there in the 1st place

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 17, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

1st

Posted by: skinfanman

OMFG!

Posted by: iubiquity | June 17, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Did a little poking into RI history ... back to days around the Albert signing ... gonna be posting some of our reactions at the time ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 17, 2010 2:38 PM |

Really? Why? Most of us at bird already. As I recall I wasn't really for or against it as much as I wanted oline. Once it happened I got on board because whatta are ya gonna do? I support my team.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 17, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

DT11 is loaded with potential...And some people are just, well, loaded...

Posted by: frak | June 17, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Blogga History

*******

Personally i love the Big Al signing

Posted by: cocodc1 | February 27, 2009 2:27 PM

No denying the talent Haynesworth brings.
I just don't like the risk/reward profile. Too many eggs, too few baskets.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 27, 2009 2:41 PM

It's nice that we signed Haynesworth
BUT
I think we would have been MUCH better off if we had used the money to sign a few new decent offensive linemen.

Posted by: charley42

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 17, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

*******

Redskins definitely significantly improved their D. For all you haters who think we overpaid, even skip bayless just said that he would shell out 100 Million for Albert Haynesworth. When the most obnoxious negative guy on ESPN likes this deal, you know we obviously did something right.

Posted by: hokiesmokie | February 27, 2009 3:07 PM

yeah, Haynesworth will be on the bench with an oxygen mask ala Riggins and Golston will be in. While the team slowly slides into oblivion.

Posted by: periculum | February 27, 2009 3:09 PM

Uh-oh. Don Banks thinks we made a mistake in signing Hall and Haynesworth. This is bad. He's been so pro-Redskins up until now. I think he might be getting his stuff from Cork, because he's trotting out Stubblefield to prove that Snyder doesn't know what he's doing.
God, I wish for once we could prove the haters wrong, but I'm not convinced that we'll do it this time.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 27, 2009 3:23 PM

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 17, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

********

I would rather have Haynesworth on our sideline than an opponents. Let's see how many 10+ yard runs Jacobs gashes us up the middle for next year.

Posted by: alocowboy | February 27, 2009 3:58 PM

Kemoeatu, Steelers agree to $20M deal
Clayton reports. Bummer...I was hoping the Dan would take a run at him.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 27, 2009 4:08 PM

First off...EVERYONE WANTED AH....The Skins got him and needed him....And how soon we forget...The Contract means NOTHING! they will redo his deal in two seasons....

Posted by: leevi98 | February 27, 2009 4:30 PM

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 17, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

looks like nobody sounded the beep beep alarm over here

Posted by: --swb | June 17, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

*************

It's all about the Benjamin's. He'll tank,we all know the history here in DC.

Posted by: ridgely1 | February 27, 2009 1:13 PM

I've always been against Snyder and Cerrato but Haynesworth and Hall are two players on defense that can actually win you games.
I see no gamble this time, they are not old washed up players as years past. They are in thier prime.

Posted by: rmcazz | February 27, 2009 1:14 PM

Personally, given Haynesworth's track record, I think that's a typical gamble by one of the NFL's mediocre franchises.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 27, 2009 1:16 PM

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 17, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 17, 2010 2:00 PM

I think maybe that was Starke lighting the cigarette for Vinny...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 17, 2010 2:02 PM |

...and hopefully passing out the rifles.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 17, 2010 2:30 PM

and no last words for Vinny. he's said too much.

Posted by: RedCherokee | June 17, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

************

i dont know boys and girls...feels a lot like here we go again...little danny cant control himself and overpays for the big splashes...

Posted by: deadskin | February 27, 2009 1:23 PM

I hate the deal, and hate the fact that Snyder and Cerrato screwed the fans again.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | February 27, 2009 1:40 PM

I hope Haynesworth stomps on Napoleon's face. Way too much money for a player who is (1) fat, (2) injured, (3) lazy, (4) getting old, and (5) non needed position.
Posted by: duh2mag | February 27, 2009 1:30 PM

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 17, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

************

disagree with his model for building the 'Skins. Plash hasn't worked in his decade of doing it, so I'm not expecting this to work either.
Hopeful, yes. Optimistic, no.

Posted by: 4-12 | February 27, 2009 1:52 PM

At least i have the CAPS to cheer for.

Posted by: Devo2 | February 27, 2009 12:59 PM

I disagree and violently agree with TE (talent_evaluator) on this one. This smells like another (Brandon) Lloyd.
Frickin' pencil-neck geek. How in the heck did you get to be owner of this team?

Posted by: periculum | February 27, 2009 2:29 PM

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 17, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Re: George Starke on the Steinberg Bog.

Of course Vinny didn't want the old-timers around! I just can't imagine why Snyder, if he's really a fan of the team, would go along with that.

Why in the world would Vinny want Hogs who retired 20 years ago hanging around, with more still in the tank than the stiffs he had blocking on Sundays?

I could see Joe Jacoby and John Riggins giving Vinny a blanket party for putting those bums in a Skins uni and acting like they ever had a chance.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 17, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse