Posted at 9:42 AM ET, 12/27/2010

Santana Moss ties personal best with 84 receptions this season

By Jason Reid

Even after all these years, Santana Moss is still the Redskins' top wideout.

The 10-year veteran adapted well to Coach Mike Shanahan's version of the West Coast offense, and Moss needs only one reception to establish a new personal best. He had another solid performance (five receptions, 85 yards) in Sunday's 20-17 victory in overtime against Jacksonville.

Although the Redskins have only one game remaining in another disappointing season, Moss continues to deliver.

"You just never know how it's gonna work out, man," Moss said after the game. "When I heard I would get more opportunities in this offense, more chances to do some things, you know, that's great. But you just never can say for sure what's gonna happen in this game.

"So it's just a blessing to stay healthy and just be able to contribute to this team. You just want to take advantage of every opportunity you get out there, 'cause you don't know how many more you're gonna get. That's just the way I looked at it."

Moss has 84 receptions for 1,041 yards (a 12.4-yard average) with six touchdowns. He also had 84 receptions during the 2005 season, his first with the Redskins.

The former University of Miami star also had at least 1,000 yards receiving during the 2003, '05 and '08 seasons. He established a personal-best total for yards with 1,483 yards in '05.

Moss can set his personal best in Sunday's season finale against the New York Giants, "but that's not what it's about," Moss said. "We're just trying to keep getting better as an offense. We got one more game to work on some things, and that's what we're gonna do."

By Jason Reid  | December 27, 2010; 9:42 AM ET
Categories:  Santana Moss
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Graham Gano: 'It feels good' to play a major role in Redskins' victory
Next: Redskins' defensive tackle Joe Joseph arrested for DUI

Comments

I think Matt Flynn is about to be a FA. Might have to look into that...

That 2007 LSU Tigers team seems to have been rather loaded:

Matt Flynn
Glenn Dorsey
Chevis Jackson
Keiland Williams
Jacob Hester
Early Doucet
Ali Highsmith
Ciron Black
Craig Steltz
Tyson Jackson

...all of these guys, now in the NFL, were on that team.

That's rather impressive.

And that's why I watch SEC Football.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Moss should leave in free agency this year. He deserves to play for a winner and that ain't gonna happen here for another few years.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 27, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

If things were that bad with Kyle and McNabb I don't think they would have been standing beside each other for most of the game. Just my .02...

Posted by: gixxer998 | December 27, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Don't put words in my mouth...all Bos said was that if MoJo played the outcome could have been very different.

Posted by: brownwood26

Brown the outcome could've been different had everybody played or it could've been the same.Who knows and who cares.My point is dont come handing me this garbage about what could've been based on who was missing.You play the cards you're dealt and whatever happens on the field that day is what happens.Period.

Posted by: smittdiddy | December 27, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Santana quietly put together a fine year.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 27, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

O_e, my guess is that Moss stays...he's got more value here than he does elsewhere plus I think he actually likes it here.

Should be an interesting offseason...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

It would be nice to put the wood to NY this weekend... especially recalling the shellacking they gave us earlier this season.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 27, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

SEC football be tough. 2007 Fla team had Tim Tebow and Cam Newton...dayum

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | December 27, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Yeh but if MJD plays has the staus of being the best player on either team. So it very well could have made a difference...

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Whatever helps you sleep at night Smitty...if you can't see the difference between beating a team down their best player and beating a team at full strength, there's no point in continuing to talk in circles...

Anyone else watch that game-clinching scramble by Peyton Manning yesterday? High comedy watching that guy run...looks like he's on a treadmill...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Kinda wish mjd had played. I really want a high draft pick. We got a lot of digging to do.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod

Moss should leave in free agency this year.

Moss leaving totally changes the offseason priorities.

If you take Sanatana out of the wide receiver depth chart, all you are left with is:

Roydell Williams
Anthong Armstrong
Terence Austin
Brandon Banks
Malcolm Kelly

And that's not much to be left with.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Trade for Clausen?

What is this madness?

The Panthers are terrible, and burned their first pick in the draft (a second rounder) on him. Now we think they will again this year take QB with their first pick in the draft and there is talk here about us burning draft picks or players to trade for the guy who didn't work out in Carolina?

C'mon man!

As long as dreaming is free, let's set the bar a little higher.

Posted by: edvar | December 27, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

It’s highly unlikely the Redskins initially would release McNabb, not when they believe he still has some trade value, albeit very little now that they've run his reputation into the turf.

Still, Washington would absolutely want to recoup as much as possible for the player whom they surrendered second- and fourth-round picks for.

What will test McNabb’s trade value is the $10 million option bonus in his contract that another team might have to pay. Yet there are any number of teams — Minnesota, Seattle, San Francisco, Carolina, Tennessee and Miami — with significant quarterback questions looming for 2011.

For these clubs, trading for McNabb, even with the option bonus, might be worth considering. Much more likely, however, that he's released outright, which would be in accordance with the desire to sign with a team of his choosing.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 26, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I basically agree with your post, Chia. But I'm not sure these teams will want to wait until he is released.

From their perspective, they would like to get DMac in early in preseason, so that he would have time to work with receivers and learn the plays/terminology.

So I think there will be a suitor prior to the draft.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 27, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27

Posted by: brownwood26

You cats are hilarious.So unless everyone we beat is at full strength put an asterisk by the W?

Posted by: smittdiddy | December 27, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

So the fact that we were without our top 2 defenders means absolutely nothing,but them without MoJo is everything?

Posted by: smittdiddy | December 27, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

My two cents...I would rather play without my best player than without a handful of my very good players.

And Roydell really needs to go...dude gave absolutely no effort trying to get that first on third and long.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 27, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Please trade Cooley while he still has value and start Davis next season.

He's getting worse and worse every year, yesterday just proved that point. Even when the ball reaches him he can't hold on to it.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 27, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Yeah the cat is that good. and our run D is that bad.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Everybody has injuries at this time of year, they can't be used as excuses for any team.

The Jaguars should have a better number two thats on them. When you run a guy 300 times a season he is going to get hurt.

It's funny no one used him beign out last week as an excuse to why they lost to the Colts.

We have had worse number two backs gash us this year, so I think the injuries at this point in the year offset unless it is your QB.

Boswell is a hater and has been for a while so he can kiss my a$$.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

The injury excuse is a cop out. Injuries are par of the game, always have been, always will be. If you lose because of them it's because your coaches haven't adjusted their scheme to suit the replacements...that's on them.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 27, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

He is their teams identity. This team has no player/players that define our identity. That was a far more important loss for them then anyone would be for us.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Yeah the cat is that good. and our run D is that bad.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 10:20 AM |

If there run game is so good and we are so bad then having a number 2 guy playing shouldn't matter. They were fighting for a playoff spot and got beat by a team that had 5 guys getting there first starts on defense.

No excuses they lost thats it.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

This was the first game mjd has missed since being drafted, the dude is rock solid.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 10:24 AM

So they both had no identity yesterday...and the skins won.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 27, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I thought they shoulda traded Cooley last season. I think we can get a 3rd or 4th for him.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 10:27 AM

Like I said when you run a guy 300 times a year he is going to get hurt, this might have been the first but expect more to come. It's called age and taking that kind of pounding year after year adds up.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I didnt say they had a good run game. I said we have a bad run D and mjd is that good???not sure where i lost ya there

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Diddy, give it up dude...I've already thrown the "agree to disagree" flag out there and still you're trying to push this.

MJD isn't just a runner, he's a good blocker. As a dude who's watched Portis play on the Skins, you should know the value in a guy who can do both extremely well.

He's the leader of that offense and the heart and soul of the team. I've seen enough of Jacksonville to know that his value isn't completely measured in the box score.

Even with the guys we had out, we still were a mediocre defense at best. While the next men up played well, it's shortsighted to believe that MoJo wouldn't have made at least one more play to help his team win.

Case in point: we had our way blitzing up the middle all day. You think if MoJo is in there he's not doing a better job at blitz pickup?

I don't mean to take anything away from our guys because like I said, in years past that's a game we lose. We took advantage of a shorthanded opponent and kicked them while they were down. Easily our most impressive win of the season (all things considered). But you jumped on Bos (and now me and Stu) for stating fact...the Skins took out a team down their best player. I'm still waiting for the part where that's a false statement.

Wait...don't answer that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 10:30 AM |

MJD doesn't do it by himself, Jennings had over 100 yards 3 weeks ago against Oakland. Go sell this sh-t somewhere else because everyteam has injuries name one team in the NFL playing with all there starters from the begining of the year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Yep, Brownie,

I don't see too many teams looking to upgrade w/ old & small.

I'm not mocking Moss - we just have more need for him than anyone else.

I think he stays, too.

Think we can get anything for Armstrong or Austin, now that we've shown them as viable? prolly not.

So who are the promising O Line guys in the draft this year?

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 27, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm emailing the league now to see if they can change the result to a skins loss...it just wasn't fair.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 27, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 10:30 AM |

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Wow...you just can't make this stuff up:

Kerry Collins concusses defensive teammate with errant pass
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 27, 2010, 9:47 AM EST

Titans quarterback Kerry Collins made a little history on Sunday.

Sure, he now stands as only the 12th quarterback in NFL history with more than 40,000 passing yards. With 98 more yards next week, Collins will pass the great Johnny Unitas for eleventh on the all-time passing list.

That’s cool and all, but Collins pulled something off we bet Johnny U. never did: The Titans quarterback knocked out teammate William Hayes with a throw to the sidelines. Hayes, a defensive lineman, was concussed when one of Collins’ passes hit him in the noggin.

“That’s kind of how the game went,” coach Jeff Fisher said.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

No excuses they lost thats it.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 10:26 AM |
-------

agree flound

RI should become a law school with all the lame excuses doled out daily.

we beat the jags fair and square. give the redskins their due on this one.

Posted by: hessone | December 27, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

We have been without are starting RB the whole season almost and with out are number 2 for a few games. It doesn't matter you play with what you have and if they are not good enough to get it done they shouldn't be on your team.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

One thought on the "the D played well despite missing most of our players" angle.

Aside from Landry and Orakpo, most of the missing guys were poor fits for the 3-4 or were playing out of position. They were replaced by marginal NFL players, but players who nonetheless fit the scheme.

With that said, I'd say the D played well because it was missing so many players.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 27, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 27, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

hey we won it im just bitter cause i wish we hadnt.
We lose draft spots, we make grosman look like a winner and shannys look like they know what they are doing. I want better draft picks i dont think rex is a winner and i have questions about the shannys and the hasletts, I dont think this is a 7 win team but they might get there. That sits wrong with me.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

woulda coulda shoulda....down a great running back against a patchwork defense that even healthy is dead last and a backup qb who's getting his second start in 2 years... I'd say its a wash. shame on Jacksonville for having all there eggs in one basket.

Posted by: myrtle_beach_fan | December 27, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I jumped on Bos because no credit was given to THE CATS THAT PLAYED!I jumped on you and Stu because you co-signed his bullshti.Not once this morning have you heard me discount how good MoJo is.Had he played,we could've done one of two things:Deal with him and have a chance to win or let him run all over us and get our asses handed to us.HE DIDNT PLAY,therefore I dont need to hear about what could've happened if he did.Tell me why we won or lost based on who played.What part are you missing about this?

Posted by: smittdiddy | December 27, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 27, 2010 10:41 AM

That could be, I know one reason why we played the run so much better we finally got great NT play from Bryant.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 27, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

That's an interesting twist, etrod. That's why some of these players don't want to miss playing games. It gives a chance for another player to show something in a game, which is different that showing it in practice.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 27, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Re: Matt Flynn and QBs

Flynn is under contract and we'd need to trade for him. Either way, it's clear that the Shannys don't plan on tweaking their offense all that much to play to a QBs qualities. They want someone to run their system as it is. Who is suited to do that? Beats me. They don't even know who is best suited to do that.

Re: Santana Moss

Moss is atop the list of my favorite current Redskins. Here's a guy who balls year in and year out. Doesn't complain or throw teammates/coaches under the bus. Finds a way to be productive regardless of the scheme or QB or coach. Has single-handedly won games for this team. He runs all the routes and does whatever he's asked - playing flanker, playing in the slot, returning punts. Baller. Give me a team of Santana Mosses and we'd be making noise in the playoffs every year.

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 27, 2010 10:41 AM

Great point, O_e...definitely a real possibility. If true, that gives me a lot more hope for 2011 because the simple act of adding more 3-4 friendly players will mean a ton of improvement.

Hopefully, we roll with this same crew against the Ginas....

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood, had to go to the source for this since you did not post it today...

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 27, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I was glad to see Graham bounce back from his horrendous Week 14 and make his first two field goals since the Bucs game. The 48-yarder was perfectly executed in the strong wind: it was right into the wind, which guided the ball right between the uprights. If there is a year to be patient with a young kicker with potential, maybe this should be the year. He's won us 3 games this year, and I wouldn't blame this team's astronomical failures on the young kicker.

Glad to see Santana top 1,000 once again too. You have to love his work ethic despite not being on a pass friendly team since the 2005 (10-6) season QB'd by Brunell. It's just too bad he has had to put up with mediocrity for years.

The young, patchwork defense had their equivalent of the offense's Titans game yesterday. It was good to see young guys like Kevin Barnes make a difference.

Shanahan tried the quick fix this season bringing in vets like Donovan and old RBs, but he now sees that this is not a quick fix. I'm not happy about the "same-old method" we saw this season, but things are changing. Despite some of the questionable things that have happened, you can't disregard the two more wins from last year. I'm willing to be patient with Shanahan, and I would like to see at least two more years of him here.

Now, onward to play spoiler for the Giants!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 27, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

ray

Please trade Cooley while he still has value....He's getting worse and worse every year

Please explain how Chris Cooley has value if he's getting worse every year?

I think folks in these parts overvalue Mr. Cooley's trade value.

There's an abundance of 'tweener tight ends like him all over the league.

Yes, he has solid career numbers.

But he isn't the same class as V Davis, B Pettigrew, A Gates, D Clark, Witten, J Finley type tight end as he lacks their overall athleticism and fine speed.

Those guys are the ones a GM would part with a high draft pick, not Cooley.

I also think that as our offensive line play improves, we'll see Cooley and Davis used more as a tandem as now, one has to help with protection on passing plays.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Flynn is under contract and we'd need to trade for him. Either way, it's clear that the Shannys don't plan on tweaking their offense all that much to play to a QBs qualities. They want someone to run their system as it is. Who is suited to do that? Beats me. They don't even know who is best suited to do it.

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 10:52 AM |

I'm curious as to how you know this, you know they didn't tweak things for Mcnabb who did you hear that from?

Did Mike Martz have to tweak his offense for Cutler?

Did they have to tweak the offense in Houston when they braught Shaub in?

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Jarmon played well, Jackson played well, Carriker finally showed up with good pressure and I liked Bryant at NT. I would like to see Jarmon play more, big athletic kid. I think it is time for Rocky Mac to get out of DC, kid sucks. Sure was great to see Rogers catch an INT, still not sure how Heyer ever made this team. Great to get the win, no matter how we got it. Hail.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 27, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I would even say that Orakpo is not, right now, a good 3-4 back. And that, while stylistically Fletch isn't prototypical, he was a better 3-4 LB.

Orakpo can NOT cover. He's young & maybe they can teach him. But I would rather him be a pass rusher ONLY. I don't see him turning that corner & it could be another waste of a draft pick... or at least a waste of his potential.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 27, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Im also confused with how people keep saying this was our best overall performance of the year. Our RB had 3.3 yds per on 20 carries and our QB averaged one yard more PASSING...hopefully people mean defensively our best game of the year but even then im not sure.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 10:52 AM |

Did Mike Martz have to tweak his offense for Cutler?

Did they have to tweak the offense in Houston when they braught Shaub in?

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Obviously, they didn't tweak the offense enough to suit McNabb. They all but said it's a bad fit. If they wanted to, they could bring in an offensive assistant who has worked in Reid's WCO to partner with Genius Jr. and make some changes to the system/scheme to suit McNabb's strengths. They aren't interested in doing that. It's not a criticism, just an observation.

Not sure what Mike martz has to do with this.

I don't know what happened in Houston.

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 27, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

This guy wants to get rid of R Mac.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 27, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

And this guy thinks Orakpo is a bust or is wasting away due to scheme.

So what is the good part of our team??? I am really worried about our overall talent level. Not sure how we can be complaining about guys like rocky or orakpo.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

& yeh, gim-moe,

time to trade Cooley was during JG2.0 when he had upside. It's all downside now.

It's ok - he stays moderately healthy and once/if he comes back, he can be stalwart. But don't expect pro-bowl again.

I don't understand why he has to be such a debbie downer, though; unless he was all about the chaos...

SJK that. So glad it's over.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 27, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

On a side note, Mike Singletary has been fired.

Who else might be on the clock?:

Marvin Lewis

Jeff Fisher

Norv Turner

John Fox

Tony Sparano

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

DS...I completely agree with you on Orakpo, I dont ever see him picking up strong cover skills, but I am not the talent evaluator.

Eventhough we won, I cant see Rex starting for us every game next year. He makes some really dumb decisions and seriously cant throw the long ball.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 27, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

McNabb's strengths are throwing the ball at the ground and tripping over the center.

Shanny tweaked the offense to suit his strengths by benching him.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 27, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I think folks in these parts overvalue Mr. Cooley's trade value.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 10:56 AM

I'll raise you on that...I KNOW folks in these parts overvalue Cooley's trade value.

And everyone else's on the roster as well.

If it were easy to simply trade away assets for picks, more people would do it. You're notorious, Moe, for citing the KC and Tampa rebuilds as the model for which you'd like to see the revolution in Washington begin. Yet KC only traded a future HoFer for a 2nd round pick (Gonzalez) and the Bucs shed a former 1st round bust (the late Gaines Adams) for a late-round pick. Otherwise, it was building thru the draft, making wise choices in free agency, and hiring a good young coach to mold the team.

So that's why I always get pissy with folks who come up here with such garbage as "trade Cooley" and "trade Fletcher" and "we could get a 2nd rounder for AH"...it's all lunacy. You can do that crap on Madden...in real life, we're dealing with GMs smarter than ours.

After all, there's a reason why we're the one sending away picks for players instead of the other way around...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Tell what Rocky Mac does well. Tackling isnt one of them, rushing the passer is not one of them and coverage is the other thing he sucks at...

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 27, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I think folks in these parts overvalue Mr. Cooley's trade value.

There's an abundance of 'tweener tight ends like him all over the league.

Yes, he has solid career numbers.

Those guys are the ones a GM would part with a high draft pick, not Cooley.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Tampa Bay gave Cleveland a 2nd round pick and a 5th round pick when they traded for Kellen Winslow.

But Winslow was only going into his 3rd year and still had prime playing years ahead of him.

Cooley can still get the job done, but for a guy who will be 29 when next season begins, you are getting a player whose prime years are mostly behind.

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

We have three players that are worth a 2nd rounder or better. TW, orakpo, landry. That it thats our young talent thats what other teams would be interested in. its very very sad.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Who else might be on the clock?:

Marvin Lewis

Jeff Fisher

Norv Turner

John Fox

Tony Sparano

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 11:09 AM

All of the above.

If Norv survives this epic collapse, my theory that he has incriminating photos of every owner in the NFL will be confirmed...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 27, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Andy Reid managed to find a way to use those assets and turn out a 6x ProBowler who constantly carried his team into the playoffs.

Now I'm not up here waving the mcNabb flag - I wish he never came to Washington. The Geniuses had a dozen years of film to tell them what McNabb was good at and what he was not good at.

But wherever McNabb ends up, I'm sure if it's a situation where the coaching staff is willing to work with him and put pieces in place around him to suit his strengths - as opposed to just jamming him into a system to see if he fits. McNabb will have some fruitful years ahead of him in the league.

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

hey we won it im just bitter cause i wish we hadnt.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 10:41 AM

You sound like a fan that's forgotten what it's all about. Off-season is a diversion. Draft picks disappoint all the time. Wins are what it's all about. Why is yesterday's less valid than a nebulous, unidentified future win? Try to enjoy it and forget how it sits with you.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 27, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

The win yesterday pushed us from drafting 7 to at about 11 right now.

Dependnig on what happens, we may not be getting a QB in the 1st.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 27, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I hope we dont get a QB in the first round, we need other things. I would love to see what C. Palmer still has in the tank or maybe take a look at Troy Smith??

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 27, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Nice quote from the AZ QB:
"There's nothing prettier than beating the Dallas Cowboys on Christmas Day," Skelton said.

Here here.

Agreed on lack of trade bait. This draft will be make or break. And offseason FA championship, of course.

F the Ginas as well.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 27, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The win yesterday pushed us from drafting 7 to at about 11 right now.

Dependnig on what happens, we may not be getting a QB in the 1st.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 27, 2010 11:29 AM |

Luck is the only QB I would want in the first and we are not getting him anyway.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 11:23 AM

Agreed.

And comments like the one from O_e are just mindnumbingly stupid considering McNabb's accomplishments...next he'll tell me that Portis sucks and Steve McNair was overrated...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 27, 2010 11:32 AM |

You need a top QB to win in this league this guys are not it.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Flounder, I think we are going to get a stop gap QB next year. So who would be the best of the bunch, I dont know.

I dont think it will be Rex though, Shanny's do like him though.

Would you take Mallet, Newton or any other QB with the draft?

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 27, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Let's beat the Ginas!

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 27, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Wow.

Cooley has one bad game - 4 drops (1 was a low-and-away 2 yarder on 3rd and 11, one was just about out of reach - and yeah, one was a wide freakin open TD).

So let's trade the SOB!

I seem to remember him being a key part of the second half come back, but whatever.

My questions are:

A) If he sucks so bad, what real trade value do you knuckleheads think he will have in the largest FA market in a decade?

B) Why do you think we are better with Davis? Cooley is a marginal blocker, Davis can barely throw a chicken wing at a guy. Our TE's are required to do a lot more blocking than pass receiving, so the reasoning here seems a little weak.

TE's are proned to get injured. TE is the one spot we have depth - something the team desperately needs more of. Let's trade guys who don't fit anymore and let talent accumulate. Trade McNabb, Hanyesworth, and Carter if you can get anything (and at this point, anything is looking pretty good...) for them.

Posted by: edvar | December 27, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 27, 2010 11:32 AM

No interest in either...but I will say that it's curious that Palmer played far and away his best game of the year without TO or Ochocinco in the lineup...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Let's beat the Ginas!

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 27, 2010 11:41 AM

That would be a great way to end the season, a win against each division opponent, F yeah.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 27, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I dont think it will be Rex though, Shanny's do like him though.

Would you take Mallet, Newton or any other QB with the draft?

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 27, 2010 11:40 AM |

I think I'm with Moe I would take a QB with the 2nd round pick and hope he is the one. Keep Rex to start the season or let Beck start it.

They can't worry about what failed in the past as far as draft picks, if they think there guy is there in the first then they should draft him. Most of the top QB's in the league were 1st round picks.

Brees and Brady the only exceptions Brees was a high 2nd rounder.

No one will find a Brady again in the 6th round.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 11:34 AM
==========

Agree. I wonder what Shenanigans will do, though.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 27, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

If Marvin Lewis comes loose, he'd be a great replacement for Haslett, but maybe we just need to be more of a team of no-names in order to succeed, as evidenced yesterday..

Having a solid partner in Armstrong just naturally opens up more possibilities for Santana..Shanahans deserve kudos for bringing in fresh new players from outta the blue and Haslett deserves some credit , too..Now, if Eli and Co. trounce us again, Haslett may have to go back on the waiver wire..Knocking the dreaded Giants out of the playoffs is well worth the slip in draft standing..BEAT THE GIANTS!!

Posted by: frak | December 27, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 11:16 AM

Winslow was traded in his 5th year and had well documented knee damage and STILL yielded a 2nd and a 5th.

Old a$$ Tony Gonzalez was traded for a 2nd or 3rd rounder as well.

Cooley's value is def a 2nd & 5th Rounder....minimum.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 27, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Please trade Cooley while he still has value and start Davis next season.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 27, 2010 10:18 AM

2004 Washington Redskins 16 37 314 8.5 6
2005 Washington Redskins 16 71 774 10.9 7
2006 Washington Redskins 16 57 734 12.9 6
2007 Washington Redskins 16 66 786 11.9 8
2008 Washington Redskins 16 83 849 10.2 1
2009 Washington Redskins 7 29 332 11.4 2
2010 Washington Redskins 15 72 796 11.1 3

worse and worse every year??? right!!! maybe kyle shanny can put cooley and davis on the field at the same time...that mightbe a novel idea...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 27, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Who else might be on the clock?:

Marvin Lewis

Jeff Fisher

Norv Turner

John Fox

Tony Sparano

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 11:09 AM

Gary Kubiak

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 27, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

frak,

I don't want to replace haslett we need to give the coach and scheme time to develop. If you bring in another coach then they have to learn a whole new defense.

The defense can be strong and will be once the right players are braught in.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

**CORRECTION**

Winslow was traded in his 6th year in the league and still yilded a 2nd and a 5ht with bad knees

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 27, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Cooley's value is def a 2nd & 5th Rounder....minimum.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 27, 2010 11:48 AM

Pass what you're smoking this way....

Posted by: edvar | December 27, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Cooley's value is def a 2nd & 5th Rounder....minimum.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 27, 2010 11:48 AM

Pass what you're smoking this way....

Posted by: edvar | December 27, 2010 11:51 AM |

Wow 4th, you are out of your mind.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 27, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 27, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, 51, but you must have forgotten where you are. That may be true in 31 cities around the country. But...This is RI, and all we have to wait for and yearn about is the off-season. We are the champs!

Posted by: frediefritz | December 27, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I hear you, Flounder, I'm down with the current program, mostly..Just don't want to get creamed by a division opponent again, like the past few years we have..Live and learn, adapt and survive, but we should definitely get some trade value for McNabb and Haynie..

Going with "no-names" can work ( Babe Laufenberg), but at QB generally you want someone a little famous..Rex is a good short-range QB, but we need a solid youngin' like Flacco or Falc's Ryan to take the reins for the long haul..Usually found in Rd. !...

Posted by: frak | December 27, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 27, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I know it sounds like im being a lousy fan. But thats the way it is with this tame. We are addicts, were addicted to high priced free agents big money players and coaches.

Just like any true addict you really need to hit rock bottom before you can fully reach toward permanent recovery. We keep floating by with these kinds of season we never see how truly ugly we look in our depraved state. So we will perpetuate and never truly fix ourselves. It sad and i dont like it but to many skins fans have their eyeballs so glazed over they never want to admit that we have yet to hit rock bottom and will continue to suck until we do. A lose this week would have helped clear some peoples eyes, instead we will get more of the same.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | December 27, 2010 12:01 PM

This is awesome!

Not only could I read what frak posted and understand it, but I agree as well.

Either he's off his "meds", or my wife slipped a little something-something into my OJ this morning.

Either way, the Skins won and it's a bright new morning.

Posted by: edvar | December 27, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I still think Locker is the way to go, or Mallett.

But more importantly here's hoping to beating the Giants on Sunday.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 27, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

What everyone is over-looking is how darn close PlayAction's prediction was this week.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 27, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 11:16 AM

Old a$$ Tony Gonzalez was traded for a 2nd or 3rd rounder as well.

Cooley's value is def a 2nd & 5th Rounder....minimum.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 27, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

You're right about Winslow. My misread on his career line.

But he was about 25 years old when he got traded and was coming off of a couple of 80 catch seasons with Cleveland. (In '08 he missed a bunch of games and only had 43 catches).

POint is still the same. At 25, you are entering your prime years.

Again, I think Cooley can get it done as well as, if not better than, Winslow. But at 29 years old you aren't fetching a 2nd/5th rounder. Period.

TOny Gonzalez is clearly an exception. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer who had been to 10 Pro Bowls and was coming off of another one when he was traded.

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Nah, Stu, pretty sure the Skins hit rock bottom a couple weeks ago. The people/fans who aren't calling for a total rebuild has been reduced to the young and/or insane (looking at you, frak - just kidding, bud, don't hunt me).

I can only hope the team - mainly the Shanahans - sees it the same way. Pretty much looks like it does.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 27, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Stu, I think 09 was rock bottom. It was for Dan Snyder, anyway. He made big changes but they were good moves.

We are now in the 'it gets worse before it gets better' phase. The roster purge started last year with Smoot, Griffin, Betts, Campbell, Cartwright, etc.. and it will continue this offseason with Rabach, Dockery, Portis, Carter, Haynesworth and more.

Next season will be rough, too but I think we will see signs of improvement. Then in 2012, Championship.

Book it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 27, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Adam Schefter reports McNabb wants the Skins to release him at the end of the season.

So I guess he's now realizes Shanahan's just not that into him.

I've never seen a team strike out more with Big Name stars from other teams than the Skins. I pretty much hate when they pick up another team's icon now.

By the way, I consider Shanahan a Big Name star from another team.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 27, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully we draft another decent OL or two, (especially at the center position) and become a very run heavy team.

If Torain stays healthy for 13-14 games he can easily be a 1400 yard back.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 27, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 12:06 PM

Stu - I'm hearing you. I hope that last year was rock bottom and we have begun the painful ascent. We braught in a new coach and GM, and unloaded a lot of guys last off season, and we will purge players again this year.

I posted this last night on the topic:

"I think the momentum that comes from a late season rally after a bad start is more important than a few draft positions.

The team is playing hard for Shanny, and the offense is finally showing some life - two important pieces to build with come next season.

If the skins lost out and looked lifeless, we would be facing much bigger off season questions than who we want in the draft."

Posted by: edvar | December 27, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Cooley's value is def a 2nd & 5th Rounder....minimum.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 27, 2010 11:48 AM

What? Did Vinny get another GM gig?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

If we have hit rock bottom, i still think we havent. Then this offseason will be the one that dictates whether a major relapse is on the way or if their might be clear sailing ahead. This is an absolutely huge off season for the off season champs...(chumps)

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Uh - Stu?! I never said anything derrogatory about VelosORAKPO! I love that guy.

Learn to read.

I said that he's not a cover linebacker. I belive the numbers bear me out there.

I also believe he wasn't drafted by this group and they probably would have gone another direction.

Don't go puttin' words in mah mouth, son. It's already full of eggnog... and boobie.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 27, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Had to wonder if Cooley dropped those "gimmes" outta protest for McNabb's treatment..Otherwise maybe he is "Over-The-Hill"..or maybe just hungover...

Posted by: frak | December 27, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Good grief, I sure hope we've hit rock bottom.

I think rock bottom was somewhere between Marvin Lewis being lured away from his bingo game and the Swinging Gate(s).

We've been in the recovery period since then... it's slow as hell, of course, and it sure hasn't played out the way I hoped, but we have to believe this is part of The Plan.

And by "we have to believe" I mean that the alternative is despair and gloom, and Lord knows we've had enough of that already.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 27, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

...and I'll have some of what the AMAZING DikShuttle's having.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 27, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | December 27, 2010 12:15 PM

Looks pretty much like how the team played for Zorn after the bye week last year to me:

2009
Bye (2-7 after the bye, with an OT loss)
at Atlanta Falcons L 31–17
Denver Broncos W 27–17
at Dallas Cowboys L 6–7
at Philadelphia Eagles L 24–27
New Orleans Saints L 33–30 OT
at Oakland Raiders W 34–13
New York Giants L 12–45
Dallas Cowboys L 17–0
at San Diego Chargers L 23–20

2010
Bye (2-5 so far after the bye, both wins in OT)
Philadelphia Eagles L 28–59
at Tennessee Titans W 19–16 (OT)
Minnesota Vikings L 13–17
at New York Giants L 7–31
Tampa Bay Buccaneers L 16–17
at Dallas Cowboys L 30–33
at Jacksonville Jaguars W 20–17 (OT)
New York Giants X ??-??

Posted by: Alan4 | December 27, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Cooley's value is def a 2nd & 5th Rounder....minimum.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 27, 2010 11:48 AM

What? Did Vinny get another GM gig?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 27, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

If 4th calculates Cooley's "minimum" value at a 2nd/5th, one wonders what "fair market value" is in 4th's estimation. A 1st/3rd?

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

(3-5 after the bye, two wins in OT)

New York Giants W 24-20

Posted by: Alan4 | December 27, 2010 12:30 PM

Filled in the blanks for ya Alan.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 27, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Am wondering if McNabb could decline or return (at least part of) the $3.5 million signing bonus he recently took -- in exchange for the Redskins voiding his new contract, releasing him and allowing him to negotiate with any other team that might be willing to sign him.

Can't imagine the Redskins recouping much of their investment in him any other way you might look at it – as no one is going to trade for him when they know he will probably be released any way -- nor will we find another team willing to pay McNabb for the $10+ million per year he is currently figured to earn in 2011 and beyond under his current contract.

But I also don't think it's in anyone's interest for the Redskins to hold onto his rights when they don't expect to exercise them. Perhaps the compromise position would be that McNabb returns part of the signing bonus in exchange for a free and clear release by the team.

Or am I missing something?

Posted by: Vic1 | December 27, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 27, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Alan, this season has every bit the flavor of Zorn/Cerratto as last season did.

Whether we are talking about personnel decisions, PR bungles, and/or play on the field.

(We even got a virtual repeat of a disastrous season-sinking road loss to the Lions!)

Defenders and apologists of the Geniuses will cry out in ridicule of this comparison. Whatever.

If you were to compile a list of game box scores and personnel decisions/press releases from this past season regarding the Skins - except that names of the coaches/FO personnel were redacted. Any reasonable person would assume that Zorn/Cerratto were still running the show.

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, McNabb can want in one hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up first. He's a Redskin until someone pony's up a draft pick or until just before the first game next year.

Posted by: wireman65 | December 27, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Already happy with the signs of improvement. Although some folks apparently have zero clue as to what makes the Pats, Colts, Steelers, and Ravens consistently good, rest assured that we are more closely mimicking their moves now than anytime since Shottenheimer.

Which one of those teams allows Portis to not practice? Which one of those teams buys FatBert? Which one of those teams allows the owners golf buddy to run the football operations?

And all this smoke about trade value which Shanahan is ruining? Really? How many teams are tripping over each other to import losers from basement teams?

Ask a poker player if he/she can with without a bankroll. No? So who cares whether they are bluffing or have pocket Aces? It doesn't matter.

Ask a banker whether they can get rich off $1. No? So who cares whether they put that $1 into Google or a Mountain Dew? It doesn't matter.

Shanahan has to build his bankroll like any other great team: by evaluating talent better than the competition, minimizing mistakes, and capitalizing on success.

He has already done this better than his predecessor(s) by establishing clear standards of evaluation: In practice, in competition, in proven schemes, with proven staff.

A number of players have received failing grades (Haynesworth, Dockery), and a number have received only average grades (Carter, McNabb). This doesn't mean that next year they can't come back and improve, but now they know they have to put in the effort or be left behind.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 27, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I like what I see from this team.

Young, hungry guys getting it done.

The defense played a great game yesterday, kudos to Jarmon, Jackson, Barnes, Carriker, Bryant and Wilson.

Who was the oldest guy on the field yesterday for the defense? Carter, Buchanon, Holliday?

The O-line also had a great game. They do need to chill on calling so many bootlegs for Rex though.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 27, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

matt,

good post,

You failed to mention that we cleared around 30mil for when the cap returns, never would have been done with Vinny.

We write better contracts now that are not player friendly.

We cleared out a bunch of old vets that also would not have been done under Vinny.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Matt, iH8 & Flound spilling some good science.

Nate - I'm talking figuratively, of course. Would probably be frowned upon at the office... though not at the orifice! woo hoo!

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 27, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I like your post Matt.

When you look at our most productive players, they are cheap.

Torain, Armstrong, Banks, Grossman(however if we find a franchise QB in the draft PAY HIM). The guys lighting it up on D yesterday.

McNabb, Portis and Haynesworth are the highest paid and least productive, especially in terms of what you get for what you pay.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 27, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

...and I'll have some of what the AMAZING DikShuttle's having.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 27, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

LOL. Please pass the boobie!

Posted by: frediefritz | December 27, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Vic1,
the Skins dilemma is they will want something back for McNabb in a trade because they recently gave up so much to get him... but what's his market value now?

Keep him on the team and he probably becomes a 2011 version of Haynesworth... a season long distraction that will divide the locker room.

But other teams know he's not in your plans, so they'll offer next to nothing for a 34 year old QB coming off a career worst year.

Is it worth a 5th or 6th round pick to send him somewhere he doesn't want to be, or will it be better to let him find a suitable team for himself since other potential free agents will be watching how this coaching staff treats its "good guy" players?

Posted by: Alan4 | December 27, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 27, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

if relegating mcnabb to third string is an average grade for shanny i hate to see what a fail would be. Oh yeah thats right we pay them 40 mil instead of 3 mil.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 27, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

hayneswortyh still leads all our dlineman in sacks. Grosman averaged 4/7 yds per pass yesterday. He sucks.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | December 27, 2010 12:59 PM |

That contract is on Vinny not Shanny.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 27, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Really? We have to be worried about how we treat our non/under-performing vets?

Seems to me that's been the halmark of failure since JG1.0

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 27, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 27, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Alan- this is ridiculous.

Who cares what other free agents think about how McNabb is treated in Washington.

"Oh no! I can't go to DC, act like a jerk, not practice, half-a$$ it and get a huge paycheck anymore."

I hope they know that going in. If anything if you are a big time FA coming here you better produce, or Shanny will castrate you in public and there's not sh!t Danny Boy will do about it.

iLOVEit.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 27, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

With this thought in mind, I say we add soon the be free agent Peyton Manning next Spring.

He'll learn Kyle Shanahan's system, offer some fresh ideas and formation variations to improve it, get benched while on his way to a 4,000 passing season, and find himself the 3rd string quarterback come December of next year.

"I just couldn't change what I do to fit what Peyton does best," Kyle will be heard complaining.

"I wish him well, but all that chatta about screen passes was drivin' me nuts."

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 27, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I was ridiculed and abused by the likes of such dirtballs as the scurvy Scott Campbell and the limp dick Dead Red DMV at the beginning of the season for suggesting that Brandon Lloyd was a doin it dude. Now as we are poised on the cusp of the Pro Bowl announces it will be the crime of the century if the dude don't get on the team as a starter even though he played the season on a suckhard team like the Broncs.

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | December 27, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 27, 2010 1:03 PM |

Dude - suk my dik.

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | December 27, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

They do need to chill on calling so many bootlegs for Rex though.

True.

He looked about athletic as Aretha Franklin in a cancer clinic.

(INSERT rimshot audio and bad, in-poor-taste groan as mistamoe darkens the blog's mood in order to get a lil R-E-S-P-E-C-T.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 27, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 27, 2010 1:06 PM |

MistaMoe=MistaMoeFo=MistaHoMoe=MistaHoeMoe=MistaMoeRon

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | December 27, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

Do you still believe the Sun orbits around the Earth? No? Why not? Is it because you have personally visited Sol and observed the workings of our Solar System?

Or is it that you trust the experts and evidence which undermines your daily observation?

In plain English, you must have been dropped on your head to think that NOT bringing in a bingo caller, NOT bringing in an expensive DT with character issues everywhere, NOT putting up with said prima dona, and then NOT signing what was probably a mistake (McNabb) to a boat anchor of a contract, is just more of the same.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 27, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

...all of these guys, now in the NFL, were on that team.

That's rather impressive.

And that's why I watch SEC Football.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 27, 2010 9:45 AM |

And that's why you feeble minded. They may be in the NFL but none of them a doin it dude, that's for sure. Keiland Williams? Christ on a crutch!

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | December 27, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 12:42 PM

I agree. Guys they decided to go with when the season started have been jettisoned; guys who were cut were brought back and have played better than guys that were kept initially; back ups, when given the opportunity, play better than the starters. Talent evaluation has not been a strength to say the least.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | December 27, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

He looked about athletic as Aretha Franklin in a cancer clinic.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 27, 2010 1:11 PM

That 3 yard scramble was sweet...I had enough time to take a whiz and grab another drink...before he skipped out of bounds.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 27, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

DikShuttle & IH8,
I think Shanahan (or perhaps it was Allen) DID consider something other than compensation when it came to Campbell last year. Try reading: Mike Shanahan: Redskins allowing Jason Campbell to find a job as starting QB with another team

It's not unheard of to take care of you players, even as they head for the door.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 27, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 27, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Can you write a post without having to pepper it with irrelevant rhetorical questions that only impress you?

Is your measure of successful FO decisions calculated by what they did NOT do?

You can't even bring yourself to fully acknowledge that trading for McNabb was a mistake.

One wonders what universe you are observing our solar system from.

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I hear ya, Alan. And as a rule, Golden is the way to go, I believe.

...but then I think of Stompy and Bloyd and the others, all the way back to Neon Deion...

And realize that we can't be a doormat. I know a lot of folks think we treated McLovin' badly. I disagree. He was given multiple opportunities to perform and plenty of rope when mistakes were made.

I don't belive we should ride him out on a rail. But he's a pro & it's business. If his agent can't read contracts, who's fault is that?

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 27, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"He looked about athletic as Aretha Franklin in a cancer clinic."

OOOHHH, SH*T!!! Man, Earth better DUCK when she goes up to the big Choir In Thuh Sky..But, that Snickers ad, "I'm DYIN' back here.."

Posted by: frak | December 27, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

* beep beep *

new post...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 27, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I think the Skins will draft no better than 14th in the 2011 draft. Unless they move up Via trade.

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 27, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 27, 2010

The real dilema is that if McNabb somehow makes the 2011 opening day roster, then the team is out the picks it traded for him, plus whatever he might earn for the 2011 season -- something like $12 $14 million, if memory serves.

But they can cut their losses by cutting him in the off-season -- and are not obligated to pay him another cent.

Either way, the draft picks are already gone -- and presumably, irretrievable -- and I also suspect there is virtually no chance of him ever playing again here -- at least within the framework of his current contract.

Likewise, I can't imagine another team would be willing to trade picks and take on that contract either -- so the best possible outcome might be that the Redskins would cut him on January 3, and allow him to work out another deal with whoever.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 27, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

What should we do next year? Humm.. here's my take.

1. Find out who's your QB ASAP!

2. FIRE JIM HASLETT... or change DEFENSE back to 4-3 and you may be able to keep your job!

3. Continue drafting OL.. high/low

4. Keep AH on the roster... I know this one is tough to swallow but SKINS have to make this work.

5. Draft or FA 1 linebacker.. dis dude must be a stud..

6. Put LA, AC, and sometimes BO hand back in the ground rushing fromm the outside.

7. Play your young players.. T. Austin, Barnes, Jackson, etc.

8. Keep M. Kelly healthy. I think this dude could be the answer for us next year.

9. Keep veteren players such as S.Moss, C. Portis, Cooley, Flecther, V. Holliday, etc.

10. Keep hope alive that one season will see the light from this dark clould that been over this organization for 10yrs now.

Posted by: taylormade218 | December 27, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------
There's so much undying faith in Mc5. I don't know why. You're going to find out what the League thinks here pretty quickly. If someone wants him to be their starter, they'll trade draft picks to Washington. If no one trades for him, they view him as a backup. By Draft Day, you'll know what the professionals think.

Posted by: PS7900 | December 27, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse