Posted at 6:47 PM ET, 12/12/2010

Santana Moss: "I'm just getting tired of it"

By Barry Svrluga

With nine seconds remaining Sunday, veteran receiver Santana Moss had every right to believe he had scored the game-tying touchdown against Tampa Bay. The Redskins had pulled within a point, and all that remained was the extra point to tie.

What happened next has already been well-documented - long-snapper Nick Sundberg sent the snap a bit high, and punter Hunter Smith couldn't get it down. The Redskins lost, 17-16, and afterward Moss - in his sixth season with the team - made it clear how frustrated he is.

"It's your job to come out here and play this game of football," Moss said, occasionally halting in his speech. "When you're playing this game, you're playing this game to win. Somebody got to win; somebody got to lose. But when you're just losing, and you know that you had a chance to win - I ain't talking about the last play. I'm just talking about throughout the game, throughout the years, throughout the weeks, throughout this year.

"When you're losing and you ain't got no say-so why," and he paused for several seconds. "That's why it hurts. That's why I feel the way I feel, because I'm just getting tired of it. Everybody play for their own perspective and their own reasons, but I put too much in it, and it means too much."

In his time with the Redskins, Moss has enjoyed two winning seasons - both under Joe Gibbs. And he is familiar with a theme that permeates Washington's locker room: The talent is there, but they haven't put it together. Whether that is true or not, Moss is 31 years old, and he realizes chances for sustained success are being frittered away.

"That's the thing that hurts the most," Moss said. "Opportunities come and go. Whether you're young, whether you been here a couple years or whether you're old, most of the guys know in here that this opportunity won't always be around for this team as far as individuals, for these coaches, for anybody that's going through this. Week-in, week-out, you see people come and go, and year-in, year-out you see people come and go.

"When you keep getting opportunities, and you're saying like, 'Wow, we're blessed. We keep getting opportunities. But what's opportunities when you don't come through? You can't keep getting chances."

Moss pledged to keep working over the remaining three weeks of the season. But the pain in his voice was obvious.

"I've been wishing for so long to where I'm just going to keep on wishing," he said. "I just hope, man, something good come out of this, whether it's this year or down the road. I feel like we're too good right now as a team to settle for what we settle for week-in and week-out. True and all, we played a good team, and you got to tip your hat off to them.

"But it's a lot of games that I've seen us just lose the game, and this year been to me more than any year, but when it all adds up, it just don't make no sense. I just hope as a team we can just pull it through. We got three games left, and I mean, for sure I'm going to go out there and play my heart out every week, but something got to come out of this, you know?"

By Barry Svrluga  | December 12, 2010; 6:47 PM ET
Categories:  Santana Moss
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Did the Redskins get a fifth down?
Next: Gano on missed FGs: "They felt good off my foot"

Comments

Sorry Moss but you have been a big part of the problem!

Posted by: doke1 | December 12, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Reading Mike Shanahan's excuses and ripping the refs... He needs to look at his own sideline management and heirarchy of who is in charge of the Offense. Because it surely appears Shanny (MIke) has an arrangement with Kyle that he takes over at each two minute point... before the end of the 1st half and at the end of the game.. If you taped the game you can see Kyle basically drop the clipboard to his side at these two time periods and his Dad takes over. Could be why Mike Shanahan said he was responsible for pulling McNabb from the last 2 minutes of the Detroit game.
Bottom line, its confusing the players at the worst time...when time management is critical...
Mike needs to accept who he has always been.. a control freak who cant entirely let go of the Offensive duties in the heat of the battle. The players need to know who the decision maker for the Offense is.. Or Mike should remove himself entirely from the Offense and let Kyle run the total show as the Offensive Coordinator so the confusion stops.. Otherwise, it will be more of the same..
Time running out as the Offense looks confusingly at the sideline wondering what the plays are and who is calling them.. Especially McNabb who looks almost now resigned to this sideline dysfunction.
This father/son Offensive Coordinator by committee is not working.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 12, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

"Sorry Moss but you have been a big part of the problem!"

Gotta catch the ball and not knock it up in the air so it gets intercepted. Also when you drop a ball on 3rd down it means you have to punt.

Sorry if you never understood that.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 12, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I've supported Shanahan to this point, but this is on his head. The special team gaffes, the clock mismanagement...it was almost as if Norv Turner never left. I still think this needs more time to play out but I gotta say this is first time I'm really questioning the direction of this team...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 12, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 12, 2010 7:00 PM

His worst move?

Yep, trading what will turnout to be a 2nd and 4th to the Eagles for McNabb.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

We sure don't look any different than we have the last three years. Moments of excellence, quarters of mediocrity punctuated by tragic dysfunction at the worst possible times.

Make the commitment to rebuild.

Set a goal for total dominance along the O and D lines. Draft accordingly.

Get rid of the players that don't give there all - no matter how high profile.

Find and retain playmakers. Schemes are great and all, but Playmakers win games.

Make it happen. Accept nothing less.

Posted by: edvar | December 12, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

"The talent is there, but they haven't put it together." The talent is where exactly? O-line? nope. D-line? Definitely not. Secondary? Average at best. Quarterback? yeah right. Receiving corps? HA! The problem is there is NO talent on this team. No youth. Until that problem is solved, this team is going nowhere.

Posted by: jayhwk75 | December 12, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

NFL lies and says it was a first down. NFL cover-up by changing the play-by-play. Washington Post typically uncurious and doesn't pursue the news story.

Posted by: ooyah32 | December 12, 2010 7:07 PM
===================
Who cares?? Its a non-story unless you're Tampa and you lost.
And if true, Santana and DM get a bogus TD reception.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 12, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jayhwk75 | December 12, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching the game on DVR right now. Unfortunately my heighbor already ruined the outcome for me so I can comment on here while I watch. First off, Torain looks like a beast early on. Second, when the hell are we going to get a damn field goal kicker thats consistent? Ridiculous.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 12, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Edvar is spot on. Total rebuild is what is required, to start with emphasis on building dominant O and D lines. If you don't have it there, nothing else really matters. Anyone watching the Patriots dismantle the Bears could plainly see the benefits of this philosophy. How many Super Bowls did Brady win without superstar receivers? Plenty of the right players trumps plenty of average/below average players salted with a few high salaried, spoiled superstars. KC and Atlanta are two teams that are now using this philosophy, I hope I'm still living (I'm 55 now) when the Skins finally see the light, but I'm beginning to lose hope of that happening in my lifetime. As far as using a high pick for a QB or WR, what round was Brady, Kurt Warner, or Johnny Unitas drafted? Top quality scouts (and support for them) is what is needed, it is time some of the owners money go into beefing up that critical area of the team. The players are out there, time to go find them, Belichik certainly knows how that is done.

Posted by: NAVContractor | December 12, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Cooley, Banks, Torain, Orakpo, Alexander, Armstrong, LL, Williams, and probably McNabb are the only carry overs I'd keep for next year. If there's a decent QB left by the time we pick fine get him, outside of that, every draft pick better be OL and/or DL.

Posted by: clark202 | December 12, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jayhwk75 | December 12, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Banks, Ryan Torain, Logan Paulson, Orakpo, Twills, AA, Terrance Austin, ...and I could go on. I didn't even mention our less talented youth. You can claim this team doesn't have talent, but I think today The younger players, even Keiland Williams, said, "Hey we got this." Ryan Torain is rushing for 172 yards, Keiland Williams catching for 60, Banks constantly tearing it up, Logan Paulson getting reps in for a TD? I personally am excited for the next few games.
I look forward to seeing our younger guys take the field to see what they can do. We are past the playoffs, so what else is there to do other then check out what our depth looks like?

Posted by: WishboneJr | December 13, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Its really not moss is fault who ever that was was stupid

Posted by: mhudson27 | December 13, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Moss isn't the problem and has never been the problem. The problem on this team is not enough quality players. This problem has been caused by poor trades, bad drafting and poor free agent acquisitions. Moss should have been moved to the slot position years ago, but the lack of another NFL quality wide receiver on the team forces the team to play him out of position where his size hurts him. The blame for the failure of the Redskins should fall squarely on the shoulders of Daniel Snyder. Firing Norv Turner before the end of the season, firing Shottenheimer, hiring Cerrato, hiring Spurrier, drafting Thomas and Kelly, and bringing in Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Haynesworth are just some of the mistakes he has made. But the worst mistake is assuming he knew how to run a NFL team. I hope Shanahan cleans house, but it doesn't look good for the immediate future.

Posted by: JAMNEW | December 13, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Its really not moss is fault who ever that was was stupid

Posted by: mhudson27 | December 13, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse
---------------

When Moss drops a ball that hits him in the chest and it gets deflected for a pick that is his fault.

Posted by: Joker99z | December 13, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Why do we always believe we have the talent? Every off season we believe there is only one hole. It is said better above, holes are everywhere. The players try hard and many are good, few are great but 52 positions do not grade close to top teams like Pats, Colts, Giants, Eagles, SD, Saints, etc. Hopefully, The Skins will build a top team some day. We had one once and understood how top talent at all positions wins games, playoff games etc. But a 52 person roster full of holes and try harders usually finds a way to lose. If you are also a Terp fan like many Skin fans you face a triple dose (Pro Football, College Football and College B ball) of weak teams that are built up in the pre-season to fail when they actually have to play the games.

Posted by: geoski | December 13, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

@ doke1 AMEN him and Cooley the numerous key passes they've dropped in critical situations or turnovers they both have had in crucial situations etc., I think part of the bigger problem is they all know if I don't make it here someone else will sign me so they have nothing to fear except starting over somewhere else they don't care just as long as a paycheck is coming in. I wish under the new CBA they'd go to a flat base salary for all players with incentive laden perks in the contract maybe these guys would focus more and play harder, they're given too much up front without the production ala A.H. and since they constantly refer to the game now as a business I think they should be run more like a business...I have a base yearly salary but with good hard work there is a possibility of a performance bonus!!!

Posted by: papaskynz | December 13, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

here we go again. the players say the same lie and the media buys it.

This team has 2 problems. 1st is the redskins lack talent and are thus sorry. It's not just front line players. MOss is a decent WR, but what else do we have at WR. I watched Philly-Dallas last night. Could our 2nd and 3rd string DBs step in and play a virtually flawless game? I sincerely doubt it from a talent and coaching perspective.

2nd, the attitude and approach within this organization from the highest levels down to the lowest do not emit a winning attitude. if there is one thing that comes out from the Snyder era is "nonsense" is acceptable. All the drama year after year, the media leaks, all the he said she said stuff is childish, petty, and breeds the sense of chaos that surrounds this team. The organization itself is not about winning. Not to date myself but Jack Kent Cook would have NEVER accept this nonsense. It's only proof that Snyder himself is embroiled in this nonsense.

Posted by: oknow1 | December 13, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

No consistency. Different QB/Kicker/Coach every few years. It't the culture of the franchise, and it goes back many years. Anyone remember the trade for TJ Duckett?
Ridiculous. Cerrato drafting a punter who didn't even make the team? Free agent pickups Haynesworth, Archuleta and Deion Sanders?. And for every Orakpo or Cooley or Samuels or Sean Taylor we draft there are a half dozen guys like Health Schuler, Malcom Kelley or Rod Gardner. And no matter how good Clinton Portis has or hasn't been, do you really trade away the league's premier cover corner?

All that being said, I see some slight improvements this year, despite the failures. It's nice to see Banks rather than Randel-El kick returning, and Torain looks like he can really play. So I'll suck it up like I do EVERY December after we've missed the playoffs AGAIN and look forward to next year.

Posted by: jnbergquist | December 13, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse