Santana Moss: 'You have to use those guys that can be game-changers'

There has been plenty of optimism surrounding the arrival of the new coaching regime in Washington and one person joining the chorus of praise around the new offense, directed by offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, is veteran wide receiver Santana Moss.

After the team's walk-through on Saturday afternoon, Moss expressed his optimism regarding the new scheme and also in the way he will be used in the offense. Moss said he has been extremely impressed watching film of the Houston Texans, who have used the offense in recent seasons, and that he believes the Redskins have a chance to be very successful within the scheme.

His strongest words came when describing his excitement at being moved around the field as opposed to the one-position only structure he played as the 'X' receiver in the past few seasons.

When asked if he liked being shifted around, Moss replied, "Hell yeah." Asked then about his former role that was strictly as an 'X' receiver, he expanded on that idea.

"That's ridiculous," Moss said. "If you ever seen me with a ball in my hand there's no way in the world that one guy, anybody on the field that's a playmaker, that has been a punt returner half his life that can carry the ball well no matter what situation, [that] he should be used at one spot. You feel what I'm saying? It's almost like putting Reggie Bush in the backfield all day and saying, 'Just run the ball through the hole.' He's doing his thing by getting screen passes, lining up on the outside, running here, you know what I mean?

"You have to use those guys that can be game-changers and I feel like I consider myself one of them because that's what I've been doing. I'm not saying it because that's what I want to be. I've done it. You feel me? So when I have a chance to do that, then you're suiting me best. When I don't have a chance to do that then you're not in my best interest. I'm just out there being a regular person."

Moss said he was excited about the capability of the offense and its ability to mix things up to confuse defenses. Moss said the scheme prevents defenses from being able to predict what's coming based on formations or splits. "We have a solution for everything that they going to bring to us," he said.

Often double- and triple-teamed last year, Moss seemed optimistic that this offense would find ways to get him open.

"You know me, I like to let everything pan out and do what it do, but just seeing what it did last year I was impressed," Moss said. "I am good friends with Andre [Johnson] and to watch him be the No. 1 receiver for two years in a row and everyone knows he's the guy, to [still] get open, those guys will tell you I call those guys all the time. 'What are y'all doing that we not doing?' 'Oh 'Tana you just in one spot. 'Tana you just playing.' 'Y'all vanilla.' You know what I mean?

"And then 'Dre breaks it down about who's calling the plays and how he's calling the plays off of what he sees that would separate him from any other guys in this league because his coaches put him in the best situation not to be the guy who is bracketed all the time. Or if you gonna bracket him then I'm going to have somebody else wide open so we can expose that side of the field and maybe they'll even it out and play a little more disciplined defense or more disciplined football.

"When we was playing last year, it's nothing against what he was doing but it was just, you know, it was evident. Y'all could see it from the sideline. That's why I would say there's nothing I can do but what I can do. So if I'm the clear out guy on that play, I'm going to be that clear out guy because I know hopefully somebody else should be open. But I think this offense is going to give us all totally a chance to disguise some things and get in some sets to make them guess a little bit."

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 31, 2010; 6:55 PM ET
Categories:  Santana Moss , wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fisher: Test Haynesworth failed twice with Redskins is the same one Titans use
Next: Shanahan stresses repetition in afternoon sessions

Comments

first is the worst

Posted by: SkinsFan301 | July 31, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

"y'all vanilla". The whole league was chumping zorns system.

He was a nice guy but his stubbornness and unwillingness to change did him in. Hope it works out better for us this year.

Posted by: AdamCr | July 31, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

championship

Posted by: mmurchison | July 31, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

I love the candidness and confidence and positivity of Santana this year! He has looked pissed off for two years now and I am glad he finally gets a chance to vent about it now and we get to read about it. I also like that he compares his play-making ability to Reggie Bush's. I expect a strong year from him.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | July 31, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think that Santana Moss is an incoherent egomaniac, after reading this article

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | July 31, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

C`Mon Moss, don`t hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | July 31, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Moss will do what D. Jackson did with McNabb last year. I expect a huge year from Moss. Just wish we had another legit receiver, other than a tight end, to help him out.

Posted by: nfcBEaST | July 31, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Santana, I feel what you're saying.

The next time someone in my office comes up w/ an idea that's plain, unimaginative, predictable, I'm gonna blurt out: "Yo 'Tana, y'all vanilla!" At first, no one will know what I'm talking about, but I'll explain the source and everyone will soon be using the expression.

Posted by: randysbailin | July 31, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

The fact is, the Skins way were too predictable last year, both offensively, and defensively When the fans and television commentators know exactly where the ball is going, obviously the defense knows where the ball was going. The offensive line was decimated by injuries last year, which threw off their chemistry and timing, and that probably more than anything else limited what they could do with Santana. I don't see how Zorn was responsible for what happened to his offensive line last year.

Santana is a playmaker. If Santana can catch the ball in space, he has the ability to take it to the house. Everything starts with the O-line and the ability to run the ball to throw the defense off balance. If the line gives Santana an extra second or two to get open, he's going to torch some defensive backs this year. Perhaps most importantly, other receivers need to step up their game.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | July 31, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | July 31, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the offseason, especially when there's a significant change in management. Everyone's giddy w/ enthusiasm and the new regime is the greatest thing since the TV remote. I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that after 8 games, the comments from players and coaches will be a bit more, shall we say, muted.

Posted by: randysbailin | August 1, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | July 31, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse
This is exactly the reason I refuse to buy into the hype right now....at least I'm trying not to

Posted by: noluvdr | August 1, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Gotta use the guys that can be game changers!

Agreed 100%

...like Albert on D. Who else is a game changer that lines up on D? Seriously. Who do the O coordinators have to game plan for? Who else makes them adjust their schemes?

But keep dicking around with those shuttle drills Shanny, 'cause that's gonna make the difference.

Whateveer...

Posted by: lemming | August 1, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Tana needs to learn how to speak English so that his teammates and coaches can understand him.

It amazes me how someone who can't speak, write and read English proficiently can be a millionaire.

Didn't he praise Zorn's offense in the beginning too?

Posted by: neil64 | August 1, 2010 4:58 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry about how Santana speaks, reads or write English. That's not why he is with the Washington Redskins! Considering he has lasted 10 years in the NFL and 7 in DC, I think his teammates understand him well. I know his QBs do.

As for "Yo 'tana, yall vanilla", I'll translate for you since you apparantly are unable to understand an urban, hip-hop colloquialism. It means, "Hey Santana, your offense is basic and easily understood by competent professionals."

Anything else you comprehend?

Posted by: ChairmanD | August 1, 2010 5:47 AM | Report abuse

ChairmanD, These folks that are always commenting on the grammar these players use or saying that these guys "need to learn how to speak English" just use that as an opportunity to take racists shots or in the case of "non-racists, to to make themselves feels superior.

This is about football, not a public speaking forum. Perhaps you morons should re-adjust your expectations when reading these articles and comments from athletes.

Posted by: illslope | August 1, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Boy, I really butchered that post!! lol

Posted by: illslope | August 1, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Reading these comments by Santana give me hope that we can at least average 21 points a game. That, quite frankly, should get them 10 wins easy!!!!! The fact is that Zorn coached "scared". We fans were able to predict what play was going to be based on the formation!!!

I have the feeling that Kid Shanahan will have us putting up mad points this year!!!! Just a little more imagination on O!!!!

Posted by: illslope | August 1, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Didn't he praise Zorn's offense in the beginning too?

Posted by: neil64 | August 1, 2010 4:58 AM | Report abuse

He was hired to catch footballs and make yardage. Who cares how he speaks, writes or reads? It's not like he'll be standing at the 50 yard line w/ a microphone reading Hamlet to the fans.

Posted by: randysbailin | August 1, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: illslope | August 1, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Santana:

"You may be superior, but I'm rich, b!tch!"

Seriously, a little early to play the race card, isn't it illslope?

Posted by: HTTR | August 1, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"Didn't Santana, Portis and others praise the creativity of Zorn's offense in comparison to Gibb's predictable play-calling. I could swear I remember those guys saying that." - coparker5

They did. And they were right for the first half of the season. Then Zorn turned dramatically conservative in his play calling. Then the following year it looked even worse. Personally I blame Cerrato. Besides failing to provide a solid O-line those two years, he clearly interfered with the coaches system.

Posted by: segastyle | August 1, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

-randysbailin
==============================================
LMAO!

Posted by: priceisright | August 1, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

What's forgotten, and not mentioned in the article is Jason Campbell's inability to involve receivers in the passing game. Granted, there were protection problems but I've seen it at the games live how J.C. would look to his tight ends fast and often and "Tana" would be open...often times right off the line of scrimmage by not allowing the corner to jam him. J.C. was a little shell shocked so I understand. I believe Santana would be considered one of the best in the business if he played for a playoff contender with a strong QB. Here's his chance!

Posted by: jwmartin_72 | August 1, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

8-8 here we come

Posted by: DCFanatic | August 1, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

OK Where did Santana go to school again? Oh yeah, nuff said. As for his on field play, his attitude and optimism you can only be impressed. When he came here he was an outspoken thuggish player (remember the school.) but he grew up quickly and has been nothign short of a model player for at least 5 years. Yes he did say good things about Zorns offense. That is called being supportive. He was frustrated like nobodies business but he kept his mouth shut for the most part and now even after Zorn is gone he still mostly keeps the negative talk about it in check.

Of course the first year everyone was praising the Zorn scheme, we were 6-1 mostly for trick plays and taking chances on 4th down late in games to keep possession, and Portis had 850 yards. When he tried to actually win by running plays and implement more of the playbook, Campbell couln't do it and we became predictable. I doubt er are that predictable this year with Mcnabb at QB. Our receivers did not drop a lot of balls last year. Campbell did not trust his stuff so he didn't throw them the ball when it was a tight spot. His QB rating stayed high because he threw less INT, but we lost. I am proud to have Moss on this team and hopefully his hamstrings stay healthy enough to play out the season. If we have to depend on Joey Galloway to go in the playoffs we are in deep doo doo.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | August 1, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse