Santana Moss evasive in Wednesday interview

When the Redskins broke up their workout (another of the organized team activities) Wednesday, I went to talk to Santana Moss, who was doing his work on the side as he recovers from offseason, arthroscopic surgery on his left knee. The conversation was interesting - not so much for what Moss said, but for what he didn't say.

Q: "How are you feeling?"

A: "Rehabbing. I ain't bothering nobody. I'm rehabbing. Getting better."

Q: "Are you at all surprised to hear that HGH report about someone on this team?"

A: "I'll talk about football. I don't know about nothing else. I ain't got nothing to do with nothing that ain't about me."

Q: "Okay, well, just to be clear, have you ever met this guy [Dr. Anthony] Galea?"

A: "Like I said, I ain't got nothing to do with that. I ain't got nothing to do with it. You want to talk about Redskins, I'll give you an interview. We ain't talking about Redskins right now."

Q: "But the guy was on this team. That makes him a Redskin."

A: "What that got to do with me?"

Q: "Well, does it have anything to do with you?"

A: "I'm just saying to you bro, you come to me right now, and I appreciate you coming to me the right way. I'm telling you right now, I'm talking about football. You talk about football, anything else out of that, no. You say, 'Santana, I got something to talk to you about,' then if it's about me, then I'll talk to you about it."

Q: "But here's what I'm saying to you, Santana. You can put it to bed right now if it's not you."

A: "What you want to do?"

Q: "I just want to ask ..."

A: "I'm telling you, if you want to talk about football, we can talk about football. I'm not going to answer none of your questions about somebody else unless it's pertaining to me. You know what I'm saying? Other than that, it's football."

Q: "But what I'm saying, I want to make sure it doesn't have anything to do with you."

A: "Until they say it has something to do with me, then we can talk about it. See what I'm saying?"

By Barry Svrluga  |  May 20, 2010; 10:14 AM ET
Categories:  Santana Moss
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Santana Moss received treatment from doctor accused of HGH smuggling, according to source
Next: NFL doesn't need positive test to suspend Santana Moss

Comments

FIRST to say it wasn't Moss. It was Cerrato.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 20, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Well, props where due: WaPo finally broke a story. Kudos fellas.

Try to rein in the blood thirst until all the facts come out though.

Posted by: McMetal | May 20, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

If Moss ends up getting a 4 game suspension, perhaps he could spend his time at my 12 year old's English class. He could use the lessons.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | May 20, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Well, props where due: WaPo finally broke a story. Kudos fellas.

Posted by: McMetal | May 20, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

What story is that you are talking about?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 20, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Major the FEDS have to name all 23 players involved in joint US/Canadian indictment of Dr. Galea. Those players could very well be subpoenaed to testify in the case. They have already said they are not looking to press charges against the players involved but in order to convict Galea the names will be released. The NFL is a different story HGH is a BANNED substance any player known to have used HGH faces suspension under current league rules period.

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Post didn't break the story...Buffalo News did...

Why are the Redskins letting Santana speak??

I like how he straight out carried BArry Srvluga, though....It's football time, you don't put speculation out there like that...That ain't how you do it....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 20, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Moss could work for BP or Haliburton pushing blame on someone else. Cause you can't understand a word he's saying.

Posted by: Devo2 | May 20, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Did someone else report this before the Post? I didn't see it on PFT this morning...

Well, if they weren't the first to name Moss, kudos rescinded.

Posted by: McMetal | May 20, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | May 20, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Come on Dream, you can't start out at such a high level, you don't want him to be confused and lost in the class.

Posted by: hackeynut00 | May 20, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

That is hysterical. Better than Abbott and Costello's Who's on First routine.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 20, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Post didn't break the story...Buffalo News did...

Posted by: 4thFloor

Thanks, should have known. At least they cut and pasted it in a timely fashion.

Posted by: McMetal | May 20, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

There is nothing substantive above...Why did this make RI? Why are we trying to bury one of our players? Is this RI, or cowboys insider?

Posted by: WheresMyCoffeee | May 20, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Soooo does this mean that he will now answer the questions?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 20, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Someone brought up the fact that HGH isn't tested by the NFL, therefore there can't be any suspensions. Not sure if it is or isnt, but it might fall under the NFL's conduct policy or could be construed as a PED. I might be wrong about this, but HGH is illegal unless used for specific health issues and administered by qualified doctors for valid reasons. Just like steroids can be administered for valid health reasons. I know Stallone was under some heat by the law for the use of HGH a couple of yrs ago but don't know what happened after that.

Posted by: ga8085 | May 20, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

American Idol Update: As I predicted Casey James was kicked off last night. Bowersox will win it all.

Oh yeah, and this sucks if Santana did it.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

---

Q: So now that people are saying its you, want to start talking about it like a man instead of acting like a ****ing punk.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 20, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Man, when the sharks smell blood in the water it's never a happy ending. Moss is still trying to be polite in telling the reporter to back off.

Posted by: sthai75 | May 20, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

That interview reminds me of an episode of My Name is Earl..

Earl: When did you start listening to Wu-Tang Clan?

Joy: Dang, I ain't cheating on you.

Barry: "But what I'm saying, I want to make sure it doesn't have anything to do with you."

Tana: "Until they say it has something to do with me, then we can talk about it. See what I'm saying?"

Ok Tana, now would you like to talk about it?

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 20, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Moss was more evasive during the interview than he's been on the field the last two years.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | May 20, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

---

Posted by: alex35332 | May 20, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I know right. They did say it has something to do with him and he still evaded the question.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I do. You're saying "I did it"...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 10:57 AM

Wish you were right about Bowersox. But I'm looking in a Crystal ball and I see Lee Dewyze as the next American Idol.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 20, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WheresMyCoffeee | May 20, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Thats an Fed up way to look at the world.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 20, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan

Maybe he wasn't taking enough of it?

Posted by: Predator48 | May 20, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

MY Stance on HGH has been the same before this incident came up:

This ain't performance enhancing and is some B.S. by stupid MoFos who get crowned as they have become Gods of the rule book....

They might as well make everything illeagal because it is all performance enhancing at the end of the day....Even taking a vitamin is perfomance enhancing...why can't they just eat their vegetables??

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 20, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

ALBERT HAYNESWORTH sent a text to Moss:

Thx Tana! Now they can stop talking about me for a while and focus on U. Ur a True team mate LOL!

Posted by: datruth21 | May 20, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Moss is still trying to be polite in telling the reporter to back off.

Posted by: sthai75 | May 20, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for the translation, I swear I missed the "please" and "thank you".

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 20, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Hey Devin Thomas, You ready to shine?

Posted by: TheFuzzyClam | May 20, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 10:57 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | May 20, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I gotta say, I like Lee more and more every week. But Crystal got me with that CCR song she did a while back.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

why can't they just eat their vegetables??

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 20, 2010 11:04 AM

Because it's probably the next item to make the banned list...

I say let 'em all take whatever they want. If someone wants to shrink their cock and balls and take years off their life to play football for a few years, let 'em have at it.

It's really only hurting themselves in the long run...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | May 20, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hackeynut00 | May 20, 2010 10:49 AM

well, i figured he was ahead of my 1st grader. perhaps not. Maybe he could go to the Dexter Manley school of Phonetics and Grammar.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | May 20, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

When reached for comment, former Cowboys safety Roy Williams said "I knew it!"

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 20, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

When reached for comment, former Cowboys safety Roy Williams said "I knew it!"

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 20, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

LOL

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Somewhere in Tennessee, Albert Haynesworth is sittin' on his boat eating a Ho-Ho laughin' his ass off.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 20, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Hmm. I think I kinda pointed this out yestidday.

And if anyone would need it - s' a little guy like Santana. Dumb move. But hey - give him credit for turning state's evidence!

That man is prepped to be a slot receiver.

Think he feels like this now:

?

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 20, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

ETrod - Do you have these one liners stacked up in a vault just knowing they will be relevent one day??? lololol

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 20, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

MY Stance on HGH has been the same before this incident came up:

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 20, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for your testimony Dr. Galea

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 20, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

HGH is not tested for in the MLB or NFL, therefore its safe to assume most players are taking it if they think it will help them. Both the Steelers and Patriots had team personel caought with viles of the stuff. No one questionined their superbowls after, including Goddell. HGH is much different than Steriods. All PED's are not created equal.

Posted by: hakimallen | May 20, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

man, why couldn't it have been a backup, like H.B. Blades or Colt Brennan. I'm gonna wait a little longer for more info, but the cat sure sounds guilty to me.

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Just saying I feel for the guy. Hate seeing him go down the Cushing route. I believe he will take responsibility when the the process is done and the time comes.

Posted by: sthai75 | May 20, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

How is something called Human Growth Hormone not performance enhancing?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 20, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

In a related story, RI has just learned that a second name from the Redskins has emerged in connection with Dr. Galea for use of a similar but different banned substance. Sources say that Mike Williams' name came up in conversations regarding the use of HSH - human shrink hormone. League sources have long stated the there was something "unusual" about the miraculous loss of weight by Mr. Williams and now those same sources are saying, "I told you so". Allegedly, Queen Latifa, Oprah and that fat guy from American idol have also been visited by Dr. Galea.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 20, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Funny how Portis, who's done more for this team, gets sh*tted on at every opportunity, but with Moss people are pulling the "have you forgot..." line.

Also funny how people who more than likely never done anything substantive in their entire pathetic existence except park their fat asses in front of their computer and bang their chubby digits on their greased and crum-loaded keyboards continue to rip a FOOT-BALL PLAY-YER grammar skills.

Your staunch grammar skills still haven't given you the riches and fame that Portis and Moss have and it never will.

And it absolutely tears you up inside.

Admit it already and STFU.

Haters coming out the woodwork on this... ufb...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

No, it's letting them take jobs away from the guys with big cocks and balls. If football was meant to be played by guys with little cocks and balls, Dan Snyder would be All-Pro.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 20, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Wonder if this is why some of the OTA's are closed to the media?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 20, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

but the cat sure sounds guilty to me.

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I think you mean he reads guilty.

end sarcasm

Posted by: alex35332 | May 20, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

What did Albert Haynesworth have to say on this shocking new development? Oh and when's he coming to camp?

Posted by: Keiser | May 20, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48
******************************
Correction; a BOX of Ho-Hos.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | May 20, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

This is my first post ever and I had to make it because people make me laugh with some of their opinions:

1.) Moss was my fav skin (and still is) and though this news is disappointing, he got a small trace amount in his knee for healing purposes only, it's not like he has been on it his whole career. I aslo READ on espn that he is probably NOT going to be suspended. Although I don't condone this, I'm simply not going to look at him like he's a A-Rod case/Canseco case.

2.) Someone said get a Cooley jersey, he's the safest player huh? I guess no one else but me had noticed he fumbles 5x per season the last 3! Maybe he should practice his ball handling skills before bloging and turning his hair different colors.

3.) Some of yalls ideas for trades are crazy in the fact that THEY WOULD NEVER HAPPEN!! Like Haynesworth (not AH, Haynesworth) for Andre Johnson..... the texans would laugh at that not to mention the also play THE 3-4. Everyone thinks their a GM but if given the chance you'd probably run the team into the ground worse than Cerreto!

4.) Orakpo is gonna kill it this year (how did Clay Mathews get more votes for D'ROY??) Landry better be ready to play for being the highest paid saftey in the leauge (not Ed Reed) the last two years, Clinton looks like he MIGHT be ready to get his job back, and FIGHT FOR OLE DC, can we actually get our 4th home playoff game in damn near 20 years anytime soon!?!?!

Posted by: EveryHomeGameSince87 | May 20, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

Well...I don't seek monetary riches and fame (or infamy) necessarily although I probably would not turn them down. SMs or CPs success does not affect me in any way shape or form. My ass is not fat although I do park it in front of a computer. But these two things I know:

- My life (or as you might call it, my pathetic existence) is substantive as I have done things by the book in an honest, fair and legal manner, created a great family and made this world a better place for the people and places around me in countless ways.
- Santana Moss is severely gramatically challenged.

Posted by: amaranthpa | May 20, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

ALBERT HAYNESWORTH sent a text to Moss:
Posted by: datruth21
________________________________________________

Post of the day!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 20, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

P.S. I agree redDMV, people seem to forget portis put it on his back the last 5 years. The people that think he's a waste are the same ones thinking Champbell never got a fair shot. 5 diff coordinators or 20 you should still have SOME kind of timing with the WR's, that boy never hit one guy in stride. I'm so glad I don't got to watch that bum anymore!!

Posted by: EveryHomeGameSince87 | May 20, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor |

And this analysis is based on what, all those years you ran a Journalism school?

I THINk what you said was, I have my eyes shut, my ears plugged and I don't want to hear or see anything bad about my Redskins.

What Srvluga did is known as supplying enough rope for the interviewee to hang himself, or hang himself up. What, you'd prefer he wrote the piece without interviewing Santana?

He gave Moss PLENTY of opportunity to deny the rumors and speculation, to defend himself and his name, and to deny deny deny. But Santana tried to outsmart the interviewer, play it coy, out fox him.

Not a single objective reader can read that piece and say "yup, no doubt in my mind, it ain't Santana."

Posted by: TheCork | May 20, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48
******************************
Correction; a BOX of Ho-Hos.

Posted by: nonsensical2001

He sunk his boat. Too many Ho-hos.

Posted by: TheCork | May 20, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | May 20, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Agree 100% and anyone who can't understand this, frankly, is not being honest with themselves.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | May 20, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV: i'm not entirely sure why you felt the need to insult me in your attempt to defend Santana. But the bottom line is that Moss may be a gifted athlete and he may be very personable...and we have no clue, at this point, whether he cheated by taking HGH. But what we do know is clear: he's one dumb mother. it's an indictment of The U.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | May 20, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I aslo READ on espn that he is probably NOT going to be suspended.
Posted by: EveryHomeGameSince87
---
Not sure where you read this? Everything I have read is that if Moss is linked to Galea he will be suspended regardless if he test positive or not.

Posted by: srobert1117 | May 20, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Openings in the U English Department ?

Another pathetic example of a University of Miami graduate who was given the same degree other kids have to work for because of athletic prowess...

I'm surprised Moss can spell HGH.

Posted by: petebowling1 | May 20, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Santana is smark off not to implicate himself with Galea. Whatever happens to him, it will be the result of the investigation by the Feds and the NFL into Galea's contacts and treatment of NFL players. It certainly sounds like he treated a lot more than just one Redskins player as he was visiting multiple players in different sports in various cities all last summer.

I don't think the NFL's CBA requires a positive test for HGS for a suspension. If the commissioner determines he has violated the NFL's good conduct clause (like Rothleisberger), he'll be suspended for 4 games. IF Moss admits to the NFL under questioning that he used banned substances to treat his knee, he'll be suspended.

Posted by: wizfan89 | May 20, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Say what you will about Santana...
The man is a Redskin, and laid his body on the line for that team.
He's a team player, and I'd expect that kind of answer from him
(maybe not in those specific words)

What he's saying is, I'm not making any comments about that situation, or about any of my team mates that might have some involvement. You want to talk football, or ask me a question about football - lets have it. That other stuff doesn't concern me, and I have no comment.

That may sound evasive to you, but it also could be called LOYALTY...if he knows more than he's saying --he's got someone's back. Even if the other person might be in the wrong. Santana is demonstrating he's not talking behind someone's back, and not a "RAT".
Hey...and if Santana is involved....well ???
He's done more for that team, then allot of other players have.
I'll be honored to buy him a hotdog & beer during his suspension, if that happens.

Barry, my friend, you probably never played football. There's something called Trust & Loyalty out there on that field. Now if you want to get all philosophical, and tell me about the negative impact this HGH drug thing might have on the team. I'd be willing to bet, there's not a single Redskins, who would have anything to say negative about Santana, in that situation. He's a team player, and deserves their support & loyalty. (including during bad times)

Santana - I got your back on this one...no matter how it eventually shakes out. I know your team mates do too.
Good Luck this season, I'll be rooting for all of ya !!!!
I know you guys are going to light em up !!!!!

AND...Barry, show a little patience yourself this season. Your just a johnny come lately sports reporter here, that doesn't know anything about the REDSKINS, and fan loyalty. Get with it, or find yourself another job reporting??? ... for say the Dallas Cowboys.
Hey Jason, that applies to you too.

Posted by: JAD2 | May 20, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

...and Albert (if your reading this) You need to get your walrus butt into camp and support your team mate. Cut all this bull sh*t out, and get in here.

Don't you want to be part of the havoc this team is going to inflict on other NFL teams this season????

You know damn well right how their going to line you up & use you, when they switch back and forth between 3-4 to 4-3 in different defensive alignments.

Rumor has it your just mad, cause you want to play some wide receiver. Well bro, you may be 'wide', but you ain't ever going to be a 'receiver'. That's Santana's job !!!!! I wouldn't mess with him either. With or without any HGH, he'll put a hurtin on your a--, and then you won't be able to catch him, to return the favor.

Albert....read my thread on team loyalty. I know in your heart you understand what that is all about. Time to put down the moon pie & RC cola and get your Butkus in here.

Posted by: JAD2 | May 20, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a shizzle?

Posted by: pquick6165 | May 20, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

What a fairy chase. If a reporter, sports reporter, or business executive takes an anti-depressant; does this not enhance their performance? Gosh, for them it's 'medicine.' For an athlete, who makes a living on the physical side of the fence, taking something to help get out of bed is 'cheating.'
Ponder for a moment; is not aspirin a performance enhancing substance? Where's the line? Is it just when the other fellow's ox is being gored that we're free to cheer the lion's devouring Christians.
Meanwhile, have another beer. Surely no one has ever suffered injury from alcohol.....

Posted by: petesleapingcat | May 20, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse